A Time To Chill

I just finished my trek through four different time zones in four days, from Denver, Los Angeles, Chicago and back to Denver. So, I'm understandably exhausted and confused after waking up in Chicago on Friday, covering the NBA draft combine, writing a story, catching a flight to Denver and covering the Lakers advancing to the NBA Finals. I realized that I was in trouble when I was interviewing James Harden and tried to correct him when he told me that he wouldn't be able to work out with the Washington Wizards until some time in June.

I said, "Late May, you mean."

"No, June," he said.

I had no idea what day of the month it was. I've just been floating along, waking up in different hotels. It's crazy. Before I went to bed on Thursday night, I actually had to ask myself, "Where am I again?"

But I'm not complaining. I think it will be cool to have two bylined stories from two different cities -- 1,000 miles apart -- in the same day. I'm also very thankful that the Lakers spared me from having to go to Los Angeles for Game 7 and making me work in five different time zones in five different days. I will go five-for-five in travel, since I do get to go home to the East Coast and relax for a few days at least.

I wanted to offer up some more information from the pre-draft camp. Like I said, this was unlike other camps because we weren't allowed to watch the participants workout at Attack Athletics Gym. We also didn't have the access to NBA front office executives and scouts -- unless we happened to cross paths with them at Westin hotel, where the prospects were staying.

This draft is quite young and filled with underdeveloped talent, but it could sprout some good players in future years. I think I have a better feel for the personalities of this draft class after speaking with guys for two days. Jonny Flynn can spin yarn with the best of them. DeMar DeRozan is pretty confident. Hasheem Thabeet is charming and able to play Scrabble in four different languages. Blake Griffin is capable of speaking with a soft voice that doesn't qualify as a whisper. DeJaun Blair has lost 40 pounds (from 315 down to 275) since the season ended and has become a huge fan of Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

I also realize that these players had to deal with some unusual interviews with the teams that showed interest in Chicago. NBA teams do incredible background checks on players and use these meetings as an opportunity to ask questions about basketball but also personal questions about their family history, past troubles or lifestyle.

Ty Lawson shared a story about an interview he had with the Memphis Grizzlies. Someone asked him about one of his uncles who was a barber. Lawson had no idea who the guy was talking about until the team representative informed Lawson that his uncle cut his hair. Chase Budinger said one team official asked him if he had a girlfriend, then asked if he had any "friends with benefits." Budinger offered a "no comment." Jordan Hill said that one team official asked him what drink he prefers whenever he goes out to party. Hill's response? "Water with lemon."

I also noticed a few surprises when the league put out the official heights and weights of the players. I was in absolute awe when I saw that Memphis guard Tyreke Evans measured out at 6-4 without shoes, but also had the same wingspan (6-11 ¼) as projected No. 1 overall pick Griffin.

There had been some concern over how tall Griffin would measure out, with some speculating that he was close to being 6-6. He actually came in at 6-8 ½ without shoes and 6-10 with shoes. He said he thought he would measure in at 6-9 and added some humor: "I'm still going play the play the same way. I'm not going to not go inside the paint because I'm [half] of an inch shorter than I thought I was."

Evans, whom the Wizards appear to be pretty high on, recently got an unusual endorsement to go in the top five from an unlikely place. When President Obama was in Las Vegas recently, he met with Phil Maloof, whose family owns the Sacramento Kings owners and the Palms hotel. Maloof asked Obama whom they should select with the fourth pick. Obama told him that he liked Griffin, Thabeet and Evans. Relayed the story again, Evans could help but smile.

"I was shocked," Evans said. "That's big. I didn't even know he knew who I was. I know he watches a lot of college basketball, but for him to mention my name is pretty huge."

Less than a month until David Stern mentions his name.

By Michael Lee  |  May 30, 2009; 9:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 76ers to Hire Ex-Wizards Coach Jordan
Next: You Tell Us: Will You Miss LeBron in the Finals?

Comments

Hey Mike, do you think the Wizards would be interested in Zack Randolph or David lee.
What about giving up Etan thomas, Mike James, Daries Songalia, and the 5th pick for one of those guys.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | May 30, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

tyreke evans would be the perfect pick for us...with shoes, he is close to 6'6" which is his listed height, he played point towards the end of the season for memphis, and played it very well, he is good at driving, kind of like rodney stuckey, however his jumpshot remains his biggest weakness, but can be corrected...worst case i think he is a rodney stuckey....but i think the biggest advantage he gives us, is the option to play gil at the two on offense, but give gil the option to check pg's on defense and evans is big enough to check sg's on defense

Posted by: jasonma1 | May 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

if we had rubio, playing gil at the 2 would have its consequences on defense, but with evans we would not suffer as much of a liability on defense, while at the same time having the benefits of gil playing the 2 on offense

Posted by: jasonma1 | May 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Take Evans send Stevenson to Albany.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | May 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

damn. it's like you are in Fight Club or something.

You're not organizing groups of revolutionaries without realizing it, are you?

Posted by: truthaboutit | May 30, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Pre-draft measurements can be found here:

Posted by: yop32 | May 30, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

DeJuan is 6'5/25" without shoes. NO WAY NO HOW !!

He should not even be a consideration for the first round by us or anyone else.

DeRozan has good size. Curry is a legit 6'2". Harden is 6'4". These are all without shoes.

The pick for us should be either Derozan, Harden or Jordan Hill (6'9.25").

I'd take the kid from USC because he can play 2 positions. He has relatively short arms for his position and that's a concern but if we're drafting for need, we need a 2 guard who can play the 3 if necessary.

For potential, Hill is probably the guy.

Posted by: original_mark | May 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Take Earl Clark. With his length and athleticism combined with three years at Louisville, he's probably better prepared to full court press in the NBA than anyone on the planet. Pressing skill is not highly valued in the NBA, but IMO, a full court pressing unit of Crit, Nick, Dom, Earl Clark, and Javale would wreak some serious havoc for, say, 6-8 minutes a game.

Out of the players that will be available when we pick, Earl Clark is the only one that has a truly elite skill to contribute immediately.

Posted by: yop32 | May 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"DeJuan is 6'5/25" without shoes. NO WAY NO HOW !!"

But his wingspan is 7'2", longer than Hill or Griffin! (This is not an endorsement, just point out the stats.)

Posted by: sagaliba | May 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'll almost bet Blair goes in the top 10. My biggest concern would not be on the court, but off it. Can he get himself in top notch shape? He seems to be answering that with a yes. Apparently there's some teams very impressed with him right now.

But the big question is, can he maintain weight and conditioning over the long haul? That's going to be the big unknown with the guy. He's apparently been over 350 at times. He's kind of like the tackle that the Redskins have brought in, except Williams apparently was over the 400lbs mark for awhile.

My quess is that Thabeet could possibly still be there at the five. Hill's the guy that could surprise some people, my quess is Memphis takes him at the two if they can't deal down.

OK City seems very high on Harden, they'd like to get paid well to drop back a spot or two and still take him. Apparently they've been rebuffing the offers of some teams that are later in the lottery to swap picks. So that would indicate they've targeted a guy that's in the top 5 or 6 picks.

Everyone seems to feel the Kings really like Rubio, of the top 5, he'd like to go to the Clippers, Kings or the Wiz. No way the Clippers pick him over Griffin, and I don't see him lasting past the 4th pick.

Under that scenario, Thabeet drops to the 5th pick. I'd say the two guys the Wiz would be considering the most would be Evans and Thabeet. My opinion would be take Thabeet. He fills a big need, and he's the more mature guy.

Evans could be one heck of a player down the road. I like the idea of pairing him with Gil, that could be a monster backcourt. Evans would be similar to a young Hughes in many ways.

He's big enough and talented enough to defensively take on the other team's best guard. And he can get to the rack too. Shooting is his weakness right now, but most guys have to develop NBA 3 ball range. Larry was a terrible shooter when he first got here too.

If Ernie thinks he could mature into a D Wade kind of guy, then I think he'll go that way. But, the Wiz have more options to fill the two. Either on the roster or through a trade.

Backup center is a glaring hole and Thabeet seems to be the man to fill it...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Griffin has no length. Oklahoma will get him now.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Griffin has a shorter wingspan than Nick Young!

Posted by: yop32 | May 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wingspan is not everything. Jeff Ruland has the shortest arms (relative to his height) I've ever seen, but he was a force to be dealt with in the post, and he was a top rebounder when he was in NBA.

Posted by: sagaliba | May 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna say something nice about Michael Lee but thought someone at the W Post might see it and move him from here to a more visible job. Speaking of movers how is Ivan (you remember him?) doing on TV. I haven't caught him since he made the big jump.

Posted by: VBFan | May 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VBFan |

From what I can tell from watching WaPo Live, Ivan seems to be enjoying his new gig - he has added a few tweaks to the show and really tries to make it entertaining.

Ivan himself needs a bit of polishing, though :) But then again he was handed an hour long show and that is a lot for a "rookie."

I'm still wondering why Russ Thaler is no longer the host - can anyone enlighten me?

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"O-Mark, Blair is almost the exact same height as Unseld. I'm not saying he will have the career that Unseld had, but 6'5" guys can play inside in the NBA."

Last I checked, it wasn't 1978 anymore.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Last I checked guys like Russell, Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, and the rest could fair just fine in today's game.

Blair will do just fine on the court if he can maintain his weight, just like Unseld, Dantley, and Barkley all managed to. I don't thing any of those guys had Blair's wingspan either. Dantley could have been close.

In today's NBA Brand is probably the closest comparison to Blair, prior to the injuries he seemed to hold his own in this league too.

When looking at these guy's height, got to take a look at their neck's too. Bosh has a two inches of his height tied up in a long neck. Haven't seen where the extra neck helps him a bit. He's a 6'9" guy with a really long neck. Jamison outperforms him accross the board.

And Nate Tiny Archibald could play on anybody's team, now or then, at less then 6'. Made the Allstar team, lead the league in scoring and assists, and has a ring too.

Pound for pound maybe one of the best to ever play, at any height...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 30, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Wonder why Amare Stoudemire was in DC and on the radio saying I Love DC and the wizards are a No. 1 jersey away from a possible championship - Wizards sports bog. Are we trying to get him i wonder.

Posted by: washwiz | May 30, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Les BouleS have no business considering point guards, shooting guards, or small forwards. The roster is already stocked with those dudes.

Les BouleS should be focusing on a 4 who has skills inside the paint and on defense.

I've mentioned Amare for the past 2 years as trade potential. Some here have said that he's not the answer b/c he has no inside game and is a terrible defender. If this is true, we all should get over the name "Amare" as if Amare = KG, and move on.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 30, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Thabeet and a Tarheel.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 30, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: washwiz | May 30, 2009 5:50 PM

If we are, what would we have to give up and would it really make us better than we already are?

I don't know if I can answer yes, unequivocably at this point.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 30, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"Wes Unseld by 1978-79 was winding down his career. During his Career Wes played against most of the 50 greatest from the first 50 years in the NBA and held his own."

Which is a fairly obvious (yet oddly unmentioned by you) result of Unseld himself being one of the 50 greatest ever. Unseld had a level of talent, skill, and physical ability that helped him compensate for his size deficit. Blair doesn't. Unless you're predicting that Blair is going to end up on a greatest ever list, comparing him to Unseld is ridiculous.

Blair is an undersized, floor bound, long-armed post player with a penchant for weight issues. Wes Unseld? Please. Try Oliver Miller.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Bye Cleveland!

Thank god! Queen James no rings yet!

And...Charles is saying how Cleveland has an old team...hmmm...sounds just like a post I had within the last month or so when talking about the Eastern Conference and the Cavs becoming a dynasty we won't get past (someones assertion).

Wally, Z, Ben, Smith are all OLD! What is their core? LeBron, if he stays, and Mop Top and Mo Williams...that shouldn't scare anybody as far as a dynasty goes.

I'm telling you the Wiz are going to be in the thick of things next year and the next 3 years. Orlando proved that 3/4 really good players CAN beat a superstar. Lets hope the Wiz were taking notes!

Posted by: rphilli721 | May 30, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

james the 2010 free man will never win shampionship in ohio.As Garnet fail in the twin cities.KG was an MVP but gave the western confrence shampionship to the 350lb 7.1 dominant center. James has to go and join a big man like gasol, howard or Duncon, other wise his time will run out before he knows it.Ny or NJ are going to start their home work to continue to clear their spot to give him what ever he ask.His move was akind of on the air because of the 66 wins,every body was thinking that he is going to play against kobe with a better chance of winning.This notion is over now,washington need to be patient to land an excellent veteran that could be kicked off from the so called 2010 market runners.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert did you noticed how one player (LeBron)cannot beat a "TEAM"! Kobe learned his lesson after getting Shaq traded, that he could not win a championship till he got some players and was willing to sacrifice his own stats in order to win.

Let's see next year if the Wizards have learned anything from watching the playoffs or will they play the same way. Gil, dribble, dribble, shoot, takes 25 shots and the other players BTH stand around waiting to see what he is going to do next.

I'm sorry but if Gil comes back and plays the same way he did before he got hurt, I will not be able to watch the Wizards game this season.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 31, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Amare would make us a title contender....IMMEDIATELY.

Trade the pick, Jamison, and Mike James
for Amare

(though they might want Blatche)

Starting 5:

Gil
Deshawn
Caron
Amare
Haywood

Bench:
J-Critt
NY
Dom
Blatche
McGee

Posted by: Gtown87 | May 31, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 31, 2009 12:07 AM

I agree with you there... But Lebron HAD to beat Orlando by himself. His team sucks. If Lebron had half the help Gil has they would be heading home for a game 7 right now.

Posted by: CBell29 | May 31, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Lebron did not even have the decency to congratulate the Magic. He walked off the court immediately and did not even participate in the post game presser.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 31, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBell29 | May 31, 2009 12:27 AM

He had enough help to win 66 games?

MJ use to try and take over games but couldn't do it either and when he did score 40-50 points they lost.

A great player makes the other players on his team better.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 31, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking Evans more and more. I wanted Hill at first, but now I hope Evans is our pick. He should be a really good fit with Gil in the backcourt. I think he quickly steps in as the starting SG, and can also play some 1 essentially giving us a 3rd pg. NY continues as our designated scorer off the bench. But I think Evans can be a Larry Hughes type, maybe with even more scoring and playmaking potential. Penny Hardaway isn't a bad comparison either IMO. Stevenson moves to vet defensive sub if not able to trade him. Arenas, Evans, Young, Crittenton, Stevenson is a pretty solid roster of guards.

Then try to bring in a vet PF/C rebounder ... preferably for any combination of Etan, James, Songaila, Pecherov, Veremeenko, our 2nd round pick, future 1st. Maybe someone like a Camby, Zach Randolph or Troy Murphy.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 31, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Amare is coming here my sources tell me.

Posted by: ptp23 | May 31, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptp23 | May 31, 2009 2:54 AM | Report abuse

...interesting how a Cleveland/Bron loss/whupping takes some of the sting out of a mizerable Wiz season. That team put all their eggs in this season's basket. I don't see how they repeat the next year. All their role players seem ready for retirement, yet they are stuck with the big contracts...except for Wally. Bron showed what a spoiled selfish person he really is, throwing his teammates under the bus and hiding in it himself after the loss. Trade him now before you lose him and get nothing. And btw I would like him on my team...

Posted by: oddjob2 | May 31, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Amare is already here. For the Vision Council's Vision Summit.

It's going to be funny seeing Amare playing in goggles next year.

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The Mike Brown/Danny Ferry dynamic duo take the blame for the Cavs' loss. How can a team with LeBron James be unable to find a lineup that matches up with Orlando? LeBron is probably capable of pulling a Magic Johnson and playing all five positions, and even with all of that flexibility, Mike Brown/Danny Ferry couldn't find one decent lineup? Pathetic. Even worse, if they had recognized the deficiency in their lineup, they could have easily traded Szczerbiak's expiring contract to fill the gap. The Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year in action.

Sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

(Heh. "LeBron is... pulling a Magic Johnson....")

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Just need to make a couple quick comments after watching LeBoohoo crap out of the playoffs last night:

1) These NBA games are actually entertaining and interesting to watch when LeTravel isn't getting all the calls all the time. Right now, in my book, the NBA is dead-even with WWE in terms of sports legitimacy, but after this series it might bump up a notch. I was proud of the refs for not buckling under the pressure and calling fouls on Magic players for looking at LeWitnessMyTeam'sMeltdown cross-eyed.

2) How many washed-up or under-performing teammates does it take to steal someone's glory? Just ask LeCrabDribble...let's see we have Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Wally Scxzwecvchzxerbiak, Mo Williams...

3) Can we all just admit it openly? Mike Brown is the biggest stooge of a head coach in the NBA. How much coaching acumen does it take to design one play - give the ball to LeCharge at the top of the key and let him do whatever. Real coaches are supposed to do stuff like get production out of everyone on the team, design different kinds of plays, instill confidence and motivation in players. I mean they already have Gatorade-carriers, they don't need to give one the title of "head coach".

4) The cherry on the sundae was reading about how LeCrybabay went full-fledged crybaby and stormed out of the lockerroom without talking to anyone afterwards. Talk about a sore loser. He loves to preen and smile and joke with reporters after big wins, but all the endorsements in the world does not add up to having stones enough to stand up after a big loss and take it like a man.

5) My final thought is about that whole MVPuppets commercial. As I write this, some Nike exec is chewing out David Stern on the phone, demanding answers for why he didn't lean on the zebras and deliver the finals matchup that he promised them. Stern is telling them to go and cram their LeGrimaceAndHoldMyJawLikeSomeoneJustColdCockedMeWithBrassKnuckles doll and come up with a Dwight puppet.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone forgetting we have good players on this team now. We just happen to have the worst coaching in the history of the game. We have good young talent (Young, McGee, Blatche, Crit, McGuire). These guys can play and with a new coach and a new Gil the Wiz will be exciting to watch. I do think we need to move Jamison to allow for the continued growth of the young guys.

This team needs to add someone who has skills, height and is very athletic. Austin Daye has all of that. He is vastly underated. This guy can play and because of his dad he's been around the game his whole life. With Haywood (7'0), McGee (7'0), and Daye (6'10") in the lineup this could be alot of fun for Gil (throw it up and go get it). Daye will play the sm forward with good hands and he can shoot the 3. Even if he come off the bench this would be an upgrade in talent. Move Butler to the 2 were he and Young can share time.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | May 31, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Amare, Is he the solution for washington poor defense? Washington's offense might improve but would not be close to the top 3 eastern confrence teams.I would not bring amare's contract in washington and give up on jamison with out any significant improvment on the defense.The only player that i could give up jamison is Bossh. he is acomplete PF who can continue to learn posting, play better defense than boozer and amare and he is as hamble as jamison to play with arenas.
I will say it again and again, no need to attempt moving jamison to improve PF position just try to add a good veteran to play behind him or could start and make him come from the bench.The only starting position washington need to improve is SG.The main focus should be to get a big man to help both Hayhood and jamison not to replace them unless we har getting Haward or Bosh.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 31, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

i cant wait to GA shut u guys up ...u were so cavs when they beat us ..i hope arenas seen LB hit the game winner now its i hope GA seen u cant be a one man show...he called boston fans band wagon jumpers im callin all u band wagon jumper..if u see the game he was there standin next to orlando GM and it looks like he lost alot of weight there reportin he lost 20 pounds since the season ended .reports say he came n last week and was 207 ..I sign of commentment...so lets be happy for our team orlando is n the finales they were behide us 2 years ago we should be excited about the up coming season...lets be fans and stop be critics

Posted by: MrNoOne | May 31, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Jamison can't defend most 4s which is why he is a defensive liability....atleast Amare cn do that.

And he would improve our offense so much that we would easily be able to compete with Boston, Orlando, Cleveland.

I think we would match up perfectly with Boston with Amare vs. KG

Cleveland has no PF that can stop Amare

Orlando would probably have to put Howard on him making Haywood's game easier

Posted by: Gtown87 | May 31, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Jamison for Amare would not be an equitable move.

It would be like exchanging one fifty dollar bill for another one.

Amare's pasture might look pretty damn green, but it is no greener than Jamison's.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 31, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Amare's forte is scoring, not defense even though it is better than Jamison's.

I believe that without checking the stats that Jamison's scoring and rebounding is better if not equal to that of Amare.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 31, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Orlando is a bad match-up for Cleveland. They really don’t have PF, but have 2 very good SFs (and this works only because they have a dominate C). OTOH, Cleveland don't really have SF other than LeBron. Since LeBron plays heavy minutes, this is usually not a problem for Cleveland. However, playing against Orlando, who have two SFs on the court all the time (3 men rotation among Lewis, Turkoglu and Pietrus), LeBron can only guard one of them and leave the other to either a PF (such as Varejao), or one of the guards. Varejao simply is not agile enough to keep up with SFs, and the guards aren’t tall enough to challenge their shots (both Lewis and Turkoglu are listed at 6'10"). In a sense, LeBron was right in saying they need to clone him.

Oh, don't bother mention Szczerbiak, he is a liability in any position.

Posted by: sagaliba | May 31, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Amare is a better scorer and rebounder than Jamison. The numbers are similar on a per game basis, but Amare gets his points and rebounds in fewer minutes.

Defensively, Amare might be even worse than Jamison. Not only does Amare suck at that end of the floor, he also commits lots and lots of fouls. However, Amare might be able to turn his defense around. If he tried harder and played smarter, he might be a decent defender. Antawn, on the other hand, already plays intelligently and puts in a decent effort. He just doesn't have the physical tools.

Antawn is able to play a lot more minutes than Amare because his game is based on guile rather than physical ability and especially because he is good at avoiding fouls. That was incredibly useful a few years ago. The less playing time for scrubs like Ruffin, the better. These days, we're trying to find minutes for our young bigs, so Antawn's ability to play 40+ minutes a game isn't as useful.

Antawn is much better in the locker room than Amare. Antawn has also proven to be much less injury prone.

Currently, overall, Amare's an upgrade over Jamison, but not by as much as the casual fan believes.

For the future, Amare still has a lot of room for improvement, so he could turn out to be much better in a couple of years. On the other hand, Amare could get injured or turn into a team cancer. He could also decide to leave next year when he becomes a free agent.

My take is that Amare is a gamble that isn't worth taking. Instead, we could gamble by trying an unorthodox strategy like the full court press.

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Amare is a better scorer and rebounder than Jamison. "

Not so much that you'd notice. For their careers, Jamison is 20 and 8 and Stoudemire is 21 and 9 (with Jamison averaging about 2 1/2 more mpg). As a matter of fact, the general consensus has always been that Stoudemire is actually a subpar rebounder for a guy with his size and athleticism. (He's only come close to averaging 10 rpg for a season (9.6) once in his entire career.) He's also become more and more reliant on his jumpshot and been spending less time in the paint on offense over the last couple of years. Then there's his defense. Or rather, then there's not his defense, because he doesn't play any.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Jamison has been one of the wizards, big three, who has played most of the season's without any serious injuries. Even when he did I remember him saying that he heals fast and he knows his body, or something like that. I wouldnt want to get rid of Jamison.

Posted by: washwiz | May 31, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Amare has been seriously injured? yes and that's what scares me, listen we've already got one player(Gilbert)who's stayed on the injured list the last two years and that is why we don't need Stoudimire,draft wise i like Blair he has size and a nose for the ball i would package the serial skirt chaser(Blatche) with ET(no not Sam Cassell)for the right's to get Blair after using our #1 to get Evans.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 31, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

thing is, Amare is like 10 yrs younger than Jamison, Jamison isn't gonna improve, Amare will

Posted by: Gtown87 | May 31, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

GILBERT guarding LeBRON. What a mismatch. LeBRON might get 100.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 31, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

------------

I'm tired of hearing about how Lebron doesn't have a supporting cast. All this season they were talking about how he finally has a team to back up his play. How they were the best team in the NBA. Nobody said his supporting cast was a liability until they got to Orlando.

Fact is, Orlando outplayed them. That's not the fault of the Cavalier's supporting cast. That's Orlando playing good basketball and outmatching them. Give credit where it's due instead of trying to place blame.

Posted by: crs-one | May 31, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Superman showed up big time. As others have alluded too, it is astounding how Lebron gets so many non-fouls called on his defenders.

Practically in call cases he is extending to initiate the contact. Now if that is smart on his part, why isn't those types of fouls being called for others as much.

And yeah, I know stars get preferential treatment, but these calls for Lebron go a bit far.

Kobe and Michael never get/got the type of fathom fouls they are calling for Lebron.

If the NBA wants Lebron to be King so bad, it ain't working. I said the other day, that Lebron might end up a better version of a high flying Dominique Wilkins.

If the right decisions are not made by him, and whatever Team he stays with or goes to, an NBA Ring he might never get.

Superman and Petrie deserve enormous credit for exposing the enormous number of non-fouls that were called for Lebron. Lebron just took the ball and drove into them initiating the contact when they were in perfect defensive position.

The last time I checked the defensive player as a right to his position on the floor and the refs totally ignored this when Lebron had the ball.

Dwight Howard in this series easily outplayed Lebron. He elevated his whole game and when he spoke out a series back people said he should not have did it in public, they were wrong.

He did what a leader needed to do to put everybody into gear, and sometimes in order to get everybody on the same page, you have to take the unpopular approach.

I don't know if Superman has a contract with Nike, but as the TNT crew has been saying, Superman should be showing up pretty quick in those Muppet Commercials.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 31, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Thank you yop32.You got it right.Amare will go to NY not to washington.
for your information , no body in this world knows clearly about the eye injury amare sustained.retinal detachment is a major injury, that could happen again and even could be a reason for this young man to stop playing.On the other hand he is an other 100 million guy looking for the 2010 opportunity.The wiz should not gamble on him.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 31, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"kalo, what happens to Amare's career averages if you throw out his first couple of years? Unlike Antawn, he came to the NBA straight out of high school. Those early years of adjusting to the NBA without college experience pull down his career averages."

Nope. Stoudemire averaged just under 9 rebounds per game as a rookie, right at his career average. He averaged just under 14 ppg as a rookie, then went up to about 20 his second year, right around his average. So much for an adjustment. True, Stoudemire did have the season where he only played about 4 games because of the knee surgery and only averaged about 8 or 9 ppg. But none of this matters or has any impact on the comparison.

Jamison only played about 50 games his rookie year and averaged about 10 and 6, worse than Stoudemire did as a rookie . He also had a year where he came off the bench in Dallas and averaged just under 15 ppg and about 6 rpg, career lows since his rookie year. So both guys have a couple of off years on their record, in which they put up pretty similar numbers. No harm no foul either way.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Just curious... what would you all think about trading for Boozer? He's reportedly saying Jazz is looking to move him.

A deal of Etan and James with the draft pick works salary wise.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 31, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

To put it in concrete terms:

Jamison's average in his rookie year and his year off the bench in Dallas: 12 pts and 6 rebs. Stoudemire's average in his rookie year and his injury year: 11 pts and 7 rebs.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

No thanks on Boozer. He's not really a power player and he's injury prone.

Has he officially opted out of his contract yet? Because if he has, the only way to get him would be a sign and trade, which would mean tethering the Wiz to another big, long-term deal for a guy pushing up on 30 who can't carry a team. If he hasn't, they run the risk of him leaving after next season (when his contract expires without the opt out) and having nothing to show for it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe throw in the 33rd pick too and get back Utah's #20. Maybe pick up Teague or Budinger at 20.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 31, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing that Boozer does that Jamison doesn't do as well or better.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Another deal that works is Etan, James, Blatche with the pick for Brand.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 31, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Same package also works for Zach Randolph.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 31, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

They might work salary wise, but I don't think the Jazz or 76ers are really anxious to clear salary space that desperately. Maybe the Blatche for Brand, but I'm not sure I would even want that (and I'm not a big Blatche fan). Also, the 76ers might consult Eddie Jordan, and I doubt EJ would want Blatche back.

Maybe for Randolph, but I would imagine the Clippers would look to reduce their backlog at power forward. Also, would Randolph pose any locker room problems?

If you're really going to go on the grift with these expiring contracts, you have to find someone who is really desperate to unload

Posted by: crs-one | May 31, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Give up ET, MJ, DS AND the 5th pick for Zack Thomas or David Lee????......come on Brandonjamal13..sure you're getting rid of two huge contracts.....but neither one of those guys are that good to addd the 5th pick for them.

Posted by: skyerocket1969 | May 31, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Oops....Zack Randolph.

Posted by: skyerocket1969 | May 31, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I might be keen on giving up the 5th pick for David Lee. He's developed enough to have an impact but still young enough to give some continuity down the road.

I haven't watched him enough to know if he's a power forward or a small forward. I know the Knicks even had him playing center some. If he was quick enough at small forward, and Butler could play the 2 (assuming that his problems at the 2 this year were the fault of the system/coaching) that would give some nice depth.

The Knicks are obviously looking to clear cap space, but they have to keep some people around to build a team. They may want one of the youth instead of DS.

Posted by: crs-one | May 31, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody really say they want Elton Brand????

He's played like 10 games the last 3 years....thats a big HELL NO

Posted by: Gtown87 | May 31, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

If we keep the pick we gotta go Harden. He could be a starter as a rookie because he's not only a scorer but a playmaker and a much better defender than NY.

Honestly, I think it may be time to give up on Blatche. He just doesn't get it, plenty of talent but he's not there mentally.

I think we should keep NY but he has to understand his role. He needs to play limited minutes every game as a scorer only until he improves the rest of his game. But he could be our toned down JR Smith off the bench.

Songaila is a solid backup and I prefer him over Blatche becuz he understands his role. I just see Blatche as very very good trade bait.

Posted by: Gtown87 | May 31, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"Any way you slice it, however, Stoudemire's numbers are not really any better than Jamison's."

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 5:19 PM

Nope. Here's the right way to slice it:

Antawn since he turned 22:
19.9 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.

Amare since he turned 22:
23.2 points and 9.0 rebounds per game.

And on a per minute basis, Amare looks even better:

Antawn since he turned 22:
21.6 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Amare since he turned 22:
26.9 points and 10.4 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"AJ was 22 years old when he played his first real NBA game. When comparing the two, it is only fair to look at Stoudemire's numbers starting with the 2004-2005 season, which is the season when he turned 22.

Antawn since he turned 22:
19.9 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.

Amare since he turned 22:
23.2 points and 9.0 rebounds per game.

And on a per minute basis, Amare looks even better:

Antawn since he turned 22:
21.6 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Amare since he turned 22:
26.9 points and 10.4 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Posted by: yop32 | May 31, 2009 9:14 PM "

I'd take AS in a heart beat for MeTawn.

He may or may not be an all world defender, but he's a shot blocking threat at the 4 (1.47 vs. .38) unlike MeTawn.

Les BouleS don't need a 4 like MeTawn who likes to roam around the 3 pt line rather than mix it up in the paint.

AS averages .541 in FG's, while MeTawn averages .456.

Believe it or not, AS gets to the line much more than MeTawn, AND shoots at a higher percentage at the FT line.

AS is also 6 years younger.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

'AJ was 22 years old when he played his first real NBA game. When comparing the two, it is only fair to look at Stoudemire's numbers starting with the 2004-2005 season, which is the season when he turned 22.".

Not only is that not "fair" it's arbitrary nonsense. They were both putting up all-star numbers from their 2nd year in the league, so the suggestion that Stoudemire's first few years were spent "adjusting" and somehow don't count towards his career output is complete, utter, unadulterated horsecrap.

That being said, would I trade Stoudemire for Jamison? Sure. Stoudemire is younger with more room for growth and Jamison has done pretty much all he can do for this team. But do I think adding Stoudemire would make the Wizards contenders? No. He's just as much a "numbers guy" as Jamison's detractors accuse him of being and he has never come close to showing he can carry a team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

You see the bottom line is for those of you who think the AS AJ trade works is to ask yourself this question.

What is the value added for the Wizards Team?

My vote is none. It's a fifty fifty trade based on talent and experience.

Amarie, though a respectable NBA player would not command the intangibles that AJ already has with this Team, but surely he could earn it in a Season or two.

Why waste time on a Fifty Fifty trade when clearly it is unequivocably better to add a power forward of this type and that plays better D' than the both of them.

Those that keep wanting to swap the core are missing the most important pieces we need to add to this Team.

And we need to add those pieces by first:

JD's slot, followed by any combination of these slots, Etan, MJ, Pech, DSon, and DStev.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 31, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

"They were both putting up all-star numbers from their 2nd year in the league,...

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 9:40 PM "

To say that AS was putting up all star numbers in his 2nd season is a testament to how good he is, as he skipped college. Didn't spend 3 years at UNC honing his skills.

AS may or may not be a numbers guy, but if he is, then he's got better numbers across the boards except for 3 point shooting.

AS's much higher FG percentage and FT percentage indicates that he's a much more efficient shooter, and less about a high scoring average based on taking a lot of shots. MeTawn averages more shots during his career with a lower scoring average.

One huge numbers category advantage is in blocked shots average, and AS has it hands down 4:1. Block shots in fact is not just a stat that one can get via garbage minutes.

Block shots is about desire, timing, and willingness to mix it up and challenge the opponent. Not surprised AS has suffered at least 1 broken nose. These defensive minded traits are what Les BouleS is currently lacking and definitely in need of at the 4 position.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

"Swapping our core while still carrying those guys does not make the Team better.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 31, 2009 11:26 PM "

I guess you're content with 2nd worst team (really worst) in the league status quo.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

"But, if you facter in the importance of Jamison to the franchise and the fan base, then AJ gets the edge."

I agreed with that when I thought there was a still a chance of the "Big 3" paying off. But I really don't see much chance of that now. Yes, Jamison is a better leader and a better locker room presence, but that only really helps if they're in position to win (or at least moving in that direction). They may have gotten all the benefit they can from Jamison's intangibles..

I do agree that in terms of what happens on court, the trade would be pretty much a wash. The upside is that they'd get a much younger player going forward to be part of the core. The downside is that (A) that player isn't likely to produce much more in the way of results than Jamison and (B) they'd have to pay through the nose to keep him. Bottom line, swapping Jamison for Stoudemire isn't going to get the team any closer to the promised land without a lot of other major changes. but it would serve the cosmetic function of making the fans think there was some kind of plan being implemented. That alone should by Grunfeld a couple of years' reprieve.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Stoudemire is a very talented player, with a couple caveats:

1) he doesn't play much defense. He can block shots.
2) he's impatient with half-court play. Amar'e's game is to beat his man down the court and go to the hoop or pull up for a short jumper.
3) He's very strong, but not always a physical presence inside.
4) He needs to be involved in the game. If the action doesn't flow his way, he can lose focus.

As a player at least, you could make a case that Stoudemire resembles a younger, taller, stronger Antwan Jamison. Not an ideal comparison, but it has some validity.

I guess I don't see why a GM would trade Stoudemire for basketball reasons. Other reasons, sure, but basketball-wise, he's one of the league's better players. But as we've seen here in Washington, there are plenty of fans who can't see Jamison's obvious effort and contributions to the Wiz, so I suppose there are folks in Phoenix who think the Suns ought to dump Amar'e.

That's basketball for ya.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Reading the Sacramento sites, looks like the prevailing theory is that Ed Jordan rapidly lost interest in the Kings once it became clear they weren't getting Griffin. Do you blame him?

The problem in Philly is the same ohe that got Cheeks -- what do you do with a premier low post player when the rest of your team seems to play better without one?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"You're entire post, again, made absolutely no sense as usual as you didn't define your 50-50 analysis/grading."

That was explained way back up the thread.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 1, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

On the subject of the importance of the blocked shot as a defensive measure -- I'd argue that for big men at least, it's not all that important. First, because the better the player is at blocking shots, the fewer opportunities he's likely to get over time, because many opponents will simply avoid him. Second, because the other coaching strategy regarding a serious shot blocker is to take the ball right at him -- 'freezing' him and hopefully yielding an easy dish or possibly a foul.

Some centers who finish high in blocks are active, physical guys like Howard or Chris Andersen, but others are mainly tall, stationary players who turn to the left or right to interfere with put up a big hand in the face of someone going to the hoop. That's the Mark Eaton model and quite possibly what Thabeet will turn out to be. That has value but of a very different sort. The stationary guy will alter shots, and that might turn out to be more valuable than blocking them.

So although blocks per game or per minute might reflect a certain type of defensive success, it often doesn't make a lot of difference in the won-loss record. You can compare it to some of the commonly collected stats in baseball -- it tells you something about the player, but not a whole lot about his importance to the team.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should read: "Some centers who finish high in blocks are active, physical guys like Howard or Chris Andersen, but others are mainly tall, stationary players who turn to the left or right to interfere with someone going to the hoop."

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

That's the biggest difference between the 2. AS is a big guy who relies on athleticism and he has knee and cartilage problems. AJ is floor bound and relies on guile and skill. He's also a better 3 point shooter. That 3 point skill is the Cav killer. We need a guy who can score from outside the 3 point line.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

A last comment on shot blockers -- because big centers don't always get an opportunity to turn and jump, the measurement called 'max reach' is important. That means a player like Elton Brand has a significant advantage over a player like Blake Griffin in blocking shots, simply because Brand has a freaky reach and Griffin has short arms.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

original: "Why is no one mentioning the dreaded 'M' word when they compare AJ and Stoudemire. Microfracture."

Well, because he seems healed. But yeah, you're right -- that's in the back of every GM's mind at trade time.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"the suggestion that Stoudemire's first few years were spent "adjusting" and somehow don't count towards his career output is complete, utter, unadulterated horsecrap."

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 9:40 PM

Posted by: yop32 | June 1, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with Kal's assertion that Boozer isn't much better than AJ. I expected to see CB have more FT attempts but in reality, he's a jump shooter like AJ. He also doesn't block shots, either.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

With all the deadwood on this team, why are so many people looking for ways to part company with AJ?

Swapping AJ for Boozer or Stoudemire adds little if anything, and still leaves the team without a viable 2 guard ... this does not mean a star when you look at what Orlando has done with Courtney Lee and Mickhal Pietrus, it just means a couple of guys with the ability to put up decent PER numbers. Plus a solid banger off the bench.

The retooling that needs to be done with this roster is at the 5, 6, 7 and 8 spots in the rotation, not at the top.

Posted by: khrabb | June 1, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"That 3 point skill is the Cav killer.

Posted by: original_mark"

Gotta disagree there. The inside post-presence is the Cav killer. The 3-ball just happens to be a product of that. You won't be raining 3s on the Cavs without getting them to commit multiple defenders to the post first.

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

yop: "Horsecrap? That's your opinion of the value of Antawn's college experience? Three years at North Carolina is horsecrap? One year playing for Bill Guthridge, two years for Dean Smith- horsecrap? The experience of two runs to the Final Four is horsecrap?"

You may have missed the point. The 'horsecrap' is the idea that Stoudemire's first few years in the League would be discounted because he didn't go to college. He was effective from the start -- probably the most immediate impact of anybody til LeBron arrived.

Playing college ball can be a definite advantage in terms of building skills, but prodigies like Kevin Garnett, Amare, LeBron, ahd Howard certainly didn't need it. In fact, they might not have benefited from it. Recall what the wag said about Dean Smith? That he was the only person who ever held Michael Jordan under 20 points a game?

I think the college game and the pro game are increasingly different. Playing three years at a top college program might not help a supertalent become a better pro, and may interfere with his development, especially if he struggles academically. That's why I think you'll see more top HS kids consider going overseas for a year the way Brandon Jennings and now Jeremy Tyler are doing. It's a better training ground for pro ball than Duke or UNC.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

The "adjustment" argument is horsecrap? Maybe.

The use of his projected statistics based on his recent seasons is not, though. In the correct offense, Stoudemire can put up 25+ ppg, even with having multiple threats being spread the ball. Jamison, at this point in his career, cannot. Jamison is a volume shooter who has shot over .470 only twice in his career (over 11 seasons). The only time Stoudemire has ever shot .470 or less was a season in which he played 3 games total. His other 6 seasons (out of 7) have all been over .470, four of which has been over .500 (his 4 most recent healthy seasons).

Of course, that comes with the caveat that Stoudemire stays healthy, which he has not proven to be able to do consistently, unlike Jamison.

As a talent, I'd take Stoudemire any day over Jamison, especially at this point in their careers. Factoring in injuries, it becomes a little more difficult. I know I would NOT trade for Amare if it meant giving up Jamison and the draft pick. I would do it for James/Thomas/Blatche/draft pick. And if Phoenix is truly in rebuilding mode, they may consider that (two expiring deals, a young talent, and a top 5 pick for a guy who's likely to leave anyway).

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

It is not the right time to think innvolving our core on trade, it could be considered in the midseason if the team is not on the right direction with the new coach.We have already ignored the chance when we resign them, if we do it now it will be like a clippers type of action. clippers had only two players from 2007-08 to play in 2008-09 season,the action was clearly visualized on the out come.
There is no need to hesitate to involve the pick,and all players but the big 3 and haywood on the trade provided that the intension is to improve the team and it is done smartly.Sangalia has a defined role and could be productive but he is too expenssive to his production and his weakness on the rebound is hurting the team. since our PF is a great offenssive player and we have no reason to move him now, we need to provide him with a defenssive minded big man with a good rebounding effort.blache as we all said it before is not yet their, i will not have any reason to hesitate to trade him. The only positive thing about blache is a very high chance of improvment in his game in the coming season since he is in his contract year.
david lee is a good player, he can impact our systeam, he can get heavy minutes from Aj, CB and BH.NY might be interested in one of our expiring contract and nick young and the pick.if they sign lee and put him on market i think EG should have a wide eye on him.
Boozer is looking for miami, Jazz are not despirate to use him either they will sign him or late him go, he will not be in a trade market, let us not waste our time on him.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 1, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

psps: "...Jamison is a volume shooter who has shot over .470 only twice in his career (over 11 seasons). The only time Stoudemire has ever shot .470 or less was a season in which he played 3 games total. His other 6 seasons (out of 7) have all been over .470, four of which has been over .500"

True enough, but misleading. Though both are listed at PF, Jamison and Stoudemire are very different players. Stoudemire plays close to the basket and scores the bulk of his points on dunks, short turnarounds, and on the receiving end of fast breaks. It's only since his severe injury that he even learned to shoot a jumper. Jamison has in recent years become more of a jump shooter -- even a 3 point threat. His shooting percentage will naturally be lower.

Compare Jamison to Rashard Lewis, another guy who's listed as a PF but has developed into something different. Lewis averaged 17.7 points, 5.6 boards, and 0.6 blocks this past season. By comparison, Jamison averaged 22.2, 8.9 bounds, and an even more measly 0.3 blocks. Lewis hit aomost 40% of his 3 pointers; Jamison a bit more than 35%. Both are effective from range. Amare, for all his talent, would never earn his keep that way.

SUre, I'd trade Antwan for Amare, but that doesn't mean Amare is a better basketball player, just that he's younger and plays a position of need. Still, I think the Phoenix FO would have to huff nitrous for a couple days to get crazy enough.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

There is six slots that needs to be retooled.

JD, Etan, MJ, Pech, DSon, and DStev. Getting those done in my book is extremely more important than swapping your core players for somewhat equal pedigree.

You see, your core may not be as good as you would like it to, but if you can upgrade the supporting cast, it makes the core and the Team better.

And it is very plausible that one or two of those new upgrades becomes part of a new core.

The core that we have with a solid supporting cast and now solid coaching changes everything for the Better.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 1, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Just because Amare and Jamison play different styles doesn't mean their stats get leveled accordingly. Jamison is a jumpshooter because he has to be a jumpshooter to maximize his output. He can't do what Amare can on the break or in the paint, and that's why Amare's shooting percentages are that much higher. Numbers-wise, they end up with similar totals, but Amare does it much more efficiently.

It reminds me of the argument I heard prior to the Conference Finals, that Howard couldn't score from farther than 4 ft away from the basket. So what? If you can't stop him from getting inside 4 ft, what does it matter? Same idea with Amare. Sure, Amare naturally shoots a higher percentage playing closer to the basket, but that doesn't mean he's less of a player because of it.

And don't get me wrong, I still think Jamison is a great player. But I'll take a PF that can score at a .590 clip over a jumpshooting PF at .470 any day of the week.

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I get that Blair has long arms and that makes a difference. I just don't know of many modern era players who were short interior players yet made up for it with their reach. Someone mentioned Ruland but he was 6'11" 275. They guys that ware good had superior athleticism like Barkley. Adrian Dantley was short but he was skilled offensively. The closest thing I can come with up to Blair is Oliver Miller. He cold have had a decent career but ate too much.
When I read that Blair was down to 275 from 315, I was appalled. 6'5.25" and 315 was his playing weight? Sounds more like a lineman than a bball player.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

ps: "Jamison is a jumpshooter because he has to be a jumpshooter to maximize his output. He can't do what Amare can on the break or in the paint, and that's why Amare's shooting percentages are that much higher. Numbers-wise, they end up with similar totals, but Amare does it much more efficiently."

Once again, true but possibly misleading. Amare isn't necessarily a better player than Jamison because his shooting percentage is higher. His % is what you'd expect from a 6'10" player who doesn't take many shots that are more than six feet from the basket. Jamison's % reflects the fact he shoots from farther out, including 3 pointers. For the comparison to have any meaning, you have to control for the differences in playing style.

Example: is Stoudemire a more valuable player (or 'better') than Elton Brand? They're both PFs but Elton is a true low post player, while Stoudemire requires a flowing, full-court offense to maximize his effectiveness.

Let's say you put Amare in the Ed Jordan offense next to Brendan Haywood and with Arenas and Butler as the primary outside options. Is he as effective, or more or less effective, than Jamison, Brand, or for instance, Kenyon Martin?

About Dwight Howard -- a terrific talent who is smaller than listed but makes up for it with remarkable strength and athleticism. Olajawon comes to mind. But having to be within 4 feet of the basket is a significant handicap for an offensive player. It certainly was for Amare and that would have been obvious if he hadn't played for the Suns. Teams could simply have fronted him and kept the ball out of his hands. Now, he has other weapons, that allow him to go out and get the ball and still score.

I'm wondering if we won't see a very different player against the Lakers. On paper, at least, LA matches up well with Orlando. They've got Bynum for athleticism and Gasol for scoring. They've got Ariza, Walton, and Kobe for perimeter defense. If anything happens to Orlando's glossy 3 point percentage, watch out.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"But having to be within 4 feet of the basket is a significant handicap for an offensive player."

True enough, but the same can be said about a PF that has trouble scoring within 4 ft as well. All things considered, I'd take the guy that's better closer to the basket.

(Interestingly enough, there are two teams I keep coming back to that match up well...one is a healthy Boston defense, the other, our own Washington Wizards. Haywood is one of a few centers in the league that has the strength, size, and feet to stay with Howard, and Lewis is the exact style PF that Jamison would match up reasonably well with.)

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

ps: "As far as Orlando's matchup problems with LA, I'd say it's right around the same as Cleveland. The problem will be in the frontcourt for LA. Gasol will get his minutes for LA, and that will cause problems for them defensively. If they go Gasol + Bynum, Howard will have more trouble, but Lewis will have a clear advantage over Gasol on the perimeter. If they go Gasol + Odom, Howard will have the clear advantage inside. If they ever decide to double on Howard, the same 3-pt problems will arise for LA just as they did for Cleveland. Orlando is a matchup nightmare for almost any team in the league."

Interesting viewpoint. I'd argue the opposite. A few examples:

2) At their core, the Magic are one great center and a bunch of outside shooters. Historically such teams haven't done all that well. The Magic are the exception.

3) Turn the question around: how well do the Magic match up defensively with the Lakers?

4) Who guards Kobe? Pietrus? Do they double?

5) The Cavs didn't have much inside scoring. Giant Z is more of an outside shooter. Wallace doesn't score. Varejao is a the sort of slender energy player than Howard dominates.

The Lakers have Gasol and Odom, both of whom can score, as well as Bynum. Howard will have to defend the basket against all of them. Plus rebound -- in the playoffs to date, he's accounted for an incredible 40% of his team's rebounds.

Be interesting to see which of us is right.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"1) Gasol won't guard Rashard Lewis -- probably Ariza or one of the other long, quick players will. Gasol's difficulty is if he's asked to guard Howard."

"Turn the question around: how well do the Magic match up defensively with the Lakers?"

Defensively, I think LA provides problems, but only if everyone comes to play for them (particularly Bynum). Orlando will be a matchup short if Bynum is on his game, but if he's not, we could again see a parallel with the Cleveland series. Howard would neutralize Gasol, Lewis can run with Odom, Hedo with Ariza, Alston with Fisher. That would leave Lee/Pietrus on Kobe. Kobe would obviously get his points, but then it would be like the Cleveland series, with one man attempting to do everything. Obviously that didn't bode well for Cleveland.

Personally, I think LA takes this series, with Bynum providing the x-factor. If he gets it going offensively and stays out of foul trouble, the Magic will have no answer for both he and Gasol down low. But if he can't get it going offensively, or he gets into foul trouble early, I can easily see Orlando getting the edge. Too many mismatches offensively, and just enough to frustrate LA defensively.

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"In the correct offense, Stoudemire can put up 25+ ppg, even with having multiple threats being spread the ball. Jamison, at this point in his career, cannot."

And likely neither could Stoudemire if he doesn't have Steve Nash spoonfeeding him the ball. It also helps when he's got Shaq on the other side of the lane, keeping the opponent from rotating the other big in help defense. Stoudemire would have neither of those things in D.C.

"Still, I think the Phoenix FO would have to huff nitrous for a couple days to get crazy enough. "

A week, at least.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

ps:"If Gasol and Bynum are playing together, Gasol won't be guarding Lewis? Who will he guard then? One of those two will have to take on Lewis, and neither can stay with him on the perimeter."

I don't think you'll see Lewis covered much by Gasol -- it's a mismatch, because Lewis isn't really a power forward. Likewise when Gasol's in the game, sombody other than Lewis will have to cover him.

I'd guess the rotations will include Ariza and Odom on Lewis, and sometimes Bryant taking a turn on Turkoglu.

But we'll see.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

----------

Can it really be said that Jamison has trouble scoring within 4ft? He can't do it in a traditional method, but he seems to be fairly reliable in close.

It's just difficult to compare the two. AS is superior close to the basket, but I would say Jamison can hold his own (in terms of getting the ball in the hoop) and also brings 3pt shooting to the table. Would AS really bring so much more offense in close to the table to make up for Jamison's versatility and range?

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the trade, but it is very close to a wash, and would require major retooling to truly maximize AS.

Posted by: crs-one | June 1, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

If we could get a physical guy like David Lee without giving up our 5th pick would definitely be the better move for the wizards rather than the Amare move.He doesn't cost as much and he's physical on both ends of the floor, and thats what we need. This would allow us to draft the 6'10" Daye to play the 3 and move Caron to the 2. We could match up with any of the elite teams, depending on Daye's developement.

Posted by: DC-fan | June 2, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse