Jordan to Talk to 76ers, Too

Former Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan returned home on Wednesday from Las Vegas, where he met with the Sacramento Kings to discuss their head coaching vacancy. And, according to multiple league sources, Jordan is expected to meet of Friday with the Philadelphia 76ers about their job opening. That job became available on Monday when 76ers General Manager Ed Stefanski announced that Tony DiLeo would not return as head coach but would move back to a front office position.

The 76ers are also reportedly interested in current TNT announcer and former Chicago and Detroit coach Doug Collins. Philadelphia appears to be the better job of the two, with the 76ers advancing to the postseason the past two years and with former all-star Elton Brand expected to return from a shoulder injury next season. But Jordan told the Sacramento Bee on Tuesday that he would be fine with a return to the organization that gave him his first start.

"No. 1, I have great respect and admiration for (Kings basketball president) Geoff Petrie, (Kings consultant) Pete Carril, and the Maloofs, for their energy, enthusiasm and excitement with their team," Jordan told the Bee. "Second of all, I love coaching and developing, especially young players. I've been involved with young players both in New Jersey (as an assistant) and the Wizards (as a head coach). Third, I love Northern California. There are a lot of positives, a lot of good things. But before I get to the step of, 'Would I accept an offer?' it has to be offered to me, and it hasn't been offered to me yet."

He told Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia that he is also very interested in the 76ers job but wishes the team would pursue him as aggressively as the Kings have. "It fits like a glove in my opinion," said Jordan, who worked with Stefanski for five seasons in New Jersey, where Jordan was an assistant coach, Stefanski was an assistant general manager and the Nets made back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.

The key issue for Jordan will most likely be money. The Washington Wizards still owe him about $4 million next season and would be left to pay the difference of any deal Jordan signs with another team. Jordan would like to have some long term security. The problem is few teams appear willing to spend big money on coaches these days -- Flip Saunders's four-year, $18-million deal with the Wizards notwithstanding.

As for Saunders's coaching staff, the Boston Globe reported on Sunday that Sam Cassell plans on accepting a job as an assistant coach with the Wizards in the next two weeks.

By Michael Lee |  May 13, 2009; 6:55 PM ET
Previous: Pre-Draft Workout Report | Next: Roundtable: What Do the Wizards Do If They Pick 4th?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

good stuff Mike, what about Randy Wittman

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | May 13, 2009 7:37 PM

Sammy's coming home!

Posted by: AWizinLA | May 13, 2009 10:02 PM

"Sammy's coming home!"

I thought he was from Baltimore.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 14, 2009 6:40 AM

Still like to know why Tony DiLeo reversed field on that job...

Posted by: Samson151 | May 14, 2009 7:54 AM

Samson,

Is there a nba team in Baltimore?? Yeah didnt think so.

This is coming home for him

Posted by: DMoney28 | May 14, 2009 9:56 AM

So if the Wiz owe Jordan the difference, why is money an issue at all? If the Sixers pay Jordan $10, the Wiz owe him $3,999,990. If the Sixers pay $3 million, the Wiz owe $1 million. Either way, Jordan's pay is the same. That can't be right.

Posted by: bj2000 | May 14, 2009 11:07 AM

I believe the way it works is that because the Wiz fired Jordan, they're contractually obligated to pay his full salary, even if he gets another gig. If Jordan signs a deal for $5 mill/yr, $4 mill of that first year's salary will be coming out of Pollin's pocket, with the other $1 mill coming from his new team. After that, it'll all be on his new bosses.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 14, 2009 11:27 AM

No, bj2000's analysis was correct -- Jordan is due at least $4 million next year. If a team pays him $3 million, the Wizards will owe him $1 million.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | May 14, 2009 11:43 AM

"So if the Wiz owe Jordan the difference, why is money an issue at all?"

Because that is only for next year, I am sure Jordan wants a multi-year contract.

Posted by: sagaliba | May 14, 2009 11:47 AM

"Second of all, I love coaching and developing, especially young players. I've been involved with young players both in New Jersey (as an assistant) and the Wizards (as a head coach."

What a crock, who are you fooling eddie? Also, I'm glad alien Sam is on board.

Posted by: bford1kb | May 14, 2009 2:43 PM

It is very surprising to me that the roundtable did not include any Tarheel player that can help a NBA Team right away.

Does this roundtable really understand the value of playing three - four years of Carolina ball and the implications of the value in that?

LarryInClintonMD.