Pre-draft Quotables Part II: DeRozan, Flynn, Lawson

I had a great time talking to DeRozan, who seemed more than open to joke about his hops and his famous, former AAU team backer, Master P. I didn't know he had so much personality. Flynn is slated to go later in the lottery, but the Wizards like him. Ty Lawson is expected to go mid-to-late first round, but he talked about always wanting to play in his hometown. Here's DeRozan, Flynn and Lawson:

DeMar DeRozan, Southern California

How high? So high that I can touch the sky. (AP Photo/Danny Moloshok)

On the decision to come out after one year: It was tough because college was fun. I grew more as a man with the time I spent in college...It was close to home, some of my family got to see me play. It was something I talked to my family about and it was something they encouraged me to do.

On what he can add to the Wizards: Whatever they need. Right now, one year of college really made me focus on defense. I love playing defense now. I want to lock down players at my position and get stops and that's one key thing I think I can bring to a lot of teams.

On his interview with Washington: They knew a lot. One of my good friends Nick Young, they compared me to him (as far as) cracking jokes and everything, so it was funny.

On the Master P Snickers commercial: When I (saw) him, I laughed about that, what made him do a sneakers commercial, 'Master P-Nuts?" I thought it was funny. I gave him a hard time about it. We always laugh and joke about it.

On criticism that he wasn't always focused: Every game, it was always a different matchup. Some nights I had to score, some nights I didn't. Some nights I had to rebound, some nights I had to defend. A lot of people didn't really understand how different college is from high school. It's just not about going out and scoring 30 points. It's about going out and doing what you've got to do to help your team. That's what I tried to do night in and night out.

On how high his ceiling is: I still feel like there's a lot I have to do, a lot I have to learn. I feel that in myself just with the improvement I made over a couple of months at SC. I feel I still have room to grow, and I feel like I haven't reached half my potential yet.

Jonny Flynn, Syracuse

Quit calling me little! (Photo by Marc Serota/Getty Images North America)

On his size being a negative: "I don't think you can look at that anymore. You look at a guy like Aaron Brooks of the Rockets. He might be 5-8 and he dominated the Lakers and really dominated the whole playoffs. You see a lot of guys like that. You've got Chris Paul, six foot. You have Tony parker, a lot of little guys out there getting it done. I like to say if you have a big heart, your tenacity is matched out there by the guys and you go out there and play with the best of them."

On whom he would compare himself with: "I have some characteristics of Chris Paul. His tenacity. He's hard as nails. He's tough guy. He fires his teammates up. He's one of the best playmakers in basketball. Really knows how to get his teammates the ball in positions where they can score. That's a sign of a great point guard. Getting into the right position where they don't have to do too much to score the basketball."

Ty Lawson, North Carolina

Oh, I'd love to come home. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)

On the team for which he grew up dreaming about playing: "Maybe the Wizards. They are a hometown team. I'd like to play for them. But the team I want to play for now is Miami. That's where I want to go. I liked the Bulls, Heat matchups back in the day. Maybe the Bulls, but they already got a point guard. I'd really go anywhere because I didn't grow up watching a team. I watched players, like Michael Jordan."

On whether he has ruled out possibly playing for the Wizards: "Not really. This draft is probably going to be real crazy. A lot of teams need a lot of things. If I got to the Wizards that would be good."

On coming back for a championship at North Carolina: "It meant a lot. We all tried to go to the NBA last year and we came back for a championship. All of our blood, sweat and tears worked out. It feels like we accomplished something."

On playing hurt during the NCAA Tournament: "It was do-or-die time. I had to play. If we had lost that second game to LSU, I would've taken that to heart. I'm happy to go out there and play and play real well."

By Michael Lee  |  May 29, 2009; 11:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pre-draft Quotables Part I: Evans, Harden
Next: 76ers to Hire Ex-Wizards Coach Jordan

Comments

They all seem like nice, well-spoken young men who will have great careers but I'm still a little peeved that the Wiz aren't doing the Blake Griffin shuffle...*sigh*

Posted by: BillEmm | May 29, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

DeMar DeRozan?

Hell to the no on this guy... probably a decent player, but the last thing thee Wizards need on this team in another clown cracking jokes. Another Nick Young? They should pass.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 29, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

How about this 4-way trade between the Rockets, Knicks, Nets, and Wizards?

Rockets get: BH, Jared Jeffries, Keyon Dooling, and Nate Robinson.

Knicks get: ET, MJ, OP, DaS, DeS, and Eduardo Najera.

Nets get: Tracy McGrady, Chuck Hayes, Brent Barry, and the #5 pick.

Wizards get: Vince Carter, Brook Lopez, Eddy Curry, and the #8 pick.

The Rockets fill their gaping holes at the backup C and SF spots, and they clear space under the luxury tax to re-sign Ron Artest. They also get to play Yao with Nate Robinson (sign and trade). Manute-Muggsy, take two! This time with less suckage!

The Knicks get rid of their immovable contracts, and it only costs them the #8, their rights to Nate Robinson (which they weren't going to use anyway), and a year of luxury tax payment. ET, MJ, and OP expire in 2010. DaS, DeS, and Eduardo Najera do not, but they should not be too difficult to get rid of, especially since the Knicks have never been averse to throwing cash around.

The Nets also get 2010 cap space, and they can at least try to sell tix this year with T-Mac. It costs them Brook Lopez, but with the #5 pick as well as their own #11 pick, they can move up to #3 get Rubio or Thabeet.

In exchange for their dead wood, the Wizards upgrade at both the SG and C positions. Brook Lopez is a better fit for us than BH because Lopez can hit a midrange jumper. He’s not as good on D as BH, but he’s good enough not to be the weakest link. Trading down from the #5 pick to the #8 pick isn’t a major drop in talent this year, so we don’t lose much there. Vince Carter and especially Eddy Curry are overpaid, but we only have to pay them for two years, and the second year is their contract year, so they should be very motivated. Biggest downside is that we will be committed to paying the luxury tax for the next two years at least.

Wizards depth chart:

PG: GA, JC
SG: Vince Carter, NY
SF: CB, DM
PF: AJ, AB
C: Brook Lopez, Eddy Curry, JM

Take the best available player with the #8 pick.

(Extra side benefit: Helping NY and NJ clear cap space in 2010 makes it more likely that LeBron leaves Cleveland.)

Posted by: yop32 | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yop32 | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM

i'm afraid you might have too much time on your hands.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | May 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Nothing on Eric Maynor.....I realize he isnt one of the wizards potential picks, but neither are flynn and lawson

Posted by: alexpaone758 | May 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Why the heck is Les BouleS even considering guards, shooting guards, and small forwards?

This is stupid.

Les BouleS need someone at the 4 who can both score, defend, and rebound.

Les BouleS would be considered lucky if they can somehow land or trade up to get Tyler Hansborough with their 2nd pick.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I have got to say, before this bit of info., I really was not sold on Derozan, in regards to him being our selection. But the one thing he said that got my attention, was the fact that he enjoys playing defense now after his YEAR in school. That's just not something you hear these days. I'm a Johnny Flynn fan. A serious one, but I'm not sure how he fits here with GA relatively adamant that he does not want to play the 2. And Flynn is a talent who I think is going to be really good, really early. Lawson doesn't want to be here, but last season showed me he's a lot better than I first thought. Of this group, I'd probably go Derozan. But would prefer to trade it for a veteran(s) ... and pick up a later 1st if possible.

Posted by: LIKWID | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 29, 2009 4:08 PM

i hope this comment was a sarcastic one

Posted by: jasonma1 | May 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Eric Maynor

Posted by: wiz_fan | May 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

One year with Tim Floyd is like coming straight out of high school. The other guys are undersized, and the Wizards don't need to get any smaller.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 29, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"i hope this comment was a sarcastic one

Posted by: jasonma1 | May 29, 2009 4:34 PM "

I know this is a sarcastic comment.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 29, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone want Eddie Curry?

Ick.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | May 29, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Tyreke Evans... outside of the top 2 guys (Rubio and Griffin) I think Evans will be the next best guy once he develops a jumpshot... he'll be there when the Wiz pick and has a much better ceiling than DeShawn and Young.

But it's a guessing game.

Posted by: HollywoodPlayboy | May 29, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Local radio here in Phoenix is talking about an Amare for Tuff Juice, Blatche and Macgee.

any truth to this?

Posted by: IHateJLC | May 29, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Eddie's gonna coach the 76ers!

Good for him!

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | May 29, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

WIz should take DeMar DeRozen he has tremendous upside.

dcprosports.blogspot.com/

Posted by: dcsportsfan3 | May 29, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"Local radio".. gotta love it.

Posted by: satchmore | May 29, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

"Why would anyone want Eddie Curry?

Ick."

Posted by: dcinmd1 | May 29, 2009 7:24 PM

Need Eddy Curry's contract to make the numbers work. And there's always a chance that he gets his act together. He's only 26 and nearing the end of his contract. New York is a motivated seller to clear cap space for 2010.

Posted by: yop32 | May 30, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Is there a schedule for when the wiz are working out all the top guys? I am most curious about Derozen, Evans, and Harden. If we don't trade we are taking the best guy available and in this draft I am pretty sure its going to be a guard. Our expiring contracts and young players become most valuable the closer we get to the trade deadline.

http://newsok.com/trade-in-works-thunde ... ead_topten

This is the Best Scenario for the Wiz give us our choice of those guys. I don't see really see the THunder taking on 4 years of Baron Davis but they might take Kaman and be ready to compete next year.

Posted by: AWizinLA | May 30, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AWizinLA | May 30, 2009 3:28 AM | Report abuse

"Why would anyone want Eddie Curry?

Ick."

Posted by: dcinmd1 | May 29, 2009 7:24 PM

Getting rid of Eddy Curry (and his contract which runs through the 2010-2011 season) is the reason that the Knicks agree to the trade. In return for taking Eddy Curry off their hands, the Knicks contribute to the trade through their willingness to accept extra salary during the 2009-2010 season.

From their point of view, the Knicks are buying 2010 cap space using the currency of 2009-2010 salary and luxury tax payments.

As a result of this trade, the Knicks' 2009-2010 payroll increases by roughly $10 million. (Part of the increase is from accepting more salary on their end of the trade. The other part of the increase comes from re-signing Nate Robinson in the sign-and-trade part of the deal. If not for this trade, they would have just let Nate leave in FA.) Add the dollar for dollar luxury tax, and the Knicks are paying around $20 million extra in 2009-2010.

Is $20 million and the #8 pick enough to get rid of the Knicks' bad contracts?

Posted by: yop32 | May 30, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"And there's always a chance that he gets his act together. "

There's always been that chance, every one of the 8 or 9 years he's been in the league. yet, every year, it continues not to happen.

The better question is why the hell would the Nets trade Lopez, the best young C in last year's draft, a guy who averaged a near double-double as a rookie and will only get better, for an old, broken down, overpaid McGrady; an old broken down Brent Barry; a 6' 5" journeyman C with no hops and no offensive game, and the #5 pick in a weak draft?

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 31, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Les BouleS need someone at the 4 who can both score, defend, and rebound.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 29, 2009 4:08 PM

I think SG is a great place for them to look. They really don't have a good option right now. Go for a SG that plays good defense and can hit the 3.

Posted by: jazapfsp | May 31, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Nets be willing to deal Brook Lopez? The Nets do this trade because they could potentially have a starting lineup in 2010-2011 that looks like this:

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Ricky Rubio
SF: LeBron James
PF: Yi Jianlian
C: Chris Bosh

That's a lineup that could win championships.

Playing with Rubio and Yi is appealing to LeBron because it improves his chances of becoming a "global icon".

Posted by: yop32 | June 1, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"That's a lineup that could win championships. "

Yeah, in NBA live. Back here in reality:

• Jianlin has been a major disappointment and it's been reported for a few weeks now that the Nets are looking to get rid of him.
  • The Nets proposed moved to Brooklyn has been put on hold and, reportedly, may not even happen, which would end whatever already slim chance they would have to get James (which was next to nonexistent to begin with)
  • Rubio is (A) a 19 year old who will take a few years to become a legit NBA starter (if ever) (B) not a SG (C) a terrible shooter and (D) not a guy who could play with a guard like Harris who has the ball in his hands a lot.
  • Why the hell would Bosh go to the Nets?
  • Utter nonsense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

If this trade could be executed this instant, then as of this instant, the Nets would have no salary obligations for 2010-2011. Every contract on their books would expire before the summer of 2010, and the Nets could just let everyone walk away.

They won't do that with Devin Harris, who is a free agent this summer. They will definitely try to re-signing him. They will also have to pay their draft picks. But even with those contracts, after this trade, the Nets will have cap space to sign two max free agents in 2010.

I penciled in Chris Bosh as the second max free agent, but LeBron might prefer someone else. Bosh (or whoever) joins the team because it's max salary, and playing with LeBron makes for an excellent chance to win titles. Also, playing for a winning team alongside LeBron, Rubio, and Yi allows for additional endorsement revenue.

With the big pieces in place, the Nets would look to fill out their roster with their draft picks, exceptions, and minimum contracts. They also have team options to re-sign their young players to collective-bargaining-agreement-defined contracts. Those players include Yi. If the team decides that the combination of his play and his marketing appeal is worth more than the pre-defined salary, they have the option to keep him through 2011. They don't have to keep him, but maybe they would like to save their exceptions to fill other needs and maybe Yi is preferable to a minimum salary player.

Posted by: yop32 | June 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"The Nets will then be in a position to go to LeBron and say, not only are we offering you a max contract, we'll also give a max contract to any free agent that you can convince to join you on the team."

So will the Knicks. Which of the two do you think he'll choose?

I think you may have set a record for the number of instances of the word "maybe" in a fan trade proposal. The entire thing is a rolling cascade of unfounded speculation that ignores actual fact. FACT: It's been reported that the Nets are already trying to dump Yi. FACT: The Nets move to Brooklyn will not happen in time for Lebron's free agency (and it's already been reported that t may not happen at all). Good luck becoming a "global icon" from the off ramp of the Jersey Turnpike. And while it's not a proven fact that Rubio is not going to step into the NBA and make some team a contender, it's close enough that most people wouldn't bet against it.

Again, nonsense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 2, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Yay! Three maybe's! New record! I can't feel my face! That's a record that will definitely stand for all time! Woo-hoo!

The maybe's in the previous post are in reference to a team option. Oh no! The team gets to choose! I'm sure the Nets are just miserable to have options. Flexibility, it's a curse.

Why might LeBron choose the Nets over the Knicks? Better teammates. The Knicks will have nothing in place. The Nets will have Devin Harris and Ricky Rubio. Oh, and don't forget Jay-Z.

As far as the stadium in Brooklyn is concerned, we should all hope that it gets built. Right now the major obstacle preventing the start of construction is the credit crisis. If the stadium doesn't get started soon, that's a sign that this recession is going to drag out for a lot longer.

As for the value of the stadium project itself- personally, I think the stadium and the mixed-use towers that the Nets owners planned to start building this year were actually a very good idea. New York City, three subway stations within 200 yards of each other that carry trains from ten different subway lines- there really ought to be a big mixed-use development there, not a low-density (by NYC standards) residential neighborhood.

Posted by: yop32 | June 2, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse