Your Snap Reactions to the No. 5 Pick

If anything good came out of last night's news that the Wizards landed the fifth pick in the draft, it was our readers' sense of humor. Or "normal wizard fan sense of impending doom," as one co-worker (and Les Boulez fan) called it -- before the lottery, no less.

Your reactions were sometimes filled with anger, but were a hoot as well. We culled some of the best comments from last night, and solicited some fresh reactions as well. Here are some of our favorites:

"Dagger ..."
-- Imjustlikemusiq

"The Wizards and the draft lottery. Where the opposite of amazing happens."
-- Philip Gary

"I don't have a problem with the Wizards being cursed, but does it have to be so obvious?"
-- Monumental Air (Bullets Forever)

"Arenas gets hurt, Haywood gets hurt, Wizards don't tank, Wizards get the #5 pick. Just in case anyone forgot, the Curse O' Les Boulez exists."
-- Pradamaster (Bullets Forever)
"I honestly can't wipe the smile/smirk off my face. Of course the Wizards would get 5th!!!"
-- truthaboutit.net

"5th? FML."
-- jkahn001

"This is absolutely the worst-case scenario. I think I can hear LeBron laughing and doing a little dance in Cleveland."
-- BillEmm

"A whole season of Tapsquatch for this?!? I'm so [angry] that words can't even describe it."
-- Fontana1

"Blake Griffin fights dogs while driving drunk. At least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. (Enough of this and maybe he falls to 5)"
-- skins1110

"Sure, Griffin would have been nice. But this is no tragedy. One way or another, the Wiz will significantly upgrade their rotation. In Ernie I trust."
-- Ben Becker

"All I need to say is -- Brandon Roy was picked 6th overall. Paul Pierce went 10th. Caron Butler went 10th. Richard Hamilton went 7th. It's far from the end of the world."
-- grounder

"Stupid Wizards. Lost all those games for nothing. With the 5th pick in the 2009 NBA draft, the Washington Wizards select a gift certificate to Dick's Sporting Goods."
-- superwilks

"1) Excuse me for a moment while I rip out my eyeballs with a claw hammer.
2) Remember that [Dwyane] Wade was a No. 5 pick.
3) Always, always, ALWAYS remember that David Stern is the spawn of Satan."
-- Keith Ward

"Could be a blessing in disguise if it forces the issue and gets the Wizards a veteran upgrade. (perhaps someone who can provide even more immediate help than Griffin). Still hard to see the Wizards getting much back in trade unless they are also willing to part with at least some of their young talent (e.g. Blatche or Young plus a contract or two)."
-- JPRS#

"God must hate us ... "
-- Quentin Adams

"FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL ... "
-- seargeantmofo

By Keith McMillan |  May 20, 2009; 7:57 AM ET
Previous: Live From Secaucus, N.J. | Next: Sequestered in Secaucus

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Man this is some bull....The Clippers get the top pick and how many times they been in the freaking draft lottery. Worst finish in franchise history and the Wizards get 5th. I am done.

Posted by: klamonthenderson | May 20, 2009 8:21 AM

Let's deal. The pick + Blatche + Thomas' and James' expiring contracts to Toronto for Bosh.

Posted by: phil27 | May 20, 2009 8:34 AM

The lottery proves again that it is a joke. My suggestion would be to have a lottery for the worst 3 or 4 teams, each receiving an equal shot at the number 1.

Now for the options: If Harden has gotten himself into tip-top shape, I think he might be a great option at 5, and makes Stephenson and Nick Young expendible. Derozan seems like an option as well. Jordan Hill has bust written all over him.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | May 20, 2009 8:37 AM

Well Toronto may be willing to deal Bosh, and we know Phoenix was/is trying to give Amare away. Two expirings, a top 5 pick, and Blatche (young talent, good contract)...I mean i'm grasping at straws here, but maybe somewhere maybe somehow...I don't know.

Posted by: OwlWiz | May 20, 2009 8:50 AM

Why not just go ahead and take Steph Curry? It's not like he wouldn't fill a need, and it would give the Wiz a little buzz, moreso than Hardin(?) or Evans or some of these other guys. He seems like an EG kind of player, anyway.

Posted by: nittanybruin | May 20, 2009 8:53 AM

Anybody like evans from memphis. i think he has the most upside and value at 5. He's a combo guard so he could start at the 1 with gil at the two (u don't draft a guy 5th overall and not at least let him fight for the spot). We could get rid of Meshawn and then bring nick off the bench with crit. i don't like harden, i can't see him being Paul Pierce in the league, amybe ricky davis.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 20, 2009 9:07 AM

Who the hell said Steph Curry ? WHAT ???

Why the heck would we need another twig ?
The last thing we need is another guy who can light it up on offense and contribute absolutely NO DEFENSIVE PRESENCE ? C'mon man, use your head for more than a hat rack.

And word to the other cat, why would Toronto give up Bosch for two expirings (M. James & E.Thomas) Blatche & the #5 pick in the weakest draft in the past 25 years ?

To land Bosch it would at least take our #5 pick, our #32 pick Blatche and N. Young and possibly the expiring contracts for them to even consider.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | May 20, 2009 9:18 AM

Hell to the No on Steph Curry Harden would not be a bad choice Evans from Memphis either i'll have to admit Harden does scare me a little work ethic and all, but listen we have a good nucleus "if" Gil is healthy and he'd better be after all that time off, Haywood showed that he'll be just fine in the middle AJ&CB will be their usual dynamic selves and if the bench improves we will be back in the playoff's.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 20, 2009 9:25 AM

To follow up, Bosch is an extreme talent, young and perhaps the top 10-15 players in the NBA. I think to make this trade happen we're gonna have to give up our #5 & #32 pick, Jamison and a combination of 2 things:

A.) The expiring contracts of M. James and E. Thomas for the strategic purpose of Toronto clearing cap room in 2010 -or-

B.) Toronto's choice of either N.Young or A.Blatche...........I'd probably give up both if they asked me for it to be honest.

Guys of Bosch's caliber just don't come around when they are that age.

With the money that we would save with Jamison's, E.Thomas, Blatche & M.James contracts we could use to sign Bosch for 2010.

Line up:

Arenas or Critt
Stevenson Arenas
Butler
Bosch
Haywood/McGee

Posted by: slipperyrichard | May 20, 2009 9:26 AM

Steph Curry is a short Adam Morrison.

Posted by: yop32 | May 20, 2009 9:32 AM

Maybe we can get another Kwame for 5th.

Posted by: boblas | May 20, 2009 9:42 AM

Hey, call me crazy but the Wiz could still end up with Rubio. I think the teams above will pass him on, only because he won't be able to play in the NBA this year unless a team buy out his contract. The Wiz don't need him this year.

Posted by: demonj21 | May 20, 2009 9:52 AM

Anybody like evans from memphis. i think he has the most upside and value at 5.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 20, 2009 9:07 AM

I like him. I really liked how he responded to the pressure Calipari put on him during the tourneys. He gave him the ball and told him to win Memphis games. And he did. The reason why he flew under the radar all year was that he was playing off the ball instead of having it in his hands every possession. I think Calipari was trying to hide him out of fear of losing him (just like Derrick Rose). But if he's at 5, I would not pass on him. He would come cheap, and would allow Ernie to let Deshawn walk and would still allow us to keep Nick as a scoring option since Evans can run the point. Almost like a younger Larry Hughes (minus the injuries, i hope)

Posted by: CBell29 | May 20, 2009 10:23 AM

I hope we don't get Rubio. I would rather package the pick and somebody off the team like Young,James,Etan or Stevenson perhaps for a veteran. We DON'T need anymore projects. We played last season with Jamison and a bench of projects and we see what that got us. I knew we wouldn't get number one but hey, it ain't the end of the world. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Posted by: ivyleague | May 20, 2009 10:31 AM

I really would love to get Bosh, but I think he may be too risky. Remember, he can still walk away at the end of the year. So lets say that we trade Jamison, the pick and either blatche or Nick (depending on what they ask for), and 1 of the bad contracts(they're not taking both. Colangelo isn't THAT stupid) for Bosh and some other junk to match salaries. Lets say that we finally get past the 1st round and then lose a tight 6 or 7 game series in the semis. Right at that moment, Bosh AND Haywood is now unrestricted free agents. Bosh is going to get offers of 100 mil plus easily and leaves. Then lets say some team gets enamored with brendan, overpays him and he leaves. Not only does that leave our frontline VERY thin,but it also means that we just lost 5 players with nothing to show for it other than cap space. Its too much of a risk.

Posted by: CBell29 | May 20, 2009 10:43 AM

Note to Ernie:
Call Blake's agent and tell him to call the Clippers with the hint that BG may play in Europe--not too hip on playing for the Clip dogs. He would LOVE it in DC. Great fans, winning team, arena, etc. Next call the Clips with this offer: This years 1st and 2nd round Wiz picks, next years 1st, Andray Blatche, Etan, etc. for: This years Clip #1. It CAN be done.

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | May 20, 2009 10:53 AM

I wouldn't get too worked up over the risk of trading for Bosh because it's not going to happen. The Raptors want no part of Jamison. Why would they? They're too far away from contention (esp. without Bosh) to have any interest in a 32 year old no-power forward with 3 years and almost $40 mill left on his deal. The only team that expressed interest in trading for Jamison last year was the team that was already headed for the best record in the league. The Raptors aren't even close.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2009 11:07 AM

WHO CARES??????

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 20, 2009 11:18 AM

3rdGenRFan -- you're an idiot -- no one wants the bullets junk and you think bullet have great fans? You're delirious. No one wants the poetry fella -- he sux.

Posted by: jwing14 | May 20, 2009 11:43 AM

jkahn001's "FML" is the hands-down winner.

Posted by: VeCente115 | May 20, 2009 12:05 PM

Just watch the Caps!!!!

Posted by: iamdawalrus | May 20, 2009 12:29 PM

DeMar DeRozan should be the pick at No. 5 if he's still available. He could be the next Vince Carter. Out of this world athleticism.

Posted by: Burg_gold_blood | May 20, 2009 1:24 PM

Maybe Steph curry is a good consolation, but whoa am I kidding. Somebody please tell em Grunfeld is already on the phone with phoenix selling Jamison, Thomas, and the pick for Stoudamire. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that is the only move at this point.

Posted by: cee_212002 | May 20, 2009 2:51 PM

This just goes to show what a sham the NBA lottery selection is. I don't mean to sound like sour grapes, but if you remember last offseason Baron Davis and Elton Brand had a "buddy buddy silent handshake" deal where Brand recruited Davis to go and play for the Clippers and revitalize the team and saying he (Brand) would resign there. Davis and Brand were apparently at least acquaintances and Davis said okay and singed a deal only to have Brand walk away and sign with the Clippers. This whole story got huge media coverage and now suddenly the Clips win the lottery? Then you have the #2 pick going to Memphis?! They very well could lose the team and when they get good players they just send them elsewhere so the owner can pocket more money (similar to Donald Sterling the Clips owner) #3 pick went to Oklahoma City...oops I mean Hijack City who is run by another fantastic and charming owner.
I know we are being punished for the ludicrous contract we gave Arenas. Even if he comes back healthy he isn't worth that kind of money. He is no Kobe,LeBron,Duncan, or Howard etc. Oh well, you reap what you sow I suppose.

Posted by: Killerangel81 | May 20, 2009 3:02 PM

Anyone who expected the Wizards to not draft fifth is truly optimistic. But no need to pound our heads into the keyboard, Ty Lawson will make a great NBA point guard. Trade Stepheons, Blatche and Young for a quality center and the Wizards can do some things next year. Remember, the Celtics didn't sit around and wait to get lucky, they made their own luck. Time to make some offseason moves.

Posted by: manwray | May 20, 2009 3:22 PM

The Caps season is over. OVA!! Stop talking about the CAPS!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | May 20, 2009 4:41 PM

I've watched some YouTube of Rubio and I wouldn't use a high draft choice on him. Besides the fact that he blatantly palms and carries the ball even by NBA standards, it takes him a weekend to get his shot off. He's a flashy passer and has the floppy hair, thus the Pistol Pete comparisons, but he'll get eaten alive in the quicker/stronger NBA.

Posted by: randysbailin | May 20, 2009 6:03 PM

The current mock draft at nbadraft.net has the Wizards taking Harden at number 5 and then Jeff Adrien with their second pick.

I'd be happy with that.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | May 20, 2009 7:04 PM

I was extremely happy that the Wizards lost in the lottery.

The top 5 picks will be - in this order

1 - Tyler Hansbrough - North Carolina
2 - Danny Green - North Carolina
3 - Ty Lawson - North Carolina
4 - Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
5 - Wayne Ellington - North Carolina

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record this upcoming season
- No NCAA Bid
- No NIT Bid

Maryland football will finish with a 2 - 10 record.

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels - NCAA Champs !

Posted by: hclark1 | May 20, 2009 7:10 PM

Weakest Draft in 25 yrs. Did you forget about the formidable top pick studs of Brown, Curry and Chandler? Don't think I would take either in the top 10 of this yrs draft.
Clark, how did Blake fit into your top 5, surely there is another Tar Heel that can knock him from the ranks...Duh

Posted by: Klowe1955 | May 20, 2009 10:45 PM

The Wiz should consider Juwan Blair. He's a rebounding beast and the Wiz could use a real rebounder. If they took Blair, they could trade Pecherov and Blanche. They should also consider moving Juan Dixon and pick a PG in the second rd. So the objective is to stick with their philosophy of getting a good PF. Since Blake Griffin will go first, Juwan Blair will be available at five. Take him...he's a beast.

Posted by: phillynick | May 21, 2009 9:42 AM

1. Wizards dont need rubio, i say the backup point position goes to crit.
2. Why would they trade Nick Young(I dont think GIL will let that happen anyway)but I Nick is a pure scorer and once he gets some d he will be a great.
3.Wizards should trade down and draft Earl Clark.

Posted by: Wiz23 | May 21, 2009 10:31 AM

The Wizards need a physical power forward who can rebound, play strong defense and score some points. Caron and Antwan are too much alike and we dont need three big scorers. I would go after Ron Artest. He is only 29 and fits the power forward position to a tee. He is a free agent and I would work a trade with Houston giving them Antwan in exchange for Artest. Then use the 5th pick on a good point guard.

Posted by: tgantt44 | May 21, 2009 3:20 PM