And So It Ends ...

Lakers, eh?

While I'm a sucker for any championship moment and celebration, even if I don't particuarly like the team that wins, there's always a flipside to it ... and that's this morning, the realization that NBA basketball is over for quite some time.

Though the people who aren't NBA fans seem to spend an inordinate amount of time reminding everybody that they ignore it, the die-hards begin today with a lot on their minds. Reflect on the season that was? Unless you're a Lakers lover, probably not.

Look forward to the June 25 draft, and who the Wizards might end up with?

Speculate on league-altering trades, or just Shaq to the Cavs?

Appreciate the chance to see players and coaches you always appreciated enjoy a championship? (For me, I was really glad to see Lamar Odom win something)

Wonder what the future holds for Dwight Howard, LeBron James or the Celtics -- whether Kevin Garnett will ever be quite the same?

I guess even when it ends, it never really ends for the true basketball fan.

Michael Lee says he'll check in for tomorrow's paper with some insights from Phil Jackson, including something I thought was pretty interesting -- that he didn't think the Lakers would get back to being a championship team.

The floor is yours to discuss your topic(s) of choice.

By Keith McMillan  |  June 15, 2009; 1:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Trade Rumors
Next: Kobe's Moment

Comments

Well, I don't really care as much about the rest of he league as I do about my Wiz. I'll weigh in on how some stuff affects my team, though. I'd love to see Shaq go to the Cavs because it's gonna eat up a lot of their cap space for at least a couple years and would probably relieve them of at least one decent player. Shaq is ok but at this point I'm not sure he's much better than a guy like BTH. By that, I mean I would feel comfortable playing him one on one unlike in years past.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I am glad the NBA season is over. At last!

I too wish Shaq goes to the Cavs for lots of money. I would love to see LeTravel crash and burn one more time. Shaq is old and slow. And the Lakers have proven with Gasol and Odom that you don't ALWAYS need a traditional big man to win it all.

Posted by: tundey | June 15, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

In terms of what we need in the draft, the answer is 'it depends'. If we are really trying to take a page out of the 'NBA Standard method of winning a championship' manual, then we need to not only marginally improve our defense but drastically improve it. This draft choice won't fix our problems but it may help us a little bit.

Looking statistically at our team when the Big 3 was healthy, we had a problem with the SG guard and with the C positions. We were getting killed at the 2 (using that boob Hollinger's PER as the barometer).

We were also still not giving BTH his due at that time so Etan was sharing the load. I think starting BTH and playing him for 35 minutes should close the gap enough at C so that we can concentrate on SG. If we draft Harden or DeRozan, I believe that we could be a really competitive team BUT we'd still be lacking defensively. We would be able to keep up with any team in the league on offense but it still doesn't address our interior rebounding and defensive deficiencies. Curry is an even further step in that same direction. Sure we'd be able to score but do we really want to try to win 110-105 every night?

Alternately, drafting Hill would be attempt to shore up our interior defense but realistically, is a young big even gonna get on the floor? No. Not until they get bigger and stronger.

The only solution barring a trade is to go with the SG and hope Flip's defensive philosophies take hold.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

tundey,
I hope folks see that this inside-out thing with a big C isnt the only way to win.

It's not like KG is a beast inside offensively. He's a jump shooter. It might surprise ppl to know that in the Celts championship season, 72% of KG's points were off jumpers. According to 82games, he only scored inside 28% of the time.

That same year, Jamison shot 35% of his shots 'inside'. So basically, it's not about where you get your points as much as whether you can slow the other guy from getting HIS. As long as the other guy isn't taking easy inside shots (or free throws) while you shoot all jumpers, you should win.

So...we need to improve our 3 point defense, our interior defense and we need to start getting to the hole to draw fouls. It's a tall task but we have the talent to do it.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

In Defense of AB

I know AB draws a LOT of criticism here. Some of it I believe is deserved but some isnt. AB is a product of his coaching. When he got here he was raw and we should have molded him.
It might surprise folks to know that in the last 3 years, AB's points, rebounds, assists have gone up every year. Obviously this is because he's getting more minutes. It's not like he's not improving or regressing totally, though.

What's interesting is that per 36 minutes, his blocks and rebounds have diminished. Sounds to me like it's either because of fatigue or he's concentrating less on defense now than he used to. That's the coaches' fault.

He is a really talented guy and could be a key player on a good team. He's our Lamar Odom...a big guy who is up and down but has loads of talent. If you put him in the right position, he could help us get where we want to be.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

On the down side...

The cornerstones of this franchise are all offensive players. We need a new cornerstone. Gil is still young and too valuable to let go. AJ is our only real rebounder and it would be a risky proposition to part with him. Caron is the weakest of the three defensively because he doesn't play interior defense nor does he close out on the wings. At least AJ puts a body on ppl inside and grans some boards. Rebounding is part of defense. Cb has a reasonable contract.
Trade CB, start DM at the 3 and hope that either NY or our draft pick can step into the starting 2 role. Alternately, put DM at the 2 (playing Bruce Bowen's role) and start AB at the 3.

We can do this.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

One thing about people saying Phil Jackson being a great coach....though I think he is a "good" coach to have won 10 championships, Phil never coached a team that didn't have argubly the best player(s) in the leauge on his teams; Jordan,Pippen,Shaq,Koby. How many coaches can say that? Your percentages of winning it all increase drastically when you start with great players. Say what you want about Koby, but I'll take him 10 to 1 over Lebron as the best and most complete player in the leauge and I'm a die-heard Wizard fan.

Posted by: garrybrown | June 15, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

What this team needs is a major emphasis on defense, rebounding and attitude. The player most likely to be available in the draft with these characteristics is Jordan Hill. If the Clippers after drafting Griffin make Zach Randolph available make the deal. Come playoff time its defense that brings home the hardware.

Posted by: wizardsfansince1970 | June 15, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I been following this blog for weeks now and it suprises me to a small extinct. for the guys that keep harping draft big,or go with harding because he is fundamentally sound, blah,blah blah. have you guys reallu been watching what really gets the job done in this league along with strong defense. look at your kobe's, pierce's, wade's roy's etc. you need an atheletic guy on the perimeter that can break down defenses going to that basket, and either finishing or dishing to open man. that would be evans, end of discussion. he fits all the wizs need at this point provided agent 0 is back to his old self. i surely hope eg sees this and acts on it. none of this trading for guys that are finished or on the downward side of careers (manu, ray,etc.). witness the # 5 pick in nj now that was ours and we couldn't wait for development. we always want the quick fix. we havent won anything since that trade and still do not have a pure , pure point guard after dismissing blake and on and on. we need to keep the pick take evans if there , if not derozan ! PERIOD!

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | June 15, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

bossclifnpooh2, I think the last time Gil was healthy, he was one of the best in the league at doing just this. Wasn't he 2nd in the league in FT attempts to Kobe? When he wasn't scoring he was giving it up to the tune of 6 assists a game.

Tyreke is nice but I'm not so sure pg is our biggest area of need. Sure would be nice if we had someone who would bust Varejao in the mouth every now and then and take a rebound from him.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Repeat after me: rugged, seasoned, defensive-minded PF in a trade.

Repeat after me: rugged, seasoned, defensive-minded PF in a trade.

Repeat after me: rugged, seasoned, defensive-minded PF in a trade.

Posted by: keithward64 | June 15, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"Why would Boston get rid of Ray Allen when they won a ring with him, and this season, didn't go as far as they had planned b/c KG got hurt."

Posted by: DC_MAN88

You can laugh but that is the rumor out of Boston and on ESPN's site. Supposedly, they want to get younger and Ainge really likes Evans, so he wants to move up. Allen is the most expendable of the big 3, has some value despite his age and on the last year of a big contract. Ainge couldn't move up to get Evans w/o giving up something of value and he gets an instant bench to boot. Maybe not a great bench but better than he had.

It does satisfy needs for both teams and figures to be a win/win if it ever happened. Young can keep Allen from playing too many minutes like he did in Boston if Young ever "gets it".

BTW, it'd be somewhat ironic since Ainge traded his #5 to get him and would now get one back for him.

Posted by: rocky123 | June 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say Zach Randolph and defense in the same sentence?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | June 15, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"I been following this blog for weeks now and it suprises me to a small extinct."

I sometimes wonder why it isn't extinct, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Thinking back to last season, I thought going into the Finals (LA was favored) that the Celts matchup advantage was Garnett over Gasol. This year, I thought LA's advantage was over Howard -- or rather, over the fact that there was only one of him, meaning the Lakers could gang up inside.

You'd think the Cavs would have had success with the same strategy, if their outside shooting hadn't become such a problem.

Orlando has to get Howard some help inside. If he were a better offensive player (I think of Olajawon), it would help, but he doesn't show many signs of developing a reliable jump shot. But if the Magic had somebody like Luis Scola, that would help a lot.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

ok professor (extent)

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | June 15, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Orlando is in a tough position now. They had the talent to get to the Finals, but are they really a Finals-caliber competitor? Something is seriously wrong with that team's chemistry, and these playoffs (and this series in particular) really highlighted that fact. Their body language on the court (especially when they would fall behind), their quickness to publicly criticize their coach.. nobody on that team is happy. It seems like there's a lot of in-fighting there; I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant trades out of Orlando this offseason.

Posted by: satchmore | June 15, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Did you notice the comment about if Agent 0 is his old self. And development is the Wiz problem. We have some of the best ahtletes in the league right now. Weight room for JM,and some discipline from AB, NY & JC will do a lot for us. Pec can bury long distance shots like the Linas Kleiza's , Rashard Lewis's , Mickael Pietrus's,Mehmet Okur's of the NBA. We need to utilize what we have. Also who knew Pietrus could play "D" like he does now. One more thing about Pietrus, I lost track last night . Did SVG forget he was on the team or was he in foul trouble? Just wondering, I in the tank for Kobe so I dont really care, but you have to play your best, not your JJ's and JN's at this point.

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | June 15, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"Orlando has to get Howard some help inside. If he were a better offensive player (I think of Olajawon), it would help, but he doesn't show many signs of developing a reliable jump shot."

They need to replace one of their jumpshooting starting "big" men with a big,physical PF who can help defend the paint and battle on the boards. They also need to upgrade their guard play offensively.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I would be surprised to see significant trades.

Howard was the only one that I can recall who publicly criticized. I was impressed how quickly this was resolved and forgotten. I would chalk that up as an impetuous move by a young man. I didn't see any further indication that he didn't respect van gundy.

Jameer nelson seems to be the consummate professional.

Rafer alston seemed to handle a very difficult situation with dignity. and he's still talking about sticking with the magic next season and playing behind nelson.

Nobody's happy when they're losing. but from what i can tell the magic are a pretty fun group of guys. they seem to know each other and respect each other. and everything i've heard come from the players mouths is a great deal of respect for van gundy.

the biggest thing that can improve this team hangs on dwight howard. if he can make some major improvements, i think this team as is has a good chance of winning a championship. he's just too young and it's not his time.

Posted by: crs-one | June 15, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 10:09 AM

Rashard lewis for rasheed wallace? tough chemistry-wise, i know. just speculation.

Posted by: crs-one | June 15, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, what's with the hard on for Rasheed Wallace around here?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Keithinator, I couldn't agree more. I think we could even get by defensively with CB in the lineup if we had that rebounding, defensive PF. I just don't know who had one of those that is willing to give him up. I think most teams now that THAT guy is usually a key to good team defense.
Common sense tells me that if you can defend inside, you can then extend your defense outwards. Maybe it's not that simple but it seems like it should be. I always wanted AK47 but seems like he's too injury prone. Back when he was at the 4 before Boozer got there he was perfect for what we need.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Lakers destroy Magic.

Magic destroy Cavs.

Cavs need more help than the Diesel to win a championship.

For Lebron to win a championship in Cleveland or elsewhere, he'll need to drop the Lebron against the world routine and accept another teammate on the stage.

The East can be won by any of 6 teams next year (and the Sixers aren't one of those).

Orlando is the favorite if they can keep Hedo and they move Nelson and Pietrus into the starting line-up.

Posted by: Izman | June 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"Back when he was at the 4 before Boozer got there he was perfect for what we need."

That's a perfect case of numbers being deceiving. Kirilenko's numbers were better before Boozer but, at the same time, the Jazz were a much worse team. Kirilenko didn't really bust out until after Malone left, at which point the Jazz went into a slide. He put up nice stats but the team didn't win. When Boozer (and Williams) arrived, the team got better and began to win, while Kirilenko's numbers declined. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"They need to replace one of their jumpshooting starting "big" men with a big,physical PF who can help defend the paint and battle on the boards. "
------------------------------------------

Don't forget the two jumpshooting "bigs" are the reason they defeated the Cavaliers. If Howard can develop a post move (he is still young), they'll be fine. OTOH, if I were Cleverland, I'll try to pry Turkoglu away (using Szczerbiak's cap space).

Posted by: sagaliba | June 15, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Samson, I don't really think Orlando has a problem other than immaturity. Their reliance on only 1 man in the post is a big part of the reason they made it as far as they did. Because there's only one guy down low you either have to leave a shooter open or allow the big man to work 1 on 1. Very few guys match up well against Howard 1 on 1 despite his poor shooting and limited moves.

Posted by: jon_quest | June 15, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Kal, not just looking at AK47's numbers back then, he seemed to be more of a guy that was content to rebound and block shots (his man and other guys, too) and didn't need to score a lot. He kinda reminds me of a Birdman type. Personally, I think that's what this team needs considering our best center is average on the glass.
In read to your comment about Sheed, I was wondering the same thing. I'm flaccid.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"Don't forget the two jumpshooting "bigs" are the reason they defeated the Cavaliers. If Howard can develop a post move (he is still young), they'll be fine."

Big whoop. The goal was to win a title. They failed, in part due to the fact that the Lakers had multiple skilled bigs who could challenge Howard at both ends and the Magic didn't have the weapons inside to respond.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Kal, not just looking at AK47's numbers back then, he seemed to be more of a guy that was content to rebound and block shots (his man and other guys, too) and didn't need to score a lot."

Not true. Prior to Boozer taking up residence as the primary offensive weapon upfront, Kirilenko scored about 16 ppg, and was one of the team's leading scorers. When Boozer took over, his scoring and shot opportunities declined and he was anything but "content." he complained publicly about his diminishing role in the offense, which is what led to his increasingly lax and inconsistent play on the defensive end and his extended residence in Sloan's doghouse.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Kal, I looked back at the Jazz again and they sucked even with Boozer playing 51 games in 04-05. The next year he played only 33 games yet they improved. Last year they won 48 with Booz only playing 37 games.

It seems like Deron Williams is the key player that turned the fortunes around. He's the difference, not Boozer nor AK47.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"It seems like Deron Williams is the key player that turned the fortunes around. He's the difference, not Boozer nor AK47"

"Based on what I remember, AK347 complained about playing out of position at sf. Of course, I could have a case of the 'Andy Petitte'. Maybe I misremembered."

I never said anything about Boozer being "the difference" did I? No, I don't believe I did. I said that Boozer coming in and taking over at PF (and moving Kirilenko to SF) had a negative impact on Kirilenko's numbers and his attitude while, at the same time, improved the team's overall success. Nothing you've said actually disputes that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 15, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think playing time is the issue. If the Jazz ever find a SG that can hit a 3, then Kirilenko will be a starter. If he starts over Korver now, then the Jazz only have Okur and Williams as 3pt threats.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

sagaliba: "Don't forget the two jumpshooting "bigs" are the reason they defeated the Cavaliers."

I'd argue that as well as Orlando played, Cleveland lost that series as much as the Magic won it. The main culprit being their erratic outside shooting -- an unexpected reversal from the regular season.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz have Blatche & Songaila playing center when they're really power forwards. I believe that McGee will find his niche as a high energy 4/5 that fits more in the mold of a Camby or Varejao. Not really a true center until maybe later in his career.

I'd say finding a center that can mix it up should be a priority. I was impressed w/ Orlando's B/O center, I think I read he'll be a FA. Ernie would have to make a trade that would clear some slots to even begin to think about bringing someone in on a MLE.

Kaman is an overpriced option that could be on the market since the Clippers have a logjam at the 4/5.

And there's the option of Thabeet in the draft. But to me watching playoff basketball, the Wiz need another big off the bench at the 5.

Too much riding on just Brendan's shoulders, I think he'll do better bringing in a rookie the then trading for a vet.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 15, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"rugged, seasoned, defensive-minded PF in a trade" - keith

Who would that be? I'm a big believer in chemistry, so I'm all for losing the offensive output of either Butler or Jamison for someone who can help set a defensive tone as long as they don't disrupt the offense. But who is that?

One thing just just crossed my mind is the Lakers. They have both Ariza and Odom up for free agency. Both players are good defenders. The Lakers might not want to pay to resign both. We could offer them Butler or Jamison (Butler makes the most sense for them) and an expiring contract in return for both of those players resigned.

Odom and Butler are the same age, so we don't get any older there (we get younger if it's Jamison we move), and Ariza is only 23, so we bring in some talented youth. Ariza is like a more talented version of McGuire. The Lakers would maybe save a little money ths next season, but then would have one less contract for 6 mil or more the following season. They'd loose defense but gain a real, legitimate second/third scoring option.

We'd lose some scoring punch, though I think we could make up for it with small contributions from multiple players. But our defense I think could improve dramatically.

Posted by: segastyle | June 15, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"Orlando is going to get a lot better next year and as long as they resign Turk or find a suitable replacement, they're going to be a bear to contend with. The Wizards have no chance against them with our poor perimeter defense. I think the Wiz will match up fine against Boston and Cleveland next year, but Orlando is a nightmare.Posted by: jon_quest"

Orlando certainly suffers from immaturity, but they have real matchup problems as well. They were never able to answer the question of who would guard Kobe, and Howard, for all his dominance, wasn't able to control Gasol the way he had Cleveland's inside players. Until the Magic are able to get some help for Dwight in terms of inside scoring, teams will be able to swarm the poor guy. The Cavs players were wondering how LA would deal with Howard -- and now they, and the rest of the league, have seen the answer.

Orlando comes out of this loss as a real contender for next year, so long as they make some adjustments.

You know who impressed me almost as much as Orlando? Denver. Now that's a team to pay attention to.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I care about the Bullets and I care about Lebron not winning a title. Lets talk draft and other off season moves please.

Posted by: lavar609 | June 15, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

the wizards definetley have the pieces to compete for a world title.

defensively i believe they need to take the challenge of being labled "soft" and commit themselves to the defensive end of the court. Offensively (with arenas healthy) we can score with anyone, like Golden State, Dallas, Phoenix, but our issue is the defensive end of the court. When we speak of draft needs there isnt really an impact player outside of griffin that would fill a need of ours. If new york wants stephen curry as bad as they say they do then it would be smart to hold that pick hostage. New york wants to sign and trade david lee? and relieve some cap room? well, we have a top 5 pick, two expiring contract and a prospect, i think that would be more than enough for david lee and larry hughes. Larry hughes can start along side arenas and buy nick young a few more seasons before he has to step in the limelight. david lee can come off the bench and provide some toughness inside. him playing along side songalia or mcghee(because lee can play the 5 and 4) whichever matchups work to our advantage would be vital for a deep playoff run, he also can suceed jamison at the 4 spot in a few years. Crittenton has showed he can pass good enough and i think for that second unit flip needs to install the pick and roll plays for crittenton and mcghee, critt can throw the oops to nick young and mcghee and they have the athletisicm to grab the ball. Getting Lee on our bench would make our 2nd unit one of the best in the league. trade secenarios could possibly be:

new york acquires:
#5 pick(stephen curry)
andray blatche
ethan thomas
mike james

wizards acquire
david lee
larry hughes.

, potential lineups are as followed:

1- arenas
2- hughes
3- butler
4- jamison
5- haywood

6- Lee
7- Mcguie
8- crittenton
9- young

i think that team could go very far if and when healthy but we will have to wait and see right?

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 15, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

New york wants to sign and trade david lee.....

So you dont want the #8 pick that NYK has? I know there taking expiring contracts , but Lee & Hughes ? With the number 8 ok. There's not that that a nbig a difference unless you want Curry or Hill, everybody from 2-15 are all not that much, just what you need on a particular team to fit your needs. Just saying, if NYK want him that bad, they have to pay

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | June 15, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

So you dont want the #8 pick that NYK has??

id also trade that number eight and see if i can get a james posey, a anderson varejao, a leon powe, a chuck hayes, a bridman type player. some one that will also bring alot of energy off the bench at a reasonable price.

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 15, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama
------------------------------------------

If you trade, say Turkoglu for Big Ben or Varejao, I doubt if they can beat Cleveland and get to the final, let alone win a championship .

Posted by: sagaliba | June 15, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

getting David lee and hughes is not going to take us any where.David lee is not a good defender, there is no need to brinG larry's contract to loss haywood.I no it is hard to do it, if Lakers want sign both Ariza and odom i will not hesitate to trade Butler with expiring contract that might include our #5 pick, what ever it takes,our defense will improve, Odom can play any position, Ariza can come from bench for 2 or3 or could start.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 15, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

getting David lee and hughes is not going to take us any where

oh so andray blatche and james harden would?

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

unless Ernie Grunfeld is curious about what it'd feel like to have a mob of fans beat the living crap out of him the LAST thing he better do is bring Larry Hughes back.

Posted by: blackman1 | June 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

sagaliba: "That's why Howard needs to develop a post move. I don't see Magic has big problem on defensive end. Howard is doing pretty well by himself. Now as long as others can rebound when opponent miss the shot. This can be addressed without acquiring new personnel."

I don't follow this reasoning. You've got a team with exactly one inside power player. He's so dominant that people forget that most of the time, he has no help at all inside. His 'power forward' shoots 40% from the friggin' 3 point arc. That has to be a setup for failure, for a couple reasons.

One, he can't hit a 12 foot jumper. That means you can station people in front of him so he has to come out to receive the ball. Once he has it, he has to put it on the floor to get closer to the basket. Big guy dribbling = possible turnover.

Two, he's not a real good passer out of the double team (unlike, say, Shaq). If you swarm him, he's likely to turn it over.

Three, if he does get the ball inside, say off an offensive rebound, and puts it up unsuccessfully, there's nobody to help him get the rebound. They're all milling about hoping for a jump shot.

I think they need to get him help, and fast. He's a great, great talent, so why waste his best years?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Do the Wizards still have the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko?

If so, what are the chances of his coming over?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 15, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Do the Wizards still have the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko?

If so, what are the chances of his coming over?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 15, 2009 6:14 PM

Veremeenko would be indispensable if the Wizards start playing teams from Bulgaria, but he'll never be an NBA player.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 15, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

You are right, it is very hard to anticipate where Andre Blache and Harden, james are going to take us.But their combined price is 7 million. david lee by himself will be 7 to 9 million in a sign and trade.The main problem is the additinal year that we have to be in pain in paying 13.3 million for larry who might make it only for 45 games a year.
I think we have to make the right move , other wise we will be fine just to make it in playoff by down trading the #5 pick for cup space creation for possible landing a talent before the trade date is over.
I will say it again no rash, our 13.8 million is going tobe a gold around the mid season.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 15, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm crazy about the Wizards first of all. They are the only reason I have league pass since I don't like in the D.C. market. I truly believe that the coaching chance is going to make all the world of difference this year. Also you will see a new dedication from the young guns (AB,NY, JM) I know EG has a draft day surprise up his sleeve. I feel we are going to add that piece that going to take us to the next level. We do need a sharpshooter that will spread the defense and allow us to play a solid inside out game. That sharpshooter can't be a rookie thought. We need a crafty veteran that's on the verge like the steal we pulled with CB. I would not mind Josh Howard on this team at all. He would be a great addition and can play a big two guard. I wouldn't mind Chris Wilcox either as a backup for the PF or C. We could change line ups and go big or small. The starting line up could be:

GA

DS
JC

Trade:
AB, draft pick, Mike James, Etan Thomas

Posted by: lemekdivine | June 15, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Samson151,

I meant Howard is doing pretty well by himself "defensively" (as to counter kalo_rama's claim that Howard needs help on "both ends").

I do agree that they lack the inside game offensively. That is why I said Howard needs to develop a post move. As to your 1,2,3, Shaq could not hit 12 foot jumper either. So that is not a necessary a killer. Howard is not known as a passer, but in the final, he seems to be passing OK, so that's an area he needs to (and can) improve on. As for the 3rd point, a big PF may help, but it may also crowd the lane and draws another defender near Howard. OTOH, having 3-point shooters can spread the floor and allow Howard more operating rooms (of course it all predicated on Howard developing a post move first). It is a pro-and-con situation, and can have more than one answer.

Posted by: sagaliba | June 16, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemekdivine | June 15, 2009 10:27 PM

thats not a bad move at all. I think chris wilcox is a banger and he could come at a relatively cheap price and josh howard playing the two gaurd would be good as well.

but did anyone hear about josh smith being on the move?

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 16, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

In the NBA the team with the best players usually wins so who do you give best coach title too if not phil. Some guy who does not win 10 titles but wins one without the best players. The next active coach that has won as many is Pop in SA and he had David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu. All great players, plus role players from other championship teams. Red had great players, Pat Rielly had great players in LA and Miami. Name a championship team that did not have great players. Even the teams that lost the championships had great players. There is no cinderella in the NBA.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse