Arenas, Draft Update

Gilbert Arenas informed me that he is in Orlando working out this week and has tickets to attend all three NBA Finals games at Amway Arena -- that is, if three games are needed. Arenas has spent a lot of time in Florida this offseason.

From what I hear, Arenas has been working hard to get in shape for the upcoming season, with a workout plan that he was designing the last week of the regular season. I heard that Arenas is in excellent shape and has already lost 20 pounds in the past month or so. If I run into him at any of the games, I'll check on that.

Two days after the Wizards hired Flip Saunders as coach, Arenas held an individual workout with him. The workout was part bonding exercise and part showing the new coach what he's got. And, I've heard that Arenas has worked out with Saunders a couple of times since the season ended.

The NBA draft is less than three weeks away, and there are rumors about players sliding and rising, even though teams haven't had a chance to see most of these guys in individual workouts. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express is reporting that Arizona forward Jordan Hill could slip out of the top five and fall closer to No. 10, with the Wizards possibly leaning toward Davidson point guard Stephen Curry. The Wizards will start bringing in players for the fifth pick tomorrow.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford had an update on Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, who has notified his club that he wants to terminate his contract and is challenging the $6.6 million buyout, which balloons to $8 million after June 30. Rubio is slated as a top five pick, but one of Ford's sources told him that he will not do workouts but could possibly visit Los Angeles, Oklahoma City and Sacramento. Notice anybody left off? Yeah, Memphis, which holds the No. 2 pick. The source told Ford that he doesn't want to play there after Pau Gasol and Juan Carlos Navarro had poor experiences.

Notice anybody else? Yeah, Washington. A league source informed me that Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, has no interest in his client playing for the Wizards, even if they were able to move up in the draft. The source told me that Fegan cannot see Rubio and Arenas sharing the same backcourt, since both players need the basketball to be effective. If anybody would know, it'd be Fegan, who represented Arenas from 2002-2006.

By Michael Lee |  June 9, 2009; 9:20 AM ET
Previous: Magic Close but Can't Close | Next: Wizards Working Out Louisville's Williams

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Curry can shoot the ball but I would rather pick Harden who is a better defender and a bit more NBA ready.

Posted by: jeremybozz | June 9, 2009 9:45 AM

GILBERT HEALTHY!! FANTASTIC NEWS

everyone was kicking the wizards while we were down, now its time for revenge!!

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 9, 2009 10:00 AM

Great post, Michael. I've had my doubts about the potential Rubio/Arenas backcourt, so I'm not too disappointed that door seems closed. Glad to hear Arenas is in shape and is meeting with Saunders, although I hear he's a team killer... Especially glad that you have nothing to report on his knee.

Posted by: ManuteBogues | June 9, 2009 10:01 AM

Agent Zero will be back when we see him blow by a defender and dunk.
Michael could you ask him if he is serious about playing Summer League in July? It'd be pretty fun watching him throw lobs to JaVale and setting up Nick & Dom for dunks but does he really need to play?

Posted by: elfreako | June 9, 2009 10:27 AM

Curry and Harden seem like good picks. Hill is too thin to bang inside. I am leaning on Curry since Wiz have no real 3-point threat other than Arenas and Curry can also run the point a bit. Rubio is still years away from making an impact.

Posted by: t-train | June 9, 2009 10:36 AM

Mike thanks for responding to my request...great post.

Hopefully you catch up with Gilbert and get more details on how he's doing and if he feels hes got ALL his game back or how close/where he is.

The upcoming season largely weighs on whether he'll be the old Gilbery and durable for the demands of an entire season.

Posted by: insanity999 | June 9, 2009 10:51 AM

Mike thanks for responding to my request...great post.

The upcoming season largely weighs on whether he'll be the old Gilbey and durable for the demands of an entire season.

Posted by: insanity999 | June 9, 2009 10:58 AM

What do you guys think of trading the #5 and #32 pick and either the expiring contracts of mike james or Etan Thomas to the pistons for Tayshaun Prince and their #15 pick.

Dumars seems to be trying to get younger and get rid of cap space to land top free agents. Tayshaun would be huge for us- start him at SF and move Caron to 2. I normally would be against moving butler to 2 but prince can really handle the ball and is sort of considered a point-forward so we wouldnt be losing anything ball handling wise. Plus he is the elite defender we need and he is still relatively young. On top of all that he can shoot and score the ball.

Arenas
Butler
Prince
Jamison
Haywood

Off the bench:
Young
Stevenson
McGuire
Blatche
McGee

Maybe you sell the #15 pick for cash or pick up a Ty Lawson or Eric Maynor to back up Gilbert. Or trade the pick for a veteran backup PG.

Posted by: jeffco01 | June 9, 2009 11:17 AM

Curry is not only a great shooter, but he can flat out play. I was hoping we might start considering him. At the worst he would be a consistent 3 point threat from anywhere on the floor. But he is also a very skilled and dynamic player with great instincts and court vision so he could be a standout player from this draft 5 years from now.

Posted by: MeviousMan | June 9, 2009 11:27 AM

I'd be ok with picking Harden at the 5 spot. Even with Nick Young staying on. Stevenson, despite being only 28 has a lingering back issue, and sometimes that can be difficult to overcome. And that's all we have for shooting guards on the team.

Curry I know can shoot and score. I think he'd work in great offensively with the team, but I'd be worried about a starting backcourt of him and Arenas, defensively. It would be extremely small.

I vote for either taking Harden or trading the pick for something useful, not just for salary dumping. When you trade the 5th pick, you should be getting someone in return who is one of your top 6 or 7 guys.

Posted by: segastyle | June 9, 2009 11:29 AM

If we stay at 5 and its a choice between Harden & Curry I think you have to go with Harden. It would be nice having Curry as a 3 point assassin though. Tough call

Posted by: DMoney28 | June 9, 2009 11:30 AM

Fegan? Is that the same agent Gilbert fired?

Posted by: lameotron | June 9, 2009 11:39 AM

@lameotron

Yeah, I THINK Arenas fired him, partially due to the fact that Arenas knew he would be asking for max money, so there was no need for an agent in that regard...

Posted by: -CN- | June 9, 2009 11:44 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't imagine taking Stephen Curry at 5. The Knicks might take him, or Don Nelson, but he fits their style of play. Why would the Wiz, who already suffer from poor perimeter defense, take a flyer on somebody like Curry?

Harden is a different matter entirely, and he's no sure thing, either. But he has two advantages from Washington's perspective: he's an all-around player rather than an offensive specialist, and he can help out on the boards, a team weakness.

Good chance he won't be there at 5, though. Which suggests Jordan Hill. He's another rebounder, more an energy player than polished -- think the opposite of Andray Blatche.

Thabeet's the wild card. If he falls, will Grunfeld pass him up? I suspect he will, since he's on a short time line.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 9, 2009 11:53 AM

No way this team takes Curry, talk about the ultimate leak of mis-information to get other teams to trade up. Good strategy though, but Curry doesn't fit, even though he has a nice stroke...

Posted by: -CN- | June 9, 2009 12:01 PM

It is good/great news to me that Rubio is likely not to be a Wizard.

Also, great news that Gilbert is possibly 100% healthy and ready to show his worth.

Butcha' know, in my gut I feel that cleaning out our expiring contracts to upgrade our bench is the best move for the Wizards.

Upgrading Etan, MJ, Pech, Dson, and possibly Dstev would enhance the Team tremendously.

Getting and making like trades with the core while still having those guys above will not set us up for the long haul, or put us in the hunt for a championship.

You know', its like building from the ground up rather than from the top down.

Hasheem Thabeet would be a good start. I like Ty Lawson better that Curry. Ty Lawson is a money player. He shows up consistently when the game is one the line.

There are others, but building the bench is Golden in my analysis for this Team.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 9, 2009 12:02 PM

In 2001 Gilbert Arenas was the 2nd pick of the second round.I hope the Wizards are as lucky this year.

Posted by: jeremydvid | June 9, 2009 12:04 PM

I can't see Curry and Gil in the same back court.

Since EG decided not to trade AJ last year you know he believes GIL, CB, AJ, BTH are the Wizards best chance at winning a championship. So, the only position to fill is shooting guard? I would rather see them trade the pick for a 2 guard, but if they keep the pick I would like to see them trade down and take Gerald Henderson.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 9, 2009 12:13 PM

maybe that would work because tayshawn can gaurd on the perimeter and our three point shooting defense was awful, i cant even count how many times we were burned by,

boobie gibson
ramon sessions
jason terry
anthony parker
ray allen, the list goes on and on

but if butler worked on his ball handling, that would be a great back court between arenas and butler and a frontline of prince jamison and haywood would be great too.

i still think the wiz should pursue david lee of new york because he is a crasher and a banger something the wizards desperatley need.

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 9, 2009 12:39 PM

Looks like my sleeper pick of Curry is not really a sleeper. As for Gil and him sharing the ball, I've been looking for a 2 guard who can knock down a shot when left open. Plus, he will probably rarely if ever play at the same time, I see him as more of a backup to the sg and a guy who can play alongside Critt.
At the end of a game when we're down and need a shot, I'd rather have him than Roger Mason. Imagine, Gil, Curry, Aj, and Cb all on the court as viable end of game options....almost impossible to stop a decent shot.

If the pick is Curry, cool. If it's Harden, I'm good with that, too. I'd prefer proven college production, though. His workout numbers were better than expected. 6'2" without shoes is tall enough. Gil is only 6'3".

Posted by: original_mark | June 9, 2009 12:39 PM

I would still like to see the team healthy. Keep in mind, last year our reserves played as starters, the bench should be fine and strong this year. Gil stated he was going to work out with Blatche (Hope so, his problem has always conditioning) and Nick Young over the summer. I can't see too much changing except dropping some hefty contracts like ET and/or MJ. With the draft, the wiz will have more than 14 people on the active roster; that’s too many; the pick may be used to move a hefty contract. I believe ET makes $6 mil this year as does MJ.

No one in the draft will get them over the hump, so fiscal responsibility should be the priority this year...as for the looming draft. I can see come moves come February depending on performance. New offense, new coach, healthy players!! Let’s not be so quick to dump the guys that gained valuable experience last year. This year with the roster as is we should have one of the deeper benches in the league, and don’t sleep on Pesh. We have not yet seen what he can do, Flip is going to bring out the best in him.

Posted by: Gooddad | June 9, 2009 12:54 PM

Mike,

Please let us know if Gil is still gimpy when you see him playing on the court.

Separately, have you heard of whether any teams have any interest in the 5 pick?

Posted by: Izman | June 9, 2009 12:55 PM

I think the wiz are in a unique position, setting themselves to not only make a good push now, but for 4 or 5 more years. That being the case, I strengthen the future, not build throw things away for a 1 or 2 year run. If you can trade the pick and expiring contracts for a young vet that is not a duplicate of what we have, fine, if not take the best player available.

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 9, 2009 1:02 PM

Don't we already have a version of Stephen Curry in Juan Dixon? I think they're about the same size and stature with great jumpers. Curry probably a better ball handler though.

Posted by: quinn3 | June 9, 2009 1:09 PM

Trade down to 10th to 18th pick and a big vet that can post defend and post 12pts & 7 boards a game in 20 minutes of relief. use the nes pick to get Eric Maynor - the Gilbert Arenas of this draft. He can handle, deliver, shoot from all over, break ankles, defend and steal. Plus he is money at the clutch.

Posted by: Blurred | June 9, 2009 1:10 PM

Dixon was great...7 years ago. Now he is a slowed down, undersized guard that can't hit consistently. I loved him and he has great heart, but his spot is on the bench coaching a Young, Curry or Maynor.

Posted by: Blurred | June 9, 2009 1:13 PM

The thought of GA designing his own workouts is scary. We know what happend the last time he did this.

Posted by: browneri | June 9, 2009 1:17 PM

The Wizards were never going to trade up in this draft. Wasn't going to happen. Ever. So Rubio's agent saying he doesn't want to play in Washington with Arenas is a moot point if there ever was one.

It's nice to see Curry getting a look, I think he'll be a solid NBA player. Too bad it won't happen in D.C. because there is virtually no chance we keep this pick. I've said this repeatedly on here since around the all star break in February--the Wizards are moving the pick in a package that will include Etan Thomas and/or Mike James.

So all these predictions of who we'll draft are a complete waste of time.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 9, 2009 1:46 PM

I liked the idea of trading down and getting rid of ET or MJ or both....is Stephen Curry THAT MUCH better than Eric Maynor?

Both guys can shoot (edge to Curry) Maynor has better handles and slashing ability, and to me has more of a killer instinct...Curry is kind of soft.

Maynor gives you close to the same and he'd be much cheaper than a #5 pick.

Posted by: insanity999 | June 9, 2009 1:47 PM

if they aren't able to get harden with the 5th, then i dont see any problem with them trading down to dump contracts, they could get some tremendous players later on that could help just as much as any other player at 5, i'm not sold on curry for this team, and the team could use a terrance williams or gerald henderson, both could be had in the late lottery...both can play defense and hit shots, although williams jumper could use work...

if i am gm i stay put at 5 unless someone offers a trade for an impact vet, at 5 i pick harden if he is there, or tyreke evans, many people are comparing evans to larry hughes, and we all know what hughes was able to do in his time here, but take a look at evans, he is not nearly as fragile as hughes, he is an incredible competitor, offering to go up against any player in the predraft process, however, harden and derozen have declined...evans would be a great fit with gilbert

Posted by: jasonma1 | June 9, 2009 1:50 PM

I know Gil will be ready when I see him running with the parachute trailing behind.
I'm looking forward to seeing this team healthy and a little more mature. I don't suspect that there will be much help coming in the draft or a trade. You never know though we might get a real sleeper. I would like to see Javale, Pech, Critt, #5 & 2nd rounder play big minutes in the summer league. (Stay home Gilbert).

Posted by: VBFan | June 9, 2009 1:54 PM

Hopefully EG will make a good move like the Butler deal and not ones like Pech or extending ET ($6 million for a poet). Pretty good money, huh?

As long as we get somebody that can come in and contribute NOW and not be termed a "project" which will happen if EG trades down. Would be nice to get ET and James off the books but I rather have a contributor and keep ET and James.

Go Wizards.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | June 9, 2009 2:06 PM

Posted by: fearturtle44 | June 9, 2009 2:06 PM

Actually, Resigning Etan was Wes's last (dumbass) decision. And the Bucks screwed us over by putting in that damn trade kicker that makes him damn near impossible to move.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 9, 2009 2:23 PM

Is there any chance we get creative with the pick and package it with maybe Jamison to get a better talent? Do we even have a shot at potentially Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire? I would rather not have another rookie on our team. I'd rather trade it for a veteran presence who can help us RIGHT NOW. We only have 2 more years with the Big 3 (Arenas, Butler, Jamison).

Posted by: jthang19 | June 9, 2009 2:38 PM

As far as the 2nd round pick goes I think we need to keep a eye on local prospect Dajaun Summers from G-Town I think we will be a stel int this draft. Not to say he well be an instant contributor but he will give us a certain amount of toughness that we lack. With his size,athleticism,and shooting range he will certainly have a spot in this league.

Posted by: ccrum87 | June 9, 2009 2:42 PM

I'm glad the Wiz are finally looking at Curry. Teams will have to play honest with Gil, Caron, and Jamison. This would leave Curry wide open. If not, it would force teams to play Gil one-on-one. The Wiz need another scorer in the backcourt. This will also help Brendon's game as well. You can surround him with 4 shooters. This will help his rebounding. The biggest hole the Wiz have is 2-Guard. I know Curry is not a two, but him and Gil would be a awesome pair. I also think Stevenson is better coming off the bench.

Posted by: CRJJ | June 9, 2009 2:45 PM

It's nice to hear that Arenas is healthy and getting ready for the upcoming season. I really want to see what this team can do if healthy all year! As for the draft I have mixed feelings about what to do with that pick. I trust that Ernie Grunfeld will make a solid decision. People knock him, but this guy knows how to build a team. Go and look at all the teams he has put together over the years, this guy can do it.

Posted by: BeltwayBoy | June 9, 2009 2:50 PM

Given our problems in having a reliable 3-point marksmen with Mason leaving and NY not showing he can be a consistent long range shooter, I'm more open to the Wiz drafting Curry. He's by far the best pure shooter in the draft and has shown he can get his shot against taller defenders. Will he be a liability on the defensive end? Probably no more than Agent Zero who can't stay in front of his man and isn't a good help defender.

Longer term Curry could develop into a 20-25 point a night scorer which would be a nice insurance policy if Arenas never is able to return to his pre-injury form. At a minimum, Curry is an upgrade over others we have in the backcourt like DSS and NY.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 9, 2009 3:04 PM

Gil's getting healthy and the Crabaliers (featuring LeTravel) get smoked by the Magic. This is turning out to be a great spring!!

Posted by: thebone | June 9, 2009 3:55 PM

Posted by: quinn

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 9, 2009 3:58 PM

I hope the Wiz keep posturing like they are high on Curry. Hold NY, GS, or PORT ransom. Trade the #5 for their 1st and a banger/rebounder/defender type and then use that 1st for a PG (Maynor, Flynn, etc). If we play our cards right, and there is really that much interest in Curry we could make out nicely. I am not sold on Curry or Harden, much less Hill, at 5.

Posted by: furious50 | June 9, 2009 4:07 PM

Did someone just use the word toughness in the same sentence as Dejaun Summers? Ha!

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 9, 2009 4:09 PM

bottom line is that the Wiz need a banger in the post or a solid perimeter defender. Their chance at a banger vanished with the lottery, so I think, whatever it is worth, that the Wiz should take the best defender out of harden, DeRozan, or Evans. If DeRozan is the guy then you can move back to get him. Harden, who is a great passer, is growing on me now that he has proved that he's got the physical tools to be an elite 2.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 9, 2009 4:14 PM

"Have you ever watched the two of them play? Curry is 5 times the player dixon is. not even close.

Posted by: the_shocker1"

Not necessarily what he was, though. Dixon did happen to win National Player of the Year. I remember watching Curry and thinking he was eerily similar to Dixon when he was at UMD, as far as an overall skillset goes. And that's what should give us pause with Curry (though I don't expect Curry's shot to fall off the way Dixon's has).

Posted by: psps23 | June 9, 2009 4:19 PM

ha i just hope gil comes back 100%

Posted by: BlackHibachi | June 9, 2009 4:22 PM

Also, unless the Wizards end up getting a star like Bosh or Stoudemire, there's no shot I would want to trade back from #5 simply to get rid of Thomas' or James' contracts. There is zero added value for that (actually, negative value). You don't trade two expiring contracts AND lower your draft status for nothing. Keep the expiring deals and draft who we can at #5. If we're doing well in the season, trade the deals for some mid-season help. If not, let them expire, then add something else in the offseason.

More importantly, get the best player possible out of this draft. The team isn't helping itself by moving down.

Posted by: psps23 | June 9, 2009 4:27 PM

I'm slowly resigning myself for Curry for a couple of reasons.

It could be great for our future and second team if Curry, JaVale, Blatche, and Young could develop together. A very skilled point guard, an extremely athletic center, and improving big who can pass, and a scoring slasher.

The ultimate key is could Ernie find his usual second round gem. I particularly like Sam Young of Pittsburgh. Or, Lester Hudson.

Posted by: cwhiteco | June 9, 2009 4:31 PM

You are fooling yourselves if you think Curry is going to be able to get his shot off against bigger defenders in the NBA. He will be very nice in a Steve Curr-esque role as a pure shooter who will knock down open 3's when others draw doubles. But thats his role. He is a 2 guard in a 1's body - he is not a true PG and we all know the experiments to turn college 2's into NBA 1's have not gone well.

Posted by: FunStreet | June 9, 2009 4:38 PM

The other advantage with Curry is his three point shot abilities. We really missed Roger Mason last year. And, with Gil, Caron and Jamison, Steph would be able to get a lot of open looks.

Having said all this, if we can get Amare I would make the trade. However, I would not want to lose Gil, Caron or JaVale in the process. I would give up anyone else plus the fifth.

The Wiz also need to try and sign a banger and defender. Perhaps "The Bird" Anderson from Denver. Who I know wants to stay in Denver.

The Wizards weakness last year was three point shooting, interior defense and rebounding.

Posted by: cwhiteco | June 9, 2009 4:40 PM

Good to see Gil is on the right track; hope he isnt doin too much though! We need him for next season, not for the summer. I hope they are not entertaining drafting Curry. This would not be a good choice with the fifth pick. I dont think he would be able to defend some of the other guards throughout the league. If they want to pick him; they might as well trade the pick.

Posted by: delgc23 | June 9, 2009 4:43 PM

I disagree about Curry. He's going to be better then people realize. The guy has tremendous upside. He also has a very quick release and does not need a lot of space to get his shot off.

On a team such as Davidson he was the only real player and still excelled even though teams knew they needed to stop him. Imagine how effective he could be when surrounded with decent players.

He said last summer he played with the likes of Chris Paul and Lebron and held his own against them. Plus, he will get better and will get stronger.

I like Jonny Flynn as well, but I wouldn't take him at five.

Posted by: cwhiteco | June 9, 2009 4:47 PM

The lottery is how teams make the huge strides. We lost the lottery. There is not a potential franchise changing guy projected at the 5. We won't have another chance to stink this bad unless 3/5 of the playoff team core gets injured again.

Our best bet is to get into next year's lottery. We should simply trade this year's #5 for next year's #1 of the clippers, grizzlies, timberwolves, bobcats, or thunder. Maybe we do better with the balls next year. Or perhaps the class is stronger next year.

Posted by: cballer | June 9, 2009 5:00 PM

Not sure why people are suggesting we trade our 5th pick and an expiring contract for a lower pick. That makes no sense. First off, you have to trade salary for salary. So whoever we give an expiring contract to has to give us an similar contract in return. That won't be an expiring contract. So we'd be giving up the 5th pick, an expiring contract in return for a lower pick, and a longer contract (presumably of a player not any better than the one we're giving away).

If the Wiz decide that Harden is the player they want (assuming no Rubio or Griffin) they could also maybe talk to Memphis about a trade. The other teams rumored to be doing so, Celtics, Rockets, and Knicks have less to offer. We could offer the 5th pick, allowing them to still get a PF in Hill, and we could give them an expiring contract or even Pech, who would actually get some pt over there at the pf spot.

Posted by: segastyle | June 9, 2009 5:08 PM

cwhiteco speaks the truth. Curry will be a baller. forget about his size. he has high b-ball IQ, was triple teamed every play in college and still lead the nation in scoring, and can get his own shot. if we keep the pick, take him. the wiz need a deadly 3 point shooter badly.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 9, 2009 5:30 PM

......and a very underrated passer....

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 9, 2009 5:32 PM

If we let the expiring deals expire, I don't think it helps get FA's next year next year bcause we will still be close to the cap. The way to go over the cap is to sign our own players.The expirings only help us if we have a player on our roster that needs a fat new contract in 2010.

For example, if traded #5 and Pech for David Lee, the salaries would match now. Then when Etan and James come off the books we could sign Lee to $10Mil in 2010.

But if we wait until 2010 to go after Lee, we couldn't sign him because it would put us over the cap - which we can't do.

If NY signs him for $10 Mil and trades him to us for #5, Etan & change that would work too.

So that's a scenario where our #5 and expirings could be useful. But that's a very hopeful example. NY probably wants more than #5 and $10mill expiring for Lee.

Posted by: cballer | June 9, 2009 6:04 PM

"...if Curry, JaVale, Blatche, and Young could develop together. A very skilled point guard, an extremely athletic center, and improving big who can pass, and a scoring slasher."

Only problem you don't actually have a 'very skilled PG' or 'a scoring slasher' in that group. Nick Young looks like a slasher but acts like a pittypat jump shooter. Stephen Curry is anything but a point guard at this juncture -- the most you could do is hope he develops in the the future.

Notice how much better Davidson two seasons ago, compared to last season? I suspect that's because they had somebody else playing PG and Stephen at his natural position (SG).

Maybe at some point he could grow up to be Mike Bibby...

Posted by: Samson151 | June 9, 2009 6:49 PM

Finally the Jordan Hill hype is dying down. Every time I looked at any mock draft during the season and post season I wondered what the hell people were seeing in Jordan Hill.
I would rather have Psycho T over Jordan Hill.

Posted by: seanmo1 | June 9, 2009 8:35 PM

I think that it's pretty unlikely that the Wizards would select Curry over some of the other talent in the draft, but who knows? He's an ace marksman, and he has a very high basketball i.q. If he bulks up a little, he could become an excellent NBA talent.

He's also been lauded by Bobby Knight as being "as good a passer as has ever played college basketball". See video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g

Posted by: satchmore | June 9, 2009 9:00 PM

The talk now is that Harden is going to go #3 instead of Rubio, so we probably won't get a shot at him.
I'm not sure about Curry. He's a great pure shooter, but he's got that low release, so I'm wondering if he's going to be able to get his shot off in the NBA. When they tested him at the combine, he wasn't especially quick, but had a surprising 35" vertical leap and got 10 reps with his bodyweight in the bench press. That's pretty good for someone who doesn't look like he has any muscles at all.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | June 9, 2009 10:22 PM

"He's also been lauded by Bobby Knight as being "as good a passer as has ever played college basketball".posted by: satchmore"

Thanks for the video, that was interesting. But watching that same sequence, I didn't come away with the same opinion as Bobby. Curry is obviously very skilled, but I remember how Knight used to fall in love with certain players, in much the way he would fall into hate with others. He was calling Damon Bailey the best passer in college basketball when the kid was a sophomore in high school.

Y'know, now that I think of it, Bobby's natural place was in the media. They like guys with strong, emphatic opinions, regardless of whether they're right.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 9, 2009 10:43 PM

Fegan's just afraid that Rubio would bond with Arenas and next thing he knows, Rubio would be firing Fegan and negotiating his next contract like Arenas did.

Wants to keep him as far away from Arenas as possible.

Posted by: Independent11 | June 9, 2009 11:10 PM

If there is any source, inside the Wizards organization, putting Curry's name out there I have to imagine it is simply part of the pre-draft shell game. I have watched several montage videos of him and I see little more than an outstanding perimeter shooter. 6'2" is way too small to play the 2 and I don't see anything indicative of him being able to play point in the league. Certainly has his dad's stroke though, exact same release.

I still like Tyreke Evans for his athleticism and toughness.

Nice words about Gilbert but they are just that until I see him play at least 10 consecutive games, exhibit the ability to get by guards and explode to the basket...and no limping. Hilarious when someone on here recently posted that Gilbert was now actually faster than ever...Really? Faster after 3 knee surgeries than before them....I can hear the theme music for the Bionic Man in the background now. Wow. I am still half awaiting the official announcement that he will not be playing at the beginning of the season but for us not to be alarmed because we are supposed to have already known this. Sorry, I have serious scar tissue here.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | June 9, 2009 11:57 PM

Also, is Bob Knight completely senile now? Seriously, he is praising Curry for the most fundamental passes imaginable. Curry displays zero characteristics of a special point guard...no speed, no mis-direction, no sense of tracking players without having to visually see them. Best passer in college basketball?! Knight's not even a drinker right?

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | June 10, 2009 12:25 AM

Almost forgot: in another video in the same series, Knight evaluates Blake Griffin as a tremendous talent who, "if he stays and continues to develop, could eventually become one of the two or three best players in college, by the time he's a senior."

Hmmmm.....

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 12:52 AM

About this latest Magic victory: the numbers suggest Orlando should have won by twelve or fifteen instead of 4. Don't know how you could shoot much better than 62% and still need LA to miss free throws in order to put the game away.

All the same, congrats to Orlando.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 12:59 AM

The Wizards HAVE to take Stephon Curry. Too much is made of his physique. Reggie Miller was no Adonis either. Curry is a flat out scorer who plays smart basketball,
and he is super competitive. He is used to being double and triple teamed, and can still get his shot off. This has toughened him up. When he adds 15 lbs. of muscle, he will be a very good NBA player. They will regret it if they pass on him.

This does not address the Wiz's need of interior toughness. With a healthy Haywood, an emerging McGee, and if Flip can light a fire under Blatches butt, I think they will be OK. And...the whole team has to defend much better.

Posted by: EJHooper | June 10, 2009 1:50 AM

Reggie Miller was 6'7" like a shooting guard is supposed to be in the NBA.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | June 10, 2009 1:58 AM

First there are so many dumb myths in this thread I don't know where to begin. Yes, Curry is a much better player than Dixon. Mainly bc he can actually SHOOT, but so could Dixon in college. He is a typical tweener and will have problems getting his shot off in the NBA although it is quick enough to be more effective than Dixon's in the pros.

Dixon is not even going to be in the NBA anymore people!!!!! So comparing Curry to him is doing Curry no favors.

No, Curry is the last player this team needs and I don't believe for a second we are going to draft him. We have plenty of shooters who don't play defense when healthy. He fills a need somewhat as a "knock down" shooter as Mark Jackson would say, but again his defense is so lousy as to be detrimental and not a good fit for our team whatsoever.

I think we take Harden or pull off some trade on draft day. Curry, red or yellow, no thank you!

Posted by: rphilli721 | June 10, 2009 4:25 AM

Well, it's all question marks. Figuring the best pick for this team depends on the answer to the biggest question of all: will Gilbert Arenas (finally) play up to his potential. If he does, then who needs Rubio. If not, the whoever the Wiz pick may not be able to make a difference, anyway. Since that'll have to come out in the wash, I'd take a both-ends player now

Posted by: jsouthard1 | June 10, 2009 4:31 AM

Curry will be a fine NBA player and a great outside/intangibles weapon for a team already loaded with physical players. That team is not the Wiz, which is the most physically-challenged in the NBA. We need to walk away from this draft with some speed and power. While there appears to be no great PFs or Cs where we're picking, Demar Derozan and Tyreke Evans would immediately upgrade our backcourt with their size and athleticism. Of the two, Derozan appears to have the greater star potential and to be the most ready to contribute this season. Evans has better defensive skills, which we could certainly use in the backcourt, and can back up both guard spots as well as SF. Neither has the NBA-ready skills of Harden. It is both possible that neither ever will, or that both will surpass Harden when their skills catch up with their physical potential (I did see Derozan play once at the end of the NCAA season and one could see him on the verge of dominating). However, any of the three would be preferable to Curry, who despite otherworldly skills, would be yet another match-up headache on a team loaded with them.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 10, 2009 5:50 AM

Michael
Have you considered doing a series of articles on the off season work out schedules and practices of each of the Wizards players? Perhaps go on a road trip and drop in on CB, BH, DSteve, AJ, NY, and particularly AB. And let us know how they are progressing or not...

Posted by: oddjob2 | June 10, 2009 7:19 AM

If Curry goes to the Knicks and plays significant minutes, he will average over 20 ppg in his rookie year playing that uptempo style. As someone else mentioned, even Nate Robinson and Wilson Chandler thrived in that system.
It won Nash 2 MVP's and he's nowhere near an MVP caliber player without it. D'Antoni knows this and really wants Curry. Hold them hostage, work out some sort of deal for Lee and call it a day.

Posted by: original_mark | June 10, 2009 7:34 AM

"Finally the Jordan Hill hype is dying down...I would rather have Psycho T over Jordan Hill.Posted by: seanmo1"

It's hard not to like Hansborough, but are you thinking he'll be an impact player in the NBA? Hard to see that. He's tall enough for an interior player (barely) but he's another guy with relatively short reach and not much of an outside option yet. The player he's always reminded me of is Nick Collison, but Nick can play some center and I doubt T can. Now I'm thinking he sort of reminds me of David Lee... that's why you should always avoid comparisons LOL.

Hill is definitely a talented athlete and aggressive enough on the boards. But you're right, he's raw and was overhyped during the season. Which is strange in itself, given that he's a Pac 10 player and most people don't see those guys very much.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 8:58 AM

Both LA and Orlando have three quality 6-10 or better big men. If the Wiz are going to compete in 2010 with top tier teams they must add a power forward and play Jamison at the small. The dream trade for the 5th would be to somehow land Chris Bosh. If Grunfeld can’t find a way to get CB it would be better to draft Jordan Hill. At least Hill gives them the size they need to compete in today’s league.

Posted by: utilitiesprocessing | June 10, 2009 9:45 AM

I don't think that Jamison and Butler match up all that badly with Lewis (who plays small despite his height) and The Turk (who has to be guarded as a ball handling 3, not a traditional 4).

Moreover, while Haywood obviously won't equal Howard's numbers, he has the right size and mobility skills to match up with him fairly well. The key, I think, is to obtain a top banger of the bench, as Blatche and Songaila don't match up well with the likes of Tony Battie and Marcin Gortat.

Where Orlando has suddenly gotten a light year ahead of the Wizards, and quite a few other teams, is at the two-guard. Lee and Pietrus are great defenders and Pietrus brings plenty of offense as a third or fourth option. For a season or so, it looked like the Magic had made a mistake letting Stevenson go on the cheap to the Wizards, but that worm has apparently turned completely.

If the Wizards want to do well in their own Division, much less the Eastern Conference, the answer is not going to be found in the draft (at least not entirely, as a creative choice at #32 might come in handy). The #5 pick and assorted pieces such as Blatche, Young, Songaila and the expiring contracts have to be transformed into a top-calibre two guard and a no-nonsense 4/5.

Posted by: khrabb | June 10, 2009 10:08 AM

I'll believe that Gilbert is actually healthy when I see it. He hasn't been health in 2.5 years.

Posted by: Dellis2 | June 10, 2009 10:30 AM

I don't think Curry is a good fit for our team. Yes, curry can shoot, but he played in an offense where they gave him the ball and allowed him to take 20-30 shots (sometimes more a game). If Gilbert is healthy, we won't have a problem scoring. Again, our problem is defense. If we draft Curry, he will get killed guarding some of the SG's in the league. Also, Curry is a shooter, I don't see him taking it to the hoop in the NBA and getting tough buckets. He can shoot no question, but he's soft, not a great defender, and is small. I really like Curry and respect him but he is not the answer to our problems. Also, IMHO he is not worth the # 5 pick in the draft. I would rather trade back, unload a bad contract or 2 and try to sign a guy like Chris Wilcox. Wilcox would help our front line with his size, athleticism, strength...he would give us some toughness. I think their are some good prospects who would be around later in the 1st round if we trade back and clear some money.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | June 10, 2009 10:32 AM

Curry, Not at all. We need to be strong and big at the back court.we need some body in Sg postion that could play better than curry on both side of the court.I will not take curry at #5, if they trade down and deploy one of their contact and get him with 1.9 million, it will creat a spot and salary cup room to sign either a dependable SG or back up PF who can play defense.I hope wiz will continue the tradem talk to get either Hinirich or Rip hamilton with the pick and the expiring contact.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 10, 2009 10:34 AM

Lewis and Turkoglu are a very bad matchup for Jamison and Butler. They've got a huge size advantage and while Lewis is known mostly as a shooter, he's actually a very good post player. And they con both put the ball on the floor and get to the rim against slower defenders. Jamison doesn't have the size to deal with Lewis defensively or to shoot over him on offense. Same with Butler and Turk. They're too big and skilled.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 10, 2009 10:35 AM

Hmmm. How about screw Rubio. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't recall it being the Ricky Rubio Draft. He isn't up on stage picking the team he wants to play for. Since when did this prick get a say in who he plays for? Other way around chalupa head. Hell with him anyway. And as much as I like Harden, isn't he and Nick Young basically the same exact player? I know Young had his stumbles early on, and I don't ever anticipate him being a huge cog in our machine. But his play later in the year last year showed he has some real potential and can most certainly score at will. I just feel like we're wasting our $5 pick taking Harden after already grabbing young last year. I'd MUCH rather have something we've been missing for years. With all the slashers (Young, Arenas, Butler) that we have that can get into the paint, we still really don't have that player that can sit on the 3 pt line and hammer in 3's. So Stephen Curry looks like a great value there. Not to mention he is MUCH more than just a 3 point shooter and can drill it from anywhere. I was not to high on Curry early on, but the more I think about, having a 2 that can drain it from anywhere on the court would be vital for us this year I believe. Having Gil, Curry, Butler, Jamison and Haywood/McGee/Thomas at the 5 would be a pretty potent package. Not to mention we still then have a VERY solid bench with Nick Young, Andre Blatche and Deshawn Stevenson (healthy again). I don't think that is an NBA Championship calibur team, but we'll certainly give Boston and Orlando a run for their money.

Posted by: storers11 | June 10, 2009 10:38 AM

kalorama: "Lewis and Turkoglu are a very bad matchup for Jamison and Butler."

Good point. You'd have a difficult time designing players better suited to vex AJ and CB than Lewis and Hedo. In the first place, they're just too darn tall. And both are quick enough to negate any Wiz advantage in those areas.

Jamison and Butler would have to try to outscore them.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 11:20 AM

"And as much as I like Harden, isn't he and Nick Young basically the same exact player?"

Not that I can see. Harden has his shortcomings, but versatility isn't one of them. He plays defense, handles the ball, helps on the boards, as well as scores. To this point, Nick's a one trick pony, and it's not all that good a trick, either. You could make a case that Young's the better pure athlete, but basketball's a skill game, isn't it?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 11:23 AM

"Jamison doesn't have the size to deal with Lewis defensively or to shoot over him on offense."

Jamison doesn't have the size to deal with 99% of the 4s in the league defensively, nor does he have the size to shoot over 99% of 4s offensively (hyperbolically speaking). If Lewis is a bad matchup for Jamison (relative to other 4s around the league), size wouldn't be the reason.

CB and Turkoglu, on the other hand...that's a different story.

Posted by: psps23 | June 10, 2009 4:00 PM

"If Lewis is a bad matchup for Jamison (relative to other 4s around the league), size wouldn't be the reason. "

Yes it would. As you just said "Jamison doesn't have the size to deal with 99% of the 4s in the league defensively, nor does he have the size to shoot over 99% of 4s offensively (hyperbolically speaking)."

Lewis falls into that 99%. No one said Lewis size made him a uniquely bad matchup for Jamison. Lewis' size is a bad matchup for the same reason everyone else's size is a bad matchup.

And I also didn't say that Lewis' size was the only reason. I also quite clearly noted his outside shooting (which pulls Jamison away from the basket and negates his rebounding) and ability to put the ball on the floor.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 10, 2009 4:05 PM

Posted by: khrabb | June 10, 2009 10:08 AM

crazzzzyyy

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 10, 2009 4:47 PM

psps what's good with that dominant center in orlando?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 10, 2009 4:49 PM

samson, do you think NY can improve his d, become a lil more offensively efficient and save us the pick of harden? I'm asking cuz i think nick can improve his skills, but i question harden's atheleticism. I dunno i just don't like us drafting a scoring 2 guard when we have a team littered with combo guys (DS,MJ,GA,JD). What's the word on derozan.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 10, 2009 4:54 PM

It makes no sense to trade expiring contracts with the pick unless its a huge upgrade a la Amare or Boozer bc the expirings help clear cap space next year.It makes some sense to trade down and include Stevenson or Songaila bc they have "bad" contracts but that would be a waste of the 5 spot. Either Harden, Derozan or Curry would fit very well. Its a guard-heavy draft and I personally would avoid PF Hill. I think Derozan could be very special in time and plays good defense now. He could start at the 2 or back-up the one. Ernie, offer the knicks the 5 for the 8 and include Nate or Lee in a sign and trade with James or Etan and NY. I could think of other scenarios where the Wiz may be interested in Hughes expiring contract and or Jeffries 2 year deal. Something is brewing on the trade front...

Posted by: wizfanatic | June 10, 2009 10:15 PM

I think the wizards need to draft Tyler Hansbrough they need a power forward they can replace Ethan Thomas. Hansbrough is more agressive more offensive talent and much of a rebounder than Thomas. it will give the wizards more power. I don't see Thomas will develop as a player He is getting old too so don't waste your time and money, with Tyler Hansbrough his young and a lot of time to polish his game and talent please do not waste anymore (5th pick) on this draft remember you wasted so much talent before like when Washington passed on karl Malone and others. I wish this time just say with the 5th pick the Washington Wizards pick TYLER HANSBROUGH!

Posted by: trademark1 | June 10, 2009 10:38 PM

If the wizards are to do ant thing in the NBA for years to come they need to get off their ass and spend money on a big man and more help for Gilbert. Polin or Grumfeild are to dumb and they just wont pay to help the team get better so spend money on plays like big men the celtics did it and they ended up going from worst to 1st and it has help them stay at the top of the east for the past couple of years. There no hard cap go over and bring in help for Gilbert or they will still stink next year

Posted by: jjohnson162 | June 13, 2009 5:29 PM