Curry Wins!

You like me. You really like me. (AP Photo)

Based on the results of the unofficial/unscientific Wizards Insider poll, fans here want Ernie Grunfeld to take Davidson point guard Stephen Curry with the fifth pick on Thursday -- if Grunfeld is going to keep it. At the time of this posting, there were about 3,600 votes cast, with Curry receiving 34 percent of them (more than 1,200 votes). James Harden and Tyreke Evans were tied at second with 19 percent (more than 650) and Jordan Hill was next at 15 percent (more than 500).

When Curry was in Washington last week, he said that he was a fan of the Charlotte Hornets -- the team his father Dell played for 10 of his 16 NBA seasons -- growing up, but added that his cousin was a fan of the Bullets/Wizards. Unless his cousin clicked his mouse several times to vote for Curry repeatedly, this is pretty resounding support for the 6-foot-3 point guard.

As I reported before, Curry was quite impressive when he met with the Wizards' brass in Chicago last month. Curry was the first candidate to meet with the Wizards, and I heard that he was so good in his interview that he was a pretty tough act to follow. I'm not sure what Curry said, but if it was anything like his interview with NBC New York's Bruce Beck, I see how the Wizards would be impressed.

Newsday's Knicks beat writer Alan Hahn recently wrote Curry's response after Beck asked him what type of NBA player he thinks he could be.

"A great one," Curry said.

Agent Steinz gave you the best of what he had to say here last week. His humility and talent have helped him considerably, according to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer.

Curry met with the Sacramento Kings on Saturday and Sunday. Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee reports that Curry is in the running for fourth pick, with Spaniard Ricky Rubio, Memphis' Tyreke Evans and Syracuse's Jonny Flynn. He's trying to mix in all of this while getting his college degree.

I spoke briefly with Curry in Chicago and he talked a little about the influence of his father and why he was passed over by so many in high school and had to settle on Davidson.

On how involved Dell Curry has been in his career: "If I had questions he would answer, but he really wanted me to experience it myself. It was more like watching him. He wasn't like a one-on-one coach for me. It wasn't like we went outside and he said, 'Put your elbows here.' It was me following him, being in the gym all the time."

On how he developed his long-range accuracy: "Growing up, I always had a ball in my hand. Always had that skill and I've improved it. I was 7 trying to throw up NBA threes. Tried to be like my dad. Use to go to all of their practices, just chucking them up."

On why so many colleges passed on him: "If I was a coach, and I was recruiting a guy like me in high school, just looking at me. I was 6-foot, scrawny, 160, as an ACC coach [said] it's kind of a stretch to take a guy who you know will have to adjust to the game. That's the risk somebody had to take although I know I would've held my own."

By Michael Lee |  June 22, 2009; 10:31 AM ET
Previous: The Missing Holiday, Rubio Slipping? | Next: Jamison Picks DeRozan

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I was surprised to see Curry measuring in at a solid 6-3 w/o shoes at the combine, he looks like he has a slight frame.

This team badly needs a nice spot-up shooter, but at the same time, this team won't struggle putting up points, when healthy. I'd like to see a player with some versatility, but unfortunately, that may mean taking on a player with some risk to provide that upside. The team seems to be in a win now mode, so given that, Harden or Curry makes sense, but I'd prefer Evans...

Posted by: -CN- | June 22, 2009 10:54 AM

In a regular draft he'd be late lottery, he's frail, always going to be a liability on defense, and can't attack the rim at the NBA level.

I know he's the shiniest apple out of a weak bunch, but I refuse to join the bandwagon, I see him as a slightly better version of Eddie House, and not sure if he's ever going to be an NBA starter.

Posted by: twigmuffin | June 22, 2009 10:54 AM

I voted for Harden in the poll but Curry would be my second choice.

I say if we keep the pick, choose the best player available and I think Harden & Curry are the 2 best behind Griffin. imo

Posted by: zxhoya | June 22, 2009 10:56 AM

With the right team and the right stuff, Curry should be a prolific scorer in the NBA. I think that is why a team like NY covets him where they have a wide open offense....not sure with the Wiz if he would be as good a fit given that they already have a Big 3 who needs a lot of touches. His role on the Wiz would likely be more of spot up 3-point shoot and am not sure he will be able to defend against stronger PG's in the NBA.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 22, 2009 10:58 AM

On this team Curry obviously comes off the bench as a shooter and spot duty at PG. Harden has the size and game fo start for the Wiz right now.

Posted by: zxhoya | June 22, 2009 11:05 AM

I lile Evans but not as much as many here. He's a versitale SG/PG who has no jump shot. Will he be able to get the rim in the pros like he did at Memphis, an up tempo college program?

Posted by: zxhoya | June 22, 2009 11:13 AM

Don't we already have Curry on the roster? Oh wait, that is Juan Dixon.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | June 22, 2009 11:20 AM

Good article in the Washington Times. Hopefully, it is accurate.

Posted by: Izman | June 22, 2009 11:22 AM

I keep hearing the word frail? lol, any of you ever heard of a frail kid named Rip Hamilton? I am not saying Curry is Rip but he has the potential to be better then Rip his shot is definitely more accurate now..The Wizards need to take this kid if he is there at 5

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | June 22, 2009 12:04 PM

Great point authorofpoetry- seriously, how's this guy any different than Juan Dixon? Same height, same build, great college scorer, and like Dixon probably won't be anything more than a role player in the NBA. This guy would be good if we were picking in our usual 17th slot, but this is the fifth pick overall. Let's get a big-time player. Evans looks the best

Posted by: jpish | June 22, 2009 12:08 PM

Regardless, the wizards are in good shape. keeping the draft pick will add to our depth, trading the pick can add to our depth, so I think we are in good shape. But as ive stated before..if New York wants curry..they gotta eat ethans contract, take blatche or songalia and we will gladly take Lee to bolster our defense and we can go with Larry to buy nick young some more time before nick becomes the starting 2 gaurd.

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 22, 2009 12:09 PM

Chad Ford: What would the draft be without a few Blazers trade rumors?

Portland GM Kevin Pritchard has been among the NBA's most active executives on draft night. In 2006, he pulled off three draft-day trades to get his hands on LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Sergio Rodriguez. In 2007, Pritchard landed Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Koponen with draft-day deals. And in 2008, Pritchard traded up two spots in the draft to get Jerryd Bayless and then landed Nicolas Batum in a trade.

Will Pritchard strike again this year?

The Blazers have been making inquiries all over the first round. Their main target has been Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, a burly power forward who plays with a toughness the Blazers lack and coach Nate McMillan would appreciate.

However, Sunday night, there was talk Pritchard has even grander plans. With point guard Ricky Rubio possibly slipping out of the top four, the Blazers are talking to the Wizards about acquiring the No. 5 pick. Pritchard has been on the hunt for a point guard, and Rubio would be a nice fit to round out the Blazers' collection of young, unselfish talents.

But trading for the No. 5 pick is far from a done deal, as the price would be high for the Blazers. The Wizards want any team interested in the No. 5 pick to take Etan Thomas off their hands -- a move that could eat into the Blazers' cap space this summer. The deal almost certainly would cost the Blazers some young talent, like Bayless, Travis Outlaw or Batum.

Even more pressing, McMillan has been pushing for the Blazers to sit out this draft and instead add a veteran to their young core.

Pritchard joked to The Oregonian that McMillan "will probably kill me" if he adds another rookie to the team. McMillan laughed and told The Oregonian, "you will have to put me behind bars" if Pritchard gets another rookie.

There's no question Pritchard also is trying to figure out a way to get maximum cap room this summer to use for a free agent or in a trade. The Magic's Hedo Turkoglu gets the most mention, but sources say Portland's real target is Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich.

If the Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon to a big contract this summer, they are going to have to part ways with Hinrich to be able to afford it. The Bulls are dangerously close to the luxury tax as it is, and gving Gordon a big deal would put them over the top. Enter the Blazers, who will have the cap space to absorb Hinrich's deal and put the Bulls back under the tax threshold.

Hinrich would give the Blazers a seasoned point guard, but one without the sizzle or upside of Rubio.

Can Pritchard sit back and let Rubio slip through his fingers?

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | June 22, 2009 12:12 PM

to a point have to disagree, because Juan came out when he was a senior. and juan played the two at maryland while steph played the one...has better ball handling and a much better shooter than dixon. But as we all know if this was a draft with the durants,odens etc... curry would probably be a second round pick, so i say trade the pick because we are in a win mode now. get the best value u can get for the top 5 pick

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 22, 2009 12:15 PM

Don't we already have Curry on the roster? Oh wait, that is Juan Dixon.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | June 22, 2009 11:20 AM

I think Curry is better than that, but...

If Curry can come through like Dixon did 6 years ago, adding energy, steals and 3s on the second team, I'd say that is very helpful. If you mean Dixon now, you are mistaken.

However, Maynor can do the same job as Curry at a mid-teen/early 20's pick, so why waste a 5 on Curry? Trade it for a vet a lower pick and a future pick.

Posted by: Blurred | June 22, 2009 12:18 PM

"lol, any of you ever heard of a frail kid named Rip Hamilton?"

(A) Hamilton is 6' 7" not 6' 3". That makes a huge difference. (B) There's a difference between being thin and being frail. Hamilton is the former but definitely not the latter.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 12:20 PM

wiz are in desperate need of ballhandlers, passers, shooters, defenders, and big(ger) guys that can put the ball on the floor and shoot from 18 and in. i'd love to see them take curry--to me at 5 its almost obvious (maybe evans). he can play the 1 and can play off the ball. he'd be the best passer on the team on day 1 (he doesn't get enough credit for being a good passer imo). i even think he'll be a good defender in the league--defense is about effort, basketball iq, spatial intelligence, and coachability--he has all of those things in a big way. i think curry will be some combination of deron williams/rip hamilton/jeff malone

for those that say he is juan dixon, that is utter nonsense--other than similar body type, skin color, and haircut, that's where the similarities ends.

Posted by: gpo5e | June 22, 2009 12:21 PM

Anybody who really watched this team last years knows that beyond the injuries, what killed this team was a lack of true skill. Too many guys like Blatche, McGuire and even Young try and get by with their natural ability on too any nights.

Curry is a stone cold shooter and has a strong basketball IQ, exactly what this team needs. Tyreke Evans would be very tempting as a big guard opposite Arenas and I personally want DeJuan Blair (trade down?), but Curry makes the most sense if they stay at five.

Posted by: b_standig | June 22, 2009 12:24 PM

How well do Nash or Tony Parker or Rondo handle them?
Team defense is about the guards getting a hand in shooter's faces. The big guys are the ones bearing the brunt. As long as Curry can close out and get his hand up, he'll be fine. How often do you really see pg's get posted up?
Ever since the defensive zone was allowed, posting up smaller players hasn't happened much. The post up game for guards is almost nonexistent because tall helpers are able to trap and cause turnovers.

Posted by: original_mark | June 22, 2009 12:27 PM

"Curry is a stone cold shooter and has a strong basketball IQ"

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 12:29 PM

Dom McGuire is just like Lebron James. 6'8 SF, athletic, strong, can play some 4, but can also put the ball on the floor and pass.

All of which is to say, Steph Curry is not Juan Dixon... at all. And he's not a second round pick in other draft classes... at all.

Still, I think I'd prefer Evans or Harden. Though I like Stevenson I think we're a better team if we can find somebody to earn his minutes and but still give us some size and defense in the backcourt.

Of course, if Gil gets hurt I'm going to wish we had a good point who can replace some of his scoring. Don't want to draft TOO much on need and assume we're going for a championship this year. This pick could affect us for the next ten years, remember. All in all, it's very exciting and I look forward to seeing how it unfolds!

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | June 22, 2009 12:32 PM

"I keep reading reservations about him being able to handle big pg's effectively on defense.
"How well do Nash or Tony Parker or Rondo handle them?"

Rondo is one of the best defensive PGs in the league. As for Nash and Parker . . . neither is great defensively, but they put pressure on opposing PGs at the offensive end by their ability to drive the ball off the dribble, which (A) draws fouls on opposing PGs, (B) forces help in the lane and opens up passing opportunities, (C) dr(D) all of the above. Curry's not a big threat to drive the ball off the dribble. he's primarily a long-range gunner, and an undersized one at that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 12:34 PM

Note: Dixon is a unrestricted free agent and will not be re-signed by the Wizards. Case closed. Next we need shooters/scorers. After the "Big 3" who will provide scoring off the bench, particularly if NY gets the starting nod at the 2. The more you can spread the defense, the better and easier it will be for the pick and roll. Team defense must be improved on the 3-point shot and I think team defense philosophy will change that, not individual defense. I believe Blatche, McGee and Haywood are good defenders in the post and with Flip, the team will be better. Fans, don't let the previous season coached by a bum, lull you into believinvg the Wiz are worthless. A healthy Wiz team will be a top 3-4 team in the East.

Posted by: garrybrown | June 22, 2009 12:34 PM

Eric Maynor could be a great addition to the Wizards....My preference would be to get somebody big who can rebound with the #5....there aren't a lot of shots after the big 3 get done.

Posted by: outrbnksm | June 22, 2009 12:36 PM

I fully agree with Garry Brown. This is a good team and we woudl be wise to add a good vet that give our starters a little relief and then get a lower pick and try for a future 1st rounder to fill a need down the road, too.

Posted by: Blurred | June 22, 2009 12:37 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add to my previous post....I endorse the selection of Curry

Posted by: garrybrown | June 22, 2009 12:39 PM

""Curry is a stone cold shooter and has a strong basketball IQ"

As I recall, that's pretty much the same thing people were saying about Riddick, Morrison, and Gerry McNamara coming out of college."

That is also what they said with a certain guy from Indiana State back in the late 70s. Guess what he's a HOF. Now before you go gaga, I'm not suggesting Curry will be going to Springfield when he's playing days are over. I'm saying you don't know if a player is a bust or a hit maybe after his 3rd year. And yes, I know Bird is 6'9".

Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 12:48 PM

What a shocker that the guy with the most name recognition wins the poll.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 22, 2009 1:00 PM

"I'm saying you don't know if a player is a bust or a hit maybe after his 3rd year."

Which might be relevant if I'd said he was going to be a bust. However, I never said he'd be a bust. So, basically, you aren't saying anything that has anything to do with anything.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:02 PM

"What a shocker that the guy with the most name recognition wins the poll. "

Exactly.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:03 PM

Who's the best defender among prospects available to us?

That's who I want! Or go after Trevor Ariza; that dude is a young 'lock-down' defender

Posted by: Vicc | June 22, 2009 1:06 PM

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that everyone with two brain cells to rub together didn't need three years to figure out that "a certain guy from Indiana State back in the late 70s" wasn't going to be a bust.

So, remind me again, what point were you attempting to make by gratuitously throwing his name into the conversation?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:06 PM

"However, I never said he'd be a bust."

Yes you did as you basically compared him to Reddick, etc.

Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 1:09 PM

Antwaan Jamison needs to come off the bench, 6th man.

He's undersized at the power forward spot and his body clearly cannot handle the rigors of starting a full season.

Posted by: Vicc | June 22, 2009 1:10 PM

"Yes you did as you basically compared him to Reddick, etc."

Well, using that logic, by comparing him to Bird you're basically saying he'll be a HoFer and one of the greatest players ever. So, by your reasoning, even if I had said he was going to be a bust (and I didn't), I'd still be pretty much guaranteed to hit closer to the mark than you.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:12 PM

"his body clearly cannot handle the rigors of starting a full season. "

The fact that he's only missed 18 games in the last 4 seasons (most of them in one season, 3 years ago) and has started all but 2 of the games he's played in that span suggest otherwise.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:17 PM

Curry would be a terrible selection. Good thing the 1,200 who voted for him don't run the franchise.

Posted by: CDon | June 22, 2009 1:18 PM

@Vicc

I don't see Jamison coming off the bench over the next 2 seasons, unless his game drastically declines.

Even if this team does acquire a forward worthy of starting (via draft, trade, etc.), I think he & Jamison would be starting in the front court together. Since Jamison's been with the the team for five full seasons, so that alone plays a huge differentiating factor from his days with the Mavs, where he basically was the new kid on the block. Here, he probably feels he's earned his stripes, so as long as he's putting up solid numbers, he'll probably be starting and not coming off the bench. His style doesn't suggest that he'll hit the wall soon, so that is a plus in that regard...

Posted by: -CN- | June 22, 2009 1:23 PM

From Newsday (via HoopsHype): Wizards inquiring about Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries.

Please, no more Jared Jeffries.

Posted by: CDon | June 22, 2009 1:24 PM

The reality is the Wiz need to trade this pick and upgrade in terms of talent. If that means moving Butler or Jamison to upgrade -- so be it. Outside of the Big 3 and Haywood -- the rest of the team is a joke. Seriously there is not one guy on our bench who could contend for a legit 6 or 7th man spot on another legit team. You think Nick Young, Blatche, Pesh, Dom, The Poet, Songaila, Blackbeard get any serious PT on the Magic, Celtics, Cavs, Rockets, Denver, Lakers, Utah, Charlotte, Dallas, Hawks, Spurs? You have to be real about the talent we have. Did you see what Courtney Lee did for the Magic this year and in playoffs --does anyone think that any of our young guys comes close to him....? It's time to shake things up now -- not a year or two from now when it's too late.

Posted by: fsamman1 | June 22, 2009 1:26 PM

Give me a bloody break; Yeah, this 5 foot tall kid is the answer to the Wizards problems; just trade the d@mned pick and stop wasting everyone's time, Ernie. There is no drama here; short of putting Michael Jordan in a time machine (and somehow getting him with the 5th pick) there is NO HOPE for the Wizards. The Bulletts are back and they suck worse than ever. Just wait until Caron Butler skips outta here in a year or two when his contract is up; You'll be able to get Wizards tickets with a fill-up at the gas station, just like in the old days.

Posted by: guisher | June 22, 2009 1:29 PM

"So, by your reasoning, even if I had said he was going to be a bust (and I didn't)"

So what was your intention in putting Reddick, Morrison and McNamara's name in your post? Hmmmm.

Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 1:32 PM

"So what was your intention in putting Reddick, Morrison and McNamara's name in your post?"

Simple. (And, I would think to most people of moderate intelligence, obvious). To show the often wide gap between what people say about a player coming out of college and what turns out to be true about them when they enter the NBA.

So, really, what did you accomplish by asking me that other than giving me another opportunity to demonstrate the validity of my point while failing to do anything to bolster the validity of your own?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 1:35 PM

Engk, wrong! - John McClain

By putting their names you're implying that he'll be a bust before he can play a single second in the NBA. Keep on swinging my man.

By the way, who did you pick in the poll? Just curious.

Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 1:49 PM

Do Not Draft Curry:

1) Undersized guards who rely on great shooting and are unable to finish at the basket rarely excel in the NBA. Stephen Curry = Trajan Langdon = JJ Reddick = Adam Morrison = Juan Dixon = NBA BUST

2) An Agent Zero/Steph Curry backcourt would be an invitation for opposing guards to score at will. The backcourt would be way too small. I will admit, the outside shooting would be spectacular. But, if Curry thinks he will be able to create his own shot, he has another thing coming to him. The NBA 2s are so long and athletic he won't be able to get a shot off. The NBA isn't the Southern Conference.

3) Athletic deficiencies get exposed on the NBA level more so than at the collegiate level. Curry leaves a lot to be desired in this area when you take into consideration that he is rail thin and lacks prototypical size.

4) If the Wizards do not move the pick, I would recommend drafting players in this order (not taking into account B. Griffin who will clearly be off the board): (1)Thabeet, (2) Harden, (3) Rubio, (4) Evans, (5) Hill, (6) DeRozan.

Posted by: Beasty119 | June 22, 2009 1:59 PM

If the Wiz draft him, he will be a bust for sure.

EG do the right thing and trade the pick with some bodies. It really is the best thing you could do for this franchise since you gave Gill all of that stupid cash.

Anything else is just moronic.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 22, 2009 2:01 PM

Rondo is one of the best defensive PGs in the league

Yep. And what makes him successful defensively is his quickness and long arms. If we took a look at his height and weight strictly, he'd probably have been written off. BTW, Rondo was listed at 6'1" 175 coming out of college (6'1" 171 on his NBA.com page).

Folks continue to talk about Tyreke Evans as though he's a physical marvel because of the quickness and long reach.
What's really surprising to me is that if you look at the combine stats, Harden was quicker, faster, stronger and a pound heavier. His arms were only a half an inch shorter and his vertical was much better than Evans'.

We HAVE to take Harden if he's available. If not, pick a potential impact player (Curry).

Posted by: original_mark | June 22, 2009 2:03 PM

Kalo_bitter -- Come on, your ranting is just silly now. You clearly implied that Curry would be a bust when you compared him to Reddick and Morrison. The Dave guy was simply saying that by your logic we should also have written off Larry Bird. There was nothing gratuitous about about his comment. (There was, however, something gratuitous about you using the word gratuitous when it wasn't appropriate simply to show that you can use big words.) Your arguments don't hold together and you're simply arguing to argue. Everyone read your Reddick/Morrison comparison as implying that Curry will be a bust; if that wasn't your intention, then write better. Also, you got all on my case when I said that there was a possibility (ie, it's not impossible) that Rubio might slip. Now, Michael Lee and ESPN are also saying it. But it's not a big deal; I forgive you. Just pointing out that maybe your divine inspiration as to what is the Law in the World of Basketball might not always be accurate. Again, these are opinions and conjectures - not Kalo_angry's Law. I know this means you're going to rant about how stupid I am and how I touch myself, but that doesn't hide the fact that sometimes maybe you don't know quite as much as you think you do.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 22, 2009 2:05 PM

The right thing to do is obvious- trade down and take a proven banger who can help out now like Blair or Hansborough, or a young talent who slips (there will be lot's of them, cause they can't all go in top 5- Evans or Holiday, or DeRozen, or Flynn, or Jennings- wow the list keeps going), and will at least be valuable as trade bait based on "potential" for the next few years, even if he doesn't contribute. The problems are 1) EJ still has to sell this deal to the rest of the NBA- which means "considering" everyone up until Thursday night, and 2) You may get your bluff called and end up having to pick. If the latter happens, the obvious choice is Rubio (if he drops, he's got immediate trade value), or Curry (immediate help in an area we need- 3 point shooting). We don't need to take a chance at 5 on "potential", cause more often than not, you end up paying a lot and getting little more than a role player in return (last 5 number 5s- Kevin Love, Jeff Green, Sheldon Williams, Raymond Felton, Devin Harris- some decent, some horrible, none great). Nothings going to happen until the draft though (too much volatility in this draft with Rubio posturing, and everyone else being a crapshoot), so keep your britches on and wait till Thursday...

Posted by: jmadams | June 22, 2009 2:14 PM

Dixon was considered an excellent defender in college, but his lack of an NBA body has made him a bench player at this level. I just don't see Curry being able to go body-to-body w/ the Jason Kidd's, Billups, Pauls, Williams, etc. etc. and to run w/ the Parkers and Rondos

Posted by: randysbailin | June 22, 2009 2:16 PM

...I think Garnett's presence has a lot to do with Rondo's defensive ability, as well. It's easy to gamble and press when you have a defensive MVP back there.

Soooo.... as long as we get some interior defenders, the pg's defensive ability is overrated. No one stops anyone at this position. Players are just too quick these days. The days of the Glove and Mo Cheeks are over, I think. ..particularly since the hand checking rules changed.

Posted by: original_mark | June 22, 2009 2:22 PM

It's probably accurate to say that Curry will be a "sure thing", if by sure thing you mean a great 3-pt shooting specialist. Every great NBA team should have a role player who comes off the bench to hit 3s. And, that is what I project Curry will do in the NBA.

Unfortunately, the Wizards don't have a team that can compete for a championship, and therefore, I'd rather draft someone who may contribute as a starter, and who may even blossom into a star, rather than draft a "sure-thing".

Posted by: Beasty119 | June 22, 2009 2:26 PM

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | June 22, 2009 12:32 PM
minus the scoring,assists and leadership other than that though they're the same palyer

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 22, 2009 2:27 PM

Posted by: original_mark | June 22, 2009 2:22 PM

Rondo's defensive ability or rep for having defensive skills comes from him actually being able to play man on man defense. He was a defensive stopper at UK and refined his skills in the NBA with KG and the gang, but he's always had abnormally large hands, long arms and quick feet.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 22, 2009 2:33 PM

Draft express profile of Rondo 2005
Then:
“ Defensively is where Rondo really made a name for himself as a high school player and initially in college. He has excellent lateral quickness and superbly quick and incredibly big hands. These two things together combined with his length make him a terror getting in the passing lanes, and Rondo indeed has league leading potential in this area if playing for a coach that doesn’t mind him gambling for steals on occasion. He’s extremely smart and confident in his defensive ability, and has the potential to develop into a smothering perimeter defender thanks to all of his outstanding physical attributes and the skills he already shows here. He’s not afraid to step in the lane and take a charge if the situation calls for it. Due to these same physical attributes (length, superb quickness and leaping ability, outstanding hands) Rondo is also a terrific rebounder who indeed led his team in this area from the point guard position. His toughness helps him out greatly in this area, and his Kentucky team would likely have been in very bad shape without his 6+ rebounds in 31 minutes per game. He managed to pull down 19 rebounds in 33 minutes in one extremely impressive performance against Iowa early on in the year.”
-Rajon Rondo NBA Draft Scouting Report: Strengths – 4/17/2005

“Small, skinny player with great length and lateral quickness. Closes out extremely fast on shooters and does a terrific job contesting shots. Tough-minded, aggressive defender who is very effective on this end of the ball. Does an outstanding job getting in the passing lanes, freakish wingspan allows him to wrap his arm around and poke balls loose even after getting beat. Excellent defensive rebounder for his position as well. Size and lack of bulk makes him susceptible to being posted up, but does a nice job fighting back. A big part of why Boston is such a strong defensive team.”
-NBA Scouting Reports, Atlantic Division (Part One) -11/30/2008

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 22, 2009 2:37 PM

"Good article in the Washington Times. Hopefully, it is accurate.Posted by: Izman'

I think you're OK as long as you stay away from the Politics section.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 22, 2009 2:52 PM

"By putting their names you're implying that he'll be a bust before he can play a single second in the NBA. "

And, again, if that's true (and, of course it's not true, it's just some self-justifying nonsense you came up with to avoid having to defend your indefensible position on the issue), then by comparing him to Bird you're saying he'll be one of the greatest players to ever play the game and a first ballot HoFer.

So, you want to wager on which "prediction" turns out closer to the truth?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 3:25 PM

Looks like Urnesto is still typing with one hand.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 3:26 PM

"Yep. And what makes him successful defensively is his quickness and long arms."

That's part of it. The other part is that he plays bigger and stronger than his size. He's tough and plays with lots of physical aggression on defense. He's not afraid to throw his body around and absorb contact. He's also one of the best rebounding PGs in the NBA, often out-fighting/hustling bigger guys under the boards.

Any of that sound like Curry to you?

Rondo came into the NBA with both defensive ability and a tough defensive mindset that counted more than his size. Curry has shown neither. And without that, he’s unlikely to develop into any kind of defensive player capable of overcoming his physical shortcomings at this late date. In other words, small guys who play tough defense start developing that mindset early (in part to compensate for their size), well before they get to major college level, and certainly well before they get to the NBA. By the time they get that far, it’s usually way too late for them to start to convincingly act like tough guys.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 3:35 PM

"And, again, if that's true (and, of course it's not true"

I see you're still denying it huh.

"then by comparing him to Bird you're saying he'll be one of the greatest players to ever play the game and a first ballot HoFer."

Boy, it gets funnier everytime you post. Where the heck did you come up with that conclusion. And by the way, I guess it will only be you who is trying to compare them both. You're not only clever but a funny young lad.

So who did you pick in the poll? Can't answer.....I'm not surprise. Man like you don't have the balls.

Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 4:00 PM

I voted for Curry with Evans a close second.

Posted by: Vicc | June 22, 2009 4:03 PM

"I see you're still denying it huh."

Well, that might have something to do with the fact that it's still a load of crap. Funny how that works.

"Where the heck did you come up with that conclusion."

The same place you came up with the conclusion that I was calling Curry a bust by mentioning him alongside Reddick, et al. So, basically, I guess I pulled it out of your ass.

If my comparing him to Reddick means I think he's a bust then your comparing him to Bird means you think he's going to be a star. It's easy parallel logic. And, oddly enough, I noticed you haven't done anything to actually refute the validity of point. But then, you really can't, can you?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 22, 2009 4:15 PM

Kalo_blowhard: You're still not naming who you picked; you're still not addressing your "Fact" that there is no way Rubio falls, you're still not making an ounce of sense on the Curry-Redick thing, and you're still nuts on the Joe Johnson/Butler thing (in terms of attitude, talent, and contract). Just in case you're keeping score... But keep on going and lashing out at everyone. It's funny to see you get all worked up

Posted by: Urnesto | June 22, 2009 4:21 PM

EG will pick the best avaliable player,unless he has a predraft agrement.
His #1 pick will be Harden
#2 will be cury
3/evans
4/hill
If they want keep the pick i would be very happy to pick the player they need more.They will get 6 point and 6 rebounds in less than 20 minutes from hill.
they will be better in the back in both defense and scoring if they pick harden.He is the only player next to blake in this draft that could get minutes in any rotation.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 22, 2009 6:29 PM

There is no comparison between Dixon and Curry. Curry been around the pro game his whole life and can get his shoot from anywhere on the court. He can also dribble which is why Dixon has romed the league. His ball handling is pretty bad for someone that has played ball as long as he has. Blake was the ball handler. Curry will be a very good scorer in the NBA.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 22, 2009 9:37 PM

I am posting from Syracuse where I saw every game Jonny Flynn played. He is truly remarkable and very, very special. Every team must pick to suit their style, but Flynn is a great player who will help help any NBA team. Curry or Flynn would be a great addition at point, just don't pick another Kenny Green at forward.

Posted by: Courtney44 | June 22, 2009 11:28 PM

"There is no comparison between Dixon and Curry. Curry been around the pro game his whole life and can get his shoot from anywhere on the court. He can also dribble which is why Dixon has romed the league. His ball handling is pretty bad for someone that has played ball as long as he has."

I think you could justify a comparison of the two. Both have been superb college players with some questions about how well their game will translate to the pros. Dixon came into the league in a year where the draft was believed to be fairly strong because of the presence of Yao Ming and Jay Williams. Dixon was drafted a bit higher than he should have been. Curry is coming into what is widely regarded as a very weak draft and will also probably go higher than in other years.

Whether Curry will work out as his fans hope remains to be seen. He's a very skilled player but far from a sure thing.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 23, 2009 9:40 AM

"He was a defensive stopper at UK and refined his skills in the NBA with KG and the gang, but he's always had abnormally large hands, long arms and quick feet.
Posted by: lilhollywood10"

Yes, he was underrated coming into the league based on one thing: a faulty 3 point shot. He still isn't that good with it, but in Boston's offense he's not called on to take that many. The offense in fact plays directly to his strength, which is the ability to go to the basket.

It's always good to see a player exceed peoples' expectations.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 23, 2009 9:45 AM

"If my comparing him to Reddick means I think he's a bust then your comparing him to Bird means you think he's going to be a star."

Oh, is this what you're referring to?
- Now before you go gaga, I'm not suggesting Curry will be going to Springfield when he's playing days are over
Posted by: Dave381 | June 22, 2009 12:48 PM