Kobe's Moment

Thank you, thank you. I'll glady take that from you, Mr. Russell. (Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

Are you feeling Kobe Bryant? Are you happy for him? When I saw Bryant pumping his first and scissor-kicking after the Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA championship on Sunday, I wondered if non-Laker fans/non-devoted Kobe lovers shared in his joy.

Were you smiling with him?

Remember Kevin Garnett's "Anything is possibaaaaallll!!!!!!" moment last season? How he kissed the court and cried after leading the Boston Celtics to the title? You couldn't help but somewhat relate to the raw emotions emitted from the guy, given the misery and mediocrity he endured in Minnesota.

But what was the reaction to Bryant's giddy, unbridled emotion after he finally became the singular leader of a championship team? Were most people really hoping that Bryant would a win a title without Shaquille O'Neal? Didn't he kind of come out on the wrong end of that whole O'Neal-Bryant divorce?

Throughout his career in the NBA, Bryant has rarely, if ever, been viewed as a sympathetic figure. He has never exposed his vulnerabilities, never opened up much about his shortcomings, and often came off as aloof and arrogant to most outsiders. It's silly to ask now, but has he ever really backed off his trade demand from two years ago?

Most recognized Bryant as a great basketball player, arguably the best in the game. He's had a singular focus to be the best in the game, not just now, but all-time. Great players never get caught up in what others think. That has rubbed some wrong, especially because he but he never seemed eager to make people like him, possibly because he realized that he was always going to be a polarizing figure (especially after that sexual assault case in Colorado).

Over time he has embraced this sinister, Black Mamba persona. He was the guy who heard boos and spent the entire game wanting to turn them into cheers by the end of the night. The act never came off as genuine -- the nice kid who grew up in Italy and attended Lower Merion High School in suburban Philadelphia is suddenly a ruthless, elbow-throwing villain?

You cannot deny that Bryant was sincerely happy to win his fourth championship. The scene of him nervously chewing his nails and waiting for the game to finally end was probably one of the most authentic Kobe moments that I can recall since he was that kid with the Afro wearing the No. 8. Then, seeing him share in that moment with his two young daughters truly brought out a real, pure side that Bryant has often been unwilling to disclose.

How ya like me now? (Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

Maybe we've expected more of Bryant because his game his so dynamic. That horribly boring Spike Lee movie, "Kobe Doing Work," may have revealed that there isn't much more there than an incredibly focused, obsessed and driven basketball junkie.

In recent years, this season especially, I've often felt that Bryant has never had the opportunity to truly be appreciated for his basketball gifts. Bryant has never had his own spotlight.

When he entered the league, Bryant patterned his game around Michael Jordan and was thrown into that group of Next MJs with Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse and several others that I can't think of right now. Every time Bryant accomplished something, the next sentence was always, "But Michael Jordan would've done blah, blah." Bryant could never shake free of Jordan's shadow. Probably never will fully.

Then, Bryant had to deal with being under O'Neal's shadow after O'Neal was traded to Los Angeles. He had to repeatedly hear about how he couldn't win without his former teammate; that his success in winning three championships was diminished because he wasn't the focal point of a title team. Never mind that Bryant often bailed out O'Neal in playoff series and then got out of the way during the NBA Finals, letting O'Neal obliterate everything in his path to get a ring.

And, after Byant had his historic 81-point game to establish his own identity outside of Jordan and later matched O'Neal in league MVP trophies, he had to deal with debates over who is the league's best player with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Now, Bryant has never had a peer in his age group, and James and Wade haven't combined to win half as many NBA championships as Bryant. So how is that fair?

What I'm trying to say is that Bryant has never had his moment to be appreciated for who is. He got it last night. The NBA Finals were all about Bryant and he delivered, taking the Lakers to a 15th championship. He stood alone. Away from Jordan, O'Neal, LeBron, etc. Kobe's moment.

But are you really feeling him? And does it even matter?

By Michael Lee |  June 15, 2009; 11:02 AM ET
Previous: And So It Ends ... | Next: Pointguardpalooza

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Mike, what you omitted of course is the sordid rape accusations and trial from several years ago and the destruction -- and subsequent rebuilding -- of Kobe's image.

I think the criticisms that Kobe is contrived and fake are just as much so themselves. Is he any less so than Garnett -- whose "anything is possible" exclamation was likely just a bastardization of his main sponsor's "impossible is nothing" slogan? Is he anymore "real" than Lebron James or Michael Jordan for that matter?

You don't have to like Kobe, but you have to acknowledge his greatness. And at the end of the day, the great ones (and most pro athletes) play to win and not to be liked.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | June 15, 2009 11:17 AM

I'm happier for Kobe than for Garnett. Garnett forced his way out of Minnesota and came to a stacked team to win. It's common knowledge that they are both trash talkers on the court but KG's seems more personal based on some stuff I've read.

While Kobe wanted to be the star of the team, at least he stuck it out and waited for the team to bring in the right players rather than bolting for a ready made championship.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 11:26 AM

I thought the Lakers Championship win was very "anti-climatic" - just did not seem very exciting.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 15, 2009 11:29 AM

I didn't find these finals very exciting. You knew what was going to happen. When DFish hit that three ball to tie the game in game 4, you knew exactly what was going to happen. LA was going to win. I knew that LA was going to win from the beginning. I am not an LA fan at all. I was rooting for the Magic to win...

as for Kobe winning, i wasnt feeling it, i didnt even watch game 5. i think the best player in the NBA deserves winning it all.. i'll give him that.. but i just didnt care.. didnt feel for it.. when KG finally won his, i felt for him.. His story is a bit different.. sure, he forced his way out of Min.. i would have too.. they suck!!

But being in the league as long as he has, been denied time after time in the playoffs, when he got the championship last year, you could tell that he was greatful for finally winning.. Kobe had 3 prior to yesterdays game.. so seeing him win his third, i thought,

"Who cares............"

Posted by: WizSkinsFan | June 15, 2009 11:36 AM

I'm more happy for Kobe than I would've been for Lebron. And is it me or did nike run every damn lebron puppet commercial they had in there arsenal last night.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 15, 2009 11:56 AM

Better him that that whiny little b**ch Lebron.

Although I'm still not a big fan of a rapist being named MVP.

Posted by: lillianlil | June 15, 2009 12:23 PM

I'm happy for Kobe Bryant.

It isn't his fault that he was compared to Jordan, and to think that he wants to be like Michael is foolish -- I don't care what or who he looks like jumping in the air.

I just people would stop giving fasle reason for not liking the guy. There are people in this world you don't like for any reason. It's okay, it's in the human nature as messed up as it is.

Just say: "I don't like Kobe. I don't know why, but I don't."

It's so much easier to flat out admit sh*t instead of trying to weed wack the field.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Kobe deserves it.
I don't like him.
BUT---he's the best in the NBA.
I was glad to see the Cavs lose but it wudda been fun seeing how Labron wudda handled it.
The Magic couldn't make their jump shots because LA played very good D on their perimeter and they had Pau, Lamar & Bynum to take care of Howard.
The Magic lived by the Jump shot and died by it.
I hope the Wizzies watch & rewatch this series. Maybe some of them will get the message that you gotta play every play 100%, offensively & defensively to get deep in the playoffs.

Posted by: VBFan | June 15, 2009 12:37 PM

Although I'm still not a big fan of a rapist being named MVP.

Posted by: lillianlil | June 15, 2009 12:23 PM

Riight... the chick had five different "loads" in her innocent and pristine little panties. The chick was a known sl*t where she was from, but for some reason she gets the benefit of the doubt.

Why?

Becasue she was a teenaged white woman who hollered that a successful black man raped her. That'll make the whole world take notice everytime... So she thought she could either a) become Kobe's side chick or b) thought that he would pay her to keep her mouth shut. When neither didn't happen, she hollered "Rape!".

The "lady" bragged to her friends that she slept with Kobe Bryant. If a woman is violated in that way, would she brag to her friends?

I think not.

That "Kobe is a rapist" crap is just old and tired now. Give another reason why you don't like him.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 15, 2009 12:44 PM

Kobe deserves it.
I don't like him.
BUT---he's the best in the NBA.

Posted by: VBFan

That there is a logical perspective.

No bs reason for not liking the dude. Flat out said: "I don't like him.", but stated facts and gave credit where it's due.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 15, 2009 12:48 PM

I'm not a Kobe fan nor a Kobe hater but I am happy for him. It's not easy winning a championship so he deserves all of the credit in the world as well as his teammates.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | June 15, 2009 12:48 PM

Kobe is just another guy trying to live his dream. Am I happy for him, yeah I am. Far be it from me to judge another on his past (rape charges) and far be it from me not to admit that when 2 adults are involved, the story is usually deeper than what is told.

I feel good for all the athletes acheiving accomplishments because they do it on a stage with all eyes on them. As we trudge through our lives we don't have that exposure, yet we are quick to judge whether someone deserves it. I feel Kobe's joy, just like I felt Garnett's joy. No one lives thier lives emmulating anyone else. It is impossible. They can take bits of others greatness maybe. Kobe is genuine to himself. That is all he has to be. Everyone buys the tickets and turns on the tube and hates on him as he goes to work and gets money to feed his children...and I am sure he appreciates all the hate.

Posted by: marclou | June 15, 2009 12:50 PM

I was happy to see Kobe disprove that he couldn't win a Championship with Shaq, but people seem to downplay that DFish made the two biggest shots of the series in Game 4. If he misses either of those 3-pointers, the Magic win Game 4 and have a lot of momentum going into Game 5. We'd probably be talking about how Kobe choked down the stretch instead of his being the heir apparent to Jordan's throne.

Also, let's not forget the Kupchak surrounded him with Gasol (a top bigman), Odom (versatile PF), and a shut down defender in Ariza so Kobe didn't have to always guard the other team's best offensive player. NOT to take anything away from Kobe, but he wouldn't be a champion without the support from his teammates....let's see how the Lakers fare next year if they lose either Odom or Ariza to free agency.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 15, 2009 12:51 PM

He said 'loads'

That is REALLY funny to me, RedDMV. ROFLOL

Gotta agree that she was no angel.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 12:56 PM

Ok. Now I'm gonna set myself up to get lambasted but here goes...

Kobe - Gil
Fisher - Caron
Ariza - McGuire
Pau - Jamison
Bynum - BTH

Odom - Blatche/JM
Farmar - Crittenden/Harden

Is there really THAT much of a disparity in overall talent? In terms of production ?
Assuming we have a healthy Gil, the difference between Kobe and the last healthy Gil we saw isn't that great.

Is this better?

Jameer - Gil
Pietrus - Caron
Rashard - Jamison
Dwight H - BTH/JM
Turkoglu - Mcguire

our bench vs. their bench

Again, we're not that far off in terms of total talent. Plus, we have the secret weapon, Pech.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 1:06 PM

Read the Kobe police report and decide for yourself: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004041accusera1.html

As to the MJ comparison -- why would Kobe not pattern his game after MJ? Jordan was the greatest player Kobe -- and most of us -- ever saw. If he had MJ's physical gifts, he'd be stupid not to apply them in the same way MJ did.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | June 15, 2009 1:08 PM

Plus, we have the secret weapon, Pech.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 1:06 PM

I nominate this as comment of the day.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 15, 2009 1:19 PM

..and now that his name has been mentioned, let's throw Pech in the mix for guys who may yet be assets to this team.
Maybe Flip can find some use for a 7 footer with 3 point and rebounding skills.

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 2:14 PM

"NOT to take anything away from Kobe, but he wouldn't be a champion without the support from his teammates...." - wizfan89

That goes for any and every champion who was the focal point on their respected team.

People really, really, REALLY underestimate Scottie Pippen. I know that he was voted as one of the 50 GOAT, but I don't think b-ball fans really appreciate him and understand how much he meant to Jordan.

No Pippen, no Jordan sobbing while clutching the trophy, no Jordan celebrating on the scorers table, or Jordan uncontrollably crying in '96.

Sometimes you need a fellow great player with you to win it all, like most championship teams. Sometimes you need the assembly of the perfect pieces, making it a total team effort to win it all. Like the '04 Pistons.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 15, 2009 2:28 PM

RedDMV, you're spot on. To quote the adidas tag from a few years ago "it takes five." The American insistence on celebration of the individual is so odd when it comes to team sports. I've never really gotten the point of awarding MVP awards in team sports when team success is the goal. Golf and Tennis? Sure. But I'm much more interested in how a team functions as a unit than I am with how great one player may be.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | June 15, 2009 2:41 PM

Posted by: original_mark | June 15, 2009 1:06 PM

I agree Mark. I think we match up with the Lakers very well in terms of starters and 6th man. but they are much deeper-- their worst player is Adam Morrison... nonetheless, we almost always give them a game, even this past season @ the VC when it came to down to the last second and caron missed that shot.

Posted by: prescrunk | June 15, 2009 2:42 PM

Posted by: RedDMV | June 15, 2009 12:44 PM

i totally agree on that. I have been the biggest kobe fan since he entered the league. i even grew a fro when he had his fro, and i bought his adidas shoes, and i wore #8 in high school. but I was happy for him. I am always torn when they play the wizards because ima big fan of the mamba! but the way he is treated by others that dont like him because he cheated on his wife...what mean hasnt cheated in this world...even the former president cheated on his wife. so im not buying the cheating/rape ishh..its played out and people need to find another reason to hate him.
with that being said..Congrats Kobe your awesome..and those that hate you just remember.....you make more money than them, live a better life, accomplished more than they ever will.

and to LisaR for saying the way he jumped up in the air is pure jordan....get a grip please...

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 15, 2009 2:45 PM

Flip will get Pesh looking like Dirk or Gasol. Keep in mind, Taps was the "coach" and he barely played.

Posted by: Gooddad | June 15, 2009 3:07 PM

Man, I'm reading all this stuff like we're gonna trade for the final piece, Gilbert is gonna go work out with Grove and be healthy, everyone is all serious and ready to commit to defense, we have this new coach... and I'm excited. And I have hope.

And then I come here and read "don't worry guys, next season is gonna be sweet, Pecherov is going to be like Dirk," and I just think: darn. The Washington Effing Wizards.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | June 15, 2009 3:18 PM

I am so happy for Kobe and the Lakers Team..Kobe and his team deserved it, getting to the championship is not a easy job. I am a die hard Laker and Kobe Fan, I love Kobe, I would love to met him..Kobe has so many haters for no reason, how can you not like someone that you've never met or that has never done nothing to you.Alot of people dont like him because they say he tries to be Jordan. Jordan is Jordan, Kobe is Kobe, they have their own game. People need to give Kobe his respect, and stop holding over his head the Denver incident, because no ones constantly talking about Jordan and his gambling. I am and will always be a Kobe and Lakers fan!!!!!!!

Posted by: finelocs08 | June 15, 2009 3:45 PM

TO: Lisa_R

Obviously you have never won anything significant in your life... obviously you have never achieved something that no one thought you would have... obviously you have never felt what Kobe was feeling last night.

No one said that Tiger Woods imitates Jordan when he does a fist pump after a tough putt. Just like Jordan did many times in his career after a clutch play.

No one said that Paul Pierce looked like Jordan when he hugged the championship trophy in elation... the same way past champions hugged it.

All that said.. forget how a guy jumps in celebration and take your mind out of Jordan's Butt hole and give Kobe his due.

He was excellent the entire playoffs, the entire season for that matter. He was a passer, a defender and he coached the team during timeouts. (Oh wait... Jordan did that as well... OH NO KOBE MUST BE LIKE JORDAN ACCORDING TO YOU!)

Get a life and go accomplish something for yourself that is against the odds and then run jump as high as you can and do a fist pump and tell me it doesn't feel good...

Yeah I thought so... it will feel GREAT!

Congrats to the LAKERS... Kobe didn't do it by himself. The Lakers deserve that championship.

Well done.

(I am not even a Lakers fan!!! LOL)

Posted by: Amonra77 | June 15, 2009 3:50 PM

Gee....why is everyone jumping on me because I said Kobe's air jump was like Jordans? I did NOT say that was a BAD thing or that I disliked him. His jump WAS like Jordan's - even Screamin' Steven A. Smith said so.

You all need to get a grip!

I think Kobe is a very talented player - the best in the NBA. No need to jump all over me.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 15, 2009 4:27 PM

I'm happy for the guy, but the current argument surrounding how good he is [see http://www.newsy.com/videos/entitled for a fairly good recap] is pretty ridiculous. Why does it matter who he is or is not better than? He's a great player, end of story. He'll never be the greatest [ check out his stats compared to MJ [http://www.faniq.com/blog/Kobe-Bryant-Michael-Jordan-Career-Comparison-Blog-25624] so if you're a Laker fan enjoy the ride and look forward to next year, as there is no way they are not re-signing him.

Posted by: Hyperion2 | June 15, 2009 4:51 PM

I am a Bullets fan so I don't really care who wins if it's not the Bullets.

Gil were you watching the championships games and have you learned anything?

I doubt it!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 15, 2009 5:07 PM

Kobe possesses every intangible that a great basketball player needs at this point in his career and for this reason he is still the best player in the game, the playoffs showed this and for that I am happy. the playoffs didn't quite pan as I had hoped (nuggets over magic) but it was a great display of basketball at it's highest level. I've grown a bit on kobe over the last four years but I still do not like the man just his game.

Posted by: bford1kb | June 15, 2009 7:04 PM

I wasn't rooting for Kobe, but you cannot take anything away from this championship for him. They won it fair and square on the floor and yea! It is special for all the reported reasons, Shaq, his infidelity, The King/Annoited One, and all the things he had to go through to prove that he could win it again, AND! he is not done.

"I am a Bullets fan so I don't really care who wins if it's not the Bullets.
Gil were you watching the championships games and have you learned anything?
I doubt it!
Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 15, 2009 5:07 PM "

BulletsFan78, Cut the crap, Gilbert feeds off stuff that Kobe just accomplished. Ya' think he landed that big butt contract because he did not know how to play with the Big Dogs.

I don't think so BulletsFan78. And I don't know iffin' you remember, but you gonna owe me some brews bigtime.

Gilbert Arenas is the real deal. Come on 78. Give it up.

And REDDMV. Great Comments!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 15, 2009 7:41 PM

And Yeah! I went back and reread Lisa_R comment and yawl did overrespond.

And ta' top it off, Kobe has been copying Michael for so long, so his genuine reactions is not phony if it appeared to mimic Jordan.

Thats not a bad thing. Just think, if you could pattern yourself after Oprah, you might end up being a Billionare.

Kobe patterning and mimicking himself after Air Jordan is a good thing. He accomplished it. Ya' Heard me. Stop Hatin.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 15, 2009 7:51 PM

I'm not an avid Kobe fan or anything, but he is very gifted and deserves to win another championship. I really enjoyed watching the ESPN Spike Lee special on him (forgot the name of it). It really made me appreciate his talents even more.
I was also glad to see Garnett get the championship last year.

Posted by: washwiz | June 15, 2009 8:20 PM

Spike Lee's documentary on Kobe - For "Kobe Doin' Work," Lee used 30 cameras to capture Bryant's every move in a game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs ...(really made me appreciate his talent)

Posted by: washwiz | June 15, 2009 8:24 PM

"While Kobe appears to deny that he wants to be Jordan, his leap(s) in the air after the win were "pure Jordan" - and you can't tell me he was not aware of that.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 15, 2009 11:29 AM "

LMAO!

And Gilby readily admits that he idolizes Kobe; only thing is Gilby won't be mimicking that leap anytime soon, nevermind the gimpy knee.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 15, 2009 9:30 PM

I'll be glad when everybody gets off of Kobe's jock...and STAYS of it.

Rapist? I think not; shawty was a skeezer in every sense of the word?

Arrogant? Maybe, but hell, we don't have a fit when Roy Jones states his case nor Serena, nor Ray Lewis.

Team Leader? Unquestionably?

Best of his generation? Think he ain't?!

If I'm Kobe, I give a real rat's A** WHO dislikes me or my game.

Give the man props; he's a proven winner, an elite athlete, and a true MVP.

Posted by: ntlekt | June 16, 2009 1:10 AM

Gilbert Arenas is the real deal. Come on 78. Give it up.

And REDDMV. Great Comments!

LarryInClintonMD.

Larry I will be more than happy to buy you some brews when Gil gives this city a championship ring. Hopefully nobody whispers in his ear during the next playoff?

If they don't get a ring next year does that mean you owe me some brews or are we all supposed to give Gil a free ride til the day he either gets traded or retires from his knee injury?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 7:24 AM

Larry,

I think Gil landed that big contract because Abe saw that people would come to the games and it didn't matter if they win a championship or not. Considering how bad this team has been over the last 30 years, making the playoffs is a big deal to this team. Sorry, but I believe in life you strive to be the best and never settle for second place.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 7:28 AM

This whole he can't win without Shaq is crazy because this team is MORE talented than the team with Shaq. He now has 2 7 footers and 6'10'' SF with ridiculous skill (still no heart) with an improved Ariza? That's crazy.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | June 16, 2009 8:08 AM

Lisa_R Changes her tune as much as a old piano.

You know what you meant or you would not have typed it.

But if you like making excuses patent them and sell them.

Stick to your guns if you think Kobe is a copy cat...

Just be careful where you point that gun!

Posted by: Amonra77 | June 16, 2009 9:22 AM

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 15, 2009 4:27 PM

awww poor lissy poo..

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 16, 2009 11:22 AM

Most people dont like kobe for the same reason they dont like most athletes. They are richer than we are and famous as we would ever wish to be and we are just regular people who wish to be like them and we really dont like it when they do something wrong and dont get brought to their knees for it. For example some of you calling him a rapist after charges were dropped. I always blame O.J Simpson myself. If they would have just convicted him in 95 we would not have soo much hate for athletes when they have shortcommings just like we do.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 16, 2009 2:26 PM

"Lisa_R Changes her tune as much as a old piano.

You know what you meant or you would not have typed it.

But if you like making excuses patent them and sell them.

Stick to your guns if you think Kobe is a copy cat...

Just be careful where you point that gun!

Posted by: Amonra77 | June 16, 2009 9:22 AM "

Finally, somebody with some sense.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2009 9:18 PM

"Did someone say they don't like Garnett because he forced his way out of Minnesota? Kobe didn't try everything in his power to get out of L.A.? They just didn't buckle, robbed Memphis for Gasol and the rest is history.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | June 16, 2009 8:08 AM "

Didn't Gilby say he'd take less elsewhere if EG insulted him with a less than max money contract? How about when he said he'd avoid playing Jr. GM, but then openly lobbied for MeShawn, MeTawn, and somebody by the name of Awvee Storey whom he got arrested with down in Souf Beach?

Les BouleS fans have their very own prissy diva with Gilby....don't need to jump on other teams's divas.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2009 9:23 PM

In my unscientific survey of Top Five picks from 1980-2007, I couldn't help noticing that busts at the #2 spot included:
1983: Steve Stipanovich
1984: Sam Bowie (most famous bust)
1993: Shawn Bradley
2003: Darko Milicic

Conclusion: Don't draft a real tall guy at 2. Exceptions: Rik Smiths, LaMarcus Aldridge.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 22, 2009 2:58 PM