Pointguardpalooza

Three of the best point guard prospects in this draft will be in Washington on Tuesday for what should be a pretty impressive workout. Davidson's Stephen Curry, Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and Lottomatica Roma's Brandon Jennings will be competing to either be Gilbert Arenas's apprentice, the guy who will push him to shooting guard, or the guy that the Wizards draft in order to complete some blockbuster trade.

The only way this workout could be better is if the Wizards could've replaced Connecticut's A.J. Price and convinced Ricky Rubio to come. But Rubio isn't working out for anyone, and he isn't coming, but it would've been interesting. More on that later.

Either way, it should be pretty exciting, because Curry, Flynn and Jennings are among the cream of a stellar point guard crop and offer varying skill sets. Curry, the son of former NBA player Del Curry, is probably the best pure shooter in the draft after finishing as the Southern Conference player of the year as a sophomore and junior. Of course, most people locally remember how he single-handedly shot down Georgetown in the NCAA Tournament in 2008. Curry measured at 6-feet-3 at the draft combine and dazzled the Knicks in his workout last week. His father told the Charlotte Observer that the workout with the Wizards would be his final one before the draft. Draftexpress.com recently reported that Curry was the Wizards' top option for the fifth pick.

Flynn measured out at 6-feet at the combine, coming close to the height of Chris Paul, and proved his competitive nature during his incredible performance in that six-overtime thriller against Connecticut (34 points and 11 assists in 67 minutes) in the Big East tournament. He's a little guy with a big heart and he's working hard to develop a consistent jump shot.

Brandon Jennings was the highest-rated point guard in the country when he graduated from high school in 2008, but he bucked college basketball's talent monopoly and spent a year in Europe. The move is still considered controversial and it's debatable whether he hurt or helped himself by playing overseas. I know at least one Eastern Conference executive who believes that it was a good move for Jennings.

Jennings has an incredible flair for the game, loves to sport interesting hairstyles, and he doesn't lack for confidence. The Compton native also went at Rubio the way Dr. Dre once went at Eazy-E in an interview with Sacramento reporters. Jennings said, "I think the dude is all hype."

The video of his comments is even better because Flynn nearly falls out of his chair as Jennings commences to bash the player considered the second-best prospect in the draft. Jennings has since said on his Twitter page that he was wrong for the comments, but he still said he can't wait to play Rubio and I can't wait to see it, to be honest.

I wish they could've settled it in D.C.

By Michael Lee  |  June 15, 2009; 8:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kobe's Moment
Next: Workout Wrapup (UPDATED)

Comments

could the blockbuster deal involve the suns? Flynn and Jamison and others for stoudemire?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 15, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Mike, what about the chad ford report on ESPN suggesting that the Celtics are dangling Ray Allen to move up to 5? I'm not a fan of this deal other than the fact that Allen's salary would come off the books next year.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 15, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Jennings is a talented kid, but could be a bit flighty. We've got enough of that here. No thanks, unless we're drafting for someone else.

God I hope we're drafting for someone else.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 15, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather the Wiz made a trade for one of Milwakee's wing players (Redd/Jefferson) than for Jesus Shuttlesworth (aka R. Allen).

They could trade away the two expiring contracts to save the cheap Bucks some money longterm and agree to swap draft order in the 1st and 2nd rounds. The Wiz could look for a PF and either a wing defender (D.Green in the 2nd) or a quick backup point guard.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 15, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Flynn has some serious hops. I saw that mega overtime game by the 'Cuse. Too bad Devendorf isn't in the draft. I'd take him over Vasquez.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 15, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not feeling the Rubio hype either. Wiz please do not draft this guy. Been there and done that. Draft an long athletic player.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 15, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Wizards don't draft Stephen Curry. The guy is a great shooter, obviously, but he doesn't have the length, strength or athleticism for the NBA right now. And defensively, he was nothing in the Southern Conference. (I teach at a SoCon school.) And we all know that the Wizards don't need another no-defense player on the floor.

Posted by: CDon | June 15, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pikedawg | June 15, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"Some people on here just talk stupid. Why in the hell would you want a player that is the 3rd option an 34 years old and might play 2 or 3 more years. If you can't get someone 29 or down in age pass. R. Allen won't get us pass the 1st round.

Posted by: pikedawg | June 15, 2009 9:45 PM "

Less you forget, you're talking about Les BouleS. It's tradition...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 15, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Jesus... Jennings is a dead ringer for Gilbert (press conference-wise). Hahaha.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | June 15, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I really like Rubio, i will say there is a lot of hype but he is a really good player. Hey Chris Paul said he was the real deal, he is a pretty good source. Jennings cant talk, the dude skipped college and did nothing in Europe, now he says he is better player.

Yeah, if you played one on one, Jennings would win because of his quickness and speed, but on a team, Rubio is the one with the potential to become a great floor general. Also defensively, Rubio has some ubelieveable insticts and uses his long arms to good use, breaking up passes and pick pocketing his man.

Also Jennings, you dont have a good jump shot, so I would not say you can shoot better than him.

Posted by: mikejc80 | June 15, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Jrue Holiday would be a nice fourth, too. None of the guys coming are going to help the Wizards perimeter D, but if drafting one of them means moving Arenas to SG (will never happen) I'm all for it.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 15, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Jennings is a big, big talent, but he played at a lower level than Rubio and didn't perform anywhere near as well.

When you're the little dog, you have to bark louder to be heard over the big dogs.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's something of at least minor interest: Ricky Rubio, who led the Spanish team to a silver in the last Olympics, is 13 months younger than Brandon Jennings and 20 months younger than Jonny Flynn.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

This will be interesting. I guess AJ Price is going to be there, although it isn't clear from the above post. If the Wizards take Jordan Hill, then maybe they will consider Price in the second round if he does well.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 15, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Trust me on this...you will all regret it if the Wizards don't take Stephen Curry. He is going to help win a lot of games for some NBA team. Don't knock him because of his build and his conference. He has performed against everybody that's been put in front of him. He will be the best player available at no. 5. If the Wizard bigs stay healthy and step up big time, we would have an excellent team.

Posted by: EJHooper | June 16, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree @EJHooper.

Curry is a PLAYER, with capital letters. He has the swagger, the pedigree, has rare basketball IQ and is a lights out shooter. Curry is more athletic (and better handles) than his dad, who was a pretty good NBA player. Playing next to Gilbert Arenas would make Curry real dangerous right away and an offensively unstoppable offensive backcourt.

Curry reminds me of Eric Gordon, minus the explosive part, but more of a PG and with a high enough basketball IQ to be a contributor very quickly. I bet he would be better than Nick Young by midseason.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | June 16, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest in the 5 pick. That means any trade will go down to the wire on the 24th/25th.

With a 5 pick, a promising young player (AB or NY) and an expiring contract (MJ or ET), Grunfeld ought to be able to deliver a quality 2 guard like Stuckey or Pietrus.

Posted by: Izman | June 16, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Jennings. Rubio is not all he's cracked up to be. When it's all said and done, he's gonna be more Telfair than Paul.
That said, we don't need any one of these guys because Gil is too short to play SG. Gil is the point, Period. Unless we are drafting for a backup (which is stupid at #5 unless it's a crucial 6th man off the bench), we should look for someone who can step in and contribute something almost immediately.

Of the guys mentioned, Curry is the only one that can offer that. I'm not advocating getting him but of this bunch he's the best fit.

Harden, DeRozan or Hill.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Where's Tyreke Evans? He should have been part of this? I keep hearing about how great he's gonna be?
Also, can we get some Wiz opinions or followups after these workouts, Mike? It's great to hear that guys are coming but I'd like to know how they looked. If the media isn't allowed to watch, I'm sure you at least talk to the team and get opinions.

Also, please remind the Wiz that Kwame Brown killed Tyson Chandler in a one on one. Just because one player is better than another in that setting doesn't mean he's gonna be good against the league. Gotta look at the body of work. I'd hate to get another 'physical specimen' that can't play ball.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

hmmm... let me see if I get this right. He's from Cali. He's egotistical. He calls out people that are better than him. He wears ridiculous hairstyles. I didn't know Deshawn had a twin brother!

Posted by: CBell29 | June 16, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Izman | June 16, 2009 7:00 AM

If Dumars benched AI AND Rip for Stuckey, I don't think he'll trade him. And trading a top 5 pick for Pietrus is way too much a price for him. He's good. He's not that good.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 16, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

The ray allen rumors are beyond dumb. Let me get this straight. Boston trades the number 5 pick two years ago for Allen. Now, Boston is going to trade Allen after two years of wear and tear on an already aging body for the same number 5 pick.

However, Michael can you make up a few fake trade rumors so I can fool myself into thinking Ernie is actually trying to improve this team. Since the Caron trade four years ago, Ernie hasn't made one trade that's had any impact on this team and his draft picks have also done little to take this team to the next level.

Posted by: hireaaron | June 16, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Josh Smith, Josh Smith, Josh Smith

If we could swing it somehow, he would be the answer. He's a good rebounder and shotblocker. He's exactly the type of player who perfectly complements our average rebounding C and our poor perimeter defenders. A guy like him erases a lot of sins instantly improves our defense measurably. A players coach like Flip should be able to handle his personality, too.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

..Of course, who would we trade to get him? I'm sure ATL isnt taking AJ's contract. I's probably not doable.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't that why they traded for Critt last year to be Gilbert Arenas's apprentice? Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Good point, but I imagine they traded for him because they needed another PG on the roster and they'd wanted to draft him two seasons ago when he was in college. Nothing we saw in limited play last year suggests he can't do the job.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 16, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"The only question then would be whether we wanted to commit to CB at the 2 and move AJ to the 3. With Smith back there, it might work.Posted by: original_mark"

You think CB will ever be a really effective shooting guard? I used to think so but now I'm waffling -- he looked better at wing forward, his original position with the Lakers. I thought he did better defensively at forward, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 16, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

agree completely - CB was a disaster at guard. he's not quick enough, and made many poor decisions, often attempting to drive thru two or three guys. leave him at F where he can be effective.

Posted by: stevie2 | June 16, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Actually, no I don't think CB can man the 2 nearly as effectively as he can man the 3 spot. I agree with you both. He looked uncomfortable and turned the ball over too much when he was at the 2. He also didn't shoot the 3 ball enough and we need that 3 point threat from that position.
I'm just trying to find a way to get our best players on the floor and somehow fit Josh Smith in there. It doesn't appear to be possible.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about everyone else but I would be willing to trade CB or AJ in a package deal for Josh Smith. Of course, ATL would want our #5 pick but they have some good players on their squad that I would try to "pry" away. Josh Smith can score but he is a great defender and would help us greatly.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | June 16, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Josh Smith + Attitude = Kirilenko - 3 years

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

#5 pick + ? = Josh Smith

Posted by: hireaaron | June 16, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Devendorf is in the draft and you are crazy to think he's a better player than Vazquez.

He was basically told he could not come back to Syracuse after his altercation with a female student that led to his suspension from the team last season.

Let those two switch spots last season and MD doesnt make the NIT and Cuse would have made the Elite 8

Posted by: DMoney28 | June 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

DCSportsFan28, That's exactly what I would like to do but I don't know about the salaries. I'd give up CB for Smith in a heartbeat and call it a fair trade. We'd have to throw in some players to make the numbers work and if the Hawks are trying to trim salary they might take James or Etan for a year.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

All the Stephon Curry lovers neglect to mention that he will have to DEFEND half the time he is on the court. There is one exclusive reason Steve Kerr, Eddie House and Juan Dixon played for almost 20 teams combined. I shouldn't have to spell it out.

I still like the idea of trading this pick along with DSteve and Pech to Indy for Marquis Daniels and their lotto pick. You could probably nab DeJaun Blair at that spot (#13) and you add a quality NBA defender in Daniels.

The Wix can't go into next season with JCritt as the only healthy/quality perimeter defender. There are already too many defensive question marks surrounding the 3-point defense... time to fix it now!

Posted by: elfreako | June 16, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I think they are going to trade the pick for sure. The question is to where? and for who?

The 2 most intrguing trades would be our 5th pick to NY and the contracts of Etan Thomas and Mike James (maybe Stevenson also) for Larry Hughes and the 8th pick. Or we could trade the pick and the same contracts, and a young player (Blatche??) to Phnx for Stoudemire.

Let me say this again... Jamison and Arenas' contracts are not tradeable, no one would want them. The tradeable contracts are everyone else on the team. I hope they don't trade Butler and I really don't think they will, but I'd be willing to trade him for Stoudemire.

Posted by: avbanig | June 16, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It's just my opinion, but Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday, and Stephon Curry can all play the point, but none is a 'true' PG in the style of Jason Kidd or Chris Paul, any more than Gilbert is. "
Posted by: Samson151 | June 16, 2009 8:19 AM

IMO, they aren't even as good of true points as Crittenton. I'm really exctied about Critt, he's going to ball out this summer during summer league. Once the guy develops a consistant mid range shot, he's going to be unstopabble. He can already get to the lane at will and IMO he's our best perimeter defender. Also, why replace a 6'5 200 lb true point with a 6' nothing that will get posted on every possession??

If we draft a PG its because we are trading the pick IMO, just like what we did when we drafted Harris and traded him to Little D.

Posted by: avbanig | June 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

1- Devendorf isn't a ball hog like Vasquez. He could play with his teammates, and that's why Syracuse went farther than UMD. Vasquez is better at making his own shot, but doesn't use his teammates.
2- I would love it the Wizards took Jonny Flynn. He is a true point guard that can bump Gil to SG where he belongs. Also, even though he is 6'0, he is longer than 6'3 Curry. He's got a 6'4 wingspan. He has hops, can pass, plays defense (look at how he stopped Harden in the Round of 32) and even get rebounds. He is the right man for the Wizards, unless Thabeet falls to 5. Then its a toss up.

Posted by: larbitboy | June 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Why give up the farm for damaged goods? Bad eye...bad knee...and no guarentee he will resign in DC. Amare is in the last year of his contract. I'd give the fifth pick and E. Thomas ( & maybe D. Steve), Phoenix should be more than happy with that. They move a player to get goods in return and get two 1st round picks.

Bid LOW, Steve Kerr is like Jordan (and they played together) they make horrible GM's. Anyone who gives the farm for Amare is CraZy...I'd love to have him in DC, but not at too high an asking price.

Posted by: Gooddad | June 16, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Could working out Curry be a ploy to lure NY into thinking he won't be there at the 8th spot?

Sounds like Curry may have got a quarentee from the Knicks. His long range shooting and the fact that he showed the ability to play the point this year make him a natural to pair with LeBron in 2010.

If the Wiz draft Curry it could be to complete a sign and trade deal with the Knicks. The guy does have NBA scorer's stones, and he's tougher then he looks.

Any doubt about his ability to compete should have been satisfied by the game he played on the road at Duke. Coach K threw everything he had at the kid, and he single handedly kept them in the game in front of the Cameron Crazies.

The Wiz could do a lot worse in the draft, he is definitely not another Dixon, or even a Steve Kerr. The kid can play at any level. I sure wouldn't give him away...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 16, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

avbanig, I'm glad I'm not the only Critt fan here. He showed me that he could be similar to Rondo in that he is a pretty good rebounder and he's a good passer. Like you said, if he develops that jumper he could be dangerous. While this year's crop of pg's looks promising, our weakness is not at the pg position.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

GM, I think Curry would score 20-25 THIS YEAR with that uptempo style.If D'Antoni's offense can turn Nash into a MVP and Wilson Chandler and Nate 'Spud' Robinson into good players, it can certainly make Curry a potent scorer.

I heard some crap about the Knicks liking Hill. They're trying to throw everyone off Curry's trail. They want him and we know it.

Kinda like Randy Moss on the Pats. Sounds like a perfect fit. Shooter on a run and gun team.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: avbanig | June 16, 2009 9:43 AM

Maybe Arenas' contract is not tradeable, but Jamison's definitely is! Cleveland would love to have him for instance.... since past season, I am not so keen on butler anymore. He mentioned a lot of times in interviews that he and antawn are the all-stars on the team but he didn't walk the talk. this mainly IMO because he was at the 2 but nevertheless, if you are not comfortable at a spot and you can't produce, you simply don't talk bs during interviews.

Posted by: Goelez | June 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

larryinaeoeeohewohtwothwtmaryland

Posted by: prescrunk | June 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

James Harden is the ideal pick for the Wiz. He will gel perfectly with Arenas and Caron. He also is more NBA ready right now than most of the others prospects at #5.

Posted by: pick5 | June 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

IF the Wizards find it in their best interests to keep the #5 pick and IF James Harden is available at #5, I agree he is the right man. If Harden is not available, Stephen Curry will not disappoint either... But if the Wizards pick either of these men, then Nick Young with all his upside almost has to get thrown under the bus. That's a decision that could haunt a franchise (as Orlando was haunted recently by Trevor Ariza)...

The more you ponder on this stuff, the more likely it is that the Wizards will move this pick.

Over on Bullets Forever there has been a lot of Vince Carter talk... Interesting stuff.

Posted by: khrabb | June 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"we gotta get Jennings. he reps cali, loves clowning, and sporting fresh fades. he's a natural-born Cavs hater too. unfortunately some people on this blog thing playing for the Wiz is about winning or playing rofl defense. dont lose sight of the fact that what matters the most is ETHOS. the new guy(s) must fit the mold started by Gilbert and perfected by Deshawn, Nick, Dom, Dray and last but not least Lemonhead."

larryinaeoeeohewohtwothwtmaryland

Posted by: prescrunk

This was posted in jest, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Dre Day...wow...didn't see that coming.

Posted by: Flizzo | June 16, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

anyone remember the guy that was supposed to be the next Dirk Nowitzki? the NY knicks took him in the draft about 5-6 years ago. Before the draft the guy was sure bet lottery pick, the next Dirk. either through the pre-draft camp or workouts the guy fell to the second round or late-late 1st round.

Anyone remember the French Michael Jordan? He was a lottery pick too. I'm talking about Michael Pietrus of the Orlando magic. they touted him like he should be a top 3 pick, but since he played in Europe folks would not take him that high. he's decent, but a top 7 pick that he comes off the bench for defense and 3pointers. no. i say no to the Euro hype.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 16, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

What interest me is the comments from Jennings about Rubio. It is rare that comments like these occur about another draftee from one. Of course Jennings might have some first hand knowledge for his accusations being as that he did play in Europe for a year.

I might be inclined to put a little bit of credance in his words.

""we gotta get Jennings. he reps cali, loves clowning, and sporting fresh fades. he's a natural-born Cavs hater too. unfortunately some people on this blog thing playing for the Wiz is about winning or playing rofl defense. dont lose sight of the fact that what matters the most is ETHOS. the new guy(s) must fit the mold started by Gilbert and perfected by Deshawn, Nick, Dom, Dray and last but not least Lemonhead.

larryinaeoeeohewohtwothwtmaryland

Posted by: prescrunk | June 16, 2009 10:24 AM""

And the aforecopied info might be worth commenting on if only anybody could figure out what the hey is being said and on what basis. An inside joke, maybe, why bring it here.

Me thoughts the whole purpose of this blog was because you had something to say. Writing something that is unintelligible makes no sense.

We Big Boys And Girls Here,...What are you saying? Does anybody know what is being said? I don't get it.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 16, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 9:26 AM

what position would he play?..and what position would caron play for them...everyone needs to understand the "big three" will not be traded..otherwise a move would have been made last year.

all those who shouldnt be traded include:

arenas
butler
young
jamison
haywood
mcghee
crittenton

apart from that...anyone else on that roster should and perhaps will be moved. along with the top 5 pick..imean a top 5 pick could turn out to be a franchise player. so you dont trade a potential franchise player and an allstar for a player who hasnt even been an allstar.

if atlanta wants to dangle smith, then the top 5 pick,blatche,thomas, and stevenson is enough for them...more than enough.

i say no to the ginobli trade, (if it it involved any of the players listed above), no to the ray allen trade("""), and no to the josh howard trade.

i would say yes to drafting tyreke evans because i see him as a dwayne wade/arenas type perimeter player,but i do expect ernie to make a blockbuster trade. Lets not forget jordan was not grunfields guy, so he never built a personell strong enough for him to win anything meaningful. jordan made lemonade out of apples. saunders is his[grunfield's] choice and best believe he is going to put together a roster that will support his decision to fire jordan and hire saunders otherwise he will be out of a job soon and saunders would not have accepted the job to ruin his coaching stats or legacy..watch and see and dont be suprised if an allstar/borderline allstar player isnt gift wrapped to us..

all this talk for trading jamison,or caron for stoudemire is defeating the purpose..the purpose is to keep your core while adding a proven veteran or a highly rated rookie on the team. players to look out for:

ak47
david lee
andres beindres
jason maxiel
david west**** (a hugeeeee sleeper)
josh smith

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 16, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78, Cut the crap, Gilbert feeds off stuff that Kobe just accomplished. Ya' think he landed that big butt contract because he did not know how to play with the Big Dogs.

I don't think so BulletsFan78. And I don't know iffin' you remember, but you gonna owe me some brews bigtime.

Gilbert Arenas is the real deal. Come on 78. Give it up.

And REDDMV. Great Comments!

LarryInClintonMD.

Larry I will be more than happy to buy you some brews when Gil gives this city a championship ring. Hopefully nobody whispers in his ear during the next playoff?

If they don't get a ring next year does that mean you owe me some brews or are we all supposed to give Gil a free ride til the day he either gets traded or retires from his knee injury?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 7:24 AM

Larry,

I think Gil landed that big contract because Abe saw that people would come to the games and it didn't matter if they win a championship or not. Considering how bad this team has been over the last 30 years, making the playoffs is a big deal to this team. Sorry, but I believe in life you strive to be the best and never settle for second place.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 7:28 AM

Larry,

I am sitting here at the bar on my wireless laptop waiting for you to buy me the brews for the season that Gil didn't get us past the first round.

Don't worry they just got 5 new kegs in so that should cover it.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 16, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's why Josh Smith will not be coming to Washington:

"The Hawks have had no problem finding teams interested in Smith. The issue is the whopping $6 million trade kicker attached to his contract. The trade kicker essentially would require the team that trades for Smith to pay him the $6 million immediately. In this economic climate, many owners will balk at the payment.

"You are going to see very few owners willing to do things like that anymore," one GM said. "I'm not saying he's impossible to trade. There are a few owners like Paul Allen, James Dolan, Mark Cuban and maybe Daniel Gilbert who would pay the money. But there aren't many."

Anybody think Abe is going to pony up an extra $6 mil?

Posted by: Prazak | June 16, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Curry may be the best player available at No. 5, but I question how he would fare playing next to a defender as poor as Agent Zero. Gilby has always had a strong defender (Hughes/Jeffries/Stevenson) to play next to him and cover the other team's top backcourt player. UNLESS Agent Zero is not going to return at 80/90% of his old self, Curry isn't a fit at PG either. Harden is bigger, stronger, and a natural 2-guard if the Wiz choose to fill that position.

I'm still not convinced that EG will do anything of substance at the draft and will see how the team does until the All-Star break. At that point, he'll know if this team can contend and the expiring contracts of ET and James will have more value. IF the team is treading water or Agent Zero is clearly not going to return to form, then he may blow things up and start the rebuilding process.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

How is Stephon Curry any more a natural pair with LeBron than Mo Williams/Daniel "Boobie" Gibson/Larry Hughes/Delonte West or Damon Jones ever were?

I'm all for cueing up the same movie again (at least as far as Crab-dribbler is concerned), but what is Stephon Curry going to do for US that any of the aforementioned, or for that matter, what Juan Dixon hasn't already done for us?

Meanwhile, James "Hot-Plate" Harden is someone I would gladly allow someone else to take to Jenny Craig.

I just don't see a sucker out there taking the #5 in a weak draft AND ET & SuperNanny. In fact, for that package, I would expect to see a LOT of trash coming back our way.

Posted by: mabkhar | June 16, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd be excited to see Stephen Curry with the Wizards. If he's available at no.5 this should be a no-brainer. Dell Curry was a class act and Stephen Curry carries himself in the same manner. Jennings is the next Stephon Marbury. I love Jonny Flynn but he'll end up a journeyman point guard. Curry will develop into an All Star point guard.

Posted by: AsstGM | June 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

the wizards?blockbuster trade?please,be for real.with them its mediocre,mediocre,mediocre.by the way,how in hell did stallworth get 30 days behind bars for driving drunk and killing a man.this justice system is a joke!just like the wiz front office!

Posted by: billydee123 | June 16, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Jamison to the CAVS???? Here's word from Draft Express:

"While plenty of media outlets are speculating about a potential deal between Cleveland and Phoenix, we’ve heard some talk of a possible trade between Cleveland and Washington actually. The deal would essentially be a cost-cutting move for the Wizards, sending Antawn Jamison and filler (Mike James) to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic. Wallace seems likely to retire, and Pavlovic is on a non-guaranteed contract for next season. It’s not clear whether the Wizards would need to surrender the #5 pick. Jamison is attractive to the Cavs since he’s exactly the type of combo forward they were missing to match up with Orlando’s Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu."

Posted by: t-train | June 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Harden is the pick, He has to be with the uncertainty we have at the 2. DS is coming off a bad back and NY is still not trusted or proven. We need a semi-stopper at the 2 and not a shooter UNLESS DS is fully healthy.
If that is the case, we could possibly roll the dice with Curry. CB WILL get hurt this year and we will need a third scoring option when that happens. Caron has averaged 69 games per year over 7 years and played 67 for us last year.
No more fantasizing about Josh Smith. It won't happen. I think the Wiz will draft someone and keep him and play this season out hoping that what we have is good enough.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I would love to have Josh Smith over here. I'm not sure how the salaries would work with his kicker. Because we would have to give Atlanta about 16 mil in salaries, with them only losing 10 mil in salary. I don't know if there is a clause about kickers which helps out with such things.

While I would be willing to give up either Butler or Jamison for Smith, and I think that's better long term for the team, it doesn't get the Zards any closer to an immediate trip to the finals. He's a very good young player, but not quite the impact level of a Chris Bosh.

I find it odd that Atlanta wants to be rid of him. He's under contract for a while, so there won't be issues involving money anytime soon. He's only 23, and along with Horford (also 23) makes up one of the more dynamic, young, up-and-coming front courts in the league. Along with Williams, who's shown to at least be a more than solid player at the 3, they have 3 secured starting spots for guys 23 and under.

If they are serious about trying to shed some salary, they should look at Joe johnson. He's by far their best player, and a few days from 28, but at 5 years or more older than the other guys, he might be out of his prime when those guys fully come into their own (or gone since he's only got one more season under contract).

They could send him our way, in exchange for the 5th pick this year (a pg or Harden, both of which they need), next year's 1st rounder (just to sweeten it), our two big expiring contracts, and if they need more, Nick Young. Or we could do the 5th, Butler, and an expiring contract (Butler's contract is almost 5 mil smaller than Johnson's and he's locked up for a little longer at that rate). Also, he probably will not command as much as Johnson will in each of their next contracts.

Posted by: segastyle | June 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Jamison to the CAVS???? Here's word from Draft Express:

___________________________

Why would the Wizards help the Cavs? don't see that happening...

Posted by: tony325 | June 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree....would be the bonehead move of the year for the Wiz.

Posted by: t-train | June 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

josh smith can be picked by Dallas, wiz need to look for three way trade to try to get stakhouse's contract to land a dependable veteran.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

stackhouse?? has the swine-flu affected your brain..

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Vince baby. I'm feeling it.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | June 16, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

if anyone watched the Atlanta-Cavs series, you know why the Hawks are trying to deal Smith. He continued to take terrible shot after terrible shot - usually 3s. Anyone who shoots the ball as poorly as he does, especially given his position and athleticism, would not settle for the 3 ball. Instead, this goof didn't care... just kept chucking it up there, praying for a miracle.

Love the athleticism, but hate the attitude.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 16, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Please people, enough with the fantasy GM deals. You people would make the wizards into the washington generals.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 16, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I know this draft is low on quality big men but do the Wizards really need another guard unless to deal for a big man. (Young) big man. Bosh would be great but I don't think his contract is up tilnext year. The Wiz are loaded with young talented guards we don't need another, especially one that is not known for any defense.

Posted by: williebstrong | June 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling it too. At 1st I was thinking that that's way too many egos on one team. But the more I thought about it, I think it would work. The Tar Heel connection would be enough to keep him grounded. And it would be a major upgrade at the 2.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 16, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My truck driver from Cleveland tells me that the Cav's fans are all over a Jamison deal. I can't see what Wallace(last year of deal, maybe open to a buyout) and Pavlovic(contract not fully quarenteed) do for the Wiz.

Trade your best player last season for two guys to cut? and why do the Cav's want Jamison? They had no one to matchup with Lewis and Turkalou. And when the Magic met the Lakers Lewis got outmatched by Odom. Gee folks, all combo forwards. All in the finals.

Jamison sure looks good to other teams, and he's not the problem here. He played last year without a center behind him. Ernie's smart enough to know that, it would be nice if more people on this site would figure it out.

The Wiz need another center more then anything else. Thomas is unable to play, and McGee will be ready to start playing center years from now. Until then he's a high energy power forward.

With some defensive coaching I'd take McGee over Josh Smith at power forward right now.Smith's had a lot of time to develop already, what you see is what you're going to get.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Forget about Shaq. I'd hate to see Lamar Odom or Ariza go to Cleveland. Both play defense and are better scoring options than what the Cavs presently have.

Posted by: original_mark | June 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Trading Jamison unless a comparable All-Star forward like Josh Smith came in return makes no sense. If cost cutting is the name of the game, the Wiz will do what is needed to move ET's contract even if it means parting with the No. 5. People seem to forget that Jamision and Arenas are a package deal. If Jamison leaves, Arenas will be upset as the franchise player and will be that much less effective. Jamison is also the team's captain and leader.

If EG trades Jamison to Cleveland, he'll hae a mutiny on his hands. The Cavs have nothing the Wizards could possibly need to improve their roster except possibly Mo Williams (and he plays the same position as Arenas). If the Wiz genuinely wanted to clear cap space, they would have made the deal last year when Cleveland dangled Wally World's expiring contract and Gibson. EG didn't bite then and I can't imangine he would now when he has another chip in the No. 5 draft pick.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Jamison to Cleveland rumor to save money is wrong. The Wiz are already skating on thin ice because of last year's record and Abe's health. Jamison is Abe's favorite too. It is time to spend money and get outstanding players. Player that cannot produce can go. The Lakers would not be NBA champions if they decided to save money and not get Gasol.

Posted by: JoeC2 | June 16, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Smith's had a lot of time to develop already, what you see is what you're going to get." - flohrtv

I agree. That means for the foreseeable future you can count on 15-18 pts, 7-9 rbs, 2-3 blks a game. That's a tiny bit less scoring than Jamison, about the same rebounding, and a solid amount better defense. All that and 10 years younger. At this point, I'd take that. But I'm also one of those of the opinion that the zards, while a playoff team, are not close to being in the conference finals yet.

I think instead of looking towards next season, we should be thinking 2010/2011 or 2011/2012. Arenas/Butler/Jamison aren't going all the way with just minor tweaks. One of those three needs to be replaced. We need at least 3 guys in our starting 5 to put an above average amount of energy towards defense. Right now we have one (Haywood). Two if Stevenson is starting. I'm just not sure he's physically up to the task anymore.

If you get a SG who can play good defense and output close to Butler offensively, you can then put McGuire in at the 3. That will change the makeup of the team defensively, without them losing much offensively. That's why we should offer up Butler, the pick, and whatever other sweeteners to try and pry Johnson away. Otherwise, try to sign him after this season with a sign-and-trade.

Posted by: segastyle | June 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Curry has a scrawny physique. For that reason, I don't see him as being any more than a role player a la Juan Dixon or JJ Redick. Look at the elite point guards in the league, Paul, Williams, Billups even Gil. They're all built like full backs and will be playing pinball w/ the likes of Curry...

Posted by: randysbailin | June 16, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who wish to trade for a vet with a couple good years left need to think in man years rather than immediate playoff prospects. A solid choice at five should be able to help right away, probably less than a vet THIS YEAR, but likely more than a vet over MANY YEARS. A good low first-round choice should play for a decade or so. If one takes the two decent years left in Ray Allen's creaky legs, or the 4 or so premier years left in, say, Carlos Boozer's, the player we choose could be worth FIVE of the former, and TWO AND A HALF of the latter over a decade.

One counter-argument is the player could turn out to be a bust, while a vet is proven. True, however, so could a vet see his skills falter quicker than anticipated. Often, teams are willing to part with vets because they have noticed the decline the firsthand (see Mitch Richmond), or because they know he wants to bolt to a team of his choosing. There is also the chance that the player we draft turns out to be a franchise-making star, like Kobe, Wade, the Mailman, etc., all of whom were chosen at or well after we pick. Such a player is obviously preferable to a decent, even superior veteran. The draft is a crapshoot, but how build-around stars are usually acquired. Some of you would give that potential up for some injury-riddled and/or aging and/or disgruntled, possibly one and/or two-and-done in free agency player? Or, worse, to dump contracts? The idea is to win a championship, not to become 'respectable' and make the playoffs. Our best chance to do that, even if it also involves the risk of getting worse, is to keep the pick. Players with star potential who might be available when we pick, as I see it, include Derozan and Evans (both of whom would also upgrade our athleticism at the two). Harden has a 'solid NBA player' ceiling in my view and should be avoided, while Curry could be a truly special player or an undersized bust. Let's roll the dice and find out. At two, Patrick Mills or Ellington if one is around, also depending on who we draft first

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, a trade is in order. I would take a skip 2 my lou(rafer) and jj redick for the #5 pick and a couple unloaded contracts! Nick Young is the key for the Wiz, if he can play the 2 beside Gil, then we are straight. The only reason we have the #5 is because Gil was out, if he is the superstar I think he is, then he will make evryone else better. Deshawn is garbage and talks 2 much 4 having no game. I would take a sharpshooter like redick any day off the bench.

Posted by: DCDiplomat | June 16, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd read Chris Paul and built like a fullback in the same post.

It always amazes me when people try to say a player needs to be a certain height or weight to play a certain position. And guys just prove them wrong on a daily basis.

Curry can flat out play, I've seen more then one college coach think he's going to smother the guy with some 6' 7" guy that's going to post him up every time down the court. Curry isn't that easy to post. At a legit 6'3" he's taller then some two's in the league now. And nobody's going to out shoot him.

And every time he gets a bigger player on him in college he runs him off screens. The guy is so quick to sq. up and shoot he's only got to get a 1/2 step on a guy.

And he's not just a long range bomber, he's developed an "old school" midrange game. He can stop and pop with the best of them, and he's become a much better passer.

I'd agree, of Atlanta's guys Joe Johnson makes the most sense. But I wouldn't give up Butler and the 5th pick to get him.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 16, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The above analysis is exactly what I'm talking about. Dump contracts instead of potentially get the next Dwayne Wade or Derrick Rose? Or trade a potential future star for a mediocre point guard no better than than the back-up we already have (Critt) and Reddick, a substantial bust by any criteria? Why are so many people unexcited about keeping the pick? There are many intriguing prospects and we haven't picked so high since... Kwame Brown. Come to think of it, maybe that's why.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 16, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wizards fans, we are only a few short weeks away until the end of Etan Thomas's Reign of Terror on this city. The ignorant, bigoted, fool Etan will be shipped off to another team by draft day, and he won't be able to spread his pitiful racism to DC area schoolchildren any more.

It is almost time to celebrate, but let's wait until he's officially gone to whip out the champaign bottles.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 16, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I am not totally against drafting a young talent. However, don't sleep on redick because I have been to two different games that he lit us up on our court. The magic have been torn with what to do with him, because he has earned playing time. I just want to know who you think can be drafted at number 5 and unseat a starter with 1-Gil, 2-Nick, 3-Butler, 4-Jamison, 5-Haywood/McGee. Nick had some great games last year and at times seemed to be the only one other than Jamison competing. This core (Gil, CB, Jamison) have maybe one more year together unless they come up big. Last year hurt and I don't think the front office is going to wait for a rookie to develop. However, I could see a Curry coming in and at least contributing offensively.

Posted by: DCDiplomat | June 16, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

no way they'd trade joe johnson, if we got joe johnson we'd instantly be a title contender....he is a good defensive player as well as combo guard on offense....i would trade the 5th, young, and jamison, for him, that would allow us to start blatche, and would instantly make us a better defensive team, or if u want to keep jamison, i would give up young, blatche and expiring contracts, that would make our bench much weaker, but we could use a midlevel exception to sign a bench scorer off the wing

Posted by: jasonma1 | June 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

i think there is no way we take curry, the wiz are just blowing smoke, knowing that there is a lot of interest in curry, so that people will consider trading for him...

Posted by: jasonma1 | June 16, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Curry and Derozan could help our team next year at the two. Deshawn may be done and was never that good to begin with, while Nick Young has a lot of growing up to do, and if/after he does, much to then prove. Curry would give us immediate offense and stretch the D by giving us the outside threat we missed last year, plus add some playmaking and perhaps already be an upgrade over Critt at the two. Derozan more than anyone else this year after Griffin has the physical trappings of a superstar. Evans, too, has star potential, and is already a better drive & dish passer than Critt, and more balanced both offensively and defensively (although like Critt, he needs to work on his outside shot. Being much younger than Critt, however, gives him more upside potential in learning a mid-range/outside jumper).

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 16, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Upgrade over Critt at the one, that is...

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 16, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Everything you folks are saying points to Harden as the best pick.

Where are the big men workouts? I hope they bring in the Hill kid from Arizona and Blair at the same time..

Posted by: oknow1 | June 16, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"no way they'd trade joe johnson" - jasonma1

I doubt they do either, but for their salary and long-term future it may be the best move. Regardless, he's a free agent after this year. So after another early playoff exit are they going to pay him another 70 mil over 5 years? With all the teams with large amounts of available cap space next summer, many will be able to sign Johnson without doing a sign-and-trade with Atlanta. So there is a very good chance they'll lose him after this upcoming season for nothing. Whereas in a trade for Butler, they'd have him locked up through next year's free agent frenzy.

Of course, on the other hand, we could lose Johnson after this season too. but hopefully, with about 18+ mil in expiring contracts, we'd be willing to resign him and Haywood (if we still want him then).

Posted by: segastyle | June 16, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

this draft is crap...even griffin would only be top 10 pick in a normal year. Pick Curry, trade him for a vet and a low teen pick. Make the team that wants Curry take ET also. use that pick to get Maynor.

Maynor is same size, same skills, same experience, same shooting, same success as Curry and can play d.

So you end up with the same basic player (Curry or Maynor) and a vet (Marion). The Vet is 100% bonus, since you don't lose anything picking keeping Maynor over Curry. Actually, I think Maynor is better because he can turn a game by scoring 8 straight pts with rebounds, steals and lights out shooting.

Yeah, I know beating Duke isn't beating the Cavs, but he didn't have anyone as good as McGee at VCU, much less the Big 3.
Actually Larry Sanders from VCU will me a monster NBA player in a couple years.

Give Mike James a last chance to see if he can hit his shots and put im on IL if not. Trade him at the deadline next season for someone who gets hit with a rash of injuries.

If you can't get a decent Vet in the curry trade, get some 1st rounders in 2011 or 2012. This year has some solid players but only a couple of stars and NO ONE, repeat NO ONE knows who they are.

Maynor is as good as there is after the 3rd pick.

Posted by: Blurred | June 16, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | June 16, 2009 4:46 PM

---------------------

so much hate and bitterness reserved for someone you accuse of hate and bitterness.

Posted by: crs-one | June 16, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Jamison to the CAVS???? Here's word from Draft Express:

Posted by: t-train | June 16, 2009 12:43 PM

------

My favorite part of that was about if "the wizards would need to surrender the 5 pick"

just in case the deal wouldn't be lopsided enough

Posted by: crs-one | June 16, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crs-one | June 16, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I think the knicks would value the 5 pick the most and could swap their 8th pick and mobely's expiring contract (paid by insurance) for the 5 and Etan's or James' expiring contract. The deal could be expanded to include Hughes expiring, JJ (2 years)or Nate (in a S&T). The knicks will be motivated to move up to get Curry or Rubio if he falls.

Posted by: wizfanatic | June 16, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN's Chad Ford - Mock Draft 4.0:

Analysis: As we've been reporting since draft lottery night, the Wizards continue to shop the pick. A source in Washington told me that they've had a number of interesting offers. Their goal is to get back a veteran who can play right now -- and to shed a few million dollars off their cap if possible.

A number of teams -- including the Knicks, Mavericks, Rockets and Pacers -- are possibilities here. If the Wizards keep the pick, they'll have a tough choice between Harden and Hill. From the intel I've received, it sounds as though Harden might be slightly ahead.

Posted by: cannontl | June 16, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

"I doubt they do either, but for their salary and long-term future it may be the best move. Regardless, he's a free agent after this year. So after another early playoff exit are they going to pay him another 70 mil over 5 years? With all the teams with large amounts of available cap space next summer, many will be able to sign Johnson without doing a sign-and-trade with Atlanta."
Posted by: segastyle | June 16, 2009 5:55 PM

Most of those teams are reserving their money for a shot at James, Wade, or Bosh. Johnson is pretty far down on the list and may not be keen on waiting to collect the scraps if the Hawks come at him with a strong offer up front (which they likely will. And given their recent history, 2 first round losses to the teams with the best regular season record in the NBA is a big step up. It's not like they fell short of expectations by losing in the first round. I'm pretty sure no one had them pencilled in for a Finals appearance this season or last. They're still in the early stages of rebuilding and Johnson is the foundation of that. Cutting loose the closest thing they've got to franchise player (after not having one for 15 years) is not something a team with any concept of a "long-term future" does.

"The deal would essentially be a cost-cutting move for the Wizards, sending Antawn Jamison and filler (Mike James) to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic."

Even by the standards of most of the trade scenarios posted here, that's ridiculous, esp. if it's being billed a s a"cost cutting" move. It only saves money if Wallace retires, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to walk away from $14 mill guaranteed. And even if he does . . . it's still a terrible deal. Sure the Wiz would have lots of cap room, but who, exactly, would be flocking to play for a team coming off a 19 win season that just traded away the guy who'd been their best player the last two years?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

If the above is true, this is what I favor - trading the pick for a veteran that can help them win now (if possible).

We already have enough young projects on the team and the big three are not getting any younger.

Posted by: cannontl | June 16, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"Marcin Gortat will be a free agent next year. Any thoughts on him at the 5 with haywood?"
Posted by: crs-one | June 16, 2009 7:07 PM

I think they're way over the cap and headed towards the luxury tax and don't have any money to spend on free agents.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"Any one team taking both Etan AND Mike James is doing us a solid. I don't have any expectations of that happening. Maybe someone can enlighten me but if I was a GM for another team, why, in a down economy, with a shrinking cap, and an extremely competitive free agent market coming up, would I saddle my roster with TWO deadweight contracts and a project rookie?"

Because their contracts expire at the end of next season, freeing up about $14 mill in cap space that a team could use in that "extremely competitive free agent market" of 2010.

Any team that takes Etan or James (let alone both) will be doing so with the goal of getting rid of their own deadweight contracts. The only difference is that their dead weight won't be coming off the books after next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

"Let me say this again... Jamison and Arenas' contracts are not tradeable, no one would want them."

There's almost no such thing as an untradeable contract in the NBA. The question is what kind of value can you get in return? Given Jamison's age and limitations and Arenas' surgeries, any deal made for them would result in the Wizards taking back pennies on the dollar.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Trading Jamison to the Cavs for Pavlovic & Bens retirement spot would be the biggest bamboozle since the Lakers got Pau Gasol.
Where will Jamisons 20 points & 10 rebounds go???
Who's gonna pick them up?
---Not Pavlovic.
I don't see the Wizzies doing this. I think Ernie wants to see how the big 3 & Brendan do before he makes any major move like this.
I'd rather see the Cavs get Shaq.
It would be fun seeing Labron telling Shaq what to do.

Posted by: VBFan | June 16, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards will in all likelihood trade the pick, and when they do, it probably won't be a blockbuster trade - just something to make them incrementally better. Which, if you think about it, is good - there's no guarantee that any one of these incoming rookies will make a team better, at least in the short term. And the Wizards are thinking in the short term, because they won't have Jamison playing at high level for much longer.

If for some reason they can't swing a trade, I expect they'll pick Jordan Hill (assuming he's available). Big men usually get a preference in the draft (though we all saw how that worked out the last time Washington had a #1 pick). With a healthy Arenas, they can't expect to see any high draft picks for a few years, and guards and small forwards are always plentiful.

Is it the best philosophy? I don't think so, but I believe it's where they're headed, assuming they can't work out a favorable trade. That Cavs deal is laughable, btw.

Posted by: satchmore | June 16, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I really dont see the Wiz a drafting point gard. Sure Curry is an interesting possibility. But drafting him means that Gilbert is being moved to shooting guard. And this new guard combo would be shooting 90% of the shots and playing no defense. While that might be entertaining, it wont get you deep into the playoffs. If the Wiz want to boost their playoff prospects they are going to have to trade that 5th pick.

Posted by: threeof3 | June 16, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

does swine- flue affect your brain?
You missed something? try toc heek stakhouse's contract? He is one of the few players that every team would like to trade since his contract is not forcing you to sign him.
so far I am free of swine-flue.
This move help wiz to clear thomas and james salary right know so that they could sign any veteran.
you can argue by saying why they have to loss their #5 pick to clear salary cup?
It is not the best action but they have 14 players under contract, if they have to sign both picks, they will not have a cup space even if they decide to pay the tax.This action might help them to land a player that might improve their playoff run than some of the players we have seen in the trade blog. it is much better than trading down to get the cup space.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 16, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

And "cup space" is important if you want to avoid chafing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse