Wizards Give DeRozan a Look

Zach Berman reports from Verizon Center that the Wizards are giving 6-7 SG-SF DeMar DeRozan of USC an individual workout this afternoon, in addition to a workout this morning that included Ty Lawson and five other players. DeRozan is currently projected to go 9th in the NBA draft by DraftExpress, and he provided some entertaining quotes during the predraft camp in Chicago last month. Stay tuned.

By Alexa Steele  |  June 11, 2009; 1:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Workouts Continue, Lawson Coming
Next: Harden And Evans to Work Out Friday

Comments

Now THIS is news worth talking about. He's raw and we have a poor track record when it comes to player development but he has some skills.

Posted by: original_mark | June 11, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

He's the 3rd most talented player in the draft, and is a no-brainer at 5.

Posted by: Dellis2 | June 11, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Considering the players the Wizards are bringing in for workouts, it looks like they are trying to trade the pick and move down.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I checked out DraftExpress about DeRozan and saw this video on Harden. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Harden-1241/
Seems very smart and mature. Talked alot about the Wizzies.
I'd have no problem if they took him at 5.

Posted by: VBFan | June 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

DeRozan = Nick Young. I'm not too thrilled about a talented guy who still needs to mature. I think it's a lock that the Wiz will trade this pick for veteran.

Posted by: t-train | June 11, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: t-train | June 11, 2009 2:36 PM

and..nick young doesnt need to be around friends..he needs to focus, work hard and develop his butt in the weight room

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Derozan=iguodala

Posted by: beas13 | June 11, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

as i said in an earlier post, if there is some indication that DeRozan can be a very good defender, I think Ernie has to consider him at 5, or any position to which they trade. DeRozan is a BIG 2, and is very athletic; therefore, if he possesses the will to be a good defender, then he would be a tremendous asset. Let's face it, the wiz are terrible at defending the perimeter, and they are likely to deal with BronBron for the indefinite future. If there is a good chance DeRozan can help solve these problems, I think it's worth the risk.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 11, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

by the way, Draftexpress had this workout listed for at least a week on their website. I was wondering if it was true. Thanks for the confirmation M. Lee.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 11, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nick young, in my opinion, will never be anything more than he is now, which isn't good. trade him if at all possible before the league figures him out.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 11, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this necessarily means the Wiz are likely to trade down in the draft (although trading the pick might be their best move if they can get a veteran who can help them win now).

I think Ernie is looking at all his options and will try to do whatever he thinks will best help the team.

Posted by: cannontl | June 11, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Not feeling DeRozan only because we have Nick. We need a hard nosed banger. I dont see that guy at 5.

Posted by: DMoney28 | June 11, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Derozan is intriguing and has arguably the most potential in this years draft.

He has elite athleticism, up there with Kobe and Vince(when they came out) and LeBron. He plays above the rim and can play both SF and SG.

But he is very raw.

Also I think Nick Young can improve and just needed a different coach, new voice. I mean he did have EJ as his coach and then effin Tapscott. He made one mistake he was gone. I think he can thrive under Flip.

My pick if he is there is James Harden, then Derozan and Evans and then trade down.

Posted by: mikejc80 | June 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

i think its preposterous that people think that now all of a sudden our young players improve because EJ is gone...first off, u guys must not know much about flip, one of the knocks on flip is that he relies on his vets too much...when he was with detroit he played his starters 40 min per game and really only had an 8 man rotation throughout the season...if our young players improve, its because of their hard work and dedication they put in this summer, not because of their coach...anyone think kobe bryant wouldnt be this good anywhere else?...no because he is a notoriously hard worker...thats what it will come down to for the rest of these players...btw...i also believe nick young can be come a great player...he has the talent to become a kobe-esque player...he has the physical tools and the offensive knack....however, one of the knocks on nick young coming out of college, and you can look this up, was his basketball IQ, nick young is a great person...but he isnt the brightest kid in the world...he struggled to do well enough on the SAT to even make it to eligibility...hopefully he works hard on his game and brings it this year

btw it wasnt like gilbert was as good as he was before he came here, his best season was 18 points a game...but he worked hard and turned his game into a top 15 player, how come EJ doesnt get credit for that?...because its not his credit or blame...gil made himself who he is, EJ only put him in a position to maximize his talents, and if nick or blatche had shown something, EJ would def. have given a chance to them to maximize their talents

Posted by: jasonma1 | June 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"If we do trade back the guy I really like for us is Earl Clark from Louisville. Hopefully we work him out. I think hes a much better player than his teammate Williams.Posted by: DMoney28"

He's an interesting guy. Not necessarily a better player than Williams at Louisville, but more potential as a pro. Saw him in those same two tournament games and he's clearly a tweener -- SF against some clubs, PF against others. And I think I already mentioned that Louisville players sometimes struggle in the NBA...

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I called it like a week ago....TRADE DOWN AND GRAB TERRENCE WILLIAMS!!!

He fits our team (which is full of scorers) so well because he likes to pass more than shoot but he can also get to the rim. Not to mention he's a better defender than Deshawn and NY combined at the 2 spot.

He would fit perfect with Gil on the floor because either one of them can handle the ball but we know Gil is a shoot first player....so why not put a guy who can play the 2 and guard 2s but be more of a 1 offensively on the floor with Gilbert? Makes sense doesnt it?

And trading down gets a player who fits better for cheaper plus whatever we get in return for our 5th pick....Just call me GM of the year.

Posted by: Gtown87 | June 11, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

T-Will can play 3 positions and is an outstanding defender...we could use some of that.

I wouldn't be too upset if we stay at 5 and take Harden but if not, trade down for Williams.

Posted by: Gtown87 | June 11, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

gtown: "And Earl Clark is nowhere near as well-rounded as Williams. Yea he can shoot and he's 6'10, but other than that he doesn't bring much to the game. I think he'll be a downgraded Rashard Lewis in the NBA, because his shot is not as good and he can't get to the rack as well."

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Wizards have made a trade offer for Manu Ginoibili.

Asked by the Argentine press this week whether he thought he could be traded, he said “impossible” had lost a few letters.

“Today I believe there is a chance it could happen,” Ginobili said.

“People get in trouble when they say never,” Gregg Popovich said Wednesday.

“But Manu Ginobili is someone I cannot envision trading,” Popovich continued. “He has been such a huge part of our heart and soul; people like that are hard to come by. You don't even think about trading somebody like that. I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded.”

Posted by: MCSteph88 | June 11, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

from realgm.com

Posted by: MCSteph88 | June 11, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Yup its on realgm.com which is usually pretty accurate.

Not a big Manu fan personally but he's an upgrade over what we have...

Deal that works salary wise would be Etan with Nick Young. Spurs don't have a draft pick though, so not sure why we'd be working out mid-first rounders. Maybe it's a 3-way deal?

Would be kind of like Boston's draft trade to get Ray Allen 2 yrs ago at the same age (Allen is 2 yrs older than Manu).

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 11, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Mike James with Blatche would also work btw.

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 11, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe get back the Spurs #37 pick and send that with our #32 to the TWolves for #18? TWolves have 3 1st rounders...

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 11, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think getting Tayshaun is a possibility? I would rather have him over Rip, Howard of Manu.

Proven winner, team player, solid D. Just seems like he would be a great addition if Detroit is willing to part ways with him.

Of the names being tossed around I would want Prince, Howard, Terry, Manu in that order.

Posted by: DMoney28 | June 11, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

"The Washington Wizards have made a trade offer for Manu Ginoibili."

At any given time I'm sure at half the teams in the NBA have made trade offers for Ginobili over the years.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 11, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I think there's a definite possibility Prince gets traded. I don't see him coming to the Wizards.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 11, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

"I hesitate to question since you already awarded yourself GM of the Year, but not being as good as Rashard Lewis isn't much of a criticism -- not many NBA forwards are. As to whether he'd fit with the Wiz, I imagine about as well as Terrence Williams would."

So yes, I am GM of the year.

Posted by: Gtown87 | June 12, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"The other thing I forgot to mention was Clark's lack of defensive ability. He can't move his feet NEARLY as good as Lewis. And he plays the same spot as CB3, so how much time will he really even see anyway? Williams can come in and make this a make-or-break year for NY, which it needs to be.He has the potential to be star once he develops his shot. If you watch him play he plays like Lebron when Lebron had a very suspect jumper. He's almost always the most athletic player on the court. He can also make my man Souljah Boy (DS), who I love dearly but is not an NBA starter, expendable.Not to mention he played 4 years under Rick Pitino, I think he may have learned a few things.So yes, I am GM of the year.Posted by: Gtown87"

And humble, too, I see. But...

I don't know where you got the idea Clark lacks defensive ability. He doesn't. The word you hear most often is 'smothering'. He can guard every position except center. The real questions are on offense.

Comparing Williams to LeBron is, well, a stretch? He's missing more than the jump shot. He's a wonderful passer and strong defender, but doesn't even approach James Harden as an offensive player, let along King James. Despite his athleticism, he doesn't go to the basket particularly well.

It's dumb to say one fits the Wiz' needs better than the other, if only because the Wiz need so many things. A 6'10" guy who can defend four positions and pass the ball skillfully out of the post would definitely help. So would a 6'6" guy who could take the opponent's best perimeter scorer.

But as for Pitino preparing players for the pros, that's debatable. Rick coaches very effective schemes that perhaps don't translate very well to the matchup environment of the NBA. His players need to run to be successful, and I think that's true of both Williams and Clark, too. I wouldn't draft either if I were Jerry Sloan. They're very solid players with outstanding skills who could help the Wiz in about equal measure.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 12, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Just to add my two cents to the discussion of Earl Clark. He's had my attention for the last two seasons and I've seen him play a lot. I would be intrigued by the Wiz drafting him if they do trade down.

I think he has a lot of potential, but you have to watch him often to see all the tools and skill that he possesses. He's a good ball handler for his size, a great passer, a good shooting touch (although it still needs some work), boxes out well for rebounds rather than just using his athleticism, and works hard on defense.

He's not the banger that the Wiz need, but I think he would be a nice addition. And as crazy as it may sound, he is a guy that I see as the most likely "surprise star" (ex. T. Prince, D. West) to come out of this draft.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 12, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 11, 2009 2:41 PM

EXACTLY: For those who are clamoring for DeRozan, check out the video from his workout with the Wiz yesterday (on the Wiz' website--sorry, no link). Maybe he's tired (which shouldn't be an excuse either way), but dude looks like he's doggin' it. He doesn't even jump more than an inch or two off the ground! NOT what we need, IMO.

I will say that I've been on the James Harden bandwagon since before the lottery, and nothing I've seen in the combine/workouts has changed my opinion. I think he'd be a perfect complement to Gil at the 2 -- he seems to be very efficient on the offensive end (much like Antawn) and he's proven he can create when he needs to. I've heard a lot of scouts say he doesn't have a "star" quality, but personally, I'm fine with that. We don't need any more superstars, we need players who know their roles and excel at them.

Posted by: Naterade | June 12, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse