You Tell Us: Will You Miss LeBron in the Finals?

Okay, maybe this is a little bit of a layup, but hear me out.

Any time you're as dangerous as I am, losing is going to hurt. (Photo by Elsa/NBAE via Getty Images)

For a while, it was cool to anticipate the Kobe-LeBron, Lakers/Cavs Finals. Then when the Nuggets and Magic began to play well, it was kind of trendy to hope for them both to lose, though I still wonder if anyone would have watched that series. Now that we have Kobe's drawing power taking on the Magic's well-constructed and plenty-exciting team, will anyone really miss LeBron James in the Finals?

I suspect the answers to this question are much different in Wizardsland than they would be if we polled NBA fans, both die-hard and casual, across the country. But that's exactly what this post is here for, for you to sound off on the absence of the league MVP from the Finals.

Or perhaps you'd care to discuss LeBron's attitude after Game 6, after which he did not speak with the media. On one hand, he's the team leader and is more or less obligated, and on the other, he's got a right to be frustrated at times, and perhaps was wise to cool off before he made any public comments, which, as co-worker Missy Rosenberg points out, he finally got around to doing on Sunday:

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," James said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

By Keith McMillan |  June 1, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Previous: A Time To Chill | Next: Howard, Magic Another Roadblock in East

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

dang i think i got the first post lol

Posted by: rnorris6 | June 1, 2009 9:39 AM

I can't say it any better than CHarley ROsen:

"Clearly, the Cavs believed all of the hype that surrounded them throughout the regular season. As a result, they became unbearably arrogant — as demonstrated by their unseemly bench celebrations over dunks, shot blocks and blowouts. While the media praised these antics as proof of the team's "togetherness," the players were actually showing their disdain for their opponents and proving that they didn't really understand what a difficult and serious task lay ahead of them.

LeBron's swaggering and continual self-promotion was the most egregious of these haughty antics. It's only fitting that the prestidigitations of the Magic made LeBron disappear in the same cloud of chalk dust that he ostentatiously employed to announce his imperial presence before each game."

and

"Finally, his incredible lack of grace after the loss signifies an ego of such humongous proportions as to enable him to deny any personal responsibility for the Cavs' ultimate failure."

Posted by: TheFunBunch | June 1, 2009 9:48 AM

This made my season after our own stinker of a season. hahahahhaha LETS GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 1, 2009 9:49 AM

I'm happy that the rest of the NBA finally sees what the Wiz fans have seen all along; Lebron is a pampered brat. How can you not shake the opponents hand? Even Deshawn Stevenson had more class than that after the Cavs pounded us last year. Geez.

Posted by: BillEmm | June 1, 2009 9:51 AM

I personally will not miss the dude.. i was hoping that he would not get to the finals.. i was actually happy to see the Magic beat the Celtics because i knew that they had the only rael chance to beat the Cavs.. if the cavs would have been in the finals with LA, i probably would not watch the finals..

on the note about james' actions after the game, i think that is disrespectful.. in every form.. when the Magic won, i watched James just walk off the floor.. That is just wrong.. that is not good sportsmanship.. you never see a basketball game where both teams didnt congratulate the other team or just saying "Good Game".. James' sportsmanship is another reason why i dont like him...

Posted by: WizSkinsFan | June 1, 2009 9:52 AM

You say LeBron is more or less obligated to talk after Game 6. Unless I am wrong, aren't NBA players required by the NBA to stay for post-game conferences?

Regardless, his behavior after the game and his justification on Sunday shows his lack of class and disrespect for the game. Sure you may hate being beaten but you have to show the winners a little respect. Especially, when you've routinely show disdain for teams you've beaten. What a jerk!

Posted by: tundey | June 1, 2009 10:16 AM

Oh yeah, I won't miss his sorry ass in the finals. Kobe may be selfish but I don't recall him showing disrespect to opponents.

And Dwight Howard...what more can you say? Such a delight to watch the young guy. Even my wife, who doesn't watch the NBA much, said "why is this dude always smiling?" The only bad things about Howard is the Wizards are going to have to face him 4 times each year. ouch! JaVale better eat his vegetables.

Posted by: tundey | June 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Know this Wizards fans....

Cavs > Wizards.

Always.

Enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:24 AM

Lebron's spoiled brat attitude after the loss was appalling. And his comments yesterday even more appalling!

Last I heard he was the NBA MVP but his actions proved otherwise. Young people look up to him - what kind of message does this send to them? Does he think this is the way a "Global Icon" would act?

We continually hear the media talk about the "maturity of the young man (James)." Well, they got that all wrong. He only acts mature when things are going well.

It's bad enough that if an opposing team player breathes on him, he gets the call by using theatrics. Not to mention his totally disrespectful "Guitar Hero" act during the final minutes of the last Wizards/Cavs game.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 1, 2009 10:25 AM

Lebron is a class act. He was too upset to shake anyone's hand because he is a winner? Really, what have you won? The Akron boys basketball high school championship? Please, he is still a punk kid who makes stupid faces, cries, and can't give respect to a team that beat him. But don't worry all my friends from the Mistake by The Lake, Bron Bron will be a Knick real soon and you can go back to extending your 45 year championship drought.

Posted by: lavar609 | June 1, 2009 10:34 AM

After the Bulls finally broke through against the Pistons in the early 90's, the Pistons collectively left the floor without congratulating the Bulls and I can't remember anyone condoning what the Pistons did. LeBron needs to think really hard about this and apologize. I realize he's only 24 and that he's probably not a mature person yet but he is allegedly the team leader and team leaders show the rest of the team how to act. They do not walk off the court without congratulating an opponent and they don't make veiled references to their teammates not pulling their weight. He has to be the most arrogant player in the league. As much barking about other teams' behavior as LeBron James does, I have to believe he would say something if Dwight Howard had walked away like this if the Cavs had won. I would actually respect him for offering a heartfelt apology, one which does not explain his behavior due to him being "a winner". In this case, he's not.

I will not miss LeBron in the finals. I'm glad his team lost. It made my playoffs. Maybe now we can see fewer of those damn puppet commercials!

Posted by: jonathan30033 | June 1, 2009 10:35 AM

LaBron is a beast, but I won't miss watching the Cavs. The novelty of "wow that guy is huge and nimble" has worn off, and for the past few seasons watching the Cav's has been BOORING. That's more a comment on Mike Brown and the San Antonio coaching tree, than it is LaBron. Cavs games are often snoozers unless Bron does something superhuman - which actually does happen a few times.

The Nuggets, Magic and Lakers we're all so much more fun to watch than the Cavs. I really hope LaBron gets moved to the Knicks soon. That guy in Mike D'Antoni's offense would be unreal.

I am SOOOO excited to see Dwight Howard abuse the Lakers.

And tundey is very right about the vegies.

Posted by: cballer | June 1, 2009 10:37 AM

Know this Wizards fans....

Cavs > Wizards.

Always.

Enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:24 AM

We have a title and you still do not!!!!!!!!! Suck it middle america!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 1, 2009 10:47 AM

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 1, 2009 10:47 AM

Cavs > Wizards. Always. Forever.

Again, enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:51 AM

Mollycoddling and spoiling LeBron James (which the NBA, the officials, the media and the sponsors are shamelessly doing)has finally begun to pay the expected dividends: we now have an extremely talented player who can sell products, but who has not a modicum of self-restraint or reserve. In fact, LeBron's arrogance has been encouraged by all the above mentioned elements to the point where, if he HAD continued to be respectful or self-effacing it would have been indicative of something akin to sainthood. He's 14 years old and holds the world in the palm of his hand. He's wealthy and inordinately famous because of his physical stature and athleticism (no crimes in and of themselves), but the sycophantic "adults" in our society are responsible for having encouraged LeBron to show hubris. We may not like what we see in this young man's behavior, but let us not dismiss the financial greed that has motivated the media, the corporate sponsors and the National Basketball Association in having created this "monster".

Posted by: TrueFan1947 | June 1, 2009 10:54 AM

What a cry baby! Lebron should be the spokesman for Huggies diapers.

Posted by: Fontana1 | June 1, 2009 10:55 AM

Know this Cavs fan....

You're on the sidelines with us watching the parade go by.

Let me tell you a little story...

My worst year ever in sports was 1983 when the Redskins crushed everyone and set league records for scoring then got spanked in the Super Bowl. Was there any personal satisfaction for me? No. Was I going back to Eagles fans and bragging? No. Do Pats fans brag about their year from 2 years ago? No.

Dominating in the regular season means nothing if you get your azz kicked in the playoffs. It means you were closer to winning the big one THAT YEAR than a lot of other teams but that's it. When it all goes down, your team ends up losers in '09 just like mine.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 10:55 AM

"I am a winner" is not an intelligent thing to say (ever), especially after your team loses in a must-win situation. Especially when your team gets you the ball whenever you want it, and you play poorly in THE BIG GAME (game 6 was the make-or-break game as game 7 would have likely been a win for Cleveland).
Not shaking hands after a loss is one thing, but telling the world "I am a winner" to explain it means that Lebron doesn't have a handle on what it means to be a winner. This is not something that Michael, Larry or Magic would say (or be thinking) at that moment. I believe Bird's quote after a similar loss was, "Magic is the best there is." There is a time to celebrate yourself and there is a time to learn from the the other team that beat you in a well-earned victory, and at the same time, say something that shows you acknowledge that the other team did the job.
Either Lebron doesn't have the kind of mindset that the great ones have, or he is just not there yet. Time will tell.

Posted by: EconomicsTeacher | June 1, 2009 10:57 AM

The Kobe puppet doesn't look like Kobe. It looks more like Hedo Turkoglu with a deep tan.

Posted by: yop32 | June 1, 2009 10:59 AM

Lebron ball is all about one-on-one and let’s go to the foul line. The NBA needs to understand that this is boring basketball. Yes, Lebron is great, but passing, shot making, great movement is the beauty of the game. The hallmark of great NBA teams the Knicks of Walt Frasier, the Celtics of Russell or Bird, the great Laker teams were about TEAMS not one player going one on five. Even the great Michael Jordan could not win until being surrounded by some of the top players in history! Barkley has long criticized the coaching philosophy used by the Cavaliers. The blame belongs there. Cleveland needs a new coaching style if they truly want to become a great team. Right now, they succeed because the league wants Lebron. We all do. However, the NBA needs to sell the product, basketball, not the side show Lebron. This final is going to highlight great basketball AND great players. Well coached, great philosophy, great sharing, speed and athleticism. That is much better than “drive to the hoop and go to the line”.

Posted by: NewThoughts | June 1, 2009 11:03 AM

I remember about 3 seasons ago when Lebron walked up to Arenas at the line and spoke in his ear during a crucial free throw. Things like that will bite you in the you know what. I have no sympathy Lebron is a sore LOSSER

Posted by: ccrum87 | June 1, 2009 11:07 AM

Lebron is simply a spoiled brat! He think himself alone is the NBA and the greatest. We all know that no one can touch MJ. That's a terrible attitude and poor sportsmanship. He should be ashamed!!

Posted by: psock1 | June 1, 2009 11:11 AM

I will not miss "Crybon" a bit in the next two weeks...He is just a ghetto thug that by chance can play basketball, which is supposed to be a team game anyhow. In fact, I will predict right here right now that he never will win a NBA ring is his whole career.

Posted by: nowhine | June 1, 2009 11:16 AM

PSPS wherever u r i owe u a cold one

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 1, 2009 11:18 AM

My hate goes down smooth, with a 1983 orioles title, 3 skins SBs, and a Bullets ring.

Your town has the Indians....JUUUUUUUUST a bit outside hahahahahah!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 1, 2009 11:30 AM

Uh, did anyone notice the NY baseball cap he was wearing? What a Jerk.

Posted by: frankjomama | June 1, 2009 11:33 AM

Watching the Cavs choke in the playoffs is the only remedy following this past Wizards' season. Lebron is currently the best player in the league but his other antics and that of his D-list teammates makes them such an easy team to hate -- the lame "photo" pre-game cements everything I dislike about the Cavs. And it makes me laugh harder knowing that ad execs at Nike and Vitamin water and the NBA have being forced to re-think their entire strategy for this year's finals. Well, I guess Kobe upheld his end of the bargain.

Posted by: Chad32 | June 1, 2009 11:35 AM

Hell naw I won't miss LeBaby.

Easiest post ever made in the history of the internet.

Posted by: kbates1 | June 1, 2009 11:44 AM

LeBaby showed the rest of the world what Wizards fans already knew: that he's LeBaby.

LeBaby cares about one person and one person only: LeBaby. If he doesn't get what he wants, he cries.

When you get "beat down" by a team and lose to them, you man up and recognize their achievement and congratulate them. Hell, even BOXERS congratulate one another after losing, and they LITERALLY beat up on each other!!

This is just another nail in the LeBaby-to-Jay-Z's-team coffin...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | June 1, 2009 11:46 AM

The Cavs were *so* close. Just imagine, if they had had a Dominic McGuire type of backup swingman to play alongside LeBron, they probably would have beaten Orlando easily.

Aww. Too bad. Hahahahaha!

Posted by: yop32 | June 1, 2009 11:47 AM

4 points in the 4th Qtr of game 6 and 2-8 from three from the "winner". king james? more like the little prince. Hey bron lovers, where's your god now?

Posted by: Realness1 | June 1, 2009 11:54 AM

"PSPS wherever u r i owe u a cold one

Posted by: lilhollywood10"

Haha, thanks lilhollywood. It's almost hard to believe Orlando was 5:1 underdogs to win the series, and 13:1 to win the title just before the conference finals began. But Howard showed why he deserves mention right up there with Lebron, Kobe, and Wade. He's going to be an extremely tough matchup for years to come.

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 11:57 AM

Gonna miss LaBron???
Nah.
He's a super player but I won't miss him & the Cavs.
I guess it's like the Cowboys I root for whoever they are playing.
Not congratulating the Magic players after the game was WRONG. Anyone else, but maybe Kobe, cudda gotten away with it but not him.
Class????
None.
He says he's a winner.
What did he win???
I'd have to say he's a loser.
His statement made later did not help him.
Looks like I'm gonna root against Kobe too -- if I'm allowed up that late.

Posted by: VBFan | June 1, 2009 12:01 PM

I wouldn't mind a Kobe - LeBron series IF the media and folks covering the games wouldn't breathlessly be saying KobeLeBronKobeLeBronKobeLeBronKobeLeBronKobeLeBronKobeLeBron every second of the coverage. For that reason, I was dreading the Finals and probably wouldn't watch much of it as a result. I was hoping for a Denver - Orlando series, but now, with at least Orlando in the series, hopefully the announcers can focus on the teams rather than just two guys.

One great part of the Cavs loss is that after LeBron hit that three pointer to win Game 2, a lot of people wrote that that shot will top MJ's shot over Ehlo in Cleveland, and so that bad memory is vanquished. Not so fast -- LeBron's three pointer is meaningless in a series loss. Hahahahahaha.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | June 1, 2009 12:04 PM

...and the league now has a blueprint for beating you guys. It's the same one that was used for MJ pre-Pippen. Let Lebron whine and bull his way to 40 while we bottle up the rest of your below average team.

As for the question of whether I will m iss LeBron. No, sir. He's top 3 in this league in my book but no class. Even hockey players shake hands after matches despite knocking each others' teeth out. His conduct is inexcusable and unsportsmanlike. It exemplifies everything that we Wiz fans think about him. He's arrogant (perhaps deservedly because he's a great player hyped since junior high) and he has a sense of entitlement (hasn't won jack so don't know where this has come from).

Another thing, sportswriters need to get off his 'Planters' ands stop writing all this crap about LeBron being a great tight end in football if he wanted to be. The guy falls down and acts like he was shot every time someone puts a finger on him. he wouldn't last one set of downs in football...even college football.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 12:14 PM

There was a consideration to name the MVP at the end of the playoffs.

Conventional wisdom for that it was felt you really got a more better examination on who the MVP really is.

If I had to vote for the MVP today, I would vote Superman, Kobe, and then I would consider leaving Lebron completely off my list for his lack of respect and unsportsmanship.

Respect and Sportsmanship I thought was necessary considerations to be named MVP.

He might be NBA young, but the last time I checked, the learning curve for respect and sportsmanship is taught at a very young age.

I can't congratulate someone because I am a winner. No Lebron, you can't congratulate someone becuase you are a loser.

No matter how good Lebron you appear to be, until you understand what respect and sportsmanship is, you will always be a Loser.

The annoited one is a loser. I bet Kobe's is smiling so hard somewhere he can't wipe it off his face. Lebron James just fell harder than Goliath.

I alluded to this earlier, New York might not be what he thinks it is. D'Antoni I am not convinced is championship pedigree.

No Ring for the Loser for the next two years at least. I compared Lebron to a high flying Dominique Wilkins. Not any more.

Lebrons attitude destroys any comparison to any respectable NBA players past or present.

You say he needed to wait a day to cool off before he made his comments. Boy, what would he have said if he did not wait.

For, Lebron's sake, lets hope this is an aberration and he rights himself.

But right now, I AM LOVING IT.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 1, 2009 12:15 PM

Lebron is a spoile,cuddled A-hole and a bad sporstman. He even had the nerve to explain away his bad behavior which truthfully made him look al the worse. He was yupping it up taking imaginary photos when they were beating up on Atlanta and Detroit which in and of itself was unsportman like conduct but when he get his arsed kissed, he runs away like a little beatch and refuses to congratulate the other team. I believe in Karma and what you put out into the universe you will recieve tenfold, in other words he needs to quit believing his own hpye before he is brought down again a peg or two. If they had won, you best bet something would have been said if Dwight Howard had acted that way. All of his minions need to quit kissing his arse and tell him to own up and man up.

Congrats Orlando!

Posted by: ivyleague | June 1, 2009 12:15 PM

I really wish I had one of those #23 Lebron, Cry Baby tees that Papa John's blessed us with a couple seasons ago. Because wow, I really am speechless when it comes to his antics after game 6. What's crazy is I'm clearly a Wizards fan, and I'm a fan of good basketball and quality-good-to-great basketball players. Lebron is an amazing player. But I really have a love-hate type of opinion of the guy. What he does on the court, is amazing. I've seen comments to the media during post-games that were mature, well-thought out respectful comments. "MR. NBA" type comments. But every now and then, he'll say something that makes you raise an eyebrow. Or he'll cry and moan more than the average superstar. That's where the "hate" comes in.

But walking off the court after you were just sent home for the year, with no thought of acknowledging the other team. WOW! Not even a wave to one or two players on your way off the court. That's the kind of move you expect from players known to have bad attitudes. Not from your "MR. NBA" types. And his explanation waaay after the fact was horrible. Are you serious. He shakes hands when they win, says the "right" things when they win. But when you get sent home, you got nothing at all. I mean acknowledge the other team, and skip the post-game press conference at least. I understand being mad and not having anything positive to say, so it's best to not speak. But give credit where it's due. YOU LOST, to the better team. You try to give a guy credit and he gives you more reasons to take it back. GOOD GRIEF!!!

Posted by: LIKWID | June 1, 2009 12:15 PM

I wanted it to be Cavs vs Nuggets, but whatever. The league clearly had its preferred matchup, and I'm glad it got blown up regardless. The Cavs will never win one w/ Lebron until they add at least one player whose a consistent enough scorer that they can't be left to go double him. Without that, he can score 50 and they still lose when it counts.

As for all this Lebron-to-the-Knicks talk, if he does go there then he's an idiot. That team is so chock full of Fail that even with him they'd be lucky to have a break-even season. He's a star anyway, if he'd rather be a star on a bad team than on a good one then his priorities are screwed.

Posted by: toiletminded | June 1, 2009 12:18 PM

I love the MVP commercials though. Now they need to make one where Lebron is crying off in the corner. And Kobe walks over and gives him a box of kleenex. Or better yet, they can make up a Dwight Howard puppet and have him lone Lebron his cape to dry his tears on.

Posted by: LIKWID | June 1, 2009 12:19 PM

Know this Wizards fans....

Cavs gt Wizards.

Always.

Enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:24 AM

Thanks for visiting Mr. Lee's blog to discuss whether we would miss Lebron in the NBA finals. As you know, the Cleveland team is not real popular in Metro Washington DC mainly due to Lebron James being perceived as a spoiled whiner loser. I don't know of any other player and team right now where the star makes it known that he rules the roost. I prefer a Dwayne Wade or Melo Anthony attitude to the rest of the team.
As for the Cavaliers being better than the Wizards, actually in the regular season, Wizards record against the Cavaliers wasn't too bad, regardless of who played and who didn't:
Dec. 25 at Cleveland Cavaliers L 89 - 93
Jan. 4 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers W 80 - 77
Apr. 2 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers W 109 - 101
Apr. 8 at Cleveland Cavaliers L 86 - 98

Posted by: rickgonz | June 1, 2009 12:22 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer the initial question. NO, won't miss him in the finals. Although, I was intrigued about the possibility of seeing maybe one or two Kobe v. Lebron shoot-outs. But I'm not sad, I won't see it. TRUST ME!

And I agree @ toiletminded, about the league preferred matchup getting tanked. That's what they get, for being that blatant in their desire for a preferred matchup v. a more deserved one.

Posted by: LIKWID | June 1, 2009 12:24 PM

Posted by: psps23 | June 1, 2009 11:57 AM

I lost the bet but i still don't think it's all dwight. There's argument to be made about him making the players around him better( C.Barkley) but i still don't agree. He passed well in game 6 and guys hit shots. i'm not spittin on his 40 pts, but turkey, lewis and pietrus carried him more than he carried the team. I questioned whether they'd be able to shoot lights out all series and for the most pare they did. I think that it was the timely contributions from alston lee and even gortat that got them over the hump.
every game was close and if u remember i said how wouldn't go for 30 after gm 1 (didn't happen til his 40 in gm 6) lewis wouldn't go over 22 again (don't think he did) and turkey wouldn't go over 25 again. If it weren't for peitrus,alston,lee dwight alone wouldn't have gottten them there. goin to luch get back to yall in an hour

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 1, 2009 12:25 PM

Let us consider all the championship teams from Cleveland in the last 40 years. Well, that didn't take long. LeBron is in the right place. Loser! His whining is only surpassed by that of Verajao. What a piece of crap that guy is. A collective group of whiners actually . I am so glad they lost.

Posted by: chopin224 | June 1, 2009 12:28 PM

Lebron is an arrogant ahole. I can't stand the guy and am glad he's not in the finals. I hope he never makes it to a championship series.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | June 1, 2009 12:32 PM

Different topic. The season before last, let's look at D Howard's stats against the Wiz. His season averages against the entire league..

20.7 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 2.1 bpg 60% fg

Here's what BTH and DH did when matched up against each other

dh 17p, 15r, 3bl, 64% Wiz loss
bth 10p, 16r, 5bl, 56%

dh 20p, 11r, 0b, 58% Wiz loss
bth only 18 minutes, foul trouble

dh 3p, 14r, 1b 167% Wiz win
bth 10p, 11r, 2b, 44%

dh only 12 minutes, blowout Wiz loss
bth only 8 minutes blowout

Looks to me like BTH plays DH pretty well all things considered. It's another reason we should feel pretty good about our chances in this conference. We know we can beat the Cavs and we know HOW to beat Orlando. We still have no answer for Turkoglu but at least we don't get slaughtered in the middle by Howard. Of course, DH will start to get the superstar calls against BTH now.

Posted by: original_mark | June 1, 2009 12:37 PM

I think LBJ could take some pointers from Rafa Nadal on how to handle a disappointing loss.

For that matter, from Kobe, too. For all the stuff KB takes, he always faces the music, win or lose. We might not always like what he has to say, but he shows up regardless.

Posted by: nittanybruin | June 1, 2009 12:42 PM

No way. Magic are far more interesting than the Cavs. And they will probably win it all because they have the best coach in the game. Van Gundy is coaching circles around all his peers. He was by far the best coach in the final 4. Dude is nails. And what Mike Brown does I'm still not sure. Watched his assistants draw up both offensive and defensive plays in the final minutes. So what does that dude actually do. Coach of year?? Are you kiddin me??!!

Posted by: dovelevine | June 1, 2009 12:43 PM

Tell you what, if Van Gundy had been coaching the Cavs, they probably woulda defeated the Magic. That's how much of a difference that guy makes.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 1, 2009 12:43 PM

Whoops...didn't even answer the original question. Sure, I wouldn't have minded seeing KB/LBJ head-to-head, but there's a few years left to get that matchup.

For now, I'm going to enjoy watching The Zen Master come up with a plan to stop D12 and this crazy, NBA version of the run-and-shoot. Conversely, I want to see if the Magic have it in them to stop the "other" MVP, or at least the guys around him, as well as they did the Cavs'.

I think this series might be better than many expect.

Posted by: nittanybruin | June 1, 2009 12:47 PM

LeBron could win games on his own when he was in high school, but he needs to learn NBA basketball is a team sport and the other players are as big, fast and physical as he is now.

MJ had to learn how to get his teammates involved before he won a championship. The only difference is MJ knew how to lose with class! MJ also had the benefit of playing for Dean Smith.

Kobe has learned (since Shaq left) how to play the game and gets his teammates involved in the game early so they do not end up standing around to what he’s going to do.

Everyone in life needs to eat some humble pie before getting to the top.

Bottom line I am a Wizards fan and my season ended when EJ got fired and they were 1-10, so no I do not care LeBron is in the finals.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 1, 2009 12:54 PM

Know this Wizards fans....

Cavs > Wizards.

Always.

Enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:24 AM

NOT UNTIL HE BOLTS FOR THE NEW YORK KNICKS...WILL YOU LIKE THE CAVS THEN? BANDWAGON ENGINEER

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 1, 2009 12:54 PM

Will he stay or go???
If he stays he has a pretty good supporting cast. No matter what C Barkley says.
If he goes he is gonna be surrounded by 2nd tier players for a year or more. And it will take a while to get into the East finals let alone the Final Finals --- if he stays in the east. I'd like to see him in NYC. That's where he belongs. Too bad Kobe has Hollywood locked up. Maybe L'bron ends up with the Clippers. That would be fun.

His best chance is to stay in Cleveland.

Posted by: VBFan | June 1, 2009 12:57 PM

original_mark,

We all know that league officials often blow whistles based on a player's perceived status. (How often do we hear that commentators say "he won't get that call as a rookie?")

I am afraid that now Howard got the recognition, and the whistles will be going his way.

Posted by: sagaliba | June 1, 2009 12:59 PM

WATCHIN LEBRON LOSE IS LIKE WATCHIN THE COYGIRLS LOSE, AND IMA SKINS FAN TILL THE DAY IM NOT BREATHIN SO TODAY I AM FEELIN GREAT!!

PS- i got my bread on KOBE any takers?

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | June 1, 2009 1:09 PM

Actually, Yes. I would have love to see the two best basketball players in the world to go at it. However....Those that defend LeCrybaby are just as foolish as him. This fool played his BEST and STILL got his butt wooped. That is the reason why he RAN off the court. Some advice for LeBron, do not begin games by throwing baby power in the air. Do not jump, make faces, grandstand, take air pictures or air gestures before, during and after a game. LeBron reped what he sow. He really has no class. When things (foul calls, plays, commercials, games) go his way, he is the most "mature" young player in the game. LeBron is the MVP for this season. No doubt. But he has some extreme growing up to being the franchise of the NBA. Remember a few years back, Kobe has done and made some stupid decision. Well here LeBron's first. Isiah Thomas, one of my all time favorite players, did this to Michael and the Bulls and he NEVER recovered from that move. Because of the move, he was left off the original Dream Team. Right now, LeBron has TOO Much starpower to be shun off by the NBA. But we Wizards fans saw this behavior each and everytime we play the Cavs. Great player, but he has a real poor attitude.

Posted by: sean_mac | June 1, 2009 1:09 PM

I wil miss LeBron like a I miss Jay Leno.

LeBron showed what a gutless, entitled, egomaniac he is. Glad he was finally exposed. If I were Cleveland, I would trade him for a BOUNTY kinda like how the Cowboys traded Herschel Walker for so much back in 1990.

Posted by: EGTuna | June 1, 2009 1:10 PM

No way am I going to miss him. Any time the media starts to hype a series like it's destined to be I tend to go in the other direction. What's the fun on jumping onto the big wheel? Upsets are what make watching the playoffs interesting like the NCAA tournament. Go Magic!

Posted by: richs91 | June 1, 2009 1:15 PM

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

HE's A WINNER???????

Posted by: VBFan | June 1, 2009 1:16 PM

Lebron's remark explaining why he walked off the court without congratulating the Magic was weak and lame. He's a punk and with a attitude like that he deserved to lose. PUNK!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | June 1, 2009 1:18 PM

No way Lebron would have walked off the court w/o congratulating Kobe. Him walking off shows more disrespect for DHoward in a 'I gotta respect and show my fellow superstar some love' type way than anything. #lebronfail

Posted by: jansjay | June 1, 2009 1:28 PM

What he needed to do was go to college so he could get a biology degree and make serious positive moves on cloning himself. Nothing is sports could make me happier than the way dwight howard pimp-slapped everyone's basketball messiah.

Posted by: bford1kb | June 1, 2009 1:35 PM

>>"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner.

Guess he thought all those Hawks players and all those Pistons players who actually have rings were just a bunch of losers. What a punk.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 1, 2009 1:44 PM

I keep reading the title of this blog as "Miss LeBron" :)

Posted by: tundey | June 1, 2009 2:17 PM

and we're all such good losers that we bash lebron at every opportunity just because he breaks our hearts when he beats the wiz. walking off at the end of a game was a poor reaction especially with all the kids that idolize and support him, but i can think of worse things to do and be villified for. Be happy those of you who wanted the cavs and specifically lebron to lose. other than that do you want to bash the dude for putting on his left shoe before the right. he's still a 24 year old kid, how well did you take rejection or tru dejection when you were 24. I don't approve of his reaction, but i understand his point. he lost and he was sore.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 1, 2009 2:45 PM

I'm tired of hearing that he in "only" 24...thats just pycho tripe from other millenium whiners that can't seem to grow up..Does his mom still pick out his clothes, wipe his rear, give him nite-nite kisses, pack a bag lunch?

No, but he has other hanger-on's and a "posse" that enables him....

He is a punk, will always be a punk, and when his knees go at about 30 something..King James will be a punk with bad knees that nobody cares about...

Posted by: nowhine | June 1, 2009 3:09 PM

Not only will I not miss watching him, I'm happy that we're seeing signs that the Crab Dribbler might turn into Wilt 2 -- a dominating player who lacks the basketball IQ or leadership (or both), to make those around him better. Everyone's blaming the supporting cast -- and they're not great -- but players seem to get worse the longer they are with the Cavs. Maybe it's Brown, maybe it's BronBron, maybe it's the water, but something is not right with that team.

And just to prove I'm not a totally bitter Wiz fan, I will say that if LeTravel learns how to REALLY be a winner, matches his game with 12 other lesser players, wins 10 titles, and makes us all forget about Jordon -- then that will be great to watch too. Right now, he's not used to losing, being stood up to, or needing anyone else, but if he learns to deal with it with some grace (as I suspect he will), then he'll be an even more deserving champion.

Of course, unlike Wilt -- where the rules and refs were set to make it harder for him -- LeBron could now get the benefit of even softer treatment from the league. My nightmare is seeing him take 6 steps (the Centipede Dribble?), check for blood on his lips 13 times (resulting in 13 suspensions for Andray Blatche), shoot 25 free throws, punch BTH in the neck, and beat the Wiz in game 7s for the next 10 years.

Posted by: mik_smith1 | June 1, 2009 4:46 PM

LeBron's behavior after the Game 6 loss brough back memories of Detroit walking off the court without congratulating Chicago back in 1991. When a team (or in this case) an individual fails to acknowledge an opponent, it shows their true colors. LeBron has been so promoted by the NBA, the media, and his sponsors, he no longer has any concept of how to act. At a minimum, he should have apologized the following day, but his advisors/Cleveland management failed to give him good advice. A 'winner' as he calls himself also shows good sportsmanship whether they win or lose.

I've always felt that LeBron was a whiner who was protected by the refs, but respected him as a great player. I now have no respect for him and will continue to root against whoever he plays for in the future.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 1, 2009 4:54 PM

I could care less since I have not watched an NBA game in over twenty years. I would rather watch a high school hockey game than watch these lazy bastards trot up and down the court and then read about their latest weapons or assault charges.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 1, 2009 5:54 PM

"I had him Bunk, I had Stringer on the Wire. I had him...and he doesn't even know it"

As Jimmy McNulty stares blankly over the dead body of Stringer Bell, he expresses the greatest disappointment a man in his line of work can ever have. For years and years, he had been building a case against Stringer Bell. At one point he even enlisted his young children to follow String in the Baltimore northeast market. And he finally, after all those years of hard work which had destroyed his marriage, turned him into an depressing alcoholic, and ruined his life, he finally had reach his goal...he had Stringer discussing a murder on the wire tap.

Only to find out the very next day Stringer didn't live to see his fate.

!#?(&(xe!#^%#^$!!!>/!6*!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you LeBron James and the Cleveland Traveliers!!! Damn you to hell!!! The Lakers were going to humiliate you in the NBA finals!!!! I had predicted it all year long!!!!! I had you!!! And you don't even know it!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2009 6:18 PM

Wow,
I knew it was not going to be any kind of LeBron lovefest here today, but I think I actually underestimated the lack of love for LeBron around here.

The guy's definitely no angel, and there's room to beef about how he expects calls, crab dribbles and plays rough. But honestly, not shaking hands/speaking to the media after a tough loss isn't the worst thing in the world. Besides that and going 101 mph in a 65, LeBron really hasn't been anything but good for the NBA.

I understand he's a jerkwad to the Wizards, talks smack and has more than a few players he doesn't get along with -- on other teams as well as the Wizards -- but saying he isn't making his team better? Really? He's got by far the weakest supporting cast in the final four ... that team honestly should be nowhere near the Finals.

Okay, carry on :)

Posted by: Keith McMillan | June 1, 2009 6:33 PM

How can I miss him?
Do you all know what we can do about his act?
We have to teach him by not voting him for the coming all star game. Please post it every where, he does not deserve it. When he fail to show the right sportmanshim he is disrespecting the fan,game and NBA.If NBA fail to punish him we have to punish him.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 1, 2009 6:49 PM

3rd option on the poll.

"I just want to see a competitive Final".

LeBron is irrelevant. He's on the team that's second best in the Eastern Conference. Let's see what the best team in the Eastern Conference can do.

I also don't see the big deal in LeBron's post-game walk out. It would have been really unclassy if he'd trashed teammates and opponents in a fit of rage.

Better to say nothing at all, and wait until the emotions simmer down before speaking. That's maturity.

As far as not seeing Cleveland in the Finals, yeah I'm happy to see Orlando in the Finals. A large part of that is because I like watching Team basketball. Right now Orlando is playing better Team basketball than Cleveland. LeBron needs a better supporting cast. If Cleveland had been able to swing the deal for Jamison this year, they would probably be in the Finals right now.

Posted by: JPRS | June 1, 2009 6:52 PM

LeTravel, while undeniably a great player, is incredibly arrogant and has no class. It was a tough season for the Wiz--but attending the infamous "crabdribble" game in person, and seeing the Crabaliers lose to the Magic makes it all worthwhile. Can't wait to go to the Cleveland games next year wearing a Magic jersey to remind the Crabs and their hubristic, johnny-come-lately fans of their utter failure in the conference finals. GO WIZARDS!!!

Posted by: thebone | June 1, 2009 6:53 PM

H-e-double L, no.!!!! Now maybe I watch.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 1, 2009 7:09 PM

The best #5 and his team are in the finals. The best #2 player and his team are NOT. WE need a smash-mouth #5. The only one on the draft board this year which has that potential in three to five years is THABEET.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 1, 2009 7:13 PM

Know this Wizards fans....

Cavs > Wizards.

Always.

Enjoy your hate

Posted by: popopo | June 1, 2009 10:24 AM

Hilarious. Suffer the indignity of loss by coming to the Wizards forum to remember what it's like to be better than someone.

it's like you lost on the big kids court so you go over to where the elementary school kids are playing so you can feel good about yourself again.

As for the Cavs being better than the Wizards. No **** sherlock. We have a tough time saying we're better than anybody with 19 wins to back it up.

Cherry picker

Posted by: crs-one | June 1, 2009 7:38 PM

LeB's a great player but distorts the game. The Magic are far more of a team than the Cavs. I appreciate everyone yelling to the league that we're getting bored watching superstars go one-on-one in order to make inevitable contact and stop the game again for a long visit to the foul line.

Posted by: whitecatuhcl | June 1, 2009 7:42 PM

Wow,

Okay, carry on :)

Posted by: Keith McMillan | June 1, 2009 6:33 PM

Don't get us wrong, Keith. Most of us recognize, deep down, that LeBron is an incredible player and worthy of most of the recognition he receives.

Which makes everything even worse! It would be so much easier to hate him if he couldn't back up so much.

I have to admit. It's simply fun to hate the Cavaliers and Lebron...but it's just a band-aid for when we can actually root against the Cavs because they're head to head with the wizards...as opposed to what we have now, which is hate for the sake of having something to root for.

Posted by: crs-one | June 1, 2009 7:55 PM

I was glad to see the Cavs lose,but LaSpoil has no class.LJ the calls did'nt go your way;and now that you are out of the Finals,the Kobe & Labron thing is over(I hope).

Posted by: DCTONY | June 1, 2009 9:03 PM

LeBron's social maturity hasn't quite caught up w/his physical maturity. He's still a young boy -- 24. This won't be the last dumb move he makes. Not saying that failing to shake hands is cool, but hell, it was a "young boy" move.

I don't hate him; he's a true beast. I just like the way that Orlando outworked/outTHOUGHT Cleveland, that's all...

LB has plenty more years in the NBA left to win championships, in Cleveland, or, somewhere else.

Posted by: ntlekt | June 1, 2009 9:18 PM

CRS,
Good points. I'm definitely not saying I've never enjoyed watching another team lose, or rooted against a player that a lot of other people love *cough*TO*cough.

This wasn't a good episode for the guy, but I think we're a long way from LeBron being completely classless ... He's generally pretty polished. And I see, CRS, why that makes him even more of a rival.

Living here in D.C., you definitely train your eye to see a side of LeBron that a lot of folks seem to glaze over.

Wilbon tackles the handshake thing in his latest column, FWIW:

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 1, 2009 9:21 PM

And the comments there aren't exactly off to a LeBron-loving start:

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 1, 2009 9:28 PM

i will miss mocking his crab dribble.
That is all.

Posted by: gconrads | June 1, 2009 9:29 PM

Lebron is going to screw up big time soon. I'm talking Michael Vick big. Look at his 'business team' of highschool buddies riding his coattails. The NBA has seminars for new players precisely instructing them not to hire such peers, time and time again they lead to the downfall of star athletes. But Lebron is so arrogant he thinks that's for everyone else, not him. He's going to crash and burn if he doesn't get it together soon. Sadly, no one around him has the courage to tell him he's screwing up and most of the media is too star struck to point it out. We just saw an early warning sign in his terrible sportsmanship, surely there is more to come.

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | June 1, 2009 9:50 PM

Queen James maybe the one of the best athletes but he is not the best basketball player. I would compare James to a straight ahead big runner in football (Herschel Walker). Colby, Wade have moves and they both know how to play D. They both can play in the post and James has no post game nor does he want the contact in the post. Hell Mellow would eat him up.

I was so glad to see cry baby lose the way the NBA was hyping him before he has won anything. Let me say this again he has won nothing. Colby has 3 rings working on 4 and Wade has 1. Both had Shaq but Shaq didn't play much with Wade in the finals. Wade just took over.

Being that Boston, Orlando, Lakers, Denver are young teams that will get better also which means he may never get one. If he keep listening to the media about how bad his teammates are no one will want to play with him. His teammates where in the finals last year and they had the best won lost record this year. Cavs stop playing team ball and started playing LeBron ball. If they win it's all LeBron. They lost and now it's his teammates. I did not see LeBron gaurd anyone the whole series. Look at LeBron for his real game and not the highlights.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 1, 2009 9:52 PM

I completely disagree ZeroHero.

The team of guys around him are precisely why he won't screw up big-time. The guys LeBron works with aren't hangers-on, they're all accomplished in their own rights (employed & college grads, at least).

Dare I say this episode with LeBron is actually a little endearing? Everything about him up until now seemed so polished, so well-planned, so calmly executed.

Kobe Bryant is actually not a bad comparison. For some reason Kobe came off as fake when he was so polished, and something about LeBron seems more genuine. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet we'll never see a major mid-career mishap from LeBron like we did with Kobe.

I think it's really hard for a genuine person to act in a way most of the public approves of 24-7. We all would have some mishaps if we were in his shoes.

If bad sportsmanship is the worst thing he ever does in the public eye, that'd be a pretty big accomplishment. Even Jordan messed up worse than that.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 1, 2009 9:58 PM

This "handshake" term is an anomoly. They only hug and hi-five these days. Not like the good old times.

Oldtimer

Posted by: boyn4884 | June 2, 2009 9:07 AM

LeBron, the self-proclaimed "Global Icon" is a great ball player but a fraud when it comes to his character.

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | June 2, 2009 10:00 AM

Has nothing to do with any supposed rivalry between the Wiz and Cavs.

I prefer to watch teams that have deep talent in different places. I used to be a fan of the old Sac Kings with Webber, Divac, Stoiachovic, Williams (and later Bibby), Christy, Barry, etc.

It was fun to watch them, their ball movement, their spectacular passes, their many contributions from all over court.

Orlando has one of their all stars on the IR list (Nelson). It hasn't slowed them down at all. They are deep and exciting to watch.

Everyone knows that if Lebron suffered a Gilbert Arenas type of injury, the Cleveland Cavaliers wouldn't even be in the playoffs. They live and die by Lebron's health and play. That's not exciting to me. I'd rather watch singles tennis if I wanted to see a one man show.

Posted by: Independent11 | June 2, 2009 11:41 AM

To Michael Lee and everyone else: This is no surprise to me in regards to Lebron James' arrogance and blatantly disrespect to fans and people around him. He does think he's better than everyone else, and we have the media to thank for that, including his sponsors, the National Basketball Association, and others that are responsible for hyping this young man up to be the person that he is.

I remember when Allen Iverson sponsored a baseball game here in the Washington, DC area at the Baysox Field in Bowie, MD. The fans and people were calling Lebron's name over and over, and hes was in the direction of the fans where he could have wave his hands to acknowledges the crowds present, but instead he turned his back. I was so upset, and there were other people that were upset too.

My problem with all of this is, he's was hyped up to be this wonderful person, and he may be, but according to his behavior what the commentators, the media, and others claim, we as the NBA fans no matter what team we root for, do not see but arrogance, disrespect, no class, a person who thinks he does no wrong, he acts as if it's not his way then it's no way at all, and is that what the NBA really stands for?? They brush certain players issues under the rug when it soothes them? I may even the officials helps this guy out all the time. If you breathe on him, a call is being made, but everyone else are receiving flagrants, technicals, suspensions, foul and everything you can name but him. It's funny because this is the man you all call the Most Valuable Player and Valuable stands for more than what he has displayed as a human being, as a person, as a star, as a role model, but most of all as a NBA player who people enjoy watching or people looked up too. It isn't fair what they have allowed him to do. So no, I will not miss him at all, and I'm glad that the other two classy teams have made it to the NBA Finals. One thing I can say about Kobe, even though some of you all may not like him, when he made that mistake in Denver, this man was sincere and not only did he apologize to his wife on National Television even if he felt that's what he needed to do, he apologized to his fans, his team, his coaching staff, the public and his sponsors, and that's what class is all about, owning up to your mistakes and being gracious enough to say I apologize and do the right thing, and move on. Other players have did the same, so why can't Lebron?

Posted by: feliciajoyner01 | June 3, 2009 1:11 PM