Oberto, Stevenson Update

The Wizards plan to sign and formally introduce Fabricio Oberto in a press conference some time early next week. Oberto agreed to terms with the Wizards last week and will have to pass a physical prior to signing his deal. Though he had a heart procedure this summer to correct an irregular heartbeat, a team source told me that the Wizards had spoken with doctors about Oberto's heart condition and that it wasn't a concern. The same source said that Oberto was probably the last move this offseason.

I know there has been some concern about DeShawn Stevenson, who had back surgery in March and hasn't played basketball since late January. Well, I can inform you that Stevenson is currently in Vancouver this week, working with renowed physical therapist Alex McKechnie. McKechnie is the athletic performance coordinator for the Los Angeles Lakers and has helped players such as Shaquille O'Neal, Grant Hill and Pau Gasol come back from serious injuries. O'Neal credits McKechnie for bringing his career back to life after O'Neal suffered an abdominal strain during the 1997-98 season. I covered Theo Ratliff in Atlanta and Ratliff always praised McKechnie for helping him come back from an assortment of injuries. McKechnie created the innovative "Core X" system, which stengthens the abs, core, upper body and lower body.

Stevenson's financial advisor hooked him up with McKechnie and they set up his summer workout plans when the Lakers were in Orlando during the NBA Finals. Stevenson is hoping to bounce back from his worst season in Washington, when back troubles limited him to just 32 games, 6.6 points and a career-low 31.2 percent shooting. He had started three full seasons before then.

The Wizards' schedule has yet to be finalized but I heard that the season will likely start on the road and there won't be any Christmas Day games for the local five. I'll be back with more on that later.

As for Stevenson, you can catch him on ustream.com. You'll see that he has let his beard grow back in full. His vlogs are sort of silly, but don't worry, he hasn't gone all Stephon Marbury/Category Five Crazy. Marbury, if you didn't know, has been making a complete fool of himself videotaping his life for the past week and I think Marbury has reached another level of insane. It's quite sad, really. I know Antawn Jamison had some nice things to say about Marbury during summer league, but I think you can really slam shut the door and throw away the key for Marbury possibly having a reunion with Flip Saunders this season. I don't see how any team signs Marbury now.

By Michael Lee  |  July 31, 2009; 12:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odom Stays in LA
Next: Stevenson Unplugged

Comments

First...again?

I was wondering what was going on with DeShawn. Hopefully he bounces back, we can never have enough good perimeter defenders or spot up shooters.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 31, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think that my comment on the previous post was responsible for this, but alas, you did so much work to get this post, that you must have been working on it already.

Thanks for the info. I like DeShawn and hope he recovers fully and has a great year for us.

Posted by: Blurred | July 31, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

You know people ought to think twice when they take pictures and do video of themselves.

That was like looking at a horror movie.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 31, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It is like when you step outside your home, you got to be correct. It is like when your mom and pop always required you to never leave home without clean underwear.

I know his grandmother is going DeSteve, Whats wrong baby, Did you get any sleep last night, DeSteve, DeSteve, Oh my God, you look like you hung over son, Oh, my poor Baby.

LarryInClintonMD.
And I know this

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 31, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn is win and he will be our starting 2 guard when we make it to the Finals

and lebron is overrated

Posted by: prescrunk | July 31, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Looked like he took too much pain killer for his back. LOL!

Posted by: sagaliba | July 31, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I probably give Deshawn the most flack on this blog, but I hope he comes back healthy and can return to the 40% 3pt shooter and decent defender he was when he first signed with us. Maybe he can play a Lindsey Hunter role for us as a lockdown defender off the bench. But in no way shape or form should he even sniff the starting lineup. The way the east is stacking up, there will be no room for error. I think the east will replicate what the West did a few years back and put 8 teams in the playoffs with 50 wins or more.

Posted by: CBell29 | July 31, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Dull day so I thought I'd take a look at the Mike James for Antonio Daniels trade, which seems not to have done much for either club. Daniels played in 61 games, started 4 times (behind Chris Paul), averaged only 12 minutes, had a FG% of 42.4 (34.7% 3 pointers), and provided 2.1 assists, 1 rb, and a bit less than 4 points a game. He was even less of a factor in NO's five playoff games, averaging 13 minutes and shooting 16% from the field. His EFF was a puny 2.22

James we all followed. He started 50 games, averaged around 30 minutes, and produced a bit less than 9 points, 3.6 assists, and 1.7 TOs. His shooting percentage was 38.7, but that's explained by his dependence on the 3 pointer (about 32% of his made field goals).

Of course, the team didn't win. That's the real problem. At first it appeared Mike would lift the club, then it appeared he wouldn't. Now, at 34, he's a contract to be unloaded.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 31, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like his back is fine :)

Posted by: lk11 | July 31, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the biggest pre-training camp question is whether Oberto or Blatche will wear number 7 (shown in the picture.)
DeShawn has not been a game breaker since his knee injury years ago.
The actual big question is Gilbert - do we see the flash of old, a Gilbert who has had to learn the game, or some sort of shell? There will be a "starter" at the 2 position, every game, at the moment you could put the names into a hat and pull one and it wouldn't make 5 points difference.
The second question is the front court. Could Dom become strong enough to be a Rodman? Offense may get a team to the playoffs, but defense is necessary to win.

Posted by: lrmc623 | July 31, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn and Mike James ought to join Tapscott in the Wizard alumni association as soon as possible.

Posted by: Izman | July 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

When was DeShawn ever a gamebreaker? LMAO

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 31, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Samson151, James I could take or leave (mostly leave), but I always felt Crittendon was more key to that trade. Daniels was a steady hand (which we could have used more of last year, but who knows how much he would have helped). In Critt we get a kid who has size, a lot of athletic ability, is still learning to play the game and is only 21.

I liked Daniels as a back up PG, but especially last year when they were clearly goin nowhere, I was willing to let them take a shot with Critt and see what they had. Turns out he's got a ways to go. I'm ok with that. Especially now with a tutor like Cassell, I'm interested to see if they can bring his game together. I've always equated him to Chauncey Billups. Not saying that he'll be that good, but Chauncey also bounced around a bit before his game matured. Hopefully Critt can develop for us in the same way.

Posted by: ts35 | July 31, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Hansbrough is out up to 2 months with an injury. Too bad, he was playing well in Vegas.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 31, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Crit as Chauncey-- we can hope. Actually, I hope all of our point guards start to play a little more like Chauncey. Our PGs are pretty big, especially compared to the rest of the Eastern Conference. Our PGs should have a mismatch in the post most nights.

Somehow, all of the big PGs with the strength and skills to battle for position in the post have ended up in the Western Conference- Chauncey, JKidd, DWilliams, BDavis, Andre Miller, etc.

Posted by: yop32 | July 31, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Getting James was the short term goal in the Daniels trade (because they believed he'd add scoring to their anemic backcourt; ooops!), but Crittenton was seen as the long-term value-added.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 31, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

One thing I've seen watching Flip over the years, If he finds a matchup that works he'll ride it again and again.

He's more of a typical NBA coach in that regard, Eddie wanted people to be running his system. Flip will do more of calling a play to get a guy in position to work his mismatch. Only thing is Flip might call seven different plays that works the ball to the same mismatch.

He'll force the other coach to burn a timeout to get the abused player off the floor. I think we'll see very little of a guy that's burning up the cords suddenly sitting down for a quarter and a half.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 31, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"GA, JC, RF- our guys should all be able to back down and exploit Mo Williams, Jameer Nelson, Rondo, etc."

I wouldn't make book on that. Rondo is already one of the best defensive PGs in the NBA. And Jameer Nelson is built like a fire hydrant. He may be short, but he's strong. He's not going to be easily bullied, esp. by guys who aren't particularly adept at operating out of the post offensively.

Just because a guard has a size advantage doesn't make him a post player, I remember how Isaiah Thomas's eyes would light up whenever he'd play Muggsy Bogues. He'd try to get Muggsy on his back and bully him down low, but half the time all the Pistons got out of it was a turnover, an offensive foul, or a bad shot, because Thomas wasn't used to operating the point out of the post and his teammates weren't used to playing with him in the paint.

It's only an advantage if you know how to take advantage of it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 31, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope DS gets well soon with his back.

I also hope he's done here with Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 31, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Marbury can be a fool with his video camera, but he's the ultimate fool for paying $45+ mil to buy an airplane.

And you wonder how pro athletes go broke.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 31, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Back surgery is an all or none situation.If stevenson get all ,there is no question for him to get back to his starting position.People undermine his out side shooting and his understanding of his role.The main problem of our young players is lack of understanding their role.AB wants to be a point Gard, NY wants tobe agent Zero.If NY use his 6.6-6.7 rare size to defend and drive to the basket he could be one of the best Gards.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 31, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"It's only an advantage if you know how to take advantage of it."

True. But there's definitely an opportunity there. The season doesn't start for three more months, and one of our assistant coaches was among the best in the business at posting up as a PG. Get 'er done.

Posted by: yop32 | July 31, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Eddie wanted people to be running his system." -GM
It's one of the things that bothered me about Jordan, he seemed unwilling to adapt his strategy to his personnel rather the personnel regardless of their various attributes had to adapt to Princeton style offense.

As far as Stephenson starting, I was hoping to Miller might get a run at the shooting guard slot. Miller has a quick release off the dribble, he's unselfish, a good passer, gets to the rim and can finish and has a better FG% than Stephenson from anywhere on the floor.

Posted by: midlevex | July 31, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"Get 'er done.:

Not that simple. It takes more than 3 months to take a perimeter player who's not adept or used to playing with his back to the basket and turning him into a post player. They've been trying to turn Blatche into a post player for 4 years (with Jordan regularly getting crucified for supposedly mishandling Blatche by doing so). Now you want them to transform Arenas and Crittenton into post players overnight?

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 31, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, at least, has a pretty decent back-to-the-basket game already.

Here's one scouting report:
"Can post up smaller guards."

Posted by: yop32 | July 31, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

foye will be starting at the 2 hes better than stevenson and miller.

stevenson's playing time will be gone because nick young is coming into his own.

basically he is trade bait

Posted by: mrhney03 | July 31, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least for his own sake, I hope DSteve gets healthy again. Having a bad back injury really sucks.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | July 31, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

...just wondering why Dsteve's finance people hook him up with rehab direction. Are not the Wiz crack medical staff supposed to be involved in this kind of thing?

I do look forward to more of Dsteve's unfiltered WaaBron constructive critism, mix that with some Shaq-foo yakking, and wining and crying from you know who and the Wiz-Cav games should be quite entertaining this year.

Posted by: oddjob2 | July 31, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 1, 2009 5:30 AM | Report abuse

"DS may have never been a "game breaker", but during his "can't feel my face days" he sure could have a solid positive impact on a game. He could knock down several 3's in a row. Not so much last year!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 1, 2009 5:30 AM "

The only positive was for the Cavs fans and Lebron who were inspired by his nonsense to squash him and Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 1, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I'll tell you this too...with Shaq on the Cavs team, if DS tries to talk trash again, it could get ugly....real ugly.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 1, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

..just wondering why Dsteve's finance people hook him up with rehab direction.

Value added...DeShawn will always remember "My accountant really hooked me up" and maybe forgive him a bad investment or two.

Also, if he can extend D's career by 3 years , that's 10% of 15 million.

Posted by: Blurred | August 1, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I like Mike Miller as our starting 2-guard.

Offensively, he's obviously a great fit.

He's slow defensively, but in spite of that limitation, he fills a major defensive hole- rebounding.

Our centers are poor rebounders for the position (maybe because they have to provide help defense almost all the time). According to Hollinger's stats, Miller, playing SG and SF, was a better defensive rebounder than any player on our roster last year, including all of our bigs. He might put up even better rebounding numbers this year, since he won't be fighting for rebounds with Kevin Love and Al Jefferson every night. As the starting 2-guard, Mike Miller will give this team a major boost by securing the rebound after Haywood's help defense causes a missed shot.

Posted by: yop32 | August 1, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think Foye was brought in to be the starting 2 and will have every opportunity to win the job. Miller's size and shooting is great, but he really cant guard anyone on the perimeter.

Ernie sees Foye as having all of Deshawn's skills and then some, while being younger and healthier.

Posted by: divi3 | August 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

yop: " like Mike Miller as our starting 2-guard."

Thanks for the well-reasoned argument. I don't know if it's true, but it's well-reasoned.

Question that came up for me is why Miller's points fell off so much last season in Minnesota. Answer turned out to be simple: he was shooting a lot less. The year before at Memphis, he was averaging 17 shots a game; with the Wolves, that dropped to 10 or 11. He was still playing 32+ minutes a game, so it had to be something the coaches were asking him to do. And that turned out to be it -- he was averaging 4.5 assists. Basically, they told him to feed the ball inside, and the guy cooperated.

For this, they called him a bust. You can't win.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 1, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah! A few of them boys gonna have hurt feelins jus a little bit when Crit and Gilbert start ta run thangs.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 1, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

He was still playing 32+ minutes a game, so it had to be something the coaches were asking him to do. And that turned out to be it -- he was averaging 4.5 assists. Basically, they told him to feed the ball inside, and the guy cooperated.Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: djnnnou | August 1, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"..just wondering why Dsteve's finance people hook him up with rehab direction.

Also, if he can extend D's career by 3 years , that's 10% of 15 million.

Posted by: Blurred | August 1, 2009 8:47 AM "

b/c his "finance" people have a vested interest in keeping him healthy, productive, and earning.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 1, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I just made myself watch D Steves video.
He aint in the same league as s. Marberry but he has way too much time on his hands.
I think I know why he can't feel his face----everything above the shoulders must be numb. Hopefully the back surgery will cure it.

Posted by: VBFan | August 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"Really? I remember reading that Minnesota was surprised by his lack of aggression on the offensive end. And with Jefferson injured that reasoning doesn't make a lot of sense. Posted by: djnnnou"

Not so hard to understand. Miller's version is that the team didn't run plays his direction; the team may have viewed it differently. Jefferson's injury occurred 50 games into the season, after the pattern was well-established. The important point IMO is that his scoring was off not because he struggled with his shot (the way DeShawn Stevenson or Mike James did) but because he shot less. That's a good omen for us.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

More interesting comments in this thread than usual. Stevenson will have a hell of a fight on his hands to get much playing time with this group, and whoever said he's likely trade bait is right, along with Mike James. EG can take his time, though. The Wiz have 10 solid pieces, outstanding potential if people stay healthy, which has been the story of the past two years.

Mike Miller will win another "Sixth Man of the Year" award because he's perfectly cast to fill in at the 2 and 3 with the Wiz. He will make everyone better, playing inside-out, hitting threes, threading the needle with passes and drives. Plus he rebounds. At 6-8, he will cause some defensive pressure, even if he doesn't really play good defense.

So, if Gilbert, Caron, Jamison and Haywood stay healthy, the Wiz competes with anyone, because no one else has Foye, Miller, Blatche, Young, McGuire and McGee. And Crittendon, and Oberto.

And that's not counting Stevenson and James.

The big question is inside, and whether Oberto

Posted by: zinger1 | August 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

... (Oberto) fits the bill as a supplemental player, or if he has to actually play much (McGee, and Blatche fall down).

Posted by: zinger1 | August 1, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"I remember reading that Minnesota was surprised by his lack of aggression on the offensive end. And with Jefferson injured that reasoning doesn't make a lot of sense."

I think there's a bit of a double-standard being applied to Miller's performance in Minnesota. Usually when a veteran player on a bad, going-nowhere team starts jacking it up at every turn he's roundly criticized as being a selfish me-first guy out to get his numbers at the expense of the team. Miller, playing on a bad, very young team, made an obvious effort to do the opposite. He moved the ball around, kept his teammates involved and (at least in theory) through his actions tried to showed his (young) teammates the right way to play the team game. And for that he gets criticized for being on the slide.

"Still, I don't know if I would start him at the 2. For one thing, that takes him off the table as a sixth man at 2 positions (something a lot of teams would love to have). If you start Foye at SG, then if something happens to Arenas, you can move Foye over and put Miller or one of the others next to him, leaving Butler at SF."

Agreed. Given their various options at SG, I think Miller would be much more valuable coming off the bench.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 1, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

"http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/01/AR2009080101571.html"

Interesting piece on Stevenson. Have to give him props for having the right attitude about the changes the team's made. It shows a maturity that his on-court sometimes don't indicate.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I think people are more puzzled than being overly critical. He FGAs plummeted, and coming from Memphis, another bad, young team, that was unexpected.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

STEVENSON and his trash-talking just leave me cold. Seeing SONGAILA playing out of position, and giving the team all he could are more my speed. I'd rather see maximum effort from a substandard player than actions from a quality one which motivate the opposition to kick our azz. Usually there's a brain connected to a superior athletes' body, and it should be used thoughtfully, and on a full-time basis. Let's have less talk and more action in 2009-10.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 2, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure DeShawn Stevenson's trash talking helped the Cavs more than Arenas and Butler being out one year and Arenas basically being out the next year. Or the referees treating LeBron like a china doll after the "We're gonna get tough" comment by Eddie Jordan.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 2, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

you gotta admit that Deshawn was out of pocket saying lebron wasn't "that good" or whatever. LBJ has been an allstar since he laced up his sneaks in the nba, what has stevenson ever done worth talkin bout?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 2, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

He said he was overrated. So what? That didn't give Cleveland magic powers to beat us. I'm tired of people bowing to him like he's actually King James anyway.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 2, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Hopefully for MeShawn's sake, his "overrated comment" won't end up being like a "great game Mike" comment from LaBradford Smith.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 2, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | August 2, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

"i do not care about all negatives on DS. He is a working horse.He is going to win his starting spot which is a very good sinario for wiz.His market will be high to add him on james expiring contract to get a prominent bench Big man which could give us an option to sign BH with a reasonable cost. If DS start both foye and miller will play good since both of them are in the free agent world next season.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 2, 2009 8:51 PM "

Les BouleS didn't bring in Mike Miller and Foye to help DS succeed.

DS is/was trade bait, and was supposed to be part of the trade right before the draft, but Minn. didn't want him.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 2, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"He FGAs plummeted, and coming from Memphis, another bad, young team, that was unexpected. "

Not really. With Gasol getting either hurt or traded during their last two seasons in Memphis, Miller became one of their primary offensive weapon by default. The Grizzlies won 22 games each of those seasons. Most likely Miller simply realized that, as good a player as he was, he wasn't a guy that could carry a bad team just by shooting the ball a lot. So when Jefferson went down in Minnesota, rather than hijacking the offense to pad his own numbers while the ship sank around him, he made a concerted effort to help the development of the young players around him. He moved the ball around, making sure the young guys got looks and opportunities, and tried to provide an example of how team ball should be played (the kind of example, it should be noted, that many people around here regularly pilloried Jamison and Butler for supposedly not setting for the young guys on the Wiz last season). And for that he gets criticized and question.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 2, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Prior to this year, Tough Juice was not the toughest Wizard. DeShawn was. He is their best perimeter defender. No he can't stop LeBron but hello, nobody can, one-on-one. True he shouldn't motivate LeBron by running his mouth but by running his mouth, Washington DID get more physical. The problem was the best wizards were not healthy. Does DeShawn have a role/spot on the team? Considering the reasonableness of his contract, he should.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 3, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

LOL,

This is a pretty good thread. Any thread where DCMANN actually makes a lucid comment is rare indeed - the DS's money people having a "vested" interest in his health comment was a good one.

Also, I think DS and most everyone knows that LeBron James is a great player. What I and a lot of people do or should have a problem with is his arrogance as if he really is "King" James. Get back to me when you have some rings on your finger and then maybe you can use the "King" moniker. Like the supposed debate as to who is better - Kobe or LeBron? I think the vote for me is 4-0 in Kobe's favor. And don't even put him in the same sentence as Jordan, it's just foolish. MJ would have shredded that Magic team! But, sadly, I think he believes his own hype as shown by his poor sportsmanship after the CF's lose. DS and LJ's have the same number of rings for that matter...LOL.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

And, not only does he not have a ring, I don't see him getting a ring the next couple of seasons either. When Cleveland does not do it this year, then what? Does he stay? Does he move on? Then your looking at another season or two to rebuild in Cleveland or elsewhere. Cleveland is not exactly a young team! Shaq, Z, Wally, etc... Don't think Varaj is a championship caliber center in the least if he is forced into that role. "Poor" James!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 3, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

"..I'm going to be a helluva backup.."

Amen, Deshawn

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Stevenson's back is coming along and he'll be training with the Lakers guru in Vancouver, but I still don't see him starting over Miller or Foye at the SG spot. He'll likely be a defensive specialist who comes in to hound the other team's top scoring threat in the backcourt. I could see the Wiz packaging him along with James' expiring contract by midseason to a team that is looking to rebuild if he shows he's healthy.

It's pretty obvious by the moves made by EG that the Wiz perceived SG to be a position where an upgrade was needed or they wouldn't have made a trade for two potential starters at that spot. I was surprised the Wiz re-signed Stevenson to a four-year deal after his 1st season here, but that's been EG's pattern and it has come back to hurt us when players become less productive, injured, or age (Daniels, Songaila, etc.) Now, the Wiz have two marginal vets in James and Stevenson that have a no role and will need to be moved.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I suspect that last year, if Lebron had Kobe's Laker team as his supporting cast, he'd have a ring; and the flip side, had Kobe been playing in Cleveland, the 'force' would not be with Kobewan.
Ditto for LBJ and Michael Jordan's supporting cast on the Bulls.
LBJ's Pacinoesque grimacing is annoying but can't question the level his game has elevated to; basketball is more entertainment than sport these days. With endorsement money in the mix athletes are over-inflating a thin membrane of personality and floating it onto the media, it's often nauseating but it also translates into big money. Welcome to the Circus Maximus. Let the games begin.

On that basis I would have to forgive Stevenson some of his histrionics as well but not the counter-productive trash talking with Lebron during the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. Better not to provide any motivation to the other teams big cheese.
The Post interview with Stevenson surprisingly depicts a thoughtful, mature athlete under that silly "Can't feel my face" act he was laying on the fans when his threes were dropping.

Posted by: midlevex | August 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Winner! Winner's don't have to learn to be good sports! Did he say winner, or winer? The U Tube version of the Kobe/Lebron muppett commercial with the voice of Kobe's nephew changed to ask,"If you're a winner LeBron, How come you ain't got no rings? Kobe's got 4 rings Lebron, how come you don't have even one? Don't winners have rings?"

As they say in the credit card commercial,"Priceless!"

You can rag on Stevenson all you want for the overrated comments, But they sure amped up the crowd in the "Phone Booth" and the folks had a good time during the blowout.

Everybody knew that the wiz were outmanned in that series. Stevenson made it a little entertaining, and took the edge off of Jordan's we're gonna get tough remark.

I grew up not believing in trash talk either. But when you're matched against a guy that acts as if he's owed a Championship, like it's his birth right or something, shaking things up a little and talking trash at him just made a mismatched series a little fun.

The can't feel my face thing, he needs to get the 3 point shooting prt. back up before bringing that back...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Kobe wouldnt have done any better with Cleveland's supporting cast...and yeah LeBron probably would've won a ring if he was in LA...but that team was stacked. Of course LeBron would've won.
If anything...the best moment that came from the whole DeShawn/LeBron thing for me can be summed up in this youtube clip:

I was at the game and it was awesome...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I think the Wizards should look to trade Delshawn. For the money he did not step up during the Wizard's last playoff appearence and had a terrible previous season. However, I like him and wish him well. If he stays I hope he has a better season.

Posted by: gacbone | August 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"DCMan needs to look at himself and fix himself and stop focusing on everybody else.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 3, 2009 7:54 AM "

Clearly you are a moron b/c this blog is about Les BouleS and its players.

Duh.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"LOL,

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 3, 2009 8:17 AM "

What a coincidence!

I was thinking the same of you.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I really really like Oberto. His 2007 playoffs against Utah and the last game vs Cavs were awesome. Check this about the guy.

Posted by: patorabasa | August 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

sorry, this is a correct link.

Posted by: patorabasa | August 4, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse