Oberto's Agent: "Nothing's Imminent"

I don't know if I'm going to join you guys just yet. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

I just got off the phone with Fabricio Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, who informed me that while he has had "serious conversations" with the Wizards, they have not reached the point where the team has made his client "a formal offer."

Rudoy would not discuss the parameters of the proposed deal, but he made it clear that Oberto has been in contact with at least six teams and is no hurry to make a decision about where he will play next season.

"Nothing's imminent," Rudoy said. "Fabricio is going to take his time making this decision. It's not going to happen in the next few days. He's in no rush. We've been bombarded with opportunities. He wants to think about this."

I asked Rudoy about the possibility of Oberto returning to Europe, where played for seven seasons before joining the Spurs in 2005. Rudoy said, "His plan is to stay in the NBA."

A team source also told me that the team had not made an offer to Oberto. But there is no denying that they have interest in the Argentine. The Wizards are hoping that the presence of Spurs former assistant Mike Wells on Flip Saunders's staff can entice Oberto to come to Washington.

Oberto is coming off a season in which he averaged 2.6 points and 2.6 rebounds. He had been bothered by arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation) the past few seasons and recently underwent a heart procedure that was aimed at correcting his irregular heartbeat. He would occasionally miss games after receiving eletro-shock procedure to get his heart back in time. After the procedure, he told the San Antonio Express-News that there shouldn't be any problems with his comeback. A few weeks later, he wound up being traded to Detroit.

The Wizards are looking for a bargain basement big man who is willing to play spot minutes and possibly go a game or two without playing. According to league sources, they have also reached out to the representatives for Chris Wilcox, Jason Collins, Jamaal Magloire, Sean Marks, Mikki Moore and Brian Skinner. Saunders said yesterday that there is a "realistic" possibility that the team could sign summer league participant Josh Heytvelt. One of their targets, Channing Frye, already signed with Phoenix, and another, Rasho Nesterovic, has been cozying up with the Toronto Raptors. Stay tuned.

By Michael Lee  |  July 14, 2009; 11:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Wizards Make Contract Offer To Oberto
Next: Taking A Short Break

Comments

I wonder who the other teams are and if they are more attractive to him.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

depends on how many of them lost 63 games last year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I know one team is the Spurs.

Posted by: CBell29 | July 14, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

how bout it

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If it falls through then I'd go after Wilcox, Diogu or Pops.

Posted by: elfreako | July 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

oberto could become the nba's kenny lofton. it felt like lofton would get traded back and forth b/w atl and cleve. he'd either get traded to one and then go back to the other via free agency or get traded back (maybe it just felt that way)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we just trade away a F/C with heart problems?

Didn't we just trade away a 7-foot international with a euro-big-man's game?

Can't imagine that the Wiz are serious contenders to sign Oberto. At this stage of his career, he's got to be looking at a situation that will either (1) fetch him another ring or (2) pay him some cash beyond this year.

If there is competition for his signature, I don't iamgine the Wiz being able to sell either of those points very hard.

I don't know what kind of relationship he's got with Mike Wells, but I'd imagine the idea of continuing to play next to Duncan has to be a bit more attractive.

Posted by: p1funk | July 14, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

What if the Wizards attempted to negotiate a buyout for DeShawn Stevenson this year? His contract is roughly $3.9 million this year and $4.15 million next year.

In total, that's about $8.05 million.

The Wizards are roughly paying $7.8 million for his services this year (including the luxury tax payments). If you add next year's salary, he's costing close to $12 million (assuming we also aren't over the luxury tax next season, a real possibility). It would actually save money (in real dollars) if he was bought out for his full contract price, and it would save space on next year's salary cap.

Something to think about? Just throwing ideas out there...

Posted by: psps23 | July 14, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Oberto is a good role player, but unfortunately the wiz can't afford him. Can't believe a team this bad pays its players so much.

Posted by: nadeemsx | July 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

p1f: "Didn't we just trade away a 7-foot international with a euro-big-man's game?"

We did indeed, so it's good that Oberto isn't a European big man, huh?

Tim Duncan makes everybody look better than they are. Thing is, Tim slowed down noticeably on the court last season. He looked like he was playing hurt. San Antonio was humiliated by that loss in the playoffs, and the FO down in Texas got very aggressive in bringing in established stars where in the past they've used the off-season to go after support players like Roger Mason.

Speculation being that the Spurs may fall hard this year. Or would have without the additions.

Blair could actually start some games in San Antonio, playing the same role that Oberto did -- guy who hangs around the basket for putbacks, and physically abuses the opponent's inside players.

Long as those legs hold out, I mean.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Rasho Nesterovic or Jamaal Magloire would have been better, but I guess since Detroit has to pay Olberto two million, he probably smells like more of a bargain to Abe Polin.

Posted by: Independent11
------------------------------------------

Magloire played for vet's minimum last season in Miami.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Let's big up Ben Wallace if he doesn't retire - whaddya guys think?

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | July 14, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Saunders said yesterday that there is a "realistic" possibility that the team could sign summer league participant Josh Heytvelt."

He must have looked better in camp than I thought.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Whats Jahidi White up to these days?

Shouldn't Jeff Ruland have 6'8" son about 25 by now?

Has ralph Sampson's contract expired yet?

Pervis Ellison?

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Question: When is the Summer League Game today/tonight? How can I watch it?

Posted by: AshrafEl-Arini | July 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't talking about their "two best seasons." I was (as I have been all along) talking about Haywood's career-best year (in which he shot 53% from the field) and Andersen's career best year (the one he just completed), in which he shot 55% from the field.

Nice try, though.

Posted by: kalo_rama
------------------------------------------

In statistics, if you worry about the numbers may be skewed, you increase the sample size, that is why I used the "best two seasons" from both, and to eliminate your dubious rounding, as I have explained.

Bottom line, your reasoning based on Anderson "better FG%" is not statistically sound. You may do it "all alone," it still doesn't pass the muster.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

If a player will choose between a winning tradition or a losing tradition teams. Who do you think he'll pick? A warm climate or a cold chilly winter? A possible champ ring or a possible lottery bound team? No contest.

Posted by: Dave381 | July 14, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I hear Charles Jones is available.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

But its a package deal with Rex Chapman and Ledell Eackles

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I say hold your cards close and bluff. Keep your dark shades on and somebody might fold wit' all de' goods.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

are the wiz on tv today? If so where?

Posted by: wizravterp | July 14, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think the Wiz are going to regret not drafting DeJaun Blair in the second round. I think he would have been better than some of these other "K-Mart Blue Light Special" big men that are currently waiting for work!

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | July 14, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What's up with all the Haywood comparison. The last time I checked, whenever he plays and was allowed to play for the the Wizards, it was a positive thing, for the WIZARDS.

Oh, and by the way, it's damn near impossible to replace him with another NBA center. Any NBA center that is better than Haywood won't be being traded by the owning Team.

You Haywood detractors should just get over it, because Haywood is the Washington Wizards NBA center and a good one at that.

Think About It. Let me think...

Would Power Forward Tim Duncan like having Brendan Haywood at center beside him? Yeah! I think he would.

Look guys, there ain't that many Brendan Haywoods in this League that other Teams are considering giving up.

This is another can't see the Forest for the Trees augument.

And by the way, Brendan Haywood is a self motivated player.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Is DeJuan Blair better than any of the FA bigs available right now?

RIGHT NOW, is he better than anyone of the FA bigs? I don't think so, and I'll go as far as to say that he isn't.

Maybe he'll better better than the "blue light special" of bigs available, but right now, he isn't.

The Wizards aren't a project. They have the pieces in places (or so they think; we hope) to win now.

Why bring in another "big project"? Too many of those over the years, with none to marginal success as results.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Why not Ben Wallace? A veteran bigman, at a dirt cheap price..who would play 5-10 high energy minutes a game..and sometime not play in a game at all...I mean looking at some of these other names, he may not be a way to go.

Maybe sign him and Chris Wilcox?

Posted by: Cartaldo | July 14, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Edit: Rather He may be the way to go...(in reference to Ben Wallace)

Posted by: Cartaldo | July 14, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

After my previous joke comments, you may have trouble taking this seriously, but in 2005, I spent a lot of time with Ben Wallace's Brother in Law, who handles a lot of his day to day dealings. We were working on a deal when he had to up and move Detroit, then Chicago, to handle some stuff for him.

The BiL told me afterward that Ben didn't feel right and thought he only had 2 or 3 seasons left. Four seasons later...and we are starting a fifth.

I am guessing he will take the money from whomever feels he is worth it, but he may not be a real player anymore.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ben Wallace may have been a nice option 4 years ago.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"He had been bothered by arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation) the past few seasons..."

Great.

Etan Thomas part 2.

I sure they aren't serious about this.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 14, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Let's big up Ben Wallace if he doesn't retire - whaddya guys think?

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | July 14, 2009 12:21 PM

Ben Wallace's salary for this year is about $14 million! Abe Pollin will slap you for even mentioning his name!

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If the Wiz are looking to pull in a big man on the cheap, then why not Drew Gooden? Id take him over any of the guys mentioned in the article. Sean Marks? Mikki Moore? Seriously? Magloire was an All-Star a few seasons back, yet no one will touch him now. And the only people pushing for Wilcox are Terps fans.

Posted by: Tempy_McJobhunt | July 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Is DeJuan Blair better than any of the FA bigs available right now?

I think D Blair would have given the Wiz some of the intangibles they are looking for in a big like toughness and grit. True he may have been sort of a project due to his knees, but the guy has come to the Vegas Summer League 50 pounds lighter than college and he is showing signs of dominance over the other bigs in Vegas. Granted, it’s only the summer league but who’s to say the guy doesn’t turn into the next P Milsap or Carl Landry??

Besides, the FA’s they are currently looking for will only serve as a warm body on the court when the current bigs are on the bench drinking Gatorade.

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | July 14, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

My bad RedDMV I forgot to quote your text.

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | July 14, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Phx bought out Ben's contract today, so the Wiz would probably only be paying him the minimum. But even at that discounted rate, they'd be overpaying. Ben is done.

Posted by: Tempy_McJobhunt | July 14, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"And all alone you showed reservations in using figures from Haywood's "career year," and had no problem in using Birdman's career best. Funny, isn't it?"

Not really, because it's not true. (Big shock there, huh?) I showed no such "reservations." (Really,where do you come up with this nonsense?) Quite the contrary. I was quite enthusiastic about using them, since the whole point was to show that, when averaged out over the same number of minutes played, Andersen's numbers were easily as good or better than Haywood's in his "career year."

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 14, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The best thing that can be said about Oberto is that he's the cheapest option. He's a 34-year old journeyman who only seemed decent playing with Tim Duncan while in San Antonio. The fact that he has a heart condition would scare off most teams. If the Wiz wanted to really improve their depth, they would have actively pursed Channing Frye or Drew Gooden. Nesterovic, Magliore, Oberto, etc. are just big bodies who can provide an extra 6 fouls a game and add some veteran presence off the bench.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 14, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"You may do it "all alone," it still doesn't pass the muster.

Of course, the fact that you quoted "all alone" (in what I can only assume was a juvenile attempt at gotcha for catching me in a supposed typo) when, in fact, I said "all along" is just another indication of how little attention you pay to reading what's actually been written before crapping out your pointless, off-the-mark, knee-jerk rebuttals.

Hint: Read all of the words, slowly and carefully, then respond. While it's unlikely to improve the intellectual quality of your responses, it might help you avoid embarrassing yourself with silly mistakes. (Anything's possible, right?)

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 14, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Why would Wallace come here? If he does sign on somewhere else, it'll be with a contender for a chance at a title. That's not gonna happen in D.C., at least not next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Why would anybody want Channing Frye here? A small "big man" who loves jumpers? I spend 40% of my time reading complaints about that.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

You can see the Wiz game tonight (6:30pm ET) and all the Las Vegas summer league games on the internet if you subscribe (for $14.99) thru the NBA Summer League link on the nba.com website.

You no doubt need a broadband internet connection for it to work.

Posted by: cannontl | July 14, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU, I'm looking at Blair vs whoever we pick up now since we're looking for a backup big. (PF or C).
He aint Barkley but he's better than Oberto. I realize Oberto is a C and he's a PF.
Funny, the closest I can remember to Blair physically is Wes Unseld. Short, strong, average athleticism and beasts on the board. I think we couldve used him.

Posted by: original_mark | July 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Jahidi is up to about 415 now...

Posted by: 1of9000 | July 14, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama
------------------------------------------
The fact that you quoted Haywood's stats with the words "career year" in quotation mark, and quoted Birdman's without any such remark. Read your own writing before you ask/expect others to!

Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama
-------------------------------------------
Nice try at diversion. My advice to you, you don't need to read every words I wrote, just the ones that you intentionally missed:

Bottom line, your reasoning based on Anderson's "better FG%" is not statistically sound!

Oh, BTW, to make sure I quoted someone words by words, I always "copy-and-paste," it saves me from typing too. I didn't take issue with your typo, and did not even expect you made issues with your own typo. Don't even understand where all of your anger comes from.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"The fact that you quoted Haywood's stats with the words "career year" in quotation mark, and quoted Birdman's without any such remark."

Really, now you're just embarrassing yourself. Again, if you actually paid attention while you read instead of spending the entire time thinking about your next *ahem* clever retort, it would have been blindingly obvious that I was mocking all of the hoopla the BTH fan club made over his "career year" numbers (thus the quotes). Again, that's the whole point of the Haywood/Andersen comparison, to show that a guy who is lightly regard by some and assumed to be non-starter material by others can put up numbers as good or better than their boy in the same minutes. (Although the fact that you're this deep into the debate while clearly not understanding what the debate is actually about does help explain the empty hissing sound that constitutes the substance of most of your posts on the matter thus far.)

"Reservations?" Please. Seriously, how far up did you have to reach to pull that one out? And did it require both hands?

"Read your own writing before you ask/expect others to!"

Where did I say I "expected" you to read my posts before responding? Just the opposite, really. I expect you to do just what you've done--spew out misinformed nonsense while displaying a manifest lack of knowledge about what is is you speak of.

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

When ppl talk about BTH's career year, it shouldn't be taken out of context. His 'career year' happens to have coincided with 'career year' in minutes played and games started. It's not a coincidence.
Per 36 minutes, BTH has been between 11 and 13ppg and at 9 rpg for the last 6 years.

The bottom line is that he has improved but his career year could very easily have been 5 years ago had EJ started him and played him the minutes that he deserved. The problem was EJ, not BTH.

Chris Andersen is at 11 ppg and 10.5 rpg. No surprises here. Andersen is a slightly better rebounder and slightly better shotblocker (3bpg vs 2bpg for BTH per 36 minutes) while BTH is a slightly better scorer.

The difference between the two is that BTH is a better low post defender while Birdman is a better help defender probably.

The other difference is durability and availability. I'll take the guy who doesn't need a Whizzinator to stay in the league.

Posted by: original_mark | July 14, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Durability/availability was glossed over but Andersen (while sober) missed a lot of games.

Posted by: original_mark | July 14, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I also think Chris Andersen's style isn't fit for playing starters minutes. He comes in with so much energy and that style usually doesn't translate to starters.

He reminds me of Marion Barber in a basketball context if that makes any sense.

I hate the Cowboys.

Just felt like I had to qualify that statement.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, BTW, to make sure I quoted someone words by words, I always "copy-and-paste," it saves me from typing too."

Exactly. Which makes the fact that you, in your response, "quoted" me as saying something that I quite clearly did not say in my original post (which you also quoted) even more ludicrous.

"I didn't take issue with your typo"

You couldn't take issue with it because there wasn't one. You "quoted" me as mistyping something I didn't actually mistype. You mistyped my words in the first line of your response, then later quoted your own mistake like I had made it. So, not only do you not read the posts you're responding to, you respond to what you write in your own posts rather than what other people write in theirs. (Again, it explains a lot, really.)

"Don't even understand where all of your anger comes from."

HAHAHAHAHA!

Pretty funny, coming from the guy who's now taken to putting exclamation points at the end of every other sentence.

How quickly they forget.

"Read your own writing before you ask/expect others to!"
Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 3:12 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 14, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Wes Unseld could probably give some minutes one night and then be happy not playing the next couple games.

Posted by: AsstGM | July 14, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Birdman will be out of the league in 3 years or at least be a third option on desperate team.

Think Tyron Lue: Had three mediocre years with LA capped by excellently defending Allen "the criminal" Iverson in the 2001 finals. DC gives him a contract and he works his way into a trade to Orlando. From there he plays slightly better mediocrity for a couple years with a dreadful Atlanta team and then gets passed around the league more than Tracy Murray's girlfriend.

Anderson plays with a lot of energy and you like his story and grit, but he will play with confidence next year and when that confidence gets beaten out of him, will either return to his crutch or just falter as a player, getting fewer and fewer minutes.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

FYI, BTH's has been the best Wizards/Bullets Center in a long while. Yes, that includes some know-it-all genius here who's fave C is Etan Thomas. I guess he still thinks Etan is better than BTH.

Posted by: Dave381 | July 14, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Offensively Haywood is actually decent. He's just not going to get many touches as a 4th option, maybe a 5th this season.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Better than Jim McIlvaine? you gots to be kidding!

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

he is decent, but as a starter at the highest level of basketball in the world, i'd like to see him get better than 10 pts per game. if he's at his best avg'ing 10 a game then we need to cut bait after this year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

BTH may be the best we've had, but the list of Cs since Duckworth is terrible. BTH is a good player, but he's got to give us more from the center position on offense."

Especially that no talent Ben Wallace.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

How many would you like him to score? the big 3 scores around 70 when they all play...they averaged a little over 100 as a team...thats 30 for everybody else.

He's not there to be an offensive force. He has a little mid range jumper, and now makes his free throws. He's more there for defense and rebounds.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Oberto's b-ball IQ is high, he's an eficcient scorer (60%) though not prolific, he rebounds and passes and defends well, he's done this in the NBA for a few seasons with winners.

The Wizards are looking for maybe 12 minutes per game and Oberto could probably give them that if his ticker keeps time.
Oberto may not wind up in Washington and may not be Dirk Nowitzki but there is little doubt he is NBA ready. Oberto and Blair both have health questions, on the other hand Blair is all questions in the areas where Oberto is proven.

Posted by: midlevex | July 14, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I've come to the conclusion years ago that the Wiz don't have any intentions on being a contender. Plz read this article ...(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/13/AR2009071302588.html)
The MAIN thing I take away from it is that you need quality BIG MEN in this league to compete & the Wizs have only ONE (Haywood - and honestly I wouldn't have said that until I realize what he meant to the team) EG & ABE time to put up or just let your fans know you're happy with making the playoff (expect an early exit every year)

Posted by: cevans1019 | July 14, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

FYI-This article is about Gortat re-signing with the Magic from today's paper.

Posted by: cevans1019 | July 14, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

these options are so poor that the wiz would be better playing small ball. better to have four guards/small forwards and a center on the floor, than any of the mediocre players being tossed around. face it, the wiz can only offer entertainment, not a title.

Posted by: nadeemsx | July 14, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

That basket and rebound Oberto will bring some nights is impor.tant

Posted by: firemetalrat | July 14, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Who gives a damn about Gortat. We played that game matching for Etan Thomas.
Now people are complaining about that too.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

We are all Wiz fans here discussing something we are enthused about. I do not understand why every time I have discussions with kalo_rama, it turns into personal. Sad it is!

Unless you are capable of discussing substance without pissing match, here is my last response:

1. Haywood's stat in his "career year" is far more close to his career average than Anderson's. So for people who understand statistics, it is very odd to see someone bring up Haywood's stats and denoted it as "career year," but omitting the same notation on the stats he just brought up regarding Chris Anderson.

2. In order to avoid "the hoopla the BTH fan club made over his career year numbers," as you called it, I used "best two seasons" for comparison. But you simply objected that without any statistical ground, and continued to do your own hoopla on Anderson's career year without even mention it as such.

3. What are we debating, really? "The empty hissing sound that constitutes the substance of most of my posts" (wow), or the fact that misused/misquoted stats cannot be used to backup your arguments. "Spew out misinformed nonsense" (a copy-and paste quote)! Really! Your last post must be a glory example of what you think "substance" is.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 14, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 4:11 PM

good maybe he could avg more than 10 a game with these skills. i'm not trippin about the big 3. if they give you and automatic 70pts a game great. what does that have to do with haywood as an offensive player? he could score more by raising his ft %, or fg %.

i'm not asking for more shots from BTH, i'd just like him to score a couple more pts , make him more of a threat on offense. there's not guarantee that the "30 for everybody else" will be enough to win especially if the other team actually scores.....101 pts.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Now people are complaining about that too.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009

SDMDTSU - if you read my statement.. I wasn't refering to the Wiz trying to get Gortat. In the article they mention that you need a BIG MEN to compete in the NBA. The Wiz don't have any...so in my mind they will make the 1st round of the playoff but not much after that.

Posted by: cevans1019 | July 14, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

JaVale McGee will be a thundrous big man...better than McIlvaine, Duckworth, Pervis, Sampson (as a Bullet), haywood, thomas, White, Bol, Thorpe (as a Wiz)andwhoever I left off this list that played since Moses left.

Just maybe not this year.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't think aging journeymen ball players with health concerns would be so picky. They should play for whoever is willing to pay them and maybe gets some meaningful playing time.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | July 14, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Whoops. I meant everyone except for Ben Wallace that played Center for my bullettes and wizz since Moses left.

So So So happy we let the Pistons win championships with our team.

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I might add I'd go after Pops. Much younger, athletic, and hungry for an opportunity.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | July 14, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

It has to do with the fact that at best he's the 4th option on offense. He's not going to get the touches to average 15+ a game. His last full season he raised his ft% from mid 50% to 74%. It's not his role to score. Most of he points come from offensive rebounds and the maybe 2 or 3 post possesions he gets a game.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

so we shouldn't expect our starting C to be able to contribute more than 10 pts per game? 21 Cs had higher scoring avgs than BTH, Blatche was one of them. if u ask for mediocrity that is what u will get.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 14, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

If you read mine I was speaking on us being in the same situation and overpaying for a big man for the sake of him being a big man. As in matching Etan Thomas's offer sheet from Milwaukee. Orlando really doesn't have many big men. It's Howard and Gortat for 10 minutes. Maybe throw in Battie by accident.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Of those 21 C's how many of them had 3 20+ point scorers let alone one scoring almost 30?

What year did Blatche average more than Haywood? Last year? Come on. You're not serious...are you?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 14, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I checked BTH's career stats so far as mpg. Prior to his socalled break out year he averaged less than half a game playing time due to EJ's shenanigans.

In his break out year he averaged a bit more than half a game pt.

Those of you that keep talking about his average ain't respectable, name another NBA Center who averaged more with less than a half a game playing time.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion BTH has the stamina to average close to 3Q's of playing time. He never came close to about 35 mpg in any year.

Play Brendan an average of 30-35 per game and then you will see a better picture of the types of numbers he can put up.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/13/AR2009071302588.html)
FYI-This article is about Gortat re-signing ith the Magic from today's paper.Posted by: cevans1019"

Don't see how this could be anything but precursor to a trade. They sign him, they trade him for another backup big man.

Somebody was talking about Gortat being the league's best backup center -- I'm trying hard to imagine that.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

So Oberto would give the Wizards 3-4 points and 3-4 rebounds a night. That doesn't sound so great to me.

I would rather the Wizards take a chance on a young guy who is high energy and can rebound, and who is really hungry. E.g., one of the NBDL bigs.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | July 14, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Oberto:

* 34 years old
* ticker problem
* not quick
* no consistent J
* no defense
* career .601 in FT for a euro player

Les BouleS working hard to convince him to take $2 mil from them for playing sparingly.

This is the sad state of Les BouleS....can't be more clear than that.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 14, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midlevex | July 14, 2009 4:14 PM
____

Yep, thank you very much! I stated weeks ago when all this conjecture for a bargain big man came up that I hated that stuff ("conjecture"), but I liked the idea of signing Oberto. Did not know he had "ticker" problems, but if he is cleared you get a solid big guy that has won a championship as a starter coming off your bench for 12 mins a night. What the hell else do you guys expect? Chris Webber? We just need a guy to take some mins at center who can handle power players in the post. Yeah, I'll take Oberto in a second and see you in the conference finals if all goes well!

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the argument is exactly with BH vs Birdman. All I can say is that BH is a legit NBA center. Birdman is not! Birdman is more of a tweener between PF and Center. Plus, as Flip pointed out, Birdman is not really a power player at all, but plays with so much energy he makes it seem like he is (check Saunder's comments to McGee). So, you'll never see a team heading into a season with Birdman as their starting C. Ain't happening ever. So, what's the point? Our need is for more of a legit sized player to handle players in the post. Would I make room for him on the team? Sure, but that's not happening either.

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 14, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I would be ok with Oberto on the Wiz.
You would get a guy who was a starter on an NBA champion 2 years ago. If he isn't healthy enough to consistently play then Heytvelt should be waiting in the wings to take the minutes.

And now to unveil my new signature.
Abe Pollin has won more NBA Championships than Mark Cuban,Paul Allen and Senator Herb Kohl combined.

Posted by: jeremybozz | July 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I really could care less how many points per se Haywood scores. I'd be more impressed if he could up his rebound numbers by a board or two per game. He's primarily there for rebounding, team defense and post defense.

He has an ok jumper from the elbow. But he needs to finally refine the most basic offensive tool for an NBA big these days, the jump hook, preferrably with either hand. He's worked on it over the years, but it's not nearly consistent enough. As a reasonably athletic legit 7-footer, if he could really lock down a solid jump hook, he'd average more than the 10 a game that people are complaining about, as well as help give the Wiz the minimum offensive low-post scoring option that they lack.

And if he were so-inclined, a solid jump hook also opens up other counter-post moves, like up-and-unders that help draw fouls on opposing bigs. I think Flip's buddy (and post-up specialist supreme) Kevin McHale suddenly has some free time, any chancce he wants to come down for training camp???

Posted by: ts35 | July 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse