Wild and Crazy Offseason

You think your summer was better than ours? (Photo by Brian Babineau - NBAE via Getty Images)

This has been one of the wildest offseasons in recent memory, with so many players switching teams through trades and free agent signings that it's pretty hard to keep up. NBA general managers are treating this summer like a high-stakes poker game, repeatedly trying to one-up one another.

I'll see your Shaquille O'Neal, Cleveland, and raise you Vince Carter. Okay, I'll see your Ron Artest, Lakers, and raise you Rasheed Wallace. I'll see your Richardson Jefferson, San Antonio, and raise you Shawn Marion. I'll see your Randy Foye and Mike Miller, Washington, and raise you Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. And on and on.

The latest rumor has the Chicago Bulls, Utah Jazz and Portland Trail Blazers discussing a trade that would bring Carlos Boozer to Chicago, Tyrus Thomas to Utah and Kirk Hinrich to Portland. If that trade goes down, it would be a continuation of this exciting frenzy.

Many teams have aggressively made attempts to improve their teams. The Toronto Raptors acquired Hedo Turkoglu after he reneged on an agreement with Portland. The Dallas Mavericks re-signed Jason Kidd then added Marcin Gortat and traded for Marion. The Atlanta Hawks added Jamal Crawford, then re-signed Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia.

Man, this summer has been crazy. (By Toni L. Sandys - The Washington Post)

ESPN.com's Chad Ford already provided his offseason rankings and decided that the Spurs came out the best after trading for Jefferson, signing Antonio McDyess and drafting, uhem, DeJuan Blair in the second round. (Hey, people. Don't forget the Wizards got $2.5 million for passing on Blair ... uh, okay, never mind.) But Ford also has the Wizards with the fifth-best summer (behind San Antonio, the Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit and Dallas) after trading the fifth pick and three contracts for Foye and Miller.

The Wizards are certainly an improved team, especially if Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood come back healthy. Arenas is owed $95 million over the next five years, a staggering number that makes it imperative for him to return as something close to his form when he made third-team all NBA in 2006-07. (By the way, I heard that Arenas is coming back from his two-week training session with Tim Grover this weekend. I'll try to get some sort of update soon.) While having a healthy Arenas is important, the Wizards believe they are in a position where they have the backcourt depth -- with the additions of Foye and Miller -- to compensate and compete if he does not come back as Agent Zero, so to speak.

But where do you rank the additions of Foye and Miller rank with the player movement around the league? I personally think that this offseason has been defined by the rich getting richer, as the league powerhouses have been gluttons for talent and embraced Gordon Gekko's credo: Greed is good.

The past two NBA champions, Boston and the Lakers, appear headed for a rematch of the 2008 NBA Finals.

No one wants to be defeated. Just beat it. (AP Photo)

Artest to the defending champion Lakers is frightening (and I'm not saying that because Artest can be a bit loopy). He is a rock solid defender, a capable scorer and proved last season in Houston that he can blend in to win, without being a distraction. He also adds an element of toughness and yes, crazy, that was missing. Of course, the Lakers have to bring back Lamar Odom to be my favorite to win the 2010 championship. If they lose Odom, forget what I just said.

I also like the addition of Rasheed Wallace in Boston, where he could make the Big Three a foursome and provide some KG insurance in case Garnett is unable to come back from his right knee injury. Wallace is combustible, but he is a different player when motivated and with a championship in his grasp. The Celtics should get the best of 'Sheed. The Celtics need to find a way to retain Glen "Big Baby" Davis, as well.

I already said that I wasn't the biggest fan of the O'Neal trade for Cleveland (although I love it from a purely entertainment perspective). Shaq's introductory press conference set the stage for potential problems, as he showed an embarrassing picture of General Manager Danny Ferry, told Coach Mike Brown that the Cavaliers won't double team again, and hinted to owner Dan Gilbert about wanting an extension. And, I understand that Anderson Varejao's six year, $50-million contract with the Cavaliers is incentive-laden, and the final year (worth more than $11 million) is not guaranteed, but I am stunned that a wild-haired flop artist somehow got paid more money than Wallace, Marion, Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest and Charlie Villanueva in this economy. That being said, Anthony Parker is a solid pickup -- and last I checked, the Cavaliers still have the league's most valuable player (Here's a reminder, in case you forgot).

On paper, it looks like Boston, Orlando and Cleveland are still the best three teams in the Eastern Conference. The Wizards will likely have to contend with being among the best of that next tier, with competition coming from Atlanta, Detroit, possibly Miami and maybe Toronto.

I like what Philadelphia did in getting Jason Kapono, but the 76ers really need a point guard and Andre Miller appears to have one foot and five toes from his other foot out the door. Chicago is hard to figure out after losing Ben Gordon, with Luol Deng returning from a broken leg. But if the Bulls can add Boozer, the East would get much more interesting.

The best part about all of this craziness is that we're only in July. Training camp doesn't start for another three months or so. There could be more madness ahead. I mean, Allen Iverson still hasn't signed yet.

By Michael Lee  |  July 10, 2009; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Take $4 Million Hit
Next: Free Agency Update

Comments

first?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Do I get to make an acceptance speech?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

AI to memphis, the grizz will be better than us this year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 10, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to this season... With a hopefully healthy Gil and Brendan back combined with the additons of Foye (I love this kid, potential to be all-star caliber player) and Miller (solid player)... I think we are right there in the mix of things right behind Boston and Cleveland... but I will admit, that mix is getting real competitive... Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Philly, Toronto, etc. But none the less we are right there in the mix... must stay healthy... and I think Flip is going to make a difference... I like Eddie just dont think he was right for this team... Still wish we had a Bad Boy Rough N Tpugh Bang em up PF/C but we will be OK until that time comes...

Posted by: DaGuru | July 10, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz need Drew Gooden to help them out in so many ways: rebounding, size, defense, and scoring. Flip Saunders will do wonders with Gooden. The Wiz do not have anyone now to pick up the slack if injuries, foul problems, or inconsistency from the young big men occur. Gooden would help a lot!

Posted by: JoeC2 | July 10, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

We're good, but we need some more front court depth or a shake up trade.

Posted by: PrisonBalls00 | July 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Considering that all the teams are now getting pummeled by the new salary cap, I'd gotta believe that the second tier big men's chances of getting what they expect in pay are dwindling.

I sort of see Ernie's strategy here. And the incentive for the top of the second tier to come to Washington would undoubtedly be -- not a Championship -- but a probably playoff spot, and playing time. Considering that Brendan and Jamison are both coming off injuries there could be a good opportunity for someone here.

Who are the most likely contenders. Does anyone believe that Drew Gooden is a possibility? I guess if I were him, I'd rather hang around San Antonio and play for nothing than Washington. Anyone else?

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree JoeC2. If we could get Drew Gooden I think our entire prospects for this year would have increased exponentially.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the Wiz did improve so far this offseason, and Foye does provide solid insurance if Gil has any setbacks. But I don't really feel like we closed in on the top three. Shaq to Cleveland and Sheed to Boston should make those teams marginally better. Vinsanity to Orlando I think essentially keeps that team the same as they were, but not better.

Depending on what other moves Chicago, Toronto and Philly make, we may have lost ground to those teams, as well as Atlanta. And who knows what to expect from Detroit? Toronto (Bosh, Turkoglu, Calderon and Bargnani) will be tougher. If Chicago gets Boozer (Rose, Boozer, Deng, Salmons, etc) they will definitely be tougher. If Philly can sign Miller or a reasonable replacement and have a healthy Brand, they will be tougher.

If the Wiz can catch a break and get one (or two?) of the decent bigs left for the bargain basement prices they're looking for, or trade James' contract for one, then maybe it will look better for the upcoming season.

Posted by: ts35 | July 10, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

JoeC2

I like your Gooden suggestion. He would help a great deal. What is his status.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"The Wizards, according to league sources, have expressed interest in signing Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye, Jason Collins or Jamaal Magloire for near the veteran minimum, but Grunfeld left open the possibility of adding one of the five center/power forward prospects on the summer league squad.

The biggest name on the list is rookie Josh Heytvelt, a 6-foot-11, 260-pound forward/center out of Gonzaga whom many expected to be drafted. Other centers are second-year veteran John Edwards, a 7-foot, 275-pounder who turns 28 on July 31, and James Lang (6-10, 285), who played 11 games for the Wizards in 2006-07"

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

AI to memphis, the grizz will be better than us this year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 10, 2009 11:14 AM

whos us? surley not the wizards.

i think we rank right up there in the top 3. with a split between cleveland and us. It doesnt matter to me that they have LBJ, we hate the cavs and it brings out the best in us. so my eastern conference preseason rankings go:

1) boston
2) orlando
3) washington/cleveland
4) Atlanta
5) Toronto
6) detroit
7) philadelphia
8) Miami
9) chicago
10) milwaukee
11) indiana
12) charlotte
13) New Jersey
14) new york

so its going to be real interesting this season. but Boston is my preseason favorite to play Los Angeles in the finals rematch and i have LA winning this one

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | July 10, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Do I get to make an acceptance speech?

Posted by: SDMDTSU"

For what, claiming that the two guys that highlighted this piece wouldn't have helped the Wizards?

Are you somehow equating your statement that Artest is a "50/50 shot" at destroying his team and that he's not worth the MLE for the Wizards with Lee's statement that "Artest to the defending champion Lakers is frightening (and I'm not saying that because Artest can be a bit loopy). He is a rock solid defender, a capable scorer and proved last season in Houston that he can blend in to win, without being a distraction. He also adds an element of toughness and yes, crazy, that was missing"?

Boy, you must not be putting what's on your mind in your posts, because I can't possibly see how what you've wrote has reflected in any sense what Lee wrote up here.

Posted by: psps23 | July 10, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

So this is who Ernie is after now:

Rasho Nesterovic (7' 255lbs)
2009 STATS:
MPG 17.3 PPG 6.8, RPG 3.40, APG 1.6

Channing Frye (6'11" 245lbs)
2009 STATS:
MPG 11.8, PPG 4.2, RPG 2.2, APG 0.4

Jason Collins (7' 255lbs)
2009 STATS:
MPG 13.6, PPG 1.8, RPG 2.30, APG 0.4

Jamaal Magloire (6'11" 265lbs)
2009 STATS:
MPG 12.9, PPG 2.9, RPG 4.0, APG 0.4

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Come on man how can you list players like....

Shaquille O'Neal
Vince Carter
Ron Artest
Rasheed Wallace
Richardson Jefferson
Shawn Marion
Ben Gordon

and then add Randy Foye and Mike Miller to that list?

Why not write some teams have had

MJ
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain
"Dr. J"
Bill Russell

but the Wizards have Gil and AJ

It makes no sense?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU - Ha, nevermind. Just realized you were talking about the "First" comment. I'm a moron.

Posted by: psps23 | July 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Of the four Ernie is after Magloire gets great numbers when he gets minutes. He's had big years up until 2006-2007 when he bounced between four different teams in two years and got little minutes.

Magloire has a lot of upside, I think.

Nesterovic gets decent numbers considering the little playing time he gets.

Not sure how he thinks Jason Collins is going to help us.

Channing Frye would be another big body, but not much else.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

From a depth standpoint, the Wizards are definitely improved, both with the players they have added and with Gil and B Wood coming back from injuries. The key will be if we can actually remain healthy and by this I mean is a significant contributor going to miss all or most of the season plus the playoffs. I think we are clearly in the top four on paper and I don't think we are far from the top given some of the questions with other top teams. Garnett's health is a key for Boston and Orlando losing three of the starting five that took them to the Finals and Marcin Gortat would be a bigger concern for me if I were a Magic fan than VC arriving in Orlando. Don't know how Shaq in Cleveland will work but we clearly need another big man to defend Shaq and Dwight Howard given JaVale's defensive performance last year against big centers.

The one rumor I keep hearing out there is Mike James for Jared Jeffries (the NY Post reiterated it this morning). I think it makes a ton of sense for both sides. We clearly don't need Mike James and Jeffries defends guys like Pierce and LeBron James really well. The only downside for us would be taking on another year of salary with Jeffries' contract.

Posted by: jonathan30033 | July 10, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"If we could get Drew Gooden I think our entire prospects for this year would have increased exponentially."

Gooden's a nice player, but he's not a king maker by any stretch.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't see what Drew Gooden can add to the Wizards that they don't already have. The team needs a backup center, preferably large and 7' or taller, not another power forward.

And if Heytvelt shows more than what he did in his workout for the Wizards, he might be it. But I doubt it, he was flatfooted and bewildered. Check out the Wizards video
it's the first one on the right column.

Posted by: rickgonz | July 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I believe Heytvelt will be the guy added to the roster. He will get a contract like Juan did last year and the Wizards will try and tell us he is a sleeper.

This after explaining why they didn't take Blair with the 2nd pick because of all of the other teams that passed on him, while everyone passed on Heytvelt?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickgonz | July 10, 2009 12:41 PM
------

Gooden is 6'10", but he's 250lbs, and he bangs around a lot getting a lot of rebounds. At the moment he switches between PF and C.

Just saying, I'd rather have physical toughness like that in there (getting 8-9 rebounds a game and double digit scoring) than someone less physical only because he's 2 inches taller. A couple of the guys Ernie is looking at signing are more or less just 6 fouls on Dwight Howard, and add little else.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

i.e. I'd rather have Gooden (6'10, 250lbs) up against Dwight Howard than Jason Collins (7' 255lbs).

I can tell you who'd be more productive and give the Wizards an inside presence they don't already have: Gooden.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Gooden would be a solid addition but, like everyone else whose name has been thrown about, he's not worth an $11 mill+ hit. Now if they could find a way to trade Blatche's quite reasonable contract for an expiring one and perhaps work out a buyout for the player they get in return? (Wishful thinking, I know.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I still hope washington has potential to improve more via trade or picking a veteran. My rating about improvment including healthy haywood per our observation in the final games of last season.
1/ spurs
2/clipers
3/ dallas
4/washington
5/boston
6/toronto
7/pistons
As far as our position in the eastern confrence, i have to wait and see what flip is going to do.
I will divide the teams in 4 group
a/group one
boston and cavs
b/Group 2
orland ,washington, toronto ,Atlanta and piston
c/group three , 76ers, chicago(might be in group 2 if the rumor is true)
d/ group four the remaining teams with little hope for playoff.
I put orlando in group two to show you my feeling that any of the teams in group 2 will have a chance to take the 3rd spot for play off from orlando,our chance will be high with front court improvment in case AB and JM are not satesfying their expectation.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 10, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"I think we rank right up there in the top 3. with a split between cleveland and us."

Hey Jasper--

You're a funny guy! Share some of that smoke with me dude!

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board with Drew Gooden as he's proven to be a very good rebounder who can score. That's what we were hoping for if we got the number one pick in the draft, and Drew is a better player than Blake Griffen right now (on that we will judge halfway into the season, though I would bet that Blake has more upside for the future).

If Phili looses Andre Miller maybe we can get them to take Mike James off our hands. Either way, we made some great moves after losing out on the first draft pick.

Posted by: liveride | July 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"I don't see what Drew Gooden can add to the Wizards that they don't already have."

GOODEN ADDS REBOUNDING!! Gooden is a relentless glass eater! He averaged nearly 10 rebounds per game last season. That's what he brings!

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree. I think Josh Heytvelt is the guy we wind up keeping.

Posted by: original_mark | July 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

AI won't make a difference. He's one of the most overrated players of all time - skills and gifted talent galore but he'd average 40 shots a game with about a 20% shooting percentage. He'd have a great game here and there but no team is going to make any long term impact with AI running the show. Couldn't believe Detroit traded Chauncey Billups to get him.

Posted by: AsstGM | July 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the Wiz expecting a healthy Gilbert Arenas last offseason (when they signed him to the big deal)? Just saying. I hate that the writers and Ernie has to say that as some kind of marketing ploy for improvement. Dude has been hurt for 3 years now.

I think it's still too early to rank the offseason winners/losers just yet. But it does seem like the contenders have made moves to improve their teams. Where as the wiz improved their depth at the guard position marginally, but haven't addressed the frontcourt yet. They have to pay $6 mil in luxury tax, so I doubt they will add anyone good. Maybe some kind of trade will help. But I don't think teams are burning up the phone lines for Mike James, Stevenson, and Nick Young. Atlanta improved. Toronto improved. Chicago losing Gordon isn't that big of a deal if they get Boozer. Look for D. Rose to make a big leap up now that he has a year under his belt.

Having Haywood back will help, but I don't know if the Wiz are anything but contenders for the 7th or 8th spot of the playoffs at this point (best case scenario). If Arenas can't come back, they might as well get what they can for Butler.

Posted by: al_kohaulic | July 10, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's see the Lakers had the highest payroll at $84.6 million and won the title. Coincidence???

But then the Wizards had the 4th highest at $75.8 million and were a lottery team.

NBA should have a meaningful cap and NO team can go over.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | July 10, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I think we just need to wait a little longer for the free agent market to go down and pick up Wilcox for a lower price he will be a perfect backup big man, he is built like a truck and can jump out of the gym (all good qualities for a rebounder and shot blocker). Once we have him we could do some damage. Right now our back up big men Blatche and McGee are both still really young and need more time to mature, they have the potential to be good big men in the future.

Posted by: bangscc | July 10, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

----
Yeah, I'm sure they'll come into their own a couple years from now when they're playing for other teams. This has unfortunately been the curse of the Washington Wizards.

Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, in some ways even Chris Webber -- he peaked after the Wiz gave him away for an old Mitch Richmond.

This ball club needs to hire a serious Rookie coaching staff to focus on the young guys, and try to get them up and running quicker, before the contracts need renegotiating.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Give Wiz one solid backup C/PF, I will put them among top 4 in the East. Right now? Not yet!

Posted by: sagaliba | July 10, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the plan is to get that solid backup C/PF at the trade deadline in exchange for Mike James' expiring contract and maybe one of our young, upside players.

We may just start the season with what we have right now. It's a tiny bit worrisome that we don't have a big man that we can put into the game and tell him, "We don't really expect you to do anything useful, but we trust you not to screw up." EG might decide to bring in a player on a veteran's minimum contract to fill that role.

Posted by: yop32 | July 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I think we just need to wait a little longer for the free agent market to go down and pick up Wilcox for a lower price he will be a perfect backup big man, he is built like a truck and can jump out of the gym (all good qualities for a rebounder and shot blocker)"

Which makes the fact that, over the course of his career, he's been a notably subpar rebounder and shotblocker even more of a puzzle.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Independent11 lol you had to bring up those guys. But you forget that curse was with the bullets not with the wizards haha. But in all seriousness yeah I completely agree with you on hiring a serious rookie coaching staff that could help getting the young guys on the move and playing better, they make to many dumb mistakes like Blatche deciding to dribble up the court and trying to go around his back is not what you want your PF to do. Also remember not all players we trade who are young come into their own look at Kwame Brown.

Posted by: bangscc | July 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

You people need to get over the Mitch Richmond/Chris Webber trade. That was done by Wes Unseld clearly one of the most incompetent GMs we've ever had.

How has Atlanta improved? Adding Jamal Crawford? Yeah that's helps a lot.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 2:09 PM

Amen. I don't know about you guys but there really doesnt seem to be any substantial solid rebounder on the market right now. Wilcox is tooooo small(or at least he plays like it) but knowing the Wizards he might go down being our new signee. Birdman would have been a nice hustle guy but his pricetag was exorbitant.

Posted by: DCSportsFan89 | July 10, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Birdman would have been a nice hustle guy but his pricetag was exorbitant.

Seriously? No price tag is exorbitant!
Nesterovic and Gooden in that order would satisfy me.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My last statement sounded extra homo. So I'll ammend it.

Signing Nesterovic or Gooden in that order would make me happy.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with our roster, as is, for the course of the regular season. I don't think we have everything in place for a conference championship, unless Gilbert comes back as good as before.

I think having Blatche and McGee as our first bigs of the bench will be good. It will help force them to focus, and give them valuable minutes during the regular season. When Blatche is concentrating, he's a very good player on both sides of the floor. Any experience McGee can get will do nothing but help this team in the future.

With the exception of a great trade (meaning not trading away any young talent), I like the idea of holding off on anything costly until the trade deadline. By then we'll have a better idea if PF or C is an area more of need, and we can bring in that extra guy to help us make a playoff push. Also, teams not going anywhere will more likely be willing to give up on a player in order to get an expiring contract.

Posted by: segastyle | July 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey... I am thinking Marcus Camby... 1 year left at 7.8 mil. He can play both PF/C... Excellent Rebounder, good defender, tough down low, though he doesnt score much he is not an offensive liability... Trade Mike James expiring contract (6.5 mil) plus a young player like Critton or Young... better yet trade Mike James and Stevenson and future conditional draft pick... Clippers are in rebuilding mold (lol when arent they)... but I can see them swapping out expiring contracts to gain a draft pick and Stevenson has a relatively respectable 2 yrs left at a moderate price who is still somewhat young, his health would be the only sticking point...

Posted by: DaGuru | July 10, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Camby for Mike James and Stevenson and a future conditional draft pick... Is a good personel move as well as finicially...

Posted by: DaGuru | July 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

It's a great trade for us...I just don't see THEM making it.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of potential with Jamaal Magloire. Tough, rebounder, scorer -- and he's been pretty consistent for most of his career, except for the last two years where he bounced between four teams and his minutes shrank. Think he might have gotten injured somewhere in there.

But I used to get him on my fantasy team for several years and he always gave consistent numbers, night after night.

He could probably be had for cheap, because of the last couple years.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 10, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm not opposed to us adding Magloire either.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 10, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The Spurs went out and ate the Wizards' lunch.

An organization that has won 4 championships since 1999 re-made their team for 2009-2010 to complement 33 year old Tim Duncan and give him a chance to compete again in the West.

Lacking a quick small forward who can score? Jefferson on the way.

By dealing your backup bigs, needing a body who can bang and eat up rebounds, McDyess on the way.

Posted by: leopard09 | July 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Camby, as I've posted before, is that they already made a move to get rid of Randolph. That makes Camby useful to them, where before he was expendable. I suppose it's still possible, but far less likely. They needed to unload a big, and unfortunately for us, found a suitor for Randolph. I think the team we should focus on now is the Bobcats who still have too many centers/big men and could really use a solid guard.

Posted by: jon_quest | July 10, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

It sickens me to no end to see that the Wizards are not making a move for a post position player like Gooden. I keep hearing that the Wizards have the fourth highest pay roll in the NBA but they can not compete teams in their division. This team is not going any where until this issue is addressed.

Posted by: SBRUCE8 | July 10, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If Camby is available, EG should've been on the phone discussing him already! If Camby could stay healthy one full season on this Wizards team, they could challenge for a league title--no question about it. But I think Gooden is more doable. I'd love to see the Wiz seek out Camby but they'll say he's not worth $12-15 million (including the luxury penalty). Again, it's that kind of flawed thought process that consistently keeps this team OUT of the ranks of the NBA league elite.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Two people have now mentioned trading for Charlotte Bobcat backup centers. I hope you're joking. The Wizards need to adjust their sight upward in quality--not downward. Why bring in another Pecherov? What this team DOES NOT need is another big non-talented stiff to warm the bench. They shouldn't be looking for a big that they want to develop--they should be looking at a big who has talent and is in demand. Stop shopping at K-Mart for talent. Give Macy's (at least) a try sometimes!

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jasper--

You're a funny guy! Share some of that smoke with me dude!

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 1:21 PM

its easy to say the wizards arent a top 3 or 4 team in the east. especially coming off a 19 win season.

but what you fail to realize is, our Mega Star you know that buzzer beating, nba live cover boy, adidas commercial having loved by everyone over seas megastar was hurt. Even the season he came back, the wizards were still 5th in the eastern conference without him. WITHOUT. so yeas some teams have upgraded but so have the wizards. THREE, 3, thres, three! all stars on our team, and role players playing the roles they SHOULD BE PLAYING and we added depth to the back court with foye and a 3 point marksman miller.

i like our chances, because we didnt have that depth and we were 1st in the east in 06-07 before the allstar break before jamison got hurt, then that messed our chemistry up..then butler broke his hand as soon as jamison came back, and then when butler came back arenas went down. ALL 3 should be healthy after a 3 year hiatus with a decent/good bench and new coaching the wizards are going to be a problem. I dont think a proven coach like flip saunders would hurt his rep with a team he thought couldnt win.

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | July 10, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Leopard 09--

You are so right!! The Spurs are an organization focused on winning. They're making solid moves to keep themselves among the NBA elite. The Wizards and Cheap Abe are focused on padding Abe's pockets.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Draft? Hey, the Spurs didn't fall asleep after Round 1 and found a player in Blair that could have helped the Wizards a lot more than Dominic McGuire, Andray Blatche or DeShawn Stevenson.The last time I checked no one has confused Blatche with being a real 'big' in the NBA despite being 6'11.He plays more like a 6'7 swingman, except with poorer ball handling skills and shooting eye from beyond 10-12 feet.Posted by: leopard09"

The Wiz in effect sold their shot at Blair for 2.5 mil. You may not like that move, but any team owner would. The guy has ACL problems, for Pete's sake.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

In the category of "I Did Not Know That' about Randy Foye:

1. He was apparently Villanova's best on the ball defender in college. He's strong and quick. In the pros, he had trouble with the quicksilver guys like Chris Paul, But he's very effective against shotting guards and other combo guards.

2. As a rookie with the Wolves, he played behind... wait for it... Mike James.

3. "Foye has the rare condition situs inversus, which means his organs are arranged as the mirror image of a normal person's: for example, his heart is in the right side of his chest rather than the left. However, it is not expected that this fact will have an impact on his game."

Posted by: Samson151 | July 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche may sometimes play like a 6'7" swingman, but Blair actually IS a 6'6" power forward who played last season at around 300 pounds. Think about the implications of that for a moment. Blair's the sort of player that a pro coach can love -- as long as he's playing in college."

EPeople talk like the Spurs got the steal of the draft. The likelihood of Blair seeing anything other than token blowout minutes on the Spurs is remote at best. Like I said before, if racks up fewer than 40 DNP_CDs, I'll be shocked.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

,i>"Hey, the Spurs didn't fall asleep after Round 1 and found a player in Blair that could have helped the Wizards a lot more than Dominic McGuire, Andray Blatche or DeShawn Stevenson."

I see almost no chance that Blair is more useful or productive for the Spurs than McGuire will be for the Wiz.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young is better than Foye people deal with it.

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Camby can play both C and PF would allow Clippers to play Kaman, Camby and Griffin in a 3-men rotation. His one year contract also allows Clippers to play Griffin behind Camby for now and promote him to starter next season. So there is very unlikely that Clippers will trade Camby now that they have already traded Randolph, which was their best case scenario to begin with anyway, they would consider trading Camby only if they could not find takers on Randolph.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 10, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey in the end any big man we get will be better then what we had before with Etan Thomas.

Posted by: bangscc | July 10, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | July 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 1:26 PM

For a power forward, Gooden is good. But the Wizards need a tall, large center who can manhandle other bigs.
We already have what Gooden has to give:

2008 season averages
Blatche 24 mins/10 pts/5.3 rebs/ 1.7 TOs
Gooden 24.8min/11.9pts/7.1rebs/ 1.5 TOs
Jamison 38mins/22.2pts/8.9rebs/1.5 TOs

Posted by: rickgonz | July 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Otis thorpe - isn't he exactly what everyone agrees this team needs? maybe he can come out of retirement. I mean he's only like 46, right?

Posted by: Blurred | July 10, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the question in this thread was who improved the most this offseason.

If the definition is who is the most improved team from last season, the answer hands down is the Wiz. If the definition is who improved the most to put them over the top for a championship, the answer would probably be the Spurs. The Wiz were off the radar nationally last year, but I think they will be right back on it 20 games into this seaon when they start 13-7.

I see them making the second round and making that a very competitive series. They need to do something about the backup big man situation to go any further than that this season.

By the way, Jamison's contract is looking better every day after sideshow Bob signed for 50 mil. What a joke!

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 10, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We already have what Gooden has to give.

Rick--

If you believe that, you don't follow the NBA too closely. To put Blache in the same sentence with a rebounder like Gooden is just assinine. Regardless of the numbers, there is NOT ONE NBA team out there that would take Blache over Gooden. NOT ONE.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | July 10, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what happened to Oberto. But, I think he would be perfect for us. Much more so than Gooden or Wilcox. We need fundamentals, fouls, positioning, height, and a few boards. Whalla! Oberto!

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

ummm, NothingButTheTruth, your wrong about that. Say what you will about Blatche he still has a skill-set and upside that Gooden does not possess. So to say NOT ONE is ridiculous on your part and definitely not the truth!!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok - seriously, as much as I loved Otis Thorpe -

A) Does anyone think that Javale is making the improvements necessary to step up and be a legit NBA backup center this year?

B) Will he be ready to be a starter in 2010 when we give up on Haywood?

I was amazed at his athletics last year and saw a few minutes where it all seemed to "click" in his head, but for the most part, he looked young and lost. But I LOVED seeing his potential.

Posted by: Blurred | July 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Grant Hill signs with Phoenix.

Channing Frye does so as well (for the biannual exception of just under $2mill)

Posted by: mabkhar | July 10, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Nick Young is better than Foye people deal with it.Posted by: anacostia85"

As written, that's a nonsense sentence, you know.

Deal with it.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 10, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"and for what it's worth, Brandon Bass signs with the Magic for $4.5 for 4 years. (sounds like the MLE)"

Take a closer listen.

Bass's deal is reportedly $18 mill for 4 years. The MLE is 5.854 mill. A 4-year full MLE deal would be at least $23.4 mill (and that's without factoring in the almost obligatory annual raises that would kick in in years 2-4).

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Great pickup by the Magic, BTW.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

As written, that's a nonsense sentence, you know.

Deal with it.

What he said.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to blow the MLE all in one place.

Even if it isn't the actual MLE, the got the guy for the same amount of money.

Relevant to the discussions here, is that Channing Frye could have been had for nearly $2million, or the grand total of what we gave up a 2nd rd pick for and the luxury tax rebate to cover the tax hit we would have taken. The Suns got a steal.

I have a hard time seeing the Frye deal setting the market for back-up PFs.

Posted by: mabkhar | July 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Everbody is saying wait till the season starts...that is true...wait till the season starts and look at the teams who are willing to spend luxury cap money in order to win a championship.....when I go to vegas that's who I'll be putting my money on to win it all.

NOT THE WIZARDS!!!!!!!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"We already have what Gooden has to give:"

Really? We have low post scoring in a legit big man's body? Really? Where?! Where?! Come out come out wherever you are!!

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

People on here are giving the Wizards credit for going over the luxury cap?

The Wizards were over the luxury cap at the end of last season?

And since then they have nothing to improve the team (wait sell the 2nd round pick and trade the 1st round pick and collect money from the NBA teams who want to win championships)?

CHEAP is CHEAP

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Even if it isn't the actual MLE, the got the guy for the same amount of money."

What are you talking about? His contract averages 4.5 mill/yr. The MLE is just under $6 mill/yr. That is not "the same money." Again (since you clearly didn't read it the first time), a full MLE deal would be almost $4.5 mill more than what Bass is making.

Now if your point is that they spent a portion of the MLE to sign him, then the response to that is: What's your point? Yeah they spent part of the MLE to sign him. So?

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

To be clear:

Again (since you clearly didn't read it the first time), a full MLE deal would be almost $4.5 mill more than what Bass is making over the course of the entire deal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, in a weird way, Bass is more what Orlando needed last season than Vince Carter.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 10, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Blurred wrote:

"For those of you who don't remember, "Honest Abe" got rid of Sheed and Webber because they were criminals...not beacause of their basketball abilities. the trades were horrendous and ruined the team for over half a decade, but he did it because he couldn't stomach paying reckless driving, druggy, gun toting rapists. So he got a couple players with top notch work ethic and morals, but waning skills (who could ever impugn the integrity of Otis Thorpe? anyone?)

Of course, I guess he didn't mind trading hard working Rip for whiny, petulant assault artist Stackhouse though."

----

If I remember correctly, they got rid of Sheed in part because he was a headache (I don't remember him being an actual criminal, just Webber), but also because they had three PFs (Howard, Webber and Sheed), none of whom wanted to play center. They traded Sheed for Rod Strickland, who, though he was never my favorite PG, was a significant part of the crew that got the Wiz back into the playoffs (only to be swept by Jordan's Bulls - but no shame there).

The Rip for Stack deal as I recall was one of the early moves of the MJ regime, when he decided that the Wiz needed more of an SG who could 'create his own shot.' Chalk it up to Abe having a little 'MJ blindness'....a problem he would soon rectify.

Posted by: ts35 | July 10, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"People on here are giving the Wizards credit for going over the luxury cap?

The Wizards were over the luxury cap at the end of last season?

CHEAP is CHEAP

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 5:20 PM "

CHEAP is worse when you waste money on a team that's lottery bound.

The funny thing is that I think every single player on the roster was brought here by EG with the exception of BTH, and only BTH and Caron plays solid D.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 10, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, if we could get Jamison off our books, things would be so easier. That contract is chokeholding this franchise.

(I am ignoring the $100 million man as of now, scared out of my mind thats going to be J. Howard part II).

Not to mention, the other teams 4 spot wouldnt score 25 per game every night.

First 20 games will tell a lot about this ball club. I have a sinking feeling if we are not in the playoff picture at the AS break, we could be in for a major shake-up, as we have plenty of expiring contracts to deal!

Make moves!

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | July 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

"

Grant Hill signs with Phoenix.

Channing Frye does so as well (for the biannual exception of just under $2mill)

Posted by: mabkhar | July 10, 2009 4:57 PM "

Yes, as reported by Mike Lee yesterday, Les BouleS are waiting for the bottom of the barrel players to come down on their contract demands.

Les BouleS brass think this will happen as the best FA's get signed, while the worst players remain. As other teams fill up their roster with the better players, and options for these less desirable players dry up, they'll have no choice but to sign with Les BouleS.

That's what you call going the cheap route, and that's why the Les BouleS players are filled with these type of players that EG will eventually need to ship out anyway.

I hope the remaining players go to Europe instead.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 10, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Bass was a great pickup for the Magic. He replaces and probably improves on what they lost in Gortat. If I were Orlando, I would have kept Hedo instead of getting Vince, but time will tell.

Frye was never a great option for the Wiz because IMO we need a little more beef, not just more length.

We will likely end up with Magliore or someone like him, but I don't think his numbers have gone down because his minutes have gone down, I think it's the other way around. His game is definitely heading south.

Gooden would be an improvement in as much as he can do damage down low and hit the glass, but mentally I don't know where he's at, and it's interesting that not many teams seem to be biting. If the dollar figure is low enough, his talent certainly warrants taking a chance. But you would run into a logjam of minutes with him and AJ. Plus, I think there has to be a cap on how much bad facial hair you can have on one team.

Still thinking (as most probably are) that we end up with one vet big body for the bi-annual exception and a second big body who will be a D-leaguer or rookie they can sign for the minimum.

Posted by: ts35 | July 10, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how I feel about him, so asking y'all. What about Glen Davis? As good as the numbers he put up at the end of the season, or the next coming of Mel Turpin and 'Hot Plate' Williams?

Posted by: ts35 | July 10, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Davis is restricted. They'd have to offer him a deal big enough to prevent the Celtics from matching, which would mean overpaying for him. he's not the kind of player you overpay for.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 10, 2009 5:29 PM

Just like how Antawn Jamison fits in here.

Before anyone goes there Zach Randolph averaged the same numbers as AJ last year!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

i'm warming to the idea of waiting it out and signing someone towards the end of the free agent bonanza, or even waiting till the middle of the season to make a trade. It might do some good to evaluate the team under saunders and with some games under the belt. Stay in contention and then figure out exactly what piece you need to go to the next level...instead of now where it's a lot of speculation and hope.

perhaps if drew gooden (for example) has his value go down because of an overflooded free agent market, it would be easier to trade james for a package including him (or anyone) after they've signed a cheaper contract out of desperation.

personally, i'd just like the season to start again...

Posted by: crs-one | July 10, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

"Channing Frye should fit right in with the Suns. He's a weak rebounding, jumpshooting big who plays no defense.Posted by: kalo_rama

Just like how Antawn Jamison fits in here.
Posted by: bulletsfan78"

OK, now I'm baffled. Jamison and Randolph both averaged double digits or close to it in rebounds, right? So would you compare them to weak-rebounding Channing Frye?

Or did you misspeak?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 10, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Gooden looks good on paper but he's been moved a lot. And by teams still looking for PF help. There has to be a reason for that.

Ideally, the Wizards get a PF that can push/replace Blatche on the cheap. Leon Powe (coming of an injury) or Ike Diogu would be good pick ups. Both would probably be willing to sign short term contracts if they had a shot at PT. I don't know how Chris Mihm's ankle is but he seems like the kind of Center the Wizards should be looking for. A guy towards the end of his career, willing to warm the bench but able to step in and play some minutes if the need arises.

Posted by: djnnnou | July 10, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Ideally, the Wizards get a PF that can push/replace Blatche on the cheap....

Posted by: djnnnou | July 10, 2009 9:09 PM "

What a strategy!

LMAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

You are right I was wrong...it should be

Antawn Jamison fits in with the Wizards. He's a jumpshooting big who plays no defense.

Better?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 10, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I picked Dallas as the most improved after what they did with Marion and Gortat. But it's so close, there's going to be some crazy basketball being played- the league is now better than it's been for a couple decades at least- does anyone agree with me on that? The level of competition is heightening, and it's reflected in part by the astoundingly talented and deep recent drafts since the new millenium.

One thing I would say is that, though I am biased, the Wizards did an excellent job in a *stealthy* way common to Ernie G. He picks an up and coming player in Foye just before they hit their prime (in the same way he picked up Caron). Both Caron and Foye were a little under the radar and he got them for excellent value because they hadn't yet shown what they could *really* do. Ernie's genius is two-fold- bringing in *positive impact* players for a good price, and bringing in talent that is not yet ripe, but ready to ripen for a discount. He did the former in a less striking, but still intelligent way with Darius. Darius only helped when he was on the court. He was a great, great pickup that the Wiz got for a great price. For all his critics, we are very lucky to have such an intelligent AND frugal GM calling the shots- we know he wants to win, that's a fact. Remember how he came down to the courtside seats when the Wiz were getting blown out in one of the early games of the Cavs-Wiz first round 07-08? Freakin' intense! Imagine being one of the Wizards, then? They came back the next game to stuck it to Lebron.

I don't know if we will ever win a championship under Ernie- championships are extremely hard to come by- but we can be sure that we'll be very competitive... and maybe one of those rings will slip on our fingers somehow- with a little luck, a little grit, and a little Gilbert?

Posted by: jistutz | July 10, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Also, for all the Jamison's defense haters: he is certainly not a defensive stopper, but, I think he allows the press to criticize his defense so that it stays under the radar. He hustles the whole game, he just doens't move his feet on defense very well. But look at his stats- how many multiple block/multiple steal games does he get? Lots! Especially when the Wizards are intentionally focusing on D for certain games (which by the way they can only keep up for a few games at a time before they get worn out, noting their prowess in the famous 07-08 vs. Celtics wins and then the weary drop off afterwards). Jamison is a leader in all respects. To me, a leader maybe doesn't alway play perfect basketball, but he damn sure gives it everything he has- we are lucky to have him as a mentor for our youth.

Posted by: jistutz | July 10, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"To me, a leader maybe doesn't alway play perfect basketball, but he damn sure gives it everything he has- we are lucky to have him as a mentor for our youth.

Posted by: jistutz | July 10, 2009 11:47 PM "

Sounds like you missed watching most of the games last season when MeTawn did a lot of "oleys" on defense.

MeTawn also admitted being lost on the defensive end with BTH being out.

MeTawn did lead Les BouleS into the lottery last season, so in that respect, he is a leader.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 10, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The other probable factor hindering EG's ability to get the top FA C/PFs to come to the Wiz, that EG doesnt talk about is that they prefer to go to other teams. If you were a sought after PF or C and the dollars being offered were equal, would you pick the Wiz over: LA, Boston, Orl (no state income tax), Dallas (no state income tax), San Antonio (no state income tax), Phoenix, Toronto (no state and less federal tax), or Cleveland? So Ernie basically has to wait for each of these teams to get their first choices and then he can start to solicit for the Wiz. Detroit jumped in early and overpaid for their FA's...the rest are waiting just like the Wiz.

Posted by: oddjob2 | July 11, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, if its gonna be corrupt, how much will the Celtics take to allow us to steal Odom from the Lakers?? Just sayin'...

Posted by: frak | July 11, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

"The lottery is corrupt, smells like.. Why not have a straight-up pick like the NFL and other leagues?? The behind the scenes for the Cavs to land Lebron was a dead giveaway.

Posted by: frak | July 11, 2009 1:30 AM "

The argument against this is that teams would have an incentive to tank when they know they are close to the top pick. Of course, with Les BouleS, they weren't "tanking," they were just that bad.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 11, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey, DC_MAN88, this famous quote is for you:

A cynic knows the cost of everything
but the value of nothing.

Posted by: jistutz | July 11, 2009 4:29 AM | Report abuse

"Hey, DC_MAN88, this famous quote is for you:

A cynic knows the cost of everything
but the value of nothing.

Posted by: jistutz | July 11, 2009 4:29 AM "

And quotes like the are almost as worthless as the time you invested in typing it onto this blog.

BTW, there has been no value that Les BouleS have provided to the fans and in "competition" with other teams in the league.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 11, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Finally.... Rumors are circling around Marcus Camby, appartently he is getting alot calls about his services from contending teams and has recently spoke with Clippers GM about his situation... Yes Yes Yes Yes.... I hope were one of those teams... Again these are rumors... but thats a start... its about time... I just could not imagine going through the summer without his name mention in some type of trade talk...

Ernie make that call if ya haven't already...

Posted by: DaGuru | July 12, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse