Wizards Face Almost $6 Million Luxury Tax Penalty

The Washington Wizards knew that the tax man likely was coming to collect next year, but now they have a better idea of how much they'll pay after the NBA announced both the salary cap and the luxury tax level for 2009-10 late Tuesday night.

The salary cap will be $57.7 million and the luxury tax level will be $69.92 million next season, which is down from last season when the respective numbers were $58.68 million and $71.15 million. The cap declined for just the second time since it was instituted in 1984, although league-wide revenue increased 2.5 percent.

The Wizards currently have a payroll of $75.8 million for 13 players and would owe roughly $6 million in luxury tax penalties. That tax penalty will likely increase if the Wizards add more players to their roster in free agency.

The mid-level exception is $5.854 million next season, but you can be assured that the Wizards have no intention of using that to add frontcourt help, since the dollar for dollar tax penalty would make that free agent worth about $12 million (that essentially took Antonio McDyess out of the equation for next season). They intend on adding a forward by using their bi-annual exception which is worth $1.99 million (which will work out to about $4 million in tax penalties).

That $2.5 million on draft night should soften the blow some.

NBA commissioner David Stern had hinted throughout the season that the recession would decrease, but this actually was a result of a formula used to set the cap and tax under the collective bargaining agreement. The new salary cap went into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, when the league's moratorium period on signing free agents and making trades ended.

I've been out for a short break, but I'll check back in with a longer post in the morning.

By Michael Lee |  July 7, 2009; 11:50 PM ET
Previous: Pistons Make Moves | Next: Wizards Being Patient With Free Agency

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Great report by Mike on how Les BouleS aren't going to do whatever it takes to win as EG continues to waste money on guys that haven't done the job.

Antonio M. wasn't going to be a make it or break it player, but he'd certainly make more of an impact than a $1.9 mil dude.

If everybody makes it back healthy and stays healthy, Les BouleS should be decent, but for sure, there are no championship aspirations with this organization.

Of course, the team may turn upside down again when potentially Foye, Emineum, Caron, and/or BTH could be gone after this season.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 12:15 AM

DC_Mann88

Who is Emineum?

Posted by: MeviousMan | July 8, 2009 12:20 AM

"Dear kalo-rama,

I humbly request that you reveal your secret; the one where DCman_88 never eh eh ever responds to your post with snide remarks? No one else can seem to avoid his daily farts and parrot-like 'Les Boules' talk the way you can. (He's probably typing his response as I speak)

At first I thought that he just always agreed with you, but that would mean he sniffs your jock straps. I don't believe this is true...

Then I thought he was scared of you or at the very least intimidated. But that would mean he loses his street cred in DC.

I just want to post my opinion like you do without fear of DCman88 mumbo jumbo.

HOW DO YOU DO IT? I'm gonna keep asking until I learn it!

(btw DCMan_1988-congrats on finally being able to go to a bar and buy a drink son)

Posted by: Vicc | July 8, 2009 12:28 AM

Well it looks like the team is pretty much set as is, we better hope the kid from Gonzaga pans out and that Javale McGee and Kwame jr.(Blatche) have a great summer.

Can't wait for summer league to start, Javale is the wild card for this organization and could be a big piece of the puzzle for next season.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 8, 2009 1:24 AM

Street cred in DC. Funny.

Posted by: dabing | July 8, 2009 2:00 AM

$4M-2.5M=$1.5M. unless blair's starting salary would have been greater then $750k then the trade was not worth it on pure economic grounds.

the minimum salary for an nba player with no experience in 2009-10 (which blair would have gotten) is more or less 458k.

in short they would save $600k by drafting and signing blair rather then spending the $1.99m exception on an equally scrubby veteran.

the only way the trade makes saves money financially is if they sign a player for the one year vet(a la lang) minimum which is $736k (x2) or the rookie minimum (in wich case why not blair).

no matter how the brass spins it, they are going to either be paying around the same for a worse player or more for an equal player. trading the 2nd round pick for cash = fail. penny wise pound foolish.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 8, 2009 2:41 AM

I really need that longer post explaining this one.

How can the cap go down if the league revenues go up? What kind of wacky math formula is that? Further, if it's the result of the formula, why is it this is only the second year in which the cap has gone down?

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 8, 2009 3:07 AM

So instead of putting the best team on the court, the Wizards philosophy is to find someone by using their bi-annual exception?

The mid-level exception is $5.854 million next season, but you can be assured that the Wizards have no intention of using that to add frontcourt help, since the dollar for dollar tax penalty would make that free agent worth about $12 million?

That makes no sense at all when you consider the $2.5 million they made on draft night and the 750,000 from last year’s draft pick. The truth is a MLE player would cost them 8.458 million next season. Since they intend on adding a forward by using their bi-annual exception (which is worth $1.99 million), they will end up paying 4.6 million in luxury tax penalties this year.

Come on kal since you are the self proclaimed cap guru? Tell us how much Cheap Abe has made from the other teams by not going over the cap over the years? If you take that total plus interest, I am sure it would cover the 4.6 million he will pay this year!

If the old man goes out and spends the MLE on a player that would help them win a championship, I will never call him cheap again! It’s not like he’s pulling a Mark Cuban where he is willing to go over the cap to win. The motivating factor behind getting rid of the picks on draft day was to save money!

WAKE UP PEOPLE, CHEAP ABE, DOESN’T CARE ABOUT WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP and nobody (not even kal and Irene) believe the Wizards knew the cap would go down when they signed AJ and Gil to their contracts a couple of years ago.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2009 5:07 AM

Total revenue and the cap can move in opposite directions because some revenue streams have less of an effect on the cap than others. For example, only part of the revenue from luxury box sales factors into the cap. If luxury box sales increase while other decrease, the total revenue can increase even as the cap decreases.

Posted by: yop32 | July 8, 2009 6:58 AM

Luxury boxes are sold before the start of the season. Since the season started before the recession hit high gear, luxury box revenues probably outperformed other sources of league revenue.

Posted by: yop32 | July 8, 2009 7:01 AM

daily farts? LOL

Well this should come as no surprise to anyone. It would be ludicrous to assume that Abe would spend double for a backup. He'll have to bite the bullet this year and then trade Mike James's expiring contract at the end of the year.
The only option we have is a cheap Lang, Edwards, PJ Ramos type who might cause us all to cringe if they actually got into a game. We should have kept Pech. He was big, cheap, and it's fair to assume the Timberwolves weren't insistent on him being part of the deal.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 7:10 AM

PindarPushkin, thank you.

It didnt have to be Blair but any 2nd round PF or C would have been a better deal. It SHOULD have been Blair based on his college career, tho.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 7:11 AM

I believe most coaches in this league either go with a 8 or 10 man rotation.

GA,CB,AJ,BTH,MM,RF,AB,JM,NY,DM make 10.

Unless a big (BTH mainly)gets hurt, we're fine. Going into a season thin at a position is a little risky but we'll be ok. We may just have to go small at times. We could actually do nothing and sign a D Leaguer like Lang only if someone gets hurt. If I were Abe, thats exactly what I would do.

Smallball without Songaila? I miss last year already. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 7:18 AM

I just looked at the Pistons years under Flip and he appears to play his starters only 30-35 mpg or so. He uses his bench a lot. On one of those teams there were 12 guys that got dbl digits in minutes per game.
That's good news for those of us who hated the 40+ that wore down Cb and Aj. It appears that depth could be an issue after all...or Flip has to shorten his bench.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 7:23 AM

"I just looked at the Pistons years under Flip and he appears to play his starters only 30-35 mpg or so. He uses his bench a lot."

I'm thinking he had a better bench in Detroit. If I recall Chuck Daly played a lot of guys, too. Interesting to see whether the pattern holds up in Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 7:29 AM

Lowering the cap allows the NBA to lower player salaries, mainly for free agents. There won't be as much for players moving to other teams.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 8, 2009 7:29 AM

How can EG and Flip just sit there and watch as nearly every team in the East improves around us (Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, Orlando, Toronto...etc.).

Meanwhile we go out and get Mike Miller and dump old salaries. Oooooh, I bet the teams in the East are scared about the Wizards. Thanks EG, great strategy.

Posted by: quinn3 | July 8, 2009 7:41 AM

"If the old man goes out and spends the MLE on a player that would help them win a championship, I will never call him cheap again!"

Well ,I hate to agree with a rant but I think this is a true statement.

It's not like they are going to win a championship this year, so my thinking is this is the whole "shell game" for the people of Washington.

Now as the above poster said, if they go out and get someone that can help...let's even say next year when all of those free agents are available then I will eat my words...or in this case my computer. ;)

Until then I am not buying into it. I will watch and I will hope, I just don't think they have all of the pieces right now. I think they are one starter away and maybe a bench guy from doing it however.

Which is why I share in the above posters frustration.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 8, 2009 7:44 AM

Can someone please explain what the difference is between the salary cap and the luxury tax cap? I'm too lazy to wikipedia it and it's probably useful info to have on here.

Posted by: SomebodyBeatstheWiz | July 8, 2009 7:52 AM

Are those numbers including Juan Dixon's salary? Everything I've read has indicated they'll be dropping him.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 7:55 AM

The Wizards will be mediocre. Every other competitor is getting better while we are hoping no one gets injured. Given the fact that we have had a history of injuries, why spend so much money on players we hope will compete at a high level, and we hope won't get hurt (when they have a history of doing so). A lot of stupid decisions were made in the last two years. We're floundering while the Celtics, Cavaliers, Pistons, and almost every other team is making impressive moves. We're left hoping.. that's not enough for this fan!

Posted by: lk11 | July 8, 2009 7:57 AM

Name a free agent that wants to play in Washington and will improve the team. The ones I think of are riding LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, and TDuncan, etc.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 8:02 AM

It is amazing to have such an expectation.The wiz has improved but not a shampionship contender.No owner want to pay such a huge lexury tax by hiring a FA.It sounds frustrating but we need to put a little trust on what the owner and Gm are doing this year.They have corrected 70% of the mistake they made in the last 4 years.They have no room for further mistake at this point.Oviously they are going to get a veteran from FA for insurance purpose.They definately need to relay on the two young big men.They have to give enough minutes to JM and AB.If we have to win we need to learn to win with our roster i think that was the main reason to have a big name coach, if not we will rebuild probably seal the team for a better owner.
We need to expect a big trade if washington is not one of the top 4 teams in the east by the mid season.Butler,james and even Ny and others with a trade value will go.Haywood will not be offered more than 40 million for 5 years, mike miller and foye may not sign.if washington trade butler with an expiring contract they will have 30 million cap space next year at this time.They could still be a play off team.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 8, 2009 8:15 AM

Everything you ever wanted to know about NBA salaries:

Juan Dixon does not have a contract with the Wizards. He does not need to be waived or dropped as he no longer plays for the team.

Posted by: rickgonz | July 8, 2009 8:17 AM

"he Wizards will be mediocre. Every other competitor is getting better while we are hoping no one gets injured. Given the fact that we have had a history of injuries, why spend so much money on players we hope will compete at a high level, and we hope won't get hurt (when they have a history of doing so). A lot of stupid decisions were made in the last two years. We're floundering while the Celtics, Cavaliers, Pistons, and almost every other team is making impressive moves. We're left hoping.. that's not enough for this fan!Posted by: lk11"

lk11 is echoing sentiments heard a lot here, but ultimately I think he's incorrect. If the Wiz are only average this coming season, it won't be because they failed to improve themselves in the offseason. It'll be because they were a 19 win club last season and one or more of their stars isn't playing well.

Yes, they're thin inside, but IMO they were thin inside before the trade, too, because they had guys who couldn't be counted on to contribute. The one exception being Songaila, and we saw what happened when he played at the 5. He was continually overmatched. Heck, he was frequently overmatched at the 4 by taller, speedier players.

And no matter what you think of Grunfeld, he added two pieces the Wiz lacked last season: a very good combo guard, and a very good wing player. I'm sure if Minnesota had offered Love or Jefferson, he'd have listened, but they held on to those guys -- in part, I suppose, because Love and Jefferson are better inside prospects than anybody in this draft (other than Griffin).

So it may be a contrarian view, but it's a reasonable one. The Wiz should be considerably better than last season. Will that be good enough for the fanz? We'll see.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 8:24 AM

Sorry, I meant Etan Thomas. There were so many bad performance last year, I'm starting to get confused...

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 8:25 AM

The difference between the current roster ($75.8) and the luxury tax ($69.9) is $5.9 million.

Juan Dixon made

On the other hand, Mike James makes $6.25 mill and is clearly expendable, as is DeShawn Stevenson and his $3.6 million.

The team also has a trade exception of close to $ 1.4 million AND a luxury tax rebate of $2.9 million. (not to mention all the "lottery" winnings we seem to come away from draft night with)

I have no problems whatsoever with Abe and Ernie doing everything possible to field the best roster possible for under $70M. I cannot call the roster that we have the best available. It isn't even balanced! 4 bigs for 2 spots for 48 minutes a game, while 9 guards/small forwards have to scrap for minutes. We could go with true small ball and then get crushed every other night.

The case I am tyring to make is that we have the flexibility to come in under the cap. We will have to trade our way down to the tax line, and hopefully get some rotation help in return.

Posted by: mabkhar | July 8, 2009 8:35 AM

Juan Dixon made less than a million last season.

(Sorry about the cutoff...)

Posted by: mabkhar | July 8, 2009 8:37 AM

I harped on this as last year's trade deadline came a passed: the wiz made a critical error in not trading jamison for expiring contracts (they were offered wally and pavlovic). Such a move would have freed up considerable cap space this season to pursue quality, young free agents and not trash heap refuse. I know... some of you love jamison, but the 4 year deal he received is going to be an ever-tightening noose around the Wiz franchise, and that is why they should have dumped him when he had value. Probably could have signed Marvin Williams and a big man for what wiz are paying jamison.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | July 8, 2009 8:41 AM

Posted by: rickgonz | July 8, 2009 8:50 AM

IMO the wizards can go one of 3 ways to answer their size problem. They must go with what they already have, including one of the guys on the summer league team like others have mentioned the guy from Gonzaga has promise.

They can sign some the veterans who will come on the cheap just to have a big body on the bench. For example, they are supposedly looking at these guys C Rasho Nesterovic, F Channing Frye, C Jason Collins, C Jamaal Magloire. I'd really take any of those but the one I want the most out of the bunch is Frye because he is young and he has the most potential.

Or what I'd really like to see them do is to work out another trade and include Mike James and maybe a young guy in it or a future pick in order to get a veteran big man they can count on to give them good minutes off the bench.

Posted by: avbanig | July 8, 2009 9:07 AM

The GA and AJ deals killed the payroll but it can't be undone unless you trade AJ as part of a package (with DS and James)for Stoudemire (plus someone marginal to balance the deal), since he has an expiring contract.

But, since EG is determined to prove that this is a winning roster, that won't happen. So you need to trade James and DS for a forward (Camby?) to balance the roster better w/o adding to the payroll. Then sign someone for the minimum (Smith?) to add to the bench and hope EG is right, though I have my doubts that they can keep up with the big boys in the East.

Posted by: rocky123 | July 8, 2009 9:07 AM

Samson

I agree 100%. The wizards have improved for now while not selling the future for older players. How many teams in the so-called top 3 of the east have done that.

The wizards do have questions, #1 of which is Gilbert's health. Gilbert's health leads to 2 other questions. What do the wizards really have considering we have never seen the healthy Big 3 with an improved supporting cast. What do you really have? I think it can win the Southeast division and a serious contender in the east. I think the younger players will play with more seriousness now that they are playing with high aspirations now instead of going thru a joke of a year due to lack of health.

A McDyess would help, but if a Haywood went down, he wouldn't be much help in replacing Haywood on his own.

I am not one to sell the farm and start over. Let Ernie's plan play out. This team could contend while Boston, Orlando etc age and regress.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 9:15 AM

What does it take to get banned from this blog? I'm not Jewish and I'm offended.

Moderator? Mike?

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 9:31 AM

Jamison for Sasha and Wally? So you want to strengthen the competition and get rid of our best rebounder?
Whew. That would have been tough one to swallow, dude.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 9:32 AM

To discuss the potential luxury tax for the Wizards is fairly ridiculous at this stage. Frankly, I can't believe that Mike bothered to post about it.

Last time I checked, the Wizards have way too many guards, and are thin in the front-court. That alone is a pretty good indication of what their plans are. Say that Ernie Grunfeld was to place a billboard in front of the Verizon center reading, "WE INTEND TO TRADE SOME OF OUR PLAYERS OVER THE SUMMER". Would the message be any clearer than it is now?

Posted by: satchmore | July 8, 2009 9:42 AM

Aj1000 you just displayed your ignorance and stupidity in one comment. Hard to do but you succeeded. Congrats

Posted by: rocky123 | July 8, 2009 9:43 AM

Aj100's comment is ignorant and anti-semetic. How can you say that Abe Pollin is a cheap Jew when he paid $200M of his own money to build the Verizon Center? Or Leonsis who loses money every year trying to make the Capitals the biggest sports name in town? To group these owners with a criminal like Bernie Madoff is absurb. What about all of those other white collar criminals who are serving jail time right now for committing fraud?

I thought this was a Wizards blog, not a forum for anti-semetic venom!!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2009 9:49 AM

Abe Pollin is 90 years old- what does he need to save money for? Retirement?

Go for broke with the full mid-level + lux tax Abe! A championship will bring you far more satisfaction than pinching pennies.

Although I did see Abe getting a $12 dollar hair cut at the Bradley Blvd barber shop, so probably not.

Posted by: natsemple | July 8, 2009 9:51 AM

Who's to say that the changes made by those teams will work? Sheed could implode in Boston, Shaq could wind up being a failed experiment in Cleveland like he was in Phoenix, etc. Of course, we have a new coach and system, so it's impossible to predict how we will fare. Strictly looking at talent, though...

We can match up as good as or better offensively with any team in the league. Offense can get you 50 regular season wins. It's the postseason where defense has mattered the most.

If we were able to run and gun to 45-50 wins and a first round exit, I would be really happy with that. I know a lot of posters here would not, tho. We need to take an incremental step forward. We also need to realize that we have a new coach, new system, and some new players (Gil/MM/RF). For all intents and purposes, Gil is new since his game may have changed and he's been gone for a while.

I think this will be a successful (above .500) year but am tempering my enthusiasm.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 9:52 AM

I think the team is definitely capable of a top 5 seed in the playoffs right now and then could possibly do some damage if they get out of the first round.

The supporting cast is very much improved around the big 3. Miller is the perfect offensive compliment to Gil at the 2 and Foye is a great back up for either the 1 or 2 spot. I think people are really underestimating those 2 players.

Our starting 5 can really do some damage with gil, mm, cb, aj, bh. And then to be honest I really like our young backup guys off the bench; Foye, Young, Dom, Blatche, JaVale.

However, the problem is when any one of those players goes down because you know it is going to happen. No chance the entire big 3 stays healthy and im sure some of the role guys will go down too. If Gil or Miller cant go then Foye steps in. If both cant go you plug in Foye and Young which I am fine with. If CB is out I am alright with either Dom or blatche at the 3. Blatche and McGee at 4 and 5 worries me a bit though. So with all that being said I feel a guys like Shelden Williams could really help us out.

We would have a nice 4 or 5 guard rotation with Gil, Miller, Foye, Young, Stevenson and then a good big rotation with AJ, BH, Blatche, McGee, Sheldon.
Caron and Dom would hold down the 3 spot

I feel that team could really compete and surprise ppl

Posted by: jeffco01 | July 8, 2009 9:55 AM

On a more positive note, I'm sure that EG is working the phones to try to package Mike James along with one of our young guards to acquire a bigman. You can't fault management for not wanting to take another huge luxury tax hit to use the full MLE on a team that won 19 games and who's prospects are iffy for next year. It's quite possible that EG is waiting until mid-season before making further moves after seeing how the Big 3 perform together assuming they are healthy.

To expect the Wiz to have given the full MLE exception to a player that wasn't going to put us over the top simply isn't realistic. We aren't in the position of the Celtics, Cavs, Lakers, or Spurs who expect to compete for a championship next year. There's a reason that Rasheed Wallace signed to be a 6th man with the Celtics - he wants a shot at another ring.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2009 9:59 AM

Stevens went on to a HOF career in NJ and lead the Devils to 3 Stanley Cups.

Just imagine the players the Wizards could have traded for, signed as free agents or moved up to draft if they had retained their cap flexibility and/or gotten something in sign and trade for Jamison and vacating the Arenas contract.

This mistake will keep the Wizards as a 43-44 win #6 or #7 seed in the East for the forseeable future with decline inevitable as these 29-31 year old players age.

You are looking at 2012-2013 before the club realistically can fix things in order to redo the roster and have a legitimate chance of contending for something other than second place in the Southeast Division.

Posted by: leopard09 | July 8, 2009 10:00 AM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 12:15 AM

Moron, it's called an economic downturn dope. As I wrote on draft night here on these blogs on why so many teams were trading for cash or picks.
Everyteam will concoon.

Read & learn 2nd grader.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:14 AM

what is sooo spectacular about those other teams and thier starting 5 compared to ours?

Posted by: mrhney03 | July 8, 2009 9:56 AM

The problem is the Wizards don't have anyone that can guard

Orl....Howard
Bos....Garnett
Clev...Shaq and Lebron

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2009 10:15 AM

You guys do realize that Cheap Abe is a jew rite? So again, what is the suprise here? Does Donald Sterling, Bernie Madoff, Ted Lerner, etc ring a bell?
Posted by: Aj1000 | July 8, 2009 9:09 AM

& You know they all are richer than you & speak & write better than you right?
Get the connections nazi? Don't hate cause they got more coin & ed than you project chefboyardy.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:19 AM

leopard

I like the roster as it is for now and 4 - 5 years down the line, if Gil is healthy. Can't do nothing about Antawn's age.

You said you wish you could have traded up in the draft or bring free agents if Gil and Antawn were not resigned. The free agent scenario is pure speculation. All these teams freeing up cap space. I guess we should trade our roster for the Knicks. Then the fans would be happy, while praying that somebody takes our money to play for us. Keep in mind, New York is a favored city by the commish and the wizards are...the wizards in his mind, and get no favorites. Would Wade choose Washington without another superstar to play with? Would LeBron? Everybody is looking to double-up, not single up.

Be thankful for what you got cause we could have a roster put together by Unseld.

How soon we forget

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 10:20 AM

original mark,
You must not have read my post. the purpose of disposing of jamison, who lead this team to 19 wins last year, for expiring contracts would be to allow the wiz to clear space in order to acquire players who would actually improve this team. Instead, we'll be saddled with a starting lineup and a bench that is full of soft 4s who can't guard the post and refuse to play with their back to the basket. If you think that is a recipe for success, then you must not have been watching this team for the last 4 years. Instead, maybe if Jamison were on the Cavs, one of our players would be blowing by him for repeated game winners.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:20 AM

There are reports that the Wizards are considering Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye, Jason Collins, or Jamaal Magloire for 5~10 minutes a game to backup Brendon.

A better deal would be to trade Mike James $6mil contract and upgrade to Drew Gooden who is considerably better than any of these throwaways, unless we would have to take a lesser 'big' player in order to trade James.

Posted by: liveride | July 8, 2009 10:21 AM

The problem is the Wizards don't have anyone that can guard

Orl....Howard
Bos....Garnett
Clev...Shaq and Lebron

The problem is almost nobody on the planet can guard them.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2009 10:22 AM

...
Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2009 5:07 AM

Since you are a jew bigot versed in NBA business accounting, why don't you tell us, since you keep calling him "cheap".

FYI - All the teams (& world) didn't know the cap would go down 2 years ago, but then apparently you didn't either in your personal economy & now you can't afford tickets though you do expound on how others should spend their $.

But hey @ least the Wiz & some other teams are prepping this year...what's your excuse underwater mortgage holder jew bigot?

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:25 AM

"the purpose of disposing of jamison, who lead this team to 19 wins last year, for expiring contracts would be to allow the wiz to clear space in order to acquire players who would actually improve this team."

And, as has been explained/discussed many, many times before, the only way the Wizards could have cleared enough cap space to have more than the MLE to spend of FAs would have been to renounce both Jamison and Arenas. Trading Jamison for expiring contracts would have served no purpose (other than keeping the team under the luxury tax) because as long as Arenas was under contract they would still be over the cap.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 10:27 AM

The problem is almost nobody on the planet can guard them.
Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2009 10:22 AM

jew bigot bullets78 is a real 70's rockets scientist isn't he?

Good call SDMDTSU!

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:28 AM

I think there should be a rule: that should someone post a hate-filled racist/anti-semitic remark, that their personal contact information/email address, etc., will be revealed and that they will be barred from posting on the site in the future.

Just add those provisions to the sign-up rules.

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:29 AM

Posted by: leopard09 | July 8, 2009 10:00 AM

You're looking at that too for the NBA economy there bernanke. Read the Stern prognosis if you know how.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:31 AM

Just add those provisions to the sign-up rules.
Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:29 AM

Like in the context of "cheap" & "abe" such as jew bigot bullets78?
ps - In case you haven't notice, politics & the economy is the #1 game in this town.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:35 AM

The happiest man in the Eastern Conference is Eddie Jordan!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | July 8, 2009 10:35 AM

LeBron is UNSTOPPABLE. Period! Haywood can do as good a job on Howard and Shaq as anyone in the east, considering Shaq aint the same SHAQ. Blatche does a decent job on Garnett too from what I remember. Yes he has to put up or shut up.

Now, who on those teams can stop our best players? They have to stop our weapons too.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 10:36 AM

To clarify: trading Jamison for expiring contracts would have kept them over the cap for the life of those new contracts. Whether they cleared cap space at the end of them would have depended on other moves they made (e.g., holding on to both Mike James and Thomas and, possibly, not re-signing Haywood).

Basically, the choice was between rolling with this same core or scrapping the whole thing and starting almost completely from scratch. (Personally, I thought the lattter wasn't a bad idea, but I knew it wasn't going to happen.)

Coming off a 19-win season and trading their best player, the odds of the Wiz being a big name FA destination would have been slim-to- none.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 10:36 AM

I am not sure we should call people "jew bigots" for referring to Abe Pollin as "Cheap Abe". It is a historically true statement that Abe Pollin has been thrifty, if not cheap, regarding spending on the Bullets. That being said, he does deserve credit for loosening the purse strings a fair amount over the last 5 years or so. However, I think many of us are disheartened by the decision to pocket $2.5M this year instead of getting a very solid PF prospect in Blair without any alternative plan for getting the PF/C help needed --- mind boggling considering most of the alternatives will cost significantly more. The pocketing of $750,000 instead of keeping Bill Walker was likewise confounding.

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:39 AM

"If they struggle, it won't be because they traded Oly Pecherov and Etan James to Minnesota. Neither one of those guys played much last year, because neither is (at present) a very good NBA center. If Haywood gets hurt it wouldn't help if they'd drafted DaJuan Blair in round two, because he's not an NBA center, either."

Straight to the point and dead on.

The Wiz have the talent to be a good, not great, team. Realistically, there's nothing they could have done this summer that would have significantly upgraded that projection. There were no franchise difference makers out there to be had. Grunfeld made some solid moves to improve the team's talent base. Yes, a lot hinges on their key players staying healthy, but that's true for every single team in the NBA.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 10:43 AM

"Also, I think the folks that post political commentary on the Bullets blog should be barred from posting.
Just add those provisions to the sign-up rules.
Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:29 AM

Like in the context of "cheap" & "abe" such as jew bigot bullets78?

Posted by: Rocc00"

Rocc00, the political commentary post above was not directed at you, rather the folks that have made political commentary in the past. In response to the above re the #1 game in town, the WP has numerous blogs for folks to post political commentary on, so there is no need for folks to do it here has they have done in the past.

I think your comment that Bullets78 is a "jew biggot" for referring to Abe Pollin as "Cheap Abe" without more could constitute libel. I don't know him, and I doubt you do either, so let's not go overboard here.

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:46 AM

"The pocketing of $750,000 instead of keeping Bill Walker was likewise confounding. "

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 10:47 AM

"The Wiz have the talent to be a good, not great, team. Realistically, there's nothing they could have done this summer that would have significantly upgraded that projection. There were no franchise difference makers out there to be had."

Is it indeed true that EG does not think there was a single player that could be had for the $7.844M (through FA or trade) that would make the Wiz a team that could compete for the ring in 2009-10? I'm not sure, but would love know the options EG considered...only then would I truly be OK with this approach. It would be nice if EG came and said this publicaly, however it won't happen.

Posted by: oddjob1 | July 8, 2009 11:04 AM

The Wizards made the decison (which no seems very shortsighted) that Agent Zero would be healthy after signing his $111M deal and we would be able to put together a good run last year. Don't forget that even with a 50% Agent Zero, we took Cleveland to 6 games in the 2007 playoffs and won 43 games. EG banked on a healthy roster which did not happen last year.

In hindsight, signing the package of AJ and Arenas has likely handcuffed the team for another 3 years unless the Wiz decide to blow up the entire roster at midseason and trade AJ, Butler, Haywood, etc. I don't see any team taking on Agent Zero's contract even if he returns at 80-90%.

EG has done the best he can this summer to surround the core (Arenas, AJ, Butler, and Haywood) with some proven depth and upgraded us at SG and our outside shooting. Hopefully, a low cost bigman will be signed later this summer as depth. Otherwise, we again roll the dice that Haywood will stay healthy and be able to play 30+ minutes a night.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2009 11:07 AM

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:46 AM

& I would ask the Jewish Defamation League to come to my defense & render their opinions on said poster's verbal presentation. Jsut like anything else in life, there are certain key words you shouldn't put together if anything for poor taste.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 11:10 AM

Mike James for Jeff Foster.

Solves reserve big man issue (with one who plays defense and rebounds).

James 6 mil contract is expiring after the upcoming season. Foster has one more year than that at 6 mil.

Realistic.

Posted by: BigWesGoingToTakeA | July 8, 2009 11:14 AM

The problem is the Wizards don't have anyone that can guard

Neither did the Lakers one on one. That's the beauty of our team. We have enough talent that it should take a team with multiple above average players to beat us. Our problem has been the role player or scrub stepping up against us. If we can stop the Mo Williamses and Damon Joneses from killing us with open 3's, that'll take us a long way.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:17 AM

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | July 8, 2009 10:39 AM

If you had read the ESPN link above you would realize how dire a situation all NBA teams faced with the declining revenue situation.
Taking in less money & having to pay more taxes - as an indiviudal you would know what that would feel like.

That the Wiz are one 6'6" rookie PF away from competing for the title these next 2 years is shortsighted AND GOING ever more over the luxury tax is a formula for further mediocrity.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 11:17 AM

Boy, this has gotten ugly.

Posted by: C-way | July 8, 2009 11:18 AM

ZardsFan1, maybe I didnt read it well or pay close enough attention to it. I agree with you on AJ's defense. I've been saying for years that he was the one player that screwed up our whole rotation...too slow for SF and too small for PF. It forces us to shuffle everyone to fit his skillset.
I just disagreed with the idea someone had for sending him to Cleveland. Anywhere but Cleveland.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:19 AM

As if we don't have enough Guards, The Boston Herald is now reporting (today's paper) that Stephon Marbury is headed to the Washington Wizards.

What is going on?:

Fading Starbury

The Celtics and Stephon Marbury have apparently moved toward an amicable parting.

The point guard, reportedly headed to the Wizards, is also trying his best to find a starting job - something he knows wouldn’t have happened with the Celtics.

“I wanted to stay, but they had other plans, which are cool,” Marbury said yesterday via e-mail. “I had the best time in Boston, and the fans were great.”

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 11:20 AM

Funny, but true. Of course, based on our recent defensive history, he'd be the guy getting wide open threes against us and beating us at the buzzer.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:23 AM

"Is it indeed true that EG does not think there was a single player that could be had for the $7.844M (through FA or trade) that would make the Wiz a team that could compete for the ring in 2009-10?"

What "$7.844M:" are you talking about? The expiring contracts of Thomas and Pech (along with the #5 pick)? Because, if that's what you mean, look no further. He got the players he thought could help in Miller and Foye. It's pretty unlikely he would have gotten significantly more (i.e., a go-to big or a potential game-changing star) for what the Wiz had to offer. And, again, FA wasn't an option, because (A) the most they could have spent there was the MLE and (B) any deal they made would have cost them double because of the luxury tax. There's not a player to be had on the FA market who'd make a big enough difference to be worth spending $11 mil on (roughly twice the MLE).

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 11:27 AM

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 10:36 AM

Exactly! LeBron scored at will but still lost because teams shut down his cohorts. No one can stop 4 good scorers on the court all at once. The Big 3 plus Miller give us 4 scoring options.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:27 AM

Wake up sleepyheads:

BOSTON HERALD-JULY 8: Stephon Marbury to Washington Wizards

Ernie wouldn't be bringing Marbury here unless he had already hatched a deal to move at least another guard or three from our roster. I suspect news is about to unfold.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 11:31 AM

While I agree that Blair isn't a C and wouldn't solve our backup issues there, what happens if AJ goes down? Our starting C is an average rebounder at best. DM tries but doesnt have the size to do it consistently. Ab and Jm are also too light in the azz. We need boards from somewhere and it seemed to me to be a low risk proposition to sign a 2nd rounder who specializes in one of our areas of weakness.
Isn't the draft about shoring up weaknesses?

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:33 AM

Michael Lee,
Do you have anything to report on Stephon Marbury being signed to the Wiz?

Boston Herald broke the story. What's up?

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 11:35 AM

To clarify, I would consider the pf position to be the one where we could least afford an injury. AB is serviceable at C. His PER rating vs C was better than vs. PF's.
We have no real options at PF should AJ go down. Miller can play sf, Foye can play sg or pg. NY/Deshawn can back up the sg.

Losing those rebounds that AJ provides would be, in my opinion, disastrous.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:38 AM

"While I agree that Blair isn't a C and wouldn't solve our backup issues there, what happens if AJ goes down?"

If Jamison goes down, the Wizards are screwed. That's true regardless of whether Blair is here or not.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 11:39 AM

The problem with the ideas of trading away Mike James for a good C or PF, is that someone has to be interested in doing it. So far, I don't think EG has found any takers.

If you can find a team that needs a vet PG, by all means post it and maybe one of EG's staff may take the idea and run with it.

EG has been able to get the pieces he wants, but also has to give what other teams want. So last season to obtain Crittendon (for Daniels), he also had to take on Mike James in a three way trade.

Posted by: rickgonz | July 8, 2009 11:45 AM

Sorry, I meant Crittenton not Crittendon.

Posted by: rickgonz | July 8, 2009 11:46 AM

"There's a reason that Rasheed Wallace signed to be a 6th man with the Celtics - he wants a shot at another ring.Posted by: wizfan89"

Of course he does. And he seems to think he has a better chance in Boston than in San Antonio.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 11:53 AM

Boy, this has gotten ugly.

Posted by: C-way | July 8, 2009 11:18 AM

Go back to sniffing Lebrons boxers please. or park your car in the middle of 495 and just wait

Posted by: mrhney03 | July 8, 2009 11:54 AM

Independent11,

Marbury isn't coming to DC. The rumor is one-sided. From what I understand Marbury wants to come to DC, so his agent has put the story in the press.

Even if the Wizards had the cap space, I'm not sure they would chase after him.

Odds are, as Mike Lee highlights, that the next move is using the biannual exception to sign a veteran to help in the front-court. Other than that, unless the Wizards are able to deal James's or Stevenson's contracts, I'd guess the Wizards stay put until the season starts.

Posted by: JPRS | July 8, 2009 11:58 AM

"Aj100's comment is ignorant and anti-semetic"

Sounds like a troll, too. Looking for a fight.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 11:58 AM

Teams don't want Mike James because of his play on the court. It's the expiring contract that he comes with.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2009 11:59 AM

JPRS,
I was thinking that if Marbury was moving to Washington that might mean that Ernie had a deal underway, possibly packaging James and DeShawn or maybe even Foye.

Just a thought ...

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 12:01 PM

leopard: "Resigning Arenas (injuries) and Jamison (age) to tie up the cap for the next 4-5 years was the kind of set-back move that Pollin last made when he owned the Caps and dumped Scott Stevens for nothing on the trade market because of the Georgetown limo incident in 1990.
Stevens went on to a HOF career in NJ and lead the Devils to 3 Stanley Cups."

Teams do that, however, in all sports. You don't think Jerry Jones is hoping Terrell Owens doesn't embarrass him with 90 catches and 12 TDs in Buffalo? Or Tom Coughlin isn't secretly afraid that Plax Burress will come back to kick his team's butt in a playoff game?

The Red Sox are breathing a sigh of relief that Jason Bay can hit. Otherwise they'd look like idiots.

It's a risky world these guys operate in.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 12:02 PM

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 11:27 AM

Teams will have problems when our reserves are matched up as well. I have said over and over that teams will have a hard time getting stops. The second unit will put pressure on teams if the first units are equal. Teams will have to play a full 48 minutes and our firstliners will have their minutes reduced slightly in most games.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 8, 2009 12:04 PM

The Wiz arent bringing in Starbury, its not happening. Just because some guy in Boston mentions that hes headed here doesnt mean its happening.

Im assuming he's referring to the ESPN Insider blurb from a few months back mentioning DC as a possible landing spot for Starbury.

All of this back and forth BS regarding anti-semitics has to stop. When did this become such a nasty place.

Whoever is moderating this board needs to get rid of all of these idiots asap.

Posted by: DMoney28 | July 8, 2009 12:05 PM

omark: "Isn't the draft about shoring up weaknesses?"

I'd argue the draft is about building up a stable of young players, and trades and free agency are more about shoring up current weaknesses.

Now in the NFL, you can get guys who can come in and be useful right away, beyond the first round. More rare in the NBA.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 12:07 PM

Marbury used to play for Flip Saunders. Saunders seems to have nice things to say about Marbury (article from February 2009):

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 12:08 PM

I should add that the Wiz have plenty of promising young players. I don't know how they'd justify signing any more. Their need is mainly for a vet to back up inside. Or for Blatche or McGee to step up big-time (a riskier proposition).

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 12:09 PM

I'm glad to see someone has finally mentioned defense and rebounding on here. Stockpiling scorers/guards and making the team unbalanced (playing small ball) is a quick way to remain in the 40's in wins...The only way this can make sense is if we make another trade, or if the team knows something about gil's knee that we don't (and he's not back to form). Even with that, it seems as if the wizards and alot of people posting comments fail to realize the need for physical players, defense, paint presence, taking charges etc. This roster/team is far from complete. I am cognizant that you can't build it all back in one year but it doesn't seem as if we are aggressive in the right areas to improve the team. This is a year more than any other I can remember where players could have been "had" and I don't think we used our assets in the off season properly to maximize our roster...We have players that are desireble to other teams, we had a high pick, we had a couple of attractive contracts...we had assets to re-shape the team but as the wizards usually do, they choose to go in a direction that baffles many and have proven over time that they are/will be a mediocre team that will not move into the upper echelon of teams....we will never know exactly why, but they can never have the right combination of management, owner, and coach to get past the point where we are now and will be this year....a team that will max out in the 42-45 win range...

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | July 8, 2009 12:11 PM

"Mike James for Jeff Foster."

I'd take that one but would any team be dumb enough to make it?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 12:13 PM

Thought no one seems to believe it's for real, here's my thoughts:

Ernie has realized that the only way he'll get a decent big man is to trade some talent away. He's not going to touch our big 3. There are no takers for James.

So perhaps he's decided to hang Foye (young proven talent) out there as bait. And perhaps someone agreed to take Foye and James or Foye and DeShawn, and part with a decent big man.

And suddenly Ernie sees value in signing an extra point guard, Marbury, as Gil's backup, for a million to fill the vulnerability left by Foye.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 12:15 PM

"Haywood can do as good a job on Howard and Shaq as anyone in the east, considering Shaq aint the same SHAQ. Blatche does a decent job on Garnett too from what I remember. Yes he has to put up or shut up."

Defending Shaq is a different matter. Unlike Howard, looks to me like Shaq is very adept at passing back out of the post. But Shaq's largely immobile at this point, so a team can front him.

I don't know if there's a good way to defend Garnett. Fortunately he's not really an offensive minded player. If he's healthy, he's sort of like Tim Duncan -- just very, very skilled.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 12:20 PM

Foye can't be traded again right away because we just acquired him unless it's a one for one trade. He has to be a wizard for 60 days before he can be involved in another multi player trade. I think that's all mute because the wizards (and Flip) really like him. We may be getting him at the right time too because he's still on the rise as a player.

The good thing about playing against howard and shaq is that you can always foul them late in games and they don't convert from the line....You just have to have enough big bodies to give up fouls and play tough physical D...and guess what, the wizards don't have many...please balance out this team Ernie....

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | July 8, 2009 12:35 PM

"I think the best way to defend Howard is to stand there with your arms straight up and your body planted squarely between Dwight and the basket. Don't even try to block the shot -- he's too quick, and besides, if he's five feet from the basket, he might well miss it. Brendan should just try to force Howard to run around him to get to the rebound. "

That might work with a big man who's not quick and athletic enough to get around him. That doesn't apply to Howard. If Haywood did that, Howard would just just go around him like an orange highway cone. (Besides, isn't that pretty much how McGee tried to play post defense last season? That didn't work too well.)

The best defense against Howard comes from a big who is both strong enough to push him out and keep him from getting deep position, and nimble enough laterally to move his feet and try to cut Howard off when he tries to take it to the hoop. It also helps if he can make Howard work on the defensive end himself. Kendrick Perkins did a nice job at all of the above, but there aren't lot of those guys just floating around.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 12:49 PM

what is this marbury issue?
You are trying to be positive when you are thinking that EG is trying to use his gards for a trade and want marbury to back up arenas.It is a good thinking,i will pray for that But the negative aspect of this issue is the rumor about the health of Arenas.It looks like the trip of arenas to chicago is based on swelling and pain of Arenas knee,normal MRI for a trial of rehab.TO me EG is trying to get a starting point gard in case agent Zero is taking another year off.I wish it is not the reason,i love arenas I am not wishing this to him and to us but it is a concern.What does mike lee say about it? why every body was quite for 5 days in a raw? there must be something.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 8, 2009 1:04 PM

kalorama: "The best defense against Howard comes from a big who is both strong enough to push him out and keep him from getting deep position, and nimble enough laterally to move his feet and try to cut Howard off when he tries to take it to the hoop. It also helps if he can make Howard work on the defensive end himself."

Yeah, we're screwed there, huh?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 8, 2009 1:15 PM

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | July 8, 2009 12:35 PM
---------------

Yeah, but 60 days would put us in August. Ernie could forseeably put an agreement in writing with another team, and hold off implementing it til August. If that were the case, he'd certainly see a need for Marbury.

I agree that Foye is a great addition, and that we got him at a great time, but we are guard heavy. And if Marbury could make a nice backup to Gil (in lieu of Foye) -- that could mean putting a force down low making it a good move for the team.

Saunders does like Foye. He also really likes Marbury. He's always been complimentary of Marbury and he's coached him in the past.

Posted by: Independent11 | July 8, 2009 1:43 PM

AMEN TO THAT!!! AJ is done! The Wiz should trade him for Big Z RIGHT NOW!!! Put Blatche at the 4 (sink or swim) and have approx. $30 million of cap space when Haywood, Z, Miller, James come off of the books...

And for all of you Jamison apologists, check back in 2012 when he is making close to $14 million and the team is in the toilet...

Posted by: samisunc | July 8, 2009 1:55 PM

"Who is Emineum?

Posted by: MeviousMan | July 8, 2009 12:20 AM "

Your mom.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 6:44 PM

"While I wouldn't call it 'drinking the KoolAid' (that's for you, 88), I agree that the Wiz could wind up having a pretty successful season.

Posted by: original_mark | July 8, 2009 9:52 AM "

Now you're snorting the Kool-Aid powder straight up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 6:48 PM

"You're an idiot as usual (along with a few other math wizards here) who has a 2nd grade understanding of economic from MD.

Everyteam will concoon.

Read & learn 2nd grader.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 8, 2009 10:14 AM "

Idiot.

The only economic downturn was when EG was hired to give away Abe's money. Third highest payroll in the league while freshly coming off a season being the 2nd worst in the league.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the economic downturn, but the economic downturn has everything to do with why your mom's crotch stinks. Soap is too expensive for her.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 6:52 PM

Ernie and Abe were worried about Dejuan Blair's knee surgery from 6 years ago...but they give a billion dollars to a no defense ball hog fresh off two knee surgeries and basically was under the knife for this third when the contract ink dried.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | July 8, 2009 6:53 PM

"Confounding how? What has Walker done in the NBA to suggest the Wizards somehow missed out by not keeping him? Is he better than Foye or Miller? Because if he isn't, odds are that he wouldn't be getting off the bench even if they had.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2009 10:47 AM "

Les BouleS were paid $750k to draft Bill Walker. It has nothing to do with whether or not Bill Walker could have helped this sorry franchise.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 6:55 PM

"What "$7.844M:" are you talking about?"

$5.854M + $1.99M = $7.844M

I really think that if this potential player has the ability to make the kind of difference that puts the Wiz in a position to go after the NBA Championship next year, then whether or not this player is actually worth $15.688M (2 x 7.844 or the total Wiz payout for this player due to the lux tax) is irrelevant. Rather the question becomes is a potential NBA Championship in 2009-10, worth an additional $15.688M to Ernie and Abe...or if you want to subtract the $2.5M they got for the 2nd round draft pick this year, then its basically a question of $13.188M for a potential NBA Championship this coming season. The key of coarse is finding the right guy and I agree none of the current FA's fit the bill...but the Wiz have some time, could even wait until the trading deadline to make a move.

Posted by: oddjob2 | July 8, 2009 8:51 PM

Well Well. I am a big fan of Arenas since him and Jamison torched the then Larry Hughes and Jordan Wizards team a few years back. However I have to admit even with Gilbert being his old self this team will have it bad. Even when Gil was in a zone hitting shots from nearly half court we still lost to those Cavaliers. I will not buy anymore tickets as long as Abe owns this team. This lineup will not win much in the Playoffs. Soon Caron's contract is up then what's going to happen. I will still watch on TV this is an entertaining team but winning a championship as long as Abe owns this team is totally out of the question. We have to wait on Ted Le...

Posted by: bonggong | July 8, 2009 9:17 PM

Another bad year for the Wiz. Jamison should have beeen moved unless they plan to use him a 3. Either way We need to go and get Varajao. Make Cavs suffer some more.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | July 8, 2009 9:53 PM

Posted by: adisli | July 8, 2009 11:16 PM

"DC MAN why do you even care about this sorry franchise if you have only negative things to say about it! This is all you do on these pages complain about something whether is EG, Abe or of course "Gilby"... You are a freaking moron, an imature masochistic idiot that would never be pleased even if "Les Boulez" would win 10 championships in a row. You'd still find somehting to complain about because this is what your pathetic life is all about. Now say something about my mom you imbecile!!!!

Posted by: adisli | July 8, 2009 11:16 PM "

Why would I want to talk about a dirty whor#? She's pathetic enough as she is.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2009 11:40 PM

"I am assuming the Wiz could spend the mid-level and the bi-annual on the same player if they chose to--whether it on be free agent or making up the difference on a sign and trade deal."

You assume wrong. The two exceptions cannot be combined nor can they be used as cap space in a trade. They can only be used in straight-up signings of FAs for whom the Wiz do not hold Bird rights.

"I really think that if this potential player has the ability to make the kind of difference that puts the Wiz in a position to go after the NBA Championship next year, then whether or not this player is actually worth $15.688M (2 x 7.844 or the total Wiz payout for this player due to the lux tax) is irrelevant."

Even if they could combine the exceptions (which they can't) there's not one player available on the FA market who could be had for that amount that would make the Wiz into contenders. And there's certainly none available for the MLE (which is the most the Wizards have to spend on a single player). If you think otherwise, please name names (and explain how/why said players would turn the Wiz into contenders).

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 9, 2009 12:50 AM