Arenas's Surprise Barry Farms Appearance

I'm not talking right now, but I am playing. (Washington Post File Photo by Jonathan Newton)

Gilbert Arenas signed the last of about 100 autographs, posed for the last of dozens of photographs, slid on a crisp white T-shirt, slipped into his black Ferrari and snuck off, quietly, into the night. But it was only moments before, when Miles Rawls, commissioner and play-by-play man for the Goodman League, announced -- quite loudly -- before a standing room crowd, "He's back!"

Rawls was merely stating the obvious, because one only needed a few minutes to watch Arenas at Barry Farms Recreational Center on Friday night to see that the three-time all-star is rounding into shape after three knee surgeries robbed him from most of the past two seasons. Arenas had 35 points, mostly on aggressive drives to the basket. He was surprisingly spry and springy, as he effortlessly attacked the rim for dunks. He had two-handed slams. He had a vicious tomahawk slam. He even dunked on someone. When was the last time you recall seeing Arenas dunking?

More impressive, he wasn't wearing a knee brace or favoring his leg in any way. The explosion wasn't all the way there, but it was close. After Arenas blew past two defenders to get to the basket and draw a foul, Rawls said, "Gil came out here tonight and I think we can safely say, the knee is fine. Looks like I'm going to have to renew my seats at the Verizon Center."

Before Arenas attempted his free throws, Rawls, the infamous President Obama trash talker, stopped play to ask Arenas a question. "Hey, Gil. Can you hook me up with Tim Grover? I'm trying to get ready for the old-timers' game. He's got you looking good. Grover's good, huh?"

Arenas smiled and nodded.

I've been hearing all summer that Arenas has lost of ton of weight, that he's the lightest he's been since entering the league. And, this past week, Coach Flip Saunders, LeBron James, Andre Iguodala and Quentin Richardson have all taken the opportunity to talk about how good Arenas has looked on the court and in workouts in Chicago.

Former Wizard Awvee Storey got Arenas involved with the Chicago Pro Am, where I hear Arenas had a couple of 50 point games up there. Saunders said Arenas told him that he was averaging 44 points a game in that league.

I got word that Arenas was going to play at Barry Farms late Friday afternoon, so I had to drop by and see for myself. I got to the playground in Southeast a little bit after the game tipped off, but as I walked toward the court, some fan told me, "Gil out there putting on a show, man."

When I finally found a spot to see Arenas, the first thing I noticed was that Arenas really does look a lot slimmer than the last time I saw him play an NBA game. I hear he's down to just 207 pounds. I asked some guy next to me how Arenas was looking. The guy said, "He's killing it."

He then gave a very animated description of how Arenas crossed up somebody and dunked on him early in the game.

James told me that Arenas was in "the high 90s" of what he once was, and I'd have to agree that Arenas isn't quite his "Hibachi" self. But he appears to be making some progress. His first step isn't quite at his pre-April 2007 levels, but he was able to lower his head and get to the hoop as often as he liked. He only took about two long jump shots, but he had some bounce in those legs. At one point he timed a driving layup and batted it into the front row. He was called for goaltending.

Granted, this is playground hoops, where defense is optional -- Arenas's counterpart, Gerald "P [Bad Word]" Brown, a native of West Baltimore who played last season in Turkey, scored 41 points. And, Arenas was the only NBA player on the floor, so I won't go overboard.

But as I stated earlier, the $111 million man is making progress. You know he has to feel confident in what he's doing to test his knee on some pockmarked blacktop. After the game, Arenas shed his jersey and gave away his shoes. Fans at Barry Farms were definitely appreciative, as they swarmed him each white-socked step he took from the court to car. And for the second week of August, that has to be encouraging for fans of the Wizards.

By Michael Lee |  August 14, 2009; 11:54 PM ET
Previous: LeBron James on Arenas's Rehab: "He Looks Good" | Next: Heat, Hawks Make Moves

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Awesome post! Thanks Mike. Can't wait for the season to start. Lets hope its just as fun as 2006 was.

Posted by: Roman5 | August 15, 2009 12:30 AM

Aren't I glad I checked my RSS reader once more before I went to sleep.

I'm dying in anticipation for the season to start, and something inside of me is hoping Hibachi gets that first step as quick as it once was.

All in all, I miss his blogging the most of all. It's a damn shame the lousy reaction to his blogging has caused him to give it up.

Posted by: iamse7en | August 15, 2009 1:21 AM

I LOVE Gilbert Arenas! Good for the city, good for the NBA. Stay well!

Posted by: neithernor | August 15, 2009 1:32 AM

Great news! The city loves Arenas, real Washingtonians, like me, born raised here!

Posted by: washwiz | August 15, 2009 1:43 AM

It's nice to see Arenas having the confidence to mix it up at Barry Farms. But I hope he doesn't overdo it this time. His primary focus should be on getting ready for the upcoming season.

Posted by: tundey | August 15, 2009 1:54 AM

gil's dunking...better than words could do justice

Posted by: bford1kb | August 15, 2009 2:46 AM

After watching the debacle that is the
Washington Redskins, it's like a breath of fresh air to hear that Gil is healthy and confident enough in the knee to ball on a black top.

Dunking too?

God knows that by October, this town may well need the Verizon Center to be on and popping. Alive with the buzz of an exciting and competative NBA team...

Good Luck Zards!

Posted by: bozomoeman | August 15, 2009 3:01 AM

2 years ago everyone was ready trade Arenas because the Wiz didnt need him anymore. After last seasons horror and a few off season aquisitions and a new head coach with a rep for winning everywhere he's coached Arenas ia now the man. Now no one thinks the team can without him. He hasn't really played in two seasons and he is as popular now as ever. I think Arenas' publicist needs some money. I also think people get the sense that Arenas isn't really agent zero anymore. That he may turn out to be a real point guard with plenty of talent. Because agent zero could stand for the number of times the wizards have won a game past the second round. I hope agent zero always looks at the zero as how many NBA finals he has won in my career.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 15, 2009 3:44 AM

Check out 3=live videos of Gil at Bary Farms:

dud is actually ballin' again! This is just great...

Posted by: bazteal | August 15, 2009 5:00 AM

Sweet Jesus! We are BACK!

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | August 15, 2009 7:03 AM

My boy was down there and can vouch for everything! He called me after each Arenas dunk proclaiming that we are a top 3 team in the League now! Not just the East, but the League. That's high standards for me but from what a few others have told me, its not out the realm of possibility.

And props to Mike Lee for having the guts to head down to the Hood and get a story! Great work!!

Posted by: CBell29 | August 15, 2009 7:44 AM

Well damn. I was on 295 driving past and I was like I know it's Friday night but it's that packed forreal?! That explains that.

Can't wait for this season. I really can't.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 15, 2009 8:15 AM

I was there last night and from what I saw Gil is mos deff BACK! True, it's summer league hoops, but if you know anything about the game, it plain to see that he has overcome the injuries. He looked very good and I look forward to the season.

Posted by: dus_37 | August 15, 2009 8:38 AM

There is something about a star. Somehow you know it when you see one. Go Gilbert.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 15, 2009 9:12 AM

Mike Lee's done a great job of keeping this blog posted with up to date information. I can tell the guy's a heck of a fan too, going out on a friday night to catch Gil at Barry Farms.

Mike, you've made this a fun place to post again. Lot's of Wizards summer updates and news from around the NBA. If you read these things, you should pass this along to your boss, let him know that you deserve a raise!

News on Gil continues to be good,if that ability to go to the hole is back, the Wiz will tough to shut down. Foye, Miller, Butler, Young, Jamison and the rest are going to get a lot of open looks. McGee, Haywood, Blatche, and O-O-Oberto are going to be getting some easy put backs or dishes at the rim.

This is a better team then Gil has ever been surrounded with before. It's going to be a lot of fun at the Phone Booth. And there's nothing more fun then winning.

Flip's got the proven track record in winning, I'm not one of those guys who predict wins in August. But, looking at this roster and his past rosters, if these guys stay healthy for a change, Flip's not going to have a below average year...

Posted by: flohrtv | August 15, 2009 9:15 AM

Micheal,
Was the second guy to the right of Gil, Sam Cassell? kind of looks like him in the picture

Posted by: flohrtv | August 15, 2009 9:19 AM

Just read the washington times report on Gil at Barry Farms, and he made an interesting note about Gil stopping for any and everybody that wanted a photo or autograph. But earlier that day, Lebron James refused to shake hands or do any autographs with fans during his nike tour stop in DC. What a tool!

Posted by: CBell29 | August 15, 2009 9:45 AM

Micheal,

GM,
The photo you are reffering to was a stock photo taken from a previous appearance at bary farms by Gil. But you are correct, that was Sam Cassell.

Posted by: bazteal | August 15, 2009 9:52 AM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 15, 2009 9:19 AM

LOL! Yeah, that's Sam I Am! Ain't no other person on Earth "kinda looks like him". There's only 1 Sam Cassell

Posted by: CBell29 | August 15, 2009 9:52 AM

Mike Lee,

i luv that u hit up the farms and broke us off with some of the most important news of the summer. this is a super job by wiz pr team how this has been put together. as much as i hate to say it, it seems like the cinderella story is being written.first mcgee with the usa team, the oberto signing, flip and LBJ endorse gil, and then Gil shows up at the farms to show the people instead of talking bout it. classic.

i've always wanted the wiz to win and theis news about gil is great. i don't care if he was dunkin on gramas on an eight foot rim, the fact that he attemted to dunk on someone shows the confidence he has in the knee. you expect him to score cuz he's a pro, and you expect him to dominate because he was an all star, but it's the aggressive attitude that has me excited. Angry Gil is 40 point game potential every night. he's like frank white in king of ny. he's lookin at LBJ,DH,DWade he's like " you guys got fat while i was gone......it's my turn"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 15, 2009 10:04 AM

MVP
MVP
MVP
MVP

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 15, 2009 10:26 AM

im curious to see if he's changed up his free throw routine permanently. it was definitely different in the video

Posted by: crs-one | August 15, 2009 10:44 AM

Great to hear that Gil is better. Glad I kept my tickets

Posted by: bigherb | August 15, 2009 10:45 AM

This is awesome to hear and see. But please people, let's get our expectations adjusted: What we need is NOT 40 points a night. We need 24 points and 13 dimes a night. We need 6 players in double figures a night. What pleases me more than the dunking is the blocked shot that was mentioned. That is what will take this team to the next level.

BTW - I was at the Skins game up here the other night taking abuse from my Ravens friends. All I could say was "just keep an eye on my Wizards" and they think I am nuts. We are completely under the radar right now. I kind of like it that way though. Can't wait for camp to start.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 15, 2009 10:50 AM

Hope he doesn't get hurt playing on the playground before the season...

Posted by: msveasey | August 15, 2009 11:16 AM

I was there front row....and the fact that i saw no limp whatsoever has me feeling great as a Wizards fan....

any true basketball player will tell you that playing on concrete/asphalt is a true test for your knees and he passed with flying colors last night

I love the Gates!!!

I would advise anyone else reading this to join us any day to watch some great basketball

Posted by: Diego1115 | August 15, 2009 11:17 AM

I was just thinking about my thoughts on gilbert above and started playing with numbers for the entire squad. Here is my pre-training camp Wizards 2009 formula for success:

Arenas – 24 point (13 assists)
Jamison –20 points (9 boards)
Butler – 19 points (6 boards)
Haywood – 10 points (9 boards)
Foye – 9 points
Starters total points- 82

Miller – 12 points
Blatche – 12 points (6 boards)
McGee – 5 points (4 boards)
Stevenson – 5 points
McGuire or Oberto – 4 points (4 boards)
Bench total points - 38

Others-Young, Crittendon, McGuire or Oberto, James

Total points - 120

Not sure what the rotation will really be after camp with injuries and all, but that is a dream box score to me. 120 points a game can take you far in this league! With those averages and with at least some defensive improvement, we are in the hunt for sure! This doesn't even assume Blatche, JaVale, DMac or Young have breakout years. All we need is steady improvement from everybody and sharing the ball, and to repeat again...improved DEFENSE.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 15, 2009 11:38 AM

I agree with the poster who said "what we need [from Gil] is NOT 40 points a night. We need 24 points and 13 dimes a night. We need 6 players in double figures a night" [although I'll settle for 5 some nights]. I'm betting Gil has matured and will be doing what it takes to win. I also agree that with Gil charging the rim, there will be lots of put backs from and dishes to our big men. The Wiz are going to make some noise!

Posted by: 7snider7 | August 15, 2009 11:57 AM

Mike Lee's done a great job of keeping this blog posted with up to date information."

Ehh, Mike sucks. ;)

Hopefully EVERYONE will stay healthy this year, not just Gil.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 15, 2009 3:42 PM

That 3 from like 35 feet to tie? Ridiculous.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 14, 2009 2:37 PM

That shot brought the house down moreso than anything I've seen at Verizon or Cap Center...was just SICKNESS.

Gil's knee must be feeling 110% to play down at Barry Farms, and to hear how good he looked...cant effing wait for the season. No doubt Gil is going to storm the league right out of the gates, he's got 6 more months to get all the way right!

Posted by: divi3 | August 15, 2009 4:08 PM

Joe Smith is signing with Atlanta. One year for the vet minimum.

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 15, 2009 4:34 PM

This is good news. WE'RE BACK MORTIMER!!

Posted by: thecomedian2 | August 15, 2009 4:42 PM

It's rare that a play from a sporting event makes me jump out of my seat and scream like a 12 year old school girl while watching on television.

That was one of those moments. (Dont tell anybody though)

In other news...I'm at Tyson's Corner right now and just ran into DeShawn Stevenson.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 15, 2009 6:20 PM

lol...wow, you guys are coming unglued. I am sure it was an exciting night and it's good news indeed. But, man, can't say I'm thrilled he is playing on pockmarked asphalt. I quit playing on asphalt in my mid 20's bc it's so harsh on your knees. Had he had a setback there, look out, there would have been hell to pay.

Are you ready for some basketball???

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 15, 2009 6:23 PM

SDMDTSU,

Watch were your going man! lol

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 15, 2009 6:24 PM

BTW, I don't think Steve Nash averaged 13 assists a game in his prime. I get the point, but be reasonable. I'll take 9.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 15, 2009 6:27 PM

Posted by: rphilli721

Truth.

But I rolled through there frequently (years ago) and never had any issues.
White guy in old work van.

Posted by: VBFan | August 15, 2009 7:44 PM

Gilby dunking on 9 ft. rims again....I think he's dusting off the parachute next.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 15, 2009 8:03 PM

"I think Gilbert is the only guy in DC or anywhere that can roll around Barry Farms in a Ferrari unscathed...lol.

Posted by: rphilli721 "

Stop rippin' off DMX lyrics.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 15, 2009 8:05 PM

Gilbert came up to Georgetown today to play in the Kenner League at McDonough.

Posted by: dominic10464 | August 15, 2009 9:01 PM

SDMDTSU,

Watch were your going man! lol

Mrs. SD was shoe shopping...so I had plenty of time to jump on here on the good iPhone. LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 15, 2009 9:16 PM

I truly like what I'm hereing in regards to him being close to 100%.....but I swear, I don't care too much for him playing on that concrete. I have a problem with that.

Posted by: terpwiz | August 15, 2009 9:22 PM

I have no interest to see the pre injury Arenas.I want a well matured, focused floor general. 13 assist is too much, i will go with an average of 8-9 assist 4 rebounds and 22 points and 2 steals. This team is a very deep team, i need this team lead NBA in bench scoring. They need to be the top scoring team, they were the 3rd scoring teams in one season just with three scorers. The addition of foye and miller should put them at the top.This will not happen if arenas is not willing to pass the ball or the coach is controlling the game.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 15, 2009 9:30 PM

Gilbert Arnenas is an embrassment to his race and is the poster child for ignorant black n#####. Gilbert fits right in at Barry Farms an perfect example whats wrong with blackmen in America. Multiple children out of wedlock, unwilling to make an honest women out his baby mommy and thinks it all about him, couldnt see the larger picture if it smacked him driectly in the face. I see why his momma abandoned him, see knew it was trash.

Posted by: blkisin | August 15, 2009 10:07 PM

I'm sure somewhere out there, Mike Wise is sharting in his pants b/c he didn't get the scoop on his boy Gilby.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 15, 2009 10:20 PM

---------------

and here we have a perfect example of what's wrong with people in America.

Moderator?

Posted by: crs-one | August 16, 2009 1:44 AM

As intelligent adults, please dont respond to that individual. Just pray for him!!!!

Posted by: 1truewizfan | August 16, 2009 2:50 AM

...good to know GA is well on his way back and sounds like he's got that chip on his shoulder "me against the world" attitude back. If this one appearance at Barry Farm is the extend of Gilbertology in 2009, then I can live with it. But I agree with others, I would hate to see it become a regular part of his rehab. Stick to the hardwood Gilbert, you're a superstar, but you're not a young man anymore, you'll be 29. Flip and Sam--perhaps its time for a visit to Great Falls. Maybe while sipping fruit juices pool-side, you can instill the idea of Gilbert beating the record for triple doubles in a single season (41 by Oscar Robinson) rather than just going for the scoring record...in fact I'd like to see Gilbert try to average a triple double like the Big-O for an entire season (30pt/12rbs/11asst).

Posted by: oddjob2 | August 16, 2009 8:54 AM

6 assists a game on a roster that was devoid of spot up shooters isn't bad. Jarvis Hayes used to clank a good two assists a game away all by himself.

Etan(hands of stone) Thomas used to lose another assist or two a game that went striaght through his fingers, off a knee or foot, and out of bounds.

Gil's assists will improve,but who was he to dish all of those assists to before the injury?

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 9:29 AM

Word is that Gilbert was playing at the Kenner League on Saturday, no word on how he performed.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 16, 2009 9:32 AM

Agent 0 = Most Improved and Most Valuable Player awards this year. Wizards make it at least to the conference finals.

I am upgrading my 53 win prediction to 56.

May lebron learn a little humility this season.

Dig it!

Posted by: Blurred | August 16, 2009 10:00 AM

I am not from DC, but I fully understand the implications of Barry Farms for any city in this country.

I can't see how or why anyone should put a negative face on that.

Oh! Oh! I get it, he should have found some affluent neighborhood to go play in with proper families and such.

For crying out loud.

Maybe that post is emblematic of why Gilbert would say this city gave up on him.

True, that posting certainly needs some prayer, some divine wisdom.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 10:44 AM

6 assists a game on a roster that was devoid of spot up shooters isn't bad.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 9:29 AM

I agree. 6 assists is something i can live with. I saw some folks on here are asking him to average 13 or even 9. Well, just looking at stats from last year, CP3 led the league with 11 and Nash avg 9 a game. Those are 2 pass first pg's and Gil is not one of them. The one thing people forget when looking at other players numbers, is the talent that surrounds them. Lebron puts up 30,8,8 because he has to. When KG was in Sota, he was 25,10,7 his whole career. As soon as he came to Boston, his numbers dipped because of the talent around him. Gil has enormous talent around him. Caron puts up 20,6,6. AJ gives you 20 and 10. And when he was putting up 30 a night, he had no backcourt mate to help with the load. Now he has Miller, Foye, and Nick. More realistic numbers from Gil this year would probably look like 24 points, 4 boards (even though i would like to see 6), and 6 (or 7. maybe 8 if he stops passing to DeShawn) assists. But the most IMPORTANT number of all will be his TO ratio. He MUST keep it under 3.

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 10:53 AM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 15, 2009 8:03 PM

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 10:56 AM

And one more thought.

I got the 35 footer tied with the game winner he hit in game 5 in Chicago. Both shots were great and its hard to separate them. I give the Chicago one a very slight edge because it was a game winner. Right behind those two is the walk away 3 against the Bucks. He pulled up from 30 on that 1 too. That's why he had plenty of time to walk away while it was still in the air! Coolest shot ever!!!

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 11:06 AM

Why are the rims at Barry Farms only 9 ft.???

Anybody know?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 11:25 AM

Why are the rims at Barry Farms only 9 ft.???

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 11:25 AM

I don't think their 9. Maybe not regulation. But probably higher than 9

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 11:28 AM

"couldnt see the larger picture if it smacked him driectly in the face."

Posted by: blkisin | August 15, 2009 10:07 PM

Ok, then tell us O great blkisin, what IS the larger picture??? Cause I myself would like to know...

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 11:42 AM

Blkisin. What is up? What it is? Talk tu' me'. Just say somethin'.

You know my father used to say to me, but he dosen't anymore.

He'd say "Son, when you come up with a point of view, but no one understands it but you, you just might not have a point atall."

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 12:31 PM

Micheal has done a great job this summer keeping fresh posts coming on a regular basis. The past two summers this site has degenerated into some pretty crazy stuff when people were just left to go on and on by themsleves.

We've seen very little of that inflamatory crap on here this summer, Micheal deserves some credit for that.

I'd agree with CBell29 and B-Rev. This year's Wiz are going to be a far deeper team then any the we've seen since Gil was here. Gil is going to be surrounded by a lot more firepower.

This year when the Wiz play the Sixers, I can't wait for Eddie to go to Small Ball, you just know he will. Flip can put several combo's of 4 shooters and Gil out there to counter that move.

I'd agree with notion that Gil'd scoring will go down and assists will go up just because of the amount of scoring talent that will surround him now.

Does he have to be a far different player for that to occur? Trusting the talent around him means that he needs to have players surrounding him with offensive talent to trust. The Wiz have put some pretty offensively challenged players on the court with Areneas in the past.

This seems to be the best roster the Wiz have had in years. If Gil's healthy it could do some real damage in the East.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 12:35 PM

If ignorance is bliss then Blkisin must be ecstatic. It's a shame when an adult with third grade education takes personal shots at another. It's not only ignorant it's cowardly because you say things you would never say to the man himself. Racial slurs, attacks on ones married life you sound a little bored why not try some 4th grade reading step your game up.

Posted by: wiz313 | August 16, 2009 12:59 PM

'All it takes is an appearance by Gil in DC and some folks go right off the Meds.'

An acquaintance of mine runs the Celtics website and he was in town last night for a party. Oh lordy the smack I started talking a few beers in!

It's just great to see that Gil's knee is ok (dare I say 100%?). That's been the overarching issue for the franchise, and the more and more it appears Agent Zero is all the way back, the more it's possible to see this team jockeying for the 3 spot given Flip, all the talent, etc, etc.

Plus the Skins oline will suck again, so somethings gotta cheer me up

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 1:00 PM

@GM,

I was unaware that Eddie knew another offense OTHER than Small Ball! LOL. Must I break out the, Michael Ruffin at center and Jarvis Hayes at power foward lineup??

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 1:16 PM

I think one of the reasons Gil has stopped blogging and talking smack at other players, is that he has changed his focus and has directed all his energy towards winning a championship. He appears to have matured greatly during the time he has been out, and I bet he becomes a true team leader this year. He actually showed signs of that at the end of last season when he took Nick under his wing and counseled players that this year would be much different, both on court and in the locker room. Even his teammates were surprised at his new approach.

I think he's the real deal now, from a MENTAL standpoint (no need to comment on his physical ability -- he's an all-star), which in my opinion is what separates the great teams from the good ones. Now if DeShawn can follow suit (nice talent, but needs to get his head together), this team can REALLY make some noise.

My main concern is that we stay healthy. I've gotten so high on this team in the past. It seems that every time we've been really good, the Curse of Les Boulez does us in. Forget praying for the poster above (hopefully he'll get some help sooner or later), let's pray that this team stays healthy. That's where we should put our spiritual energy. ;-)

Posted by: bpybay | August 16, 2009 2:14 PM

If a regular poster will get back on the meds, blkisin will go sit in one of the tortured corners of their mind, and we wouldn't have to read that crap.

CBell29, I know NJ picked up Jarvis's option, but Ruffin's probably still out there for Eddie to sign.

Larry, The rims at city playgrounds are only 9' is a suburban legend that was going around since way back in the 70's.
You know, a bunch of us vertically challenged white boys from the burb's all trying to dunk, and failing.

The only logical conclusion was to say that the rims on the courts downtown were all 9'. But I started going downtown to play with some guys I met at UM in the 70's. The competition was great, but quess what, I could in those days dunk a 9' rim with ease. Those rims in the city I couldn't dunk. Some are even higher then 10' others maybe a few inches low, but I never saw a 9' rim on an adult court.

So it's just a popular suburban legend. Most guys that continue to spread it, wouldn't go within miles of any of the City playgrounds. And the guys they're spreading it to wouldn't either.

It's kind of like the alligators in the sewers story. Who's going down there to prove it wrong?

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 3:01 PM

People on this blog keep yapping about Les BouleS being the "deepest in years." Unfortunately, they're deep in mediocrity.

They are so deep that with two healthy all stars, that this team went into the lottery.

Then the new guys they brought in probably won't supplant the two all stars in the starting lineup.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:51 PM

"Every night they walk on the floor, it's going to be fun to watch. Win or loose.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 14, 2009 5:03 PM "

I think most, except for you, have gotten over the novelty of Gilby being "fun to watch." It's time to win....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:52 PM

"LOL!! Not the chute!?! I would like to see him bring back the Huffy though. Biking through DC was the coolest thing i've ever seen him do (off court).

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 10:56 AM "

Cool.

I heard he drained out his olympic sized pool and turned it into an X-games training facility.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:54 PM

"Why are the rims at Barry Farms only 9 ft.???

Anybody know?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 11:25 AM "

I don't know myself, but the same thing reported by Mike in this thread topic was overhyped 2 years ago by Mike Wise.

Same story...Ferrari at BF, dunking on people, "I'm back.."...same old sh...

Let's hope this season ends up better than that one.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:56 PM

"6 assists a game on a roster that was devoid of spot up shooters isn't bad.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 9:29 AM "

Six assists/game is irrelevant if the team movement comes to a standstill wait and watch every time he has the ball and has to decide whether to jack a 30 ft. shot or drive and get fouled.

I'd be happy with 4 assists if the team is actually passing and moving the ball. More people need to score that don't have "Gilby" on the back of their jersey.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:59 PM

"You know I was surprised when I popped open the page to see that Gilbert had flown from Chicago and came directly to Barry Farms.

I can't see how or why anyone should put a negative face on that.

For crying out loud.

True, that posting certainly needs some prayer, some divine wisdom.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 10:44 AM "

Clearly you are not from this area and haven't followed this blog until recently.

It was about 2 years ago that Gilby started his much ballyhooed comeback that included visits to BF with their 9 ft. rims (including special slobberfest coverage by Mike Wise), biking around town in a shiny Huffy (accoring to CF), and running sprints with his parachute at Howard University until he got booted off the campus by security.

All that was done by his own selfish motivation to chronicle a silly and ill advised workout routine without the consent of the Les BouleS training staff and doctors. As a result, he reinjured his knee and limped off with his tail between his legs.

Nobody needs any more overhype in the preseason. Prove that you are back during a game, and not by jacking up 35 shots while the team movement comes to a grinding halt, no defense, and the team/Gilby has to come up with a miracle shot to make sure GM gets properly titillating experience.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 4:07 PM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 3:51 PM

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 4:08 PM

"I'm not sure, but, Blkisin sure sounds like one of the conjured up posters that visit this site.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 3:01 PM "

Why should you care about what Blksin posts if the moderators on this blog don't care?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 4:10 PM

4 assists? No way.He had 5.8 asssists in the past several years.He used to look for AJ or CB,I also saw him passing to raffin who failed to dunk it.Arenas was taking too much shoots due to difficult defense by the opposite team as a result of lack of flexiblitiy of coaching and lack of talent in the team.Now we have perimeter shooters who can also take it to the basket, every night one will be hot for wiz. my concern is the play off game, we need inside scoring, some posting dishing around the rim and offenssive put backs to be deep in play off. I hope EG will answer by adding an other big man with a trade before midseason trade is over.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 16, 2009 4:27 PM

'Prove that you are back during a game'

he cant do that until the season starts. In the meantime, glowing reports coming out of chicago and now a night at barry where he looks good is something for wiz fans to be optimistic about.

unless of course, they're just haters.

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 5:36 PM

O.K ...so I started this 13 assists for Gilbert discussion and I agree that it may be a little bit unreal. But only a little. Allow me to explain my thinking a bit more:

I am not a numbers guy first of all. Stats can be deceiving. I look at the intangibles usually. That's why I think McGuire is going to surprise folks by getting time this year. I am just not sure yet whose minutes will suffer.

But I think the assist number is pretty important. Who of us cannot fathom Arenas doubling his assists average if he merely

1 - has less of a shoot first mentality for 3/4 of the game seeking to involve others more?

2- has this present roster of players to catch and finish as opposed to Ruffin, Thomas, Jeffries, Jarvis, Kwame, etc.

Remember, he averaged 10 dimes a game in his brief showing last spring, clearly only wanting to be the fascilitator/distributer on the court. So I think that 9-11 rebounds per game is not at all an unrealistic goal. Someone mentioned that Nash has the record averaging 10 per game? Well that, my friends, is a great goal for Gil this year: BREAK THAT RECORD!! The only thing that could hinder it now is mental, not the supporting cast.

I think the idea of double digit rebounds is a much more important goal than triple doubles. We don't need double digit boards from Gil. Others can do that. 24 to 26 points and 9 to 11 assists is realistically what we need.

And obviously he needs to be the closer down the stretch in tight games.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 16, 2009 6:20 PM

I wrote, "I think the idea of double digit rebounds is a much more important goal than triple doubles."

My bad... I obviously meant "double digit assists."

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 16, 2009 6:26 PM

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 16, 2009 6:41 PM

But Gil is that guy that the opposing coach has to account for and have a plan of how to handle him on every possession down the stretch.

He's the guy that will often draw more then one defender when he's got the ball, which will allow a spot up shooter to get a wide open look.

The dirty little secret about the Wiz in the past was a lack of a 4th and 5th scoring option on the floor at crunch time. This year Flip will have waves of shooters to choose from.

Gil elevates this squad from a borderline playoff team to near elite status. What other single player on the roster can do that?

My one brother, who prefers college ball to the NBA, always says that the NBA should just make the score 90 to 90 and just play the 4th quarter. In a sense it's true, I DVR a lot of games on the ticket and then sometimes just watch the game down the stretch.

I always tell my brother that the 4th quarter is where they seperate the wheat from the chaff, or the cream rises to the top. Lots of guys can score in the first three quarters and then disappear in the 4th.

Gil gives the Wiz that swagger to walk on the court with anybody and know that down the stretch they've got the guy to, as Buckhantz says Dagger, to win the game.

I don't predict wins in August, I did say that this team won't walk on the court fearing anybody. And I predicted a lot of fun at the Phone Booth, and I have a whole lot more fun when the Wiz are winning.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 7:01 PM

"The toughest thing to find in basketball is that closer. The top teams always have one(or more), the also rans don't. For the Wiz Gil is that guy, when he's on the floor others can take the final shot.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2009 7:01 PM "

Elite teams don't get squashed in the first round of the playoffs, whether your max money player is playing in the series or not.

Also, "elite" teams don't need closers in the last seconds of the game. They close teams out early in the 3rd quarter.

Learn that.

For someone who's been watching NBA since 4 decades ago, you should know all that.

Spare us the wannabe profound statements.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 7:46 PM

"Let's see how things go in late October before we pronounce GIL "King-of-the-HILL" once again. Seein' is believin'. I'm with the last poster. More dimes, less times.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 16, 2009 6:41 PM "

You mean late April into May.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 7:47 PM

" We talking bout the present. That 19 win team did have two all stars but no center, a bunch of kids, a quitter (deshawn), no real pg and the dumbest coach and a even dumber interim coach. We talking bout depth now because they (supposedly) corrected all those issues this off season.

Posted by: CBell29 | August 16, 2009 4:08 PM "

And how great is this new coach who couldn't get out of the first round with KG in Minn?

Depth in mediocrity is like sh#t in, sh#t out.

BTW, all those reasons you gave above....nobody to thank but EG.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 7:51 PM

Flip has gotten to the Conf Finals in 4 of his last 5 years coaching.

What a terrible coach. No really.

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 7:59 PM

"Flip has gotten to the Conf Finals in 4 of his last 5 years coaching.

What a terrible coach. No really.

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 7:59 PM "

Umm, I was talking about KG/Wolves, not a ready made, veteran, championship caliber, and solid team like the Detroit Pistons which doesn't parallel Les BouleS.

Which goes to show that having a max money player (KG, Gilby, whomever...) on the roster is overrated.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 8:09 PM

Ahhh...I was wondering how long it would take 88 to find a way to make it something negative.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 8:33 PM

Don't be selective. Minnesota didn't SURROUND HIM WITH DEPTH. He carried them, once he got some help (Sprewell, Cassell) they made the Conf. Finals.

Sound familiar?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 8:37 PM

Saunders got Twolves got ConfFinals in '03.

Another reason for all the optimism!

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 8:40 PM

Posted by: ptp23 | August 16, 2009 8:59 PM

Foye and Arenas are going to be more potent than Arenas and Hughes in the back court. Miller will be the first player off the bench for Caron and NY for Foye.
I don't know how deep they will go intot he play-offs but this has the potential to be their best team since the glory days of the 70's. Yikes-Has it been that long? Oh well. Here's wishing good luck on a health season.

Posted by: ptp23 | August 16, 2009 9:02 PM

"Sir, depth has nothing to do with the starting lineup and who couldn't crack it. It's the same. However, Anthony Peeler and Jarvis Hayes aren't the shooters anymore. Michael Ruffin isn't the first big off the bench, there is no Kwame Brown or Dee Brown. The fact that 2 STARTING quality players could be coming off of the bench is the DEFINITION OF DEPTH. We have never had any bench scoring, now we have plenty. Find me a Wizards/Bullets roster 1-10 with as much talent. Not to mention Ernie has filled out the roster with youthful players who have a chance to play while we still have the ability to win. I don't even understand your angle sometimes. NOTHING is ever positive. Not hiring Flip, getting Foye and Miller, Gil NOT talking for once. NOTHING. What's the point?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 8:33 PM "

I'm in a good mood since Tiger Woods choked today after everybody all but gave him the win.

Randy Foye is also a career .372 shooter from the 3 pt. line. If these guys were quality starters, they wouldn't have been traded for Les BouleS garbage.

Based on that, the "cavalry" coming in is not as good as people think, and definitely not good enough to supplant the current starters.

In any regard, I'd take KG/Sprewell/Cassell in that one Timberwovles season over Gilby/Caron/MeTawn the last time they were in the playoffs together.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 9:18 PM

'For the record, Eminem shot .378 last season and his career average is around .401. Let's not make him out to be Reggie Miller or Big Shot Bob.'

For the record, Horry is a career .34% shooter from 3pt.

Horry hit 795 3s in his career, Miller has already dropped 1,173

so i agree, let's not make miller out to be horry. Miller is much better.

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 10:03 PM

Okay. Miller can't shoot, Foye can't either. Flip can't coach and Tiger sucks.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 10:10 PM

Interestingly, Mike Miller's current 3 point career percentage of .401 is higher than Reggie Miller's (.395) and Ray Allen (.398). Who'd thunk it? Got to imagine the sorry teams he's played on that not many of them wide open 3's. He should get a lot more open 3's with this team.

Posted by: ptp23 | August 16, 2009 10:12 PM

"Okay. Miller can't shoot, Foye can't either. Flip can't coach and Tiger sucks.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 10:10 PM "

I didn't go that far, but if you want to....go for it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 10:14 PM

"My point being, Flip is hands down best coach franchise has seen since Gene Shue.

Another reason for all the optimism!

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2009 8:40 PM "

Sad that it's taken so long...

Gar Heard, Leonard Hamilton, Wes Unseld, etc....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 10:16 PM

" I don't even understand your angle sometimes. NOTHING is ever positive. Not hiring Flip, getting Foye and Miller, Gil NOT talking for once. NOTHING. What's the point?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2009 8:33 PM "

I don't know.....after 30+ seasons of franchise misery, embarrassment, and ridicule, it'll take more than a preseason of trading for 2 starters from a lottery team that will be backups at the similar positions of the highly paid incumbents not to mention the hiring of a coach that was fired from a championship caliber team who's philosophy doesn't exactly preach defense.

Nobody should rest easy b/c the entire makeup of the franchise has been put together by a guy with a history of making poor draft picks, making poor free agent acquisitions, and overpaying existing free agents.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 10:24 PM

GM, CBell29 and 88, interesting on the 9' rims. However, I think the 9' Rim will be a future subject. Stay tuned.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 17, 2009 12:06 AM

You know I just bet there is whole slew of NBA franchises that would love to be in the Wizards predicament at the moment.

Now isn't that something.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 17, 2009 12:40 AM

Posted by: rphilli721

Truth.

But I rolled through there frequently (years ago) and never had any issues.
White guy in old work van.

Posted by: VBFan | August 15, 2009 7:44 PM
______

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 12:47 AM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 16, 2009 10:24 PM
______

And, then the GM digs? Are you on drugs? GA was a terrible signing I know. His draft picks have been at a B+ level at least. We used to make *lottery* picks that could stay in the league. Now we get second rounders that start and late first rounders that are diamonds in the rough. Your just absurd!

If you have such a sense of history, you should have a greater appreciation of what's going on now. But, alas, you just like being absurd.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 7:59 AM

I have been saying all along that if Gil is healthy, this team could win the Southeast Division and possibly the Conference. Now that Gil appears healthy, everybody is coming aboard the Wiz wagon. The wizard fans are surfacing and the haters will continue to hate

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 17, 2009 8:32 AM

The crazy thing is that nobody would lay a finger on Gil in Barry Farms, even in the Ferrari. It's all about respect.

Don't tell 88 that. That's not what he wants to hear. Facts don't matter. Not to mention Miller is on of the best rebounders for his position AND shoots a high percentage, not just on 3's. The boy can shoot.

I was going to say the SAME thing. Pecherov, I understand the pick. Playoff team, don't need a rookie. Draft a international guy, stick him overseas for a year and hope it pays off. It didn't. No GM ever gets it right 100% of the time. Dumars? (Darko? Rodney White?) IT HAPPENS.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 8:33 AM

On draft day, they gamble on Rubio, who now seems set on staying another year in Spain, and on Jonny Flynn, a very talented player who's the same size as Ty Lawson and Patty Mills. Flynn is a better scorer than the other two but maybe not such a great quarterback for your basketball team.

Flynn might do OK on a team with Jefferson to score inside and Kevin Love to provide plenty of outlet passes, but is he an upgrade over what they had last season? Hard to see that.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 9:45 AM

But I rolled through there frequently (years ago) and never had any issues.
White guy in old work van.

Posted by: VBFan | August 15, 2009 7:44 PM
nobody bothered u cuz they thought you were undercovers

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 17, 2009 9:46 AM

Rubio will never play for Minnesota, cause by next season Flynn will have established himself as good enough to not warrant supplanting for an unknown. They say Flynn will move to 2, but that's just retarded.

They bungled the whole situation, and will be left hoping that some team is still enamored of Rubio in a huge way a year from now- even though his stock was already as high as it was going to get.

Perfectly reasonable to think Foye will turn out to be a better player than either Flynn or Menudo, meanwhile Miller is a former 6th man winner and one of the best distance shooters in the league.

Nice moves Ernie!

Posted by: divi3 | August 17, 2009 9:53 AM

The magnitude of what has come together for the Wizards is easily comparable as I see it.

Those of you that are not in the same boat or close to it will be in for a huge surprise.

CAN'T SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREES.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 17, 2009 10:12 AM

But I rolled through there frequently (years ago) and never had any issues.
White guy in old work van.

Posted by: VBFan | August 15, 2009 7:44 PM
nobody bothered u cuz they thought you were undercovers

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 17, 2009 9:46 AM

Was I?????

Posted by: VBFan | August 17, 2009 10:16 AM

diva3, I'd actually put Dick Motta up there with or even above Shue. But yes it's been a long time since the Bullets/Wizards have had a coach with Suanders record.

Don't get the "Flip's not a defensive coach" line. He sure didn't hurt Detroit's defense and while at Minn. he pioneered some of the NBA's more effective zone defenses. His "flex zone" had many league watchers talking at the time he came up with it. Everybody in the NBA runs some version of it at least part of the time now.

Miller and Foye are two big additions, period. My bet is Foye will be guy that goes to his first Allstar game playing beside Arenas.

But keep blasting away 88, between now and Nov. you can bring up the past all you want. And probably about 1 out of three games you can rag on the Wiz all you want.

I'm glad that Tiger loosing put you in a good mood. I was wondering what the source of all of your happiness was yesterday...

Posted by: flohrtv | August 17, 2009 10:25 AM

Just got back from Chaska, Minnesota and the only question I have is....

After Rawls, (the infamous President Obama trash talker), stopped play while Arenas attempted his free throws, (to ask Arenas a question)....did Arenas miss them like he did against the Cavs?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 17, 2009 10:37 AM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 17, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote "The emotional ride of putting a good Team together can carry you through an entire season i.e. the Boston Celtics."

Agreed. But add that the Wizards have been on an emotional ride the last 2 years.

Caron played over his head the year Washington beat the Celtics 3 of 4, without Arenas. Emotionally, he didnt have it in him to play over his head again, last year. You could see it in his game. Now, he can go back to his role of Robin, and Washington has two "Robins", the other being Jamison. Batman is back, finally.

Also, last year, wasn't nobody playing for anything except Jamison. Emotionally, they knew they had no realistic chance at making the playoffs, without both Arenas and Haywood, no matter how they played. That had a bad impact on Blatche and Nick, 2 players whose biggest room for improvement involves consistency. This year, emotionally, with a supercharged team, and a supercharged atmosphere in DC and the "phonebooth", will spur these pups to be more consistent because the team is playing for something meaningful with goals that are reachable, not out of reach.

Sit back and ride the wave!

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 17, 2009 11:11 AM

I have to agree with GM. Aside from Gilbert's health, Randy Foye will be crucial to the team's success this season. I believe he's one on the underrated young guards in the league. We all know what CB, AJ and the rest can bring but if RF shows some all-star skill then this team can at least get to the 2nd round.

Posted by: Dave381 | August 17, 2009 11:17 AM

"About Miller: after being the good soldier for Memphis all those years, he gets traded to Minnesota and in short order is agitating to get out... it's not like he can't stand the losing, so what was going on with the guy? Enough to make you wonder about that franchise, if you weren't already."

Most people stopped wondering about Minnesota ages ago. They're a terribly run organization and pretty much always have been. Booting McHale out of the front office was the best personnel move they've made since drafting Garnett.

And I don't really recall Miller actively or publicly agitating to get out of Minnesota (although I have no doubt he threw a party the day he was traded). A lot of people inferred that as a motive behind the change in hi play when he was with the Wolves, but I don't really see it. I think there are other/better bball reasons why he did more passing than shooting last season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 11:20 AM

Foye is another player who is finally playing on a team with reachable playoff goals and has the potential to be another Robin to Gil's Batman. How many teams have a Batman and 3 Robins?

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 17, 2009 11:21 AM

we only have 4 robins

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 17, 2009 11:32 AM

"And I don't really recall Miller actively or publicly agitating to get out of Minnesota (although I have no doubt he threw a party the day he was traded)."

Didn't mean to imply he was manipulating his way out -- just that he made it clear to McHale that he wasn't going to be part of the Wolves' future. Various articles in January and afterwards had him going to the Nets, Los Angeles, and at least one other franchise I can't remember. Rumors were enough that McHale had to deny possible trades on a couple different occasions.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 11:36 AM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 8:33 AM
_______

Yeah, he bears ignoring more than anything, but sometimes enough is enough. No GM gets everything right. People in here who bag on EG are just nothing more than complete fools. I think it's right to say that Saunders is the best coach we've had since Motta or Shue, but I also think it's right to say that EG is the best GM we've had since the 70's (whomever it was then). Pech, ok. Late first rounder - miss. And, he may turn into a serviceable player still. Etan's contract - bad, but after his best season and was projecting to be the starting center. Not sure how much Abe was behind that either. Probably my two biggest beefs. Size of Arenas contract is risky even still, but you got to take a chance on something to win in this league especially for a team like the Wiz who have to battle aforementioned history when it comes to attracting top notch players. Got to show you will take care of your players etc... like the big-mouth in Dallas. Or, you have to have the rich championship history like the Celtics and Lakers.

I think EG's mistake to good move ratio is about 6 to 1 or better and there are only 15 available roster spots with 12 that matter so do the math...lol.

Finally, you bring up Dumars, I think he has gone off the deep end. I don't think he's made a good move since trading Chauncy Billups. Plus, he passed on Wade and Carmelo for who? Darko!!! I think he is getting the benefit of the doubt and so is the team in general, but I don't see that team being in contention for anything other than the final playoff spot.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 11:41 AM

Most nba champs have a franchise guy plus and a franchise1A guy these days. Pau is close to but not quite a franchise player, for instance.

Tony Parker, again more a 1A guy than a Robin.

KG and Pierce (not to mention Ray Allen).

Interestingly Flip's successful teams in detroit were not in that mold, more a team of very good players but no Mr.Franchise (though Mr.Bigshot comes close sometimes).

Gil is definitely a franchise player. AJ and CB arent 1As. But they are damn good players who when paired with Gil would regularly win 45 games or so despite playing no defense whatsoever.

Add serious talent to that mix like we have, plus a winning coach who specializes in hiding defensive deficiencies through innovative zones while maxing out offensive talent...sky is the limit over next few season, given health and development of just a couple youngns (out of the many we have).

At this point Blatche and Nick Young could end up failures, and the team could still be just fine. That is a far superior position then I expected to be in at end of last season

Posted by: divi3 | August 17, 2009 11:46 AM

Agreed. I just don't see Detroit as very good anymore. Who is the lead player? The are a collection of role players. Hamilton, Prince, Gordon are #3's on some teams and #2 at very best. Charlie V.? He can't even grow hair, so I'm not worried about that guy.

That was mean. I laughed though. Sorry...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 11:47 AM

all you posters are clueless about the wiz.

they will be one and done in the playoffs...they have no clue how to play defense, rotate, and rebound.

guess what happens in the playoffs, game gets slower...defense is stepped up. half court ball takes over.

gilbert is that kid on the playground that hovers around half court who doesn't play defense waiting for the ball to be throw to him so he can score.

this team has 3534394342 guards and wing players....why?

This team is hopeless. Everyone's hope is on a 3 time surgery gimp who doesn't know how to play team ball and has salary jacked this team for 6 more years.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | August 17, 2009 11:53 AM

I think all of the dumping on Detroit is a bit premature. Certainly they're not upper echelon this season, but people seem to be operating under the impression that Dumars is done dealing. I'm pretty sure he's not. He's still got two valuable trade pieces in Hamilton and Prince, both of whom may well be expendable by season's end (given how he's loaded up on the perimeter with young talent) and another expiring contract in Kwame Brown. The Gordon and Villenueva signings weren't the end of the rebuilding effort for the Pistons. it was really just step one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 12:00 PM

That was mean. I laughed though. Sorry...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 11:47 AM
_____

Yep, forgot Gordon's contract number, but I remember thinking "are you kidding me." He's a sixth man making solid starter money. A 6 foot shooting guard who does little else other than get really hot on occasion.

Dumars is taking the no stars concept to a whole new level bc this bunch of "a bunch of really good players" is not that good at all.

Hell, it's not outrageous to think I might rather have AB on my team than CV. He's basically the same type of player, but older. Disappears in games about as often as well still.

Plus, they made the group concept work bc of leadership from CB and great team defense. Those two components are gone now. They are not good enough to be just a good defensive team!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 12:04 PM

You may be right...I just don't see who they are going to get. If it's a post player (Boozer, Bosh, Amare) I still don't see them as too much of a threat. Who plays PG? Maybe Dumars is way ahead, I'm not sure.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 12:09 PM

I have no idea who he will or won't get, and I'm not in the habit of making specific trade predictions. I'm simply saying that judging this current Pistons team like it's a finished product is jumping the gun. Dumars himself has said that he doesn't expect this current line up to be title contenders and that there's more work to be done.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 12:16 PM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 12:16 PM
____

He may not be done, but this team is not a threat whatsoever this year. Signing Gordon and CV just ate up a lot of cap space for not much of anything. Trading Chauncy Billups last year might have been a worse mistake than drafting Darko. Don't remember EG ever completely whiffing on a lottery pick either.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Forgot he picked up Kwame Brown...another whiff!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 12:37 PM

Funny how high school players were all the rage, then starting disappointing all over the map so GMs started turning to the internatioal fix to find the next Dirk or Yao. (Hi Pech).

Give me players with an ncaa track record anyday, who are willing to come in and workout for your team against other talent, not just post-up chairs in an empty gym Yi Jianlin style

Posted by: divi3 | August 17, 2009 1:05 PM

I can't wait to see what Mike Miller looks like as the 6th man off the bench for a playoff-bound team. He'll have the benefit of several Allstars skewing defenses to give him space.

Foye is poised to take his game up another step and while sharing a lot of court time with the big three will help him as long as he doesn't get caught up in trying to do too much.

Thanks Ernie. Nice work.

Posted by: jon_quest | August 17, 2009 1:11 PM

Agreed.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 1:22 PM

"He may not be done, but this team is not a threat whatsoever this year."

Who said they were? You're rushing to refute the idea that the Pistons are contenders, but I don't recall anyone actually saying they were contenders in their current form. So saying they're not really isn't a very bold observation.

Again, it's year one of a rebuilding program. Trashing them now is like staring into a half-filled foundation at a construction site and complaining that the building is poorly designed with ugly architecture.

"Dumars and Detroit were brought up under the context of EG's performance as Dumars is considered an elite GM. Dumars' performance is much iffier by far recently."

However "iffy" he may have been recently (and I've previously stated he's made some bad calls) he still has a championship on his resume. Grunfeld doesn't. Advantage: Dumars.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 2:40 PM

"It's not necessarily to speculate WHO he can bring...but what do they need? PG, C, and a post presence are all weaknesses. Can Prince, Hamilton and Kwame's expiring contract bring all of that? I think they're tallest player is what 6'9'' or something?"

Well, I don't think their need for a PG is all that desperate. Stuckey may be more of a combo guard, but so was Billups at the same stage of his career. And their backup, Will Bynum, is pretty solid. Assuming their young guys develop as expected (always a gamble) their only major need is an inside offensive presence. Could their available assets get that in the right deal? Don't see why not. Will they? Remains to be seen. Which goes back to the idea that they're still a work in progress and it's way too soon to be closing the book on them.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 17, 2009 2:45 PM

"To harp on the last 30 years of a franchise who in the last 5 have been the best they've ever been in my lifetime is stupid. Let alone to not see improvement or ANYTHING positive ever.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 17, 2009 8:33 AM "

Sorry to read that last season for Les BouleS has been part of your best ever in your lifetime. Sad.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 3:50 PM

"Did any one else ever notice when 88'er gets on a roll, all the other negative posters disappear? You'd think they'd all be jumping on his band wagon. But when he gets hyped and responding to every post, where are all the other negative guys?

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 17, 2009 10:25 AM "

Keep enjoying the Les BouleS games, win or lose. That's what has been paying Abe's bills for the past 30+ years.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 3:53 PM

"The dynamics in the makeover of this Team has been tremendous and I guess it has been hard for all the haters to realize the transformation that has occurred right before them.

CAN'T SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREES.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 17, 2009 10:12 AM "

Until Les BouleS start notching some wins in the playoffs/playoff series, you're just plain delusional.

"dynamics"

"tremendous"

ridiculous.....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 3:56 PM

"Where to begin? First, why do you even post in here? Your the biggest curmudgeon I've ever seen. Then, assuming they don't start, which is a stretch bc I'm pretty sure one will, so what? They are high quality NBA players on our bench. One a former 6th man of the year. Terrible player he must be.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 7:59 AM "

What kind of crack are you smoking?

Gilby is a great FA acquisition, if you're Gilby, thus far.

One contract for $65 mil, another for max money. How much closer are Les BouleS to a ring?

The trade for Eminem and Foye....all the players that left were the players that EG either drafted or acquired via FA (ET resigned by EG with a ridiculous contract, OPech drafted by EG, and DSong drafted by EG).

Wean yourself off the crack before you post your garbage here.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 4:10 PM

"Btw, that was my point about the white van in SE. I think it is kind of cool that he gets that respect there bc he shows he is willing to hang out and play ball. The "doesn't forget where he came from" axiom.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 11:41 AM "

Why do you keep harping about this irrelevant point of yours where you try to associate not getting carjacked to having respect from the hood, in your warped logic?

What kind of value do you place on people who could possibly rob you because you have a valuable possession such as Ferrari, if you weren't Gilby?

If an old white guy who owns a hardware store and has a bad back ventures down to Barry Farms to watch some ball and gets his teeth kicked in and his wallet taken, does that mean this old white dude doesn't deserve respect?

No, it means that the morons who kicked his teeth in are criminals and don't deserve any respect. Only bars.

To humor you, Gilby showed up at BF to a packed house. I'm sure there was plenty of security there.

If Gilby drove around soufeast all by himself one night and drove into the wrong street, for sure, he'd be light both his Ferrari and his black card.

Look at Marion Barry, Mayor for Life, who also has mad love from the streets. His behind still got robbed.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 8:08 PM

DSong of course, was acquired via FA.

When he came in, MeTawn said that DSong was a tough and wily vet and would make him a better defender.

I guess that didn't work out.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 8:15 PM

Wean yourself off the crack before you post your garbage here.
_______

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM

"At least you caught your DSong drafting comment. Otherwise, you point to a couple of mistakes EG made and ignore all the smart moves he made including one of the most lopsided trades of all time Kwame for Caron. Your supposed keen sense of the franchises history should tell you that we used to be on the other side of those deals on a regular basis. Mitch Richmond for Webber, etc.... Your the joke! Your the eternal pessimist! Your the sour puss! Your not a fan whatsoever! Go crawl back to your cave.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM "

It doesn't matter whether you think I'm a pessimist.

What matters is that since either EG or Gilby has been with Les BouleS, the team hasn't been any closer to raising any banners at the phone booth.

Keep beating the drum about the Kwame for Caron trade. Caron is a nice player, but this nice player also helped guide Les BouleS to the lottery last season.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM

"One last thing dingbat, before I go back to ignoring you. There are plenty of all-stars in the NBA or any sport for that matter that have huge contracts that have never won a championship. It's the nature of sports these days and we are much closer to a championship caliber team now than at any other time since I've been a fan.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM "

The next irrelevant thing you're going to enlighten us on is that these players also have love from the streets and their whips don't get stolen either.

Big F'n Deal...crackhead.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 18, 2009 2:32 AM

"You're a complete and utter moron. The only person harping on the Ferrari comment is you, but, anyway, hope you get the counseling you so desperately need. It's obvious you get no respect in here bc nobody backs your vitriol and absurdity in these threads. And, I'll go back to completely ignoring you as well bc just conversing with you is more validation than you deserve.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 18, 2009 2:32 AM "

re:

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 15, 2009 6:23 PM "

"A white work van is a little less flashy than a Ferrari. That would attract the kind of attention most would not want in that area...lol.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 12:47 AM "

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 17, 2009 11:41 AM "

STFU ABOUT THE FERRARI ALREADY, FOOL!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 18, 2009 5:09 PM

"Why are the rims at Barry Farms only 9 ft.???

Anybody know?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 16, 2009 11:25 AM "

That's because they want to turn Barry Farms and the Goodman league into another And 1 tourney.

If the rims were 10 ft., that means less overhype, less dunking, and more layups.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 18, 2009 5:12 PM

i definitely missed his appearance at the farms because i was in california with my lady. when i was in LA last friday, i bumped into to nick young at the footlocker at the beverly center. i talked to him for a bit and he was telling me that he has been working on his game. i gave him kudos for his stellar summer league play and encouraged nick to step it up this season especially with his scoring. he's a pretty cool dude to talk to. ironically i asked him about how gil's offseason progression, and he told me that he was getting back into his old self in the chicago pro am leagues.

it was a great experience for me to meet nick young. let's go wizards!

Posted by: dcanlas | August 19, 2009 11:49 AM

"it was a great experience for me to meet nick young. let's go wizards!

Posted by: dcanlas | August 19, 2009 11:49 AM "

I would accuse you of being star struck if only Nick Young was a star..

;)