Crittenton Update

It was a little throwaway line in an NBA.com feature story about Philadelphia 76ers guard Louis Williams, but it raised a few eyebrows in these parts. I just wanted to inform anyone who was concerned that Javaris Crittenton merely sprained his ankle while playing basketball recently in the Atlanta pro am and is doing fine.

Near end of my former Atlanta Journal-Constitution colleague Matt Winkeljohn's story about Williams replacing Andre Miller as starting point guard in Philadelphia, he mentioned that Williams scored 53 points "[i]n the Atlanta pro-am championship game, with backcourt mate Javaris Crittenton of the Wizards injured and 76ers teammate [Thaddeus] Young already back in Philadelphia after taking seven stitches in his face from an earlier game."

I asked about Crittenton and heard that he twisted his ankle in a game, but was in Washington earlier this week, working out, and looked okay. So, everybody can relax. It's nothing serious.

Although the article was about Williams, I found it interesting that players like Young and Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo are participating in the Atlanta pro am, which means that Crittenton has probably got in some pretty good runs down there. If you recall, Crittenton had one of his best games with the Wizards last season in Philadelphia, when he scored 15 points with 7 assists in a 104-94 loss. He had a really good duel with Williams on that night.

By Michael Lee |  August 19, 2009; 5:27 PM ET
Previous: Getting to Know Foye | Next: 30 Years After Bullets, Wizards Are Going Back to China

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Given Saunders' history and emphasis on PG play, I really think Crittenton could play a big role for the Wiz this season. He showed signs last season of having the kind of court sense that you can't really teach PGs, and the quickness to get into the middle off the dribble whenever he wanted (despite the fact that his lack of a jumpshot meant teams would play him to take away the drive). If he develops a reliable jumper, he could be a very effective player running the second unit offense (esp. playing alongside Miller).

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 5:45 PM

I don't see JCritt getting much PT with Gilby racking up 40 min/game, Mike James getting almost $7 mil until/if he gets traded, and Foye there too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 5:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response Mike!

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 6:22 PM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 5:55 PM

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 6:25 PM

Thanks for the update Mike!

Larry can rest a little easier in Clinton tonight.

And Kal, Welcome to the Crittiton bandwagon, there's a real role for him here. He's got the size,quickness, and handle, to make a very good running mate for Gil or Foye in the backcourt. If Young comes on strong Miller might have to get most of his minutes at the three.

Right now I'd have to say Stephenson is the second guy on that list.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 19, 2009 6:47 PM

"I don't see Mike James taking away minutes from Critter. The value in paying James $7mil wasn't what he will bring to the court this year...it was that he brought Critter with him in the trade. From a business aspect, it's likely that he's disposable now, and they won't play him just because he's paid a lot of money.

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 6:25 PM "

Foye would still be a more viable option in place of James over JCritt at the 1.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 8:27 PM

"88',just can't see James getting out of a three pc. suit, let alone finding the court to play. When looking at the 14 man roster, if everybody's healthy, who else is going to be the first man not to dress?
Right now I'd have to say Stephenson is the second guy on that list.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 19, 2009 6:47 PM "

Only time will tell.

Even still, look at it this way.

SF: Caron start, Eminem (backup) and then DMac

SG: Eminem and Nick Young & DS (backup)

PG: Gilby (big minutes), Foye (backup), JCritt & Mike James (3rd string)

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 8:33 PM

WHEW! HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF, I am so happy Crittenton's ankle injury is not serious, that would have destroyed our season!

Without Critt we would have lost 64 games instead of 63 games last season.

Posted by: twigmuffin | August 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 8:27 PM

---------------

It's definitely possible, so I could see that happening. I just think it's unlikely. I do admit to being a little more optimistic; since we've never seen flip coach here with this team, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and watch some games before I start criticizing something that hasn't even happened yet.

but feel free to quote me on this, if he consistently plays mike james over critter, i will be on board with you.

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 9:27 PM

"Googleling trying to find out if JCritt is really hurt and there is a still a rumor out there that Stephon Marbury is still being considered by the Wizards."

Try Goggling the word "rumor."

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Sorry for bringing this forward from the previous thread, but as soon as I read this, I was laughing out loud. It is not often I can get a good laugh from a Kalo retort. Good one Kalo and I'm still smiling.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 9:30 PM

Twigmuffin, Sorry you are not as interested in the health of JCrit.

I am.

For my bet is, that it will not be so much of a coaching style on whether JCrit starts to become an impact for the Team, but rather on the abilities of JCrit to not to be kept on the bench.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 9:36 PM

And thanks Mike, you're good. I said it before and don't mind saying it again.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 9:38 PM

The Mike James mention in comments keep reminding me of the plethora of guards we have. And James is...not the best.

Yeah, JJ kinda sux. But he's 6'11" sux. If one of our bigs tweaks a knee or whatever, we'll really be thin up front. JJ would be a "break glass in case of emergency" big that can play 2-4. Has no ego insofar as needing the ball is concerned. Won't take shots from the people on our team who actually can make them.

Downside: James will be an expiring, but JJ has an extra year. The Knicks would jump at MJ's expiring contract. Would we be willing to keep JJ around and extra year to ensure that we have a big this this year while we have a really unbalanced roster?

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | August 19, 2009 10:39 PM

SF: Caron start, Eminem (backup) and then DMac

SG: Eminem and Nick Young & DS (backup)

PG: Gilby (big minutes), Foye (backup), JCritt & Mike James (3rd string)
Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 8:33 PM

Posted by: IrenePollin | August 19, 2009 10:46 PM

--------------------
This seems fair enough, but I don't think the Wizards can really afford Jeffries' extra year. I think the Knicks would do it in a second, because I just read that Jeffries contract is basically the one thing that would prevent them from being able to offer 2 max deals next offseason. Personally, I'd love to see the Knicks' sensible planning blow up in their face and they end up giving Nate Robinson the max. So I vote no.

Posted by: IrenePollin | August 19, 2009 10:53 PM

I think that between Critt, Young, Stevenson and James there will be a lot of suit-wearing and bench time. I think only 1 of them will crack into Flip's top 8. I would guess that James is already slotted at 14. It think (and hope) that camp will be open season for the starting 2 guard spot. Who will emerge is one of the biggest questions and will say much about how Flip views the skill set of the others who start. If I were a betting man I would put my money on Foye starting at the 2 with MM first off the bench. Unless they just wow the coaches at camp Young, Critt, Stevenson, James will be the odd men out. MM will definitely be in the top 8. So I think Blatche either Mcgee or Fabrico will also. I think 1 of those guards will be in that 9-10 slot in Flips rotation unless he decides to put DMac there for defensive purposes. If Foye can handle backup point guard I think Critt will drop out of the top 10 along with James, Stevenson and McGee or Fabrico.

Apart from Gils health and the development of a defensive mindset, the rotation is the biggest question I have about camp.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 19, 2009 11:08 PM

"It sounds like DMac might get minutes at PF, and I;m sure Foye will play both guard spots, but even still, I don't see Mike James playing at all unless someone gets hurt, or he somehow pulls some consistent good play out of his ___. But let's not discount the possibility of injuries. Gilbert, Foye, Stevenson, and Caron all missed a bunch of games last year, and they're probably (hopefully) going to be cautious with Gilbert's knee, rest him on back-to-backs, etc. There are definitely some players who won't get as many minutes as they like, and that could be a problem, but I think players will get their chances to work their way into the rotation.

Posted by: IrenePollin | August 19, 2009 10:46 PM "

PF: MeTawn (starter), AB (backup), JaTravel (2nd backup)

C: BTH (starter), Oberto (backup), JaTravel (2nd backup)

DMac: Odd Man Out

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 11:10 PM

Hate to even ask, but I missed it. 88'er, who is Eminem?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 11:11 PM

Hate to even ask, but I missed it. 88'er, who is Eminem?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 11:11 PM

Eminem would be Mike Miller...

Posted by: bozomoeman | August 19, 2009 11:20 PM

Thinking about what I just posted a bit more, it is rare that so many players on a team (Young, Stevenson, Foye, DMac) go into camp hoping realistically on the one hand that they can emerge as a starter on a quality team but also knowing on the other hand that they might end up buried on the bench by the first game. This says a lot about the depth we have.

I think that 5 of the top 8 are already inked in: Gil, Jamison, Butler, Haywood, Miller. Then 2 others are penciled in: Foye, Blatche. Then the 7-10 slots are up for grabs. Everybody else from 10-14 will need to be ready for lots of garbage time and injury replacement time.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 19, 2009 11:23 PM

how about mike James for Jared Jefferies they both make the same amount of money and Jared is 6'11 can playmutiple 3&4 positions and defend

Posted by: jdubose1 | August 19, 2009 11:32 PM

"Eminem would be Mike Miller...

Posted by: bozomoeman | August 19, 2009 11:20 PM "

LMAO!

The peeps here are catching on!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 11:33 PM

Right now I'd have to say Stephenson is the second guy on that list.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 19, 2009 6:47 PM "

Only time will tell.

Even still, look at it this way.

SF: Caron start, Eminem (backup) and then DMac

SG: Eminem and Nick Young & DS (backup)

PG: Gilby (big minutes), Foye (backup), JCritt & Mike James (3rd string)

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 8:33 PM

WOW - It is nice to see a legit exchange of views between GM and 88 without any negativity or name calling. Things are looking up on this board as well as for the Wiz!

Posted by: pk24 | August 19, 2009 11:36 PM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2009 11:42 PM

"And Kal, Welcome to the Crittiton bandwagon, there's a real role for him here. "

Bandwagons are for people who can't find their own way. I've been talking up Crittenton since last season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 12:37 AM

"If I were EG, I'd trade James for (don't throw stones at me immediately) -- Jared Jeffries. Both get paid the same amount, so salaries match."

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 12:40 AM

"Would we be willing to keep JJ around and extra year to ensure that we have a big this this year while we have a really unbalanced roster?"

Oh, and by no definition is Jeffries a"big." A "tall," yes. A "big"? No.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 12:42 AM

"I see Flip Flop valuing a solid veteran as a backup over an untested 2nd year guy."

Crittenton is going into his 3rd year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 12:44 AM

Foye is really more of a shooting guard than a combo. I think Flip will start him at the 2, and use Critter to spell Gil.

I think Critter could play a useful role this year. He's a weak (though improving) jump shooter, but he's great at getting to the rim and at distributing, and he plays very aggressive defense. We need that.

Stevenson is the one who's going to struggle to get minutes at the 2, with NY coming on as a scorer. I don't think Mike James is in the rotation at all. I'm wondering if they can get him to take a buyout.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | August 20, 2009 1:54 AM

If he (Critt) develops a reliable jumper, he could be a very effective player running the second unit offense (esp. playing alongside Miller).

True...assuming Miller doesnt start. I'm thinking Miller at sg would provide better spacing and rebounding from the 2 and would be a better option than either DS, CB or NY.
I'm fairly certain CB will shift back to his natural position at the 3 since he was an all star there.

Personally, I'd start MM and play him at the 2 on offense and 3 on defense with CB vice versa. That combo would be hard to stop and would be pretty damn good on the glass.

In any case, it's good to have options.

Posted by: original_mark | August 20, 2009 8:04 AM

I agree about Critt's aggressive defense, not to mention 6'5'' can cause havoc defensively. I think the NY/DS battle is gonna be one to watch. Nick is the natural scorer that struggles to grasp EVERYTHING else. DeShawn was a consumate role player playing defense and knocking down open 3's from defensive focus on other players. If DS comes back healthy in 07 form....Nick may not be the first guard off the bench.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 20, 2009 8:13 AM

GM,

Fabricio has a great chance of of being the other suit. If Blatche and McGee perform as expected, Fabricio might be taking a look initially.

Stevenson I do agree is a prime candidate as well.

You know GM, I am a diehard Redskin Fan as well, but here it is weeks away from there first game, but it feels like the Wizards are getting ready to play.

The anticipation and intrigue for this years Team is through the roof.

Go Wizards!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 20, 2009 8:16 AM

88' I'd think if Ernie could get Nick Collison for Mike James that would be the type of deal he might have some interest in. But right now OK City seems to be projecting Collison in the mix at center.

OK City doesn't seem to be in the mode of doing a contract dump to get in next summer's FA derby, so I'm not sure there's an upside to the deal for them.

James's deal, plus the trade exception that the Wiz have add up to between 8-9m. I think if Ernie strikes again it will be in the form of packaging James, the trade exception, and possibly either Young, or Blatche, in a deal.

I think he's going to camp with this roster and any deal may occur closer to the deadline if it happens. That's when team's out of the hunt will get desperate to free up money for next year.

If you pay any attention to the NY writers, they've been pushing the idea of Jeffries/James for months.

I just don't see the upside of Jeffries for the Wiz, James's expiring deal and the trade exception could bring more then that if Ernie waits. I think he waits.

Kal, I quess I just missed all of those posts where you were praising Critt. I do think he ends up being the primary backup point. The guy is probably the best on the ball defender the Wiz have. Defensively he'll give Flip an option to turn up the pressure at point and get out and run.

I really believe Foye spends a majority of his time at the two this year. But that's what they have camp to decide.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 20, 2009 9:01 AM

I asked this long time ago, but got no response. When do unsigned FA's like Juan Dixon officially drop off the roster.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 20, 2009 9:04 AM

Kal, I quess I just missed all of those posts where you were praising Critt.

GM, that would not have been hard to do. Kalo's style is so straight laced that it hard at times to catch what he is really saying.

Kal actually agrees more than he thinks, but he gets hung up all the bits and pieces. I remember telling him a long time ago that he actually was saying the same as another fellow even though he was choking the guy, if you know what I mean.

I commented several times that he must drink his coffee black, but he won't even respond to the comment. But, it is all good.

I pride myself on having the wisdom to understand things and people.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 20, 2009 9:17 AM

I pride myself on having the wisdom to understand things and people.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 20, 2009 9:17 AM

-------------------

i would give you credit for that, but by taking it on your own, you're setting yourself up my friend...

Posted by: crs-one | August 20, 2009 10:02 AM

Washington has a great chance to use mike james expiring contract to land a big man that could improve the defense and contribute in scoring around the rim.(posting, put back)One should not waste this opportunity by having busts like JJ who has a bad contract.I like the Tunder big man but not sure how good he is in defense.Opportunities will open soon.
Stevenson either will be a starter or he is still injured.It is hard to see MJ contribution,he does not play defense.MM should not be a starter unless CB is out, he should take the 6th man role.If DS is out Foye is the right man to start at 2 and JC and DM will have a chance to get minutes.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 20, 2009 10:16 AM

"Kal, I quess I just missed all of those posts where you were praising Critt."

I guess you did. You should pay closer attention from now on.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 10:48 AM

Mike James will not see the floor this season if everyone is healthy -- he is not in the Wizards' plans. He will likely not even dress for games. The PG situation is Arenas backed up by Foye and Critt. Mike James is garbage. He is a veteran but not a solid one -- his skills have evaporated.

Posted by: Chad32 | August 20, 2009 10:50 AM

James contract is a usable asset, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to give up a quality big man for him. In most such cases, teams try to unload the undesirables first. Some team may be willing to dangle a big with talent, but he'll most likely be a guy who comes with enough issues attached to counter balance the on court positives (think Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry).

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 11:12 AM

"Know what else matches? Their inability to anything that will help the Wizards win games. Jeffries stinks."

jj isn't playing in the nba... he's in greece...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | August 20, 2009 11:25 AM

lies........when did JJ sign a deal in greece. i thought that was childress. JJ is listed on the knicks homepage as a c-f

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 20, 2009 12:06 PM

"Kal, I quess I just missed all of those posts where you were praising Critt."

I guess you did. You should pay closer attention from now on.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 10:48 AM

--------------

There's no reason to pay closer attention. It's a comment board. It's not life enriching stuff here. I'm sure we all spend an inordinate amount of time as it is, there's no reason for him to take notes or archive your posts for future reference.

Posted by: crs-one | August 20, 2009 3:18 PM

It's hard not to like Crittenton -- he's got that open-floor game and he knows how to get to the basket. What do the scouts call it? 'Court Vision'. Whatever that means, he's got it. When he's in the flow, the ball just seems to find the right place.

When he's not in the flow, I notice he overdribbles, or takes the ball inside too far, or makes the sort of mistakes you associate with college players. Which by all rights he probably should have been for at least one additional season. He's a victim of the NBA's problems developing young players.

As far as a jump shot, I haven't seen it yet. But Rajon Rondo doesn't have one, either.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 20, 2009 3:59 PM

"For someone who's so secure in his own opinion, you're awfully vindictive over even innocuous comments.Posted by: crs-one"

None of my business, but I didn't see anything vindictive about that comment. Maybe we're getting a little sensitive?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 20, 2009 4:01 PM

Posted by: Samson151 | August 20, 2009 4:01 PM

--------------

It seemed pretty clearly sarcastic. And usually, unless it's meant in humor, sarcasm is more often used condescendingly.

Sensitive perhaps. But Larry's a pretty inoffensive guy, probably a genuinely nice guy. Plenty of reasons to disagree with him, but hardly deserving of sarcasm.

Posted by: crs-one | August 20, 2009 4:25 PM

"Crittenton is going into his 3rd year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 20, 2009 12:44 AM "

I see Flip Flop valuing a solid veteran as a backup over an untested 3rd year guy.

EG would be a complete idiot for having a completely healthy 7 mil point guard wear a suit during games for the entire season and then letting him walk. Then again, stranger things have happened to Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 20, 2009 6:37 PM

Flip Flop probably feels a little pressure to start off with a bang...get some win streaks going...if that happens, he might put in JCritt, but otherwise, JCritt may be stuck with some garbage time.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 20, 2009 7:59 PM

Two of the big 3 (Jamison/Butler) have made statements that if DSteve is healthy he will start, or be the first of the bench (Do they know something we don't?). IMO, based on his Summer League play (and if he continues to improve), NY should be given high consideration for the SG rotation. The weakest area seems to be PG backup, as Foy didn't play well as a PG in Minny. They'll probably use him anyway, but it may be a battle between Critt and James for that spot. As far as backup SF, we're talking MM, with DMac as odd man out(unless he improves his jumper), cause he's not big enough to play PF.

Posted by: WantUnbiasedNews | August 20, 2009 9:50 PM

JAMES will collect splinters in his azz and CRITTER will get some burn.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 21, 2009 12:33 AM

calling MM eminem is racist

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 21, 2009 10:44 AM

MJames is a point guard, not SG unless you want a 6 2" inconsistent shooter who is a defensive liability playing that position off the bench. Unless Foye and Crittenton can't back up Agent Zero at the point (or there are injuries), James will be in a suit until the trade deadline. By that time, I would hope the Wiz could trade his expiring contract to a team that was trying to create cap space and to get another bigman to help provide depth.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 21, 2009 1:25 PM

"calling MM eminem is racist

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 21, 2009 10:44 AM "

Not calling MM eminem is racist.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 21, 2009 10:05 PM

I would hope James would not get a lot of PT this year. He shouldn't. He got a lot of time last year due to injuries and because he could do something that was sorely lacking on last year's team, shoot jumpers. And '88, who cares what his salary is? Not good is not good no matter the price. If James is traded it will be because of his contract, not his skills. And I agree with Kal that James's contract alone will only bring back someone with issues, or with a fat multi-year contract the Wiz would have to eat...which we already know they won't. And can we please stop mentioning Jeffries like he has something to offer? At this point in his career, he's 6'11"...that's it.

I'd like to see Critt continue to get time, but I don't know if he cracks Flip's rotation regularly this year. More time in practice working on his J and working with Sam Cassel on his game though, could do wonders for his '10/'11 chances.

Assuming all are healthy, I think Flip leans on Gil, Foye, DS, and Miller / CB as his primary backcourt. Foye isn't good enough to the be primary ballhandler, but is more than good enough to be the backup there. And he likely gets time as the 2 as well in certain matchups. Young probably gets some run as well if he continues to buy into the program. If Stevenson isn't healthy, Young gets more time and then Critt hopefully gets some regular time as well.

Figure CB gets most of his minutes at the 3 -- though he and Miller are somewhat interchangealbe on the court. Jamison and Haywood start with Blatche and McGee as the primary backups. It does sound like McGuire unfortunately gets squeezed out unless he shows something in camp or in whatever minutes he gets. It's unfortunate because McGuire like Critt shows a lot of versatility and hustle, but the lack of a consistent J makes it tougher to keep them in the lineup.

Posted by: ts35 | August 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Pulling this totally out of thin air, my thought is that the minutes break down like this:

PG - Gil 36 mins, Foye 12 mins
SG - Miller 18 mins, Foye 15 mins, DS / Young 15 mins
SF - Butler 36 mins, Miller 12 mins
PF - Jamison 36 mins, Blatche 12 mins
C - Haywood 28 mins, Blatche 10 mins, McGee 10 mins

Obviously those fluctuate based on matchups, who's playin well, foul trouble, etc, but generally speaking.

So Gil, Caron and AJ get their starters minutes, Miller and Foye get good minutes, Blatche gets enough minutes to continue to develop and Young and McGee get time to show what they can do. If they do well, then the minutes adjust.

But it will all depend on what Flip wants on the floor an who ends up developing chemistry together. If Flip likes DS, Foye's, Young's or Miller's minutes get squeezed. I guess it also depends on how much of a mandate Flip has to get the young 'uns on the floor, either to develop or trade.

Posted by: ts35 | August 24, 2009 3:27 PM

Foye and Arenas could remind us of Larry Hughes and Arenas very soon. Both are combination guards versus pure shooting guards or pure point guards. this could be very good for the Wiz.

I have to agree with previous comments on Critt. he can be solid but I don't see much upside. for what we have seen I just don't see him getting better. There are many guys in the league that can do what he does. He really needs to work on his game. he needs to be able to finish at the rim better, and definitely pull up and hit a 15-18 foot jumper sooner rather than later, or he will be out the league soon!

Posted by: oknow1 | August 25, 2009 11:22 AM