Getting to Know Foye

Do you know which one is Randy Foye? (David Sherman/Getty Images)

It's been almost two months since Randy Foye became a Washington Wizard. And, outside of his introductory news conference with Mike Miller, little has been written about him and what he can possibly contribute to the Wizards. Foye has come to Washington a few times since the deal, but mostly, he has been at home working out in New Jersey.

Since there is very little going on right now, I decided to go back into my notebook and share a little more from my short talk with Foye back in late June, when he talked about the influence of Kevin McHale, a great duel against Dwyane Wade, his relationship with Randy Wittman and the comparisons to Portland all-star Brandon Roy.

Foye had a career-year last season, averaging 16.3 points per game, and really came on strong after McHale replaced Wittman in late December. He averaged 17.6 points under McHale, with three games of 30 or more points. Foye sparked a mini-turnaround for the woeful Timberwolves at the start of the calendar year, leading the team to five consecutive wins, and 10 wins in 12 games in January. His breakthrough game came against the Oklahoma City Thunder, when Foye scored 32 points in just three quarters of a 129-87 win.

Foye credited McHale for pushing his game to new heights. "He just let me go. It was no more if I make a mistake, someone saying anything to me; if I have a turnover, someone looking at me wrong and taking me out of the game. It was, 'Randy, you be you,' " Foye said. "I was myself. I was free. I was free and before I knew it, I'd have 25 points."

I remember watching the Timberwolves once on NBA League Pass last season, when Foye and the Timberwolves hosted Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat. The Timberwolves lost the game, 99-96, and Wade had a game-high 31 points. But Foye nearly matched Wade basket for basket, scoring 14 of his 29 points in the fourth quarter, and added eight assists and five rebounds. Heat Coach Eric Spoelstra said afterward, "Foye is a heck of a player."

I'm free, being me. (AP Photo)

Foye said his performance against Wade was the result of a pre-game pep talk from McHale. "One thing Kev said to me was, 'Anything he can do, you can do,' " Foye said. "When he said that before the game, that's when I knew I was going to make my mark. That game right there, that's when I understood, I'm making my mark right here. I was doing things and I didn't know what I was doing until I'd seen it on Sports Center."

Given his fondness for McHale, I asked Foye if everything was cool with playing again for Wittman, the Wizards assistant who was fired last season after Minnesota started 4-15. "We had a good relationship," Foye said. "He wanted me to do a lot of things. I did a lot of things that was good for him and I also did some things that made him upset. At the same time, when he was in Minnesota, every big game I had, he texted me and told me about it. He told me he loved how I was playing."

Foye was traded three times on draft day in 2006, going from Boston to Portland to Minnesota. In his three years in Minnesota, Foye was dogged with comparisons to two-time all-star Brandon Roy, the player McHale dealt to Portland for Foye's rights.

"I think my second year, when I got hurt and he became an all-star, that's when it got pretty bad," said Foye, who suffered a stress reaction in his left patella before his second season. "But my first year, I was second in [rookie of the year] voting and he was rookie of the year [Foye actually finished fifth, but made the all-rookie team]. When I got hurt, he was blowing up and we was losing. People got restless.

"It's good to get a fresh start," Foye said. "Coming here, I know it won't be questions about that because y'all [Washington] didn't trade him."

There is still much more to know about Foye, but I thought this is a decent start. NBA.com recently posted a really good video about Foye's upbringing in Newark, N.J., and I'd advice you all to watch.

By Michael Lee |  August 19, 2009; 8:38 AM ET
Previous: Heat, Hawks Make Moves | Next: Crittenton Update

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Ummm 1st!

Posted by: Gooddad | August 19, 2009 9:01 AM

first!!

Posted by: Goelez | August 19, 2009 9:04 AM

damn, forgot to refresh the page first...

Posted by: Goelez | August 19, 2009 9:05 AM

This is certainly an optimistic view of Foye. Hopefully he can step in and become an above average 2 that we've been searching for since Jeff Malone, and an excellent backup 1.

Posted by: Dellis2 | August 19, 2009 9:18 AM

Watched the highlights of the game vs. MIA(NBA.com); he matches the talents of the present Wizards (good jump shot, NO D or blow-by quickness). I think he was the benefit of the free-reign system last year in Minnesota that padded his stats. This year, w/ a team full of guns, his stats are sure to go down, but he must learn to play on the ball defense to really stand out (laughing @ the fact McHale thought Foye would be better than BRoy). He needs to be under 200 lbs. for his game to be most effective (aka he needs Tim Grover to put him on the Gil program).

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 19, 2009 9:30 AM

I don't think Foye is a special player. NY might've avg'd 30 playing for minny with MM not shooting and no Jefferson.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 19, 2009 9:35 AM

I think getting him along with Miller was a steal for the pick. Randy has yet to reach his potential at age 25.

The personal tragedies that he has been through in his life has made him a strong person I'm sure.

He will be a key cog in the resurrection of the Wizards franchise and I am excited to have him on our team.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Posted by: zxhoya | August 19, 2009 9:38 AM

If there was one, you wouldn't be here anymore under your present name...

Posted by: Goelez | August 19, 2009 8:58 AM

Not sure what I said that was racist/sexist/etc. But if I offended anyone, I am sorry and will watch what I say more closely.

Posted by: Blurred | August 19, 2009 9:58 AM

And i hope Foye really is what we've been looking for as a true combo guard that can let Gilbert tear up the court by not letting defenses cheat by laying off Foye.

And...as I am having a good day here, I hope everyone else does too, including DCMan and Kalo.

Posted by: Blurred | August 19, 2009 10:00 AM

What's the story with Critter being injured?

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 10:04 AM

"This year, w/ a team full of guns, his stats are sure to go down, but he must learn to play on the ball defense to really stand out (laughing @ the fact McHale thought Foye would be better than BRoy). He needs to be under 200 lbs. for his game to be most effective (aka he needs Tim Grover to put him on the Gil program).Posted by: bernard_thompson"

If the minutes go down, so will the points, but I don't know how much weight loss would improve his game. His body fat is a little high, but he's never going to be quick enough to defend the really quick guys. I think he's a good acquisition.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 10:21 AM

Posted by: fifthstop | August 19, 2009 10:26 AM

great, another guard who can't/won't play defense.

Posted by: outrbnksm | August 19, 2009 10:29 AM

How good will the Wiz be next year if GA gets injured again? Say we lose him for half the season - I believe the Wiz would likely limp into the playoffs at least.

Hope they keep Dixon. Believe that one or more of the guards in front of him will go via trade prior to the season.

from the prior thread: And Joe Smith deserved to be picked first in his draft based on his body of work in college. Efficient - not a lot of shots taken, consistent 20-10 games, quick, coachable (Wallace was a head case back then as well). Sure a few of his peers have had much better pro careers (R. Wallace and T. Duncan) but he came out as a Soph, with GW's blessing, b/c he knew he was the consensus #1 pick. It was the Joe Smith draft. Now he did have the misfortune of being drafted by the Warriors who were terrible at the time. So he did not turn out to have a Magic Johnson sort of career...at the time, any GM would have been crucified for not taking him with the first pick.

terps fanatic, Redskins fanatic, but merely a Wiz fan. Oh yeah, and prefer the Os to the Nats. Root for Gtown as well, moreso than the Wiz. It is too hard to watch an NBA game - when I have gone to the Verizon center, the most noise made by the crowd is during the Kiss Cam. Prefer the Comcast Center. More fun.

Posted by: HughGRection | August 19, 2009 10:47 AM

What are you guys talking about? I live in Minneapolis. The dude is a very decent defender. Ummm...has trouble staying in front of quicker guards? Duh, who doesn't?

He, right now, is probably already our best defender at 1/2 position. He reminds me a lot of a healthy DS on defense, which is to say rugged and hustles on defense. He is no matador ala GA.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 19, 2009 11:15 AM

Limited or not it seems that what brought out whatever Foye had was a coach allowing him to play without being yanked for making mistakes.

Now there is something to be said for allowing a player to play. Something this year we hopefully will have more of.

And yes, please don't tell me JCrit is really hurt.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 11:15 AM

great, another person who looks for negatives/has nothing positive to say.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 19, 2009 11:51 AM

I want to see him in the backcourt next to Gil, with Nick as "O" off the bench.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 19, 2009 11:54 AM

I watch a lot of NBA games via the NBA ticket. I watched more then a few Minny games last year because I was interested in seeing how Love did as a rookie.

Foye was a guy that caught my eye again and again last year, the guy can defend. No, he's not the guy to put on super quick points, but he's a good defender at the 2.

I don't get all the he can't defend posts.

I'm not so sure his scoring will go down this year, he was in a position where he needed to create shoots for himself last year. This year he's going to get more open looks off of Gil, Jamison, and Butler.

A very solid move, I still bet he'll be the next guy to make an Allstar game playing beside Gil.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 19, 2009 11:54 AM

flohrtv

You know people on this blog look for something negative to say about anything. They probably said something negative as soon as their children were being born.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 19, 2009 12:12 PM

Why? Haywood is totally aghast that any GM would be still be considering SM and he all but called him something funny, based upon those website spots that SM is running of himself.

What gives guys, does Marbury still have pull with Flip? I hope not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2009 12:14 PM

Hey Bernard Thompson: You watched the highlights of one game last year and you have now analyzed Foye's game? I agree with fphilli721. Foyes is an excellent talented guard who could start for more than half the teams in the league. Having him in the mix with the rest of the team is a huge upgrade.

Posted by: larryrob | August 19, 2009 12:26 PM

Foye should be a nice compliment to Arenas at the 2 or running the 2nd team offense. As many of the posters have already said, he needs to improve him on ball defense or we're going to be seeing DSS playing in the 4th quarter of close games as our defensive stopper more than I'd like. As for scoring, we don't need Foye to put up 15-20 a night, just be a threat so that teams don't slough off on Agent Zero, CB3, and Jamison.

In the long-term, Foye has a lot of upside and is a nice insurance policy if anything were to Arenas. Adding Miller and Foye to the fold for what turned out to be Rubio was a no-brainer IMO.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 19, 2009 12:34 PM

In fact, we ALL watched him play @ 'Nova; his game hasn't changed much since then. Considering that he was compared to DWade coming into the NBA and traded for BRoy, he has definitely disappointed. But, I must say that his addition to the Wiz is a good move, being that he's the 7th man and not having to be "the" man.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 19, 2009 12:37 PM

Yeah I can't say I've seen Minnesota play. So I've never watched Foye besides when he was at Villanova. From what I gathered, he's a solid player and his scouting report is better than any guard coming out of the draft this year...AND we got Mike Miller with him. Very good pickup.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 19, 2009 12:38 PM

Name'em

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 19, 2009 12:42 PM

"It seems like people are criticizing him without ever seeing him play. I love this board.Posted by: SDMDTSU"

It's actually much easier. For instance, I like to fill out the movie review card before the previews begin. My comments are so unbiased that way...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 12:49 PM

About Foye: he suffers mainly in comparison with superstars. If you just look at him as an NBA regular, he measures up quite well.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 12:50 PM

Right now we just have people claiming he can defend, and then others complaining that he can't.

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 12:57 PM

I watched Foye play in Middle School and on the playground when he was like 13 and he was awesome. He could block all the 11 year old kids shots and could palm the junior sized ball.

Posted by: Blurred | August 19, 2009 1:15 PM

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 19, 2009 1:18 PM

"Foye is a strong defender at the point -- he's big for the position but also can move his feet and cut off penetration. Because of his strength he can also defend shooting guards, and as he gains more experience he should be an above-average defender at both positions. "

I'll buy that for a dollar. Thanks Bernard.

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 1:46 PM

I agree... G.I. Joe 2 was complete garbage. Waste of money.

Name'em

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 19, 2009 12:42 PM

Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Indiana, MINNESOTA, New Jersey, New Orleans, Toronto, Utah, Washington and that's leaving out Houston, Milwaukee, Miami, New York, Philly, and Sacremento if they wanted to play him at the 1...but scouting reports say he's not as effective there, but with another combo guard who knows.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 19, 2009 2:10 PM

HughGRection ?

too funny.

Posted by: original_mark | August 19, 2009 2:18 PM

Foye reminds me of Stackhouse (I mean that in a good way).

Posted by: sunnyman1 | August 19, 2009 2:27 PM

If Javaris was hurt in any significant way, it would have been reported by now---probably an ankle sprain or poke in the eye or something...

Posted by: psdfx | August 19, 2009 2:34 PM

I wish we did the same with Nick Young and Javale last year. We would yank them out of the game if they breathed funny...like were were a championship contender and they were f'n up our mojo. WE WON 19 GAMES LAST YEAR. Let's see loser mike james, songalia, and that dominic maguire average 2 points and 3 rebounds instead.

Great strategy Tapscott and Ernie.

Good luck with your 343439434 wing players and your $85342432534322 team salary for the next 6 years.

MAKES SENSE!!!!!

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | August 19, 2009 2:47 PM

I think it is only $85,342,432,534,312

Posted by: Blurred | August 19, 2009 3:14 PM

Being able to "start for more than half the teams in the league" doesn't say much of anything about how good he is. Lots of teams have guys starting for them who are nothing more than role players who don't excel at any particular thing but fill a specific need or fit a certain slot. Kwame Brown was a starter in the league. So was Jared Jeffries.

That said, Foye appears to be a solid (if not necessarily star-quality) SG who can do several things on the floor. is he likely to be a perennial All-Star? Nope. Doesn't mean he's not any goo though.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:18 PM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 19, 2009 2:10 PM

hate to be a jerk but how could he be a starter in MINNESOTA, when they traded him for a guy who's playing ball in spain?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 19, 2009 3:19 PM

That should read:

"Doesn't mean he's not any good though."

Although, for all I know, he may well be goo, too.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:28 PM

"Based on that, I think he should be an all-star and his jersey will replace LeBron's and the leagues best seller."

But will he score more total points and grab more total rebounds in his career than a bunch of guys who only play half as many NBA season as him? Because, as we all know, that's the real measure of a player's value.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:31 PM

"Look @ who's he's most similar to? ouch!!"

In his prime, Vinny Del Negro was a solid, if unspectacular, player on some good Spurs teams.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:36 PM

"Googleling trying to find out if JCritt is really hurt and there is a still a rumor out there that Stephon Marbury is still being considered by the Wizards."

Try Goggling the word "rumor."

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 19, 2009 3:42 PM

2nd in RoY voting? When's the last time we had someone with that credential? Not bad to have that for your 4th option... -fifthstop

Foye's trade partner, Mike Miller was ROY in 2001.

Posted by: midlevex | August 19, 2009 3:52 PM

"Is there anyone with any verifiable evidence concerning whether or not Foye can defend? Scouting reports perhaps?
Posted by: crs-one"

LOL I find it mildly scary that a scouting report can be considered 'verifiable evidence.' But we aim to please, so here's Draft Express' report on his performance at the 2008 Summer League (year before this).

"Defense: An average defender at best, despite his superior size and strength at the point guard position. Not particularly intense or fundamentally sound. Has a laid back demeanor that serves him well offensively, but makes him look lackadaisical on the other end. Lateral quickness appears to be average when attempting to stay in front of very athletic slashing guards, uses his hands too much and often gets caught flat-footed on the perimeter. Struggles in particular on the pick and roll, showing just awareness and not being physical enough trying to fight through screens. Gets posted up when attempting to defend shooting guards in a small backcourt, and often lets players have his way with him down there. Like everyone on his team 9the Wolves], needs to make significant improvements on this end of the floor, but definitely has the tools to do so if he puts his mind to it."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 4:11 PM

Thanks for the article, Mike. My own take is that everybody is going to be asking in five years, "you got Foye for what?". The guy is a sleeper. If the chemistry works with Saunders, Arenas and the rest of the team, Foye will be putting his all-star capabilities on display night after night. And the dude likes to play defense.

His challenges are learning to play alongside Arenas and alternatively leading the 2nd team (e.g., Foye, Young, Miller, Blatche and McGree) when Arenas sits.

Should be interesting to see this unfold.

Posted by: Izman | August 19, 2009 4:24 PM

From the scouting report from ESPN Insider:

Posted by: Izman | August 19, 2009 4:27 PM

Question for the haters...

If Foye is such a terrible defender and not actually a talent on offense just luck Mchale let him bombs away....just who were we supposed to get with the 5th pick that would be better?

Ricky "Cant shoot" Rubio? Johnnie "5'9"" Flynn? Stephen "what defense?" Curry?

Foye could easily turn out better than any guard chosen in this draft, and almost certainly will be better than any of them this year.

Plus Mike Miller.

Nice work ernie

Posted by: divi3 | August 19, 2009 5:12 PM

or he could not. the unknown is how he will fare in the wizards crowded backcourt on a team with 3 legit scorers who want their mins and shots. he won't be able to gun it out, like in minny w/o Big Jeff and i doubt there's a player on theis wizards team who will defer to him on offense, oh wait we traded for miller too. The defensive stuff that's been posted (links to scouting reports)lead me to beleive that he is an avg defender at best. i hope he does well here, but it sounds like he struggles against 2 guards on d, and could only hit 30 3 times with the green light,a reluctant spotup shooter, and no big.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 19, 2009 5:23 PM

Gotta agree the trade was a winner. Now lets hope BH stays healthy. If GA comes back to form, it could be a great couple of years for the Wiz.

Posted by: HughGRection | August 19, 2009 5:23 PM

Any guard we drafted would have been in a crowd backcourt, and a possible bust (i'm looking at you Menudo).

At least with Foye we know for a fact he can play and produce in the league.

Agree he wont be able to gun, hopefully that doesnt bother him and he's happy to knock down all the open looks he gets rather than try and take over the game like Mchale was allowing

Posted by: divi3 | August 19, 2009 5:33 PM

Per Michael Lee:

I asked about Crittenton and heard that he twisted his ankle in a game, but was in Washington earlier this week, working out, and looked okay. So, everybody can relax. It's nothing serious.

Posted by: GoEagles | August 19, 2009 6:35 PM

Yeah and he did start there, and how did that trade work out for them? Who is starting there now? Another GM or coach would rather have him than that a guy playing ball in Spain.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 19, 2009 7:39 PM

Randy...You were fifth, not second, in Rookie of the Year voting. Brandon Roy got nearly 20 times as many votes.... 638 vs your 37. Adam Morrison finished higher than you.

Posted by: mdsmith4008 | August 19, 2009 8:01 PM

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 4:11 PM

------------

ok, i can only smile sheepishly on my choice of words there.

just looking for something a little more substantial than people going "are not/is too."

thanks for the draft express review. did you watch him at all last year to have an opinion on if he's improved his defense closer to what the espn report was describing?

Posted by: crs-one | August 19, 2009 9:45 PM

43rd!

A lot of so called experts are picking the Wizards to have a very good year because of this trade. I hope they are right.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 20, 2009 9:34 AM

Now they have 4 guys (gil, aj,cb and foye) playing "MYSELF" ball.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 20, 2009 10:25 AM