Haywood Radio

I've got a lot to say -- from 7-10 on Friday nights. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE/Getty Images)

Dan Steinberg spoke with Brendan Haywood about his plans to host a weekly talk radio show on 106.7 the Fan. The show will air on Fridays from 7 pm-to-10 pm. Haywood already spoke with Mike Wise on Wise's new radio show yesterday and made some very pointed comments about former coach Eddie Jordan. The highlight came when Wise asked Haywood about his feud with Jordan, which resulted in Haywood removing his nameplate after Cleveland eliminated the Wizards from the playoffs in 2007:

"Let me ask you a question though," he said. "If a coach and a player aren't seeing eye to eye, why is it always the player's fault? I never ever said anything negative about Eddie Jordan, but why is it always the player's fault? At some point you've got to look at who's he playing. Hey, if I'm not playing behind Yao Ming or Dwight Howard, I'm gonna sit down and be quiet. My thing is this: you've got to play your horses. I felt I was the best center we had on the team, I think I got a chance to show that."
And I've always said one thing, if you give me consistent minutes I'll be consistent. Even before that, when Etan and Kwame were both hurt, I had a great year then. But when they came back, my minutes were scattered again, and as a player I couldn't understand that, and I didn't want to accept that role."

He then added this doozy:

"I feel there has to be a level of accountability on both ends. You know, if you're not playing your best players, then you're doing your team a disservice, especially when you're doing it to try to make a point, when you're trying to spite somebody. You know, you can't go out there and play against Ilgauskas with guys that are 6-8, 6-9. You're hurting the team. You're hurting D.C. It's not about you; it's about the team."

I didn't think playing Haywood against Zydrunas Ilgauskas would've made a difference in 2007 -- the Wizards were headed for a quick first round exit without Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler. But I've talked to several players who are convinced that if Haywood, not Michael Ruffin, had been on the floor in the closing seconds of Games 3 and 5 in 2006, LeBron James would not have been able to pull off his infamous travels, um, finishes in that great series. Who knows what that would've done for this franchise?

Haywood contemplated demanding a trade in the summer of 2007, but Ernie Grunfeld refused to move a relatively productive 7-footer with a reasonable salary. Grunfeld later encouraged Jordan to meet with Haywood in Charlotte before training camp because those two were going to be stuck together, for better or worse. The two cleared the air -- for the second summer in a row, believe it or not -- and Haywood came back to have a career season (which was aided by the absence of Etan Thomas and any other big man to challenge him for minutes).

Asked to go back in time, Haywood didn't hold back on Jordan, which should make that Nov. 24 game against Philadelphia even more thrilling (Did anyone else notice that that was the same day Jordan was fired last season?).

Haywood told Steinberg that he is trying to get Gilbert Arenas to call in for an interview. I'm assuming Haywood, as Arenas's teammate for six seasons, would have more success than everyone else this summer. Anyway, you should check out both interviews, which Steinberg has up on the DC Sports Bog.

By Michael Lee  |  August 5, 2009; 2:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Important Game I Forgot to Highlight
Next: A Hall of Fame Wizard?

Comments

It'll be interesting to see how many of the same people who fell all over themselves to Rip Eddie Jordan following his rather tepid criticism of Grunfeld during his Comcast interview will now grab hold of Haywood's jock and hang on for dear life as they praise him for his "candidness."

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

'Hey, if I'm not playing behind Yao Ming or Dwight Howard, I'm gonna sit down and be quiet'

I hate comments like this from Brenda. Reminds me of his "you cant beat your big brother" comments regarding shaq always busting his chops.

Come on Haywood, don't give an inch to anyone!

Posted by: divi3 | August 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess BTH is looking for a new career...since he is going to get abused by shaq and howard this year?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

reading those what-ifs about the 2006 series just makes me wanna barf. Haywood may have helped but Lebron can get past anyone when he cheats by traveling. UGh I HATE THAT MAN!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | August 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's to Brendan testing the free agent market next year and getting a big fat reality check.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 5, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

via Truehoop:

The NBA was nice enough to provide this breakdown of how many pairs of back-to-back games each team has.

Charlotte Bobcats 23

Miami Heat 18
Cleveland Cavaliers 18
Oklahoma City Thunder 18
San Antonio Spurs 17

New Orleans Hornets 16

Posted by: andy22 | August 5, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The more Brendan talks the more pressure he'll feel to perform, which is all good in my book. When Brendan came back last year he looked like just what we needed - a big who plays big. At this point in his career it's safe to say he'll never be an offensive threat, but he will clog the middle and reliably box his man out for rebounds. JaVale is the future but Brendan is now.

Posted by: Firuz1 | August 5, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"And I've always said one thing, if you give me consistent minutes I'll be consistent. Even before that, when Etan and Kwame were both hurt, I had a great year then."
-Brendan Haywood

Has Brendan Haywood ever had a great year? Adequate, not bad perhaps or a little above average, but never great, not yet anyway.
That said I was underwhelmed with Jordan's handling of the center position during his tenure; Haywood's performance was not optimized and Thomas and Haywood wound up as a rather unproductive tandem. Not all Jordan's fault but he shares some blame I think.

Posted by: midlevex | August 5, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

i wonder what Dwight and Yao have to say about Haywood's advances

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 5, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

As far as the 8/9 man rotation...

Haywood - C (starter)
McGee - C/PF
Blatche - C/PF
Jamison - PF/SF (starter)
Butler - SF (starter)
Miller - SG/SF (starter)
Young - SG
Foye - PG/SG
Arenas - PG (starter)

Not bad...

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 5, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

if we do make the playoffs wil Joe smith be any better than the hot garbage he was in cleve's series vs orl?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 5, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

'I really hope we still sign Joe Smith.'

I had wanted Smith rather than Kevin Sorbo, but we got Sorbo and I dont see Ernie signing Smiff

Posted by: divi3 | August 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"When Brendan came back last year he looked like just what we needed - a big who plays big"

People forget how big Haywood really is. He's actually a little taller than Tyson Chandler, and has excellent extension. Plus he's strong enough to handle guys like Marc Gasol. He's not going to jump around and block a lot of shots, or make fancy moves on the basket, but as a defensive player, he knows what he's doing and is big enough to execute it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 5, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"I really hope we still sign Joe Smith. I think he'd be a perfect addition to this team. We can use him in the low post and on the boards, and his experience and work ethic would be vital for our young guys. It would give us 15, but we'd still have the flexibility of dealing Mike James' expiring contract if we develop a need during the season. posted by darnell1"

I don't get the continuing urge to sign vets who are going to sit at the end of the bench. How do you develop any young players? It's hard enough to get them on the court during the season. Plus Joe Smith belongs on a sure contending club.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 5, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Why would Joe Smith sign here?

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"He's not going to jump around and block a lot of shots, or make fancy moves on the basket, but as a defensive player, he knows what he's doing and is big enough to execute it."

Which makes all those years when he half-assed it through games even more of a disappointment.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

'People forget how big Haywood really is.'

Bingo. Haywood is rarely ever on the floor with a stronger or longer player than himself. He'll never be able to score much, but he's more athletic than he gets credit for and can cause absolute fits for dwight howard while standing tall against any banger outside shaqzilla.

Play big and tough Brendon, that's all we need from ya

Posted by: divi3 | August 5, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 5, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | August 5, 2009 4:57 PM

are we still talkin bout basketball?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 5, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"I would just like to have a guy like Joe Smith to backup Antawn... someone who can rebound and play physical, and someone who is experienced and dependable, especially come playoff time." Darnell1
The conclusion seems to be that the Wizards will venture as constituted, well into the season's twists and turns, before they work out what they need and who they can trade to supplement their revealed shortcomings.
They may want to eventually add a PF/C unless, in the unlikely event that everyone stays healthy and Blatche and McGee come on like gangbusters.

Posted by: midlevex | August 5, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Haywood is rarely ever on the floor with a stronger or longer player than himself. "

Not really. Haywood is big, but he's not esp. strong for a guy his size. It's one of the reasons his post game is so anemic, because he has trouble getting and holding position under the basket to get the ball. it's also why, despite his length, he's always had trouble flushing offensive rebounds in traffic.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

'it's also why, despite his length, he's always had trouble flushing offensive rebounds in traffic.'

i would say his inexplicable propensity to bring the ball back down to his knees rather than just go back up with it is the problem there.

Or hopefully WAS the problem

Posted by: divi3 | August 5, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

And the main reason he does that is because he lacks the strength (and the vertical explosion) to grab the ball out of the air in traffic and force his way to the rim through contact without bringing the ball down to gather himself first.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I doubt the Wiz would do it, but I see some reasoning behind a Joe Smith signing.

Jordan was sitting Haywood just to prove he could. Even Tapscott would have seen that Haywood was the only guy we had to matchup with Z.

Jordan didn't take the high road when given the chance, not a surprise that Haywood had an answer for him.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 5, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Jordan was sitting Haywood just to prove he could. "

Was he trying to make a point? Sure. but I'm pretty certain that wasn't the point he was making, because I'm pretty certain that everyone understood going in that, as coach, Jordan could sit anyone anytime. That's part of his job. There was no need for him to prove that to anyone.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

One thing I didn't like about how EJ played Brendan is that he'd give him the ball down low for the first few posessions to "get him into the game" and then totally ignore him on offense for the entire rest of the game! Brendan can be serviceable on offense and EJ did not get the best out of him. That's my only criticism of EJ- how he used his bigs was REALLY counterproductive. And yes, I could never understand why he'd remove BH at the end of games and go small, and then not re-insert him when we get bullied and outrebounded.
That's all we need from him: to be very good on defense and SERVICEABLE on offense! He could easily be a 12-15ppg and 9-10 rebound guy with 2 blocks a steal and and a couple assists- if we let him.

Personally, I liked Etan Thomas. He didn't fit in with this clownish fun-bunch of a team. Much more of a serious thinker, a true "mensch." I think that their feud was in large part EJ's fault because he assumed that to get the best out of them he had to create a war for minutes between the two. I don't think that's the best philosophy. He could have even played them on the floor together for stretches and been very successful, but he always kept them separate and at opposition with each other. That was poor coaching, I believe.

Posted by: jistutz | August 5, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

And Kallie doesn't understand what I'm talking about, being the smart-ass consultant who knows everything but has never managed anything.

Posted by: Izman | August 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

GM
Posted by: flohrtv

I could be wrong but I remember Jordan's criticism being directed at the organization/Ernie.

Managing people and groups of people is part art, part science. EJ had neither. Flip has both.Posted by: Izman

Managers get to hire and fire(or in the NBA -trade) people. That would be Ernie's job. And for a guy considered a player's coach, Flip has had a lot of unhappy players in both Minnesota and Detroit, so don't expect everything to be so rosy in DC.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Managing 12 individuals doing anything ain't easy.
Keeping all of them happy is impossible.

Posted by: VBFan | August 5, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"Managing 12 individuals doing anything ain't easy.
Keeping all of them happy is impossible.

Posted by: VBFan | August 5, 2009 8:27 PM

In other words, Izman is an idiot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with BTH.

No one can dispute the fact that when given consistent minutes, BTH produces.

No one can also dispute the fact that this team with BTH manning the middle, made it to the playoffs sans Gilby.

The following year, straight to the lottery without BTH.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 5, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 5, 2009 5:31 PM
____

I would have to say that Haywoods general lack of coordination is/was his main problem hence his constant "reloading" etc.... Not lack of strength. He has greatly improved in that area as he has matured. Is he Howard or Shaq stong? Of course not, but neither are most people in the league.

I have grown to have a lot of respect for Haywood as he is a good player/solid NBA center now and is very knowledgeable about the game. He knows where to be on the court on offense and defense. He is a really good offensive rebounder. He sets the defense. And he actually has some go to moves now in the post. He is actually a big key to this season. Much more valuable than stats alone would suggest.

As for his comments, just more nails in EJ's coffin. I was calling his bluff even when we were fairly successful bc I never saw great coaching from him. In fact, I saw a lot of talent and very little from him. Guess that is why his career winning % is still 44%.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 5, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

BTH's strength is his length and timing for the blocked shot. He always dunks two handed probably because he has small hands. He's very good at not letting his man back him down.

Also, BTH has emerged as a pretty good FT shooter.

BTH's has allowed people like Gilby and MeTawn to cheat on defense. Without BTH back there, as MeTawn freely admits, the guys on the team are lost.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 5, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I think EG's decision to can EJ last year has been more than justified. EG saw that EJ had lost the team (or enough guys) even if one of those guys like BH were out for the year and decided it was time to make the move. It had nothing to do with the 2-12 start or whatever it was per se. It was just the opportunity presented itself. And, all the talk of trying to save the season at that point was just lip service. EG knew a lost season was on the way. Why wait?

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 5, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I saw a lot of talent and very little from him. Guess that is why his career winning % is still 44%. Posted by: rphilli721

Posted by: djnnnou | August 6, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

"The Wizards have had decent starters, but the bench was weak during Jordan's tenure. Other than Steve Blake and Roger Mason, I can't think of another player that has left and made a solid contribution with another team.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 6, 2009 1:47 AM "

And that's b/c EG has drafted and recruited so poorly.

BTW, Les BouleS have yet to sniff 2nd round since LH left.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 6, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse

I always thought BH played weak. So many times I'd see him with position and the right bounce for a rebound and he would get shoved out of the way. At least Oberto knows that when he gets pushed, you flop to the floor like mad.

I'd rather get the board, but may as well try for the foul if you can't do job 1.

Seriously...All the pics I see are of Haywood scowling like he is some kind of monster out there, when the more typical photo should be of him with and elbow in his back, his head jerked back and his arms flailing as someone else grabs the ball.

Posted by: Blurred | August 6, 2009 5:31 AM | Report abuse

I liked EJ, but the worst aspect of his performance was how he mismanaged the center position. He should have said to BH, I'll give you 35-40 minutes a night, now put up or shut up. And he could have given ET some time at power forward so his minutes didn't decline too drastically. After all, ET is a power forward, not a center.

Reading Flip's comments about the team I already see that he's a completely different level of coach who may not win a championship but will assuredly have the right players on the floor most of the time.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | August 6, 2009 6:06 AM | Report abuse

....despite his length, he's always had trouble flushing offensive rebounds in traffic.

If this is one of the biggest criticisms folks can come up with, I'm encouraged. Who flushes offensive rebounds with any regularity? Most ppl are boxed out on offensive rebounds and get them as a result of a long(er) rebound. If there was some way to track 'flushes off offensive rebounds', I'm pretty sure there arent that many guys that do it with any regularity.

Posted by: original_mark | August 6, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I dont know where folks come up with a lot of this nonsense. Haywood is both big AND strong. Ask LeBron.

Also, you can say what you want about his first few years in the league but the well documented 'feud' as well as the lack of any development plan for our players is the major cause of the stunted growth of all of our players. Additionally, it takes time for a lot of young centers to gain the strength to be able to compete against grown men....particularly if they play in the low post.

As for the free agent market, I'm pretty sure the reality check will be on our part when we realize how much he's actually worth as he's waving goodbye.

Posted by: original_mark | August 6, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

When you manage people for a living, you learn to move past how to pick fights, and learn where to pick your fights.

Some really smart people never learn that simple lesson and spend all day, day after day moving from one fight to the next. And they're always somebody else's fault.

Eddie never grasped that Haywood was a core player for the Wizards, some guy's impact on the floor go way beyound their stats. Haywood and Daniels were two of those kind of players. Their impact was hard to see until they weren't healthy and were out, or severely hobbled.

Jordon critized Grunfeld by bemoaning his lack of an NBA center. I can't see any other way that Haywood could take that except a parting shot.

Haywood and Etan weren't fits in Jordan's offense, that's why we saw "smallball" so often. Jordan wasn't a coach that thought a whole lot about defensive stops, he was going to try and out score the other guy.

His 4th quarter lineups are stuff of legend on this site.

I never thought we'd see a coach as accomplished as Flip Suanders on the Wizards bench. Really looking forward to watching him work with this team, it's going to be a totally different situation then Detroit for Flip.

The only thing the guy is missing is that ring, so he's accomplished and still hungry. And so are the Wizards and their fans...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 6, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Then again - BH is the best we have for another year, so I hope I misjidged him.

I do believe that while Ab will get 20 minutes a night at the beginning of the season, barring an injury to Jamison, McGee will be picking up some of those minutes all season long and AB will relegated to scrub time - unfortunately.

Posted by: Blurred | August 6, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Les BouleS have yet to sniff 2nd round since LH left.

Gilbert scored and assisted more and LH rebounded better. They shot the same putrid fg%.

In the conference semi series against Miami, LH shot 32% to Gil's 38%. Gil outscored and out assisted. LH.

Bottom line is that Gil played better than LH that year in the playoffs. What's with all the love for LH ?

Posted by: original_mark | August 6, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember Jordan ever saying anything good about Haywood even when he had a great game.

Posted by: browneri | August 6, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

At the peak of the EJordan/Haywood controversy, when Brendan was a below average center at best, I felt that when he was on the bench watching Etan play, he felt he could do better than that bum Etan. When the roles were reversed, Etan would be sitting on the bench thinking I could do better than that bum Brendan. They both thought they were better than each other because both were bums. Eddie did blow Cleveland series #1 though by delegating Brendan to the bench.

By the way, I am proud of all the bloggers who thus far in this thread, have ignored the ignorance of certain people whose only goal in life is to inflame wizard fans on a daily basis with no value added to the blog.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Love Brendan. I made a comment several blogs back about Brendan concerning his detractors. I noted that during his entire tenure he averaged less than half a game of playing time.

And that if you asked Brendan, that he would say his lack of mpg was an huge issue.

I too was like Rphilli721 in that I felt like even when the Wiz was making the playoffs, that Ernie still was not maximizing the Team.

And by the way, one of his strong points is offensive rebounding. He has always done this and it will be even more evident this year when he averages more than half a game of playing time.

Brendan T. Haywood has been a class act since he arrived here. 7-foot centers that can play are scarce. What Eddie Jordan was doing was like oxy-moronic, for when Haywood was on the floor in his offense the Team faired better.

Go figure that one out.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 6, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

LH did hold it down, fg% nonwithstanding. he was gils's best wingman, they were more comfortable together than i think he is with ds or cb. I dunno if his performance since he left the wiz is any way to accurately asses his contributions while he was on the team.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

" think EG's decision to can EJ last year has been more than justified. EG saw that EJ had lost the team (or enough guys) even if one of those guys like BH were out for the year and decided it was time to make the move. It had nothing to do with the 2-12 start or whatever it was per se. It was just the opportunity presented itself. And, all the talk of trying to save the season at that point was just lip service. EG knew a lost season was on the way. Why wait?Posted by: rphilli721"

Two problems with this version: first, I don't think Jordan had 'lost' the team. If Grunfeld thought that, then he should have made the change before the season, or after the preceding season. By doing it the way he did -- a dozen games in, and replacing Ed Jordan with a placeholder -- Ernie may have effectively guaranteed the season would be lost.

By the way, Tapscott did a fairly good job of getting the younger guys on the court last year. McGuire averaged 26.2 minutes, Blatche 24 minutes, Nick Young 22.4, Javaris Crittenton 20.2. That's not bad for young players, considering that's not who the fans at the games paid to see. The only one who was under 20 minutes was McGee at 15.2. This I didn't have a problem with because at that point in his development, I thought what he needed most was an offseason strength and conditioning program.

Of course I'm leaving out Pecherov, who only played 8.7 when he got in the game, and who they probably had already decided to trade.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The Cavaliers badly overpaid for Larry Hughes. It's a shame really for Larry because he never fit in there, or any where else since he left the Wiz.

Teams will do that sometimes, overpay for a FA just to attempt to break up the chemistry of a rival while improving themselves. I can't see that the move really worked out for the Cav's.

I quess the latest deal that involved that string of bloated contracts was the Shaq deal for Wallace.

We'll have to see how that one works out, it sure doesn't make the Cav's any quicker, and that was the flaw that Orlando exposed in the playoffs.

Larry will be a FA agian next summer, I'd quess he'll be lucky to make the Vet Min.

He might have been better off to have taken less from the Wiz, continued to be a solid contributor,resigned a new contract next summer, and retired as one of Abe's favorites...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"7-foot centers that can play are scarce"

This is a key point and why Haywood has far more value than some people give him credit for.

However he played like a Sally (or a Brenda) for years dating back to college. Always the clear physical ability to be dominant was there (at least defensively)...but there was something soft mentally. Despite all the scowling.

How many times did I think "If only we could put Mike Ruffin's brain into Haywoods body!"

Perhaps it's the old big men take long to develop theorem, but regardless, the switch has flipped for him assuming he picks up where he left off. Key piece to this team, and someone we have to keep. Guys his size and strength that can walk and chew gum arent common.

Heck, even specifically considering our matchups with Orlando- Haywood is invaluable. DHoward is 'short' comparatively and has yet to show any sort of effectiveness away from basket. Haywood will go a long way towards neutralizing him. I hope

Posted by: divi3 | August 6, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

all day that flohrtv! he def shoulda stayed here, it was family issues that made him move. I think his bro was real sick and had a specialist near his hometowm of ST. Lou. i guess it's a lil closer than DC.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 6, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Look at Suanders record/look at Eddie's.

It's a business, and Grunfeld saw the chance to upgrade the coach, no different trading to upgrade at center.

Meanwhile they played out the season and instead of possibly battling all yr for an 8 seat, they got a top 5 pick. lots of green players got court time under Tapps.

Ernie used it to grab another starter and a sixth man. Eddie landed in Philly, he'll use the experience(mistakes)from here to be a better coach.

But in the end, the Wiz got the upgrade in coach and players, if Gil's healthy, it could be a fun year.

GM

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, and Pecherov might be a rotation player in Minn. there's a Slavic population there, so the kid might have landed in the best spot in the NBA for himself. Find himself some good Russian food...
GM"

You want Russians, you have to go to Brooklyn. Little Odessa. Or Toronto.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 6, 2009 8:10 AM

Find himself some good Russian food...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 6, 2009 10:19 AM

GM,

You made me hungry...now I need to stop by Hank's Place (Chadds Ford, PA)and get a poached egg cordon bleu breakfast before playing 18 today

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"But I've talked to several players who are convinced that if Haywood, not Michael Ruffin, had been on the floor in the closing seconds of Games 3 and 5 in 2006, LeBron James would not have been able to pull off his infamous travels, um, finishes in that great series."

Haywood was in the game at the end of game 5 on the final play; he was defending the inbounds pass. Haywood was supposed to force the pass to the center of the court but James received the pass going towards the basket.

Posted by: A2daRon | August 6, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

How long will it be before Brenda picks a fight with McGee. This guy is avg at best. Look at his career. He has never avg 10pts and 10 rebs. His problem is he can't see and he is uncoordinated. He has to gather his feet everytime to jump. You'll never see him jump off 1 leg except for throwing up a hook shot. He's big but that's it. Teams drove the lane at will against Haywood with no fear of a block shot. I remember blogger asking him to hard foul someone and he finally accidentally did.

What's he gonna say on the radio 1/2 through the season when McGee start to get more of his minutes. It's the coaches fault again. McGee will get stronger and with Flip's new style Haywood can't play with him now. Oh I would love to see the practices to see how many times Haywood gets dunked on. For this team player crap teammates don't fight with teammates because they are beating you out. You stepup or shutup.

I hope Flip don't fall into the trap of playing Brendan, Jamison and Caron 35+ every night. We finally have some young talented people on this team that need to play. Last yr was a joke with a jr high coach and seeing Jamison and Caron play so many minutes on a team that won 19gms. I guess if they had played all 40 we would have won another game. NOT.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | August 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

THE TEAM NEEDS A "GREAT" BIG MAN COACH!

My vote is for Bill Laimbeer!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 6, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Michael,

Can you send me the name of the person you used (in Photoshop) to doctor the photo you used in your post of BTH dunking?

I thought if he/she could make BTH look like a real center maybe we could help kal's photo on match.com and he could get a date?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnbrown4 | August 6, 2009 11:00 AM

Jamison, Butler and Arenas will be icing their knees after every game having done 40 mins each. Even Jamison and Butler's yoga will not help.

Posted by: rickgonz | August 6, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt Hughes has any regrets about leaving the Wizards. It's not like the team would have won a title had he stayed. he went chasing the money and he caught it. Staying in D.C. wouldn't have forestalled the injuries or the decline in his game. The only thing that would have changed would be that the Wiz would be footing the bill for his rolling retirement.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"And Kalorama, poor boy, tsk, tsk, Haywood is not a week center. Like one blogger said, ask Lebron."

First of all, I'm not your boy. Second of all, being stronger than a SF isn't exactly a resume stuffer for a 7 foot C. Third, last I checked, the Cavs won that (and every other) series against the Wiz.

What else ya' got?

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"With Saunders' avowed intention of having an 8-9 man rotation, I'm afraid you and I will be disappointed."

Somebody here suggested Flip claiming that was for the purpose of motivating players to compete...looking at his last year with the Pistons, you can see where that might be the case.

10 guys appear in over 50 games. 12 players average over 12mins a night. Nobody played more than 33 minutes a night. Hardly looks like a 8 man rotation, and that team won 59 games.

Sure there is an 8-9 man rotation on a given night. But on a weekly/monthly basis clearly many more players are getting significant minutes.

Posted by: divi3 | August 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Brendan T. Haywood has been a class act since he arrived here. "

Of all the silly things you say on a daily basis, that is perhaps the silliest.

Haywood, for most of his tenure in D.C., has bean an underachieving loafer and malingerer who routinely half-assed his way through games. He had one not quite below average season and people are rushing to anoint his head with oil and wash his feet. Please.

Letting your team down with lax effort because your feelings are hurt, or sitting on the bench openly exulting in the failure of one of your teammates (and by extension, the team) on court while the game is in progress is a far cry from "class act."

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Having an 8-man rotation doesn't mean that only 8 guys will play all season. It simply means that only 8 guys will be penciled in for regular PT/roles at any one time. As the season roles on, the actual players in the mix may change, with some guys dropping out of the rotation and some guys moving in. And even with that, other guys will get minutes on an ad hoc basis, depending on injury, blowouts, and the occasional matchup issue.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

20-Zydrunas Ilgauskas
21-Nene
22-Andris Biedrins
23-Eddy Curry
24-Ben Wallace

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Quote: "By the way, Tapscott did a fairly good job of getting the younger guys on the court last year."

Samson, compared to what? Similarly situated teams? Similar atheletes? A player's potential? What is the coach trying to accomplish?

BTW, you're a stickler on the PER stat, but you use minutes per game without regard to consistentcy (McGuire starting 56 games) or the number of games played (McGee being benched for the entire game for no real reason).

Posted by: Izman | August 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I quess bright people never listen to the Wizards post game show on the way home from games.

I caught two different Larry Hughes interviews over the years where he was openly bemoaning leaving the Wiz. One while he was on the Cav's, and another while he was in Chicago.

I bet he really changed his tune and just loves his role with the Knicks...
GM

19-Lamarcus Aldridge
20-Zydrunas Ilgauskas
21-Nene
22-Andris Biedrins
23-Eddy Curry
24-Ben Wallace

I love the Wizards as much as the next man...but this list means you're either heavily on medication right now...or you need to be. Immediately.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"you use minutes per game without regard to consistentcy (McGuire starting 56 games) or the number of games played (McGee being benched for the entire game for no real reason).Posted by: Izman"

I just made the one point that Tapscott did a pretty good job getting the younger guys on the court. He did, with the arguable exception of McGee. Wasn't doing a sophisticated analysis of its impact, just the simple fact.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

" love the Wizards as much as the next man...but this list means you're either heavily on medication right now...or you need to be. Immediately.Posted by: SDMDTSU"

That list does seem to over-rate our Brendan.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Haywood for Okafor any day. Possibly for Chandler, and most definitely for Bogut, Okur or Oden. Also possibly for Aldridge.

This season, I would trade him (if the money worked even) for Shaq or Z, just so that McGee could have a decent mentor.

Posted by: Blurred | August 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

That list does seem to over-rate our Brendan.

LOL reading the list from top to bottom...I got to 10 and was like...Er?
It's like find the C that doesn't belong.
Then top have Nene and Biedrins that low? Wow.

However, I do think Brendan is more than adequate and has shown improvement in the last couple of years.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"I caught two different Larry Hughes interviews over the years where he was openly bemoaning leaving the Wiz."

He was bemoaning his role being buried on the bench because he was under performing. But the fact remains he left for the money. He got the money. If he's so unhappy with the way things ended up, he could easily offer to give the money back and sign with the Wiz for the vet minimum. I don't see him around here, do you?

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Haywood is not better than Shaq. Ben Wallace played mostly at PF last season (when he played at all), doesn't have a contract with any team, could be out of the NBA next season. Aldridge is not a C (but he's still better than Haywood). Names conspicuously absent from the list (all of whom rank above Haywood): Pryzbilla, Perkins, Horford, Miller (and that's not even counting all of the names below Haywood on the list who should be above him).

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Roles have to be considered too. Take Okur. Guy scores more and better than Haywood will ever be able to, no doubt and that cant be ignored.

But Okur is also a cement-shoed oaf who cant play defense, block shots, or rotate to cover teamates lack of D.

On a team like the wiz with so many offensive weapons, would Okur (for instance) improve us over Haywood? I dont think so.

Haywood isnt a top10 center overall in the league...but how about defensively?

Posted by: divi3 | August 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Shaq would be a good mentor for McGee at all. They are nothing alike.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

All I meant as a mentor was to teach him toughness and how to be a champion...not teach him footwork or anything.

Point taken about Okur. I just like him better, but he would not help this team much.

Posted by: Blurred | August 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

So why'd he do it? I'm going with the explanation you've heard here before: he wanted his own man, and saw a chance to remove the principal obstacle to that goal. - Samson
____

First, you said two problems with my version and then really only stated one - that Jordan had not really 'lost' the team. Well, I never said he lost the entire team, but it's clear he lost Haywood and Blatche. I am willing to bet they are not the only ones though. Just the only ones to say anything publicly. And, maybe not for any personal issues, I think even the players on his side started thinking he had taken this team as far as he was going to and it was time for a change (that is just my personal gut feeling). And, EG wanted to do it before even last season, but EJ's performance was *good enough* that he really couldn't before although I contend his performance was never top notch and obviously EG agrees with that notion. There were a couple of very telling situations that EJ really screwed up in EG's eyes: 1 The Haywood benching then having to go to Haywood's home that summer at the behest of EG to mend things (know whose side EG was on there). 2 The Tom Tib debacle where it was obvious EG was telling EJ he needed to improve the defense and I think this guy will do it and EJ apparently didn't exactly have the welcome mat out and TT got out as quickly as he came. Then TT went on to turn Boston into the best defensive team in the league and we settled for Ayers who did nothing of note to improve our defense.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Oddjob,

I think your list is in the ballpark. I think Haywood is in the 10-12 range at center. You put out a list and detractors are sure to follow. By the way, Nene and Biedrins are way too far down the list, especially Nene. He is working his way towards a top ten spot with a tad more seasoning.

And to whomever said MN has a big Slavic population,

What? I live in Minneapolis now and there is no well-know large Slavic population. There is a large Somalian population, which I've never figured out how that happened. And, there is a large Nordic population or heritage, but no Slavic/Russian population unless he moves his entire family here...lol.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721 - Didn't know you were in Minny...not sure if you've done it before...but what do you think about Foye?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"First, you said two problems with my version and then really only stated one - that Jordan had not really 'lost' the team"

The two problems would be 1) I didn't agree that Jordan lost the team, and 2) if Grunfeld believed he had, he should have acted before the season started.

"Well, I never said he lost the entire team, but it's clear he lost Haywood and Blatche"

You said, "or enough of the it". I don't agree with that. I think he acted for other reasons.

"(that is just my personal gut feeling). "

My personal gut feeling is hunger. A burger would be good. Holy cow, did I miss lunch?

"The Haywood benching then having to go to Haywood's home that summer at the behest of EG to mend things (know whose side EG was on there)."

Outside of its dramatic value, booboo lips like that happen all the time in the life of a team.

"And, EG wanted to do it before even last season, but EJ's performance was *good enough* that he really couldn't before although I contend his performance was never top notch and obviously EG agrees with that notion."

Jordan was not Grunfeld's hire and that wsa the root of the problem (as it would be for many GMs). If the team's performance was unsatisfactory in Grunfeld's eyes, then he should have fired Jordan before the season started, or at the end of the previous season, so he could have replaced him with someone better, instead of Tapscott. That's just good management.

"2 The Tom Tib debacle where it was obvious EG was telling EJ he needed to improve the defense and I think this guy will do it and EJ apparently didn't exactly have the welcome mat out and TT got out as quickly as he came"

This sounds like speculation.

"Then TT went on to turn Boston into the best defensive team in the league and we settled for Ayers who did nothing of note to improve our defense."

I think Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo had something to do with the defensive improvement in Boston.

"And, your second paragraph is really restating what I said. That the start to the season was the opening he was looking for to get rid of EJ and get his man."

And that bungled move by Ernie Grunfeld pushed the team into an even worse performance under a caretaker coach.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"What? I live in Minneapolis now and there is no well-know large Slavic population. There is a large Somalian population, which I've never figured out how that happened." posted by rphilli

They came for the same reason as the Hmong -- refugees from strife and poverty -- but settled mainly in Minneapolis while the Laotians went to St. Paul. The original Somalis were from refugee camps but the bulk of those who followed arrived because of the attraction of a Somali community and lots of unskilled jobs. The Twin Cities are reknowned for their social services and that encouraged immigration as well.

There are now about 30,000-plus Hmong in the Cities, and probably a comparable number of muslim Somalis. You can drive along Lake Street (after they've repaired the potholes, of course) and check out dozens and dozens of Somali businesses.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"There were a couple of very telling situations that EJ really screwed up in EG's eyes: 1 The Haywood benching then having to go to Haywood's home that summer at the behest of EG to mend things (know whose side EG was on there). 2 The Tom Tib debacle where it was obvious EG was telling EJ he needed to improve the defense and I think this guy will do it and EJ apparently didn't exactly have the welcome mat out and TT got out as quickly as he came."

That was certainly a debacle, but it was Grunfeld's debacle, not Jordan's.

Again, it was reported from the outset that Jordan and Grunfeld had a rocky working relationship, in part a result of the fact that Jordan was not Grunfeld's choice. Bringing in Thibadeau, a guy with a lot of buzz surrounding him as the next big coaching thing, to look over Jordan's shoulder was certainly a message. But the message wasn't "you need to improve the defense." The message was, "take a good look at the next head coach of the Wizards."

Jordan's not stupid. He knew what was going on. Of course he didn't welcome Thibadeau with open arms. Would you throw a party for the guy being brought in to put you out of a job? No doubt Grunfeld was hoping that by putting the pressure on, Jordan would get so fed up he'd walk. But the plan backfired. Thibadeau realized he was being used, basically, as a pawn in the Jordan/Grunfeld pissing match, decided he didn't want to be caught in the middle, and took a walk. (As I recall, in an interview after he pulled out, he was quoted as saying that there was a bad vibe (or something to that effect) going on with the Wiz that he didn't like.) Smart move on his part. But the fault for that mess can't be laid on Jordan.

If Grunfeld (A) didn't like the job Jordan was doing as coach and/or (B) thought Thibadeau could do a better one, then he should have manned up, canned EJ, and turned the keys over to Thibadeau. But because he tried to play play it clever, he only managed to increase the tension and bad blood wafting down from the front office, further undermining the harmony of the team and organization.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

The basic idea is the same between our posts. EG and Jordan were in a pissing match and EJ was going to lose eventually. I think saying EG was setting TT up to be the next coach is more speculation than I am willing to commit too. If he was that enamored with TT as possible head coach, why did he not pursue him now? Not to mention the fact that as a head coach I think TT would be a horrible fit for this team. I took it as a message to EJ that he was doing nothing on defense and EG wanted this guy to improve it and EJ took exception to it. Much like EJ was not EG's guy, TT was not EJ's guy. And, yeah, I would have gotten out of the way of that mess too if I were TT.

Samson,

Well, your point number two I don't get because I made no comment as to whether he should have done so before the season. That was your addition, which your entitled to. Like I said, I think the start of that season gave him his opening to defend firing EJ publicly. Not like that's a new approach in the world of sports. Coach is on the hot seat with his GM and when the moment arises like a 2-15 start, he's gone. Very simple. It's not bc EG expected the team in the shape it was in to be that much better. It was just the excuse he was looking for.

Who cares if there was a caretaker coach? You act like that ruined the season and it was some complete mismanagement. The writing was on the wall last season and it had nothing to do with management and coaching and everything to do with injuries. Would you have rather he let EJ coach the entire season as a lame duck?

And, thanks for stating the obvious that Boston has the horses to be good defensively. Still does not mean that TT did not play a role in their success and is not a top notch defensive assistant. Perhaps, the best one in the league still and I'm pretty sure he would have improved our defense. How much? We'll never know.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I think saying EG was setting TT up to be the next coach is more speculation than I am willing to commit too."

As opposed to the speculation in your post that you were willing to commit to?

Of course it's speculation. Any discussion of events we don't witness personally and don't have document first hand recordings of is inherently speculative. But given the events that have been documented (e.g., Pollin's unorthodox decision to hire the coach before the GM, the frequently reported stories of tension in the Jordan/Grunfeld relationship, Thibadeau's quick exit and his parting comments, the fact that Grunfeld dragged his heels for as long as he could when it came time to extend/pick up the option year on Jordan's contract, the fact that Grunfeld canned Jordan as soon as a publicly face-saving excuse to do so arose), I think it's speculation supported by the information at hand.

"If he was that enamored with TT as possible head coach, why did he not pursue him now? "

(A) I never said he was "enamored" of Thibadeau, but the fact that he tried to hire the guy is prima facie proof that wanted him on the team, something that couldn't be said of Jordan (B) After getting jerked around the last time, do you actually think Thibadeau would want to come back and work for the guy who was yanking the strings (B) Saunders is more proven as a head coach and a safer bet for a team that needs to make something happen sooner rather than later.

"Not to mention the fact that as a head coach I think TT would be a horrible fit for this team."

Based on what? His extensive head coaching resume? You can't know what kind of head coach he is because he's never been one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 6, 2009 1:48 PM
______

Yeah, man. Good old Minneapolis, but can't wait to get back to DC. Anyway, yeah, I guess I have more exposure to T'Wolves by default. Not that I follow them that intently. My take is that he is in the DS mold (healthy DS). Not as big, but a rugged grinder on defense. He actually likes playing defense. On offense, he is the classic tweener or combo guard. He shoots fairly well, but not great. He can mix it up and hit open shots, pull-ups, and get to the rim with a good handle. Much like DS he is not exceptional at getting his own shot, but has improved there. Good basketball IQ. Sorry kind of rambling description, but the good thing too is he is a player that improves every year.

So, smaller version of a healthy DS with a better handle and play making ability and still improving. Plays with a lot of guts as they say. Probably making Samson hungry again...lol.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

I said *more* speculation than willing to commit to. Virtually everything in here is opinions and speculation on some level. But, there was no evidence whatsoever that suggested EG had ideas of making TT head coach eventually unless I missed somebodies comments along the way. Nothing in your list of factual events suggests it either. We do know EJ had a problem with it, which led to TT getting out. I really didn't speculate much at all except to point out that was part of EJ's demise, and, perhaps, the very beginning of it.

I would think TT to be a horrible fit for this team bc he is a defensive minded coach and we are not a defensive team and he is unproven as a head coach when we are in "win now" mode. Thought that would be fairly agreeable and obvious. I think he would have been a great assistant as we could use all the help we can get defensively. But, yeah, if you want to go the anything is possible route, sure he could be a great fit for this team, but I don't think you really believe that either. I think Flip was the best possible selection and a proven commodity.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"A) Ok, well if he wanted to hire him and as you speculate had ideas of making him head coach, I think that qualifies as being enamored with him or liking him or whatever you want to call it."

Was he interested in him as a possible coach? Yes. But "enamored" implies a good deal more than simple interest.

"B) I don't see why TT would have any problem becoming a head coach here. The guy that wanted him is still here and the guy that didn't is gone."

And the guy who hired him is the same guy who didn't deal straight with him, hiring him to undercut the then current head coach and try to force him out. Being jerked around like that does not tend to foster trust. And, again, his parting comments after he pulled out of the job gave a less than admiring impression regarding how the organization was operating under Grunfeld. He left thinking (correctly) that it was a dysfunctional organization. Why would he want to come back to that?

"I would think TT to be a horrible fit for this team bc he is a defensive minded coach and we are not a defensive team and he is unproven as a head coach when we are in "win now" mode."

Just because he has a rep as a defensive coach doesn't mean he can't coach offense (or that he can't hire assistants to handle that role). Talk about speculation. Assistant coaches are known for certain roles because that's the purpose of assistant coaches, to handle defined tasks. That says nothing about how he'd handle the larger (and much different) role of head coach. We have no idea what kind of "fit" he'd be as head coach, here or elsewhere, because there's nothing on which to based such an opinion. (By way of example, Jim O'Brien was also know as a defensive coach when he was an assistant, but upon taking over the Pacers, the first thing he did was install an uptempo offense that better suited the team's personnel.) Now, if your point is that he'd be unable to adapt his assistant's mindset to the role of head coach, then yeah he'd be a bad fit. Not just here, but anywhere. (But I'm pretty sure that wasn't your point.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 6, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I must be bored today! Thought it would be fun to say who you would take on this list over Haywood on the Wiz. In other words who is a better "fit" for the team or just flat out better period.

1-Dwight Howard - Of course.
2-Tim Duncan - Of course.
3-Yao Ming - Hmmm...when does he ever play, but probably. And not for this season...lol.
4-Amare Stoudemire - Probably, but man we would got from bad on defense to putrid and adding another wacky personality with injury problems...you know, I don't think I would.
5-Marcus Camby - No, based on age and we would go from small to smaller.
6-Al Jefferson - Hmm, yeah, but he is not even really a center. Nice post player though.
7-Pau Gasol - Yeah, but again, we got zero defense now.
8-Where's 8?
9-Brenden Haywood
10-Emeka Okafor - No
11-Tyson Chandler - No
12-Rasheed Wallace - Close, but old and does not bring it every night. More talented for sure, but Haywood is the safer bet now.
13-Greg Oden - Not yet. He perplexes me.
14-Shaquille O'Neal - Hmmm...close...probably for just this season. Maybe not, we need 30 mins a night and I don't think he can do that anymore.
15-Andrew Bynum - Probably would. Injuries are starting to pile up on him though.
16-Chris Kaman - No
17-Mehmet Okur - No
18-Andrew Bogut - No
19-Lamarcus Aldridge - Again, not a center, but a very nice player. Love to see him next to BH.
20-Zydrunas Ilgauskas - No
21-Nene - Yes, why is he down here?
22-Andris Biedrins - Hmmm, maybe, great rebounder except something bothers me about him and I'm not sure what it is. Missing a lot of intangibles is maybe it.
23-Eddy Curry - Hell no.
24-Ben Wallace - Hell no.

That's my take!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

I don't recall those comments from TT, but if that's the case your probably right.

But, as far as TT being a good fit for the Wiz, I never said he couldn't coach offense. Your right in that we have no track record of him as a head coach or as an offensive coach for that matter. We do know that he is a damn good defensive coach. So, based upon the known, and not the world of possibilities, he would seem to be better suited philosophically to be the head coach of say the Detroit Pistons. But, per usual, your speculations are right and everyone else is wrong or in this case your actually just debating semantics or possibilities without putting forth an opinion. Anything is possible, but probable, don't think so in this instance.

Would you hire him as coach of the Wiz?

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 6, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"You've typed that a dozen times over the course of the last few years but what damage has LH done anywhere else since he left? Are you implying that LH was the lynchpin and reason for our first round advance? Please go back and look at the stats in that series.

Posted by: original_mark | August 6, 2009 8:30 AM "

The bottom line is that Les BouleS have not sniffed 2nd round since LH left.

And, Les BouleS also "overpaid" for LH, but LH left for the Cavs instead.

Les BouleS have a tradition of overpaying players who turn out to be busts that they need to trade out of town.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 6, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I think a lot of you forget this is a team game. I think if Brendan was playing on a better defensive minded team then he would not get some of the silly fouls that he gets and could focus better on defending his man. The fact of the matter is that Arenas is a horrible defender and Antawn may be worse. Brendan is constantly having to slide off his man to cover up others mistakes which results in either his man getting an easy basket or him getting a foul and then he is yelled at by someone. I guarantee there are plenty of clubs that would like Haywood's services and Grunfeld knows how valuable Haywood is to the success of the Wizards. Haywood is never going to put up Duncan numbers but for a team that has plenty of offense, I think Brendan is a good fit and is a very good defender when he puts out 100% effort.

Posted by: matpat | August 7, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Brendan is a decent defender but he miss some scoring opportunities. The other sad part is he plays beside Jamison who plays no D and refuses to do nothing more than stand under the basket waiting for a rebound while his man go up, over, around and setup his teammates for dunks. Also when was the last time Jamison passed the ball. He jacks up more 3's than any PF in the league. That's got to be frustrating to Brendan. Jamison gets his double double and Brendan gets the blame. That's why the Wiz need a real PF (Blatche, McGee or Orberto) playing beside him. Hopefully Flip realizes this and bring Jamison off the bench.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | August 7, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Your right about the MN post. I was being more flippant than anything when I said "don't know how that happened", but your determined to nitpick at this point for whatever reason. To prove your manhood I suppose.Posted by: rphilli721"

What? I just provided an answer to a question. You're way too sensitive, IMO.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 7, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

On the Ed Jordan firing: bad management decisions adversely affect outcomes. I'm contending that no matter why he wanted to get rid of Jordan, he picked a lousy time to do it. Maybe Grunfeld was afraid if he let Jordan stay, the club might have improved and he'd be stuck with him again.

Either way, it was a bad decision by a good general manager, which is cause for suspicion. So your original statement, philli, that it was a good decision borne out by events, is IMO wrong.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 7, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Samson,

Duly noted. Thanks for the MN answer and we'll have to agree to disagree about the EJ firing and if it was a lousy time to do it. A 2-15 start to the season to me is a perfect time to do it. It was a throw away season from the start due to injuries to GA/BH and firing EJ then, before, or later was not going to change a thing about the season. Plus, it's not like EJ had a solid reputation of developing young talent, which is what the season turned into. Quite frankly, I think it was another weakness of his. Now we have a coach that is better in every way than EJ and makes his firing even more justified, IMO.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 7, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matpat | August 7, 2009 11:26 AM
________

Yeah, I think your post is correct except I don't see where BH gets "yelled" at too much or is underappreciated. I think if anything his stock for this team is at an all time high ironically bc of his absence last season. Everyone saw what a glaring hole in the middle we had without him. And, guys like Jamison, bemoaned the loss of Haywood as being a critical blow to the teams defense partly bc Jamison knows that he had his back and was also the defensive "quarterback".

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"But, per usual, your speculations are right and everyone else is wrong or in this case your actually just debating semantics or possibilities without putting forth an opinion."

As usual, you resort to dismissing any argument you can't directly refute as semantics. As for my not "putting forth an opinion . . ." bulls*$t. I've made my opinion on this subject quite clear, multiple times in fact. But rather than counter that opinion with one of your own, based in any kind of facts or reason, you try to derail the discussion by hurling accusations. of course, the hilarious part is that you try to deride my opinions as "speculation" while pretending that your equally obvious speculations carry the weight of truth.

Or, to put it more succinctly, as usual, you're full of sh*t.

(BTW, since you clearly failed to grasp it the first 4 or 5 times, my opinion is that there is no evidence to support your contention that Thibadeau would be a bad fit as Wizards coach. None. Simply because there's no evidence to suggest what kind of head coach he'd be period. None. Any attempt on your part to claim otherwise is . . . pure speculation.

Ironic, no?

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Kal is getting upset and hurling expletives. Nice touch. If Michael were to put a instant poll at the top of a thread before we hired Flip Saunders that asked, "do you think TT would be a good fit as head coach of the Washington Wiz?" I think the response for "no" would probably be in the 90% range bc what we do know would make that a reasonable assumption to most people. Just not you apparently.

And that comment arose bc you brought up a theory that you pulled out of thin air that EG was using TT as a potential soon to be replacement head coach for EJ. Absolute hogwash! There is no evidence of that anywhere unless of course you can read EG's mind.

Finally, you give an opinion by way of not giving an opinion or just debating what you think is wrong with someone else's opinion.

Question: do you think TT would be a good "fit" as head coach of the Wiz?

Kal, "My opinion is that there is no evidence to support your contention that Thibadeau would be a bad fit as Wizards coach. None. Simply because there's no evidence to suggest what kind of head coach he'd be period. None. Any attempt on your part to claim otherwise is . . . pure speculation."

Way to go out on a limb Kal by giving a non-answer answer. I didn't catch a yes or no in there? Expect nothing less from you. If your not a politician, you should be.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 7, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

By the way, "any attempt on my part to claim otherwise" is called an opinion that I put out there and a very reasonable one at that. You don't like it, I could care less. You are even entitled to your completely fabricated theory that EG was setting up TT to be the next head coach. I have to admit it's nothing if not original and slightly entertaining.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 7, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou | August 6, 2009 1:47 AM "

And that's b/c EG has drafted and recruited so poorly.

BTW, Les BouleS have yet to sniff 2nd round since LH left.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 6, 2009 2:51 AM
____

Yeah, he also had 3 all-stars on the team too and it was when the East was as weak as a conference can be. That aside, he did not develop what he had that well either.

As far as the stupid EG criticism is concerned, that was the beginning of his tenure here and he was still building a complete team. You don't change the fortunes of a franchise in a season or two, but that is too complex for you to understand DCMAN, I know.

Now, we are one of the deeper teams in the league with a couple of wild card talents away from being super good now and for the forseeable future, with a coach that is much better than EJ.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 8, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse