Oberto Intro, Arenas Update

Fabricio Oberto had just completed his introduction with the Washington Wizards, when he lifted his No. 21 jersey for a photograph. Ernie Grunfeld asked reporters if any of them knew how to pronounce his name. After one got it right, Oberto smiled, flashing a shiny silver tooth, and asked in a thick Spanish accent, "What about my full name?"

Oberto then turned to Grunfeld and smoothly said his name: "Fabricio Raul Jesus Oberrrrto."

Wizards Coach Flip Saunders, who was standing next to Oberto, then joked, "I just call him Fab."

No matter what name Oberto goes by during his time in Washington, on the day he was introduced, Grunfeld called the 6-foot-10, 245-pound big man the final piece to an offseason puzzle that has involved the hiring of a new coach (Flip Saunders), and a trade for two proven veterans (Randy Foye and Mike Miller).

But even with the steady development of young big men such as Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee, the Wizards still felt the need to add a veteran with championship experience. The 34-year-old Oberto provides both, having won a championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2007 and a gold medal with Argentina at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

The Wizards began their pursuit of Oberto immediately after the Detroit Pistons released him, following a three-team trade in June that sent Richard Jefferson to the Spurs. Oberto was home in Argentina at the time of the trade, recovering from a heart procedure that was performed earlier in the month. Oberto said he told his agent, Herb Rudoy, that he just wanted to go somewhere that wanted him.

"From the first moment, I was in the trade, Washington was interested in me. I was honored for that," Oberto said. "I mean it's like a new era for me."

Oberto committed to the Wizards almost three weeks ago and signed on Tuesday. He said he is willing to play whatever roll Flip Saunders has for him. "I like to see what is missing on a team and help that part," Oberto said. "If I got to play D and I don't take a shot for 10 games, I'll do it."

... Saunders said during the press conference that he visited with Gilbert Arenas last week in Chicago, where Arenas has been rehabbing with Tim Grover at Attack Athletics gym. "He's worked really hard," Saunders said of Arenas. "The strength in his leg, that's been operated on has been off the charts. He's played. Everybody knows that he's kind of a workaholic when it comes to basketball. He says he's averaging 44 points a game in the Chicago Pro Am. So he's got his scoring touch back. He's getting his confidence back. I think he's excited about where he's at. He looks good. Weight is lower. And I think he's anxious for training camp. And I think he feels he's got some things to prove because he hasn't played in the last year and a half. He's ready to go."

By Michael Lee |  August 12, 2009; 4:01 PM ET
Previous: Oberto Signs, Finally | Next: Flip on Gilbert, Wizards, Summer Mingling

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

yop, I just read that same report on yahoo sports.

It sounds promising, but at the same time what should we expect Saunders to say, "He looks pretty damn bad out there. I don't know if he'll ever return to old form."?

With Grunfeld sitting right there beside him?

At the end of October when the season starts, we'll see if it's bs smoke or real talk.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:05 PM

If he is scoring 44 points on one bad leg, then I think we'll be fine

And I love The Breeze's attitude about doing what is asked of him no matter what.

GO WIZARDS

Posted by: BurgwithaU | August 12, 2009 4:21 PM

Fabreezio!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | August 12, 2009 4:22 PM

"If I got to play D and I don't take a shot for 10 games, I'll do it."

He sounds just like Pech!

Posted by: lameotron | August 12, 2009 4:42 PM

yop, I just read that same report on yahoo sports.

With Grunfeld sitting right there beside him?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:05 PM

People have been begging for Gil Arenas updates and when we get one you and others will spin it, your right, he's prob 250 and slow, playing on one good leg averaging 44 against 5th graders.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 12, 2009 4:48 PM

for what it's worth:

Mike Jones talked to Flip Saunders and asked about Gilbert Arenas. Saunders said Arenas is doing very well with renown trainer Tim Grover in Chicago. Here are the key nuggets.

-Arenas is playing five-on-five pickup games every week with Dwyane Wade and OJ Mayo, among others. Flip dismissed worries that this may be too much activity, claiming that "Tim's in control."

-Saunders says Arenas could only reverse leg press 75 pounds on his left leg when he first arrived in Chicago. Now, Saunders says Arenas can do 315 pounds. What?

-Saunders and Arenas are talking daily about coaching philosophies, and sources close to Arenas say the two are "hitting it off"

Posted by: divi3 | August 12, 2009 4:50 PM

"If I got to play D and I don't take a shot for 10 games, I'll do it."

He sounds just like Pech!

Posted by: lameotron | August 12, 2009 4:42 PM

But we know he's not Pech, he's far more accomplished and for him to make a statement like this speaks to why EG and FS are excited to have him on our team, totally selfless, putting team before himself.

Maybe his selflessness will rub off on others and if so this could be a very interesting year.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 12, 2009 4:54 PM

Any assists?

Posted by: djnnnou | August 12, 2009 5:03 PM

for what it's worth:

Posted by: divi3 | August 12, 2009 4:50 PM

Wow, this is exciting news divi3, I can't wait for the season to start.

When EJ was 1st fired I was very disappointed but I really like FS and I now see that it was time to make a change in leadership. I wish EJ all the luck in the world in Philly but it was time, it will be interesting when the two teams match up.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 12, 2009 5:04 PM

Andre Iguodala just said on his twitter that Gil is "back like he left his black card"

Posted by: PVGtownAz | August 12, 2009 5:04 PM

Maybe Gil's injury will have been a blessing in disguise? Sitting and watching his team without him showed him what he's needs to do to be a leader.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 12, 2009 5:17 PM

Posted by: PVGtownAz | August 12, 2009 5:04 PM

Hilarious! And the best Gil news yet

Posted by: divi3 | August 12, 2009 5:30 PM

Oberto was brought here for one reason. To mix it up with McGee and Blatche in practice. He's been tangling with the best in the West for years and he's been that guy that keeps teams from roughing up Duncan.

And he's done a darned good job of doing the dirty work. The guy is a bigger, stronger version of Songaila, but he's actually big enough to put in the post. But like Darius he's going to play the game the right way down low.

If you really look at the time table of Gil's injury, Microfracture, and recovery it's not that far off of the other more recent Microfracture guys. Gil could have just spared us all of the missteps.

From the last post: There's a couple of guys that have DC/MD/VA connections that could be excellent big men coaches. Moses Malone, if he's finally retired, the man was one of the hardest working guys down low I've seen. Adrian Dantley, one of the league's most effective "little" big men. Loved him when he was here doing post game. He's working in Utah now, he's got to have a tough minded approach to sit with Sloan.

Mourning may be too rich and too young to work as an NBA assistant, but he's another guy that could coach if that's the direction he wants to go.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 12, 2009 5:37 PM

fabricio oberto is not exactly a difficult name to pronounce (and it's certainly easier to pronounce than antawn and javale). how it rises even to the level of lame joke is beside me.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | August 12, 2009 5:41 PM

Oberto then turned to Grunfeld and smoothly said his name: "Fabricio Raul Jesus Oberto."

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 12, 2009 5:49 PM

'Looks like Flip is a bigot and a racist joking that people can't pronounce hispanic names.'

Good to see you are hating Flip before he's coached a single game for us. When he wins 50 this year, at least you'll have the racist card to fall back on!

Posted by: divi3 | August 12, 2009 5:56 PM

crickets on the name joke comment.

Now, count me as a fan of any player who is saying...

For all the wishful thinking about pursuing high priced players to play Oberto's new role, I think it is becoming clear why Oberto fits perfectly. I just hope we have enough playing time for him. Join me in cheering for Oberto when we attend games. That brings up a seldom mentioned point; MJ and Collins were not the only ones who ruined Kwame. The fans who booed every time he made a minor mistake are equally to blame. Some of them were ruthless and that destroys a young player's initiative. Not that Oberto is young, but he should be appreciated for playing a role here.

Anyone negative about this roster has got to consider medication. It may or may not be ready for Conference Finals, but the opportunity is at least there.

Both stars and role players are needed to win a championship. We got all the bases covered to make a run.

Personal attendee of three Bullets' Championship Series.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 12, 2009 6:20 PM

i live in chi-town and i had a chance to watch pick up game today that included KINGJAMES-DWADE- OJ MAYO- GILBERT- WILL BYNUM-A WALKER-and it shocked me becuz i went there to see the KING and GILBERT AKA AGENT 0 was by far the best player there he made paul davis and AI from philly look like gods ...i witness it myself he drove pass everybody like they were not in the gym if he was gettn fouled he scored everytime the refs had to put a foul rule in becuz they were just fouling he so he couldnt score his team was 8-0 GILBERT OJ MAYO-PAUL DAVIS AI FROM PHILLY AND A NOBODY WENT UNDEFEATED other two teams..LABRON- DWADE-LUTHERHEAD -WILL BYNUM-A WALKER... 3rd team..SBROWN FROM LAKERS-QRICHARDSON-BONZIE WELLS-LITTLE PARGO-and a ROOKIE...so it was great coop..I also heard about GILBERT in the pro-am i didnt get to watch the games but i did here the games he played he scored 52-38 39 47 and he came at half time and scored 38...the only reason im commenting is becuz a reporter ask if he would speak on his play and he said...the media my friends the city of DC gave up on me and thinks im done...so let them think it...and labron said i know whos in the race for MVP next season ill see yall in the playoffs

Posted by: MrNoOne | August 12, 2009 6:56 PM

MrNoOne, I really don't mean to discount your post. I don't know you and you could very damn well be telling the truth. I hope what you posted about Arenas is true, but until I see, or hear it reported from a substantial media outlet, then I have to take it with very little to no credence at all.

Sorry.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 7:13 PM

This Les BouleS overhype is probably another tactic to get gullible season ticket holders to renew before revealing that 1/2 the team is out with either a knee injury, a dislocated clavicle, a ruptured spleen, or a twisted pinky toe.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 12, 2009 7:15 PM

Dig this on the Les Boules issue...!!!

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 12, 2009 7:48 PM

Good call Ragtop
We need more Positivity.
That looked a little like O Pech.

Posted by: VBFan | August 12, 2009 8:35 PM

i didnt come on here to make u a believer i just heard the new coach flip talk about Gilbert today and wanted to add becuz i did see his play today..and its sad what gilbert said to the reporter was right..when ur a fan u dont disbelieve in ur players but DC dont believe in me anymore so why comment ...and reading u guys comments he was right...GO CAVS even tho we hate the wiz we respect yours players well not dullsteveson...

Posted by: MrNoOne | August 12, 2009 9:01 PM

Getting giddy hearing some good news about Gil. There's been so much negative news over the last year with the setbacks. I hope he comes back better than ever this season.

Being a Bullets/Wizards fan since I was a kid in the 80s, it's always hard to generate optimism.

Posted by: manifested | August 12, 2009 9:44 PM

MrNoOne thanks for the update. You have to understand that this is the internet & any1 can post anything about anything but I believe, the kool aid is sweet indeed.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 12, 2009 10:43 PM

Once and a while I feel the need to say a few words to all you people that call yourselves wizards fans. I am so tired of all the negative post on here Ive seen over the last few years. Im calling you all out right now! That damn arena better become one of the loudest places in the league. Last year is gone, losing is gone, Abe and Management in the past have made questionable calls (trading Webber) however they have now spent the money and put a Very Good team together. You better show Gilbert Love, he has worked his butt off to get back, only to have some of you talk about him like he had something to do with getting hurt. All reports out of Chicago is AgentO is Back to being a dominant presence on the court. Im tired of you people putting down Jamison, the man brings it every night! You people disrespect the captain by calling him Metawn, some of you deserve to have a losing team because you have or display no loyalty. You talk about Blatche like the 22 year old kid should be an All Star already, although he had a coach that treated his bigs like he had a Napolean complex. I issue a challenge to all you negative posters, Be A True Fan This Year and Cheer. Make some noise show that you appreciate the fact that they are not just sitting at home, enjoying life, but each of these guys has been putting in work to be better. We have finally turned the corner, from having a losing mentality, I suggest you negative posters Get Onboard!!!!!

Posted by: 1truewizfan | August 13, 2009 2:15 AM

It's amazing how a few people posting on a blog can be seen as representing an entire fan base but it doesn't. I think most blog participants truly support the team and the players but the negative ones are remembered.

Now I'm not saying that people should be dissuaded from posting their feelings just because it differs from the masses, as a matter of fact it is necessary and sometimes the views of the minority are the correct ones.

The history of this franchise tends to leave us pessimistic and understandably so, but I'm a homer and an optimist so I seem to always see the glass half full when it comes to the home teams. I truly believe that this Wizards team is going to be special if we can stay reasonably healthy and I can't wait for training camp to start.

Posted by: zxhoya | August 13, 2009 4:11 AM

This is gonna be fun for a long suffering win-base.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | August 13, 2009 4:53 AM

Good good good...

Nothing bad in this post as far as news. I don't know that summer pro-am games are comparable to a real NBA game, but the fact that he is exploding by his opponents does not surprise me. What would be good to know or something I want to see is him exploding over an opponent or up to the rim. That is where his injuries would probably show up. But, hey, if comments from LeBron and Igoudala are correct, maybe he is going to be 100% the same player and, if not, better. Then, yeah, we will be in the contender mix for sure.

And, I don't put much stock in his dismissal of Washington DC fans, if indeed that is true. Sounds like a typical GA quirky comment/self-motivational technique. The old "I'll show'em" mentally, which is not a bad thing. Show us Gilbert! I would love nothing more.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | August 12, 2009 5:04 PM
_________

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 13, 2009 6:02 AM

"Ummm, someone want to translate this for me? lol Like he left a "black" credit cart somewhere? Thought that was a Platinum card? I'm so out of touch.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 13, 2009 6:02 AM "

Black card would be the black AMEX which carries an unlimited credit line and is exclusive to the rich and famous. I think you need to have a min spend rate of $250k/year to qualify.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 13, 2009 6:22 AM

"If this is true and Arenas is 100% the Wizards are legit, NBA title contenders. A true all-league point guard surrounded by the deepest team in the NBA.

This is gonna be fun for a long suffering win-base.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | August 13, 2009 4:53 AM "

Thanks for the posting Suze.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 13, 2009 6:24 AM

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 12, 2009 5:49 PM
_______

This may be my last comment or interaction with you bulletsfan78 as you get increasingly absurd with every post. Someone like yourself who calls the Jewish owner of the Washington Wiz "cheap" every chance he gets and you have the nerve to make this totally benign "nicknaming" I'll call it or a lame plastic press conference attempt at a joke into some sort of racial occurrence? Enough said. Your a complete knucklehead.

Crickets on the name joke comment.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 13, 2009 6:29 AM

Well thanks for the answer DCMANN. Makes sense. Thought it was something along those lines, but then again I don't have one so now I know why I did not know what it was.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 13, 2009 6:37 AM

Glad to see a hater-free blog for once. I've always believed Gil would come back at 100% of his previous self or better because of the Grover rehab.
While all of this is great news, it's not unexpected for me. The sobering news is that even with Gil being Gil, we need rebounding and interior defense. I think we have offense covered. Will anybody step up and play some D? I hope so.

50 wins
#2 seed
shake up the world
comeback player of the year.

Posted by: original_mark | August 13, 2009 7:17 AM

Let me say something. If Gilbert comes back with his leg strong, full of confidence, and a chip on his shoulder...WATCH OUT! He gained his name by playing with a grudge and if he feels like people have counted him out, that's even more motivation. This is going to be a fun year! Go Wiz!

Posted by: musicman65000 | August 13, 2009 7:19 AM

If keeping Gil playing with a chip on his shoulder is key to the Wizards season, Flip should just post a daily dose of 88'er on the locker room wall for Gil to read.

Just wondering, since most of the Gil news that's been leaking out is mostly from players like Iguodala and D. Wade, what is their motivation buying into Abe's evil plan to make Wiz fans feel good and buy season tickets?
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 13, 2009 8:55 AM

I think there is a pessimistic gloom that hangs over this franchise and much of it is well founded. There were years of total mismanagement and years where the franchise was struggling financially. And, there is the ever present curse Les Boulez coined by Mr. Tony Kornheiser, I do believe.

But, I believe there is much hope for this upcoming season especially if Arenas returns as the absolute beast that he can be (things are starting to point in that direction). With him back in the fold along with a top notch coach, a deeper bench, young athletic talent, and the core players entering their professional prime where skill and knowledge blend, I think this can be a great season. A season where we might not even have to resign ourselves to be a 4th seed or 5th seed. Why can't we be better than that? Curse the curse Les Boulez!!!!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 13, 2009 9:03 AM

I remember way back when I blogged that Gilbert was a legit NBA Superstar and he was ours, I was surprised that some discounted that.

I would not have thought that Gilbert also thought that this town had written him off.

I do believe though that Gilbert will come to know if the aforesaid is true that most of us in this town never wrote him off.

I am sure he will realize that the naysayer's opinions sometimes ring louder, but are almost never the opinion of us all.

Gilbert, I can't wait for you to Shut' Dem' Down'.

Thanks for the good news MrNoOne.

I have no reason to doubt what you said, especially since there HAVE BEEN NO OTHER REPORTS FROM CHICAGO INDICATING OTHERWISE!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 13, 2009 9:23 AM

When it comes to names, making an issue over the pronunciations is like a show of interest in the person sotospeak. It really dosen't even matter whether the name is even actually hard to pronouce atall.

And to Fabricio's credit he knows his name is not hard to pronouce and knew it was all in good taste about him. Flip knows this as well and thats why he said he would call him Fab.

That is showing an immediate personal liking to Fabricio by Flip.

There is nothing negative or derogatory in that news conference. Sometimes we extrapolate way to far about nothing atall.

LarryInClintonMD.

Why do you think I choose LarryInClintonMD as my blogger name? It creates inerest about oneself and you all have done the same.

So if I say Kalo for Kalo_rama or BF78 or 78 for BulletsFan78, of GM for Flortv as he likes and so on, it is all in good taste and not anything negative at all. 88 for DCMan88 and I am sure there are many others that are being used.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 13, 2009 9:43 AM

When I read that Gil showed up at the armory after Kitrina and dropped of $18k worth of stuff - just said here, take it -- and asked what else was needed, I became a fan. I wasn't involved, but I didn't forget it.

We all enjoyed Weber's run with Howard and Strickland. Now the fan's are praying to see Gil take a run at it with Caron and AJ.

Nobody I know gave up on Gil 'specially not AP.

Posted by: EWE1 | August 13, 2009 9:43 AM

Just to point out that Oberto came at a discount because the Pistons are paying $2M of his salary this season as the price to waive him. At full price on his unexpired contract with the Spurs he would have been owed $4M.

ragtop thanks for the "Negative Waves" link. I agree too many fans are in a perpetual funk spreading Negative Waves.

Posted by: rickgonz | August 13, 2009 10:00 AM

Posted by: 1truewizfan | August 13, 2009 2:15 AM

Exactly!! I get louder in my living room than fans do at Wiz games... smh

Posted by: HLwunlimited | August 13, 2009 10:17 AM

Larry

I know Flip isn't a bigot or a racist!

At least you understand (I was trying to show some people on here) that anything someone says can be misconstrued if you don't know the person who made the remark and/or their intention for the statement.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 13, 2009 10:33 AM

My thanks also to ragtop for the Oddball-on-positive-thinking link. Always found that character amusing. Things certainly look promising for this year, especially if these reports about Gil turn out to be accurate.

Because of the deep roster, some good players are going to have to get used to less pt, but I think Flip and winning will help enable everybody to accept it.

Posted by: 7snider7 | August 13, 2009 10:51 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone, including Oberto, knew that Flip was making a joke (the fact that Oberto specifically asked Grunfeld to pronounce his full name shows he was in on it and okay with it). So there were no misconstrued intentions there (just like there aren't any with the constant "cheap Abe" cracks).

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 13, 2009 12:37 PM

(just like there aren't any with the constant "cheap Abe" cracks).

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 13, 2009 12:37 PM

As usual you are wrong again?

When I make the "cracks" some people think it is about Abe personally, but I am only commenting about the way he runs the organization.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 13, 2009 1:46 PM

Will all the real Bullets/Wizards fan please stand up!!! LOL

I am and will always be a Bullets/Wizards fan. I don't allow that negative stuff in my presence as I watch the game. I have put plenty of people out of my house because of all those negative comments about the Wizards/Arenas. My friends laugh at me because I am a die hard fan and everyone that knows me already knows how I feel about my boys!!!!!

I can't wait till the season start!!!!
AGENT ZERO IS BACK!!!!!!

Posted by: la20782 | August 13, 2009 2:54 PM

GO SPURS GO...GO SPURS GO...SPURS MINUS OBERTO EQUALS CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Posted by: suicidal_chiz | August 15, 2009 12:04 PM

I have only ONE plea to Wizards 2009-10:

Oh please stay healthy; oh please stay healthy; oh please, oh please, oh PLEEEZE stay healthy!!!!!

Posted by: bpybay | August 15, 2009 5:10 PM

For further validation of MrNoOne's post, see:

For those afraid to click on the link, google "chicago pro am gilbert arenas." You'll find this link there.

Posted by: bpybay | August 15, 2009 5:38 PM