Stevenson Unplugged

Listen up! (Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

When you're talking with a guy who had the gumption to call LeBron James "overrated," you can expect that DeShawn Stevenson had a lot more to say than I could fit into Sunday's 20-inch feature story. Stevenson displayed a pretty decent attitude about the changes the Washington Wizards have made this summer, especially the talent influx at shooting guard. But he had a lot more to say about the state of the franchise, his role with the team and his rehabilitation.

Stevenson said that he thought the Wizards trade to acquire Mike Miller and Randy Foye "was good for us. It makes us deeper. It makes us a contender."

But he followed up that comment with the worst kept secret regarding the franchise -- the team will only be as good as its best player. "This whole team revolves around Gilbert Arenas. Everybody knows it. Nobody wants to say it, but I'm going to say it," Stevenson said. "I've been on this team four years -- it depends on Gilbert Arenas. We can make as many trades as we want to. When he's healthy and he's playing, we're a dangerous team. When we don't have him, it makes it harder to move the ball; it's hard to get things easy. That's my point of view. If Gilbert is 70 percent, we're going win a lot of games. If Gilbert is 80 percent, we're going to be No. 1 in the East. If he's 100 percent, we might win a championship."

He continued: "If he's 70 percent, we're still going to be good. But we need him on the court. It's all on Gilbert. I don't want to put pressure on him, because that's my boy. I look at him as a best friend, brother. But it's not pressure to him, because I know what he can do. If he's healthy, it doesn't matter what team we have."

Although Stevenson said that he planned on competing for his starting shooting guard position, he also understands that the recent trade, and the development of the Wizards' young players, like Nick Young, Javaris Crittenton and Dominic McGuire could leave him squeezed out of minutes. "If the Wizards feel like they are going in a different direction, that's what they are doing. DeShawn is going to be him. I'm going to go out there and work my butt off. I don't take it as nothing," he said. "If I don't step my game up, it's 29 other teams that know what I can do."

Stevenson realizes that there are several players at his position vying for minutes at the same spot. He also knows that Wizards Coach Flip Saunders can't play all of them. "I've been watching Flip a long time. He only plays eight to nine players. He could play, maybe nine," said Stevenson, adding that he expects to be in the rotation.

He said his workouts with renowned trainer Alex McKechnie in Vancouver, B.C., last week forced him to work parts of the body that he never used before. "It's very frustrating, but it's very helpful. I haven't been feeling any pain. I got my weight down. Just feeling good, man."

This offseason has been much different than others: "I never been that hurt to see a physical therapist one-on-one. I'm used to season being over and working on things I need to work on, my strengths, to get better, then training camp starts. I'm taking time out of my summer, to fly somewhere to get in shape to work on something that will never happen again. We ain't our here playing. Vancouver is a pretty city but I ain't out here joking. He's really putting me to work."

Stevenson said that the pain in his back was so bad last season that it hurt him to lean over to pick up the ball, shoot the ball and even try to defend. He said the reason he kept trying to play was because he felt the team needed him with Arenas injured, and that the leadership of Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler inspired him to keep going out and playing.

While explaining his benching last season, Stevenson said he never was upset with Ed Tapscott and realized that his lackluster performance would likely lead to a change. "All respect to Tap. I love Tap. He did a great job with the team, with what he could," Stevenson said. "A lot of people wouldn't have took it as well as I took it."

Stevenson is also upset with the criticism that he's received from bloggers and other media members. "It's tough. When you hear stuff and read stuff. People don't understand what we go through. Unless you come to talk to me, they just think DeShawn had back surgery, he had a bad year, maybe he's not the same."

Stevenson said that he would welcome his latest career challenge. "I played for the hardest coach ever in NBA history, in Jerry Sloan. If I can get through that for four years, three years, not playing at all, fourth year starting, I can do anything. I played 82 games after knee surgery, my first year with the Wizards. Second year, no Gilbert Areans, stepped my game up, hitting game-winners. To third year, having a back injury, them making a trade, almost being traded. To me, it's all about what have you done for me lately."

His outlook on the upcoming season: "It's showcase time."

By Michael Lee |  August 3, 2009; 9:15 AM ET
Previous: Oberto, Stevenson Update | Next: The Eight-Man Rotation Is Coming

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

1st

Posted by: Gooddad | August 3, 2009 9:42 AM

An interesting guy, particularly his comments on Arenas' importance to the team. Wonder what he thought of Songaila, Etan and Pech.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 9:44 AM

wow, someone certainly thinks an awful lot of himself.

"If I don't step my game up, it's 29 other teams that know what I can do." - I wouldn't say that's a good thing...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | August 3, 2009 10:07 AM

It's great to have confidence, but winning titles against the likes of Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles, and Orlando with this group of players? That's more along the lines of delusional.

Posted by: kilgore_nobiz | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM

DeShawn deserves respect. He works as hard as any player in the league. I hope he hits the threes and defends with toughness, and, especially, finds the mid-range jumper and/or finishes his shots at the rim. Otherwise, one or more of the new guys will simply beat him out. All of which will mean the team has a bigtime chance this year.

Posted by: joe2chase | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM

DeShawn has taken a lot of heat over the years from fans mostly for not being a different player. It is obvious that last year's miserable performance was injury related but before that he was a quality role player who fit in extremely well when Arenas was healthy and was not suited at all to be a lead guard. I don't think anyone can give him flak for what he says in this piece....he knows his role and is prepared to compete whatever the consequences with no excuses. Seems to me like a stand up professional...who is basically untradeable until he proves he has recovered from back issues.

Posted by: camlot2822 | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM

Love it! DeShawn has the drive to be the best he can be. Maybe his natural talent isn't on the level of Arenas, but he seems to know that his role is to work hard, defend, hit the open shot when he gets it. He knows he isn't the play maker on this team and that's just what we need.

I admire that he tried to play through his injury. I hope he is better and back to where he was two seasons ago.

I look forward to watching all the SGs compete for playing time. Should mnake the real players better and the whiners can sit at the end of the bench until the trade hammer falls.

Miller will play more 3; DeShawn, Gil, NY, Foye and Critt will play some mix at the 1 and 2 with someone being the odd man out. My guess is Critt, moving Foye to the primary backup 1.

but let's face it, what are the odds that all 6 of these guys (including miller) will actually be healthy at the same time?

NY better step up or he will be out of here.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 10:30 AM

It's good to see a player go on the record. Lots of people criticize his statements about Lebron but he had the guts to say it - probably as a challenge to himself to step up his game (even if your not suppose to step on superman's cape).

He's saying the right things because the Zards have lots of talent at guard. If he's healthy the only criticism of him is being more clutch in the playoffs.

Posted by: boblas | August 3, 2009 10:31 AM

DeShawn is a clown, plain and simple. He brings nothing to the table except bad press. He was brought in for defense and he is at best a mediocre defender and quite simply the worst shooter in the league. We all remeber how poorly he played in the 06 and 07 playoffs with Gil out.

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 10:52 AM

29 other teams know what he can do? Really? I suspect 29 other teams would not take him for free. In fact, Minnesota was prepared to walk from the Foye/Miller deal if DS was included. This guy is starting from the bottom, and the team is stacked at SG. Unfortunately, DS is going to be pulling splinters out of his butt this year. As for his great attitude, let's check in in 3 months after he's riding pine. I sincerely doubt he's going to help this team this year.

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | August 3, 2009 11:09 AM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 11:10 AM

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 10:52 AM

Maybe I am missing something, but what bad press? He also brings a ton of energy and can get a crowd and his teammates fired up.

As far as his LeBron is overated comment, dude, its just gamesmanship and to be honest, if LeBron was held to the same officiating as the rest of the league's players, he would foul out by halftime and have 15 TO's a game (OK, just 7, since he fouled out at halftime)

DeShawn may not fit our team, but he is correct that there are 29 other teams and several of them would like a player like him.

Assuming he is healthy and back to form.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 11:12 AM

DeShawn was a much better player before his knee injury, with explosiveness he could dunk on anyone. Guys like Mike Miller and Gilbert Arenas remember what it was to play against him. If he still had his leg strength today, he would make Nick Young look like a high school player.
He has produced double digit games, even (specially?) when Gilbert was not available, was reliable and hard working.

People only remember last year when he obviously had the recurring back pains.
I hope he gets back to a competitive level this coming season, we will indeed have a very good team with all the guys back.

Posted by: rickgonz | August 3, 2009 11:12 AM

Anyone who says that Lebron James is "overrated" has very creditability in my mind.

Posted by: astrober1 | August 3, 2009 11:18 AM

Honestly, I'm surprised the guy is still even on the team. I thought he'd have followed Juan out the door.

But since he's here, I'll hope for the best. And also hope he doesn't make any more outrageous statements about LJ.

Posted by: nittanybruin | August 3, 2009 11:18 AM

Follow-up that has nothing to do with DS, but man...looking at that pic makes me think of what might've been had EG stepped up and kept Mase Jr. I still haven't quite gotten over that.

Posted by: nittanybruin | August 3, 2009 11:24 AM

Nittany Bruin, I agree with you. Honestly, I am surprised that Stevenson warrants a mention, much less a couple of blogs in a row.

Posted by: Beeb1 | August 3, 2009 11:24 AM

'People only remember last year when he obviously had the recurring back pains.'

nah, people remember the other years too. Like when he shot over 400 3s in '07-'08. Even hitting them at a good clip, that's not the kind of play we need from him. Sounds like he is ready to take on whatever role he gets, so hopefully we see the defensive minded hard-nosed player who is capable of hitting timely threes...rather than the Chucker

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 11:24 AM

I hope he does keep opening his mouth. I hope he's back in top form too so he can back it up.

but the soulja boy/jayz playoff series was great. we gave them trouble even without a healthy gil.

Posted by: crs-one | August 3, 2009 11:25 AM

I like DS's confidence, but let's get real. With the team they have, there is no way in h*ll washington will win a championship even with a 100% healthy G.A. The Wiz can't match boston, cleveland, or orlando as far as inside goes. They will win the rebounding and high percentage shots battle every time. Shooters will always have off nights, but the inside high percentage scoring will always be there.

Posted by: tmi1 | August 3, 2009 11:27 AM

Nobody complained about his 3's when they brought us back from 15 point deficits in the 3rd or 4th quarters.

If he can get back to form, he is a player this team needs; someone that can add some energy to a lagging team and get us back in it after a bad run.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 11:29 AM

And here is some truth that a lot of you probably don't want to hear. Stevenson is STILL a better player than Nick Young right now.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 11:31 AM

'The Wiz can't match boston, cleveland, or orlando as far as inside goes.'

We beat Boston 3 outta 4 the year they won the Championship right? That team is older now, and ripe for the picking.

Orlando...lots of changes down there, we'll see how it goes.

Cavs- I cant remember us beating a Shaqfu squad since Big Gheorghe laid the wood to O'neil back at the Cap Center many years ago

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 11:33 AM

I posted this in the last post.
This was the high point of the DS & Soulja Boy/LeBron & Jay-Z thing that year:

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 11:35 AM

If the players are playing up to their levels of expectations, it would not be good for Flip to just go with a shorter rotation just becuase that is his way.

That being said, for comraderie, every role/backup player including DSteve must earn their floor time, and if they are, then the floor time should not be limited by the rotation.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 11:42 AM

"Stevenson is STILL a better player than Nick Young right now.Posted by: SDMDTSU"

I don't know if that's true any longer. Back injuries are serious and often chronic. His sounds a lot more serious than we knew last season. That whole thing with Tapscott agreeing to pretend it was DS's idea to shut down for the season... not a good omen.

I'd go with he's a smarter player than Nick Young, how about that?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 11:48 AM

that says more about NY than it does about deshawn

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 11:50 AM

How about a puff piece on Foye?

Posted by: Izman | August 3, 2009 11:57 AM

"Shooters will always have off nights, but the inside high percentage scoring will always be there.Posted by: tmi1"

True, but --- the three pointer has really changed that equation. Hitting 33% of your 3 point shots is the same as hitting 50% on two-pointers. Teams that jack up a lot of threes and hit a percentage in the high thirties can are just pl;ain hard to beat. Take Orlando -- they had the best inside player in the game, and yet geared their offense around the outside jumper.

I'd compare the situation to the old football axiom that you established the run to open up the pass. Then somebody discovered that you could pass in order to open up the running game.

Every 3-pointer converted by the Wiz makes it easier for Jamison to score inside.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 11:57 AM

Gil at 80% and they are #1 in the East, 100% and they are champions... LOL

I'd like some of what he's smoking...

Posted by: HollywoodPlayboy | August 3, 2009 12:01 PM

I'd go with he's a smarter player than Nick Young, how about that?

I'll agree to that one.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 12:02 PM

I swear I used to get so frustrated with Nick. They would rotate and push him baseline. I'm watching like Nick...don't go baseline, swing it to the weakside. Then watch him go baseline...Realize it's nothing there and try to go back to the wing to realize (surprise!) here comes another defender! Then watch Nick try to throw in cross court to the guy who was open when he first got the ball only for it to get picked off. Especially at the end of games...I would sit there like seriously? You never learned ANYTHING?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 12:09 PM

Seriously people. As a player, you've got to believe that your team, at its best (healthiest) can beat anybody. Believe they can win a championship.

If Stevenson didn't believe they could win a championship, he would be an absolute poison to have on the squad.

One of the great things about our team is that they all believe they can win. That's not delusion, that's playing with purpose and direction. Check out any of the other teams that had a terrible record last season. They won't win this season because they are convinced that no matter how hard they try they can't win a championship. So they're playing for stats, for development, for contracts, whatever.

Of course Stevenson is going to believe they can win a championship. He is feeding off the team's leadership and also perpetuating that leadership to the younger players. The more that attitude sticks around, the better next season will be.

I for one think it's great to have a team that is truly playing with determination rather than a team that is just going through the motions.

Posted by: crs-one | August 3, 2009 12:09 PM

Stevenson blows, he talks way too much and really shouldn't be starting in this league...we need to get him off our team or into a reserve role where he's not aloud to speak

Posted by: ddahan1 | August 3, 2009 12:36 PM

i like deshawn, he reminds me of john starks.

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 3, 2009 12:54 PM

"If you run the numbers and apply them fairly, this Team sets up for a 10-man rotation. "

What "numbers" are you "running" and "applying"? There's no mathematical equation that determines how deep the rotation could, would, should, or will be. That's taking the use of completely made up data to support a point to new lengths.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 3, 2009 12:58 PM

this is the same guy that said lebron(whom i dont care for either)was overated.well much to my dismay,he aint overated.its going to take more than a healthy arenas to win a championship.with a healthy gil,we might get out of the first round

Posted by: billydee123 | August 3, 2009 12:59 PM

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 3, 2009 12:59 PM

'The Wiz can't match boston, cleveland, or orlando as far as inside goes.'

Orlando...lots of changes down there, we'll see how it goes.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 11:33 AM

DIVI3

Sometimes the matchups cannot be assesed until the Teams actually meet. I saw Orlando coming last year and accurately predicted that Cleveland would not have to worry about Boston, but Orlando.

What we see as strengths in other Teams may be minimized by the strengths of the Wizards. I see a Wizards Team that scores well and other Teams not being able deter them.

Put that together with a good coaching staff and a solid Defense and it will be hard for most Teams to stop them.

Even Cleveland, Boston and Orlando.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 1:00 PM

You guys to are putting Stevenson down are a joke. Stevenson is a hard working athlete. His remarks about LeBron James was a little over the top, but DeShawn works hard and I commend him for coming out, even though his back was killing him and try to help his team out. DeShawn will come out balling this season, whether off the bench or starting. You will see what he is really about come start of season. I hope that all of you nay sayers are ready to eat your words!

Posted by: paula123cavtelnet | August 3, 2009 1:01 PM

we need to get him off our team or into a reserve role where he's not aloud to speak.

Maybe people can't spell the word "ALLOWED" shouldn't be "ALLOWED" to type.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 1:05 PM

Correct, there is no mathematical equation that determines how deep the rotation could, would, should, or will be. Is precisely why I wonder why coaches set a number.

Hech, we might find out that the rotational number may be only 8, but from the looks of the Team it could easily be 10 and thats really all I am saying.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 1:18 PM

I saw him play down Barry Farms a few years back, dude is overrated... We needed a upgrade, we the team really needs to do is showcase him and send him packing...
Really the only reason he is still here is because when Gil was getting that new contract, the Wizards wanted to baby him, so they keep all his Homies around... Now we are paying for keeping sub-par players.... His spot could be filled with Blair(the 32nd pick... The one we let go for 2.5 million..

I just beieve we are close, but some of the past choices are now coming back to bite us...
1. AJ is not a banger, not a get a rebound when we need it... This is a must for the post season... Remember this when you see a young Amare or Milsap playing this year. That was a trade waiting to happen, that needed to happen...
2.Deshawn needed to be part of the package...

Posted by: xrendellx | August 3, 2009 1:33 PM

"So, If you have a Team like the Wizards, and the players play to form as expected, to me it would not be prudent to just set an arbitrary player rotational number that does not consider effective player contribution of them all."

Pure gobbledygook.

Of course the coach considers "effective player contribution" when determining a rotation. It just so happens that many coaches (most of them really) determine that it's more effective to establish a regular rotation in which 8 or 9 players get sufficient minutes to establish a rhythm than it is to try and play everyone on the roster. It all depends on the coach and the team. And since half the players on this team are young guys who haven't established anything in the NBA, there's nothing to suggest that any of them should be guaranteed a spot in the rotation just to meet your magic number.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 3, 2009 1:41 PM

"Looking at this Team, I can easily count 10 capable players, really more."

So? I'm pretty sure the view of the team is different from the coach's seat on the floor than it is from your couch.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 3, 2009 1:43 PM

Berry Farms? So what? His homies? Blair?

No the Wizards didn't re-sign him because he was the only above-average on ball defender we had AND hit 40% of his 3's. Who wants that on their team?

Do you really think Phoenix or Utah was going to trade one of them for Jamison? Especially Utah. Do you? What trade was WAITING to happen?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 1:43 PM

"You make no sense. Worst shooter in the league? But the 2 seasons before he shot almost 40% from 3pt. range. That's Mike Miller numbers. (Don't get me wrong...he's definitely not Mike Miller.)

06 when Arenas AND Butler were out? DeShawn is NOT a #2 option on offense. It was Jamison and DeShawn. He's not a playmaker or someone who should be counted on to help carry a scoring load. If I remember correctly Jarvis hayes or Songalia was the leading scorer that series besides Jamison. Are you serious?"

38% in 07-08, 31% in 08-09, it does not get any clearer than that. When you consider that he is never asked to carry the load offensively those number are truly awful.

Bad press? Remember the "you can't see me" face wave in the '07 playoffs during a 30+ point blowout loss after he hit a meaningless three? Those are usually the types of three's he hits, meaningless.

There is a reason trades were made for Miller and Foye. Many are concerned about our inside game, however this team needed a serious upgrade at the 2-slot to compete. I don't love Young, but at least there is the possibility he could be good since he is still developing. With DS his ceiling has been reached everyone knows what type of player he is.

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 1:47 PM

Actually the face wave was in the '08 playoffs, not '07.

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 1:51 PM

I can't feel my frontal lobe!

Posted by: minorthread | August 3, 2009 1:54 PM

Actually with Gilbert out DeShawn became the 3rd member of the big 3. Who did you think was gonna shoulder that scoring? Antonio Daniels? That face wave was stupid but his 3s were far from meaningless.I don't think anyone has made 158 meaningless 3s in one season.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 1:57 PM

And Stevenson's "ceiling" is higher than where Nick Young is right now anyway. We're hoping he learns how to make basic plays...like passing to the open man maybe?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 1:58 PM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 2:01 PM

"Considering his reasonable contract, his defense, open 3pt shooting, and toughness are useful. He plays decent on LeBron, when you consider that LeBron is unstoppable. You can throw DeShawn, DMac, and Caron at LeBron. He also is an excellent complement to the offense-geared Big3, helping to balance the team defensively. Miller is an offensive threat, but his defense is seriously lacking. Nick is still unproven and finding the proper offensive style and overall consistency. DeShawn has proven that he meshes well with the starting unit when all are healthy.Posted by: G-Man11"

Now add his bad back to that total and see how it changes.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 2:04 PM

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 3, 2009 2:04 PM

How is that bad press? This is bad press:

DeShawn was just being silly. I am not saying he's the greatest player in the league. All I'm saying is he plays hard and we could - and have- done a lot worse.

All he said in the interview was, to paraphrase: "I'm working hard this offseason to come back from my injury. I know there is competition and I'm going to compete. If the team has found better players, then there are other teams out there that could use my skills."

Why is that pissing you all off? If he is the best option at 2, then play him. If he ends up 4th player deep, then he won't play. For all we know, every duece on the dang team will be injured by Nov 10 and Mike James will be all we have at 2.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 2:06 PM

What's he supposed to say Playboy?

"Um, with a healthy Gil, we're 4th or 5th in the East and we'll probably get bounced from the playoffs early"

Is that the attitude you want them to project?

Posted by: ts35 | August 3, 2009 2:13 PM

Now add his bad back to that total and see how it changes.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 2:04 PM

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 2:15 PM

"Hmmm...38% and 31%....way to pick the season you wanna use to make your point. What were his stats the season before? 46% and 40$ on 3s. Way to leave that out...and the defense he played."

Most people would consider that last two seasons more relevant than the previous two. Would you like to use the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons to discuss how good a player Shaq is right now?

"And who gives a damn about bad press? Kobe raped a white girl and called out his GM, LeBron's last 2 months...you serious?"

So now Deshawn is on the level of Kobe and LeBron? It's one thing to have a superstar mouth off, but a less than mediocre scrub trying to get some press by showing off and doing the superman dance is ridiculous and a distraction.

But don't listen to me, take DS' statements at the end of Mike's blog: "It's showcase time." What does that tell you about his priorities?

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 2:19 PM

larryinclinton: "When I refer to run the numbers, I am referring to the number of players on the Team who can start or contribute in each game. Looking at this Team, I can easily count 10 capable players, really more. Running the numbers simply means the number of competent players that can contribute to winning games."

The flaw in this line of reasoning is the extreme selectivity of the NBA. Giving each team a full complement of 15 players, that's still only 450 athletes, representing the many tens of thousands of skilled, talented basketball players in the US and around the world. We casually disparage the ability of a DeShawn Stevenson or a Nick Young, but they're likely among the top five or six hundred players on the planet. Because the rosters are so small, it's probably fair to say that every veteran player on every NBA team is capable of contributing and most are capable of starting, at least temporarily.

And if you've ever been to a CBA or a D-League game, you know the individual skills are pretty good there, too.

The Wiz are indeed a team with some depth, but they have a bit of a challenge IMO: some of their most talented players are not ready for a main role. Like Javale McGee, probably the most talented guy on the club -- he's just developing the upper-body strength and the overall skills he needs to compete in the NBA. With the loss of Songaila and the others, he's going to have to step up soon. You'd like to baby him for another half-season; I'm not sure they can afford it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 2:21 PM

Dude - no body is saying that DS is Kobe or LeBron level. The fact that he does a silly wave or does a dance to hype the team and the crowd is not bad press...that's what we're saying. If you don't like it, then say you think it is poor sportsmanship or some other subjective frame. Bad Press is bad press. Doing a dance is silly, fun, stupid, cool, inane, or whatever...but not bad press.

And rape is not "mouthing off" dumas

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 2:27 PM

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 2:19 PM

What does it tell you? I took it to mean that he was ready to showcase his abilities to get some serious PT if not start. That would mean making a strong contribution to the team.

I guess you could decide it meant that he was going to show every other team in the league that he could play and make a huge contribution to their team. And that hurts the Wizards exactly how? I mean if he's hitting 40% 3's and lock down D to show off for other teams, I think I'd still take the 3's and the D, since we ain't getting it elsewhere.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 2:32 PM

Washington does not need JaVale to start. He can be a backup piece on a level of a lot of backups out there, playing 5-10 minutes a night, while Oberto averages about 5-10 too, leaving Brendan without about 30 minutes per game. Also, JaVale will be playing with better players too who will set him up positions to use his skill. You also gonna see Blatche getting minutes at the center spot as well, as a backup. The key at the spot is Brendan, not anyone else this year.

Don't look at everything as the glass half-empty becuase it aint.

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 3, 2009 2:37 PM

Stevenson needs either a one-way ticket out of town, or a "cookie" truck to St. Elizabeth's...Ain't no D--- way this team, the way it is constructed now, WILL WIN (much less appear in)the NBA Championship. First, we need to prove that we can get to .500, then worry about the playoffs, then we'll go from there...Baby steps here...

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 3, 2009 2:39 PM

"Don't look at everything as the glass half-empty becuase it aint. "

By definition, if it's only half-full, it's still half-empty. Of course Brendan and Fabricio get the minutes if they're healthy. But that's far from guaranteed.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 2:41 PM

Considering he was hurt last season...I don't consider it an accurate viewpoint. It wasn't even a whole season. So you judge a season by the 32 injured games he played? Who said anything about 1999? Are you retarded?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 2:41 PM

'Of course Brendan and Fabricio get the minutes if they're healthy.'

Why would Kevin Sorbo get the minutes over Javale? Don't we want Mcgee to get as many minutes as he can possibly earn?

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 2:48 PM

We need to tell the truth.DS is the best defender in the team, he is an average shooter who understands his role and not taking too much shoots.I do not expect sounders to make Miller a starter for two reasons
1/ he wants to limit his rotation to a 9 man by bringing both foye amd miller for 1&2 and 2&3 respectively.AB and JM will be given the chance until they fail.
2/ Miller is not a better defender.
If recovery from back surgey is fine it is ovious DS will be the starter.I have no clue how NY and JC are going to see minutes.DM will get his minutes for his defenssive contribution,He might be the right starter if DS is not 100%.It is very hard to see a less than 100% DS in the rotation as long as NY is staying in the team.
a healthy DS, NY and AB will remain on the trade line until the midseason.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 3, 2009 3:05 PM

"And rape is not "mouthing off" dumas"

And being accused of a crime and being convicted are not the same either. Do they believe in due process where you come from? Or did you just anoint yourself judge and jury?

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 3:06 PM

"So you judge a season by the 32 injured games he played? Who said anything about 1999? Are you retarded?"

So I should judge it by the 50 games he didn't play? Or should I just get frustrated that I can't make a relavant point and start hurling insults instead?

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 3:12 PM

I thought you were talking about bad press. A rape trial during the playoffs certainly isn't good press. Is it? That's not a distraction at all.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 3:16 PM

I agree that a lot of bloggers and posters have a very short sight and short memory. Deshawn is a moth.. fu..... warrior. He was a key player that got us to the playoffs without Gilbert, and then made some noise against Cleveland without Gilbert AND Caron. He hustles every night and give it his all. Why don't people understand that serious back injury equates to decreased ability to play? He was playing with that bad back for a year!!

Posted by: jistutz | August 3, 2009 3:19 PM

No. A logical person would realize that he's been here 3 seasons and formulate an opinion by the entire time and the role he's played as well as the circumstance that he was njured the whole season last year and had back surgery. It makes sense instead of being like he shot 31% he sucks. He was injured. Why don't we just say McGuire is our best 3 point shooter since he shot 50% last season?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 3:21 PM

tmil said:

Posted by: tmi1 | August 3, 2009 11:27 AM

The thing is, with the emergence of Javale McGee, absolutely we can. Funny, right? That there's no holes in the Wizards anymore? Go Ernie! Sky's the limit- hardly anybody but the players and coaches themselves know that. I know that.

Posted by: jistutz | August 3, 2009 3:22 PM

The problem with Deshawn's 3pt shooting is not that he 'slipped' to 38% in '07-'08

It's that he tends to go 6-8 one night and 2-11 the next. Maybe the 6-8 nights guarantee a win, but all those 2-11 games are guaranteed losses.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 3:26 PM

Deshawn. The worst 2 guard in the league.

George Muresan has a better jumper than him.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | August 3, 2009 3:35 PM

Exactly divi3. The nice part is that this year at least we have better alternatives. The one thing I will say in DS's favor is that recent injuries, especially to Gil and also Caron, have put him in a position where's he had to try to do more than should be asked of him.

Posted by: ts35 | August 3, 2009 3:46 PM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 3:16 PM

Exactly. I didn't say he did or didn't do anything...just showing an example of bad press. Now AI (the Criminal) was convicted when he was in High School.

And this is another example of bad press:

And you'll have to ask yourself why you can't make a relevant point. Poor education? Limited cognitive abilities? Whatever. Also, how you choose to deal with your inability to make a relevant point is up to you. Frustration would seem logical, but since it is the only logical thing you've said all day, probably not the only approach.

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 3:56 PM

DS stepped up and played well in 2007-2008 but people only seem to focus on his poor season last year when he tried to play with a herniated disc. Is he a starting quality shooting guard on a strong team? No, but the Wiz played well with him as a starter for two years when they went to the playoffs. I question more EG's willingness to give him a 4-yr. deal when he knew that we would need to upgrade at SG to be a real contender in the East.

Hopefully, DS can become a good situational role player who can provide tough D off the bench and the occasional open 3-point shot. He no longer fits the role of a starter for the Wizards with options like Foye and Miller on the roster.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 3, 2009 4:00 PM

Someone commented that DeShawn was the "worst shooter on the team". I guess if you factor in the last two years, while he was hurt than yes that's true. But how many people shoot well in pain?

Look at the previous two years and you'll see he was a 46% FG shooter with 40% accuracy from 3 point range. If he's healthy and can play defense, I'll take those stats any day.

Posted by: WantUnbiasedNews | August 3, 2009 4:36 PM

Actually, the guy said he was the worst shooter in the league...pretty much loses all credibility there, but I just figured he was being dramatic to make a point.

Here's the quote - by the same guy that can't make any other valid point:

Posted by: blinders1 | August 3, 2009 10:52 AM

Posted by: Blurred | August 3, 2009 4:43 PM

I agree completely. He was way out of his role, a role he plays rather well...when healthy. He was pretty much our only legitimate 3pt threat besides Jamison who is a PF anyway. Gil (healthy hopefully) Foye and Miller should open up driving lines and hopefully get us to the line more. We'll see....

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 4:46 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 3, 2009 1:41 PM

I am betting on the fact Flip will not be as shortminded with the young guys as you call them.

Because, the young guys are going to be critical to the success of the Team and without them the Vets will not, repeat, will not, get it done alone.

That being a fact, it then portends that, the rotational number might be larger than 8 guys.

And I seriously beg to differ that any of them should not be considered in the rotation. It's not like they are playing behind 5-7 of the best players in the League.

Give me a break Kalo, just what art thou referring too.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 4:48 PM

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 2:21 PM

Totally disagree that McGee is not ready to contribute quality support to the Team. Baby him? Why? And what for? JM, JC, AB, & NY, do not need to be babied and brought along like a third string quarterbacks.

They've had enough of willy nilly coaching that accomplished nothing for them or the Team.

I've said it before and I am saying it again, the success of this Team is going to depend largely on the young players. This is our bench and depth and it must and will perform.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 5:00 PM

we should hire mitch richmond as an assistant coach, he would be good for the young gaurds on our team.

Posted by: wizRjizz | August 3, 2009 5:01 PM

They guy went through 4 epidural injections in an attempt to play through the pain, and people complain about his 3 pt. shooting percentage. Half of those same people couldn't sit at a keyboard and type insults without wetting themselves if they were in that kind of pain!

I wish Stevenson the best in his recovery, back surgery is tough to recover from and regain all of your abilities. As we saw with Songaila, his game was diminished after back surgery.

Because Stephenson soldiered on when he was hurt doesn't diminish his past role with the team. He wasn't brought here to be the primary scoring guard, or play point, but he did both at times. And he helped battle an undermanned team to the playoffs.

The beat up team that faced Cleveland in the playoffs the year of the Over rated flap, wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs. LaBron should have been embarassed to lose a game to that beat up squad, let alone get run off the court!

I'd tend to agree with Stevenson and Larry, if Gil's a 100% it's other teams in the east that will have to be devising ways to slow this team down offensively.

Flip is one of the best offensive minds in basketball, give him this team healthy, and he'll do some damage in the East. Maybe LaBron will get a chance to practice his manners when he loses to us this year...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 3, 2009 5:15 PM

"Any guy that attempted to play NBA basketball and compete against the finest players in the world with a ruptured disk that required surgery deserves a little respect. The man has to be an absolute warrior.

Posted by: flohrtv | August 3, 2009 5:15 PM "

It doesn't hurt that dude is getting $14 mil to do it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 5:29 PM

"Young players has been an archilles heel for the Wizards for years, because we have had a simple shortsighted coaching philosophy.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 4:48 PM "

Achilles heel?

That's sad when you're paying max money for one player, and $50 mil to another player, above the lux tax threshold, and you're a team that's had little playoff success.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 5:32 PM

38% in 07-08, 31% in 08-09, it does not get any clearer than that.

Anybody who says anything definitive about Stevenson and what his contribution will be this year is premature.

He has had good years and he has had dreadful years. It's possible (likely) that last year was largely a result of his back pain. It's possible that the year before he was asked to do too much with Gilbert out. He is somewhat inconsistent, especially when he tries to step up from being a role player when one of the allstars goes out.

There's a lot of x-factors, but he's proven that he can be detrimental, but he's also proven that he can be one of the best role players on our squad. There's no telling how his recovery from back surgery will be, and what his role will be this year.

So everyone who hates deshawn and talks about how terrible he is, just sit on your hands for a couple months and see how he looks on the court before you start talking so dogmatically.

And for those who are all over Deshawn and thinks he is one of the best players on the team and uses his back injury to explain away all his woes, all three of you should do the same.

Posted by: crs-one | August 3, 2009 5:40 PM

Hey everyone!!!
Is anyone catching what everyone of Gilberts teamates are saying about Gilbert? Each teammate keeps saying IF Gil is healthy? Shouldn't he be healthy by now?? I hope he is- I'm his biggest fan but I dont like all the IF talk. They should be saying Gil IS healthy and we're ready to kick butt. When Gil played his last game last year Wash times writer in his blog noted that Gil was "limping around" after the game. Hope he didnt reinjure.

Even still I think we will be a good team this year.

Posted by: lanka124 | August 3, 2009 5:51 PM

Posted by: lanka124 | August 3, 2009 5:51 PM

---------------------

I wouldn't be too concerned. From what it seems, Gil is "healthy." However, whether or not this translates to being healthy enough to produce at his previous high level over 82 real life NBA games is unknowable. Hence why his teammates are saying if.

Posted by: crs-one | August 3, 2009 6:00 PM

DC_Hater88,

You know as well as anyone else injuries are the #1 component to Wizards travails of the past few seasons, though you will not be able to admit it.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 6:25 PM

With all the ?'s about the health of the core players on the Wizzies I think success will come with Time management by Flip and the readiness of Javale, Critt, Nick, Dom & Dray to contribute & grow up.
These 5 need to show that when they come in a game that they can compete with the other team while our starters get a break. They should not have the attitude that they are just holding the fort but that they are attacking and having a positive impact. Last year several times it seemed that NY & AB were not playing TEAM BBall.

Posted by: VBFan | August 3, 2009 6:58 PM

I am still on stevenson. I think the hate on him is from LJ supporters.DS said he is overrated. He said again " I do not like him, he is a bad man,He knows what he did to me in the last playoff game" .This is the personal opinion of DS, he still believe in his opinion, most of us do not.I think both of them know each other no need to make it a reason to hate DS who is an excellent role player for any team.

Posted by: gtefferra | August 3, 2009 7:09 PM

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 7:18 PM

"The Wizards could pull a 4 team trade and get Dwight Howard, LeBron and Kobe for Mike James expiring contract and a chili dog from Ben's Chili Bowl and DC_Man would STILL find a way to be critical. This is just Cheap Abe trying to win a championship so he can raise prices next year..Les Boules blah blah blah

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 7:18 PM "

You'll have to wait until that trade happens to see my reaction...which of course will be never.

BTW, Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated and sucks.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 7:49 PM

"DC_Hater88,

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 6:25 PM "

Your excuse and $1 might get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 7:50 PM

I've been critical of Deshawn in the past, and you know, there's plenty to be critical about. Independent of his injury last season - before his injury, in fact - he's been an inconsistent player, and he has a propensity to chuck ill-advised outside shots.

However, he's also one of the better defenders on the team, and possibly a better defender than any other SG currently in the lineup (though Mike Miller is not too shabby, as I recall). When Gilbert's in the lineup, Stevenson's game improves dramatically, given all the open looks. And I have to say, I'm impressed by what he said in that interview.. I'm used to thinking of Deshawn as kind of a loud-mouth trash talker, but he said the best thing he could possibly say - that he looks at the recent trades as a challenge, and that he intends to meet the challenge. I hope Deshawn Stevenson has many opportunities to not feel his face this season.

Posted by: satchmore | August 3, 2009 7:58 PM

BTW, Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated and sucks.

Posted by: DC_HATER88 | August 3, 2009 7:49 PM

you suck.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 8:01 PM

"you suck.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 8:01 PM "

No, you suck.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 8:04 PM

"DeShawn deserves respect."

No he doesn't.

He can't create his own shots, even when he is healthy, and when he was defended after Gil went down couldn't consistently make a shot to save his life. His defense is average at best.

The ONLY thing I like Stevenson for is that he really dislikes Lebron James. I honestly can't get enough of that and hopes he continues to clobber Lebron when they play next season.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 3, 2009 8:04 PM

Lakers now after being a Celtics fan last summer?

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 8:08 PM

No room for Deshawn on this team anymore.
I think Orlando made a mistake letting Turk get away.They no longer have the big mismatch when Turk could move to the point. They are more traditional now. Look for the Wiz to split 2-2 with them this year. Book it.

Posted by: ptp23 | August 3, 2009 8:27 PM

If Foye is what everyone seems to think he is, then DS really doesn't offer very much IMO other than another experienced guard to run flip's O. But from what we've seen in summer league and what we've read here on Wiz Insider ( flip playing NY like Rip) it seems like Flip has plans for nick this year, that combined with Foye and Miller plus Gil makes for a crowded backcourt where the only guy guaranteed minutes is the $100 million man. I think DS might be traded before season's end he's a decent role player, but i don't think we need him anymore.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 3, 2009 8:33 PM

I wouldn't put too much stock into summer league. If DeShawn is healthy, playing like he's shown he's capable of and Nick doesn't produce...he'll probably still end up buried on the bench.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 9:01 PM

so you're depending on a guy who, by his own account, was too hurt to play well last year to play better than a player who's been improving every year and has the coach working on maximizing his efficiency. that's cool if you wanna bury NY on the bench but you failed to address his role given the additions of Foye and Miller (2 guys who've been touted on this very blog as potential starters).

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 3, 2009 9:13 PM

Appreciated the article. Maybe DS is not the clown I thought he was, especially after watching that ridiculous hotel clip the other day. If healthy his calling card will defense which should merit some rotation PT.

Young will need to step his game up. DMac and Miller will be at the 3 behind Caron. As much as I like DMac I am not sure that both he and DS will be in the second string. I love the competition that is going to take place. will only make us better.

In the crunch time I am imagining Gil, Caron Jamison, Brenden and either DMac, DSteve or Miller depending on matchups and whether Miller is hot. I love the thought of seeing that.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | August 3, 2009 9:19 PM

"DC_HATER88, you tired azz internet troll you, what's your team? Will you tell us who you root for?

Lakers now after being a Celtics fan last summer?

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 8:08 PM "

You are a F'n troll.

Leave me alone.

stupid bama.

My team is whatever team is gang bangin' your moms.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 9:20 PM

Okay...he was hurt for a season. I said if he's healthy and playing at the level he played at the 2 previous seasons. Then yes. I'd much rather depend on Stevenson than Nick Young if I want to win. You're counting on Flip being able to make Nick Young drastically increase his basketball IQ? He has not improved. He is the same player. Even in summer league how many games did it take for him to get an assist? His defense is STILL below average.

I see Miller coming off the bench as a 3. Either way Arenas, Foye, Miller, Stevenson could end up being the top 4 guards. With Foye playing some backup PG.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 9:28 PM

The only issues you've cited in reference to NY's low basketabll IQ are issues related to ballhandling, like overdribbling and poor passes. Everything we've read about the summer league and flip's work with NY is that he's moving more without the ball and getting it in catch and shhot situations. It seems like flip's plan is to use him more off the ball to keep him out of those situations where he's handling the ball alot. i dunno , it might not work but i'd rather roll the dice with NY who's been getting better vs DS who's been getting worse (declining shooting %, mounting injuries).

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 3, 2009 9:38 PM

Leave me alone.

Posted by: DC_HATER88 | August 3, 2009 9:20 PM

But the request stands, if you insist on talking dumb smack at least let us in on who your team is so we can all have a little fun.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 9:40 PM

I think flip is going to ask both Stevenson and NY to come off screens, hit midrange jumpers, and play D. Deshawn's future with the team probably depends on him backing off the 3pt shot and hitting more of the shorter stuff.

Situation is great for NY, imo. Time to show or go. If he cant flat beat out Stevenson coming off an injury, we'll have no regrets if he's traded.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 9:46 PM

Don't be selective. I said his defense is bad too. Let alone Nick said he'll try what Flip wants, but he's still going to go back to what he wants to do. Rolling the dice and hoping young players magically "get it" doesn't sound like a good idea in my opinion. So Nick has ball handling, passing and shot selection issues. Sounds like a plan to me.

Moutning injuries? He couldn't have played 2 straight seasons 82 games. That's not possible. Sure his FG % dropped in 08...Arenas didn't play and I think you get much better looks playing off Gil than Antonio Daniels. Stevenson isn't adept at creating his own shots.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 9:47 PM

"I get it, you're just a punk azz biatch here to troll wizard fans without EVER manning up about your own team. A trolling hater, pure and simple, blathering nonsensical posts to try and rile people up for the sake of it. Duly noted. Don't get scared, I'll leave your weaksauce alone.

Posted by: divi3 | August 3, 2009 9:40 PM "

You obviously are a stupid troll who can't handle the truths that I reveal to you about Les BouleS.

If you can't handle the truth, do your sorry ass a favor and don't read it.

Again, my team is any team that's all up in your mom's crack.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 9:51 PM

In momma's bum crack? That's just rude.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 3, 2009 9:57 PM

"In momma's bum crack? That's just rude.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 3, 2009 9:57 PM "

Imagine the gang's reaction when they see/smell it.

Putrid horror!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 10:03 PM

BTW, Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated and sucks.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 3, 2009 7:49 PM

--------------------

Now that is just unacceptable...

Posted by: crs-one | August 3, 2009 10:04 PM

Larry, your analysis on the 10 man rotation has some insightful value. I try hard to not critique folks here, but some of that criticism you got seems a little bipolar, jumping all over you for your ideas, and then making their own assertions of similar value. Don't we all just make up stuff here anyway, or are there a few guys who are on the NBA payroll and then show up here at night. Jeez, I got that same treatment from the same guy, him trying to tell me the deeper intent behind my opinion. Maybe a budding psychologist.

Anyway, the 10 man rotation question is more interesting a point than credited so far, and here is why. Yes, injuries are going to factor into that anyway, but if you have this many decent players, including "average" but decent veterans and high potential but still lackluster young guys, some coaches would see value in spreading the minutes, seeing who is hot, then playing those hot players. Saunders said as much when I saw him speak in person about the Wiz, yeah in person. What he said was, the players determine if they will play or not, not him. If anyone needs that explained, let me know.

With this many decent players, a few of them stars, we are bound to have 6 or 7 warm or hot at any one time, and since that is not always predictable off the court, a wider rotation finds the hot players and gives them their minutes. It makes no sense to have capable players on the bench when they might just have a potential great game in them on any given night. I predict the wider rotation to find the hot players, especially at home, where the fan support can be infectious for a player with a hot hand. I've seen it many a night at home. But the rotations may be tighter on the road.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 3, 2009 10:57 PM

@ragtop4spd

Your synopsis points clearly why a Team like this one deserves a serious chance at a wider rotation.

It breeds positive competition and keeps the players highly motivated. Also, that intangible called comraderie becomes a large part of your Team.

Also, your point of a wider rotation at home is huge, for in the NBA, a superior home court winning percentage is huge.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 11:31 PM

...I loved that Dsteve called WaaBron out; it helped expose WaaBron and the league and all their biases during the playoffs that season. It did show Dsteve haa gumption, something many of the Wiz players lack. Besides Dsteve and BTH, what other players on the Wiz would you really trust had your back? None in my opinion. The last two years these two players have shown the most heart of any of the current Wiz players...furthermore Dsteve will probably play an important albeit diminished role replacing NY on the court whenever NY stops doing exactly what Flip tells him to do and NY returns to his knuckle head style of goofball play. I see Flip keeping NY on a tight leash and using Dsteve as his disciplined replacement. I also see Flip using a rotation (8, 9, 10 men, whatever) that minimizes having a combination of NY, AB and or McGee on the floor at any one time. Call it the only-one-knucklehead-on-the-floor-at-any-one-time rule. And this will be a very good thing for the Wiz...

And yes I am sorry to say Ben's Chili really is overrated and it does kind of suck. I had a bowl of Ben's chili at a Nats game last month, took one spoonful and threw the rest away. HardTimes Chili is much better, particularly the Cincinnati 4-way chilimac with some sweet cornbread on the side...

Posted by: oddjob2 | August 3, 2009 11:31 PM

Nats game? Nah....you gotta go to the one down on U. Street. I can't imagine it would be the same at the stadium.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 3, 2009 11:43 PM

I like it...

"only-one-knucklehead-on-the-floor-at-any-one-time rule"

But you need to work on the title so we can have a quick acronym.

On a related topic, I hate seeing those nights when a shooter is 2 for 12 or similar, and then losing by 4 points or similar. I know they say to shoot through your cold spells, but this balanced team should not let anyone fall to that kind of shooting without sitting them down, or asking them to pass to the hotter hand. No longer do we need to have one or two players jack up shots all night. Watch the new Gil, lots of passing. But he'll bring it up court once in a while and immediately jack one up from 10 feet beyond the arc, just so that we recognize that it's still him. He'll hit a good percentage of them.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 3, 2009 11:45 PM

I too had Ben's Chili at the Nat's game and it was Nasty'. I do still plan on trying it downtime, for you cannot have a rep for something that tasted like it did at the ball park.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 11:54 PM

'I too had Ben's Chili at the Nat's game and it was Nasty'

people, people, people! The Ben's at Nats park is frozen the day before and warmed by adding hot water. Please don't confuse it with the delicious goodness available on U Street.

Posted by: divi3 | August 4, 2009 12:11 AM

'I had a bowl of Ben's chili at a Nats game last month'

and by the way, dont order a bowl of chilli at Ben's. Order a chilli-cheese halfsmoke and an order of chilli-cheese fries to go with your chocolate shake.

While sitting at the counter talking Wizards to patrons and staff, of course

Posted by: divi3 | August 4, 2009 12:16 AM

Statistical analysis says that there's no such thing as a "hot hand" or a "cold spell". When you pull a "cold" player out of the game, you don't improve the team's shooting percentage. The only effect is to screw with your player's head.

Posted by: yop32 | August 4, 2009 7:05 AM

Spin it any way you want, the established history points to the fact that really good teams rarely if ever use 10 man rotations on a regular basis. The point of having a rotation is to ID the best players and use them to maximum effect. Playing 10 or 11 guys truncated minutes is not the best way to go and pretty much every NBA coach understands that.

As for a longer rotation fostering competition . . . bull. That's the exact opposite of the truth. What's there to compete for if everybody gets to play? But if only 8 or 9 guys are going to get regular minutes, that's when guys start trying to fight their way to the top of the pile. If you actually follow the NBA (as opposed to just the Wiz) you'd see very readily that long rotations are rare and that the only teams that really make a habit of using them are bad ones, either out of desperation or necessity or in an attempt to figure out who they need to keep and who they need to ditch. Good teams? Not so much.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 4, 2009 7:51 AM

As for Stevenson, it's pretty clear that if they could have gotten rid of him, he'd be gone already. What to do with him could pose something of a dilemma for Flip. He's probably not in the team's long-term game plan, but if they don't put him out there and show he can still play, they'll never be able to move him (at least not before he hits his expiring contract year). If Stevenson's really healthy coming out of camp, I could see Flip giving him some run early, just to dangle the trade bait hook.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 4, 2009 7:56 AM

Key of this whole article is "it depends on Gilbert Arenas". DeShawn is a good defender, a hard worker, a decent shooter etc. but at the end of the day DeShawn's back is irrelevant. He practically said it himself. It doesn't make a difference who the starter and first guy off the bench at the 2-guard spot is because and I quote - "it depends on Gilbert Arenas".

Posted by: blackman1 | August 4, 2009 8:51 AM

Kal..I got a question for you. What's your prediction for the Wiz this year?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 4, 2009 9:05 AM

Riddle me this Kalo-Rama

If depth is not a positive factor, why are people trying to load up? Orlando has depth. Cleveland is still looking to sign extra players. Why do people on this board begging for Abe to spend more money on backups to Haywood and Antawn? Does San Antonio have depth?

Depth is a factor, especially with the way the wizards have been injured. Yes they have Foye to replace Gil if Gil gets...I ain't gonna say it. And no, Foye aint Gil either. But he ain't whoever replaced Gil in the past either. He is better than them. Depth can help in minimizing the dropoff in talent when someone gets hurt, like Caron for example. Miller and DMac will replace him and they still have a backup. If Nick remains inconsistent, then he doesn't have to play. I think Nick wants to play so he will be more consistent because he knows this team has other options. That is why they brought in Oberto, if Blatche is inconsistent they have another option.

It also allows them to play matchups, depending on teams and strategy. The only place that I have seen how the wizards will use its depth is in blogs, nothing from the coaches or players. In other words, who said washington will be doing anything different with its depth than other teams with depth do?

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 4, 2009 9:17 AM

'Spin it any way you want, the established history points to the fact that really good teams rarely if ever use 10 man rotations on a regular basis.'

Posted by: divi3 | August 4, 2009 9:18 AM

Stevenson would have gotten paid the same amount of money if he'd have just knocked off and not tried to play through a ruptured disk.

My point was, and still is, the guy attempted to play through a severely painful injury in order to try and help the team. I also tend to believe watching his play, that he was playing with the same injury going down the stretch the year before.

If he's healthy, Flip will find a way to use him. Logic says that if all of the guards come to camp fit, then Ernie's dealing from a position of strength and he'll have assets to move.

If McGuire shows the ability to slide to the 4 some, he may find some minutes there as an uptempo reserve. Could McGuire be like a young Rodman in his early days at Detroit? The kind of guy that could play short stints all over the floor.

But Stevenson got it right, it all hinges on Gil. We're all here waiting to see if the third time's a charm and the knee's good to go.

If it is, we'll see a stronger, smarter Gil, that's learned to pick his spots, and rely on the team Ernie's put together around him more.

The big three won't have to carry all the load and Flip won't have to rely on "smoke and mirrors" to coverup a D League bench like Eddie did. Depth at the 4 & 5 is the big question mark. Blatche & McGee will be the keys to how far this team will go.

Wow,somebody went off the reservation again last night. that foul crap's been going on here for a couple of years.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 4, 2009 9:25 AM

Barring an extraordinary reversal of fortune, Stevenson's healthy back is probably only relevant in as far as his trade value later in the season.

Interesting revelations about Foye, Miller, McHale and the Wolves parting of ways.
Beyond the manifest debacle that the T'Wolves had become, McHale's exit as Minny's coach was in the cards because he never would have agreed to trade what he considered T'Wolves quality, core players; the players he had of course assembled.

Arenas is an important key to the Wizards success, but if he is the only key the Wiz are a one and done team.
With Saunders coaching, the maturity and experience Butler, Jamison and Haywood gained absent Arenas' magnetic attraction and domination of the ball and the addition of talent like Foye and Miller, there is hope that there will be more ball and player movement next season.

Ball movement, that is, other than the up and down pounding of the ball, while Gilbert decides whether to bury a 3 or slice and dice in the paint while the the rest of the team orders out for pizza.

Arenas' return is important for the Wizards' success partially in how much he is willing to step back from monopolizing the ball and activating other players in the offense.
Very curious to see the chemistry of this group of players and coaches here in Washington.

Posted by: midlevex | August 4, 2009 9:35 AM

"Lakers had 10 players averaging 12mins/night or more this past season. I would say they qualify as a good team."

Yet another example of someone looking so hard at the numbers that they totally miss the facts.

The fact is, that all 10 of those players weren't actually in the regular rotation at the same time. Some played more when others got hurt than their PT declined when guys got healthy. Jackson wasn't playing 10 guys a night on a regular basis.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 4, 2009 9:39 AM

"If depth is not a positive factor, why are people trying to load up?"

Who said "depth is not a positive factor"? I sure as hell didn't. That being the case, the rest of your argument is dead on arrival.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 4, 2009 9:41 AM

but that is what you are implying. What are you really trying to say? or do you know yourself what you are saying?

and don't take things personally either

Posted by: G-Man11 | August 4, 2009 9:57 AM

DS was a very good role player for this team before his injury, fact. When injured or placed in a more primary role for which he was never intended to play he faltered, fact. So, that would lead a logical, rational person to conclude that if he returns to health this season and is back to his intended role, he will once again be a very good role player. Perhaps, a starter, although I think that is not likely with Foye on the team. All the other hyperbole in here about DS is just that, hyperbole - like he is the worst shooter in the league or choosing his two worst statistical seasons. Get a brain!

DS's biggest obstacle this year as I suggested is Foye. As Foye is younger, a better play maker, probably an even better defender against most guards, and as good a shooter. The only thing DS has on him is a little more size, ruggedness, and experience.

Obviously, nobody knows how Flip is planning on using his pieces, but I see Flip giving NY a chance early on as a primary backup at SG with a very short lease. DS will be the recipient of NY's fading mins and as the season lingers NY will only be used on those rare occasions when this team needs an injection of offense.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 4, 2009 10:06 AM

"Because nobody ever, ever recovered from an injury? Okafor, had a bad back in college, but played the last 2 seasons straight through. Maybe its still injured; maybe its not - not likely YOU actually know anything about it.Besdides - its OBVIOUS that if his back is still out, he won't get court time. Why even bring it up? All anyone here has said is that if he is healthy and plays like he did 2 years ago/3 years ago, he adds a lot to the team.
Posted by: Blurred"
Back injuries don't have an 'on-off'switch -- they flare up and cause problems for monhts or years after the initial episode. Chronic back problems are among the most difficult to manage, because they have all sorts of secondary effects on athletic skills such as shooting and playing defense. That's essentially what Stevenson was describing in the article. Surgery sometimes fails to 'fix' the problem, or remedies it only temporarily. One rule of thumb is that it's easier for an inside player to come back from a serious back injury than for someone whose job is running the court, playing perimeter defense, and shooting from outside the arc -- because the demands on the back are different. Not to say that Stevenson won't be better than ever -- just to note that he may never be himself again.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:09 AM

"Kal..I got a question for you. What's your prediction for the Wiz this year?
Posted by: SDMDTSU"

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:12 AM

As far as DS's predictions, I like'em. I like the positive outlook. More people in here could use it. And, if GA is 100% the player he was, we will be right in the mix of championship contenders. That would mean we have a top 7 NBA player, two other all-star caliber players, a former 6th man of the year, a legit NBA center, and much more depth than we had when Arenas led us to the second round of the playoffs. That is enough to make any team a contender. Of course, with the Wiz, staying healthy is usually the biggest obstacle.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 4, 2009 10:22 AM

Wizard hopefulls keep and eye on the final cut at the end of training camp. If DeShawn Stevenson makes the team, then the Wizards will not make the playoffs.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | August 4, 2009 10:46 AM

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 4, 2009 10:49 AM

"but that is what you are implying. "

No, that's what you're inferring. Two very different things.

"or do you know yourself what you are saying? "

I know exactly what I'm saying. If you'd like to know, go back and read it again. I'm not interested in teaching a remedial course for the folks who can't keep up.

"and don't take things personally either"

What makes you think I'm taking anything you say personally? Hell, I can barely take anything you say seriously.

"My prediction is that the vast majority of folks who make predictions about NBA season records will be wrong. "

And I, in turn, am predicting that Samson is the one person around here whose predicting has a better than 50-50 chance of actually coming true.

"I think the next "insider" thread is supporting what Kal is trying to say here. You don't win with playing 10 man rotations on a nightly basis. Depth is better served in cases of foul trouble or injury and Flip says as much. I concur."

Hey G-Man, maybe rphilli721 can loan you his notes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 4, 2009 10:54 AM

Dude...why the heck are you guys standing up for this guy?? There is a reason that we was almost traded. There is a reason he isnt going to start anymore.
I'll admit..at times, his defense is good. But it's not as good as everyone hypes it up to be. And all he can do it shoot 3's and only make 33% of them?? Thats baddd. He isnt as bad as I make it seem, but I just can't stand the guy! He is so freaking cocky it's not even funny. I hope he gets no playing time.

I am just interested in seeing the ORIGINAL starting 4 on the court for opening tip off. Arenas, Butler, Jamison, and Haywood. I don't even care who plays the 2.

It's gonna be our comeback season!

Posted by: hnic07 | August 4, 2009 11:06 AM

While sitting at the counter talking Wizards to patrons and staff, of course

Posted by: divi3 | August 4, 2009 12:16 AM

finally someone who actually eats a ben's for the food not just to say that he tried it. i don't know anyone who get's a bowl of chilli from ben's, maybe old people or something, but it's the halfsmokes chilli fries and chilli burgers that get it done.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 4, 2009 11:35 AM