Day 2, iPods And The Goonies?

On the second day of training camp, players again echoed Antawn Jamison's sentiment that the new iPod Touches that Flip Saunders gave them before camp were awesome. Saunders credited his son, Ryan, the Wizards assistant coach for statistical analysis, for coming up with the idea to place video and diagrams from his 250-page playbook on the high tech devices.

"Players are in that age right now, where they love an iTouch or whatever," Saunders said. "Talking to the players, they've all gone through it a lot. It's another resource for them, besides having a playbook. They can see video. They can see the plays on paper. They can see a lot of things."

Saunders told his players in the summer that he planned on doing it, but it still caught some of guys off guard when it really happened. "I was surprised. It was an expensive gift," Caron Butler said about the iPods, which retail at about $200 a pop. You factor in 14 of them and it was a pretty nice investment to spread Saunders's message.

Saunders will pass along updates throughout the season, and keep players on their toes from time-to-time with surprise entries, from what I understand. In addition to watching the players, Butler said Saunders has planned out the entire schedule, from traveling, bus rides, flights, all the way through June. Yes, June.

"Everything. When we leave, whatever you need," Butler said. "You don't have to ask any questions. You don't need nobody to print nothing up, it's already right there."

Dominic McGuire was especially pleased to have the training camp schedule at his disposal at all times. It spares him from having to call teammates Nick Young and Andray Blatche. "Usually, I call Nick or Andray even though they're not always reliable when it comes to that stuff," McGuire said. "What time we got to get on the bus? Now I just reach over. Touch. 'Oh, we got to get on the bus at 9:15?' I love 'em. I don't have to depend on false information anymore."

Told that Ryan should get a raise if the idea works out, Saunders replied, "They all want one, don't they?"

Last night, my friend Lang Whitaker from Slam Magazine sent me a text message after seeing that the Wizards are wearing hats and T-shirts that read, "Our Time." Lang wrote, "You know "Our Time" was what the kids kept saying in The Goonies. I'm just saying ... "

I haven't seen "The Goonies" since I was 8. If you don't recall or are too young to remember, the movie was about a group of kids who find a pirate treasure map and set out on an adventure to recover the bounty. It was a great movie, and I remember loving it at the time, but I didn't remember any of the lines from it. So I went to YouTube, and you guessed it, I found the pivotal scene.

Any chance this makes it to the Jumbotron at Verizon Center?

By Michael Lee  |  September 30, 2009; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Day I, Evening Practice
Next: Day 2, Evening Wrapup

Comments

Heh! You Guys!
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Great pull by your buddy.

Haha, The Wiz-kids as goonies...

Mikey - Caron
Brandon - Antawn
Mouth - Gilbert
Data - Nick Young
Sloth - Fabricio
Mama Fratelli - Ernie Grunfield
One-Eyed Willie - Andray

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 30, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Oberto will probably play 10-15 minutes a night with BTH playing 25-30 and McGee getting the rest."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

As an Apple shareholder, I say, keep up the good work, Flip.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | September 30, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I have to think Saunders will give McGee every opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation. Now, if he comes up short and disappoint, I don't think he'll hesitate to bench him, but I have a hard time imagining him just penciling Oberto in ahead of McGee from day one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 30, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that we probably see McGee at the 4 in some sets, too.

Posted by: Berndaddy | September 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine Haywood at 5, McGee at 4 and Blache at 3 with Caron at 2 and gil at 1...Talk about big line up, eh.

Posted by: Berndaddy | September 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Blatche will get torched defensively at the 3, and we've already seen how well playing Caron at the 3 works.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Aren't the Caps using a similar catch phrase in their preseason this year? Is this a coincidence? Did someone plagiarize?

Posted by: kbates1 | September 30, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Michael, don't forget about this classic from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Spicoli after having a pizza delivered to Mr. Hand's class:

"You know, I have been thinking about this, Mr. Hand. If I’m here and you are here, doesn’t that make it OUR TIME?"

Posted by: docktora | September 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

14 iPods? You mean training camp invitees don't get them?

Posted by: sagaliba | September 30, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Oops. That should be "how well playing Caron at the 2 works." Playing him at SF seems to work pretty well.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 30, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

There's also a scene from "Remember the Titans" when Coach Boone (Denzel Washington) barks out "It's Our Time! Our Time!" and starts explaining a couple of role changes...Then they go on and when the championship game. They were 13 and 0 that season. TC Williams High School, VA State Football Champions, 1971.

Posted by: Zdoc | September 30, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to visualize this and coming up short. You've got Brendan and Fab consuming 35-45 minutes at center. That leaves McGee with 3 to 13 minutes a game -- the max is less than he averaged last season.'

There's no chance Oberto plays 10-15minutes a night unless someone is injured.

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I CAN see Oberto getting 10-15 minutes a night IF McGee fails to make progress on the defensive side of the ball. As we all know last year, McGee was beaten like a drum on backdoor cuts and gave up more than his fair share of offensive rebounds. Saunders has made it clear that he wants McGee to run the floor, block shots and rebound. If he does not do this, he deserves and will get "garbage" minutes.

Posted by: Firuz1 | September 30, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Now, if Saunders can make sure they don't lose the darn things.

Posted by: SteveMG | September 30, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Too much chit chat about IPods...it'll be funny when one of the players loses it or has it stolen and then they'll have to resort back to run and gun.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 30, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"Players are in that age right now, where they love an iTouch or whatever,They can see video. They can see the plays on paper... They can see a lot of things." _Flip Saunders

I'm liking me some flipper but I think I'm about to barf.
The really big question; whose gonna remind these clowns to recharge their batteries. Maybe they can hire a battery coach.

Posted by: midlevex | September 30, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth Flip is saying and doing all of the right things....it makes you wonder what Ernie and Abe have been thinking (or lack of) the last 5 years?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 30, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Can you ask Flip if he had to pay for the ipods himself?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 30, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

...those ipods need to be encrypted. Wes, make yourself useful and call General Dynamics and have do what they did to harden Obama's blackberry to make the Wiz ipods more secure.

If I was Clev or Philly mgmt I would put out a bounty on one of those Wiz ipods once the season starts and the playbook is fully integrated. I'd good odds on NY being the first one to misplace his ipod.

Posted by: oddjob1 | September 30, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I had a similar thought to DC's: what if one of the iPods is lost or stolen? Is another team in possession of part of the play book? What measures are the Wizards taking to prevent this?

Posted by: 7snider7 | September 30, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Saunders likes to play 9-men rotation. So either McGee or Oberto will be in the regualr rotation, but not both. As to which one will mostly be determined by McGee's play in the training camp.

Posted by: sagaliba | September 30, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

So if you cut or trade a player, do they need to surrender their iPod, like surendering playbook?

Posted by: sagaliba | September 30, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"Saunders likes to play 9-men rotation."

I meant to say 8-men rotation.

Posted by: sagaliba | September 30, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I can't talk basketball tonight. I can't get this crazy nightmare scene out of my mind: I think I'm late for an important business meeting, but I'm not sure of the scheduled time. I keep calling Nick and Andray to see if they can tell me - Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!

Posted by: ragtop4spd | September 30, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

It looks like nobody cares about the team getting ipods? I would rather read how Gil's knee felt after practice.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 1, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

do you even watch the Wizards?

Uhhh yeah from Box West row CCC, seats 15 and 16. Where are YOUR seats, scrunk?

It's been well documented that CB was an above average defender while at Miami....when he wasn't looking for his points. I've been the #1 guy complaining about his lack of defense while here but he has the potential top be very good defensively...as does Gil.

Kal has a good point about the best combo starting rather than the best individual talent. You make no good points.

Posted by: original_mark | October 1, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

As for Haywood . . . depends on who the other 59 are. Give me the list and I'll tell you where he fits. Because there've been way more than 60 Cs to pass through the NBA in the past decade.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 29, 2009 5:08 PM

How about this. Ranked against the all of the other centers that roughly play in the same era, how many would you say are better than Haywood. This is just a base opinion and not meant to be too scientific.

The more I think about it, the more I think Haywood fits in the top 20 -25 centers of the past decade.

If anyone else wants to answer, I'd be interested in their opinion.

Posted by: Blurred | October 1, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

i forgot to mention that when you get right down to it. There aren't that many really good centers. For every Shaq, there are 12 "Big Country's"

Posted by: Blurred | October 1, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Everyone in the league knows everyone else's plays (according to a few players and coaches).

The execution is what really matters. If someone loses an IPOD, it's not like in the NFL where gameplans and plays differ so much that teams can gain a competitive advantage by learning another teams plays and formations.

Everyone in the league knew that Stockton and Malone were gonna run the pick and roll but it was still difficult to stop. I think it boils down to talent and, more importantly execution.

As far as AB playing the 3 goes, I believe that the stats also showed that he was most effective at the C position.

Posted by: original_mark | October 1, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Haywood is an average, middle of the pack player at best, and he's really only been at his best for one year in his entire career. The rest of the time he was decidedly below average.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 1, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

YA know how in real estate its' about location, location, location. In Wiz country it's about the knee, knee, knee. It's the number one factor in forecasting the Wiz season. Gil taking timeout is ok news, but makes us wonder -- what's up with that!? How do you figure out number 2 without number 1 on the court doing what he do?

Lemme ask a question knowing Gil's game: If NY was Rip or Reggie, does he start at the 2 or do you start DS saving RF, NY and MM for a second unit? I keep reading that we want the best pairing with Gil and keep thinking I want to see the best rotation that wins games!

Posted by: EWE1 | October 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

T.C. Williams class of '02 right che, right che...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse