God Chose Memphis?

Don't I look happy? (Photo by Joe Murphy/NBAE via Getty Images)

Why does Allen Iverson's announcement that he is headed to Memphis make you feel like his career is already over? Is it because you already know that the elusive championship that he always talked about but never won in Philadelphia and later Denver and Detroit is completely out of his grasp? Is it because the situation with the Grizzlies already looks like a hopeless disaster?

I'll admit, I'm happy that Iverson, the former Georgetown star, was able to find employment. But I'm incredibly disappointed that he will likely have to rot in Graceland. Mike Wilbon spelled out the potential problems with Iverson joining a ball-hogging trio in Zach Randolph, O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay (who will be a restricted free agent next summer and is playing for a contract). Mike Conley has to be the most worried man in Memphis right now. Try pleasing all four of those dudes. If "God Chose Memphis" for Iverson, as he wrote on his Twitter page, Conley is probably asking, "God, why?"

I won't waste your time breaking down why that situation looks terrible. I just wish that Iverson's first dabble with the free agent market had been much more satisfying for him -- and basketball fans. He gets $3.5 million to play in Memphis, which means that Iverson will make his debut in a Grizzlies' uniform against the Washington Wizards in the exhibition opener on Oct. 6 in Richmond. Think that game will have any trouble selling out?

The Grizzlies will draw attention, mostly from people who want to see how badly that thing will play out. Iverson flirted with the Los Angeles Clippers and Miami Heat, but there are so many other scenarios that would've been much more appealing than Memphis. I was rooting for a reunion with Larry Brown in Charlotte. It would've been the perfect opportunity for Iverson to reconcile with the only pro coach who understood what it would take for Iverson to be great; the same coach who abandoned Iverson in his prime. But the Bobcats appear to be in limbo with Bob Johnson looking to sell the team. I would've liked to see him in New York, where the Knicks have been seriously lacking in star power for most of this decade. The nightlife may have engulfed Iverson, but it would've been fun to see him light it up with Mike D'Antoni's offense.

C'mon. I had one bad year. One! (Getty Images)

More than anything, it would've been nice for Iverson to join an actual contender. Since it appears that he is now willing to come off the bench in Memphis, why wasn't he more open to playing that role for a better team that could've used some explosive firepower from the second unit? Most contenders were probably scared off by his aversion to practice, his inability to accept that he can no longer carry a team (the great ones usually are the last to find out) and because of how poorly things ended for him in Detroit, where he made it known that he'd rather retire than come off the bench and couldn't finish out the season because of a (wink, wink) back injury.

But the situation in Detroit was not ideal for Iverson. First, he got traded for the team leader and best friend of almost every player in that Pistons locker room (Chauncey Billups). Second, Iverson has played a certain way his entire career ("clear out; I'll save you by going one-on-five") and wasn't going to blend well with players accustomed to playing the exact opposite way ("let's share the ball guys; five as one"). Third, it was up to an overmatched rookie coach to figure out how to put it altogether -- with no training camp. And, finally, the Pistons didn't even wait for Iverson to arrive in Detroit before they talked about the cap space that his $21 million expiring contract was going to provide the team in the summer.

An all-time great reduced to salary cap relief?

This doesn't excuse how Iverson behaved in Detroit -- he was wrong for skipping practice last Thanksgiving and he never made the sacrifices that he promised he would in order to make it work. But given the circumstances, it would have been difficult for a player of his stature (in Iverson's mind, at least) to thrive.

Now he has to revive his reputation and his career with one of the worst franchises in the history of professional sports. Even before Iverson's season ended with him sulking his way off of a playoff team, I spoke with an Eastern Conference general manager about Iverson's prospects in free agency. The GM told me that it didn't look good for Iverson. When I asked if Iverson would have to settle for the mid-level exception, the GM said, "You think he'll get that much?"

I was kind of stunned, because I assumed that the NBA average salary would be the starting point of negotiations. Then the GM said, "You're not just paying for Iverson, you're paying for all of his [cow patty]."

Now, you're sure about Memphis, right? (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

At that point, I realized that Iverson was going to have a difficult summer. Former Philadelphia 76ers General Manager Billy King, who worked with Iverson for 10 years and traded him to Denver, didn't help Iverson any when he eviscerated the 34-year-old star in the Charlotte Observer a few weeks ago, calling him self-absorbed and stubborn. Ouch. The success of Denver with Billups and Philadelphia with Andre Miller merely sent home the message that teams don't need Iverson to win games.

Even still, it's amazing to me that a player with his Hall of Fame resumé could go this long without finding a job. The man with the fifth-highest scoring average in NBA history at 27.1 points; the man with four scoring titles and one league's most valuable player award; the man who averaged 26.4 points just two seasons ago was treated like a 6-foot bottle of leprosy. You'd think he was coming back from a Leavenworth prison for running an illegal gambling and dogfighting ring -- except Michael Vick didn't have to wait that long to find employment in the NFL.

Iverson's services will likely be wasted on a team headed nowhere; a lousy team that brought him to town because they draw fewer fans per night than the average Beale Street bar. But while Iverson is considered a box office attraction, his ability to bring in floods of people has diminished over the years. Philadelphia's attendance dipped as his one-man show grew stale, and Detroit's string of 259 consecutive sellouts ended with him wearing a Pistons uniform.

So what is he really there for?

To reach 25,000 career points (he's about 1100 points shy)? To play well enough that some contender makes a trade for him at the deadline? It would be easy to assume that he'll be on his best behavior as a one-year rental, but he was in a similar situation on a better team last season and that couldn't have ended much worse.

I have never heard anyone say that Iverson is capable of mentoring anyone. I don't see how Mayo, Conley or Gay will benefit from his presence. It's a shame that someone who had such a stellar career has to go out like this. You could blame the economy but he really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself. Iverson had to take what he could get.

By Michael Lee  |  September 10, 2009; 11:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Collins to Receive Hall of Fame Honor
Next: Hall of Fame Has Local Flavor

Comments

Hopefully Gil will read this and understand he needs to change his game or the same thing will be happeing to him in 5 years!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: prescrunk | September 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

At least we don't have to worry about Lebron learning any lessons from any of this stuff.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Cavs don't make it out of the first round next year due to Kobe-Shaq-like squabbles.

Also, it will be interesting to see if Rasheed can destroy the Celtic charm.

Finally, Vince fitting in with Superman, et al? I don't think so.

Conventional wisdom will be the big loser next year. I'm still waiting for Tampa Bay to dominate the MLB Eastern Division this year as predicted.

Posted by: Izman | September 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan78,

what do you want Gil to change his game to? or will you be critical no matter?

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Memphis really has become the worst run franchise in the NBA.

Posted by: Dellis2 | September 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

G-Man 11

I want him to play team ball first instead of worries about scoring his points.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Why feel sorry for Iverson?

I am not going to cry any tears because he didn't win an NBA title.

This guy went through a number of teams showing his true colors as a selfish player who was willing to go public and criticize his own coaches and teammates to alibi himself.

The fact that he is now physically broken down and not the talent he once was means he has to accept reduced status.

Hey, that's the way the world works.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 10, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

A.I wearing an oversize Memphis Grizzlie baseball at the press conference leads me too believe he's growing his hair back.smh

Posted by: jeremydvid | September 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78

when he was healthy, when was it best for him not to be the scoring leader on the wizards? who did you want him to defer to offensively? Case in point, do you think the game he scored 60 on the Lakers, that if he played the role you want, that they would have beaten the Lakers? Or did you want him to setup Brendan, Etan, Kwame,Jeffries and Michael Ruffin for points? Would they finish layups higher than a 50 percent clip? Layups! Were these players complaining? Were Jamison, Hughes, and Caron complaining?

I do think he can play the role you want him to play better know because the complimentary parts around the Big 3 are way better finisher, but in the past, those complimentary parts were self-check.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan78, I just want Gil to play, period. Say what you will about AI, but last year's "injury" was one of his first, and as Michael Lee suggested, it wasn't real.

Posted by: bugfun1 | September 10, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Mike:

Maybe everything is not about the numbers on the court.

he balled in Philly those years, but even i had to wake up to the reality. Has his game improved? What else can he do other than score? Can he play the point any better now than when he was drafted? Does he make his teammates better at any thing? In the end the only stats you will have for A.I. are points. it's actually sad because I was a big fan!

Posted by: oknow1 | September 10, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

AI will be fine in Memphis. He'll come off the bench but still play starter minutes. And if him, Z-Bo, and Rudy can figure out how to pass the ball around, I can see this team making a push for the 8 seed out west. And if they do that, AI will win 6th man of the year and set himself up for 1 more nice payday in 2010.

Although, I was kinda rooting for him to rejoin Philly. Once Miller left, Philly was left with Lou Williams who ain't nothing but another wannabe Iverson. So why not go and get the real deal? Its not like Billy King is there. And living in Philly before, I know he's still loved.

Posted by: CBell29 | September 10, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

lets at least hope he doesnt treat one of those Beale Street bars like he did the bars on I Street.

Posted by: ryjufox3 | September 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 | September 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Iverson is an idiot, who's career was over long ago.
All because he didn't want too practice !

Practice,,,what-bout,,Practice.
Practice,,,,wee-bee,,, talk-in,,, bout practice.
All Dats go-in on,,, and wee-bees talk-in bout Practice,,Practice.

Posted by: dashriprock | September 10, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"Why does Allen Iverson's announcement that he is headed to Memphis make you feel like his career is already over?"

Because it is.

This is hardly a surprise. Michael Heisler, the owner, has no clue how to run a basketball franchise. Reportedly he was the one who forced this deal through, and it seems to fit right in with the Gasol deal: money over common sense or basketball.

I feel bad for the coach and young players on that team, because they're about to get front row seats to a train wreck.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 10, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Actually AI does not have a bad assist average per game. He is no John Stockton by any stretch and you cant compare him to chauncey which is the shoes he was suppose to fill as far as being a facilitator. But check his assist. They are probably higher career average than GA's and KB's as well."

There's a difference between getting assists and being a facilitator/playmaker.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 10, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The writer of this article is either insane, or has never been outside of SE DC. Iverson is a punk. No one wants him because he can't help anyone win. The idea that it is sad that he is in memphis is only sad for memphis. What kind of incompetent sports writer are you?
My best friend used to wrk out at the same gym 10 years ago with Charles Barkley. he asked him if Iverson would ever win a championship.Way back then, Barley flat out said, "Never, he has no class, and he won't ever work hard enough."

Posted by: stm11 | September 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the sage words of Charles Barkley...

Posted by: crs-one | September 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

He was right. Never won a team trophy. Just sayin'.

Posted by: stm11 | September 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I think it's going to be great fun--I'd put Iverson, Mayo and Conley out there all at once, and just have them jack it up 10 seconds into the clock on every possession. They'd be like an old-school ABA team, losing 140-139 every night.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | September 10, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I like Iverson. If he could put on 20 pounds, I think he'd make a great option QB.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting side note: After the Iverson signing was announced, word came out that the Grizz rescinded their qualifying offer to Juan Carlos Navarro, making him an unrestricted FA.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 10, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

He was right. Never won a team trophy. Just sayin'.

Posted by: stm11 | September 10, 2009 3:51 PM

-----

He was indeed right. Still an idiot. Just sayin:)

Posted by: crs-one | September 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Mike, that is a cold bucket of water you just splashed on Iverson. But, I cannot say you should have made it any warmer.

I have always admired the talent of AI on the court, but totally perplexed by his unprofessionalism off it.

Remember when he refused to shake Michael Jordans hand after a game. It was like Lebron's immaturish act after Orlando beat them.

All that being said, I really believe that AI wants to get it right, but hasn't as of yet figured out how to do so.

You see good organizations and people figure out early it is the whole picture that counts and not a part of it. Showing up for gametime is not enough and just coaching without building isn't enough either.(another story)

Thats why your cold bucket of water on Allen Iverson cannot be discounted atall.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 10, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

AI = Criminal

Maybe he can beat someone with a chair.

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

and DCMAN -

It looks like AP did at least two things right in the last twenty years:

offered Juwan what he was worth

and kept Jordan from continuing to wreck this team.

Obviously AP has made more than enough errors in judgement over the years but at least he saw clearly enough to stop the hemmorhage that was/is Jordan's management abilities.

By the way, you got 65 cents for a cup of coffee?

Jordan played cuz he wanted the glory. He made a bad move. Abe was lucky that Jordan let his ego screw up the deal and we are luckier Jordan is in Charlotte and not here.

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Iverson is the best. I was born in SE DC. I guess I am a stereotype?

Posted by: chinatown | September 10, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

It was good that we were able to let Jordan go (although it may have been handled better).

Even though I rooted for him as a GM and player, in retrospect (and also what he has done with his current team) he was not a good GM and no doubt would have saddled us with non-playoff teams for years to come.

Posted by: cannontl | September 10, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

"and DCMAN -

It looks like AP did at least two things right in the last twenty years:

offered Juwan what he was worth

and kept Jordan from continuing to wreck this team.

By the way, you got 65 cents for a cup of coffee?

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 6:11 PM "

Funny, Abe offered Juwan "what he was worth," but ended up paying more than he had hoped. It was funny how Abe tried to come back with a matching contract as the bus was leaving.

With regard to Jordan, why should he have all the fun? Pass the torch to the next guy to continue the tradition of wrecking the team.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 10, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

EG may not have a perfect record, but I'd rather him than Jordan.

You got any money for a burger? I am hungry.

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

"ha...you are correct there. Obviously offering Juwan what he was worth is only true in hindsight.

EG may not have a perfect record, but I'd rather him than Jordan.

You got any money for a burger? I am hungry.

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 8:58 PM "

Yeah, and I'm sure you were anti Jordan as he was being announced as the next GM.

Hindsight once again.

Yeah, I got some money for your burger...Swing by 1600 Penn and scale the fence. I'll be waiting for you inside. Ignore the goofy guys in the suits and ear pieces.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 10, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

correct again...I was stoked to have MJ come to DC.

Too bad he sucked.

I may be a panhandler, but I ain't climbin that fence.

c'mon man...just a dollar? for a vet?

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mike, good post.

Posted by: satchmore | September 10, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"correct again...I was stoked to have MJ come to DC.

Too bad he sucked.

I may be a panhandler, but I ain't climbin that fence.

c'mon man...just a dollar? for a vet?

Posted by: Blurred | September 10, 2009 9:49 PM "

If you scale that fence, in hindsight, I don't think you'll regret it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 10, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Wiz 2003 game being played right now on NBA TV. I forgot Charles Oakley played for the Wiz. He must have been 50 years old. It's a game against Indiana in which Jordan scored 41 points and the Wiz won. Larry Hughes, Stackhouse, Brendan all in the game

Posted by: ptp23 | September 10, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Iverson said God choose Memphis. Maybe God's sending him to NBA Pergatory for his past sins...

MJ has never put in the work as a GM that he did as a player. MJ the player outworked everybody, hands down, no debate.
MJ the GM has made a string of bad moves, one thing that ties them all together, over and over he failed to do his homework.

Stern brokered the second Wizards deal to Juwan Howard. When the league voided his Heat deal there was a major chance that Howard was going to sue the league for damages. In the process the whole salary cap was going to get challenged.

Since Stern allowed the Wizards a redo, and Howard got a slightly better deal then he had penned with the Heat,David Falk had little grounds to go into court.

I always wondered about the reasoning behind stripping the Bullets of a first round pick in the process. I've also always wondered if Pollin didn't get some sort of hidden compensation from the league to sign Howard once the Commissioner voided his contract with Miami.

Since Howard's second Wizard's deal kept the legue from having to defend a lawsuit challenging to salary cap in court you can see why Stern stepped in.

The whole thing came about because there was a handskake agreement with Mourning to formally ink his deal after Juwan was signed in order to work their way around the cap. If I remember correctly, Falk was the agent for both Zo & Juwan, and a picture of the two toasting with Champagne BEFORE they got Zo's contract out of the drawer was in all the papers.

The second contract offer to Howard allowed the league, Stern, Falk, and Riley, all to get egg off their faces. Why wasn't Miami stripped of a draft pick? Or fined. Why didn't Falk get punished by the league?

In the end it seems like the Wiz got saddled with a very bad contract, AND lost a pick. For what?
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 11, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey! One of the reasons AI can't get a break is because of the media and their sensationalism! Someone can have a stratch and you all milk it into an open wound. Give the man a break! I know he has been a bad boy, but I feel that he's is going to make a difference this year. He is going to go in there at Memphis and bring them up from where they use to be. I predict that Memphis will be a completely different team and it will be because of Allen Iverson. You heard it from Paula B of Alexandria, VA. Count on it.

Paula B.

Posted by: paula123cavtelnet | September 11, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

They could be greatly improved on the court this year. They do have some guys that can put the ball in the hole.

Not a lot of D, but they can put the ball in the hole. Not what you'd call a winning formula in the NBA playoffs, but they could scratch their way into an 8 seed with a near .500 record.

They've got to find a way to entertain their fans and bring some people in the door. AI can carry a team on his back if he's healthy and no matter what, he'll make people pay attention.

His off the court problems sometimes overshadow the fact that he got Philly to the finals while being almost a one man show.

His me and Larry weren't as tight as I thought news conference was a classic.
Practice! We're talking about Practice! But truth be told, lots of NBA stars don't practice during the season. John Thompson says Bill Russell never practiced during the regular season to save his legs.

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 11, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The only time Iverson ever carried a team anywhere was when Brown was running things in Philly and built a team full of guys who were specifically chosen to complement Iverson (i.e., guys who didn't need to shoot (or hold or touch) the ball to be effective). Basically everyone was content to stand around and watch Iverson pound the ball for 22 seconds and grab the rebounds when he missed (which he did often). Every attempt to pair him with actual scorers in an actual offense has produced mediocre results. Pairing him with a guy like Randolph (a notorious black hole on offense) and a bunch of young guys who need PT and touches to develop and be effective is just going to create an ugly tug-of-war for the ball.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say they'd be good, just greatly improved. In the NBA 10-15 games in the win column is a great improvement.

At best they'll be gunning for maybe an 8th seed. Allen's off the court adventures are legendary, but he can ball if healthy and motivated. He needs a contract, so he's motivated. We'll see if he's healthy.

If the rest of the team stays healthy they'll be greatly improved. It's a stop gap measure and not probably in the team's best interests long term.

But Grizzly games need something to bring fans in the door. AI will put fans in the seats and Heisley will be happy cause he's bleeding dollars trying to play a bunch of kids with no chance to win.

And Since they have no other real inside guy, Zack will get his touches. Besides Allen actually has to throw him the ball, Zack's not bringing it up himself. If Zack doesn't throw the ball back to Allen, he'll stop tossing it in. Other guys sulking about lack of touches never really phased Allen too much anyway.

Zack and Allen will most likely bond at the clubs, so they'll be ok for a year.

If they start to win a few games, the young guys will defer to Allen, so when he's on the court he'll be the man, because there's no one else of his caliber on the team. It's a whole different deal then Denver or Detroit where the head coach had other ego's to sooth.

They'll have a hard time ever getting much better then that with Zack and AI as their core.

But that's not the point in Memphis right now...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Given that the last team he joined got worse when he arrived and the two teams before that both got immediately better after he left, there's not much cause for assuming he'll do much to improve a team that's already among the league's worst. He's not a guy whose play fits well into a team concept. And at his age, he's no longer a guy who can make a team better simply by jacking it up at every opportunity (if he ever really was).

"Other guys sulking about lack of touches never really phased Allen too much anyway."

Which is exactly the problem. He doesn't care about making other guys on the team better. He doesn't care about other guys on the team at all. On a team full of young guys trying to make something of themselves, that's a recipe for disaster. If you're the coach of a bunch of young guys who you're trying to mold into the future of the franchise, having Iverson as a role model is not what you want.

"It's a whole different deal then Denver or Detroit where the head coach had other ego's to sooth."

Not different in the least, because Randolph's ego is easily as big as that of anyone in Detroit or Denver, and he's also a bigger coach's and teammate's headache than even the worse knuckleheads on either team.

"35-40 win NBA teams aren't hard to build if you've got a couple of guys that can put up 50+ points a game and you teach the rest of the guys to hustle rebound and make up for the lack of D the stars are playing."

It must be harder than you think, because in the franchise's decade and a half of existence, the Grizzlies have only won at least 35 games 3 times, all when Gasol was there. There's no reason to think that guys like Mayo or Gay can be molded into the role of Iverson's caddies, nor is it really the best use of their talents for the team to do so.

If the Grizzlies win 25 games it'll be a small miracle (and yet, still an actual improvement over last season).

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, the top of Memphis's potential is the 30-40 win range. Now if you want to get in one of your classic pissing contests over the difference between 25 & 30 wins, have at it.

Total difference in Detroit and Denver situations. AI was viewed to be the final pc in Denver. He really never was, they were good, not great. That was Carmelo's team, when Billups got there he made them a lot better. So it wasn't just subtracting AI that improved them, they got a former Allstar in return.

The ego's in Detroit's lockerroom would be no comparison to Memphis or for that matter even Denver. There are no real established players in Memphis, in Detroit those guys won a title with Billups at the point and he got shipped out so another point could start and Dumars could gain cap relief.

And then Hamilton was to go to the bench so AI could start even though everybody knew AI was a 1 year rental, and you say that situation is no different then Memphis?

And in the same post you stated that Memphis has won 35 or more games only 3 times in their existance? Championship team that went to the finals 3 straight times, and the players ego's are no different then those in Memphis?

Wow...Did you actually read that before you hit the send button?

In Memphis the goal is just to start to win a few games to get the fans excited and stop bleeding money. They've never had a pr. of guys that could avg. 50 a night between them except for in those years where they had Gasol and Miller. I really didn't have the time to look that one up, so thanks for making my point. Again...

When you pull your head and foot out of their respective holes, I'm sure you'll type a delightful reply. Have at it...

They get a few wins and the young guys will run with AI because he's been places in the game they're only dreaming of now. I'm not, and have never been an AI guy, but he has the ability to carry a team on his back. He needs a payday, he's motivated, IF he doesn't break down, he'll keep them in the hunt.
GM