Grunfeld 'Excited' About New Season

I know that I've been away for a week, but I wanted to let everyone know that there is no truth to the rumors that I eloped with a Kardashian sister and wanted to sneak in a honeymoon before training camp.

I'm back on the saddle today and I just listened to Ernie Grunfeld's pre-training camp news conference. It was only about 20 minutes, with him rehashing a lot of what he has been saying all summer about this team's desire to make up for their "fluke" 19-win season and return to its status as a perennial playoff team. Overall, nothing exciting.

Of course, Grunfeld was asked about the biggest news in the past week -- Gilbert Arenas's claims to the Washington Times that the organization failed to protect him from himself as he rehabbed his left knee the past two seasons. Arenas has taken some criticism for his revisionist history, but Grunfeld glossed over the issue, refusing to add anything to the controversy.

"I talked to Gilbert about the situation and obviously, you get frustrated when things aren't going well, but the bottom line is, he's healthy now," Grunfeld said. "He's back, he's feeling good and this is his life. This is what he loves to do, hes back on the court and feeling good and willing to take part in everything we do."

Asked to elaborate, Grunfeld said, "You know, look, that's in the past. We've learned some things from it probably and he's learned some things from probably, But the bottom line is, he's healthy, feeling really good and we're going to move forward with it."

After the news conference ended, I again asked Grunfeld if he had any concerns about the perceptions of his medical staff following Arenas's criticism. Again, Grunfeld wasn't going there. "It's behind us, like I said. The only thing we're concerned about is that Gilbert's healthy," Grunfeld said. "He and I talked about it. It happened a long time ago. We're just happy he is where he is."

Grunfeld said Arenas has his explosiveness and quickness back, adding that Arenas was in the gym at 9 a.m. and putting up shots.

Grunfeld has had the busiest offseason since he joined the organization in June 2003. He hired a new coach in Flip Saunders, traded for Randy Foye and Mike Miller and signed free agent big man Fabricio Oberto. Those moves, combined with the healthy returns of Arenas, Brendan Haywood and Deshawn Stevenson, and the development of youngsters JaVale McGee, Nick Young and Andray Blatche have him optimistic about the upcoming season.

"I haven't been this excited in a very long time because of the change that we've had," Grunfeld said. "There is a difference sense around here. There is a different sense around the team. The players feel it. There is a new kind of enthusiasm. There is a new kind of professionalism. There is a new way of doing things that's exciting for us."

Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler have spoken this summer about aiming for a championship, and Saunders said on Tuesday that the team had "the weapons" to compete with any team in the league. Grunfeld repeated, as he has all summer, that he expects the team to get to the playoffs "and when we get there we want to do some damage there."

I asked him what "some damage" meant and Grunfeld said, "That remains to be seen. Flip has definitely raised the bar. He's been there. He's done it. There is no question about that. The last four teams he's coached have been to the conference finals. He's the leader of this team now. He has very high goals for us and our players are buying into it."

Grunfeld continued: "We won 19 games, I don't think we looked at ourselves as a 19-win team, though. We're a better team that that. I like the bar being high. I like the fact that we want to win and we feel good about where are and now we have to go out there and prove it. We have to play unselfish. I think our players have a lot of pride. Last year, for us, was a fluke and now we have to go out there and prove it."

Grunfeld added that the team will invite some more players to the training camp roster in a few days.

By Michael Lee |  September 24, 2009; 4:44 PM ET
Previous: Highlights From Saunders News Conference | Next: Wizards Add To Training Camp Roster

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

first!

Posted by: BBallFOO | September 24, 2009 4:53 PM

Welcome back, Mike. It seems like you had a good vacation.

Regarding Arenas' comments last week, I had a different take than the naysayers seeking to undercut his rationale. In particular, my view is the coach at the time played Gilbert almost 40 minutes a game - after the surgery. That mistake falls on EJ, and secondarily on EG, not GA.

Even the Wiz competitors (e.g., Jason Kidd) were saying Gil's minutes were insane.

Posted by: Izman | September 24, 2009 4:58 PM

yawn

Posted by: prescrunk | September 24, 2009 5:03 PM

See...it pays to complain.

Posted by: Blurred | September 24, 2009 5:05 PM

I like the part about this not really being a 19 win team. Now if we can only be better than a 45 win team.

I think we can.

Posted by: Blurred | September 24, 2009 5:09 PM

PROBABLY? In this organization that means we don't have a clue what we are doing!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 24, 2009 6:07 PM

He's not going to throw his medical staff under the bus. That would be stupid. He got about as close to saying that with his "learned some things, probably" as you're going to see someone in his position admit to the media.

The medical staff didn't do the job to keep Arenas on the floor. EJ didn't stand firm to keep him off the court like a coach should have done in his position. I think we now have a coach who is more secure and that should help. We have a deeper team now which should also help.

Posted by: jon_quest | September 24, 2009 6:24 PM

jon_quest

I would have been a lot happier if he would have said we've learned some things from it and hopefully he's learned some things.

Instead he said both parties PROBABLY learned some things which means he's not sure if the organization has learned anything?

How many years has Abe owned this team,how long has Ernie been a GM and he hopes they learned something from all of this?

This organization is a joke compared to winning organizations!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 24, 2009 6:52 PM

Its time too shut up and put up wizdogs.
If everybody can stay health and with AB in the starting line as im predicting before training camp is over. I see the dogs off to a fast start and never looking back.

Starters on Opening Night:
PG-Gil
SG-CB
C-Breden
SF-Antwan
PF-BLATCE

Trust Me!

Posted by: TheGodFather | September 24, 2009 6:53 PM

I think Grunfeld was just trying his level best NOT to contradict Arenas. As Arenas himself has suggested, his desire to get bak on the court overrode what his knee was telling him. In his first comeback he was favoring that knee from day one. He knew he wasn't ready and played anyway. It's up to him to be honest with the medical staff.

Posted by: Firuz1 | September 24, 2009 7:07 PM

INVITE PROFIT

Posted by: wiz0nova | September 24, 2009 7:24 PM

EG's press conferences are almost as worthless as the Skin's offense.

Why bother asking this dude serious questions when all you get is BS answers.

EG must have been reading up on Bill Belichick's handbook on how to be evasive.

F'n waste of time.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 7:44 PM

I don't see the medical staff mentioned here.

At least it looks like Gilbert learned that the parachute wasn't a real good idea.

Posted by: VBFan | September 24, 2009 7:55 PM

Welcome back Mike!

You probably could have titled this piece: "Grunfeld speaks - 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back".

Posted by: peej9999 | September 24, 2009 8:12 PM

"I don't see the medical staff mentioned here.

Posted by: VBFan | September 24, 2009 7:55 PM "

Ahhh, this is classic Gilby stupidity at its worst.

Let's not blame EJ too much.

Who the F' was it who made a grand come back into the game without giving EJ a heads up beforehand?

EJ only found out when the crowd started cheering.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 8:22 PM

Here are some classic stupid quotes for people to chew on...yes, you homers who don't think Gilby deserves any blame:

"He said his knee is "fully healthy" and that he won't wear a knee brace because it would only serve to remind him of the injury, which ended his season early last April about two weeks before the playoffs. He joked that he might use his recovery as an excuse to opt out of some preseason drills, but said he wants to play as many preseason minutes as Coach Eddie Jordan will permit."

"Three times a week, the pair ride from Verizon Center to the Mall, up Rock Creek Parkway to Military Road and then back down 16th Street. Yesterday, they veered off their course and headed to the track at Cardozo, which they discovered after finding renovations underway at Dunbar High and being asked to leave the field at Howard University. "

""We just kept running and running and running," Arenas said. "Try to run [the limp] out."""I can't actually limp, I can't favor it when I'm running with a parachute" he said. "This is going to be part of my regimen now, because I can see it works." "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 8:28 PM

Welcome back Mike.

In my opinion, one of the overlooked characteristics that separate average franchises from well run NBA organizations is the Team concept. It is easy to see in the importance of Team in the NFL, because so many players must contribute every day, every game. However, for the Wizards to join the elite, everyone must be held accountable to the well-being of the Team.

Is anyone else bothered by this?

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 24, 2009 8:32 PM

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 24, 2009 8:34 PM

"DC_MANN still going for the lifetime achievement award for most annoying blogger who will never go away. Ugh.

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 24, 2009 8:34 PM "

sucks to be you.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 8:46 PM

"You know, I've been thinking about this for a minute now. If an NFL player would have made the comments Gil made about the medical staff, that player would be fined for something along the lines of "conduct detrimental to the team." I really do not understand why most NBA organizations don't demand the same from their players.

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 24, 2009 8:32 PM "

I got two words for you.

Guaranteed contract.

Duh...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 8:48 PM

The first time Gil got hurt, he refused to do the rehab exercises that the PT wanted him to do, and started working out with his trainer instead, riding a bike and running with parachutes and all that dumb stuff. That's not the medical staff's fault. He may be trying to blame them, but clearly, he learned his lesson, because after the third operation, he did exactly what they told him to do. The thing to remember about Gil is that he has no ability to filter--he just blurts out whatever idea gets into his head at a particular moment, whether it's brilliant or incredibly stupid. (Sort of like Sir Charles, actually.) He'll probably go out tomorrow and buy them all diamond encrusted bowling balls to make amends.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | September 24, 2009 10:49 PM

KCANDLC

Posted by: kcandlc | September 24, 2009 11:20 PM

"I am a world class physician and a rabid Wiz Fan. From the beginning it was my opinion that Gil needed some one to guide him and control him thru the rehab period. Gil seemed to think that if he worked hard he would heal faster. The decision was not his [entirely] to make. The medical staff disappointed me and this is not the only time.
KCANDLC

Posted by: kcandlc | September 24, 2009 11:20 PM "

Did you not read that Les BouleS assigned a trainer to watch Gilby?

He was strength and conditioning coach Andrew Cleary

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 24, 2009 11:23 PM

No wonder Ernie tried to avoid the question. He must have known the fans would have responded this way.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 24, 2009 11:26 PM

I absolutely agree with Ernie avoiding the question. Why would he say they've learnt something when that'll be an admission that they did something wrong. Everybody knows Gil pushed himself, even against the advise of trainers. So what were they supposed to do: tie him to the bench?

Posted by: tundey | September 25, 2009 6:50 AM

Grunfeld is old school and media-wary. He's just never going to give Michael or any reporter anything interesting. The bigger issue is the enormous amout of latitude the entire organization gives to whatever Gilbert says and does. Short-term, it keeps Gilbert relatively contented and in the tent. Long-term, I can't think of a championship team that just allowed its egotistical (most of them are) star to get away with whatever he wants. It's not healthy for the player, the team, the coach and the entire organization. They need to start making it clear to Gilbert when he's wrong--for everyone's own good. Not all the time. Not to nit-pick and publicly embarass. But to let him know their are boundries and at times he's got to listen to people.

Posted by: jweber1 | September 25, 2009 7:12 AM

I am a world class physician...

I'm glad someone here who is qualified is finally saying what most of us believed anyway. Certainly some blame goes to Gil but if WE knew he was out there with a parachute, I have to believe that the medical staff also knew.

Up until he went to Grover, he was STILL not rehabbing correctly. It's not like Grover is using some proprietary methods that no other medical staff knows. The thing that struck me in the articles detailing the rehab is when Gil stated that he still would not have been healthy this year if he'd not gone to Grover.
This whole 2 year episode reeks of incompetence on the part of the Wiz medical staff. While I'm not totally absolving Gil, I still think the burden rests primarily on the Wiz. One thing that I dont get is why Gil turned Grover down twice before he said yes this year.

Gil could've been back at or near 100% 2 years ago? We wasted 2 years watching an inferior product for no reason? WTF?!!

Posted by: original_mark | September 25, 2009 8:37 AM

But...

That should all be behind us now and I'm personally looking forward to the next couple of seasons. Now, if we could only get AB to go to ATTACK and train with Grover, our future would be even brighter.

Posted by: original_mark | September 25, 2009 8:41 AM

The medical staff for the Wiz do suck. Plain and simple. That is why Haywood went to a doctor in New York for his wrist and did not rely on the medical personnel here. Also, DSteve had a physician in Miami that he worked with. LEAVE GIL ALONE!! He may be a little eccentric (to put it lightly) but no wants to win more and puts more effort into his craft. So, get off his jock. HIBACHIIIIIIIII!

Posted by: ivyleague | September 25, 2009 8:52 AM

There is a new sherrif in town and his name is Flip. After Gil's performance at Berry Farms, he was pretty much shut down and told to chill until training camp by none other than Flip and he has done just that. So, Gil will listen, you just have to add a little tact with the force.

Posted by: ivyleague | September 25, 2009 8:55 AM

Posted by: jweber1 | September 25, 2009 7:12 AM

how about the Bulls with Jordan...not that I am comparing Gil to Jordan. Just disagreeing a little.

To your point, though, there is a reason that Danny Manning and Derrick Coleman never won squat.

Posted by: Blurred | September 25, 2009 9:01 AM

By Dan Steinberg
Saturday, September 29, 2007
Then he unveiled two red-and-blue parachutes that, when attached to his waist, are meant to increase the explosive potential of his surgically repaired left knee. "Man," he said at one point yesterday, "the stuff I've had to do to get back." Arenas described both his offseason workout regimen and his physical condition. He said his knee is "fully healthy..."

By Mike Jones
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
The leg looked as if it belonged to someone who had been in a coma for a year, not a world-class athlete who a year earlier had signed a $111 million contract. Atrophy set in; signals weren't being sent properly. The muscles in Gilbert Arenas' left leg, in essence, had been switched to "off." "...If I were to classify it on a scale of one to 10 with 10 being the most extreme, I'd say he was definitely in the seven, eight category."

lmao

Posted by: prescrunk | September 25, 2009 9:30 AM

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 25, 2009 9:34 AM

Posted by: original_mark | September 25, 2009 8:37 AM

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 25, 2009 9:59 AM

...At least, not until he hooked up with Grover. And, he apparently turned Grover down the first two times Grover contacted him.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 25, 2009 10:14 AM

Hey, blurred...

The reason I actually think that Jordan-Chicago is a good example of controlling the team star a little (I don't mean ragging on him) is based on:

They traded his pal Charles Oakly to bring in Bill Cartright, which he opposed.

They brought in Rodman, which he opposed, and made him accomodate him.

They encouraged him to give up the ball and the big shots to others, like Paxton, which he resisted and eventually accepted.

They made him play within the triangle offense, which he initially resisted.

I don't mean to beat it to death. I accept that he works his ass off to win. I take the point of the guy who said Flip is the new sherif in town. It's moving in the right direction. I just think the stuff that he's done, like announcing the media when he's sitting or playing, without even telling Eddie Jordan first is unacceptable. But, whatever, I agree we should move on.

Posted by: jweber1 | September 25, 2009 10:34 AM

Gilbert doesn't trust the experts. After all, from the beginning, the experts all told him that he'd never amount to anything.

Instead, Gilbert only trusts a few select people who have believed in him from the beginning, and above all, he trusts his own insight and work ethic. These are what led to his becoming "Agent Zero". As far as Gil is concerned, the experts have just gotten in his way. So, when it came time to rehab from his surgery, he went with what has worked for him in the past-- work harder than anyone else according to the advice of his usual trainers, not the experts. Bit him in the ass this time around.

The good news is that the trainers at ATTACK seem to really know what they're doing, and they seem to have earned their way into Gil's small circle of trust. ATTACK's expertise plus Gil's talent and work ethic-- it's going to be a good year.

Posted by: yop32 | September 25, 2009 11:09 AM

"yes, you homers who don't think Gilby deserves any blame"

Has anyone on here suggested Arenas deserves no blame?

Posted by: divi3 | September 25, 2009 11:30 AM

"I believe the exact opposite, i.e., that while I'm not totally absolving the Wizards' training staff, the primary responsibility for what happened lies with Arenas. First of all, its difficult to assess the degree to which the training staff is at fault, because we don't know exactly what they told him, and what his response was. But what we do know is that it's his body and his career that was at stake. It seems to me that any reasonable person in his position, with a multi-million dollar career dependant on this rehabilitation, would have consulted the top doctors and trainers in their fields and done what they said, regardless of what the Wizards' staff recommended. Arenas didn't do that."

Yep.

When all is said and done, it doesn't matter what kinds of doctors, trainers, facilities, and advice the Wizards made available to Arenas if he refused to use any of it. It's quite common for injured athletes to use their own doctors and trainers to rehab from injury, instead of the team's. If the Wizards offered Arenas all of their resources and he declined, saying he had his own people, what were they supposed to do? Force him to comply at gunpoint? At the end of the day, the decision was his. He made the wrong one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 25, 2009 11:45 AM

Welcome back! Grunfeld knows that the medical staff blew it and is now in denial mode.

Posted by: Fontana1 | September 25, 2009 11:52 AM

Oh Please, Please, Please, for all of you that says it's Gilbert's fault.

If a player usurps that right/responsibility without your permission then you fine him and take his pay.

If the player usurps that right/responsibility and you let him and do nothing then it is all your fault.

Just because a player has a guaranteed contract does not mean he should be allowed to do what he pleases without consequence.

Stop Hatin'. The Wizards blew it, not only with Gilbert but with other players as well as quite a few bloggers have pointed out.

The important thing is though, all our players are healthy now and I do think the Wizards now have a greater appreciation for all it takes to be a championship organization.

A first rate medical program and developing your young players are topping the list. Having a damn good coach has been addressed as well.

Go Wizards!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 25, 2009 1:23 PM

Gilbert did what "HE" thought was best for him to get back on the floor at 100%.
It didn't work.
Shudda wudda cudda.
If I invested millions in someone I would think that I would have some control over how they rehab after any injury. I would protect my investment.
Let's hope that everyone involved learned something.

Posted by: VBFan | September 25, 2009 1:28 PM

"If he is under contract and being paid, then rehab is a organizational responsibility, not a player responsibility."

Players frequently use their own doctors/trainers (or doctor's trainers suggested to them by other players) as opposed to team facilities. As a matter of fact Grover, the guy everyone is fawning over for getting Arenas back to his "old self" does not work for the Wizards and is not accountable to the Wizards organization.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 25, 2009 1:29 PM

Fair enough jWeber1 - good points all. I don't think Gilbert will be as hard to convince as Jordan about what is right for the team. 11 days and counting.

Posted by: Blurred | September 25, 2009 1:42 PM

I was waching the 2006 1st round game 6 washington against cavs.last night.I did evaluate the game, coach and roster very well and agree with the fact that EJ is no more the coach in washington.
1/ That team had only one bench player contributing on both court( AD).
JJ was a starting SG and worked as a center in the second half, he has 3 points and 4 offenssive rebounds and a good defense but it was with the expense of benching BH who had an excellent 1st half.
I am exited how MM, AF, DS NY and AB are going to be options for scoring in 2010.All what cavs. did in that game was put defenders on CB , GA and AJ in the second half.It was clear that they did not need a body on JJ,AD(who demanded a defender at the end of the 4th quarter)and on MR who did noting in that game, not even a single rebound.
2/ I also observed some premature shoots and risky moves on GA, he had 11 assists but i think he will be better as a point when he has options like BH,MM,AJ,AF,NY and CB.
3/the 6 man rotation was the worest coaching approach. He should have used BH and JJ and minimize AJ,s minutes and make it atleast a 7 man rotation.
4/ I would like to see in 2010 buttler's determination to pull 20 rebounds and , 18 points some stills and decent defense.

Posted by: gtefferra | September 25, 2009 3:14 PM

ESPN preseason power rankings:

Wiz come in at 15.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 25, 2009 4:01 PM

Thank You, Kal for completing my point!

Some organizations have a better track record of working with injuried players then others. Shaq and Grant were both broken down and unable to stay healthy before they went to the Suns.

Both have credited the Suns and what some are calling the Holistic approach they are using. There's been a lot of changes in sports medicine and rehabilation. It seems that some organizations are doing a better job then others at staying ahead of the curve in those areas.

I just think it's an area that Flip and Ernie need to upgrade if they are to build a consistant title contender.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 25, 2009 4:13 PM

"Thank You, Kal for completing my point!"

Yeah, right. Nice try.

The fact that players go to their own doctors is not, by any meaningful or reasonable measure, prima facie evidence that a team's medical staff is incompetent. It's simply proof that some people are more comfortable making their own choices when it comes to medical care as opposed to using the ones mandated for them by their employers. That's widely true both inside and outside of sports.

And when someone eschews the options that are provided them by their employers and go "out of plan," then they are ultimately responsible for the consequences of their choices if things go wrong. Arenas rejected the team's recommendations during his previous rehabs and made his own decisions. Ultimately, they turned out to be the wrong ones. That's on him, not the team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 25, 2009 4:27 PM

"After all of this time, Gil finally had to go outside the organization to work at a facility with a proven track record of rehabilitating athletes after serious injury."

The quite obvious problem with that argument is that the main reason it's taken "all of this time" for him to come back is precisely because he went "outside the organization" during the previous injury rehaabs, doing his own thing rather than following the directions of the team doctors and trainers.

Now, if he had scrupulously followed their directions and still ended up in bad shape, then you'd have a point. But he didn't. So you really don't.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 25, 2009 4:33 PM

Thank You, Kal for completing my point!

Posted by: flohrtv | September 25, 2009 4:13 PM

shut up...

how is that NOT going outside the org?? And since when is Grant Hill the paragon of the comeback player? dude had ONE 82-game season this decade rofl

Posted by: prescrunk | September 25, 2009 4:58 PM

"A strength trainer IS NOT A REHABILATION SPECIALIST. Thank you 88'er you made my whole point.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 25, 2009 9:34 AM "

And I'm sure a rehabilitation specialist would have prevented Gilby from hanging a 10-15 lb off his leg while lying in bed.

Eureka! I can see that running the limp out works!

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 25, 2009 5:41 PM

"Arenas rejected the team's recommendations during his previous rehabs and made his own decisions. Ultimately, they turned out to be the wrong ones. That's on him, not the team."
-Kalorama

It's difficult to prove a negative, or so the aphorism goes. None the less, do we know that Arenas would have recovered on schedule without the need for further surgery if he had followed Wiz medical staff advice? I don't think so.

""The surgery, to repair a torn meniscus, initially left Arenas unable to extend his leg. He described attaching 10- to 15-pound weights to his ankle and dangling it off his bed to regain full extension. "Man, that was pain," he said. "
-DCMan

Okay I wouldn't consult Gilbert on a knee rehab.
However I suspect you've never had a surgery that involved the surgeon, a day after the cutting, fully extending, against your screamed protests, the traumatized joint in question.
Happens all the time, followed by the same treatment from the physical therapists, usually with the application of a comforting blanket of opiates. That's how full mobility is eventually recovered.

Posted by: midlevex | September 25, 2009 8:30 PM

The best part of this Grunfeld press conference was when it ended....

Why bother holding a press conference when it's just all marketing BS and evasive responses?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 25, 2009 9:17 PM

The ESPn power ranking does not make any sense.
how on earth the sun are expected to be in play off?can the team win 41 games?
what makes the bulls to be better than washington?
what makes dallas better than the hornets?
to me washington will be on of the top 4 offenssive teams in NBA, one of the top 15 teams in defense, the top 5 teams in steal and shoot blockings and most of all will win 50 games.these automaticaly put them to be one of the top 10 teams in NBA.

Posted by: gtefferra | September 27, 2009 11:40 AM