Jamison Talking Championship

If you say so, Antawn. (AP Photo by Alex Brandon)

When Antawn Jamison looks at the Washington Wizards, he doesn't see a team recovering from an embarrassing and deflating 19-win campaign; a team that has struggled through injuries and first-round exits the past few seasons; or a that should be elated with a playoff appearance in the upcoming season. Jamison sees a championship contender bolstered by the additions of Mike Miller, Randy Foye and Fabricio Oberto and the return of a healthy Gilbert Arenas, Brendan Haywood and Deshawn Stevenson.

"I've been around here for six years and championship talk wasn't a norm around our locker room. That's all we're talking about now," Jamsion said, with less than two weeks remaining before training camp. "If we stay healthy, I think we can compete with the upper echelon of the NBA."

And don't try to tell him that he is raising the bar too high.

"I don't care," Jamison said. "What you mean raising the bar too high? We won 19 games last year and I'll be honest with you, we didn't have a lot of our horses. But I don't have anything else to play for. I'm not going to sit here and sugar coat things because it's not the right thing to say. I believe it.

"I believe playing the game the right way and staying healthy, we can compete with Boston, we can compete with Cleveland and Orlando and if you can compete with those teams, you can put yourself in that category as far as teams that can contend for a championship," he said.

Jamison was speaking from Jefferson Junior High School in Southwest, where the 11-year veteran helped launch a nationwide program, HP Digital Assist. The program, sponsored by HP and the NBA, will give about 5,000 students from 100 middle schools in Washington, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami and the San Francisco area the chance to compete for more than $80,000 in HP mobile digital classroom technology, NBA tickets, player visits and other awards.

After delivering a brief speech and presenting some students with laptop computers and a printer, Jamison spoke at length about the Wizards' offseason and his optimism following a regular season that he called "worse than a disappointing season."

Jamison admitted that he was upset with the results in his first season under the four-year, $50-million contract he signed in the summer of 2008. Jamison was expecting to at least make it to the playoffs, not contribute to matching the worst season in franchise history. He played 81 games, missing out on the season finale because of an ankle injury that eventually led to him having surgery to remove bone spurs in May.

"I put in a lot of work this summer," Jamison said. "I'm not doing this just to be doing this. I really believe this can be a special team and if you go about it the right way, it can be a special year."

I'm trying to reach new heights.( Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images North America)

His attitude toward the team has changed dramatically after the Wizards hired Flip Saunders, made the trade for Miller and Foye, his offseason workouts with Haywood in Charlotte, and conversations with Arenas, who has been working out with renowned trainer Tim Grover in Chicago.

Jamison said Arenas is back to being the confident, braggadocious player he has grown accustomed to playing with for all but four seasons in his career. "I think you're going to get as close Agent Zero as possible," Jamison said. "He has that swagger about himself now. The way he's been talking about certain games have been going for him, pickup games. [He said,] 'I'm splitting double teams again, between the leg.' I'm like [shakes his head]. That's something he hasn't been talking about lately. He's getting closer."

"The thing about this team is, everybody has a chip on his shoulder. You got guys coming back and saying, 'Am I going to come back and be the same player I was before the injury?' You got guys trying to get new contracts. You got guys trying to make a name for themselves. And you got me, trying to lead this team to a championship. That's the only thing that we should be playing for. I think everybody has that mentality."

And Jamison can't contain his enthusiasm. "I'm happy. I love what we have. I love what the organization did. If we stay healthy, the sky's the limit. We have great team chemistry. Guys pull for one other. We've got a new captain of this ship and I love the way he's talking," Jamison said of Saunders. "I love his intensity. This guy's resume speaks for itself. He's accustomed to winning 50 games on a regular. I know he doesn't want to come in a situation and not be close to that. He's accustomed to being on teams that contend for a championship."

Seriously, a championship?

"I'm not afraid to say it all. If we come up short, I mean, it's going to be sad," Jamison said. "I don't plan on accepting winning 40-something games, making it to the playoffs. weve already accomplished that. There's only one thing we have left to accomplish and that's contending for a championship. If that's not the mindset of this organization and my coaching staff and my players, then I don't need to be here.

"If it's not possible, then there's no need for me to be here at all," he said. "That's one the reasons that I signed here ... Last year, put the stamp on a lot of things. Because that was tough. But I can't accept not being able to accomplish the most important thing --what we're trying to do is win a championship. I believe we have what it takes. If it don't get done. it doesn't get done. I'm not going to waste my time, putting on a smile and just playing hard. I think we all deserve the opportunity and I'm happy."

By Michael Lee  |  September 15, 2009; 3:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'There's Not Going to Be Another Michael Jordan'
Next: Morning Buzz

Comments

If he truly thinks that the Wizards can win a title next season, either he's nuts or I am. I hope its me!

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

...but I don't think it is.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"as a man thinketh, so is he."

I would rather see the players think they can win a championship and the fans writing why they can't then the other way around.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree bulletsfan. A reasonable outlook or not, I'd rather have them thinking that way than not.

Posted by: AhhYes | September 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

As Eddie would say start out of the gate Strong and "Save your nuts". Taking Cleveland, Boston, LA, and Orlando to the Woodshed early would be a good start.

Posted by: liveride | September 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting to hear what the team captain thinks about the off season moves. Nice to hear Jamison's got a positive point of view on the off season moves.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Personally I don't see a championship in their immediate future, but I can certainly understand Jamison thinking otherwise.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice, but I'd rather see a story entitled, "Jamison Talking Defense".

Posted by: Izman | September 15, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"as long as we play the game the right way"
what does that mean? pass me the ball and get ready to rebound. optimism is a good thing. i'm glad guys are thinking positive. i'd like to hear AJ's assesment of the young guys after a few days of "training camp"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 15, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

championship is possible. not likely but possible indeed. I really believe he is right that the Wiz can compete with the best teams in the East...and that means they can compete with anyone. Certainly, alot has to go right for this to happen:
1. Health
2. Blatche and McGee stepping up
3. Team must compete on the defensive end

That said, the offensive firepower and depth is there...I wouldn't be completely floored if it does result in a championship.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | September 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

jamison be smokin with whitney and bobby

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn is def gonna start at SG imo

Posted by: prescrunk | September 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Jamison's attitude as captain is critical to turning around this team's fortuntes....he's towards the twilight of his career and could have asked to be traded to a contender like Cleveland or Orlando in the offseason. Right or wrong, he thinks a healthy Wiz squad with a new coach who has won elsewhere and contended for championships is the remedy. Even if we don't contend for a championship, it should be the goal of the organization to do so if it has the talent and coaching. Glad to hear that Jamison has that type of attitude and hope it rubs off on the other players like Arenas, Butler, and Haywood. This team shouldn't be satisfied winning 45-50 games and getting bounced in the first round.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 15, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

As Izman sort of already pointed out, in all of those quotes from Jamison, he didn't mention the word "defense" once.

So all his talk is just talk, kind of like Steinberg's Bog post about the Redskins thinking that their offense should be blowing people out.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | September 15, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for Jamison. I think Butler and Arenas feel the same. Let's see what happens!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | September 15, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I love how people pounce on Jamison, like he's the only guy who doesn't ply defense, while utterly ignoring the fact that he's one of the few who does enough in any other phase of the game to actually counteract his defensive shortcomings.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 15, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

and i love how ppl pounce on Stevenson, like he's not the only guy who does play defense, while utterly ignoring the fact that he has been one of the few who can also hit 3 pointers

Posted by: prescrunk | September 15, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

And if Les BouleS can't even compete, will he give back his salary? Whatever....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 15, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Never underestimate the power of the right mental philosophy in an organization, a team, and the player/s.

Mental attitude and philosophy channeled properly can mean everthing.

Those are some of the best comments I have seen from Jamison to date. It is heartwarming and clearly those comments I can see can easily be the focus of not just him but others throughout the Team and the organization.

When you look at what Orlando accomplished last year, you have to know that a Team like the Wizards must believe, should believe, and know that they themselves can accomplish the same.

I applaud Jamison for planting the seed early. This ain't about the small picture, but about whether or not you have the capacity to win/contend for winning a championship.

You know he must have been inspired by that Michael Jordan speech.

Go Wizards!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 15, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

...I assume the players vote on who the captians will be during training camp. Is GA going to be willing to be a third co-captain with AJ and CB this year? Or will it just be AJ perhaps, as CB really did not show much leadership last year. AJ's statements are purposeful and well timed. In fact I have been waiting for someone on this team to step forward and make these proclamations. If the young guys see that AJ, CB, GA, BTH, DSteve all believe, it should be helpful in their taking the next step toward being a consistent force on this team.

Posted by: oddjob1 | September 15, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

Being a good leader doesn't stop at saying the right things. AJ has to lead by example which I believe means stepping up and playing some defense when the game is on the line. I also think he needs to take AB under his wing by showing him how to play the game and how to keep focused while sitting on the bench.

Time will tell if this team has what it takes to win a championship. As the old saying goes action speaks louder than words!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 15, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

All Flip needs to do is get the team to the second round and there will be dancing in chinatown.

Posted by: time1 | September 15, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Do it 'Tawn, do it. Have something to look back on the rest of your life. Eastern Finals, Finals, or Championship, it's all possible with this roster with the right adjustments and effort. Just take November strong, don't screw up the first month like usual. Basketball in DC in late May/early June, oh yeah!

Posted by: ragtop4spd | September 15, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

What are you doubters expecting the captain to say? We got no shot before the first jump ball is even tossed? What the hell.

AJ is a professional athlete. Anyone in the NBA -- from Kobe to the worst player on the worst team -- has got into the league by being an elite player in high school, college, whatever and has a personal history of being a winner. You can't get there without confidence in yourself and your team.

F all the smart azz comments. If AJ thinks we can be an elite team, I want him to say it out loud and get the rest of his teammates to get into the public square and make the same proclamation...that then puts their pride on the line to make said proclamation happen.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | September 15, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

That's the right attitude to have!

Posted by: msveasey | September 15, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Love Jamison's positive mental attitude going into the new season. Oh, by the way, my attitude towards life has also changed. I think I can hit the lottery now! Don't wake me up, please!

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 15, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

This is THE year for this team to finally prove what Wizards fans have been debating over for years now right before the injury plague began. Can the trio of GA, AB, & AJ with now the best supporting crew they have ever had running beside them make some real noise?

I too applaud AJ for using his leadership skills to wet the appetites. Let's be honest - its been a long time since we've had this much talent in Washington. There's no doubt this will be an exciting year and its been a painful wait the last couple of seasons...

The wait's almost over.

Posted by: TheBrightestSun | September 15, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

First of all that has to be your mindset, otherwise why even play the season if it's not your goal... it's the whole point of the season!

But I do agree with him. They can compete with Orlando, Boston, and Cleveland. And they've proven that when they've been healthy. I think Miller and Foye will be huge for us. The big three + Haywood will be in top form. Guys like McGee, Blatche and Young will begin to step up. Oberto, Stevenson, McGuire, Javaris will prove to be solid role players.

Posted by: Darnell1 | September 16, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Sure, it's probably a bit too optimistic, but believing you can't win it all leaves you with no chance at all. He's right that this team can be a contender in the East. Not the favorites, but a contender. And once you believe you're a contender for the conference, it follows naturally that you're a contender to win it all.

I'd rather the team shoot for the stars and fall short than aim to simply make the playoffs and be doomed to another first-round exit because they're just happy to be there.

Posted by: Brashnir | September 16, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

One thing that was said about Jordan is that every night he went out there he thought he could win. Why even play the game if you don't have that mindset? I bet you that mindset won more games for Jordan than any of us would guess. Who are these Wizards haters? Do you all actually believe that our team sucks? You suck! Our team is freakin' awesome, no worse than Orlando, that's for sure. Three hungry all-stars, a 6th men of the year and rookie of the year (Miller), great team chemistry, young players with hops and skills... what do you want, a team of MJs?

Posted by: jistutz | September 16, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

testing testing testing

Posted by: jenksredskins | September 16, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

I dig the positive attitude. I think the team is still too raw/underpowered up front to contend. Perimeter teams can win during the season, but never go all the way in the playoffs when opposing D's truly contest every shot. Aside from the obvious question mark - Arenas - this team's fortunes hinge on the development of Mcghee, who will be sorely needed to compliment the steady Haywood. If Blatche can develop into only an average, albeit CONSISTENT player this year, it would also help the team greatly. While I'm not the optimist Jamison is about this team's chances, there are enough compelling questions about it that it should at least be an interesting season.

Posted by: SammyT1 | September 16, 2009 3:32 AM | Report abuse

There are no teams that the Wizards need to be intimidated by this year. I do not see any dominate and imposing teams in the NBA nowadays. Admittedly the Wizards are not as talented as the top contenders, but they are the next bracket down which makes them dangerous to the top contenders. If they get on a roll in the playoffs anything can happen. Besides, playing for a championship is better than playing for pride. We all know that.

Posted by: MeviousMan | September 16, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't it one or two seasons ago when the team was so full of itself during the preseason that everyone said they didn't have to practice offense, just defense, because they were so good?

Then, they proceeded to lose the first x number of games in a row because the offense couldn't hit the side of a barn?

Yeah, preseason boasts mean nothing.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 16, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

I second Izman. Good to hear the propaganda but would have been better to hear more about his personal commitment to shore up his weak areas.

Posted by: original_mark | September 16, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

In the infamous words of Iron Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get hit. Let's hope that this positive thinking will carry through if the team doesn't get off to a good start. Which is a good possibility since there is a new coaching staff, new players, and players returning from injury,which all have to come together in a short period of time.

Posted by: kfrazec | September 16, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

original_mark

Unfortunately, I don't think Jamison considers the fact that he doesn’t play “D” as a weak area.

Great players work on their weaknesses, but we all know AJ is not a great player….just a stat guy?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 16, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

You lie. Oops that would be Joe Wilson!

This should be the most exciting season for the Wizards that I can recall since the Hayes/Unseld days. Barring injury this team will be exciting and will win enough games to be a 3rd to 5th seed.

Go Wizards.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | September 16, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

Jamison's perceived lack of defensive prowess will not be a liability and has not been to the degree that his detractors indicate.

Do you understand the phylosophy behind the plus minus measurement? You probably do, but you and Jamison detractors ignore it.

It simply means that based on your play, you end up + or - depending on what you did on the floor. Jamison's lack of defense is never preponderant enough to give him - grades.

What you get from Jamison on the floor is one of the best performances in the League game in and game out.

Any scoring offensive player like Jamison that rebounds like he does is a player opposing Teams must contend with.

The lack of individual man up smash mouth play that you and others continually criticize Jamison for is not as huge of a liability/negative for himself or the Team.

The defensive philosophy put into place by coaching plays a huge role in individual play and perceived flaws may not be flaws atall.

And yes action does speak louder than words and there has been some significant action taking place with these Wizards this offseason.

BulletsFan78, don't let the trees block your view.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 16, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

A pretty good article this morning in the Washington Time on Arenas and his recovery and work with Tim Grover:

Posted by: cannontl | September 16, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Why not? Celtics went from 24 to 66 wins and an NBA championship.

Posted by: rockbroker | September 16, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Jamison's solid attitude isn't prevalent in the Redskins locker room.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | September 16, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Gil blames the organization for not holding him back, but forgets he turned down working with Grover two summers in a row.

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

And the continual harping on Jamison for lack of D really makes no sense. The league is chock full of successful, productive players who aren't defensive minded. Jamison is never going to be a great defender, he simply doesnt have the lateral quickness for it.

Get over it, and appreciate him bringing it EVERY night to the tune of 20/10 or thereabouts.

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I read Wiz Insider on the regular; incidently, Mike Lee, you do a great job with column - keep up the good work. I been a Wiz\Bullets fan since first season at the old Cap Centre as the Capital Bullets. IMO this is the deepest, most versatile team since the Unseld, Hayes, Chenier teams of the 70s. On paper this team is easily the 4th or 5th best team in the East. One of the keys to this team is we are one of the few teams in the NBA that have a legit center who can take up space and defend if we have to play a seven game series. Yeah, injuries have hurt us in the past, but injuries can hurt everybody else too.

I appreciate Ernie Grunfelds patience in not breaking this up, because our big three do not have to play big minutes over an 80+ game season like they have had to do in past. We think that Blatche, McGee, McGuire et all have to step up - they really do not have to step up that big. With 15-20 minutes quality minutes from the entire bench over the entire season this team will when 50 games.

If you really examine this team and the rest of the East - the Wizards are a contender and can beat any team in the east in a seven game series.

Posted by: skinniedee62 | September 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"Until they throw the the Ball up in the air we're still in last place".

Gil doesn't need a theme to motivate him this year cause all of the talk about him being done, and the Wizards being a mess, should be enough to motivate him.

Grunfeld's had a very solid off season, adding Flip Saunders and his staff was a really good first move. I think Sam Cassell is going to be a top notch assistant, and I can't wait to see the effect of his summer's work with Crittenton.

Mike Miller and Foye for the 5th pick and Thomas, Songaila, and Pecherov, sure could end up looking like a steal. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Pec break through and get some playing time in Minn.

But in my book Foye's the key, he could be just the kind of Combo guard that really blooms beside Gil.

The Oberto move was bigger then many think, in effect the Wiz swapped three frontcourt players and the 5th pick for a starting caliber guard, a great 6th man who can rain in 3's from either the 2 or the 3. And a wiley, tough vet that has some strength and size to play the 4 & 5.

There was a great debate after the Oberto signing as to if he would be able to mentor Blatche and McGee. Let me put it a little different way.

The depth chart is open to both Blatche and McGee to step up into a major role. My bet is that Flip starts camp with Oberto ahead of both of those guys. If they want to get on the floor they're going to have to earn it.

That means get ready to get tough in the lane and duel one of the league's tough vets in the paint. Oberto's played along side Thomas and Duncan at San Antonio, he's been the guy that's done the dirty work down low and he knows the tricks of the trade in the lane.

Blatche and McGee may move past Oberto on the depth chart. They won't do it without getting smarter, working hard, and and getting a few bruises...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to that Wash Times article. I really like the humility and seriousness of purpose that is coming off Gil right now. Maybe a few years of age and a few trials and tribulations have matured him. Let's hope.

On the other hand, in a troubling avoidance of responsibility, there was this interesting passage:

"Still, Arenas to some degree blames the club for his failed comebacks over the past two seasons, saying he was given too much power over his own situation.

"If you have a kid that loves basketball, that eats, sleeps, drinks and thinks basketball and all he knows is basketball and he gets hurt and he's your franchise player, you need to hold him back from himself," Arenas said. "If I'm saying I feel good and you know it's supposed to take six months, instead of letting me at four months run ... they should have held me back. Rather than saying, 'Let's let this guy do what he wants and use him to sell tickets' - sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. I don't feel like I got that type of protection. But, I don't judge them for that. Some things just happen. I told them I felt OK because I wanted to play, and they did what they did."

That's quite an accusation and he's not just referring to the much-maligned Wiz medical staff, but to someone in the Wiz organization with an interest in selling tickets. Eddie Jordan? Ernie Grunfeld? Someone at WSE? Abe Pollin?

Posted by: Prazak | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I shouldn't have said that about the trials and tribulations without qualification. I think Gil's been through plenty of those in his life, just maybe not since his ego inflated to throwing $five-figure birthday parties for himself a few years back.

Posted by: Prazak | September 16, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

From an article on the Times' website today about Arenas' comeback:

Arenas credits Mr. Grover, who earned his reputation for his work with former NBA superstar Michael Jordan, for bringing that painful saga to a conclusion and says he harbors no ill will toward the Wizards' doctors and trainers.

"They handled me going off what they had seen before and said, 'You can't lift weights because you might chip a bone,' " Arenas said. "That's their experience. Everybody has theirs. It took me two years to realize that I was a case study. Ultimately, I can prove I can get hurt, sit out two years and come back and be as good as I was.

Gee, Gil, its great that you don't hold any grudges against the Wizards' doctors and trainers because they didn't protect you from yourself. Imagine the nerve of those guys, thinking that you might know more about your body and how its feeling than they do, and thinking that you should be the one to take the ultimate responsibility for the rehabilitation of one of your body parts, and not them.

Personal responsibility. It's a great concept. Try it sometime

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 16, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

If Gil returns to camp "even better then before" the Wiz should consider using Grover's services as a rehab consultant much like many teams use Dr. Andrews as a consultant.

I understand that Butler was also to spend a few weeks in Chicago at Grover's facility as well. I wonder if Butler did, and if it will lead to any change in his workout routine.

It's interesting that various teams have been moving toward a more holistic approach to their team care. They've combined medical, diet, stretching, rehab, and practices such as massage, accupressure & puncture, chiropractic, in a more total care approach.

Shaq credits the Suns with getting him able to play again after suffering from foot problems over several years with the Heat.

Ernie brought in Flip and a mostly new staff to change the culture on the court. After reading the article about Gil's condition when he arrived at Grover's facility, Ernie really should review the Wizards' approach to keeping players' on the court.

Abe's forking out the money to pay the Luxury Tax to pay for this roster. Can he afford not to provide the best care possible to keep his investment healthy?
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

'Imagine the nerve of those guys, thinking that you might know more about your body and how its feeling than they do, and thinking that you should be the one to take the ultimate responsibility for the rehabilitation of one of your body parts, and not them.'

Actually people dont know their own bodies best in the case of these complicated rehabs. And it is an issue that our med staff let Arenas do whatever he wanted, when they probably knew better. Came down to Gil (imho) having carte blanche with the franchise and not having anyone tell him anything he didnt want to hear.

Even an idiot like me was surprised and nervous reading Gil's quotes during his 1st rehab, his workout sounded (and was) made up by himself and we saw the results.

So yes, there was a failure on the organizations part to rehab him.

However it is ludicrous he talks as if he would have accepted the Zards' staff limiting what he did and controlling his rehab every step of the way. No way, Gil was all about Gil then.

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Cant say I am thrilled to read Gil's latest thoughts on his style of play. Sounds like his ideas to be more of a traditional pg were based on fears he would never be his old self again.

Now that he is really feelin it like he used to, he seems to be swinging back towards wanting to light it up like he used to.

But whatever...Gil at 100% and relative good health everywhere else means this team will compete for the East. Cant ask for much more than that after a 19 win season

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Winning isn't everything, but striving to win is." - Coach Vince Lombardi
Good to know that AJ and some others are positive and care. Now if the Wiz had a couple of top players.... Everyone is, at best, a complementary paly like Googs was.

Posted by: lrmc623 | September 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I cannot fault my doctors for not making me take my blood pressure medicine, thats all my fault. But...

If I am an organization and I am paying someone millions of dollars to perform physically for me, you bet it is my fault if they get injured and I donot protect my investment and demand they rehab properly.

It's not like he had a broken pinkie finger. He had a major knee injury.

Thats why medical clauses are put in contracts and fines imposed.

Yes, it was every bit the organization's fault to let a basketball player determine his own rehab from a major injury like that especially with todays medical innovations/science.

It is a credit to Gilberts drive and dedication that he is still around, for there have been many that have never made it back from similar injuries and are long gone from the League.

Anybody remember Hotplate Williams.

LarryInClintonMD.

And GM, you are right, they probably need to evalute the approach of their medical staff.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Jamison has always been a believer in playing to win, regardless of the odds -- even last year, when so many were urging the team to sit the vets and play kids for the 'experience'.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't see a thing wrong with AJ shooting for the stars. A winner begins by believing they can win. You take any championship team and you will find in order for them to be in that position they had to believe it first. First you must coneive it, then believe it and then work your arse off to achieve it. Go Wiz!

Posted by: ivyleague | September 16, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

As for Gil, they told him to shut it down at Barry Farms and he did. I do think they should have been more forceful with him and they weren't. Eddie prety much let him do what he pleased. Not Flip, when he got wind of Gil at Barry Farms, he was like, uh Gil, you need to focusing on getting ready for training camp. He did not come right out and tell him not to participate but Gil got the message and you have not heard or read about him playing another game at the Farms.

Posted by: ivyleague | September 16, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 12:11 PM

GM,

This is why I call the old man cheap.

It's not only about going over the luxury cap, it's also about providing the best workout facilities, hiring (either full time or as a consultant) a great medical staff to keep these athletes in shape, and having the best head and assistant coaches.

Do you think Jerry Buss cared about how much Tex Winter was getting paid? People on here don’t care if we get a big man coach but if you look at the progress Howard is making down in Orlando I am sure he would give some credit to Ewing.

To win a championship or be the best at anything you have to be fully committed!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 16, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"Anything Is Possible" Kevin Garnett
Somethings are improbable but can happen. This city and team needs a parade.

Posted by: jeremydvid | September 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

as much as i love hearing one of my Wizards mention championship. I would be happy if we make it to the eastern conference finals, or win a division, or win 50 games in a season and have a few all star event participants. But other than that, I love hearing Championship!

Posted by: mrhney03 | September 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Anybody hear about the rumor that the police are arresting Andray Blatche for sexual assault??

Posted by: LooseCannon1 | September 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

^not funny.

btw: “The warrior's always gonna win,” Arenas declares. “If you can't beat out our best defensive guy, then you're not gonna play. Until they take it from DeShawn, they're not going to start...

suq it, WE

Posted by: prescrunk | September 16, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

div, Larry, don't get me wrong. I'm not letting the Wizards' staff off the hook here. They clearly deserve part of the blame for the aborted comebacks. My only point is that it's Arenas' body and Arenas' career, and it's disingenuous of him to ignore medical advice as to when he should return, and then blame the team for not stopping him from doing it.

As for the rehab being so complcated that Arenas might not have known whether in fact he was ready to come back, the Times article goes on to say that before Grover helped rehab it, Arenas' leg looked like it would have if he had been in a coma for a couple of years. You're telling me that Arenas (and the Wizards' staff) couldn't have noticed that and realized that he was coming back too soon?

The Wiz deserve part of the blame for this fiasco, but I continue to believe that the primary responsibility is Arenas'.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 16, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I like hearing Jamison saying that the Wizzies are playing for the championship. I also like hearing Gilbert saying he is going to light it up this year. Both positive statements.

If you believe it you can achieve it.

I believe it today will I believe it in January?

Posted by: VBFan | September 16, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Scrunk, I was not joking around. I am being serious. My friend said he was listening to Elliot in the Morning and a police officer called in and said they are serving Blatche an arrest warrant for sexual assault. As of now this is hearsay, that is why I asked if anyone heard anything else about it.

Not trying to be funny.

Posted by: LooseCannon1 | September 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Winning isn't everything, but striving to win is." - Coach Vince Lombardi

Posted by: lrmc623 | September 16, 2009 12:30 PM
___

I was with you until you said everyone is a complimentary player like Googs was. This team has at bare minimum 3 players that are better than Googs right now. A couple more that you could argue are as good or better than he was - Foye, Miller. And, a couple more who could very easily become better players than he was. Lost me on the Googs analogy obviously.

Larry,

If we are thinking about the same Hotplate Williams, he ate his way out of the league. It was not injury that did him in.

I like Jamison's statements a lot. Whether they realistically can win it all this year a lot will have to go their way. Talent wise they are not out of the ballpark to win a championship, however.

As for Gilbert deflecting some blame on the organization. If he is so self aware, he should have done what he was told and not pushed things. From what I remember, he was hell bent on doing things his way and as a franchise player had the organization at his beckon call. Two points there: One, not sure he was not told or warned to do some of the things he did like the parachute running and bicycling all over the city. Two, if they didn't say anything and had done so, I highly doubt GA in all his quirky splendor would have listened. Part of what makes him a great player, hurt him in his rehab.

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 16, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

John "Hot Plate" Williams, as I remember it he had one of those massive knee blowouts(MCL and ACL and torn meniscus). That was in the days when they left zipper like scars all over your knee when you had a major blowout.

He never regained his full ability from before the surgery and then his weight started to get out of control. That guy had some fantastic talent before that injury. I really felt bad for the guy, he could have been a big star in this league.

When came back he was trying to play down low in one of those massive knee braces. It was like watching a 40 yr. old Magic playing power forward.

I really questioned in my mind the timing of Gil's comebacks when it was said that he had microfracture during the second surgery. The cleanout procedure after microfracture apparently isn't unexpected.
Guys are out any where from 1 to 2 yrs most of the time with Microfracture. Gil tried to play in the playoffs just months after the second procedure?

Couple of questions the Times article brought to my mind. Did the Wizards pay for Gil's rehab with Tim Grover, or did Gil? And did the Wizards recommend that Gil rehab with Grover, or was it his decision?

And finally when Gil turned down two invitations to rehab with Grover, who suggested that Gil go? Did Grover offer his services directly to Gil? Or was it done through the team?

Anyway, as they say "third times a charm".

What is the role of a point guard anyway, Gil said he's going to attack. A point that's quick enough to beat his man off the dribble and finish at the rim is almost impossible to stop under the current "hands off" rules in the NBA.

Playing with a point that can breakdown a teams' D will do wonders Jamison, Butler, and Miller's games. Don't forget Miller's most effective year's were at Memphis when he was paired with "White Chocalate" and his attacking style at the point.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

When a guy breaks down your D, it's not hard to find and cover one shooter. Two gets difficult, but when the Wiz can put three knockdown shooters on the floor at the same time with Gil they're going to be tough.

Jamison, Butler(he's been taking up to 1400 shots a day),Miller, Foye, Young, and DeSawn(when he's healthy). Flip's going to have a field day drawing up plays with this group.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Abe should be willing to provide the best care possible for his team. One wonders what condition Gil would be in now if he had not hooked up with Tim Grover this summer. Would we be in for another season of injury and rehab?

Posted by: cannontl | September 16, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 16, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

GM, if you look at that Gilbert Part I video that's on the Wiz website Grover makes it sound as if he had reached out several times to Gilbert, and that this time he did so through Larry Hughes and found success. Maybe the Wiz organization was also so recommending, but Grover anyway seems to have gotten the deal done via Larry, not the organization. I'm also curious to know who's paying.

Posted by: Prazak | September 16, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Uh-huh. I'm talking about having a torrid affair with Salma Hayek this year. Doesn't make it likely...

Posted by: ogyu | September 16, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

Here we go again, from 19 wins to a championship with no defense, no physical play. Are you kidding me, sure he'll get 20 points, flipping it up through the middle, shooting 3s, getting rebounds that for the most part, anybody starting at the PF position on this team would get with those minutes. He had the nerve to say that he'll lead this team to a championship, No Way. If the team captain(leader) plays no defense and is not physical, don't expect the rest of the team to do it. What's the measuring stick here in the NBA, for me, its Michael Jordan, he played GREAT defense. Antwann doesn't play a little defense. He's not going to hit game winners, he's not going to get that clutch lose ball or rebound, he's a complimentary player, not a leader. Leaders are not afraid of physical contact, thats what it takes in this league and he just doesn't have it. Wiz will win 40 and some change and be bounced in the first round.

Posted by: stingem1 | September 16, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Gilby is a joke...once again....it's "me time."

"All-Star's not my goal. I never wanted to be an All-Star. All-Star is the 24 hottest players at that time. All-League? That's my goal," said Arenas, who was named to the All-NBA second team in 2006-07 and twice made the third team. "All-League is only 15 players. So All-League and to play as many games as possible. That's it."

Never wanted to be an all star? Is that why you played even though you were injured? Is that why you participated in the 3 point contest even though you were in injured?

Gilby is a joke. I'm sure EG is loving this...yeah right.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 16, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Another thing, AJ thinks they can win a championship because they added Foye, Miller and Oberto....WHAT!!!!!!. Normally around this league when trades happen for teams that are contending its because they've added names like Garnett, Allen, Gasol, Oneal.....enough said.

Posted by: stingem1 | September 16, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

This team's attitude should be (and apparently is) that we missed 2 fricking years of development due to injuries. And that now if everyone is healthy, it's time to achieve like a team that had been on the upswing the past 2 seasons rather than treading water and/or in shambles.

Great attitude from AJ, and you want to see nothing less from the team's captain.

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sure all you naysayers would be applauding Jamison if he said "I think a 43 win season should be our goal" right?

Posted by: divi3 | September 16, 2009 7:22 PM "

I'd be applauding MeTawn if he would just STFU and play D and score some points in the low post instead of jacking up 3's.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 16, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Punks will be punks.

Posted by: Prazak | September 16, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bford1kb | September 16, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"i think gil's point was that the all star team is assembled mid-year, "hottest players", and all nba is at the end of the season, with less given that honor as well

Posted by: bford1kb | September 16, 2009 8:48 PM "

I don't think Gilby has a point because he keeps changing it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

""Nobody could guard me before, and can't nobody guard me now," Arenas, 27, told The Washington Times last week, breaking a silence he maintained since departing for Chicago in July. "If I hadn't come up here, I'd be starting off the season with a 95 percent chance that I'd be sitting out more games. ... [Mr. Grover] saved my career." "

Yeah Gilby, and you can't guard anyone either.

-----------------------------------------

"But now, Arenas is back to his old self, eschewing the "true point guard" label and determined to attack as aggressively as ever.

"I had been hurt, was hearing everyone say, 'Oh, they don't have a traditional point guard,' so I figured, 'Hey, maybe that's what I need to be.' " Arenas said. "But you know what? What is a floor general? What's 'pure point guard'? At the end of the day, you're not going to be able to prove everybody wrong or right. If I average 10 points and 10 assists, then it's, 'Oh, he's not back to what he was.' If I score 45 and four assists, then it's, 'Oh, he's not a true point guard.' "

Yeah, and who were the b!tches on this blog who were claiming that Gilby is a reformed man and will come back as a pass first guard?

Yes, you know who you are, and you be wrong.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 16, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the same old Gil...all he does is worry about himself.

If he went out and on a chapionship no one would care if he averaged 45/3 or 10/10! People would just remember he won a championship!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | September 16, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Butler(he's been taking up to 1400 shots a day),

What kind of shots? Tequila? Damn he can hold his liquor.

JK of course.

I am happy to hear this from AJ. Someone said that this team could compete with Cleve, Boston and Orlando when healthy. If I recall, this team could compete with at least Cleve and Boston when not healthy.

Anyway, I am still calling fo 56 wins and conference finals this year, barring a new spate of major injuries.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am excited by this team. Wish it was november already.

Posted by: Blurred | September 16, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

IM BAAACK!!
I agree wit AJ. The wizdogs should think eastern conference championship and they can do it. But I have been a long time laker fan and no one is going to stop LA the next two years. That will tie kobe with MJ for six rings and move him past magic. Thus making kobe the greastest laker of all time.

Now back to the dogs! I know for a fact that this is AB year. If you look at his production since he entered into the league the numbers have gone up each year. Although he has had a slight reduction in block shots. At 23yrs old he is just scratching the surface of his potential.So look out! The time has come.

Posted by: TheGodFather | September 17, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Well it's about time they do something about that. Positive attitude is the first step and so on and so forth. I think they have a chance to make it a top contender. Believe in yourself! Go Wiz!

Posted by: a3nidad | September 17, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

they might be a champoinship contender if they stay healthy and play DEFENSE!!!!

Posted by: ChadPerry07 | September 17, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

@ TheGodFather

Kobe better than Magic and Jabbar? That'll be the day... Besides, there is more to being the greatest Laker of all time than winning the most championships. By your standard a bunch of Celtic players from the 60's will always surpass Kobe.

Not to mention, the "Showtime" Lakers were a very dominate team. The Kobe led Lakers are a far cry from what was going on in Lakerville two decades ago. Back then the Lakers were a crushing force, but they did it with style.

Posted by: MeviousMan | September 17, 2009 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Funny, right after being given max money for no reason, Gilby said he had an awakening where the felt that he had to be good and represent the organization/Abe properly.

Now, he just threw Abe and the franchise under the bus by saying they should have done a better job preventing him from hurting himself. With what? A straight jacket.

I guess I'm probably not as surprised as 99.5% of the people on this blog.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 17, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

No one can stop the Lakers? Well they could stop themselves for starters. Kobe pulls up lame like Gil did, and they're not the Championship favorite. Not saying it will happen, it's just hard to declare a team the sure thing when injuries play such a role.

Like Garnett, Kobe has a lot of NBA miles on him for his age. He does take care of himself, but a major knee injury can be a misstep away for any of these guys.

Second point about the Lakers, Artest. He could be a gamble worth taking. I'd have resigned Ariza if I were them, it would have been the safer play. It's been awhile since Artest blew a fuse, he could be a reformed man. Or the next meltdown could be mere minutes away.

Point Three, they can't seem to keep Bynum healthy. If he does finally have a healthy year and he works at his game, he could make them really tough. But he's missed a lot of time with leg ailments.

They have decent depth, so losing Bynum alone doesn't sink them. But if he and another big go down they could get thin upfront.

Point 4, San Antonio has added Jefferson and still has most of the rest of their lineup in place.Duncan may not be the dominant player over 82 games that he once was. But if that group goes into the playoffs healthy, they could be tough to face.

Right now you still have to name the Lakers the favorite, but there's still a lot that stands between them and a title. So I sure wouldn't bet the car on it...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 17, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

So for all those waiting in vain to see the Zards transform into a lockdown defensive team, try not to forget the Lakers just won the whole enchilada presenting huge matchup problems and playing sometimey D

Posted by: divi3 | September 17, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv | September 16, 2009 4:42 PM

Actually, it was the other way around. His excessive weight was an issue before the injury, and in my opinion it contributed to the injury.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Let me say this. You can have the best Defense in the League, but if your Offense is not better, you ain't winning no NBA Championships. You could win a few NFL championships, however.

Basketball is about outscoring your opponent. Enough of this baloney about playing DEFENSE. For, you cannot never have a good effective game winning Offense without figuring out what Defense is too.

If you score 110 points a game and your opponents scores 110, then your Offense is not effective.

Effective Offense means when you score say "lets go back", going back means you are going to take the ball away from your opponent, stop him from scoring, so you can score again.

Instead of harping about Defense, Harp about Offense, because it is an Oxy-Moron to have Good Offense without Defense.

But you can be a good Defensive Team and your Offense can suck.

I know I have been down this road before, but when I see these Defense comments on this board my blood starts to boil.

Defense wins Championships is a slogan for the NFL, not the NBA, Your Offense better be better, or, you will not be winning any Championships.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Googs was a damned good player, a highly skilled player who could contribute at a high level in multiple areas of the game. In his prime, he was a guy who could give you 18-20 pts, 8 or 9 rebs, and 4 assts. (and a couple of steals, to boot). He was a lot like Mike Miller, really, but in more of a PF body.Posted by: kalo_rama"

Yep, I caught an old game featuring Gugliotta the other night on cable. I forgot how really strong that guy was. Strong and skilled.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

One of the keys to this season is whether McGee has progessed enough to replace Haywood at center. Another key is the crowded backcourt and how it shakes out. I personally don't see any major minutes for Stevenson but they have already tried to trade him and had no takers. There is still some upgrade needed in certain areas for the Wizards to be a lot better and I am talking above .500 on a consistent basis.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | September 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Odds are against any team winning 2 or 3 titles in a row in any pro sport. Repeating is one of the toughest things to do in sports."

Apparently it's not that tough in the NBA, given that 15 of the last 23 NBA titles involved the same team repeating in consecutive years.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"What all the laker lovers on this site seem to forget is that team was really nothing special defensively, not compared to teams that based their Championships on defense anyways."

Were/are the Lakers an all-time great defensive team? Nope. But they did play solid defense in their championship years. Not necessarily great, but good enough to place some kind of limit on their opponents and complement their own offensive production. It's not like they got titles by winning wild offensive shootouts. (By way of example, in their 4 victories in the most recent Finals, the Lakers gave up an average of 87 ppg to the Magic. That's pretty good defense. The one game in which they gave up 100 points, they lost. )

If the Wizards could do that consistently they might (might) be in the mix of upper echelon teams. But they've yet to show any signs of being capable of that. Could that change under Saunders? Sure, anything is possible. But given their historry on defense (with, essentially, the same personnel) it's going to require some concrete evidence before a change in that status quo can be taken as fact.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"Let me say this. You can have the best Defense in the League, but if your Offense is not better, you ain't winning no NBA Championships."

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

As usual, an obvious distortion of the actual facts.

Of course a team can't win a championship without offense AND defense. Which is exactly the Wizards' problem. They don't need to have "the best Defense in the League." But they do need to play solid, NBA caliber defense, something they have never shown any proclivity for with this core group of players. It doesn't matter how great their offense is, until they play consistently good, credible, playoff caliber defense they simply won't win a title.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bford1kb | September 17, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"the team is in charge of it's players if they thought he shouldn't be doing what he was doing they needed to shut him down and point to breach of contract if he injured himself doing his own thing, athletes are athlete's not medical personnel

Posted by: bford1kb | September 17, 2009 4:57 PM "

Again, EG feared that Gilby would walk and leave Les BouleS high and dry without compensation based on the many veiled threats that were voiced by Gilby.

Everybody knew that Gilby had leverage over the team because EG's hands were tied because he didn't want Gilby to walk since Gilby opted out of his contract.

It's the same situation Cleveland is in now....they are kissing LeBron's butt b/c otherwise, he will walk.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 18, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Listen Up! The key to this team is staying healthy an AB period. If he comes and be consistant night in and night out with 12pts and 8 boards in a minimum of 75 games.Then the dogs will advance to the second round and if he takes AJ spot as a starter somewhere befor the allstar break then the dogs will make a serious run for the eastern conference title. TrustMe!!

Posted by: TheGodFather | September 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse