Crittenton undergoes exploratory surgery

Reserve point guard Javaris Crittenton revealed after practice today that he had exploratory surgery last Friday on his left foot and will be out at least another month.

It was tough not to notice Crittenton, who was using crutches to walk down a hallway outside the Verizon Center practice court, his left foot carefully bandaged.

Crittenton said the surgery was to make sure there was no further damage to the foot, which he originally injured playing in the Atlanta Pro Am league in late July.

An MRI on Oct. 2 revealed a double bone bruised and a strained tendon and he originally expected to miss two weeks. Now, only more rest will help the third-year pro's injury heal.

"It's going to be tough coming back [during the season] but I would rather have it done now than to deal with it and try to play with pain during the season," Crittenton said. "So I'm glad they cleaned it out."

Crittenton averaged 5.3 points, 2.6 assists and 20.2 minutes in 56 for the Wizards after being obtained in a three-team trade with Memphis and New Orleans last December.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 29, 2009; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew
Next: Picture Yourself, on Halloween

Comments

Foist!?

Posted by: TakinAWiz | October 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Do you know when the Wizards knew Critt got hurt...was it before or after the draft?

Sure would be nice to have Ty Lawson in A wizard uniform.

I know it’s hard for the blind Cheap Abe loyalist people on here to understand anything different than what the organization tells you, but considering the Minnesota Timberwolves traded the draft rights to G Ty Lawson (the 18th pick in the 2009 NBA draft) to the Denver Nuggets for a future protected first round draft pick…

If Ernie was the genius people claim he is why didn’t he trade OP, DS, ET and a future protected first round draft pick to the deal for MM and Foye and the 18th pick? Then if “Ernie the Great” would have drafted Blair with the 2nd round pick this team would be the same 1 -13 and Lawson and Blair would have filled out the 14 and 15 spots!

Now they have Oberto and Davis plus 2.5 million and the money Cheap Abe saved but not having to sign a first round pick. That’s what I meant by Abe not doing everything he could have (money wise) to bring this city a championship.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"You finally got something right...the Wizards aren't a contending-caliber team and never will be since they value money more than championships."

You're gonna eat those words this year.

I believe again.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Ray,

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 29, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The Washington Post sports writers definitely kept the severity of Crittenton's foot injury a secret.

It's getting to the point that you can't believe anything you hear from these injury reports. Two weeks become a month, six weeks turns into "some time after the All-Star break."

I guess Mike James is going to be seeing a lot less time on the bench.

Posted by: musicmanjr | October 29, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"If Ernie was the genius people claim he is why didn’t he trade OP, DS, ET and a future protected first round draft pick to the deal for MM and Foye and the 18th pick?"

Deal might not have been on the table. Not even with four months of hindsight do I have any idea what the Wolves were doing on draft night.

"Then if “Ernie the Great” would have drafted Blair with the 2nd round pick this team would be the same 1 -13 and Lawson and Blair would have filled out the 14 and 15 spots!"

If we drafted Blair, than we would not have signed Oberto. I think Oberto will be quite useful this year both in terms of leadership and playoff experience. I understand Blair might be better in the long term, but this team is built for now.

"That’s what I meant by Abe not doing everything he could have (money wise) to bring this city a championship."

You can't buy a championship in the NBA. The 14th and 15th spots have never determined whether a team makes the playoffs let alone a championship.

Posted by: JimBagel | October 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

You never answer this in your lame 'cheap abe' rants. Who should have been drafted at #5 that we would rather have right now then Foye and Miller?

Posted by: divi3 | October 29, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

divi3

Sorry I should have written...

"If Ernie was the genius people claim he is why didn’t he trade OP, DS, ET, the 5th pick and add a future protected first round draft pick to the deal for MM and Foye and ask them for the 18th pick?"

I didn't say not to do the trade I said getting the 18th pick in addition to the trade...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@78

I'm not sure what more you want from Abe. Only about 7 or 8 teams are paying the luxury tax, with the Wiz being one of them. In this economy, a lot of owners of teams that are clearing cap for the '10 free agency market will probably end up pocketing that.

It doesn't really make sense for the business or team side to just spend money wantonly. Every team has a budget and we were able to upgrade our roster and also give ourselves flexibility in the future, what more do you want?

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | October 29, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't he get them to throw in Al Jefferson too, what a bum!

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | October 29, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

JimBagel

I just wrote 14-15 players on the roster because guys like divi3 can't follow my logic...he still thinks when I write it would have been nice to get a 1st round pick last year that means not to do the trade with Minn.

If they would have got Lawson and Blair they both would be in the 10 man rotation. I'm sorry that's pops who has a 10 man rotation, he played 10 guys who got almost 20 minutes each.

Like I said would you rather have Blair and Lawson or Oberto and Davis and cash in Abe's pocket?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"I just wrote 14-15 players on the roster because guys like divi3 can't follow my logic"

You claimed we traded the 1st round pick because ownership didnt want to pay for it, when clearly it was the right basketball move.

That's not logic...

Posted by: divi3 | October 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry I should have written...

No you shouldn't have, because it was just as big a waste of everyone's time the second time around. First of all, how do you know that Grunfeld didn't ask for the #18 pick and got shot down? Of course, you don't. You can't. Moreover, your entire nonsensical rant is predicated on the idea that the Wolves went into negotiations with the Wiz having already decided to move the #18 pick. Again . . . evidence? None. In all likelihood the decision to move the pick was made after (and as a partial result of) their successful acquisition of the Wizards #5 pick (in combination with the fact that Lawson was the best player available at 18 and they didn't need a third rookie PG). There is absolutely no basis for blithely assuming that the pick was already in play when The Miller/Foye trade went down.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 29, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

To 2nd Kal's comments, I don't see how ANY point guard drafted in this year's draft would have seen much playing time at all on a roster with a healthy Arenas and Randy Foye playing most of the minutes. Lawson at No. 18 would have picked up splinters on a veteran team like the Wiz and would not have been part of the rotation.

I have been critical of many of EG's draft picks but his trades for Jamison, Butler, and now Foye/Miller have all been excellent. The Wiz have basically a 2-3 year window to compete with the current core players under contract so drafting young players would have not made any sense.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't he get them to throw in Al Jefferson too, what a bum!

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | October 29, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Denver got Lawson for a future protected first round draft pick. So why would you bring up Al Jefferson?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And that's fundamental flaw in his argument (one of the many), JimBagel. He rails against Pollin for not spending like a sultan to turn the Wiz into instant contenders, but when asked who they should have gotten, he either ducks the question entirely or throws out the names of rookies (Blair, Lawson) or role players (Joe Smith, Big Baby) who wouldn't have come close to turning this Wizards team into contenders.

Guys like that can be useful cogs on contending caliber teams, if the teams are already contending caliber when they get there (like, oh, say, San Antonio, Boston, Or Denver). The Wizards aren't likely a contender without those guys, so only a fool would believe that their addition would turn this team into a contender.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan:

"Let's see gil, MM, CB, AB, BTH start and a nice 2nd team of Lawson, Foye, McGuire, Blair, and McGee."

Well, you did not include AJ, which makes it an 11 man rotation - which will not actually happen. You are also not including Nick Young - who is under contract and arguably more valuable than Lawson. Now that we are this far down the depth chart, I argue Stevenson is not too shabby - even if his antics are played and skills diminishing.

If there is a purpose to leaving these players out of your rotation, I argue your second team has absolutely no experience and is a huge liability on a win-now roster. Not worth it IMO.

Also, I don't necessarily follow the logic that Lawson would have been available in a trade. Minnesota might have had their eye on someone at 18 and decided to trade the pick. OR quite possibly, they would not have considered your trade scenario two days before draft night when we fleeced them. Remember, our trade took place two days before the trade with Denver. Again, you are assuming logic with the Timberwolves draft strategy.

Also, while I do not consider myself a blind Abe loyalist, I think they have done quite a strong job solidifying depth of the squad and have paid an impressive price to do so.

Posted by: JimBagel | October 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Someone wrote: "I understand Blair might be better in the long term, but this team is built for now."

As I wrote before, Blair will be in the regular rotation for San Antonio this season (reads "now").

If Blair can help San Antonio, he can help this team. In case if AB does not display the consistency we all hopes he has, or if Jamison's problem turns out to linger longer than expected, we would all wish we have Blair for "now" (i.e. this season).

Posted by: sagaliba | October 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Blair could work out really well with San Antonio this year. Obviously last night's performance supports that argument. I also think role players will play better on San Antonio, because they are a better team.

But if we drafted Blair, we would not have signed Oberto. I was really impressed with his play the other night.

Injuries happen. If wishing did us any good than I wish Jamison didn't get hurt. But since a wish is just a wish, I would much rather try to enjoy "now", now.

I think we looked pretty solid the other night. I think a lot of that had to do with MM, RF, FO and Flip. Management brought those guys to town - give credit where credit is due. Nice one Cheap Abe!

Posted by: JimBagel | October 29, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The Post should ban Blair's name from this board. Ban it like it is profanity. And ban Ty Lawson while you're at it too!

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If Dan Snyder owned the Wiz you might get some traction with that request.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | October 29, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"Ray,

They were Kal's words and with a little luck (from your key board to the basketball gods ears) I hope you are right."

Thanks for fixing my quote there. :)

I know it's just one game, but geeze I couldn't remember a time even going back to the 80's when the Bullets/Wiz looked so "in sync."

The Wiz really looked better then the Mavs, they just weren't hoping to play well like in years past.

People are just so accepting of thier roles and you can see they just want to win.

I just hope it continues and they stay healthy.

I do feel for Stevenson. He played hard, but he doesn't have his legs back yet. The same thing happend to Songaila after his back surgery. I've been critical in the past of him, but I hope they don't give up on the guy.

And that was without Jamison, geeze when he comes back.....

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 29, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw Blair dominate the Big East and especially G'Town but then they don't have a coach(sorry Big John)one game in the NBA and they were singing his praises on PTI this afternoon or at least Wilbon was,he's 6'6 and as wide as a doorway but let's see where he is say 25 games in, he's had serious surgery on both knees so i'm cautiously optimistic i'm not sure i would have drafted him given his medical history,that being said he is a force in the paint,a Wes Unseld with a shooting touch, at least around the hoop. DeJuan Blair will benefit because of Greg Popovich and "Timmae" taking him under his wing, watch out if this kid stays healthy.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 29, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

If Snyder owned the Wiz, The 8'ers would have been Gator bait long ago...

With Critt's ankle injury my suggestion is that when he's ready send him to Chicago to work with Grover...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 29, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I've only had the opportunity to see video highlights of the wiz perform so far. I'm so itching to *see* them play. In one highlight from the preseason, 2 of the clips were of Andray Blache running the break and he looked in control, dribbled like a small forward and made a very sweet pass to someone for the score. I had no idea he had this much talent.

Posted by: jistutz | October 29, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

So Critt was spossed to be out 2 weeks that turned into 4 weeks and now we hear it's gonna be 4 more weeks.
Look out AJ. I Hope you're getting 2nd opinions.

Let's rag on the Medical staff and let Blair play in San Antone.

If Ernie called a do over on that lottery ball we'd have Broken Knee Blake Griffin.

Posted by: VBFan | October 29, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh! Crit has been missing?

Posted by: closg | October 29, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone possibly believe that even IF we had decided to acquire 18th pick that we'd actually have taken a smallish guard that would have struggled to even get into games with this roster??

It is an interesting "what if" discussion to think about who EG might have taken at 18, but I'd be willing to bet money (if we had just acquired Foye), it wouldn't have been Lawson.

As for Blair, good for San Antonio (for however long his knees last). Somebody in the second round always gets a steal--but most teams don't. In fact, in the last few years, very few second round draft picks are getting any kind of significant time---Blatche being a notable exception---and many are not even on rosters any more.

Posted by: psdfx | October 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

(P.S. *IF* Blair even turns out to be a steal.)

Posted by: psdfx | October 29, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Critter being out is inconsequential. He is like the 12-14th man on the roster. Not important, especially with Gilby getting 38 min in his first game back. I see Foye as Gilby's backup, with MeShawn and Eminem manning the 2 guard spot.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 29, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Inconsequential, maybe. OK, probably. But a bummer---I'd love to think that Flip could really develop JC. I like the raw talent and physical tools, and he is still young. I know he probably wouldn't play a ton, THIS year, but I had hoped he'd be ascending and making it increasingly tough for Flip not to find some minutes for him.

The blessing and curse of summer ball, right?

Posted by: psdfx | October 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"I think at the time just about EVERYBODY wanted Ernie to give DS the boot and sign Juan Carlos Navarro. Call me crazy but I think DS gives the Wiz a little 'tude, which might not be all the bad.

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse "

The tude ain't so good when you get LeBron mad and can't back it up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 28, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

What did Lebron getting mad cause him to do that he doesn't normally do? Or is he mad all the time?

Posted by: GoEagles

------------------------------
DC_MAN88,

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 29, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

"Since you're willing to go down in flames with your circular argument about getting LeBron "mad", please answer GoEagles' question, which I've re-posted here, if you'd be so kind. Enlighten us.

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 29, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse "

Pay attention fool.

As I said before and as you clearly copied but didn't read, the 'tude ain't so good when you get LeBron mad AND CAN'T BACK IT UP!

That ends up being egg on MeShawn's face.

I guess since you live under a rock, you've never heard of the term "bulletin board material."

I can guarantee you that MeShawn won't be calling LeBron overrated again.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"In fact, in the last few years, very few second round draft picks are getting any kind of significant time---Blatche being a notable exception---and many are not even on rosters any more."

Since 2005:

Ronny Turiaf
Marcin Gortat
Monta Ellis
Louis Williams
Craig Smith
Goren Dragic

That's a pretty healthy list for second rounders.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 30, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Gee, a post about Critt's misfortunes drew quite an assortment of spleen from the throng, didn't it?

Anyway, heal up Critt, and when you come back, spend a lot of time learning stuff from Sam Cassell. And practice those free throws! For a point guard, especially one who is a good penetrator, anything less than 80% is not good enough.

I think you will ultimately be needed, and that you will be a contributor in some important ways.

Posted by: khrabb | October 30, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 29, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse "

Pay attention fool.

That ends up being egg on MeShawn's face.

I can guarantee you that MeShawn won't be calling LeBron overrated again.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Posted by: DC_MAN88
---------------------------------------
Have a wonderful day!

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 30, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

@78

What I'm saying is, you can play the "if" game all day, but what's the point? The 18th pick wasn't on the table, so why talk about it like we somehow could have gotten it. We weren't exactly dealing from a position of power, everyone and their mother knew we wanted to trade the pick.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | October 30, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I'd doubt that Minny knew they wanted to trade out of 18 until the 17th pick was made. Coming out of the draft with two smallish points, no matter how talented, would have been a poor outcome for any team. And at the time of the draft, they still thought they had a shot at Rubio coming this year.

As much as this team is built for now, Ernie hasn't given up his future picks. Minny got future considerations for the 18th pick.

At draft time Crittenton was healthy, and Cassell worked all summer to bring him up to speed to be a backup point. Foye can fill that role some, but he sure looked good running beside Gil in the 4th quarter.

I'd say Foye ends up getting the Lion's Share of the minutes at the two at crunch time. Gil and Foye looked like they'd been playing together for years.

Gil just seems to have a really high comfort level when working with another talented combo guard. It was almost like he was paired with Larry Hughes again...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 30, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

keep the Blair talk coming. the cash we got in the 2nd won't play 1 min this season. you sell Heavy D Blair for 250K and then add the salaries of Oberto and Davis super savy move Ern.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Just as I thought, DC_MAN88. You can't point to a single thing that LeBron did differently in light of DeShawn's comment.
Have a wonderful day!

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 30, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88,

"And you can't point to a single thing that Lebron didn't do differently in light of MeShawn's comment."

YOU argued that DeShawn's comments made LeBron "mad" or somehow affected his play, not me.

"MeShawn talking down to LeBron is a check that he cannot cash, so he might as well not write it. LeBron and Jay-Z pretty much clowned MeShawn, and nobody stepped up to back MeShawn, not even Soul-ja boy."

Again, what does that have to do with making LeBron "mad"? In your world, apparently LeBron has never engaged in trashtalking or gamesmanship prior to DeShawn.

"I can guarantee you that MeShawn won't be calling LeBron overrated again."

Wrong again, DC_MAN88. After the playoff series concluded, DeShawn said he still thinks LeBron is overrated and as recently as this preseason he said he just doesn't like LeBron (doesn't sound like a chastened guy to me). Of course, you would know this if you a) followed the team for reasons other than to spew your vitriol or b) did ten seconds of research.

Checkmate!!