Davis claims 15th spot

The Wizards concluded their final practice before the regular season debut in Dallas on Tuesday and Coach Flip Saunders announced that the team would enter the year with 15 players, meaning that longshot big man Paul Davis was able to hold on.

Davis's ability to beat the odds can be attributed to a solid performance during training camp, but mostly because Antawn Jamison is going to start the season on the shelf after suffering a shoulder subluxation.

With Jamison down, the Wizards faced the prospect of entering the season with just four big men -- Brendan Haywood, Andray Blatche, Fabricio Oberto and JaVale McGee. The Wizards made plenty of moves this offseason, but they hated to part ways with Darius Songaila in that deal with Minnesota to acquire Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

The 6-foot-11 Davis plays a similar, though not as effective, below-the-rim game as Songaila and even wears his familiar No. 9. Davis averaged just 3.3 points and 1.5 rebounds in four preseason appearances, but Saunders was pleased with his effort and performance during training camp. "He's played well. He's had some opportunities," Saunders said. "We've played some teams where you'll need a fifth big early in the season. So, we'll see."

Davis came to Washington at the urging of Gilbert Arenas, who worked out with Davis last summer in Chicago. Davis, like Arenas, is also looking to bounce back from a knee injury. He had surgery to repair two torn ligaments in his right knee in 2008 and the Los Angeles Clippers cut him last January after he averaged just four points and 2.4 rebounds in 27 games.

"I finished up rehab this summer, and I feel great," said Davis, a former 2006 second-round pick out of Michigan State. "I figured, come in and control what I can control. That's what I do on the court, off the court, and other than that, I let things play out. I just tried to give myself the best chance to make the team and do things exactly how they wanted me to do them. Everything else was out of my control so I just stayed within myself and feel good that I'm here and on the team."

Davis got the word that he might right before the team played the Chicago Bulls last Friday. "Flip and Ernie make it pretty clear what to expect, what they wanted," Davis said. "Just come in and defensively play solid and pick up the plays and concepts, rebound, open jumpers. That basically is my role is on the team, and just be ready to play whether its five minutes in the game or if they need me for 30. Over training camp, I meshed well with the staff and with the players and I think we'll come together at the right time."

Jamison remains upbeat although he will miss the season opener against one of his former teams, the Dallas Mavericks. He remains encouraged with his progress, saying that the range of motion is back in his shoulder and that he might start shooting again on Tuesday. But he is also willing to be patient. "You know me, I'm always trying to get out there as quickly as possible, but this is something that's very serious," Jamison said. "If it comes out again, they talking about surgery or something like that. I definitely don't want that to happen again. Just hearing that Makes me realize that I got to make sure that everything is where it needs to be, see the doctors and make sure that everything is okay because I feel like I can play right now."

Jamison said he was "shocked" by the original diagnosis, saying that he felt fine in the locker room after chopping down on Zydrunas Ilgauskas in Cleveland. He even thought he could come back and finish the game. The most frustrating part of the injury was that he had just begun to start feeling good physically before suffereing what he calls a "fluke" injury. "I was not feeling sore anymore. I was ready to go," he said. "Now I'm in a situation where I'm getting back in shape. My knee is hurting again and now I'm starting back over. For me, it's just getting 100 percent healthy."

"It's one of those things that I'm glad it happened now, instead of during the season," Jamison said. "I have all the confidence in my teammates to get off to a good start and I'll be out there very soon."

Saunders remains guarded about his rotation, refusing to announce his starting shooting guard until tomorrow. As Mike Miller walked past reporters (wearing a Florida Gators top and some Minnesota Timberwolves sweats), I asked him if Saunders had named a starter yet. "Uh no," Miller said, voice drifting in the hallway. "You guys believe me?"

With the regular season upon him, Saunders offered this assessment of his team after his first training camp and preseason with these players: "We're not as far along as we'd like to be, and we're probably right between where we might be and where we thought we might be You have so many new players coming in and guys coming back trying to establish themselves from injury, guys who you made trades and they've come in, and younger players trying to develop themselves. So you have a lot of people who are trying to get involved in some individual things too. So it's a matter of trying to tie things together into the process and the team concept."

By Michael Lee  |  October 26, 2009; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning buzz
Next: Morning brew

Comments

Second!!!!

Posted by: lanka124 | October 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

It should be Miller starting at the 2 but he's got to be aggresive and shoot any open shots that present themselves. Why cant he be our Jason Terry as far as aggresiveness???

Posted by: lanka124 | October 26, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't you rather have Davis instead of Blair who has knee concerns?

Wait...I'm sorry I didn't read Davis had surgery to repair two torn ligaments in his right knee in 2008 and the Los Angeles Clippers cut him last January after he averaged just four points and 2.4 rebounds in 27 games.

At least Cheap Abe got his 2.5 mil from the Spurs?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

trash that twolves crap fool

Posted by: divi3 | October 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

dallas must be laughing at our "closed-door" determinations on deshawn vs. miller

Posted by: sunnyman1 | October 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, Davis doesn't really use the knees in his game. As long as he can shoot and pass and do the little things like Songaila (has anyone seen Songaila jump?) he'll have the job.

OTOH, he does appear to be a better rebounder than Songaila, 'cause he is taller.

BTW, Wiz didn't get the money from Spurs; Wiz sold their 32nd pick, while Spurs drafted Blair as 37th pick.

Regarding the starting 2, we may need Miller while Jamison is out. Oberto is a very consistent "non-scorer;" averaged 2 points in 17 minutes for the Wiz and his best season average is 4 points in 20 minutes played along side Duncan (when his defender is probably double teaming Duncan).

Posted by: sagaliba | October 26, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually 8'er I'd rather have Davis, he's shown that he can defend either the 4 or the 5, and has length. He's not going to block a lot of shots, but he gets his arms up and is a good positional defender.

He's also not a rookie, so it's not his first time around the rodeo. And he knows his role, practice, and unless somebody gets hurt, pack nice suits to wear to the game.

Blair will probably put up bigger stats in SA, but I'd think you'd have a hard time making the case that he would get any kind of regular minutes here. SA is ideal for him, Pops will expose him to the right matchups and protect him from being exploited.

I was one of the people that really liked Blair last spring, he could end up being one of those matchup guys that makes a living by his coach letting him feed on mismatches. But that means that he's another guy that needs the ball in his hands when he's in the lineup.

And by the way, he's going to be another guy that could be a real defensive liability against certain matchups. He's going to have show he can guard guys that can drive or shoot in space.

The Wiz need a guy that can rebound and defend the 4 & 5, I don't think lack of scoring is going to be the issue. Davis can fill a spot until Ernie figures out what kind of a deal he wants to make.

I've never been real big on preseason predictions. But I do think Flip narrowly misses his normal 50 win mark. I'd peg the Wizards to be at 47-49 win range. Good enough for a home seed in the first round of the playoffs.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 26, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to say, while there are other teams passed on DaJuan Blair between Wiz's 32nd and Spurs' 37th pick, they have different needs. In terms of Wizards, we are desperately needing beg men depth after trading away 3 in one shot!

Posted by: sagaliba | October 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Davis can fill a spot until Ernie figures out what kind of a deal he wants to make."
------------------------------------------

I doubt Davis can get anything more than a vet's minimum. The decision Ernie needs to make is whether or not to offer him a guaranteed contract.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I say 48 wins, but more importantly, go 28-13 in the last half of the season after a 20-21 start.

How's that for specific?

I think the team is going to need awhile to find its stride, and Jamison's shoulder worries me despite the cheery reports.

However once Flip has had a chance to work through various rotations and players and Gil is fully re-adjusted to the nba after 2 years away- that's when we'll hit our stride and start winning games in bunches.

At which point no one will care we "only" won 48, as we'll clearly be a threatening team in the postseason.

Posted by: divi3 | October 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I know Blair has been getting a lot of raves in preseason, but I still don't think he's going to turn out to be all that good of an NBA player. He's very strong and super aggressive, but he's only 6-7 and he doesn't jump well, and his ballhanding and shooting skills are too limited to play anything but the four. He reminds me a lot of Michael Sweetney, who looked good at first for the Knicks a few years ago. He's not even in the league now.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | October 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Predictions:

46 Wins... Very slow start...

76.5% of the people on this board will act like the first 2 months are a catastrophe.

Gilbert has an excellent year.

We stun the league by beating Boston or Orlando in the second round.

Lose to Clevland (again...) in the conference finals.

Ernie says, "If healthy, we would have won."

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Alright!!!

2 more manning up with predictions.

Thanks. I like to see what everyone is thinking. I am a bit on the optimistic side so far.
Divi3 even breaking down the season by halves. That's more than I am willing to do.

Anyone else?

Posted by: Blurred | October 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Meviousman...now we are up to 5.

Posted by: Blurred | October 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree with your last line prediction.

Posted by: Blurred | October 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

39 wins, 7th seed, 1st round exit.

SNAKEBIT season with sundry injuries from the usual suspects.

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Toss November. Just under 500. 45 wins on the season. Last longer than Cavs in playoffs.

Posted by: joe2chase | October 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VBFan | October 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I would finished the game with Miller at the 4 spot. Miller when standing next to AJ is roughly the same size. I would have Carron at the 3, Haywood, Gil and Foye or Stevenson depending whos playing better.

Posted by: dsquare | October 26, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

dsquare,

No more "small ball". Miller might be the same size as Jamison but he's nowhere near as good a rebounder. Truth be told, Jamison is too small to play PF, but his handle isn't good enough to play SF.

Memo to Saunders: Never play Miller at any position other than 2 or 3. Please.

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

GM

I respect your opinion since I know you understand the game and can have a different view without getting personal.

My problem with the Davis pickup (as I stated after the draft) is the Wizards waited to get someone who would play at the league minimum. They signed Juan last year at the league minimum after letting Mason walk. Was that decision based on who was the better player or money?

That alone doesn’t mean Davis is a stiff, but considering the track record of the Clippers if they cut him what does that mean?

On the other side looking at the track record of the Spurs they do pretty good at getting players that a lot of other teams pass on (Parker, Ginobili, and maybe Blair). That also brings up my concerns with Oberto if he was so valuable to the Spurs why didn’t they try to resign him after he was released by Detroit? Also Mason did a great job filling in for Ginobili last year.

I guess what it comes down to is I think organizations who have done it in the past (won championships) seem to have a better feel about players than those who haven’t.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

So you're claiming I misinterpreted your argument because I reversed two words in a way that completely failed to alter the meaning of the key phrase? Utter nonsense. Or is that nonsense, utterly? Whatever. Pick one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 26, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

If I wrote…

So, if you change what someone writes just to make your point it does make utter nonsense!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Is the starting lineup with Jamison in, Butler, Arenas, Haywood and DeStink? That means nuthin has changed in 3 years. Please tell me thats not the case? Please!!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | October 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Wizards 2009/2010 Predictions:
1. Gilbert dons stylish but understated eye glasses…but only when speaking to the media

2. Caron Butler is sought out for new Hollywood remake of The Invisible Man

3. Blatche is attacked by front row fan after fan is struck for 3rd time by errant no look pass during the same game

4. Wizards begin new halftime contest for fans to have free throw shooting contest with Brendan Haywood…losses for Wizards organization are greater than the sum of Blair’s contract with SA

5. Nick Young learns of impending 2012 apocalypse and spirals into depression

6. DMAC hits not one but TWO three point shots over the course of the season

7. Mike Miller is fined when he actually wears his old Minnesota uniform into a Wizards game

8. Ironically Stevenson is struck with Bell's Palsy and literally cannot feel his face

9. JaVale McGee dunks from half court without traveling thanks to the NBA’s new two step rule

10. Flip Saunders ups the stakes on “Retro” nights by forcing players to exchange new IPods for AM/FM headphone sets

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | October 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

actually Paul Davis can and does jump, go see the training camp pictures on washingtonwizards.com

and training camp video day 6 Highlights

He needs to be more aggresive on both offensive and defensive rebounds.

Posted by: rickgonz | October 26, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

rickgonz,

Someone has Photoshop and airbrushed out the exercise trampoline Paul used in the photo.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

77-78 NBA champion bullets regular season record 44-38

Posted by: wvdczombywoof | October 26, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

rickgonz,

Didn't say Davis cannot jump. What I meant is Davis can still be effective if he plays like Songaila (who cannot jump).

Now I am waiting for someone to show me a picture of Songaila dunking the ball. :)

Posted by: sagaliba | October 26, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Although we are much improved (hard not to be) we are lacking in two key areas. Blair would have been a great pick up because we need someone who will take it strong and be a beast down low. Second, we need real leadership. Someone to lead both vocally and on the court. I predict either or both of those factors will lead us to an above average year, but definitely not out of the first round. We are going to get crushed down low.

Posted by: lk11 | October 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

"And by the way, besides Michael Jordan being the dominant factor for those Bull's Rings, Scottie Pippen was also a major factor as well.

Scottie Pippen, BulletsFan78, IMO was the most successful point guard on that Team.

Though he never was listed as a PG, but he often controlled the flow of the ball time after time.

Scottie Pippen's versatility to play a point role, also like Larry Bird did for Boston, is a whole fly in the ointment of position player.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 26, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse "

Everybody knows that MJ probably wouldn't have won those rings without having a scrapper on each of those championship teams. They include Cliff Levingston, Bison Dele, and Dennis Rodman.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 26, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

My Prediction: Wiz go 30-52; Flip and Ernie get run out of town,Eddie Jordan leads Philly to third best conference record and East.Conf.semifinals.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 26, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

"The dog bites Johnny, and reverses the words to say, Johnny bites the dog…do they have the same meaning? The answer is NO! "

But that's not what you wrote. You wrote "spending wise."I wrote "wise spending." Same thing.

Idiot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 26, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

EJ improve 76ers ?
I do not expect them to learn his complicated offense that make them a defensive liablity very quick.I will be surprised if i see them in a post season game.Wiz will be in play off as long as Arenas and jamison play 65games together.

Posted by: gtefferra | October 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Jordan's offense really isn't that complicated. It's not high level-physics, for God's sake. And his offense will make much better use of Elton Brand than the run-and-gun they ran the last couple of years did. If they can maximize Brand on the floor and get the others to play off him, they should be pretty good.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

LOL w/ The_Shadow_Knows!!! You had me rolling with # 3 HAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: Bullzards80 | October 26, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

oh man The_Shadow_Knows is a dam.n comedian!!! He seriously had me rollin again on # 7...LMAO @ Mike Miller LOL!!!

Posted by: Bullzards80 | October 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Idiot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 26, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

This is what "I" wrote which would mean “I” know what "I" meant!

Why do you guys get on my case? Did the old man do everything he could (spending wise) to help this team win a championship? NO!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Spending wise meant the old man left money on the table (in his pocket) since he did not spend the full 5.5 mil MLE. You turned it around and wrote...

Yes, actually. He bolstered the team's depth by getting an up-and-coming young scorer and a vet shooter/playmaker on what are essentially "rent with first option to buy" deals. He made the team better without committing to bloated, long-term salaries. That's the definition of wise spending.

Do you now understand that it’s not the same thing?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

sagaliba,

Thank you are right...I was wrong

The Wizards received 2.5 mill from the Houston Rockets in exchange for the draft rights to Jermaine Taylor.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"Spending wise meant the old man left money on the table (in his pocket) since he did not spend the full 5.5 mil MLE."

And still you natter on without actually addressing the question. Again (like it'll matter) the question is asked: If there was something he could have done (spending wise) to win a title . . . what was it? It's a simple direct question. Who could he have signed and didn't that would have made this team a championship contender? All you need to do is list some names and explain how they would have advanced the team's immediate title chances. Or you could keep doing the semantics tango while deluding yourself into thinking you're fooling anyone. Or you could just shut up about the whole thing.

Yeah. Fat chance, right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 26, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

What is it with you, BulletFan88, in your incessant jabs at Abe Pollin? Here's a guy who will go down in history here in D.C. as the guy who rebuilt/recreated downtown, building a world-class arena for the Wizards and Capitals (and rock stars the world over) right in the heart of a city that was looking for a pulse.

Yeah, so he made some money off the deal, but he took a chance, he got out in front of the timid city administration. He had a dream, by God, and it certainly does strike my fancy. He's a champion already, in my eyes.

But I also think he's been doing everything he can to bring a championship to the city. This is a man who puts great stock in loyalty, and this may be his biggest failing -- trusting people he loves, or believes in, like Wes Unseld, in particular. But he will never stop trying to win a championship, not until the day he dies.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 26, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

"'As Mike Miller walked past reporters (wearing a Florida Gators top and some Minnesota Timberwolves sweats)'

trash that twolves crap fool

Posted by: divi3 | October 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse "

Eminem white trash at it's best.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 26, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe you'd like to hurry up that date, ol' 88, but I don't want it to come -- at least not until Abe has his second championship. I hope the Wizards play for it this year.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 26, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse "

WTF are you talking about zingaling?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 26, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

zinger1

My comments aren't about the man it's about the way he has run the organization. You said it he let Wes run the team even though he was over his head. That's like George W. letting Brownie be the head of FEMA....how did that work out?

Last year (this is for you kal) he let Mason walk and signed Juan to save maoney.

Who knows maybe if Ernie offered Bass the full MLE that would have been 1.5 more than Orl offered him maybe he would have come here.

But as Ernie said Oberto was his guy as soon as Detroit cut him? It's hard to say if any of the free agents would have signed here since Ernie never offered them a deal?

Kal,

Abe sold the 2nd pick for 2.5 instead of signing a guy like Blair who rebounds but this team has Miller and he is going to rebound for us?

Do you want more names...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 26, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Wiz 50 and 32. 30 and 12 at home. 20 and 21 on the road.

Posted by: ptp23 | October 27, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

correction 30 and 11 at home.

Posted by: ptp23 | October 27, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

So, since your entire insane rant was based on Pollin not spending money to put the Wizards in immediate contention, it's your stance that Signing Blair would have made the Wizards into immediate contenders? Really?

Hilarious.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Again, you're full of crap. The Wiz went out and acquired two guys that immediately make the team better and jumped over the luxury tax ceiling to do it. So the argument that Abe didn't spend money to improve the team is nonsense. If you don't like the moves he made, so be it. But claiming that he was too cheap to spend money after he's shelled out a small mint in the last two years and has one of the highest payrolls in the NBA is BS.

Oh, and you forgot to mention your favorite "tough guy" big baby Davis. Yeah, he would have put us over the top, right? Yeah, Blair, Joe Smith, and Big Baby. There's a title waiting to happen.

Moron.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

It is some heavy swinging going on rounds' here.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 27, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Kal,

As usual you are wrong again?

If you are talking about the trade for Miller and Foye that move saved Abe money since he didn't have to sign a first round draft pick this year! Maybe you are referring to the Oberto and Paul Davis signing which no other team in the NBA wanted is going to get them closer to a title.

I noticed you mention last year but forgot to bring up how they signed Juan for the league minimum instead of resigning Mason so they wouldn’t go over the cap.

Did they offer Bass or anyone else the full MLE? Do you realize by selling the 2nd round draft pick for 2.5 million that will cover the luxury tax penalty Abe will pay for signing Oberto and Davis? All of the other salaries were already on the books for this year and it’s not like Abe or Ernie knew the cap was going to go down so please don’t try to spin it like Abe spent any money this year to try and win a championship.

Do you understand anything about basketball? Have you ever laced them up and played the game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 27, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Larry,

At least I don't hit below the belt and you're a tar heel fan.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 27, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Start Miller and Blatche with BH, GA, & CB.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 27, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

signing roger mason last year instead of juan...yeah, that's worth another 20-25 wins for the wiz last year, right there. if it's not, might as well go with the cheaper player and plan for the next year. (besides, i like dixon - when he's a scorer, not a point guard)

Posted by: rm0659 | October 27, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I think this is the Cleveland Plain Dealer Cavs forum, with the way commentators sling garbage at each other.

Good for laughs I suppose.

Posted by: rickgonz | October 27, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

rickgonz

I am glad we can amuse you...it's a joke how some people on here can't handle someone with a different opinion?

Kal,

I did your homework for you....

Here are the saliries the Wizards traded to Minn, 5th pick last year would have signed for 3 million, DSong 4,526,000, OP 1,547,640, EThomas 7,350,000 = 16,423,640

They got back MM 9,750,000 and Foye 3,575,761= 13,325,761

The difference is Cheap Abe saved 3,097,879 and considering what he saved in luxury cap cash it's more like a savings of 6,195,758 + the 2.5 million for the 2nd round draft pick and in reality Cheap Abe didn't spend a dime in luxury cap cash this year.

Let's see Oberto cost him 2 million and Davis will sign for the league minimum which is I counted as 1 million so the true accounting payroll for the club is somewhere around 70,212,533 after the Minn trade which is 14th somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Lets see how you argue against facts?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 27, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

@bulletsfan

Spending money doesn't necessarily equate to winning basketball games. The New York Knicks spend, spend, spend, and they suck, suck, suck.

It seems like you'll only get on Abe's side if he signs more checks, but that's not always prudent, and certainly taking on Miller and Foye, regardless of the cost, made this team better than whoever was available with the fifth pick in the draft. If you can put together a good team on the cheap and win some ball games, more power to you. But just to be clear, Abe hasn't done that. He is spending money.

Posted by: CDon | October 27, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Whatever it takes for the #8 slot, 38 wins more or less.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Well, the long anticipated opening night has arrived. Lets see how ARENAS, OBERTO, FOYE, and MILLER fit on this team.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

First. Mason didn't leave because of money. He's not making that much more. They had money in 3 SG's. At the time it didn't make sense to keep Mason as a shooter off the bench. They expected more out of Young and Stevenson was solid. Dixon was brought into be a 3rd SG for depth...not play the minutes he actually did.

Do you know they didn't offer Bass the exception? So nice of Ernie to let you in on his conference calls. If you hadn't noticed, the trend was that the better players were going to the winning teams. Besides, Bass isn't winning anyone a championship. Get outta here.

Since you love homework so much. Don't forget in the NBA salaries must be within 5% of each other so they had to give up something. Besides, WHY PAY ETAN 7 MILLION DOLLARS?!?! Let him be someone else's problems. You're acting like we traded players that actually played (besides Songalia...yeah he's a championship piece.)

The Wizards salary is at 77.91 million. The cap is 58.68 million and the luxury tax is 69.92 million. How did 2.5 million dollars pay for a dollar for dollat tax of about 8 million? The cheap thing to do would have been to draft Rubio and make him stay in Europe. NOTHING goes on the books.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 27, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting your predictions. Right before tip off, I will screen shot the page and archive it for future laughs. Since I seem to be the most optimistic predictor here, I will probably be eating my hat.

Posted by: Blurred | October 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 27, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

BF78

I know we hashed out our differences about Abe a long time ago, but even if you are right, nobody dies when Wes runs the Bullets into the ground. Any negligence here is just us dumb fans spending money as opposed to criminal negligence resulting in thousands of deaths.

Posted by: Blurred | October 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"Nowhere close to what teams like Bos, SA, Orl, Clev and LA spent to have a chnce to win a championship."

Isnt our payroll 6th in the league this season? Comparable with everyone other than maybe LA? Arent we spending more than Marc Cuban this season? Didnt we offer Gil the MAX deal?

How do you get cheap Abe out of this?

Do you hate the man so much, that you cant even see having Miller/Foye rather than no-show Ricky Menudo or some other rookie was the smart basketball move?

Give it a rest dude!

Posted by: divi3 | October 27, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 27, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what's wrong why it keeps posting that...sorry guys.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 27, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

No worries, SDMDTSU. Maybe if he reads it enough times some of it might actually penetrate 78's concrete thick skull. (Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I knew if I posted the facts you would run away and hide from them like you always do!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Would those be the very same "facts" that SDMDTSU, divi3, and Blurred have so ably shot down already? They said everything I would have and, in the immortal words of David Byrne: say something once? Why say it again?

You might want to give those words some thought before your next idiotic "cheap Abe" rant.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse