Morning Buzz

The Wizards lost to the Hawks last night in a preseason game that Michael Lee described as "mostly an eyesore." Gilbert Arenas and Mike Miller were out with the flu, and the rest of the team "was out of this game before the start of the second period."

In today's newspaper, Wizards players expressed a variety of feelings about facing their former coach, Eddie Jordan, tonight. Caron Butler vacationed with him, while Arenas has been critical of him. Interestingly, In yesterday's Style section, Reliable Source reported that Eddie Jordan's wife hosted a baby shower for Arenas's fiancee last weekend.

* In his morning briefing, Bullets Forever's JakeTheSnake said last night's contest reminded him too much of last season.

* Truth About It found the effort disconcerting.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 20, 2009; 9:49 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hawks 113, Wizards 95
Next: Wizards (3-3) at Sixers (5-1)

Comments

There is no "feud" with Eddie Jordan it's just media driven hype.

Maybe Haywood has a problem with him, but that's it.

Posted by: twigmuffin | October 20, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually, in the piece in today's Post, Haywood makes it pretty clear that he doesn't have problem with Jordan.

ESPN's prediction for the Wizards' season. Their writers aren't quite as high on the Wiz as some around here.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Did Arenas and Miller get the flu shot that LeBron and company also got recently? I am just wondering why everyone is getting flu like symptoms or just suffering the flu after getting flu shots? Has anyone seen the following article? It is scary!

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 20, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Give the gang a little time.

(Oh, why do I even bother writing that? Even folks who promise to wait and see are back in a week complaining of broken promises. Let's face it: if we had the attention span of a bluebottle fly, would we have anything to do with the Internet?)

Of course it's unrealistic to expect playoff glory from a team that only won 19 games the preceding season. If we get it, we should consider our expectations exceeded, not met.

But try telling that to some fans.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 20, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The thing holding the so-called experts from rating the Wizards higher is the health issue and whether Gil can attain Agent0 level. The NBA is a superstars league and Agent0 is that for the Wizards. Not Caron. Not Antawn. Gil. Is Agent0 back? Who knows. We'll see.

Most of those experts look at Washington as a 19 win team. Then they say that Boston gets KG back, added Rasheed and Daniels. Cleveland got Shaq and some bigger wing players. Orlando gets Jameer back, and added Vince, Bass, and Ryan Nelson. But look what the 19 win team got: They got Gil, Brendan, and DeShawn back. They added Foye, Miller, and Oberto. That is a lot of additions but the experts only want to focus on Agent0.

I still stand by with Gil, Haywood, and DeShawn playing reasonably healthy last year, Washington would have been a 50 win team. Not a 41 win team. Now, that 50 win team added Foye, Miller, and Oberto.

I don't include Blatche, Nick, D-Mac, Critt, or MJames. I don't expect much from D-Mac, Critt, or MJames because of numbers and Blatche and Nick have to show consistency. Will they. I think Blatche and Nick will take a nice step this year.

Those experts want to consistly play the injury card and label Gil and Caron injury prone. Caron seems to be. Haywood had 1 injury. Antawn has proven durable. DeShawn had 1 back injury but has proven durable. Gil had the abdominal injury his first or second year and Washington. The knee injury is not sufficient to lable him injury prone because it took more than 1 year to fix the thing. But guess what, he is fixed. Gil is healthy.

So kalo-rama, I, like Caron, fear no team. Line them up. Let's play. If people like kalo-rama want to take a wait and see approach to validate the wizards, that is their perogative. Me, I am not gonna go and give everybody else the benefit of the doubt and not do the same for the Wizards, cause for that matter, Shaq is old and injury prone too, but give him the benefit of the doubt. Vince Carter has not proven to be anything than a dunker and scorer. He can be a bad teammate and selfish. But now that he is on Orlando, he gets the benefit of the doubt and is a great addition. Atlanta aint done nothing ever, but give them the benefit of the doubt. KG is back and Ray is getting old. Rasheed can be poisonous and a distraction. But Boston gets the benefit of the doubt. That same benefit they give everybody else, I give the Wizards.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at the ESPN panel results... and basically even with the injury caveats they put the Wizards only one rung lower than most of the faithful in DC would have... average rating 5.1 whereas we would put them one rung higher... Basically, for the Wizards, the road to NBA East respectability (including a first-round home court advantage) goes through Atlanta. I can live with that.

Posted by: khrabb | October 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Question guys. Would you be upset if we benched DS & NY and gave those minutes to James. I ask this because on another Wiz board a guy who went to the game last night said that James was the best player on the team and that Foye struggled running the O. That prompted alot of other Wiz fans to say trade Foye. Thats when I responded with this. Im not saying this is what I would do either but I would do this before trading Foye:

Are you guys insane? Trade Foye? I cant beleive people keep saying that. Again for the hundreth time, Gil is going to play like 36-38mpg. That means Foye will only be the point for 10-12min and the rest of the time he will be at the 2. 1 thing you cant argue is that he has been a monster at the 2 and if you put him beside Gil then he would dominate.

If you want to make a change in the rotation then you could bench DS & NY who arent doing much of anything and have James & Foye come off the bench together so that Foye is always at the 2. Just like James play those 10-12mpg that Gil isnt playing. That will leave like 60min between that 2 guard spot and the backup Caron minutes where you could just let Foye & Miller split it 30-30 or whatever. Infact, if you wanted to play James in that role then you could also for the 1st time really decide to go with Foye as the starting 2 and bring Miller off the bench to play with James on that 2nd unit. Seriously, Im not trading Foye because I think he is a junior Wade at the 2 and will end up playing more at the 2 anyways. Stevenson & NY havent impressed so lets go with James in that stretch. That lineup sounds pretty darn good to me.

Posted by: dlts20 | October 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Newsflash: There's no choice but to take a "wait and see" approach because, last I checked, the NBA doesn't declare a winner until after the games have actually been played.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

As for the rotation: I couldn't care less who plays and who sits, as long as they win. If it looks like James can get the job done, play him. If not, don't. That said, there's a reason James has more team jersey's in his closet than a Hall of Fame display.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

More team jerseys in his closet . . .

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 1:37 PM

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 20, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Mike James has always been a scorer rather than a setup guy. That said, if he outplays others than by all means put him in the lineup.

Foye could (should?) start at 2, he will absolutely thrive playing next to Gil.

AB sucked balls last night, and now is talking about how pumped he is to play his old nemesis Eddie Jordan tonight.

Ok Andray, let's see what the eff you've got in this game you are so motivated for. Drop a 20/10+ and show us you can be a starter in this league one day!

Posted by: divi3 | October 20, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Well, not that much different really. The average ranking is 5.1 in the east.

I think if all healthy, Wiz can be #4 in the east. But throw in some fuzzy factors, such as Jamison's situation and who knows what may happen to other players, I think #5 is fair.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 20, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll say #4-#6 in the East is fair. I would have for sure put them in the top 4 if they had gotten Camby or McDyess instead of Oberto.

Still wish we had drafted Blair (in the 2nd round), or have kept Songaila. Our PF is thin.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

dude...paul davis had the same numbers as Blair did his last outing...and in about half the minutes.

Mike James had 8 asst 6pts and 4 boards last night...not that it means a thing, but for those of you who like to do this, thats 12 asst, 9 pts and 6 boards per 36. WE'VE GOT THE NEXT SCOTTIE PIPPEN!!!!

Posted by: Blurred | October 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Blair averaged 14 points and 8 rebounds in 18 minutes during preseason. Paul Davis avergaed 4 points and 2 rebounds in 6 minutes; even if you multiply that by 3... (well, you can do the math yourself.)

Heck, I would not mind keeping Paul Davis, but do you realize that even if we sign him at 1 yr minimum salary, he will still be more expensive than Blair at 2nd round rookie salary!

Posted by: sagaliba | October 20, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

blair had 7 pts, 2 boards and 2 assts his last outing in 10 minutes

davis had 8pts, 3 boards and a steal in 6 minutes.

one game isn't a fair comparison, hence my sarcastic remark about Mike James being Scottie Pippen, but neither are 3 pre-season games.

Both will probably play some this season.

Neither will contribute significantly.

That said, there was little harm in taking Blair, I just doubt it will matter one way or the other.

I still predict that James (mike) will have more ppg than Blair this season.

But Brendon Haywood will have more petulant whines per 36 minutes played than the two of them combined.

Posted by: Blurred | October 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I would be all about davis making the squad, he was real solid at michigan state possessing a good skill set for a big and he seemed to be a smart player with adequate athleticism, but seeing as how we have to pay the luxury tax on him there's no chance he sticks

Posted by: bford1kb | October 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

that being said I was giddy when I saw blair was still on the board for our 2nd rounder but unbelievably pissed when I saw we didn't draft him, but the spurs, the best franchise in basketball over the past 15 years, took him instead

Posted by: bford1kb | October 20, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"Then you also wait and see on Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando, not just the Washington!"

I haven't made any predictions for anyone to win the title, so I am, in fact, waiting to see on the entire NBA. Any presumption to the contrary is a logical flaw on your part.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I agree that a 4 or 5 in the East sounds about right for expectations. But I don't know how ESPN got a 5.1 average rating out of the predictions on their panel. My math tells me that they're 'experts' have the Wizards at a 6.3 average....

Posted by: skinsnwiz | October 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Paul Davis will probably find a job holding down the end of someone's bench.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 20, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i was amused that the narrator referred to nick young's ally oop as a missed layup. i suppose it's possible, but with a lot of the guys on the wizards, nick young in particular, it seems like the only thing they like better than scoring is setting mcgee up for an alley oop.

Posted by: crs-one | October 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | October 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

again. reaching.

Posted by: crs-one | October 20, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsnwiz
------------------------------------------

I think that's because those who picked Wizards being worse than #5 picked different teams at 5. So only 4 teams ranked ahead of Wizards on average. Although I do not know exactly how they got to 5.1, some kind of normalization I think.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 20, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsnwiz
------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

Numbers say the darndest things...lol

Posted by: skinsnwiz | October 20, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Any update on who will play today?

Posted by: arenasmvp | October 20, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for sitting the core guys as much as possible until the season starts. Pre-season injuries to Woodman and Jamison are enough.

The pre-season's too long anyway, it's simply a reflection of the owners' insatiable lust for money.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | October 20, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree Blair would not have made or broke this upcoming season. However if something is wrong with AJ, or a bunch of other players and our team gets blown up...

...that is why you make good use of draft picks (and smart use of financial resources) and take Blair. I turned off the draft when the Wiz came up with Blair on the board. I went to go celebrate, only later to find out in absolute amazement what hadn't occurred.

Posted by: jaguar2490 | October 20, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse