Morning buzz

Michael Lee writes in this morning's newspaper about how guard Randy Foye is adusting to Flip Saunders' offense.

* Mike Jones focuses on Nick Young in today's Washington Times.

* David Aldridge wrote a nice story about Saunders for nba.com.

* Yesterday Bethlehem Shoals Tweeted that writing about the Wizards was getting weirder and weirder for him. Here's his Wizards preview for the Sporting News.

* Bullets Forever presents the Wizards' preseason by the numbers.

* Truth About It offers screen shot lessons from the Philly game.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 22, 2009; 9:33 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning buzz
Next: Wizards cut Vincent Grier, roster down to 15

Comments

I wonder who that hardheaded player is.

First.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 22, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Segundo.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 22, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

When you look at the pre-season stats on dougstats.com, it seems that the Wiz have only 7 players who are average or above average in NBA quality. Oberto probably is just below average and McGee has the potential to become average (or better).

All of sudden, I like an eight-man rotation with spot minutes for the other players.

I hope we get to see GA and MM together in the backcourt in Chicago.

Posted by: Izman | October 22, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

speaking of Javale....watching a highlight package of him yesterday it's so obvious how much better than Haywood or Blatche he's going to be.

And no, I dont mean just the dunks.

The jumpers, blocks, skying for boards, and most of all, the way he runs the floor like a gazelle.

We gots a keeper i think

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Javale is not better then Brendan yet...he is more exciting but he needs to learn defensive rotations, defending pick and roll...etc...you saw the HIGHLIGHT package...big difference from watching his actual defensive tendencies

Posted by: merajc86 | October 22, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I didnt say he was better than Brendon, I said how obvious it is he will be better than Brendon or Blatche

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

from previous thread....this is addressed to bulletsfan78 in response to:

G-Man11

There are people who will still defend George W. for going into Iraq even though they never found any weapons of mass destruction?

I understand you are a Gil guy and he can do no wrong in your eyes.

I believe, until he is willing to get his team mates involved before trying to score his points he will never win a championship.

So far he's been just another AI and how many championships did he win?

Hopefully Flip can convince him to change his game.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 22, 2009 9:32 AM

Who was the point guard on Jordan's Bulls? Who is the point guard on the Lakers? Cleveland? Those lil guys who bring the ball up on those teams are not "point guards". And neither is LeBron, Kobe, or Jordan. The point is they are ball players. So is Gil. He may not be on there level, but he is. He does pass the ball too. bulletsfan78, why do you act like he does not pass? He is not a pure point guard. Stop trying to make him CP3 or JKidd. But, in the same manner, CP3 or Kidd can't put 60 on you either and how many rings do they have? Also, Mike Miller will be Jordan's Paxson or BJ Armstrong for Arenas. Miller or DeShawn can be to Arenas, what Fisher is to Kobe. And Cleveland, they don't even have a point guard. So, what is your point bulletsfan78?

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 22, 2009 11:18 AM |

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 22, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

And no, I dont mean just the dunks.

We gots a keeper i think

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 11:09 AM |

JaVale is a keeper, but he is still green. I compare him to a shorter Ralph Sampson. He is more athletic than KG, which says a lot. He needs KG's mental.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 22, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

McGee reminds me of Rahseed Wallace during his rookie season in DC. All arms, legs, and alley-oops, with nary a clue about the fundamentals of the game.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

------

Totally different from my perspective. Nothing wrong with Rasheed's fundamentals -- but his temperament was questionable, even back then. The problem was that he played the same position as CWebb, so he got shipped off for a point guard we needed, not that he helped. Looking back, he may have been the guy we should have kept.

Lots of teams will want McGee, but we should invest in him staying here. Great attitude. Incredible athleticism.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 22, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"He needs KG's mental."

KG's faux rage annoys the hell out of me, but it does seem to work.

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@Izman
You really can't go by starts to decide the worth of a player. You really have to watch the games to see the value of an Oberto.

Posted by: GoEagles | October 22, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

stats not starts :)

Posted by: GoEagles | October 22, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Okay, traditional stats don't pick up the value of a player, particularly on the defensive end or even how a player fits with various rotations.

But one can find stats that shows that the Spurs let up more points when Oberto was on the floor last year than when he was off the floor.

Also, almost every 5 man rotation with Oberto at center last year was negative, even with Duncan at forward.

Don't get me wrong - I think he was a great pick-up - at $2M. He just doesn't command an average NBA player salary.

I'm just trying to be realistic. He'll be a contributor, just not a star.

Posted by: Izman | October 22, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"He needs KG's mental."

KG's faux rage annoys the hell out of me, but it does seem to work.

Posted by: divi3

I meant KG's mental toughness minus his antics.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 22, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"Nothing wrong with Rasheed's fundamentals --"

Not now. But that first year with the Bullets, his only offensive move was the alley-oop throwdown. Howard and Webber would throw him lobs from behind the half court line and he'd damn near hit his head on the girders in the Cap Center/US Airways going after them. He was all athleticism and no real idea how to use it. He learned and there's no reason to think McGee can't.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Javale even with bad fundamentals has a positive impact on the game. It makes it hard for me to accept the excuses for not playing him. I know what some will say, and I do think has to keep working very hard to polish his game. But he brings the element we sorely need.

Posted by: millineumman | October 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Oberto has been a starting center on teams team that won it all (SA Spurs/ Argentina). I don't think anyone expects him to be a star, but just watching him this pre-season, I feel he is going to end up playing 15 to 20 minutes and helping the Wiz a lot. The only thing I think he doesn't do above average is score. Right now, he boxes out, sets picks, takes charges, passes in the post better than most big men in the league and anyone on the Wiz.

Posted by: GoEagles | October 22, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, I've been impressed by Oberto's interior passing. Problem is, since he poses zero offensive threat, teams will be more than willing to sag off of him to take away the passing lanes and force him to make an offensive move himself with the ball. That is not a good thing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

A couple thoughts:
Raweed was sent packing for the reasons mentioned above AND because Abe and Wes thought he was a bad influence on the rest of the team. But I remember him flailing around the court 2 steps ahead of everyone else. I wouldn't mind if McGee learned just as he did.

Also, having had the luck to have stood next to both McGee and Sampson, I will say that McGee already has more muscle than Sampson had. The problem is that the NBA has 3 times more muscle now than in the 80's.

Oberto is fine, Haywood is the best center we have right now, and that scares me. He is average. I am predicting that McGee will start to eat away at his minutes as the season wears on.

I hope that McGee comes round this year so we don't waste $10 mil a year on Haywood and a 5 year contract this summer. Its good to have options.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

One last comment about McGee:

Has anyone else noticed that he has this weird "half-hop" thathe does before he moves?

It is the physical manifestation of saying "ummmm" before starting yoru sentence.

I think it allows his opposition to get ahalf or whole step out the gate before he even starts a lateral move.

Like when someone shoots and misses and the other team gets the rebound, he bounces straight up before starting to run back court. I hope someone is working on him about it and I didn't notice it as much last game, so maybe he is breaking the habit.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"The only thing I think he doesn't do above average is score."

His stats suggest he doesnt rebound or block shots well either.

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If McGee does work his way into the rotation, one advantage might be that it would allow Oberto to play more at PF, where I think he'll be more effective.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oberto is what he is. A solid role player from a winning pedigree. He does all the little things well. You put his head on McGee's body and you probably have one of the best players in the league. Trying to make him into something he is not is stupid as is downplaying what he can do.

McGee is not going to see major mins this year barring injury. It's just not going to happen. He makes a nice highlight package for about 2/3 plays a game and that's it. A solid every play player he is not. Hell, he is not even in great playing shape, which is step one for every athlete and a major indictment on his work habits. I like his upside as much as the next person, but I am just saying slow down a little. He is 2/3 years away from being a every game dependable player.

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The only way for Mcgee to learn "all the little things" is to practice them and then put them into play during games. I think his upside is big enough that he will see plenty of PT this year.

But then again, I'm one of those who thinks Oberto is being wildly overrated by some.

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Trying to make him into something he is not is stupid as is downplaying what he can do."

I'm 100% certain I was doing neither of those things.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse