Morning brew

(Yes, we changed it from buzz to brew.)

Depressed about the Redskins? Well for contrast, read Michael Lee's story from this morning's newspaper, in which he writes about the Wizards' boundless optimism as they prepare for tonight's season opener at Dallas.

* The Washington Times's Mike Jones also wrote about the team's sunny outlook.

* While the Times's Tom Knott weighs in on the Wizards' injury issues.

* Also, Caron Butler has a blog on on nba.com.

* Here's the Wizards' season preview from Ball Don't Lie.

* And here's Marc Stein's revised power rankings, factoring in Antawn Jamison's injury.

* The Wizards already got a sample of tonight's opponent, the new and improved Dallas Mavericks, when they got hammered in their only home game of the preseason. The Mavericks want to be more than just the Dirk Nowitzki show and Mark Cuban has done everything his power (and wallet) to keep his franchise/foundation guy rolling into the postseason.

* Dallas has done a lot to improve in the offseason, but it still is in the Western Conference, where the Lakers, San Antonio and Portland also got better this summer. Will all the moves matter?

* The Mavericks have more talent and depth, and they need it because Josh Howard remains out with an injured left ankle and left wrist. Mavericks Coach Rick Carlisle says he could be out "awhile."

Elsewhere in the league:

* If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Say it ain't so, Antonio! Did Antonio Daniels's three-plus years in Washington mean nothing? Former Wizard set to sign with ... Cleveland? With Maryland native Delonte West's situation growing more bizarre, the Cavaliers need help in the backcourt. [Added 10:29 am]

* Remember the disappointment on the night of the lottery when the Wizards failed to get the No. 1 pick? Well, imagine the heartache this morning if they had won the rights to Blake Griffin. Griffin could miss the first six weeks of the season wtih a fractured patella. And you thought only the Wizards were cursed?

By Alexa Steele  |  October 27, 2009; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis claims 15th spot
Next: 2009-10 Season Opener, Wizards at Dallas

Comments

Mike Miller has to win his matchup vs Quiton Ross.

Haywood must win his matchup vs Erick Dampier.

Let NY take on the Jason Terry challenge instead of DeBrick.

My 2 cents for a victory tonight.

Posted by: elfreako | October 27, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

With Jamison out, a road game in Dallas (or Atlanta next) isn't a good test of where this team is at.

New Jersey at home (3rd game)will be telling. Last year we lost the first game at home to NJ.

I'd hate to see a white flag of surrender too often at the start of the season.

Posted by: Izman | October 27, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

so who is starting at the 2 spot tonight?

i think to balance out scoring and bench production it should be nick young. and have foye,stevenson and miller on the perimeter with blatche and haywood/oberto

Posted by: mrhney03 | October 27, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Hey LA Clippers "AH HA"!
Sorry Blake, nothing against you.

Is this true Caron has a blog? I wonder if he will get critisized like Gil?

Okay with the silliness out the way. No excuses to not win tonight. It won't be the end of the world but its time to start getting better and expecting to go out whip people.

Posted by: millineumman | October 27, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, the Mavs are a tough matchup out of the gate, and it really doesn't get much easier through November. But I'm like the Wizards, wearing my rose-colored glasses. If we can stay at or above .500 through the first 15 games or so, we'll be sitting pretty. But if we start like we did last year, it could get ugly. Not as ugly as the Redskins, but ugly.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 27, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I actually think this is a good place for the Wizards to start. They get to play a team who isn’t known for playing a lot of “D”, which should help them find some much needed offensive chemistry.

CP ate Kidd up the last time in the playoffs and Kidd is a year older so we will see if Gil is back to his old form.

I think the biggest problem will be how AB and Oberto guard Dirk? Are they both going to be in foul trouble by half time?

Win or lose the season doesn’t really start till about 10 games after AJ comes back. That’s when we will see what this team can really do. Larry, run and gun!

Good luck, break a leg….sorry knowing this team that might just happen.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 27, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Gooden won the starting job battle against Dampier. However, Carlisle also said that he could still switch depending on the matchup. With Wood being so big, I wouldnt be shocked to see Dampier start but they did kill us in Preseason with Gooden starting so he will probably stick with that group, espicaly since he can hit the J and Wood doesnt like to come out that far.

Personaly, the biggest thing to me is Gil. This Dallas team defensively still struggles with that high screen just like it did with Wade in the finals. Who on there back line is going to stop Gil off the high screen when he splits the double? Dirk, Gooden, Dampier, and Humphries? If Gil is aggressive then he can shoot 20ft's by doing this and could possibly get Dirk in foul trouble which would be huge. I hope he doesnt back down from Kidd like he's done in the past and just settle for half hearted jumpers all game. If he attacks these boys at full speed then we will be in it and then the pressure falls on them

Posted by: dlts20 | October 27, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Gil gets 5 assists to Miller alone. I'm afraid it's going to take awhile for Gil's shot to start falling regularly, but I do expect we'll see Agent Zero type aggressiveness from him which is exactly what Flip wants and what we need.

Go wiz!

Posted by: divi3 | October 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The biggest concern is turnovers. They had too many turnovers in the preseason, a sign that they don't have the offensive scheme down yet. Hopefully, they can do better in the season opener.

As for starting SG, if we are starting Oberto at PF, then we need to start either NY or Miller for offense. I am not sure NY has shown consistency enough to be a starter; he still looks like hot and cold to me. OTOH, he seems to play better when he starts, so nay be that's the argument for him to start. Well, Miller isn't consistent during the preseason either, but he is a vet, and he started before, so there is less a problem. Jamison will be out for 10+ games, if NY cannot show consistency, then for sure to start Miller.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 27, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

So...

Gil
Miller
Caron
Oberto
BTH

?

I'd actually rather see Blatche get a vote of confidence at 4. Get him in the fold right away.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 27, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

OK...I know I ragged on folks not being specific, but I am torn:

or maybe a 12 and 7.

I just don't know.

Posted by: Blurred | October 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey, hey, hey, FAT ALBERT here. Par-tay time in DALLAS. Let's go WIZARDS.

Glad to see DAVIS is on the roster as comfort food while JAMISON is out. I think EG should take a look at GARRETT SILER however. I believe in his NBA future at 6'11" 305.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Miller needs to come off the bench. If Foye's going to be the primary backup PG, they're going to need Miller out there with him to stabilize things and keep the ball moving.

Young can "start" at SG as long as he isn't really playing starters minutes. They just need someone to play off of Arenas and Butler and provide an offense jolt to start the game. As soon as his poor ballhandling and decision making start working in the other team's favor, yank him.

If Crittenton were healthy, the best solution would be to start Foye at SG,have JC be the primary backup at PG, and bypass Young altogether. But, alas . . .

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 27, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

After reading the optomistic smoke that MICHAEL LEE reported pouring forth from the player's mouths, it will be interesting to see if indeed rebirthed synergies are the operative words tonight, or rather the same old hackneyed defense. If you can't stop 'um, pack it in, 'cause you ain't gonna' out score the MAVERICKS in the same tried and blue WIZARDS free-for-all fashion they've employed on offense over the past six years.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

kalo-rama:

Agree. Sure glad to see the CRITTER still on the WIZARDS pine, slowly recouperating from his summer misadventure. I thought with his unauthorized injury in ATLANTA that he'd be toast, but maybe EG can appreciate genuine talent when he sees it. I'll bet J-CRIT doesn't run off to anymore summer leagues after this experience.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"I htink Gil has just been toying with us and is going to have a 30 pt, 10 assist 6 rebound game tonight."

i think he will try and have that game, but fear his shot wont be there. It's hard to envision after 2 years off he can step back in and drop DAGGERS. i dont care what went on in various summer leagues or whatever.

I want to see clear evidence that having Haywood immediately improves our defense.

Mcgee had some good moments in the 1st half against Mavs during preseason, hopefully he gets some PT.

Most important of all- Caron, you gotta hit some shots and make some critical plays like you used to. dont start the season slumping, cant afford to with Antawn out

Posted by: divi3 | October 27, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, i might cry, just a little, if antonio daniels signs with the cavaliers. i'd be happy that he'd have a place, but...anyone else...

Posted by: crs-one | October 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to count your blessings that Snyder only owns one team in town. There are other experiences last night just like this one.

"At half time, I went down to the concessions area to get a beer and a dog. Of course, the crowd was once again getting restless at the lack of productivity we were seeing on the field. Standing two rows away from me in line, were two middle aged men. One wore a T-shirt that read "Fire Snyder", the other's said "Fire Vinny". It wasn't long after standing there that the men were surrounded by close to a dozen people wearing yellow security jackets. The conversation between them and the two men escalated quickly as security asked the men to remove their shirts. Of course the men refused, and one stated that he had been a season ticket holder for 26 years. The conversation continued to get heated and before you knew it 6 or 7 armed security officers formed a circle around the layer of yellowed jacketed security officers. "Sir, you're about to lose those season tickets if you don't take off that shirt" is what he was told. I don't know what got into me but I had seen enough and had to speak up. This was beyond absurd! I cut across a crowd of people, entering the circle of security.... I said " these guys should be able to wear whatever they want! What the hell is going on? What the hell is this? Communist Russia??? ". I was quickly greeted with a stern warning to not interfere and a shove in the chest that sent me back a few feet. A few minutes later, the men were escorted out of the area and a security woman approached me with an explanation about their actions. "Look, I know what you're saying, and I can't say that I don't agree with you, but I'm a part-time teacher and this job is my Holiday money"...."upper management told us to come up here and ask these men to remove their shirts and I can't lose my job, so I'm doing it."

I decided then and there that I would NEVER again set foot in Fed Ex Stadium as long as Dan Snyder was the owner. The way I saw people being treated for voicing their opinions on this night embarrassed me as a Redskin fan, a Washingtonian, and as an American. These sort of totalitarian strong arm tactics are downright shameful and I needed to let others know about it. I hope you share this story with your audience.

A deeply embarrassed Redskins fan

Posted by: CedarR | October 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse"

Posted by: croftonpost | October 27, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I've been a season ticket holder for a long time, and last night was the first game I finally blew off, glad I did.

Skins will face blackouts next season, guarantee.

But the 60 win Wiz wont!!

Posted by: divi3 | October 27, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse