Morning Buzz

As the Wizards gear up to face the Pistons in Grand Rapids, Mich., tonight, Flip Saunders isn't the only one looking forward to a reunion.

Pistons guard Will Bynum draws inspiration from Gilbert Arenas, A. Sherrod Blakely reports in m.live.com. Their paths have crossed a couple of times.

Will Bynum was a freshman at Arizona when Gilbert Arenas, just a few months into his NBA career with the Golden State Warriors, returned to campus.
Arenas talked of the challenges he faced as a second-round pick trying to crack the rotation as a rookie with the Warriors.
"I saw the frustration in his eyes when he was talking to me," Bynum said. "He was telling me how hard he was working and how (not playing) just fueled him. I had kind of a similar path."

* The Washington Times's Mike Jones writes that many Wizards are still adjusting to their roles as Arenas gets used to the new offense.

* Here's an amusing photo of Caron Butler, courtesy of Truth About It washingtonwizards.com .

* And, finally, what do you think of Arenas's TNT commercial with Rainn Wilson?

By Alexa Steele  |  October 13, 2009; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Buzz
Next: Miller To Start At SG, Arenas Might Sit

Comments

Good article in the Times. I agree with Foye starting at the 2 and then moving over to the 1. But it's too early to settle on this approach. I'd keep experimenting with rotations up to the last exhibition game.

I'd also keep Jamison out of the Detroit game and Arenas out of the Cleveland game.

The Wiz are a work in progress, but that's to be expected.

Posted by: Izman | October 13, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The problem is if Foye starts at the 2, then there will be no viable back-up at PG when Arenas sits. I would love to see that starting backcourt, but I think it's best to have Foye coming off the bench to set up the second team and still have him play major mins, a la Antonio Daniels 2 or 3 yrs ago...

Posted by: -CN- | October 13, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I've only seen the 1 preseason game at home...but I like what Foye brings and think he should get a ton of minutes on the floor with Gil.

Then let Nick Young's commitment to defense be the factor that eats away at Foye's minutes at 2.

Of course, my rational self tells me this team isnt going to be committed to defense and that going from the league's dregs defensively to average is the best we can hope for

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: -CN- | October 13, 2009 9:54 AM

The difference is Antonio Daniels is a true point guard and Foye, at least from early indications, is not. Play Foye at his natural position until or unless Gil gets hurt and only then should they slide him over to the point. Foye has to be paired with a "setup" 2-guard (Stephenson or Miller) IMHO.

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 13, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Arenas 36 minutes a game; 24 with Foye and 12 with Miller or Young

Foye 36 minutes a game; 24 with Arenas and 12 with Miller or Young

96 total minutes in the backcourt; either Arenas or Foye are always on the court (and half of the game they share the backcourt).

But the competition for the starting 2 should continue for a few more games. So far, no one has really stood out.

The rest of the league has improved. The Wiz someone better than DS at the 2.

Posted by: Izman | October 13, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Is the game being televised?

Posted by: VBFan | October 13, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Foye has been seen for a solid half a year as a point gard, he failed on that position.They need another point gard and let him play his natural position.He could give us 15-20 points pernight with a reasonable defense.Put NY, MJ, DS & AF on the trade block for a true point gard and a dependable big man that can play both 4 and 5.

Posted by: gtefferra | October 13, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@ Firuz1

I would not consider AD a true point-guard, he's more of a combo guard, but because his shooting touch was never great, that played a factor in his position.

If this team wants the best players to start, I think Foye should be in the backcourt at the opening tip. However, since Critt is hurt (and may have not otherwise be ready to provide steady backup PG play), Foye would help stabilize the second unit, but still play major mins...

Posted by: -CN- | October 13, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The rest of the league has improved. The Wiz someone better than DS at the 2.
Posted by: Izman | October 13, 2009 10:15 AM

u must not have seen the Wiz yet this year. this is what Ivan Carter had to say about Mr. Fifty:

"Stevenson, to my surprise, seemed to show no ill-effects from the back surgery. He moved well on the court, had no trouble getting into his defensive crouch and showed good lateral movement. Obviously the real test will be how it responds to repeated action over several games. But if his back holds up, I expect he'll be the starter come opening day. The ball movement and offensive flow when he was out there with the Big 3 and Haywood was very crisp, largely a result of their familiarity with one another. Flip is too smart a coach not to notice and take advantage of that."

Posted by: prescrunk | October 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

you can't say "sure he plays D, who cares?" that's like saying "sure roger mason hits 3 pointers, but who cares?"
CRS-one

You are playing a Kal game here by not posting the whole quote. I followed up that line with "but he still gets beat." Meaning he PLAYS Defense, but he's not very good at it.

Anyway...the point of my post was the same as yours: Jamison and Haywood do different things, so maybe they complement each other.

However, Jamison gets ridden hard by the posters here but haywood gets pretty much a pass, even though he is only so-so at the things he does, while Jamison is terrific at the things he does.

I'd love to see Jamison play solid lock down D, but I'll take 20&9 and be pleased with that. He outproduces 90% of the PFs in the league.

As far as Haywood's FT shooting goes, he is a career 62% FT shooter and that is skewed by his one 75% season. Every other season has him in the low 60's and 50's. If he was playing like Shaq, I'd give him a pass on this.

Just saying. Folks who want to ditch Jamison and re-sign Haywood next year don't make much sense. We have to deal with Haywood this year and hopefully find us a better replacement for the future and the sooner the better.

I will hope for the best with him, cuz he is important, though.

Posted by: Blurred | October 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"If this team wants the best players to start, I think Foye should be in the backcourt at the opening tip."

Saunders is already on record as saying that the starting lineup won't be based on playing the 5 best players, but rather the 5 players that play best together.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 13, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Flip would ever do it, but I would like to see the Wizards use a platoon system that Dean Smith used to use at North Carolina in years when they were very deep.

He would send in 5 completely new players at a time who would come with incredible energy for 5 minutes or so -- and then go back to the starters. This wore down the other team and kept his starters fresh.

I don't know if this would work in pro ball, but Dean Smith was a genius in the college game. I am not a Carolina fan, but I respected Smith as an innovative coach.

Posted by: joyster8 | October 13, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | October 13, 2009 1:14 PM

----------

your quote was not taken out of context. by saying "sure he plays D" you were acknowledging his role. if that's not what you intended, then perhaps you didn't phrase your statement the way you meant it. which is fine, that's what replies are for, you correct yourself.

now if you're saying he's not very good at defense, that's when things get hairy. it gets into a lot of subjectivity about something that is not immediately quantifiable. really, the only thing you said to indicate that he was a bad defender is when you said he gets beat. everybody gets beat. so saying he gets beat doesn't fully convey the idea that he's bad at defense.

whether he's a "very good defender" or not is a matter of opinion. but if you say he's a poor defender, you're in a minority. he's a good defender and he makes the team a better defensive team when he's on the floor. he's not elite. but you don't have to be elite to be valuable.

as for his free throws, there's a difference between a bad free throw shooter and a bad career free throw shooter. if he maintains the progress he made before, you can't call his free throw shooting a liability. if he regresses, fire away. but to use his past and call him a bad free throw shooter when, at this point in time, he is solid, is just a stretch.

perhaps we both agree that haywood and jamison are complementary. but that was not the point of your post. the point of your post was to turn the jamison argument and make it about haywood. i haven't heard anybody say they want to ditch jamison and resign haywood, certainly not enough people to regard it as a sentiment with any degree of traction. there are people who judge jamison unfairly, and there are people who judge haywood unfairly. two separate issues. so i'm not sure where you were going with your original premise However, Jamison gets ridden hard by the posters here but haywood gets pretty much a pass, . turning the discussion toward trashing haywood doesn't make jamison appear better. it just adds to the trash.

Posted by: crs-one | October 13, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Arenas TORCHED the Pistons today.

Posted by: arenasmvp | October 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse