Morning Buzz

The Wizards defeated the LeBron-less Cavaliers in last night's preseason game, but lost Antawn Jamison in the first quarter with what the team is calling a sprained right shoulder. He will have an MRI today.

Jamison expressed optimism that he would return soon, but Michael Lee has a different point of view.

* As did Mike Jones of the Washington Times.

* More observations, via Bullets Forever's JakeTheSnake.

* Truth About It looks at a third-quarter trend and offers an amusing solution to Mike Miller's shoe dilemma.

* Back to LeBron, Michael Lee branches out to the Style section today with a feature about James's documentary, "More Than a Game," which opens in area theaters on Friday.

Elsewhere in the league:

* The Detroit Free Press's Vince Ellis sees hopeful signs in former Wizard Kwame Brown.

* Here's an awkward moment for Maryland native Michael Beasley, via Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 15, 2009; 9:26 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 109, Cavaliers 104
Next: Jamison to Miss Remainder of Preseason

Comments

FIRST?

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

and only

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I was just reading an article about Anthony Randolph with the Warriors and it occurred to me that AB is a very similar player. Ppl are raving about the multidimensional skills Randolph brings to the table and I see a lot of that in AB...maybe even more. Some were willing to give up on AB but (and I said this last year) the dude is the most talented player on our roster. As someone else pointed out, he dominated the game for a stretch last night. He made a couple of steals in a row, grabbed boards, led the break and made a nice pass to a wing man for a layup. He even outran a guard who was trying to chase him down for a layup.

I'm not saying he's a star yet but he certainly has a better chance than anyone else on this roster...excluding the big 3. He's more ready to break out than JM and NY (whom I like).

On a side note, it appears that NY may the the odd man out. That could change, of course, but all signs seem to point to MM being the 2.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Now the reality...AB gets a lot of petty fouls called on him because he gets no respect yet from the refs. He's also not the swiftest afoot and needs to continue to work on his perimeter defense. Guys that take him outside and try to run by him seem to have some success.
Give him time. He'll be better than alright.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Was it my imagination or did Andray Blatche had 16 pts, 8 rebounds, +8 (+/-) in just over 5 mins? What does Michael Lee mean when he said that there is no "serviceable" backup for Jamison? The way I see it, there is basically no drop off with the current roster, especially for the last 2 games when Haywood, Butler and now Jamison has missed time and games. I believe both games were competitive and both games resulted in wins. I will take this line up any day now that I have seen with my own eyes the depth that it can bring. Blatch, Miller and Foyle were just monsters last night.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 15, 2009 10:21 AM

Wasn't your imagination. You just paid too much attention to the box score, which, if you saw the game, you know inaccurately showed him as playing five + minutes. Andray started the game and played about 30 minutes, but he looked tremendous. If he plays like that during the regular season (and AJ doesn't miss an appreciable amount of time), we should be locked in come the playoffs.

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

No one has ever questioned that AB has skills...but he's been prone to boneheaded plays and inconsistency his whole career. Great one night, horrid the next 2, etc. Type of player called coach killers.

Hopefully coaching is indeed the key, and Flip will bring out the best in AB every night rather than the 1 outta 3 nights EJ seemed to muster from him

Posted by: divi3 | October 15, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm of the opinion that maturity (both physical as well as emotional)as well as a coaching change will bring out a new AB. I saw him running out and getting into a defensive crouch quite a few times last night. He is really trying to do the right thing on defense and we all know he can score.
I hope AJ is going to be ok but I certainly wouldn't turn in my season tickets if AJ missed 20 games or so. In fact, I think it would benefit us in the long term.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

A loss of Jamison for an extended period would have catastrophic effects on the Wizards. Not only does AB only bring it about 1 in 3 games, he's not a consistent perimeter threat that helps spread the floor like AJ and his rebounding is mediocre at best. Yes, he looked good last night against Cleveland's small forwards (which is where he started) and against inexperienced reserves. I shudder at the thought of him trying to cover Dirk Nowitzki in the opener or any other top power forward.

On a positive note, I do remember that Jamison went down with a sprained shoulder late in the 2007-2008 season and was back within a couple of weeks and it had no long term effects. I guess we'll have to wait until after he has the MRI and hope for the best. But the curse of Les Boulez....

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 15, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"I was just reading an article about Anthony Randolph with the Warriors and it occurred to me that AB is a very similar player"

Now that I don't see.

Blatche is 248; Randolph came into the league around 200 and is now flirting with 210. Randolph is raw and probably not as skilled, but far more athletic. Looks like he'd be a 3 rather than a 4 if he had an outside shot, which he doesn't.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Observation (let me know what you folks think).

The whole purpose of passing and being unselfish is to get guys open looks at the basket in order to get uncontested shots. I'm all for being unselfish, and it is critical to winning basketball. However, if the purpose of passing is to get open looks and you are passing up those open looks, doesn't it defeat the purpose? The ball movement looks great early on, but aesthetics don't win games. Outscoring the other team wins games.

Guys need to play to their strengths. The Mike Miller I saw last night is the Mike Miller I want to see this season. Be aggressive, play to your strengths. We have GREAT SHOOTERS on this team. If you're open, shoot it!!! Let's call this, "passing with a purpose."

Caveat: This is not a critique on last nights game, where the guys were aggressive for the most part. I just hope they continue to be aggressive. Mike Miller could average 20 ppg with this team, if he stays aggressive.

Finally, I think Gil would be wise to watch tape of the Tiny A and Big O seasons in which they led the league in both scoring and assists. He is definitely capable of doing that, and he could probably gain some insights into how they balanced scoring with playmaking to make that happen. (Now I know some wise person on this board is going to remark about how the Big O never led the league in scoring and assists, and you'd be wrong.)

What do y'all think?

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

To suggest that anything good could come of Jamison being out for an extended period is borderline insane.

"AB gets a lot of petty fouls called on him because he gets no respect yet from the refs."

No, he gets a lot of petty fouls on him because he plays defense with his hands (reaching and grabbing, after he's been beat) instead of with his feet (moving laterally to keep his body between his man and the basket).

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

^ how is he still lacking the fundamentals after 5 seasons in the league???

Posted by: prescrunk | October 15, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"However, if the purpose of passing is to get open looks and you are passing up those open looks, doesn't it defeat the purpose? "

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Mike Miller --- Can you imagine the offensive nightmare this man will create for other teams when he is on the floor with our four main starters?

The only problem: supposedly he is pretty good defensively, but I have trouble picturing him guarding a top 2 guard. Maybe Caron could do that?

I just can't wait to see a line-up of GA, MM, CB, AJ, & BH scoring points like an unrelenting 4 and 1/2 headed monster!!! (BH is half a head in my estimation)

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

^ how is he still lacking the fundamentals after 5 seasons in the league???

Posted by: prescrunk | October 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 11:15 AM

With the focus on the word "anything" in your post, Kalo, I would have to disagree with that. I know what you are trying to say, though, and I agree 100% with the spirit of your post. AJ is one of the most valuable cogs in the machine that is the Wiz.

However, one of the positives that could come out of the absence of AJ for an extended period of time is that it would force AB (who obviously is next in line to start up front) into extended minutes and, I believe, would accelerate his development (which is already showing more positive signs than at any time in his career). He is now a fifth-year player, has the requisite experience, and is showing more flashes of consistency that we haven't seen before this year.

As another example of something good coming out of a bad situation, one of the positives to come out of the horrendous and forgettable 19-63 season is our obtaining the fifth pick in the draft, and converting that into the Miller/Foye connection. There are always silver linings in dark clouds, if we look for them.

With all that said, I agree 100% that the W-L column would be deleteriously affected by an extended absence of AJ and the skill set and veteran savvy he brings to the table (although I fear the worst -- I remember when CWebb separated his shoulder, and AJ looked almost identical to him when he walked off the court last night).

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381 | October 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"However, one of the positives that could come out of the absence of AJ for an extended period of time is that it would force AB (who obviously is next in line to start up front) into extended minutes and, I believe, would accelerate his development (which is already showing more positive signs than at any time in his career)."

He was "forced into extended minutes" last season when Haywood got hurt. That didn't do much to " accelerate his development" did it?

"With all that said, I agree 100% that the W-L column would be deleteriously affected by an extended absence of AJ and the skill set and veteran savvy he brings to the table. . . "

Well, unless you put losing games under the heading of "good things" then you pretty much confirmed my point.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

original_mark

Blatche has many extraordinary skills but he hasn't perfected any of them. That is his difficulty. He has the skills of a superstar, but he never will be a superstar. He lacks the psychological acumen in that regard. Instead he needs to focus on being consistent with a few things. And as time goes on, then he can add a few more things to his repertoire.

But my God, do you remember that monster game he had last year?! For a brief moment in time he went well beyond all-star. I couldn't believe my eyes with some of the stuff he was doing! The difficulty is being able to replicate that night after night, and of course he can't. If he could he would be one of the best players in the league.

But throughout the league and over the course of time there have been many players like Blatche who have all the skills, but no ability to utilize them consistently. John "Hot Plate" Williams was a similar type of player: seemingly unlimited potential that was only partially realized.

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

We need Jamison at 100% later on, so I wouldn't rush him back. I think we can float without him with McGuire, Blatche, and Miller at the 4.

Nice to see the rotation, a source of much angst, coming into focus already during the preseason. Mike Miller looks like a starting 2 to me, with Foye and Blatche both getting major minutes off the bench. So there is only one more real rotation guy needed, probably Stevenson, with Oberto getting spot minutes inside. Nick Young and Jevale McGee are probably still too _____ to play, but could certainly work their way in in place of Oberto and Stevenson later on in the season, if earned.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | October 15, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And Dave, surely you're joking. We may not make enough strides on defense to win a lot of games but teams are going to have PLENTY of problems defending us.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | October 15, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i dunno bout this coupla weeks for AJ's shoulder. it looked like a separation or dislocation, the way he just let it hang while he was walkin off the court. those types of deals linger without surgery....i think.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

GShawn - Yes, I agree the opponents will have problems defending us but what happens when the Wiz have an off night shooting. Surely they don' have the man power to go inside and they won't win by their defense either. Power game and defense wins in playoffs.

Posted by: Dave381 | October 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant logic, Kalo.

Not!!!

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If Jamison is injured, AB is the obvious replacement (unless we sign an established PF, which is unlikely given the salary situation). But who will back AB up? The lack of depth on PF position is a problem.

Too bad, we traded Songaila away, and didn't pick up Blair on 2nd round. When Songaila was traded, EG said Minnesota insisted on him; but Minnesota had since traded him for former Wizards AD. So this is questionable. I wish we could have traded James (who has similar contract as AD) instead.

As for Blair, as a 2nd round pick, we are really just talking about money here. Even if he doesn't pan out, the salary for a 2nd round isn't much, a couple of Gilbert's fines should cover it!

Posted by: sagaliba | October 15, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Was it my imagination or did Andray Blatche had 16 pts, 8 rebounds, +8 (+/-) in just over 5 mins?"

The minutes on the box score are all wrong. DS didn't play 24 minutes, and Gil played more than 12 minutes, etc., etc.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 15, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

bpybay-

I can't speak for Kalorama, but I'm sure a lot of us are sick of hearing about great opportunities for AB. There was never a better opportunity than last year, and he didn't seize it and break out. Sure, he showed signs of improvement, but I think it's fair to say at this point that AB isn't being hindered by a lack of opportunity.

What a lot of us would like to see is a consistent, dependable hunger from AB. That's the only thing stopping him from being a much better player. And if he finds that in himself, he'll be able to use it regardless of how many minutes he plays. You don't need to play 25 minutes per game to hustle and rebound and take good shots when the coach calls your number.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 15, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

AB is 274 and has 20 percent body fat thats stopping him from being good in the nba

Posted by: MrNoOne | October 15, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I've had shoulder injuries (a partial separation, tendonitis, a rotator cuff tear). There's no way to tell how bad AJ's injury is from seeing him injure it. A partial separation hurts like hell when you do it, for example, but the pain goes away in a few days and in a couple of weeks, you're good to go. When I tore the rotator cuff, which is a much more serious injury, I barely noticed it. That's why they do MRIs.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | October 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not just suggesting that some good could come out of AJ being out for a short period. I'm shouting it outright.

AB has shown the same inconsistencies that most young players show when they're immature. In addition, being yoyo'd back and forth between positions didnt help. EJ's directive was to try to win now and that didn't lend itself to player development. Now that AB has a coach who will give him consistent pt (due in part to a shortage of big men on the roster), he will deliver. He knows what is expected of him and is able to utilize all of his skills. I'm pretty sure he would have been yanked out of the game by EJ is he'd created a steal and brought the ball down court as he did last night rather than look for a guard to hand off to.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Well, if it takes Kwame 8 yrs to figure out that he needs to secure the ball before starting his move, wonder how long will it take for his next improvenment?

Posted by: sagaliba | October 15, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Shaq is 350 with 87% body fat. His head contains the other 13%.

He's still doing ok.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Yes I like Mike Miller but have you seen the Wiz line-up (Arenas, Butler, Jamison, MM, DS, Foye)? They all shoot long jumpers/3 pt. The team doesn't have an inside treat yet to balance the O. Until they get one they'll still have problems going deep the playoffs. Opponents will have no problem defending them. Its like the other team will just anticipate the long passes to the receivers and won't worry about the run.Posted by: Dave381"

Geez, talk about getting ahead of yourself. The Wiz won 19 games. That's not even within the same area code as a playoff berth. Washington couldn't hit 3-pointers to save their lives last season, and it appears that's been significantly upgraded.

We can worry about how the Cavs will exploit our lack of an inside 'treat' when and if we get to the playoffs.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | October 15, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Another eight years to figure out exactly what a move is. The book on Kwame has always been "quick feet, slow brain".

Posted by: Firuz1 | October 15, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Now read my post again, especially the ENTIRE SECOND PARAGRAPH, not just the part you feel conveniently "confirmed my point.""

Why would I want to read that pile of drivel again? My head still aches from reading it the first time.

If Jamison goes out for an extended period, the team will lose a lot of games, a fact that you yourself agreed with. It doesn't f@@king matter what else happens as a result. Was getting the 5th pick a "good" thing when weighed against the fact that they lost 63 games? Of course not, and every single person in the organization--from players to the janitor at the Phone Booth--will tell you so. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a moron. Winning games is the entire point. Anything that impedes that goal is not, by any stretch, a good thing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it certainly didnt look good with Aj's arm dangling last night.

If you look at one of the Wiz-related web sites (bullets forever or truthaboutit...I forgot), some of our defensive deficiencies were pointed out. As hard as AJ tries, he is just NOT a good defender. He compensates with his defensive rebounding and his scoring but if we truly want to be better on defense we cannot have a glaring weakness at our PF position defensively. I'm not saying that AB is much better at this point but at least he has a chance to be better. AJ has peaked...just my opinion.

Posted by: original_mark | October 15, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Getting the 5th pick was a consolation prize for the wasted season. Was it a good thing, could be, but I would much rather had a healthy season last year so the wizards could have tested themselves against the Orlando's, Cleveland's, Celtics last year. I want the same thing this year. I would ALMOST settle for a low playoff seed. Just be healthy in the playoffs. Anything else and it will be a huge disappointment, like last year.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 15, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"As or the Randolph comparison, AB clearly is not a power player. Despite the disparity in size between the two, AB plays the same jumpshooting, ball handling type of game. I'd say he plays down to Randolph's size.Posted by: original_mark"

Anthony Randolph is a freakish athlete who looks like he's on the way to eventual stardom. Andray Blatche is a nice player with some real skills and outstanding size. We hope Blatche will become a solid NBA PF; we suspect Randolph will go way, way beyond that.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Original_Mark

Did you see the no-call when Gil appeared to get fouled by Shaq last night? Then compare that with Andre picking up touch fouls on defense. My point is this, no Antawn is lousy on defense, but Blatche is a Wizard and if he is not allowed to touch anybody, his defensive ability will be negated by the refs. That has been the case for at least 10 years with the wizards.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 15, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

You guys know the Cavs had 3-4 guys playing in the fourth who won't make the team? No James, no Williams, no West, no Shaq in the 2nd half, no Varejo 2nd half, no Gibson 2nd half. Whoever said you're second team is better than anyone else's is freakin nuts. Congrats for winning your Finals.

For the record, no one ever said "Whoever said you're second team is better than anyone else's is freakin nuts." I said better than most teams second unit.

But you're telling me Z, Moon and barrett aren't going to make the Cav's team? Hickson?

Maybe Kurz and Nevill won't, but neither will Paul Davis.

They played the end of their bench and so did we. The end of our bench looked alot better.

That's all I was saying. The end of the bench always has lots of names that no one but the hardcore fans know. that doesn't mean they aren't part of the team. I'm sure a lot of people outside of DC don't know Critts name or even McGee and Young.

But they will.

Posted by: Blurred | October 15, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

""As or the Randolph comparison, AB clearly is not a power player. Despite the disparity in size between the two, AB plays the same jumpshooting, ball handling type of game. I'd say he plays down to Randolph's size"

Which is exactly the problem. Randolph is on a path to succeed by maximizing his natural abilities. Blatch is running in place (at best) because he seems intent on/content with getting only as much as he needs to skate by out of his.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Blatche has a LONG way to go to becoming even half of Jamison...and seeing that Jamison is damn near mid 30s I don't think anyone would argue that he has already peaked...LMAO

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 15, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche is a Wizard and if he is not allowed to touch anybody, his defensive ability will be negated by the refs. That has been the case for at least 10 years with the wizards.Posted by: G-Man11"

I think it's a conspiracy, don't you? Otherwise the Wiz would be league champions.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think many would argue that Blatche probably has more physical talent than Jamison. But talent is only part of the equation, and often not the most important part. Jamisons's two greatest assets are things that Blatche lacks in abundance: a high-level of consistency and focus on the court. If he can develop those at anywhere near the level of Jamison he might be able to match him as a player. But he hasn't come close to showing any signs of that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

To clarify:

"I don't think many would argue with the suggestion that Blatche probably has more physical talent than Jamison."

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope they post something new (like about AJ's shoulder) because this thread is dead...

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Kalo,

I am 100% agreed with you that Blatche has enormous talent that will most likely never be fully realized.

As you mentioned he lacks: 1.) Focus; 2.) Consistency.

He also lacks: 3.) The drive and determination to be a great player.

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Correction

3.) The drive and determination just to be a solid performer every night.

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

aj is a good offensive player,, but so is blacthe, if he gets 18 shots a night I imagine he'd drop twenty like aj and the rebounding numbers stack up with aj, our unquestioned "best" rebounder, aj-11.2 per 48 and blatche- 10.6 (while playing almost all his minutes at center last year) and he he also average a block something aj will never do and is undoubtedly a better defender at the four, so of course no one wants to see anyone go down, but jamison being out isn't exactly a disaster since we've bolstered our perimeter scoring, notice miller and foye filled it up with the added opportunity last night

Posted by: bford1kb | October 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 15, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I have no objection to people's right to express them (and that's all any of has -- opinions). Here's mine:

We do have a choice to either stew over what might or could have been (a healthy 2008-2009 squad, drafting Blair instead of taking the cash, ad nauseum). I'd rather deal with the reality, which is that this team, as presently constructed, is much closer to a championship now than the team we probably would have fielded this year had we finished in the middle of the pack last year. A silver lining in the dark cloud.

As for Jamison's injury, if he is out for an extended period time (I am of the opinion that he will be - of course I hope I'm wrong), then Blatche will have no choice but to develop to his full potential (something he shows great signs of doing right now under Flip), or be out the door after the season. I will remain optimistic on that point until he proves otherwise.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I don't even want to think of the extended absence of AJ, but if that is going to be the reality (I guess we'll know more tomorrow), then we have no choice but to look forward from where we are, rather than dream (nightmare?) of what might have been, but won't be.

There are still positives that can come out of the loss of AJ, just as Miller and Foye were positives to come out of 19-63. I would rather not have to deal with that scenario (just as I would rather not have had to deal with 19-63), but we otherwise have no choice.

That's really all I'm saying.

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"What a lot of us would like to see is a consistent, dependable hunger from AB. That's the only thing stopping him from being a much better player"

Doc Walker once commented about AB...you just cant trust him, never know when he is up til 4am the night before playing video games or whatever.

Sure, that beats picking up hookers at Logan Circle, but for AB to succeed he needs to come to work like a professional everyday. Given he has seen Jamison do this for years but still seems to slack...I wont hold my breath.

Here's to hoping the switch has Flipped for him tho

Posted by: divi3 | October 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Jamison is a consummate professional. Assuming he suffered a sprain that just needs rest, he can miss the next 4 weeks and step back on the court without missing a beat. At the very least, he should sit out the next 2 weeks just for precaution.

If AB is going to make a move, now is the time.

Posted by: divi3 | October 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

It's not just about winning games. It's about winning a championship, or at least competing for one. Do any of us think the Wiz as constructed before this year were in a serious position to compete for a championship? Maybe. But doesn't a losing season and a lottery pick help move this core that much closer? Yes.

No doubt there were Spurs fans who would have traded their 20-62 season in 1996-97 for another winning season, like the 59-23 mark from the year before. Taking the long view, it yielded Tim Duncan and they've won four championships since then.

I'm not equating the number 5 pick last year, or its yield of MM and RF, to Tim Duncan, and I'm not arguing that losing Antawn this year would be a good thing. Just illustrating the point that sometimes a short-term loss can lead to a long-term gain.

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I love how people throw numbers out to try to make them equal...without me even looking...how do Blatche's turnover add up to Jamison's?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

" Just illustrating the point that sometimes a short-term loss can lead to a long-term gain."

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Dog gone it... Somebody in town has to know the result of that MRI... I keep checking back for an update...

Posted by: MeviousMan | October 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Blatche signed what I believe was a five year deal in 2007, so unless some team trades for him, he isn't going anywhere, no matter how he plays.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"As for Jamison's injury, if he is out for an extended period time (I am of the opinion that he will be - of course I hope I'm wrong), then Blatche will have no choice but to develop to his full potential (something he shows great signs of doing right now under Flip), or be out the door after the season."

Nonsense. Of course he has a choice. It's the same choice he had last season, when Haywood was out: Step up and finally live up to the hype, or keep half-stepping it and skate by on the minimal amount of effort required to keep a spot in the rotation.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Jamisons shoulder injury could take a while to heal 100%. The rotator cuff takes a lot of abuse during a season. Rotator cuff tears come in a various stages of severity. If it's major it will be 9 months to full recovery. slight tears & strains a lot less. I suspect that his is of the minor type. I know that when I tore mine that it was about the most pain that I ever experienced before and the week or 2 after surgery.
We should be hearing results of mri soon.

Posted by: VBFan | October 15, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

When did it go from a shoulder sprain and "I feel fine and I should be okay in a week." to A rotator cuff tear? LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 15, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we're just addicted to bad news now.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 15, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not diagnosing it as a tear. But the way he reacted when it happened looked like something bad. I along with most others here hope for the best. Just relaying my experience with my shoulder injury. The fact that it's taking so long for word from the Wizzies also scares me.

Posted by: VBFan | October 15, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

>You're talking past examples from other teams and hypothetical scenarios. I'm talking specifically about the Washington Wizards and the position they're in right now. The former has nothing to do with the latter.

Thanks for qualifying that, because it did look like a blanket statement.

Even so, don't arguments require reference to analogy and hypotheticals to sharpen them fully, whether in this humble forum or in those more exalted?

>This team isn't in a position where it can afford to be taking the long view. They've got a small mint tied up in veteran players on long-term deals, and are already saddled with more underdeveloped youngsters than they know what to do with. The last thing they need is another draft pick that they have to wait years to groom, or another lost season while they hope the kids they've already got grow up.

I agree, and I didn't argue that losing AJ is a good thing, didn't argue that the Wiz could use another lottery pick in lieu of a winning season, and didn't argue that the Wiz should bring in more youth -- which of course does not necessarily follow from a lottery pick.

This team until now may have been winning games, but they weren't going anywhere near a championship -- notwithstanding all the money tied up in those big contracts you referenced. If trading last year's #5 pick for MM and RF results in the Wiz winning a conference or league championship this year, it will have proven in retrospect to have been worth one lost season, just as the Spurs lost season proved to have been well worth losing.

Granted, that's a hypothetical, and granted, it draws on the experience of another team. But that's what we do around here, no?

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Here it is, guys:

Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced that an MRI performed today showed that forward Antawn Jamison suffered a subluxation of his right shoulder. He will miss the remainder of the Wizards’ preseason games (Oct. 19 at Atlanta, Oct. 20 at Philadelphia and Oct. 23 at Chicago) and will be re-evaluated next week after the inflammation subsides.

Jamison sustained the injury at the 4:33 mark during the first quarter of last night’s 109-104 win in Cleveland. He has averaged 15.4 points and 6.8 rebounds for the Wizards in five preseason games.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 15, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks for qualifying that, because it did look like a blanket statement."

Only to people who read it with a blanket over their heads: I said:

Where, exactly, do I generalize about other teams? Oh, wait. I don't.

"I didn't argue that losing AJ is a good thing, didn't argue that the Wiz could use another lottery pick in lieu of a winning season"

Yeah, you did:

"But doesn't a losing season and a lottery pick help move this core that much closer? Yes."
Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 3:46 PM

"I did argue, contra your statement that "winning games is the whole point", that winning championships is more important than simply winning games. I've seen you make the same argument in another thread."

(A) You have to win games in order to be in a position to win championships, so trying to frame them as separate, unrelated issues is nonsense and (B) Jamison getting hurt and missing an extended period off games does nothing to fulfill either cause. Hell, Arenas and Haywood missed all of last season. Do you see any championships falling into their laps as a direct result?

The Spurs analogy is irrelevant. The Spurs were an elite playoff team before they got Duncan. So adding Duncan made them an elite playoff team that had Tim Duncan. That scenario does nothing for the Wizards because (A) the Wizards were a lower rung playoff team and (B) there don't appear to be any Tim Duncan's in the draft pipeline. So if they were to follow the Spur's path, they'd be a lower rung playoff team with a non-franchise level lottery pick. Or, they could trade the pick for veterans. Great. But what kind of veterans do you get for a pick likely to yield a non-franchise-caliber player? You get Mike Miller and Randy Foye. Good players that will add depth, but are not going to be the difference between winning and not winning a title. And, according to your own argument, winning titles is all that matters.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Kal, I am reminded by your insistence on responding petulantly to anyone who disagrees with you, however civilly, why it is that I stopped spending time engaging on this board.

Your statement was as follows: "Winning games is the entire point. Anything that impedes that goal is not, by any stretch, a good thing."

That is on its face a general statement, it could easily be read generally, I thanked you for qualifying it subsequently, and you respond . . . that only someone with a blanket over his head could have read it that way.

Really? Gratuitously insulting.

You must be an insufferably self-righteous pr*ck to be anywhere near. I'll communicate no further with someone who cannot respond civilly to those who address him civilly.

Adieu.

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

No race-baiting, sexist, trash-talking DCMan, no twisting arguments through partial quotes, red-herrings and strawmen, from Kalorama.

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"By the way folks, the ratio of substantive, knowlegable commentary to childish, egotistical remonstration is much higher over at Bullets Forever.

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 8:14 PM"

And probably plenty of worthless postings if Prazak surfs there.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 15, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that he will be traded if he doesn't pan out this year (which I fully expect he will -- in fact, I'm expecting him to win Most Improved Player this year).

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Prazak | October 15, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

EXACTLY, Prazak!!! I read your WHOLE POST, not just the parts of it that are convenient for me to make a counterargument. I HEARD you say that you're NOT comparing this season's #5 pick to Tim Duncan. I HEARD you say that you're not arguing that losing Jamison would be a good thing.

With regard to your quote, "But doesn't a losing season and a lottery pick help move this core that much closer? Yes," I UNDERSTAND that you were referring to last season, NOT THIS ONE! Correct?

Some people are so full of themselves it's ridiculous. The fool is very often a genius in his own eyes.

Posted by: bpybay | October 15, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

There hasn't been EVEN ONE regular season game played since last season, so how in the hell can ANYBODY answer that question right now????

Genius indeed.