Wizards cut Vincent Grier, roster down to 15

The Washington Wizards waived Vincent Grier on Thursday and the roster now stands at 15 as the team prepares to face the Chicago Bulls tomorrow. Grier only played 6 minutes, 38 seconds this preseason, recording one assist.

Although Grier wasn't able to latch on, he was able to establish himself as the best half court shooter on the team, as he won the competition during training camp, collecting a few hundred dollars, and also winning two tickets for a fan during an open scrimmage earlier this month.

Paul Davis lives to see another day, holding on desperately to that 15th spot, and there is a minuscule chance that he might see a few more. The Wizards have until Monday to submit their final roster to the league and earlier this week, Coach Flip Saunders said the team will take a good look at Davis "in case there is a situation where we don't have Antawn [Jamison] at the beginning of the year. Is he ready to step in and give help?"

Davis won't get much time either way, but he hasn't hurt himself too much with his play this preseason. After Davis had eight points and three rebounds in just seven minutes against Atlanta, Saunders said Davis was "one of our most effective power forwards" in the game -- although that may have said more about the Wizards' overall performance in that 18-point loss than anything else. In the locker room afterward, Mike James was joking with Davis, "You looked alright out there, P-Diddy. Looking good, P-Diddy."

"I'm not going to say all that," James said.

But in 19 total minutes this preseason, Davis has scored 13 points with six rebounds and one assist. He looks sort of like a less physical Darius Songaila. I talked to him for a brief minute and realized that the reason Davis is here is because of his summer workouts with Gilbert Arenas at Tim Grover's Attack Athletics gym in Chicago.

"He talked about coming here. I had other offers, but I wanted to come here to play with him," Davis said. "He looked great in Chicago. He's still looking great. My main decision was to come here and play with him. With a healthy team, we can really make a push and surprise a lot of people."

Davis said that while he remains a longshot to make the team, he is embracing his opportunity. "I think it's one spot and you know, Flip said come and play your game, don't do anything out of the ordinary. Just defense, rebound and hit open shots. Sounds easy, but it's sort of what I've been focused on," Davis said. "My job is to be ready, whether it's first quarter or fourth quarter. That's what it is and when the opportunity comes, I'm got to make sure I'm ready to take advantage of it."

"I don't want to look ahead," Davis said. "I want to take it day by day and do what I can and let the cards fall where they may."

By Michael Lee  |  October 22, 2009; 1:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning buzz
Next: Wizards still adjusting before final preseason game

Comments

There

Posted by: closg | October 22, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good, I prevented some idiot for writing FIRST!

Posted by: closg | October 22, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Four cliches in one sentence. Could that be some kind of record?

But I say good for Davis. He has the right frame of mind about this whole thing. He's not in the most desirable position, but he's still pushing himself.

Posted by: CDon | October 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If Marty Conklin could have an NBA career while I was growing up, I dont know why Paul Davis can't be the 15th man (besides the whole over the cap thing). HA

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | October 22, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"Davis decided to play along and joked, "Yeah, I'm probably averaging 80 points per 48 minutes this preseason."

What's his PER?

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Davis in and Stevenson out. Now that would be progress for this team.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | October 22, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know his PER, but his TND per 48 is the highest on the team. See www.dougstats.com.

If signed, maybe he can give a few lessons to James during the course of the season, particularly on shooting left-handed foul shots.

Posted by: Izman | October 22, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see Davis make the team. He was an All American at Michigan State and had a great career as a Spartan.

He had a good run with the Clippers, was playing good, putting up good numbers and was working into the rotation but had an injury that temporarily set him back.

Glad to see he's worked hard to get back and make the team. As a long time Wizards and Spartan fan, I'm glad he's with us. He's a great guy, comes from a great family and I have no doubt he'll be a great contributor to this team. He's a warrior.

Welcome Paul!!

Posted by: Chuck27 | October 22, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

He hasn't actually made the team yet.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

With DeSHAWN's contract and his injury, I'm afraid he will be on this team to the bitter end this year. JAMES the same. I don't believe there will be any teams desperate enough to assume their contracts or trade with us for either of them. But this does leave JAVARIS CRITTENTON in a precarious position playing out his final contract year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 22, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

glawrence -
what are you talking about????

There are teams desperately trying to shed shed contracts by the end of the year. Sure Stevenson's isn't going away at the end of the year, but at $4 million, he is pretty cheap by NBA standards.

Mike james is a perfect contract for a team like Toronto, Chicago or NY...and even Cleveland, who have made it clear that they want to be in the hunt for some combination of Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. $6.5 mil expiring this year could look pretty tempting to a team that is going nowhere this season and is looking to clear a little extra space. In the meantime, he can shoot 40 times a game and boost his numbers and no one will care.

Then again, washington has situated itself pretty well for next years auction, with $25 million coming off the books at the end of the season and another $6.5 million in team options and its three best players wrapped up for 10/11.

Maybe they'll keep Mike James and get in the hunt for themselves.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Miami only has $8 million lined up for next year. that and D wade's option at $17 million. Thats it. They have $70 million with which to build a team from scratch.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

and get this ex wash players:

Etan thomas is highest paid on his team
Rip Hamilton on his
Bobby Simmons on his (with Devan harris 2nd)Nets

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

and larry Hughes on his.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Mich State Coach Tom Izzo is good friends with Flip. Probably put in a good word to Flp about Dvis. He does appear to have serviceable skills as a back-up.

Posted by: ptp23 | October 22, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

2 things you can't teach: hustle and intelligence. P Davis has both. He may not be the best player, but he helps when he's on the floor- that's more than I can say for Blache, who, despite his abilities, does not seem to help the team win!!! Look at his best games- did the team win?

Posted by: jistutz | October 23, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse