Wizards 101, Grizzlies 92

Okay, so the Wizards got outrebounded 60-45, shot just 39.8 percent, missed 13 free throws and commited 20 turnovers -- and still won their preseason debut against the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday. The game had its bright spots and its sloppy ones. And while Coach Flip Saunders was none too pleased when his team surrendered 55 first-half points, he was happy to see his team hold Memphis to just 37 in the second half.

Most importantly, the Wizards were able to welcome back Gilbert Arenas, who . Arenas was nimble, which he displayed late in the first period, as he stole a pass from Memphis guard O.J. Mayo then leapt over the scorers table and ran up the stands to secure the ball. Coach Flip Saunders said didn't gasp as he watched the Wizards' $111-million soaring into the crowd.

"No one should question how his knee is, jumping over the table like that," Saunders said. "As I said, he's given me no indication in the things that he's done that he's not back; that he's not the Gil of old."

Arenas certainly showcased his skills as a facilitator, dishing out 10 assists, but at teams he seemed like a lighter version of the player who played two games last season. His passing and decision-making are there, but he is still searching to recapture his ability to put the ball in the bucket. Saunders said that shouldn't be a problem as Arenas rediscovers his rhythm and his body adjusts to the bumping and grinding of playing more often. He had no problem getting to the rim but Arenas struggled trying to finish, as missed about three point blank layups. Another pullup jumper barely grazed the rim. Had Arenas not missed those shots and six free throws, Saunders said he had "a 20[-point], 10[-assist] game right at his fingertips."

It was surprising that Saunders played Arenas as much as he did. Before the game Saunders said his plan was to limit Arenas to eight to 10 minutes and certainly wouldn't exceed 24. Arenas played 24 minutes, 8 seconds. He started out well, assisting on the Wizards' first seven baskets, but there was a noticeable dropoff as he continued to play. Saunders will have trouble trying to hold back Arenas, who is obviously itching to go all out right away. He explained that Arenas played because he "felt good. At one point, he said, why don't you play me the way you'll play me in the regular season. I said, 'We're not ready for that.' "

Antawn Jamison pitched his usual 20 points and eight rebounds and Caron Butler had 15 points, but Andray Blatche had 13 points and eight rebounds, while Randy Foye overcame a rough first three quarters to score nine of his 14 points in the final period. "It was new. First time playing against someone else, with these guys," Foye said, explaining his start. "I was trying to go out there and do everything coach tell me. I tried to be perfect. I know in this game you can't be perfect, you're going to make mistakes. The main thing he expressed to me was to be aggressive. Once I got my rhythm, it was over."

Mike Miller didn't shoot the ball particularly well (1 of 7), but he had six rebounds. Brendan Haywood, who missed the preseason and the first 75 games of last season with a wrist injury, had six points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots in 28 minutes. Mike James had played well throughout the first week of training camp, but he joined the injured Javaris Crittenton and training camp invitees Paul Davis and Vincent Grier on the bench all night, drawing a DNP-CD.

Butler said he was pleased with the overall performance. "It was great to see everybody healthy out there tonight and playing well. We have all of our soldiers back, Brendan, DeShawn Stevenson, Gilbert, Antawn and myself; the core of the team. The young guys played well tonight, so it was a good win for us."

By Michael Lee |  October 6, 2009; 11:35 PM ET
Previous: Preseason Is Here; Grizzlies (0-0) at Wizards (0-0) | Next: Five Things We Learned in Richmond

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Nice to see someone else thinks JAMES should collect splinters until his contract's up.

I think this team carries 13. Don't see DAVIS, GRIER, or CRITTENTON on this team even if the WIZ take a hit on J-CRIT. He gets shopped and traded or cut. JAMES stays as insurance because of his contract. TOO bad, 'cause I like CRITTER a lot. He can play this game if he just gets the chance to learn something.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2009 11:57 PM

10 assists in 24 minutes...not too shabby...and we will not have problems putting the ball in the hoop, so arenas has time to find his scoring touch...until then, he can assist away...

Posted by: merajc86 | October 6, 2009 11:59 PM

I couldn't watch the game, obviously, but the stats show Nick Young played decently.

He's my boy. I hope he becomes the starter.

Posted by: iamse7en | October 7, 2009 12:02 AM

FROM BUCK's DIARY. Interesting take on players and their contracts.

Ten Toxic NBA Contracts

1. Gilbert Arenas... $96.3 million through 2014
Comment: Good player. Terrible contract. I wouldn't wish that used refrigerator onto the back of my worst, most hated enemy. This contract could destroy the good thing the Bullets Wizards seem to be building in Washington.

2. Rashard Lewis... 85.2 million through 2013
Comment: See Arenas, Gilbert.

3. Andrea Bargnani... 56.5 million through 2015
Comment: This contract doesn't look horrible monetarily, but when you consider that the promisee is a serious loss producer, and a perennial member of my "20 Most Harmful" lists, any premium -- no -- any long term deal involving this player is a bad, toxic deal.

4. Richard Hamilton... 49.4 million through 2013
Comment: Hamilton's been a fine, average win producer. But he's nearing the end of his productive road, and his contract and payments due are not. Bad combo.

5. Stephen Jackson... 35.3 million through 2013
Comment: See Bargnani, Andrea.

6. Baron Davis... 53.8 million through 2013
Comment: Davis is a very productive player when he is healthy and motivated. However, he's injury prone, and last season he was terrible. On top of that he is aging at a position where age catches up to and erodes a player's win production capacity very quickly.

7. Josh Smith... 47.2 million through 2013
Comment: An overbloated contract for an overrated, inconsistent player. Smith shows up when he wants to show up. Unfortunately for Atlanta, his wages are due either way.

8. Monta Ellis... 55.0 million through 2014
Comment: Here's another case where we have a potentially productive player, but one who is paid beyond his productive capacity. Ellis is due to be paid like a consistent high win producer, but he has not proven he can consistently deliver high wins.

9. Danny Granger... 59.8 million through 2014
Comment: A useful player, but way overpaid. Here's a case where, like the Michael Redd deal, high scoring capacity got confused with high win capacity.

10. Luol Deng... 61.8 million through 2014
Comment: Again, I like Deng (when healthy), but not at the numbers he's due to be paid. In fact, I think as the NBA's economic structure changes over the next couple years, a contract of this size would be too much to offer even an elite player. By 2012 the Bulls will regret the deal, if they don't have the foresight to regret the deal already.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 7, 2009 12:04 AM

Just caught Nick Young's postgame comments on WPOST live and I must admit he said everything you could ask for

"I just want to come off screens, hit open shots, and play D."

Reiterated those thoughts several times, along with saying he understands and is fine with being the 4th option. Doesnt expect to freelance much, just wants to do whatever it takes to play now that there is so much competition at guard spots.

Sounds like he's bought into what Flip is selling.

sweet!

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2009 12:15 AM

"Okay, so the Wizards get outrebounded 60-45, shoot just 39.8 percent, miss 13 free throws and commited 20 turnovers.........And while Coach Flip Saunders was none too pleased when his team surrendered 55 first-half points, he was happy to see his team hold Memphis to just 37 in the second half."

Nice to see the truth come out. Same issues with defense and rebounding...and of course, MeTawn, the ultimate stats guy, will continue to get his #'s win or lose.

It's great that Gilby is in shape and reportedly lost 20 lbs, but if he's going to be doing his Gilby routine, which means driving and getting fouled and shooting FT's, then it's valid to question whether dude will be able to take that kind of beating this season.

Where's Gerald Wallace?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2009 12:34 AM

MeTwan? Why are you on the Wizards blog if you dislike one of our best players? It's a fair question.

Good start for the team. We are, if healthy, the deepest team in the NBA...and that's not really debatable.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 12:37 AM

"MeTawn"? Do you watch basketball much?

"deepest team in the NBA" -- no, but close. LA has more and better bigs although I hate to admit it. However, if we could only petition the league to play 8 on 8 we'd have a shot at the finals.

I would have loved to be able to watch the game instead of Astronaut Farmer, but failing that I appreciate the article. We got a win with under 40 percent shooting. Now how often has that happened in the past 4 years?

Wiz don't need Gil to drive as often has he had in the past. We just need the other team to know he can and will. We've got scorers, we need a ring leader. Gil could be great in this style and extent his career to. Go get'em Wiz!

Posted by: EWE1 | October 7, 2009 4:47 AM

Anyone who reads too much meaning into the first game of the preseason is a fool. So what if the Wizs got outrebounded? At least they only allowed 37 points in the second half. That's an improvement.

I believe Gerald Wallace is in Charlotte. What's your point?

Posted by: tundey | October 7, 2009 6:16 AM

Gerald Wallace has accomplsihed what exactly over his career?

Posted by: ptp23 | October 7, 2009 6:51 AM

Ok. I'll be the first to say it...

DeJuan Blair...16 points, 19 rebounds in only 22 minutes.

Can someone say 'rebound' ?

I promise its the last time I'll talk about it but ....damn.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 7:07 AM

I think we'll be a much better team when the new Gil lets the old Gil out more often. We need a guy that draws fouls and not only threatens to shoot the three but actually does it a few times per game.
Combine that with the willingness to pass to open teammates and play defense and Gil 2.0 could be even better than Agent Zero.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 7:37 AM

Original Mark,

And your point is? It's the preseason. Who cares! Get back to me if he is doing that in the regular season.

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 7, 2009 7:52 AM

I agree with you Original-M. There will be times where we need Agent0. Maybe not for 60 points, or even 40, but we need his ability to terrorize the opponent. Not that it will be needed every game, but Agent0 is the biggest threat on the team. Period. Also, they could need him in the 4th quarter only at times. But they will need him at that level, not always being a setup man.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 7, 2009 7:53 AM

I like one thing that Glen Consor said last night: that this was an offense that attacked quickly, versus the Princeton office that starts with a "weave" near half court and doesn't get people shots until deep in the shot-clock. There was an article on SI.com about Eddie Jordan instilling the Princeton offense in Philadelphia, and how they were all struggling with it. Yes, we put up a lot a points, but I'm glad that's gone, it was getting stale. With this personnel we should attack the basket and push the ball. I think that's Flip's philosophy.

Posted by: jweber1 | October 7, 2009 7:58 AM

Gerald Wallace is down south doing a poor man's Caron Butler for the Bobcats. Here, he wouldn't be able to start in front of Butler and Miller provides a three point specialist off the bench. Just where would Flip find him minutes?

O'Mark, I thought the same thing, Blair's a different cat. A coach will have to be a little creative to find him minutes, but nobody could convince me the guy couldn't give a lot of tall lanky guys fits down low. In the NBA lots of teams are going to try and make him play in space on D, if he can do that he's going to be a good NBA player.

Gil, 10 assists in 24 minutes, where are all of those guys that were saying he can't play point guard? Nicest thing is to hear he got some run and is apparently showing no ill effects.

Didn't expect that the Wiz would play shutdown D the first night out, new concepts new system, it'll take awhile before they can just react as a team and not have to think first.

Flip will stick with it and keep working at it, D won't go out the window after week one. That will be the big difference in the long run.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2009 8:07 AM

"Arenas assisted on the Wizards' first seven field goals, and appeared in complete command of Saunders's offense as he directed traffic and put his teammates in the right spots on the floor. Arenas was able to get the basket at his pleasure, but didn't have the scorers' mentality that led him to average 27.8 points from 2004 to '07."

Music to mine ears! Sounds like the shot is rusty, which is totally expected. Once it starts falling, look out.

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2009 8:17 AM

rphilli721,
I dont think we've had a guy do that even in summer league against scrubs. Again, I harped on this for a while and wont start really harping again for a couple months but 19 boards in 22 minutes is impressive even for preseason. It's not like summer league. He did it against some NBA regulars.
And he coulda been had for a 2nd round pick. That was my point. It was underscored by the fact that we got pounded on the boards. Winning with a rebound disparity like that is rare.
I predict 50 wins for this team but it sure would have been nice to have a natural rebounder besides AJ on the team.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 8:28 AM

BTW, I actually like McGee's line. 12 minutes, a few points, boards, a block or two.

I initially wanted to give him 20 minutes but after reading about how he's just not ready, 12 is about right. Birdman, he's not....yet.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 8:31 AM

Old Gil is still getting used to all the new things around him. When he gets comfortable with things and the shot starts falling the "swag" will be back.

One of the small comments that came out of camp was, Flip and his staff were amazed how quickly Gil can see the floor and make decisions. Flip wants his team taking good shots, but that doesn't mean he wants to see the offense burn time.

Look for guys to have the green light to take open shots. With the Wiz's depth, it makes sense to run.

My bet is that Philly really struggles to get the Princeton. It wasn't pretty the first year here either...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2009 8:34 AM

With the shooters on this team, Gil can be a 24/10 guy...which is upper echelon.

Also noted he was "caught sleeping" a few times on D, but hey, Rome wasnt built in a day.

Looking forward to Friday night

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2009 8:38 AM

Alright. I watched the game from the third row...right behind the Grizz bench. Here are my thoughts:

Jamison is a monster. DCMan has no idea what he is talking about. jamison banged under neath, has a sweet shot, hustled up and down the court every play and was in the right position most of the time, even though he looked to be giving up 40 lbs to Randolph (who by the way is about 16 months from being all but retired - he was slow, had no touch and was relying on hacks to get near the ball).

Blatche came out looking awful but by the end of the game was starting to impress me. he is not a low post player by anymeans and doubt he ever will be.

Haywood looked terrible. We really need McGee to step up and quickly if we are going to have any post presence. McGee played better than I expected, but he needs 20lbs of muscle to really be a force.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 8:50 AM

GLawrence007,

There is no valid reason to cut JCrit. He is a young talent, contract friendly, and if you traded him: What player would we get to help us now where JC can't.

I think you are over analyzing the number of guards on this Team and you possibly conclude we have to drop him.

We have GA, Foye, Young, DSteve, & Crit.

Gilbert in my book, at his best, is a combo guard and I feel that his longevity depends upon playing both the 1&2.

Foye is not certain to be here after this season. Young and DSteve are two's.

Mike James, whom I did not mention, will not be retained especially when you compare him to JCrit.

If you are going to make a choice between the prospect of JCrit or James, to me JCrit is a no brainer.

And lastly, besides Gilbert he is the only point on the Team than can truly run the UpTemPo Assist game that fits these players.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 7, 2009 8:51 AM

More on Haywood; He played soft...opted for 3 bad missed jumpers rather than driving or passing out. Tried a finger roll instead of a dunk when he can dunk flat footed. Gasol seem to have him stymied but he was able to play against Memphis' 7'2" backup.

Thabeet had a good game. Guy looks a little slow (in the head) but is as long as I've seen in a while and seemed to basically get the game.

Butler hustled all around. On defense he disrupted the play anytime the ball was within 10 feet of him. I don't know how many steals he got credit for, but he put his hand on the ball defensively at least a dozen times. has a nice shot and drove the lane from the arc for most impressive dunk of the game (although McGee had 2 really nice ones)

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 8:55 AM

By the way, was the game on TV, the Net'???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 7, 2009 8:57 AM

I think Foye is definitely going to be here next season as he's a restricted free agent and teams rarely make moves on them.

Flip wants them to keep teams at 44% shooting...first half Memphis shoots 45%...then 37%...and 88 is still upset. Even if they shot 80%....it wouldnt all be on Antawn. I wish they would hurry up and ban that guy. It's preseason basketball anyway. When they look like they did last preseason getting blown out by 30 and 40...then I'll worry.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2009 9:03 AM

glawerence

crittendon is not getting cut. there's not even rumors of that. give it up.

Posted by: crs-one | October 7, 2009 9:06 AM

DeShawn played about as you'd expect. he hustled on D (except one play where he never left his own key - wtf???) and made a sweet outside shot. Mostly was just a bit disruptive. Defintiely played better when he was with some starters than when he was with the 2nd unit. I think if DS is going to be a factor, he has to start. he is really only good offensively when he is the 3rd or 4th option.

Opposite with NY. He let others make the plays for him and Foye did that really well. that worked out well, but he made a much bigger difference when he was on with the 2nd unit than with the "Big Three." He didn't add anything defensively to the starters. For his few minutes on the 2nd unit, he was the star and it looked good on him. if Gilbert hadn't been dishing to him (and who really thinks that will last for a lonf time this season) I doubt he would have had much to offer the first unit.

Foye and Miller were the biggest plusses to this team. They both play the game completely. Have nice shots, good court sense, hustled on D, rebound, generally were a part of every play both defensively and offensively when they were on the floor. MM had a bad shooting night, though. I was surprised at how hard he plays and he had a couple nice drives and kicked it back out. Once he would have had a nice dunk if Blatche hadn't stepped into his way.

D mac was Dmac. Hustled but was not flashy at all.

Funny thing is...I was going to say Gilbert looked bad until I saw his line. He just wasn't playing the drive first gil of old. Lots of play making and smart court general. That may be good for everyone, especially if he can start hitting those FT.

The best thing I saw of him was on D when he was constantly pushing the ball toward Butler. Arenas himself was not getting a hand on the ball, but he was closing the lanes away from Butler (and Jamison was closing the middle and Haywood was ...um ... standing still) so the ball had to get within those 10 feet of Butler, who then was somewhat disruptive.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 9:09 AM

DeJuan Blair: 16 pts, 19 rebs.

Wizards extra cap space: DNP-Abe/Ernie Decision

Posted by: elfreako | October 7, 2009 9:10 AM

All in all, the team looked good, if a bit rusty. it was pretty obvious that they are all trying really hard to get with Flip's defensive philosphy and offensive sets. it clearly wasn't natural for all of them, although, as i said, it seemed to click with Gil and Jamison that their strength on D is more in driving the play where they want it, rather than playing one on one.

Young guys are still young. NY is making great strides, blatche was inconsistent and McGee is clearly not ready for big minutes, but is obviously making huge strides.

The biggest plus is that this team is deep and has 8 -9 potential starters. the biggest negative, at least from one preseason game, is Haywood. He was out of position and made poor choices almost all night.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 9:19 AM

DeJuan Blair: 16 pts, 19 rebs.

Wizards extra cap space: DNP-Abe/Ernie Decision

Posted by: elfreako | October 7, 2009 9:10 AM

just remember that Kwame game from his second season that I mentioned yesterday. i agree. We'll see how that is holding up come November or March.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 9:25 AM

@Blurred

get a life loser. Mike can handle the Wiz beat.

Posted by: prescrunk | October 7, 2009 9:30 AM

Meant that I agree with rphilli that who cares... Let's see if he can produce during the heat of the season.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 9:31 AM

OK, I was at the game last night. I'm sure Gil will be fine but he was struggling to get his MoJo back last night. He missed four straight free throws and at least 3 lay ups. Lay ups and free throws!?!

Someone mentioned liking Javale's line last night. He is as undisciplined as always with 4 fouls in about 6 minutes on the court.

DeShawn was the best defender on the court last night and Brendan was playing too far away from the basket and provided several WTF moments last night.

Caron and Antawn were solid as ususal and Nick Young looked good on the offensive end. Gil was definitely looking for him and his shot. Overall outside of Gil's swagger, a good start for Flip Saunders.

Posted by: Rocky420 | October 7, 2009 9:33 AM

Just sayin. The dude snatches almost 20 boards in 22 minutes off the bench in his professional debut.

The Wiz coulda had him for a nominal fee.

Kwame Brown was the first overall pick of the draft who costed them MILLIONS.

Posted by: elfreako | October 7, 2009 9:33 AM

Good point!!! Seeing how haywood played last night...Blair might be better than him.

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 9:42 AM

Blurred,

I enjoyed your analysis. Thanks for the posts; it helps, especially when the game wasn't televised. I probably don't have to tell you, but there are certain folks on this board you should simply ignore. Shouldn't be hard to figure out who they are.

Posted by: keithward64 | October 7, 2009 9:52 AM

Blurred - I second keithward's comment. Analysis such as what we get from you and GM is welcome - particularly by those of us who don't always have time to watch or listen to every game. In may case I am located on the other side of the world, so it is doubly difficult to catch the games.

Posted by: pk24 | October 7, 2009 9:59 AM

yeah how bout blair with 16 and 19, what was the Cash's stat line last night?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 7, 2009 10:10 AM

I enjoyed your analysis. Thanks for the posts; it helps...
Posted by: keithward64 | October 7, 2009 9:52 AM

ur obviously new around here. if u cant watch the game follow the live thread at www.wizardsextreme.com. if u dont know anything about basketball, i recommend reading what Kalorama/Ivan Carter posts. if u want the truth about the Wiz (which most ppl cant handle on here) read DC Man88. get outta here with the corny sh!t.

glad Deshawn had a good game. if he's not right then we're in trouble bc EG and Abe, despite having the "busiest summer ever" forgot to improve the defense.

Posted by: prescrunk | October 7, 2009 10:10 AM

The theme of the year auditioned itself last night.

That is, the first unit will play even against anybody (even the best or the worst).

The second unit can and should beat any other team's second unit. The only open question is whether they will do so consistently?

Posted by: Izman | October 7, 2009 10:12 AM

So DC mann is now posting under prescrunk's name?

Posted by: Blurred | October 7, 2009 10:15 AM

"Heavy D" Blair may end up being the steal of the draft, but the Cash has R.O.Y. potential!!!!!

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 7, 2009 10:31 AM

over/under: 45 DNP-CDs for the Cash

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 7, 2009 10:54 AM

keithward64 is the old Keithinator and he's not new around here.

Blurred, the history of 88, Kal and Prescrunk goes back a while.

Scrunk is a Kal sycophant and "88-ideology" apologist.

Kal makes some good points and at least tries to support them with fact though he's offended folks with his attitude and delivery at times.

88 also makes good points occasionally but they re ALL tinged with his hatred for Gilbert Arenas. You have to take everything he types with a pound of salt because the vitriol aimed at Gil sometimes spills over onto the other Wiz....and us. He's not able to give objective commentary because of his intense dislike for Agent Zero.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 11:01 AM

Now who was that shooting coach we sent packing when our brilliant GM cleaned house after last season,the free throw shooting will haunt us this season mark my words!

Posted by: dargregmag | October 7, 2009 11:02 AM

Having said all of that, this blog is definitely unique because of the blend of personalities...and there's even an occasional mention of basketball here and there.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 11:03 AM

dargregmag , I wondered the same thing. He had BTH up to 70% and we let that dude go ??!! We were at or near the top of the league in ft%. I didnt get that one. It was Dave Hopla, I think.

Posted by: original_mark | October 7, 2009 11:06 AM

Great posts Blurred.

Let's hope Haywoood isnt all full of himself (as he sounded in a recent interview) and thus back to not battling and basically standing around with his knees bent, playing like he is 6'8"

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2009 11:07 AM

Is Kal actually Ivan Carter???

Wonder if he remembers me from Louie's 2 Sundays ago, talkin all that smack. What kind of Vikings fan sings the Bears fight song??

ha!

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2009 11:10 AM

Posted by: dargregmag | October 7, 2009 11:02 AM

FT's cost the Wizzies many games in the past. Improving the FT% with a shooting coach could equate to several more wins. Money well spent.

Posted by: VBFan | October 7, 2009 11:11 AM

I always figure if you guys get bored after 5 words, you can skip over my posts. Or anybody else's. None of us are getting paid, so it's not going to hurt my feelings if you don't read my posts.

Blurred, nice to here a little from somebody at the game last night.

Sounds like it was pretty clear that Gil and Brendan have missed a lot of time.
Best thing to hear was that guys are trying to steer their man to help defensively.

Bendan's going to have a lot of thinking and reacting to do in the man to man/Zone look. It's toughest on centers to learn, I'd assume that's why McGee's a little slow on the uptake too.

Shooting percentages really weren't bad for the first night out, and they got better as the night wore on, so not bad for the first night out...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2009 11:25 AM

Not real surprising shooting percentages are off in the first game after camp. Guys are probably on rubber legs...

This is mostly an interesting place to talk about basketball. We've got some regulars tend to go off their meds from time to time, that's when some funny little fellas pop up around here.

Just got to ignore em' for the most part...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2009 11:41 AM

Cash had been playing well in the Asian market. Unfortunately, he's been riding the pine since the trade to the London Futures Exchange. Futures coach is not convinced Cash is a valuable commodity in the team's rotation.

Posted by: creativefunk | October 7, 2009 12:00 PM

Mark, good rundown of the personalities here.

Blurred, I used to post here quite regularly, but got turned off by the vitriol some writers would constantly spew. One in particular who cheered when Arenas got hurt. I like lively debate, but it gets personal way too quickly around here. Folks like Mark, GM, LarryinClinton and others have good things to say. I read this blog for their insights, as well as Mike Lee's.

Posted by: keithward64 | October 7, 2009 12:01 PM

^ here is some more vitriol:

rofl @ ur life. the wiz arent gonna win a championship this year. or next year. or as long as that old ass man is alive.

delusional_mark, GM and larry49rirjt93kfjf r amateurs.

Posted by: prescrunk | October 7, 2009 12:07 PM

We all love you too! GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2009 12:50 PM

I know its only preseason but Dujuan Blair had 16 and 19 in 22 minutes last night. I think we have a solid team but beyond stupid to pass on a guy like that in the 2nd round. Exactly the type of player this team needed.

Posted by: beas13 | October 7, 2009 1:31 PM

original mark, very early in the year...

lots of people will switch back over from skins insider when/if the team keeps getting worse

excited to see the squad in action on friday at the phonebooth.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | October 7, 2009 2:32 PM

"@DC_MAN88: Either you have clue about basketball or your intense dislike is clouding your judgement. Accusing AJ of being the ultimate stat guy is just plain wrong.

I believe Gerald Wallace is in Charlotte. What's your point?

Posted by: tundey | October 7, 2009 6:16 AM "

So besides the snazzy stats, tell us all how MeTawn has been able to help carry a team deep into the playoffs.

How has he been able to up his defensive game?

How has he been able, as captain of the team, to reign in the childishness and lack of focus by the youngsters.

You can't, b/c he can't.

Gerald Wallace.....hopefully he won't make Gilby's knee's shake, rattle, and roll too much when they play again.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2009 5:03 PM

...alright, just got the kitchen pass. I'm going to the game Friday night and it looks like I'll have floor seats as well. Gonna have to break out my good tie-dye.

Posted by: oddjob1 | October 7, 2009 8:03 PM