Late-morning brew: Jackson traded to Bobcats

The Stephen Jackson trade rumor mill was churning this morning. Earlier today it looked as if he was going to Cleveland. But he is actually Charlotte-bound, as ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports.

Brandon Jennings may have wrapped up the rookie of the year award already. The Bucks point guard had 55 points on Saturday and Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski explains why he is so good -- and how he slipped to No. 10 after a year in Europe. Charles Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel breaks down that remarkable night.

The Celtics and the Lakers on losing streaks? Two of the NBA favorites have lost two in a row. Boston is having trouble defending young and athletic teams, like Atlanta and Indiana. The Lakers got pummeled by Denver and Houston. They lost to the Rockets on Sunday as Kobe Bryant got hurt. Those 70-win seasons just got tougher to accomplish.

Johnny Ludden of Yahoo! Sports looks at the Lakers' injury bug, which has taken out Pau Gasol and could hamper Bryant.

The curse of Byron Scott? The moment he gets fired, Chris Paul goes down with a sprained left ankle. The Hornets are set to announce how long he will be out have announced that Paul is out indefinitely. [Updated 12:10 p.m.]

By Alexa Steele  |  November 16, 2009; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew
Next: Adjusting to offense will take time, but how much?

Comments

Sounds like another great MJ move. Bring in an over the hill toxic malcontent to help your team win even fewer games.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I love this trade. If there's any karmic justice in the world, it'll teach Jackson a powerful lesson about being careful what you wish for /bi#ch about and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

with the addition of boynkin can we trade Mike James, or ,and I am sure I will catch heat on this, Nick Young

Posted by: Rvf0509 | November 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

James most likely isn't going anywhere. The cap space created by his expiring contract will be more valuable at the end of the season (when they'll need money to re-sign their FAs) than any of the players they'd likely get in exchange for him will be during the season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

We can only trade what other teams will take. Who do you propose we trade an expiring $7million contract on an old non-contributor and a recently extended contract on a Young wildly unproven non-contributor?

I am not opposed to either/both of these, but who is buying what we are selling?

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"Who do you propose we trade an expiring $7million contract on an old non-contributor . . . "

James' age and contribution status aren't really an issue in him not getting dealt. Plenty of teams would be interested in him because his contract expires at the end of the season, which would give anyone who traded for him major cap relief. The real issue is what would those teams offer in exchange and would it be more valuable (short- and long-term) than the cap relief the Wiz would get by keeping him? Odds are the answer is "no."

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

how bout both at the risk of sounding stupid. I am a ernie fan again call me stupid, but I would love to see if ernie has the minerals for an in season trade to unload one of his projects

Posted by: Rvf0509 | November 16, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

trade is going to be hard for wizard.They decided to stay with the three stars,No value for NY,DM, DS and Jc at this time.The expiring contract of MJ can give as a solid player.Who is tat team willing to take him at this time ? who is the valuable player that we can take from hornets ? Is it okay to get Jackson's personality in washington by sending NY and MJ ,If at all the other team is willing to take expiring contract? it is hard, we need to wait atleast 2 months.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"the minerals"?

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Not calling anyone Stupid, here, Just agree with Kalo that I doubt we'd get anyone of better value from a trade. If you have a proposed trade, put it forth. there are lots of guys, I'd love to get, but doubt either of these players are going to tempt another team to deal a real difference maker.

And yes, I think Stephen Jackson would be a bad idea for this (or any) team.

Would have loved to see him go to Cleveland and watch him, Shaq, LeBron and Iverson's egos crash into each other.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Since when does Iverson play for the Cavs?

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Iverson, I missed that trade too.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that...meant I'd have loved to see both those trades. Since that was the talk a week or so ago.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rvf0509 | November 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________
Ok, and who do you suggest the moronic team trading for NY be??
He wouldn't even be suitable for the D-League.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

From yahoo sports:

Jackson had asked the Warriors to trade him to a contender, preferably the Cleveland Cavaliers or any of the three Texas teams – or the New York Knicks. He instead goes to the Bobcats, who entered Monday in second-to-last place in the Southeast Division with a 3-6 record. The Bobcats have never made the playoffs.

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 16, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Iverson and Jackson in Charlotte... Hmmm... that would be interesting don't you think???

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rvf0509

I think he has the "stones" to unload Crit or NY. Blatche and McGee are off-limits, IMO.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 16, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

MJ deserves that lineup...and add in Gerald Wallace.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I like the trade and I loved the way Jackson played the year they upset Dallas in the playoffs.

You know I am a Carolina guy, so I would like to see the Bobcats do well even though the Wizards are my Team.

Jordan and Brown can use a little excitement down in Charlotte, so I am pulling for the good Jackson.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I would also say that while AB is still improving, he is now beyond being considerred a "prospect." He is a regular contributor and should be one for the next 8-10 years, depending on injuries. Hopefully he becomes an even bigger contributor for the Wiz!

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Especially right after you sign a lucrative contract extension. Not to mention the fact that Larry Brown is no picnic. Sweet.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

How long does an NBA player have to be "retired" before he can sign with another team?

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

MJ deserves that lineup...and add in Gerald Wallace.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________
That lineup looks much better than ours. At least they haven't committed $19 million/year for the next 5 years to an ordinary point guard that can't spell defense.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I love Gerald Wallace as a player. Stephen jackson can ball. I just think the headaches and egos of that group, along with the proposed Iverson from the original poster, make it perfect for MJ, who couldn' decide whether to retire, unretire, be a GM or play golf and who's ego needed to be a star (which he deserved).

Just talking about headaches, not floor sense.

Although, I still say our team will go farther in the playoffs this year than theirs and I would gander that we will win more games over the next 3 years than they will.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
It's amazing what hanges can occur in just 2 weeks! Weren't you, just 2 weeks ago, labeling them as contenders and comparing them to Boston, Orlando, Cleveland.... Now the arguments are centered around Charlotte, LMAO.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard anything about Gerald Wallace being a a head case or having an out of control ego.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Kalo - I will see if I can dig it up, but I recall he had some issues early on and either in or right out of college. I could be wrong.

Utility man - You were the one who started comparing them. I still think we will at least make the second round, as I stated before the season started. 51 wins could be hard, though.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wallace is in his 9th year in the NBA, so if you have to go all the way back to college or his rookie year to dig up dirt on him, I'd say he's a pretty low-risk personality.

The guy plays all out at both ends of the floor whenever he's on the court and doesn't hesitate to give up his body 9with sometimes painful results). I'd love to have him on my team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Kalo - go back to july and august when i was asking we find a way to get Wallace and you'll see I agree.

I think the last name Wallace just made me think he must be a trouble maker. Just Kidding of course. My mistake.

Posted by: Blurred | November 16, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse