Foye is fine about not getting an extension

Randy Foye was one of several members of the 2006 draft class who weren't able to negotiate extensions before the midnight deadline early Monday. Foye confirmed that his representatives had discussions with the Wizards, but they couldn't come to an agreement. A person familiar with the negotiations said the two sides weren't too far off in money, although I haven't been able to confirm any figures.

Foye, who will become a restricted free agent next summer, said he wasn't too worried about not getting a deal done. "The biggest thing to me is, if we win, everything will take care of itself," Foye said after practice today. The deadling passing without a contract "is not really a concern with me. Really not on my mind."

Celtics guard Rajon Rondo just beat the deadline, signing a five-year, $55-million extension. Among Foye's 2006 rookie class, Portland's Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge received the most money, with the Trail Blazers giving Roy -- for whom Foye was once traded -- a five-year, $80-million extension and Aldridge five years and $60-million. Andrea Bargnani, the No. 1 pick from Toronto, signed for five years and $50-million last summer.

A major difference between Foye and those guys is that Foye played his first three seasons in Minnesota and has been with the Wizards for only a few months. "I just got traded here," said Foye, who averaged 12.9 points with the Timberwolves. "They knew what kind of player I was, but whenever you're dealing with giving somebody money like that, you got to know what type of person he is, and then I turn out to be completely opposite of what they think I am. I know they worked hard to try to get things done, but right now, I'm focused on winning."

You might recall that a short evaluation window didn't prevent the Wizards from locking up Caron Butler for five years and $50-million only a few months after they acquired him from the Los Angeles Lakers in the summer of 2005, but that was a different era. It was really tough to get big money this year, with teams unsure about the economy, how the salary cap will drop, and trying to make plans for summer bonanza in 2010.

If you look at the other perimeter players from that class, most didn't get paid. Roy isn't a fair comparison, since he is the franchise player in Portland, having made two all-star teams and leading the Blazers into the playoffs last season. Rudy Gay, who was selected one spot after Foye, wanted $50 million from Memphis and didn't get it, even though he's averaged about 19 points the past two seasons. Thabo Sefolosha, the 13th pick from that draft, signed a four-year, $15 extension with Oklahoma City, but you have to assume that Foye wanted something closer to Rondo range. Now he'll have to wait until next summer to see what he's worth.

Foye is averaging 15 points and five assists in his first three games with the Wizards.

"You see how I approached these games before the deadline," Foye said. "It's all about business on the basketball court and I understood what's going on the business side of it."

If look around, Chicago's Tyrus Thomas and Utah's Ronnie Brewer also let the deadline pass quietly. Foye is one of the standouts of that relatively weak draft class and really shouldn't be worried right now. Neither should the Wizards.

The collective bargaining agreement gives teams all of the leverage with restricted free agents, since they have first right of refusal. The only time restricted free agents walk are in the situations where the team doesn't want them anymore or if he signs an offer sheet with a ridiculous signing bonus (those instances are rare). There has been no indication that the Wizards don't want to retain Foye and if he continues to play as well as he has, Ernie Grunfeld should take care of him next summer.

I also ran into Javaris Crittenton after practice. He was elated to have the cast removed from his left ankle, allowing him to walk freely in a boot. But he was disappointed that the Wizards declined to pick up his fourth-year option worth $2.28 million. He will become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"I was shocked, really," Crittenton said. "I feel like I progressed when I got the opportunity to play. I feel like I did some good things out there. I don't know what the reason was -- it could be because of the injury."

Crittenton shrugged. "I talked to Ernie [Grunfeld], and he said he couldn't get a chance to evaluate me because of my injury or whatever to see how I fit in. That kind of shocked me. I didn't expect to be a free agent, but maybe it will be a blessing in disguise for me."

Crittenton said he should be in the boot for another week or two and then begin working out again. I asked Crittenton how hard it was to be out with an injury and facing an uncertain future.

"It's not tough, it just puts a little bit of pressure on you because you're on a one-year deal," he said. "Being on a one-year deal and you're hurt? I don't know. I'm trusting in God about this, making the best of it. No negative thoughts went though my head. I just try to be positive about this whole thing because that's the mentality I've tried to have since the injury. Having this on top of the injury is kind of tough. You think about it. But at the end of the day, it is what it is."

By Michael Lee  |  November 2, 2009; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  Morning Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trade with Minnesota looking good so far
Next: Halloween photos

Comments

I would have tried hard to lock up Foye for a while, but what do I know?

Posted by: farstriker | November 2, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

does that mean he doesn't want to stay? ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | November 2, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

He wants to maximize his earning potential by giving other teams a chance to bid for his services. Barring a serious injury, it's a smart move.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I would love to get him a 1 or 2 yr extension, but he is going to ask for and probably get from someone, a big ass 5 year deal. Try unloading that thing in year 3 when he is 33 and even slower.

Anyway, McGee is our center of the future, so I don't like having to pay for extra years of service from someone we won't want in 2012.

Posted by: Blurred | November 2, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody keeps saying we need to see what's left after re-signing Haywood. I disagree. haywood has played pretty decently for 3 games, but truth be told, at least imo, there are probably 20 other centers we could get for less."

And how many of those are bigger scrubs than Haywood? Because it's pretty unlikely they could get anyone better for less. There are always players that could be gotten cheaper. But will they be as effective? That's the issue.

I'm hardly one of Haywood's biggest fans, and I was one of the first to fact the idea that if Javale shows out this season, he could end up ushering Haywood out the door. But there aren't any clear signs of that happening yet (although Javale is showing improvement). And Haywood has an established chemistry with the Big three and Blatche. That's not something to be overlooked.

But the fact remains that this team is focusing in on short-term, not long term, goals. And in that picture, Haywood probably fits better. As long as they don't have to break the bank, I think Grunfeld will make every effort to keep him. But if Haywood makes an outrageous demand or someone who is clearly better somehow falls into their lap, I don't think Ernie will have any problem waving goodbye to Haywood, either.

I think the issue may come down less to annual dollars than number of years.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Foye will stay...the Wiz have al the leverage...Ernie is just being smart.

Crittendon is another very smart move...IF he comes back and plays well, you should be able to re-sign him for something less than $2Mil

@ Blurred...respectvely disagree. Brendan is very valuable to this team. I love McGee as much as the next guy, but Brendan's size, length and defensive toughness are essential for this team to play even mediocre defense. I'm not sure I could find a single center who would fill his role at the same level of compensation that he is playing for...to be honest I think Brendan is worth more to the Wiz than he is to just about any other team in the league.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | November 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I am not saying he isn't worth what he IS getting paid. Just don't think he will be worth tying up the 7-9 million per for 5-7 years that he will probably get.

It's a tough call, though, because there aren't that many 7 footers out there.

Kalo called him an average journeyman center a while back, and I agree with that. Just hoping maybe we can get an average Journeyman center for 2-3 years instead of 5-7.

Posted by: Blurred | November 2, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Haywood is a good fit for his role with this team, he knows what to do. Gil is already compring Foye to Larry Hughes, you know Gil will want him back and the Wiz will get him back. Unfortunately Mike James and J Crit...may not return next season. Hopefully Oberto will have another year in him.

Posted by: Gooddad | November 2, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

There's no way Haywood's getting a 7-year deal. From anyone, not just the Wiz. I don't think anyone gets 7 year deals under the current CBA (at least I can't remember the last time I heard of a player getting one).

The Wiz will probably offer 3 yrs, Haywood's agent will probably want 5, and they'll start haggling from there.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Brendan,

Hypothetical Wiz offer: 4 years, $30 mil.

(insert overpaying team here): 5 years, $45 mil.

Do the Wizards let him walk or do they match the offer (assuming he gives them a chance to)?

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"at least imo, there are probably 20 other centers we could get for less."

I disagree. Of course it all depends on what Haywood's demand is, but at current salary level I would challenge you to name ANY center who is not on rookie contract and is cheaper but as good as Haywood.

As long as Haywood does not expect an outragous salary increase, I doubt you can find many (20?) that are available and cheaper.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Randy Foye will probably end up staying with the Wizards after this year. As much as Gilbert Arenas likes him, Foye also appreciates the fact that a superstar like Arenas is willing to share credit for the team's early success not only with him but also other unselfish players like Mike Miller and Fabricio Oberto.

As a team, the Wizards are maturing and growing up.

That is a good sign.

Posted by: JekyllnHyde | November 2, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody keeps saying we need to see what's left after re-signing Haywood."

I don't see that. He is a piece of puzzle, but not necessarily the most important piece. If a deal can be struck quickly, fine. If not, I don’t see holding off other plans. A lot also depends on what the cap will be.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Haywood is certainly better than average center, and I think he is very well-matched to this team. Unfortunately I think this will be similar to Hughes & Jeffries. Haywood will have a career year (thanks Gil), someone will overpay him, and it won't be EG.

Posted by: cballer | November 2, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Haywood is going to be offered crazy money from several teams. First he is finally playing like a big man. Secondly, most 7 foot scrubs are offered crazy money ... so why wouldn't a decent one get it?

Posted by: original2cents | November 2, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | November 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. 100% agreement.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 2, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The NBA is full of ridiculously overpaid big men, true; but the market now is a lot different than it was when most of those deals were signed. Will there be a market for his services? Sure, but I don't see any teams breaking the bank for a guy like Haywood.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Brendan is making about $5 mil this year and is underpaid by NBA standards (he is a solid, not outstanding, center).

I can think of a certain SE division team that is clearing cap space for 2010 like crazy and would sign Brendan in a New York minute.

The Miami Heat.

Wade, Chalmers, Beasley, Brendan and, for example, Bosh would spell serious trouble for the Wiz.

Unless the money offered gets crazy, like 10-11 mil/yr, I think the Wiz WILL pay more than most of would think initially.

Just one man's opinion.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"If D-Wade opts out as expected (of course, only to clear even more space and then re-sign), the Heat could get a top-tier free agent and Brendan."

As for how much money the Heat (and others) may have to spend:

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

One of the teams that will be center shopping next season will be the Cavs. Z & Shaq won't be BAQ. I'd hate to see any X Wizzie playing for them but the Cavs will need help at center.

Posted by: VBFan | November 2, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Haywood signs for 4yrs 32-37 million.

Foye signs for 5 years 42 million.

I don't think either are going anywhere. Haywood seems like the type of guy that will want to see and not try too hard to look . And, Mike James is not going anywhere this season either in a trade bc they'll need his salary coming off the books. Unfortunately, unless we get Miller to a cheap deal, I think it might be near impossible to keep him as well. Not surprised JC didn't have his option picked up bc they can't pay everyone what they think they might be worth.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?"

The Detroit Pistions, with Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars. In fact, they are both smaller than Arenas and Foy.

Dumars, just like Foy, came into a team with an established, all-star PG, and had to play most of his career as a SG (and backup PG). Amazingly, he was considered one of the best defensive SG!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Why not?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 2, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse "

I thought AB got arrested before the transaction was consummated?

You must know something that nobody else does about this "stroke of luck."

LMAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"Doesn't work like that. If Wade opts out, his salary is still on the Heat's cap at 1.5 times its ending year amount until he (A) signs a new deal or (B) they renounce his Bird rights. It's called a cap hold and it's a provision specifically inserted into the CBA to prevent teams from doing just what you've described: circumventing the cap rules by signing outside FAs first before re-upping their own guys. In fact, you can thank the Miami Heat (and the ill-fated Juwan Howard deal) for it's existence)."

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for the correction and nice link!

I remember there was some funky stuff that went on with Alonzo Mourning and the Heat using the tactic I described above. Didn't know they had outlawed it.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721,

I think Miller's salasry next year probably will be in the 7-8 mil range, which would be 2 mil less than his current salary.

As long as no team comes in with crazy offers, I don't see Wiz have problems maintaining current salary while keeping Haywood, Roy and Miller. However, the cap space will be lower, that's where the problem lies.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

That is, I thought it was legal as long as there was no "agreement" (wink, wink) before opting out and re-signing.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

saga...by "Roy" do you mean "foye"? Not knocking you, just want to be sure i understand you. We all mess up names sometimes.

I think there will be some crazy offers and that's what I am saying. Haywood is OK for what he is, but we don't need to match a crazy offer for him. If we get him at about what we are currently paying him, great. If we have to match 5 years at $9 mil per, we have t let him walk.

The other side of the teams clearing all the space summer'10 is that after the top 5-6 players are gone, there are going to be some desperate teams that will be making crazy offers for some guys.

Posted by: Blurred | November 2, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Why not?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 2, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

sagaliba mentioned the Pistons but that was 20 years ago...hopefully the Wizards team defense is a lot better than the last couple of years because someone has to guard guys like Kobe who has a couple of inches on both Gil and Foye.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Blurred,

You are right, my typo, sorry.

As for Haywood, I think due to his current below market pay, he can get a good raise and still would not break WIz's bank. I think he will get like 8-10 mil; of course I would like it to be on the low end for our cap room.

I think the numbers people are throwing out here (e.g., rphilli721) isn’t crazy. I would also agree with kalo (ha!) that it is probably a 3-5 yr deal. Haywood may want a longer contract in exchange for dollar amount, we will see.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Why not?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 2, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

-------------------------------------------
Celtics won champ. against Kobe and the Lakers with Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen (6'5"). Pretty close.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Even though Dumars didn't play against Kobe, he did play against Jordan. :)

20 yrs already? Man, I am getting old!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 2, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse "

I thought AB got arrested before the transaction was consummated?

You must know something that nobody else does about this "stroke of luck."

LMAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Washington Wizards restricted free agent forward Andray Blatche was arrested and charged with sexual solicitation early Thursday, a spokesperson for the District police department confirmed. Blatche was expected to meet with a judge this evening to arrange a court date.

Blatche is three weeks shy of his 21st birthday and has averaged 3.2 points and 2.7 rebounds in 85 career games. The Wizards offered him a five-year contract worth $12.5 million earlier this week, which Blatche was believed to be pondering. Blatche's future with the aorganization appears clouded, but President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld said in a statement, "We are aware of this matter involving Andray. We are in the process of gathering all the information and will continue to monitor this situation. We will have no further comment."

Notice it says that he was pondering the contract offer. After his charge, he lost all leverge in negotiations and probably any interest from other teams to use as leverage. Nice try though!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?"

Dwayne Wade and Jason Williams. Or, for that matter, Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen (yeah, he's listed at 6' 5" but, even if that's true, given that he's a jumpshooter who plays entirely below the rim and isn't much of an individual defender, that extra inch isn't exactly a big advantage).

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

LMAO, nevermind, that went completely over my head. My bad. Funny though! He probably got a health care upgrade added in at the last minute. Free shots!!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The wizdogs are not going to give brendan a new deal. They will go after Kris Kaman of the clippers next year. If AB keeps improving they are in a world of trouble because they low balled him last time. He has two years left after this season. And he hasn't forgotten. My sources tell me the cav and mavericks were making a strong push to get him until the solicitation charges. So he was left with a take it or leave it scenario. He will never start for the wizards as long as AJ is in town. He'll be 25 going on 26 yrs old when he is due for a new deal so he is going to want to be a franchise player and my guess it will be with the charlotte bobcats. Trust me!

Posted by: TheGodFather | November 2, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

The BIG advantage is KG plays behind him and Foye has AJ that makes a big difference. Like I said hopefully the team will be able to play great team "D".

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

and Wade had Shaq and Mourning.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@TheGodfather,

LMAO, you got Blatche being payed as a franchise player. Yippeee!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I want whatever you are on bc it has to be some good stuff.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

No way should brendan get a big or max contract. As far as the big 3 people need to get over that. The regime has changed. It's gill and a new zards. We never had a big 3. A team doesn't win only 19 games when only 1 go down. We need to sign Foye. This guy and Gil work well together and the chemistry is better between Blatche and McGee. Look and pass the ball to each other.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 2, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78,
This is going way back but the Sixers beat the Lakers in 1983 with Maurice Cheeks (6.2 or 6.3) and Andrew Toney (6.3) as their starting guards when the Lakers had Magic (6.9) and Byron Scott (6.4) Larry Cooper (6.7) as their guards.

Charles Barkley was all of 6.6 but managed to have a respectable career at the power forward position.

You have mentioned numerous times, lots of times actually, that you are a knowledgeable basketball fan. Saying the Wiz chances of winning are diminished because our guards are an inch or two shorter than NBA average does not speak to high basketball acumen.

Leaves me waiting for you to post how Atlanta's players on average have a higher vertical than Wizards players so we will not be able to compete with them.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

"The wizdogs are not going to give brendan a new deal. They will go after Kris Kaman of the clippers next year."

How? Kaman has two more years left (after this one) on his deal at about $11.5 mill per. The only way to get him is a trade and they don't have $11 mill in salaries (either expiring contracts or salary attached to players the Clippers would want and the Wiz would be willing to part with) to deal.

"My sources tell me the cav and mavericks were making a strong push to get him until the solicitation charges."

People with "sources" don't post their "inside info" for free on other people's blogs.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if ballers on Les BouleS like MeShawn, NY, AB, JCritt, and DMac scratch their heads and wonder how the heck can this guy be worth 55 mil?

MeShawn and AB's 14 mil pale in comparison to this....for a 23 year old.

Talk about great timing to be a on a team as a PG during a contract year to dish to PP, KG, and RA.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

""The solicitation charge looks like it was a stroke of luck for us as we were able to resign Blatche for a very reasonable price.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse "

I thought AB got arrested before the transaction was consummated?

You must know something that nobody else does about this "stroke of luck."

LMAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse "

What relevance is your comment?

I was poking fun at your "stroke" of luck comment to AB's solicitation of prostitution.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 2, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Until McGee can be counted on (2-3 years down the road, IMO), the Wizards NEED Brendan if they hope to a viable championship-contending team. He won't command, nor would he be foolish enough to expect, a max contract. He'll get a substantial bump over his current salary (don't we all wish we could do that, LOL) and that will be that. As others have posted, I believe Brendan AND Foye will be re-signed. Inking Miller is less probable, but may not be out of the question, especially if Grunfeld decides Butler (one of the Big 3) won't be re-signed in 2011, given his injury history and the fact that McGee and Blatche appear to be keepers who will have to be taken care of with big dollars at some point.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 2, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

My goodness. Who would have thought once we finally got a Team together that can compete for a Championship that the Teams undoing would come from the fact that we cannot afford to resign them.

It may be smart at this point to not pick up options on Foye and Crit. We may not want to pay max money for Haywood if Blatche and JM pan out. We may not be able to keep Miller, Butler...yada yada yada.

I tell yawl' from a lot of these posts I am readin' BulletsFan78 may be the smartest of us all.

Based upon these dire predictions on resigning what appears to be a damn good Team and if we don't or cannot do it, THE WIZARDS MIGHT JUST BE CHEAP.

YA' HEARD ME.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 2, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

You're right...a team doesn't win 19 win 1 player goes down. A playoff team wins 19 when 60% of the starting lineup including the franchise player goes down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 2, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@TheGodfather

Bwahahaha...anyone who comes to a WP story comments section and posts "my sources tell me" deserves to be laughed at. This is me laughing at you.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | November 2, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78,

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

The Sixers had Moses Malone as their center and the Wizards have Haywood and that makes a big difference.

If you take the time to read my post I mentioned team defense.

Do you really think Foye can guard Kobe one on one? Think about it before you answer because it will show everyone on here your "basketball acumen".

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

C'mon...Gil dropped 60 on Kobe's head. Does that mean Kobe has no business trying to guard Gil? Maybe he is too tall for that cover.

Superstars get their points...hence their status as such. Just who does stop Kobe?

Oh yeah, and the Lakers had a decent center too...now what was his name...

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

oops.. saw that for some reason I mistakenly said Larry Cooper instead of Michael Cooper on original post.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows says: "Good Lord....can anyone live in the moment around here? Last year everyone was wallowing in it and now the team is enjoyable and everyone seeks to project tragedy for next year. Sheesh."

I say DITTO!!!

Posted by: original2cents | November 2, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows

Gil dropped 60 on Kobe's head.

That's the best you can come up with?

I'm sure Kobe would trade his 4 rings just so he could say he scored 60 points once?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

and just how is that related to your original point? Oh...it's not of course.

Just pretend that is what we were talking about, not the Wizards guards ability to defend larger guards and how that diminishes their prospects of winning...with your so predictable mitigation of "unless compensated by team defense". You are fooling no one.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows

All I asked was...Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?"

sagaliba said,

kalo_rama brought up

and you tried...

Every example the teams had really good big man that made up for the smaller guards.

The best response to the question was

"Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Why not?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 2, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 3, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

So the consensus appears to be "Yes". Good, glad that is resolved.

Do you think of Bill Laimbeer as a really good big man? Notorious hatchet man on D and zero inside game on offense, deadly from 18ft though. Certainly not in the class of Moses, Kareem or Shaq as dominant centers.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 3, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Hate to risk encouraging the troll, but I've got to stick up for one of my boys:

Laimbeer was a damn good big man. He was a very good (if occasionally "overly physical") defender in the paint, an outstanding rebounder, and very good shooter with range out to the 3 pt line. He was also a 4 time all-star. The Bad Boys don't win those titles without him.

But, other than that . . . yeah, you're dead on; his entire argument is backsliding, contradictory nonsense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Of course. Especially when your backups are 6'8", 6'6" and 6'5".

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheGodFather | November 2, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect, TheGodFather, there is absolutely nothing in this post that makes even the slightest bit of sense.

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. When a team is going bad, they usually say "just wait 'til next year." This is our next year (after a 19-win season), and we are (so far) doing well, and so some are saying, "just wait 'til next year." Too funny.

I am definitely going to live in the moment. If this team goes 9-73 next year, I can lament that next year.

Great point, Shadow.

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Can you win in this league with two 6'4" guards?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Of course. Especially when your backups are 6'8", 6'6" and 6'5".

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 5:35 AM | Report abuse

On the serious side, though, height is not as great a factor in winning as some would like to think. Winning is about desire and heart. The early returns are in, and both Gil and Randy have heart -- lots of it! I would go to war with those guys any day.

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse

DCMAN,

I already corrected that comment. Must of missed it. I misread your comment originally. And, I even got a chuckle out of it. Nice job. For once, the pessimism was missing.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 3, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Most of these comments are premature and meaningless after only 3 games. The fact is, based on years of observation, Haywood and Stevenson are not starters on any other team in the league and should not be given starters money in new contracts to resign with the Wizards. If the Wizards want to over pay them just to keep them around, well it's their money. However, if both these guys play over their heads this season, they could be trade bait for draft choices or some combination of players. For now Haywood starts and I hope he does well but he is not the future in Washington at center and Stevenson should only get minor minutes this season especially if Nick Young can come along.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | November 3, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows

Gil dropped 60 on Kobe's head.

That's the best you can come up with?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 2, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

@bulletsfan78, Sometimes its just best to say: "My Bad... I was wrong!" Cuz we can't always be right all the time. But I do respect your opinion.(peace)

Posted by: bazteal | November 3, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"The fact is, based on years of observation, Haywood and Stevenson are not starters on any other team in the league."

Haywood would be starting for Sacramento over Sean May, Charlotte over Chandler maybe Dallas over Dampier and Detroit over an old Ben Wallace, Houston now that Yao Ming is out, and on a few other teams. The same is probably true for Stevenson.

Posted by: midlevex | November 3, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Ernie was smart by waiting until the end of the season. The key if that we hold Foye's rights as a restricted FA and he'll likely remain with the Wiz regardless of whether his salary amount being higher. I think we stand a greater chance of losing Mike Miller who will be able to command the full MLE for a contender next summer.

EG knows that the window for the current Wiz edition is 2-3 years and there is no one on the roster who can fill Heywood's role currently...he's probably in the top 10-15 centers in the league and those don't come cheaply and rarely are available in the draft unless they are projects. The Wiz may have to pay market value to keep Haywood or roll the dice that McGee is ready to start by next year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 3, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Reading the interview excerpts, I am once again impressed by Foye's matter-of-fact professionalism and common sense.

That's a guy who gets it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey LarryinClinton (Nice place to live...HA) and DC_Man.

My season tickets are in section 119 row D. Why don't you guys come to the game, come over and introduce yourselfs, so I can stick you in the face.

Thanks.

Posted by: dominic10464 | November 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

That's a guy who gets it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That quote jumped out at me as well. Seems Ernie is good at judging more than just basketball talent.

Posted by: bpybay | November 3, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

3 games into the season and people are losing their minds about what to do with everyone on the roster. How about enjoying the great run we're about to have as fans and see how it plays out. I remember the horrible years we had under Wes Unseld and company. Those were painful years to be a Bullets fan. GO WIZ! Beat Cleveland tonight and we'll resign everyone for the max......lol

Posted by: go_wiz1 | November 3, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | November 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you also Cedric.
Having a big like Brendan will prove to be a keeper for a team like this. I would not pay him big dollars because he would eventually move to the bench as a backup. He can definitely be a mentor to whoever unplants him. I think he still has 3 more good years left and while he may not be what Ewing or Hakeem were at his age, he is still a good defensive player. He just recently grew into the player that he is now, it just took him a while.
He has been the best center to this team since...Moses Malone and (gulp) even Wes!

Go Wiz!