Jamison sits, Miller practices and reaction to D-Wade's dunk

Antawn Jamison missed practice again, with what Coach Flip Saunders described as a fever and headache. Jamison had to visit a doctor, Saunders said, adding that he wasn't sure if Jamison would be available on Saturday against the Detroit Pistons.

Saunders said he would make a decision after shootaround about Jamison and Mike Miller, who decided to participate in full contact drills on Friday; his first full practice since spraining his left shoulder last week against Miami. Asked how he looked, Saunders said, "Like he hadn't played in a while."

Miller admitted that his shoulder is still in pain but said he wants to play and had grown bored sitting at home while his teammates struggled. He said he doesn't have the patience to rest any longer because of the team's five-game losing streak. "We need a win," he said. "I'll be all right. I'm not going to put myself in any jeopardy. I'll be fine."

"I told Flip that I'll be ready to play," Miller said. "If he feels I'm hurting the team, take me out. If not, I'll be ready to play. My job is to play basketball. If they pay me to play basketball, that's what they should expect. They should expect me to go out there and play. Until they tell me not to play, I'm going to do it."

Randy Foye was also able test his sprained right ankle with some light jogging and worked on the elliptical machine. He is in no rush to return and risk any further damage. "That's the concern, that's what they're telling me, not to rush back, take my time. I'm going to take my time and if I feel good, I'm going to play," Foye said. "No one's pushing us to come back, but we just want to get out there and produce. I think just the competitive nature of wanting to get out there and help your team win.

Another encouraging sign for the Wizards was the sight of Javaris Crittenton wearing signature adidas sneakers -- on both feet. He shot free throws and also worked on the elliptical machine. Crittenton will still be restricted to wearing a boot when he walks on his own until Monday. He said he will need at least two more weeks of rehab before he can beginning running and going full bore.

"Yeah, everybody is hurt. It would be a great opportunity right now, but I'm hurt, too," said Crittenton. "I'm not trying to rush back because everybody is injured. I'm trying to make sure that I'm completely healed first, before I step on that court."

If you haven't had a chance to see Dwyane Wade's dunk on Anderson Varejao, then you missed out on probably the most emasculating dunk in recent memory, even more than Baron Davis's elbow-to-the-face and ka-boom over Andrei Kirilenko in the 2007 playoffs.

Caron Butler said he was getting a massage while watching the Heat-Cavaliers game last night. When he saw Wade send Varejao sprawling to the ground, he shot up and nearly knocked over his masseuse. Then, he decided to relax. "I got to keep myself calm. I got to play him next week," he said.

After practice, I overheard someone else put it best: "If they can retire Jordan's jersey in Miami, they should also put a chalk outline on the floor of Varejao."

By Michael Lee  |  November 13, 2009; 2:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew
Next: Morning brew, weekend edition

Comments

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

As fate would have it, Jamison doesn't get a fever and headache for the several weeks he was out injured and as soon as he gets ready to get back on the court and give the team a boost, what happens?

Buzzard's Luck.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 13, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm hardly "astonished" by Boykins' signing. As I said before, I have no issue with it, I just don't think it'll make any difference. And, assuming that the "short guy last season" is Dee Brown . . . two things: (A) 19 wins (B) they ditched him for Juan Dixon. So much for "providing a spark."

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 3:06 PM

I'm laughing again, and contrare my good fellow, I do have a great idea what I am talking about.

The fact that you think the signing will not make any difference indicates astoundment that it was done in the first place.

To be astounished indicates disbelief, indifference, and begs the question of why do it, if, it will not make any difference.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders indicated on The Fan this morning that some of the Teams that have got off to great starts have had a good majority of there games at home and that our opponents have been much tougher as a whole than theirs.

He further indicated that even if we were healthy, the toughness of our schedule so far still would have been tough to overcome.

He was not making an excuse but rather stating an obvious fact and I totally agree with him.

The injuries, the schedule, will even out as we go along.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't get everyone being so excited over Wade's dunk. Sure it was nice, but hardly "all-world" like everyone is proclaiming. He damn near dropped it anyways - it rattled home. Carter's dunk over Weiss in the Olympics was a site, as was Stark's left hand jam in the playoffs vs the Bulls I think. I am sure someone that really pays attention to dunks could name 50 better ones.

Posted by: Henchlow | November 13, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

(A) "Astoundment" is not a word and (B) You still have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

That's a hot video of DWade dunking, but I prefer this video:

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

henchlow i got a coupla Bron Bron dunks 1) Body to Body facial on Tim Duncan 2) Crowning Nowitzki in the All-Star game a coupla years back

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"And the fact that Dee Brown did provide a spark on the floor last year when he did play is not undone because we had a clueless coach that did not realize and capitalize on it."

(And okay, "astoundment" is a word, but it's an archaic usage.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I like Miller's attitude. Hope it doesn't prove to be foolhardy.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

And okay, "astoundment" is a word, but it's an archaic usage.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 4:36 PM

Ha! Ha! I'm laughing again.

Are you trying to call me old because I used an archaic word?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

That was a beautiful marriage of a great dunk and an all-world flop! It's great to see two masters at work.

Posted by: fifthstop | November 13, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Are you trying to call me old because I used an archaic word?"

Yeah, you're an old dude Larry.

God forbid you use a word that you can't abbreviate in a text message! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"But the fact that his supposed "spark" did nothing to (A) help them win games or (B) stop them from dumping him as soon as someone they liked better came along does undo your argument (such as it is)."

No. You take my argument to far. Never stated that he helped the team win games, but only that he gave the offense a spark when he was on the floor.

And the fact that they dumped him dosen't undue that fact but it rather indicates the dimwittedness of the coach to not use what Dee Brown bought to floor, speed, UpTemPo offense, and he was an able bodied three point shooter.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"Are you trying to call me old because I used an archaic word?"

Yeah, you're an old dude Larry.

God forbid you use a word that you can't abbreviate in a text message! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2009 4:58 PM

LMAO.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

'twas a phenom dunk, right up there with many of the best imho.

but it was certainly no The Dunk, starks over mj, pipp, horace

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

and dont play miller. he's still in pain and missing just 1 more game gives him an additional 5 days to heal up.

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Sit GA, AJ, RF and MM for Detroit. Get all hands on deck for Cleveland.

Turn the entire season around? Beat Cleveland next Wednesday.

Posted by: Izman | November 13, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

dwayne wade is 10 times better than anyone on the wizards

Posted by: garyhalperinyoga | November 13, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna wait until 25 games are played then i'll give my evaluation of Flip and hopefully this team will be healthy by then so as to not give a skewed view of my boyzzzz.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 13, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

JUST WOW!! ON THE WADE DUNK I MEAN VAREJAO NEEDS TO GO SOMEWHERE AND HIDE, FLAT OUT FACIAL ON NATIONAL TV NO LESS!!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 13, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Aww shucks Dargregmag, Jus' cause' you' gonna' wait 25 games iz' that gonna' make your skewed view any different.

Let it out now, nothings like the present.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The dunk was sweet because it was on Varejao's head. That guy make me want to hit things.

Posted by: jon_quest | November 13, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Wizards need more players like Miller that play with their heart and team. Too many of the Wizards count their dollars, worry about their stats and playing time.

Injured players is not the problem with the Wizards that we keep hearing. The problem is most do not have enough heart.

If my wife were messing around with Shaq it would effect my plat too. Sports writers need to tell it like it is and stop putting a spin on everything. Guess than no Wizard would talk to them and they would not have a story to write.

Posted by: NewbillJT | November 13, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

What?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Dee Brown did little to nothing for the team last year. I almost forgot we even signed him. So, if that is a spark to you on a 19 win team then ok. Boykins will probably get 15-20 mins for the next few games and not much else beyond those games. Yippee!!!

Unfortunate of Critter, this was his opportunity and, of course, he is hurt as well.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

dee brown ran pretty fast. that's about all i remember of him. not much offense or even defense for that matter.

Posted by: tgif11 | November 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I've said it once I'll say it again. Wade is the best player with Kolby aging. He should have won rookie of the year his first year and he won a championship with aging Shack and guys who were bench players. Wade is a beast.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 13, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Eric Maynor had 13 pts, 11 assts a steal and only 2 TO's in his first start (+6 in 35 minutes), a win.

I guess we won't get Utah to trade him for NY.

Posted by: Blurred | November 13, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Harrison Barnes, the No. 1 prospect in the ESPNU 100, will play college basketball at North Carolina.

Barnes, a 6-foot-8, 209-pound small forward, chose the Tar Heels over Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Oklahoma and Iowa State.

Barnes makes an already good North Carolina class even better. He joins Reggie Bullock of Kinston, N.C. (Kinston), No. 13 in the ESPNU 100 and the second-ranked shooting guard, and Kendall Marshall of Arlington, Va. (Bishop O'Connell), No. 19 in the top 100 and fourth-ranked point guard.

BulletsFan78 above info from ESPN...I guess Dem Dar Tarheels done outrecruited Maryland again.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Wizards should waive Mike James and pick up Pops.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 13, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

"Wizards should waive Mike James and pick up Pops.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 13, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse "

It would be a poor decision to "waive" Mike James as he has tremendous trade value b/c he's on the last year of his $7mil contract.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

They do every year.

I still think we split and may even take both games from you guys this year.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 14, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I figured I'd let it ride a little before I checked in to the Wiz blog.

Last time I was here consistently was shortly after the draft, and I remember emphasizing that:

1)The roster that Ernie is assembling is fool's gold and won't ever get out of the first round.

2)Ernie was a total donkey for passing on Dejuan Blair

A couple people shouted me down, and I'm wondering how cats are feeling with our 2-whatever squad so far.

No wait, let me guess:

"This team is going to be really good once it gets healthy".

Yes, I knew that would be the response. It's been the response for THREE FRICKIN YEARS!!!

And instead of getting Blair, it looks we bided our time to sign Old Man Oberto. Let's run the breakdown so far:

Oberto's averages:
20 min, 2pts, 2rebs
$2mill/season

Blair:
20 min, 7 pts, 7rebs
$850,000/season

Thanks, Ernie.

Posted by: p1funk | November 14, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

@p1funk,

I submit to you it's a little early for anybodies "I told you so's". We are only 1/10th into the season. That's like making proclamations on the NFL season at halftime of the second game.

I do have to say much like Oberto's numbers don't state the impact (positive) he has on most games (i.e. when there are actually offensive players around him). I've watched two full SA games and I barely noticed Blair played although I'm sure he got his "numbers". Besides, it's much to do about literally nothing.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 14, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

They do every year.

I still think we split and may even take both games from you guys this year.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 14, 2009 1:23 AM

Yeah, you could be right. It looks like most teams are weak this year. When you look at the players Carolina lost last year, they still ranked them 4th in the country.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 14, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

No smart GM would ever trade for OBERTO. SA and Detriot paid to get rid of him. Not only does he play 20+mins you have a young stud sitting behind him. How is Stevenson playing? Flip has killed McGee and Young's spirit. Maybe Ernie and Flip are the ones that need mental help.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 14, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

So what's the big deal about this dunk? A dunk is two points just like a jumper. And emasculating? That's a bit much. Come on, this isn't a playground where the taunter makes the tauntee go home, or is it?

Posted by: rickgonz | November 14, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

The worst part of the injuries is having to endure DS.
Interesting how reputations in sports are created. DS as a defensive specialist is absurd. What he held Wade to 40? He stinks and has absolutely no game. Add to Oberto to the list of Wiz with no offensive skills...so having BH Ds Oberto and a struggling GA and CB explains the Wiz's dilemma. And also the reason that GA and CB are so futile is the lack of offensive balance.
Just a pathetic situation, just after 2 weeks.

Posted by: mricklen | November 14, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@rnbrown/mricklen,

It amazes me sometimes how little people know about basketball or perhaps just how lazy they can be with their thoughts. DS has played very good defense on Wade. Most of Wade's points were made off of turnovers or others guarding him. DS kept him under control in one on one half half court situations and if he scored he generally had a hand in his face. Not much more you can do than that in basketball.

Those franchises paid to "get rid of" Oberto bc he needed a heart procedure and was not healthy. Again, lazy thinking.

As far as McGee and Young, the only one that deserves mins is McGee. Young has digressed when challenged to become a real basketball player as opposed to freelancing offensive gunner who does virtually nothing else. McGee shows glimpses and does get spot mins as he should. As he becomes more consistent, so will his mins.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 14, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Case in point:

Wade scored 12 pts in the first half last game in Miami with DS all over him on D.

By the end of the 3rd quarter, which is when we went on a turnover binge, he had 27 pts. And, I don't believe DS committed a single turnover.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 14, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse