Mike Miller's return causes more pain

Oooh...ah. No, that really hurts. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

There were a number of troubling developments from the game last night, but the most glaring was the sight of Mike Miller cringing and grimacing as he sprinted off the floor with a left shoulder injury. Miller is the third Washington Wizard starter to go down with an injury, and he is expected to miss the next seven to 10 days.

But did it have to come to that? Miller proved that he is one tough dude when he suffered a mild left shoulder sprain early in the third quarter and returned to play about seven more minutes. Miller got hurt when he attempted to run through a screen. His arm immediately went limp but he played for a few seconds more before Flip Saunders sent DeShawn Stevenson into the game.

Miller groaned and grimaced as head athletic trainer Eric Waters tried to work with his left arm. He later ran to the tunnel and his night likely should've been over.

But it wasn't. "It went numb, but I thought I could come back," Miller said after the game.

When Miller returned to the bench, Saunders received word from the team medical staff that he was good to go. "They said he thought he felt pretty good, give him a shot to let him go," Saunders said. "I put him in to see how he was doing. At the time we put him back in, the team was playing good and he was playing good. but when he went down again, I said, 'that's enough.' "

Miller went down in the worst possible fashion. But even before he made that left hand layup and crashed on his left shoulder after a collision with Miami's Earl Anthony, there was a huge hint that it probably wasn't the best idea to have him on the floor at that point. Miller palmed a rebound with his right hand and didn't bother lifting his left arm. That's not good. After falling on his shoulder, Miller was doubled over and attempted to play defense with his left arm pressed against his body.

"It was hurting, I'm sure the kind of fall he took, it didn't help," Saunders said. "I thought he was pretty good with one arm, to be honest."

Miller made plays, but at what cost?

Asked after the game why he even came out, Miller made it sound like he was disappointed that the Wizards medical staff kept him from going back in after he aggravated the injury. "I don't like to sit out," Miller said. "It's early in the season. If it had been late in the season, I would've tried to keep going and sometimes you got to listen to [the medical staff]. I feel pain, but I'll be all right. Not where I wanted it to be. I hope I can be a quick healer and we'll see what happens."

By Michael Lee  |  November 5, 2009; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew
Next: Morning brew

Comments

So who starts at the 2 Friday @ Indy?

My vote is for Nick Young. He should do well in the summer league style the Pacers like to play plus Flip knows what he'll be getting from Foye and DSteve off the pine.

BTW, in case people are wondering here's DeBrick's early offensive profile:

31% FGs
17% 3-point FG
50% Free Throws

Memo to Flip: This guy will kill you w/o a healthy big 3. Cut his minutes until the big dogs are out there with him.

Posted by: elfreako | November 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Can we please get a Jamison update/target date? Thanks

Posted by: docktora | November 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

So who starts at the 2 Friday @ Indy?

Posted by: docktora

Move Butler to the 2 and start Dom at the 3. I don't trust Nick Young as far as I can throw him.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This team is obviously offensively challenged with AJ out and Cb just coming back. Why is NY not getting any time?
Is it the really poor game he had last time out? Probably.

Posted by: original_mark | November 5, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Nick the talk of camp down in Richmond? Why can't he battle Brandon Rush for one night?

I think a spot start might get his head back in the game.

He can't be any worse than DeBrick.
I mean really. It's impossible.

Posted by: elfreako | November 5, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody notice the O Pecherov had 24 points and 8 rebounds against the Celtics last night!? Where did that come from ? Is Songalia even with them still ? I guess he can "get buckets" once in a while. Not sure this will be a regular thing though.

Posted by: jfleming209 | November 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The bigger issue IMO is the troubling trend of the team's medical staff and trainers misdiagnosing and allowing players to continue to play with injuries: Butler (torn labrum in hip), Stevenson (back injury), Arenas (knee problems) are just a few recent examples of players trying to play through injuries when the team's medical staff knows the risks.

The original injury to Miller should have been enough to remove him from the game, ice it, and then get him into a sling if needed to start the healing process. This wasn't a playoff game or even a game that would have gotten the Wiz in the playoffs. Miller may have wanted to play, but the trainers should have known better.

It continues to amaze me that EG who has been the GM at multiple succesful franchises (NY, Milwaukee, and Washington) would not have insisted on bringing in a new set of team doctors and trainers to take care of the team's most important assets, its players.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Miller really impressed me last night. I kept yelling at the TV hoping that Flip would take him out of the game.

Get healthy soon!

Posted by: Mustachio | November 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Eminem earned himself a spot on the wiz til he retires IMHO. He showed the type of toughness and heart that's been missing from the team the last couple years. SJK DS and all that swag SJK, his swag is gonna get him traded, while Eminem's heart has me eating every foul word i said about him and the trade this summer. i doubt you woulda got anything like that from a rookie, MM really made a statement about his character and what the team's character should be. MM will be my first white guy bball jersey.

CUT Stevenson,TRADE Butler. Caron gets his numbers, but his game looks like it's on the rapid decline. DS is just the worst. The Locksmith gettin as much of Wades 40-piece as anybody did down the stretch, that coupled with several quick bricks makes him useless. NY must be a jerk in the locker room to not get pt over that guy.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 5, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I know from experience that athletes will almost always say they feel better than they really do. I've done the same thing that Gilbert and Miller have done, push yourself and try to continue with an injury. This is where team doctors AND the coach need to temper the athlete. You can't fault the player for wanting to play. You want that. But coaches and trainers need to be forceful in making sure athletes sit when they are injured.

When Miller was holding his arm on the court, the coaches and trainers should have pulled him immediately. I mean, Flip said "that's enough" when he hurt it the second time? No kidding...

I love the desire Miller showed, though. Playing a regular season game in that kind of pain is a great sign in what the team and game means to him. I hope he gets better soon.

Posted by: kyureosity | November 5, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I could see from my couch at home watching the tube that Miller's arm shoulder was hanging down and bad. Are you telling me Flip couldn't see that from the bench. That is completely absurd.

Posted by: dovelevine | November 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jfleming209 | November 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I get buckets son.

Greatest sports quote ever.

Posted by: MBUSA | November 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

BTW DeStink stunk before, he stinks now and he'll stink next year. If ole Flip can't see that and starts playing him like EJ, I'm outta here.

Posted by: dovelevine | November 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If the mild sprain gets upgraded to something more serious then playing Miller was a mistake, but this could have been the first quality win for the team this year. And if the Wiz had won I think that poll result would have been much closer.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 5, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

At this point, all the injuries aren't just bad luck. We need a new training staff, or at least a directive from on high (i.e. Grunfeld) that players be held out from games and treated more cautiously, even for minor injuries.

Posted by: dcgoblue | November 5, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young looks hungry. I'm all for putting him in, so long as he keeps his game face, fights for rebounds, maintains focus on Defense, and is aggressive but smart on offense. Can you do what Mike Miller does Nick???? Please Show us.

Posted by: liveride | November 5, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

First quality win? I think beating Dallas in Dallas is quality. Especially after they went and beat the Lakers in LA.

Posted by: kyureosity | November 5, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Players go back on the court after suffering mild sprains all the time. Mario Chalmers sprained his ankle in the first half and was limping around the court like Fred Sanford, but he came back when Arenas started abusing Arroyo. Unless the injury is such (like a break or a tear) that it clearly physically prevents a player from getting on the court, it's usually a case of how much pain a player can tolerate. When that happens, it's largely up to the player to tell the trainers how much pain there is and whether it's tolerable. Clearly Miller was in pain, but if he told the training staff he could play through it, they pretty much have to take him at his word unless there's demonstrable evidence to the contrary.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

As for who starts . . . most likely it'll be Foye, just like it was when Caron was out. Young is clearly not in Flip's good graces.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

When is anyone going to get it!! The Wiz medical staff stinks!!!!!! The reason our players end up out longer than they should be is because these bunch of quacks employed by the Wiz don't have a clue as to what constitutes an injury. Look to the past to and you will see what I mean. At first Jamison would only be out a couple of weeks. Now, it is a month out and he is still out a couple of more weeks. Same with Gilbert. No way Mike should have been allowed to come back in the game. His coming back has probably made the injury more severe and cost him and the Wiz valuable playing time. Brendan was smart, he went and got diagnosed by a doct or in NY of his own choosing. I used to thing the Wiz was cursed. They aren't cursed, they just have inept medical staffers.

AUGGHHHHHHHHHH!!

Posted by: ivyleague | November 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone suggesting they ditch Butler is almost as foolish as the ones suggesting they ditch Jamison.

What did people think was going to happen? That Arenas was going to come back after basically two years of not playing and everyone would pick up where they left off? That there'd be no adjustment period? That it wouldn't take guys time to readjust to different roles? Relax, for god's sake.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying caron's lost a step, it's not just b/c of a couple early season losses. CB is good, but he doesn't look explosive. he's not attacking offensively and he looks worse than NY with the dribble nowadays. I've been saying his game was on the decline since last year when he all but gave up attacking the basket in favor of mid range jumpers. If the real Tough Juice doesn't come back we can definitely get value for this #3 character.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Kalo...I am right with yuou on this.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: liveride |

So you are asking NY to do all the things he has never done before? Or was this supposed to be an ironic joke?

Just remember...if you think DeShawn sucks, there is a reason that NY isn't getting the PT. It's because he plays more poorly than Foye, Miller and DeShawn, even though he can make a few shots here and there.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Stevenson's back is healthy but he still sucks. Hmmm. look at his shot and it isn't hard to tell why he is inconsistent. His body is like a corkscrew on his release. He is out there for his perimeter D but it was pretty poor last night. Got caught reaching on Wade a couple times in the 4th and got burned for buckets.. pretty lame. Bottom line is pros have to make open shots and play D - he is failing.

And what about Butler's turnovers so far this year??? I mean his decision making and passing is terrible. He had a throw away last night on that lame pass to Oberto and didn't run the floor to get back on defense, then threw the following inbounds pass out of bounds! Did the same against Atlanta. Disappeared after the first 15 minutes against Cleveland. Although Wade fouled the crap out of him on that drive to the basket with 50 some seconds to go.. No call. that was a game changer. He should've been at the line for the lead there. Instead next possession your boy Stevenson misses both and Wade comes back down for the go ahead... But he seems to not be focused for the whole game.

Gil's shot still isn't right. no surprise.. his decision making shows he's still a bit uncomfortable out there as evidenced by the last possession down 3. They also need to be doing a better job of moving without the ball as he is getting double teamed on the pick and roll constantly and they aren't scoring consistently enough to make teams stop doing it.

Young I think just isn't a quick study. His bball IQ seems to be lacking or he just can't focus very well and falls asleep out there. I'd like to see him get some run though if for nothing else than he is a guy who can hit the open shot. And those guys are needed right now with AJ and MM out for a bit... still early though. Still like this team..

Posted by: unkonchus | November 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Butler didn't attack the basket as much last season because (A) without Arenas (or even a healthy Stevenson) on the court (and the fact that he was often on the court with 3 nonscorers), there wasn't much of an outside shooting threat to loosen the defense, which meant that defenses were more likely to load up on him and (B) he was playing primarily out of position at SG, which meant that he was generally being guarded by quicker players he had more difficulty getting around. Butler has never really been a guy who exploded off the dribble against tight man coverage (a la Kobe or Wade). Hes got good ball skills, but he generally benefited from the fact that he's actually a little undersized at SF and was usually guarded by bigger, slower players he could take advantage of. He didn't have that going for him at SG.

Last season was a disaster from top to bottom. No meaningful judgment can be made by what went on then.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

However, had we won, I would say "Bravo!" to Mike Miller. Seeing as how we lost, I'd say it was an unnecessary risk.

Posted by: supuradam | November 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"I remember Gilbert saying at some point that he wished the trainers would have held him back, so I don't feel players should make that decision."

It's been well-documented that the Wizards training and medical staff did tell Arenas to slow down and not to try and overdo things or rush back too quickly. He repeatedly ignored their advice and did his own thing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah; lets trade Butler he's a slacker,LMAO! and before we crown Pecherov comeback player of the year can we let the season play itself out? just remember what i said about Flip's assistants before the season started compared to EJ's staff. I wholeheartedly agree about the Wizards medical staff Dr.Vinnie-Boom-Batz and his crack staff of Quacks LOL! i wouldn't let not one of those jokers near my players, they would turn a headache into a frontal labotomy scary very scary!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unkonchus | November 5, 2009 3:05 PM

Unkonchus I agree and disagree with you on NY. The part I disagree with you on is NY is "not a guy who can hit an open shot". Both he and Stevenson have very un "text like" releases on their "j's". Both of them "pull the string" on their releases, thus making them unreliable if they do not go straight through the rim (i.e. swish or "net").

They never fully follow through on their releases. Gilbert does it alot also, but he seems to have more control over it. Mike Miller, AJ, and Foye are the only ones on the squad who will most likely hit an open shot because of their correct form in the way they release the ball for their "j's". AB and CB also pull the string alot on their releases.

As for the "corktop" example on Stevenson, I had said earlier on the other post this morning it was his release that looked liked a cross between a corktop motion and a waist to chest push shot. Once he releases it the ball has a "sidespin" rotation which in most cases will never go in the basket.

The dude has terriable form, plus he can not check anybody anymore. I wonder what the Knicks would take back from us in order for us to get Larry Hughes back?

As I said before, if you could put NY's talent into DMac's body; man would we have an All Star on our hands. Don't get me wrong, I like both of these young dudes, but I am starting to think DMac is "maxed out" on what he can do and NY just does not have the mental toughness to take his game to another level.

NY's demeanor on the floor sucks. He looks like he does not really care sometimes and he shows everything on his face on how he is feeling and that is not good to show to the other team.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

hey guys we all watch the games or at least try to watch them. If some of you think CB is playing well right now i'm glad yall like what you see.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood, CB is not playing well, as you say. He's forcing it. Too much dribble. He's like a black hole. But when you're leader, Gil, is not moving the ball, then I think it sets the tone for the rest of the team. Gil has got to do a better job of getting Miller, CB, and the other guys involved.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 5, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Game 1: Blatche 20 pts, W
Game 2: Blatche 13 pts, L
Game 3: Blatche 30 pts, W
Game 4: Blatche 7 pts, L
Game 5: Blatche 10 pts, L

This is the kind of inconsistency we consistenly get from Blatche. I like the dude, though, and a 16 pt avg is nothing to sneeze at.

This just shows that either he doesn't bring it every game, or gets slowed down by any real defense.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

If all our players went down injured because they played as ahrd as Miller, I'd be OK with that.

I said it a couple days ago; if everyone played a full game as hard as Miller, we would be OK. Probably win 60 games. Just with the Talent level we have.

But we this is the NBA, home of "I only care in a contract year."

NBA has GOT to get rid of the crooked refs and the guaranteed contract. Guaranteed for a year? Sure. Two years? Maybe. But 5-7 year guaranteed contracts suck for the fans.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I actually think Blatche has been more consistent so far this season than he's ever been in any 5 game stretch of his career.

It's not necessarily about numbers with Blatch, as far as consistency goes. He's not s superstar player you expect to carry a team, so a game with nonspectacular stats isn't a surprise or necessarily a problem. If he were capable of putting up a double-double every game no matter what, he wouldn't have been the 49th pick of the draft. The real issue has always been the inconsistency of his focus and effort. Too often he would alternate a great game where he made mostly the right moves and decisions on the court right with a long stretch of games where he seemed to be trying to set a new record for boneheaded decision making every night. For the most part, he's stayed away from that this season.

The biggest sign of his maturity to me has been the fact that, several times in multiple games he's pulled down an offensive rebound and started to dribble up court, only to pull up short of the half-court like and look for a guard to hand the ball off to. It's a small thing, but as far as signs of light go, it could be very telling.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Make that, "several times in multiple games he's pulled down a defensive rebound . . . "

If he pulled down an offensive rebound and started dribbling the other way, then there'd be something to worry about.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Didn't know Pecherov could be comeback player of the year. To stage a comeback, wouldn't you have had to got off the bench sometime before?

Got to agree, new coach, new system, three new players getting a lot of minutes, a point guard that's been on ice for two seasons, and it wasn't going to take some time to make that mix work?

Come on people, just a chill a little.

I still think the team needs one more vet up front to compete with the likes of Cleveland. Ernie's probably still evaluating, looks like he's been traveling with the team so far, that smells like a GM that may still think he's got a move to make. Jamison's return will help up front, but I think Ernie's searching for one more peice to the puzzle.

One thing, I thought Mike Miller may have been a one and done guy here, now I'd agree the guy should get a chance to stay here for a long time. The more I see, the more I like, He's an all around better player then I ever knew, with great court awareness, and tough as nails. I've watched a lot of games on the ticket, but to tell the truth, I knew he was a great streak shooter, he just never really saw the rest in him.

Who knew? Ernie did. Great NBA talent evaluator

Blatche is still playing well, his stats aren't as big the last two games, but he's playing some solid ball. Top shelf teams can come at you in waves up front, this team still seems a move away from top shelf.

But moving Butler isn't the move...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | November 5, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

DeSean Stevenson is the Austin Kearns of the Wiz.

Posted by: dovelevine | November 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I am convinced that Oly Pecherov is the best Ukrainian 7 foot center ever to play in the Upper Midwest.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

So in light of the recent news, I'm guessing the game on Nov 18th brings on an even greater intensity for Gil?

Posted by: OwlWiz | November 5, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Kalo...good points all.

I guess I wasn't as clear on the page as I was in my head.

I was mentally using that as a comparison to Jamison as an argument against all the folks that want AB to start over AJ.

AB is the best 49th pick ever!!!

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Any bets on when Mike James gets his first PT?

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

This isn't related to this story, but I couldn't help but notice that Pecherov scored 24 for the T'wolves last night against Boston. Seems to continue the pattern of players the Wiz couldn't/wouldn't develop leaving her and doing well elsewhere. Think: Hamilton, Wallace and many more. I guess we're the NBA's Prep School.

Posted by: salescoach | November 5, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Miller's shoulder injury was noticed by everyone watching including the Miami coaches who used a weak defender on him because they knew he was hurting. To risk him suffering a more serious injury (which IMO is up in the air at this point), the Wiz training staff should never have allowed him back on the bench unless it was with an ice pack.

Once Miller left the game, the offense stagnated and it become the Agent Zero game of going one on one & trying to get to the line. Gilby should take some notes from D. Wade how he gets his points but its within the offense even though Miami has less scorers.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 5, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Kalo on Blatche. I've noticed it, too, on many occassions that Blatche would over dribble in the past. Not only bringing it up the court, but in the half court offense. He seems to catch and make a move or pass the ball. He did have one case of trying to do too much last night that resulted in a turnover and got called for a charge bringing the ball up the court (but that should have been a block).

As for the last two games, the big difference would be foul trouble against the Cavs (which every big man had on the Wiz) and his jumper wasn't falling last night. I wouldn't call the performance inconsistent. The effort was there. The result wasn't. I'm pleased with him this year.

I would like to see NY play, but the guy plays zero defense. Stevenson is in there to play D. I thought he put in a great effort last night. And he is only shooting the open shot. I would understand people calling for him to sit if he was shooting us out of games. I think it's just a reaction more to last year than anything else. When NY has gotten time this year, it's not as if he has lit it up. And when his shot doesn't fall, he gets more and more frustrated.

With Miller out, more people are going to get playing time. I think then people can real feel on who deserves more minutes. But as it has been said, this team needs time to gel. A lot of new pieces and new old pieces playing together.

Posted by: kyureosity | November 5, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards medical staf strikes again!

Posted by: Roman5 | November 5, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I still like this team and expect great things from them this year. I'm not pining for Pech or Darius or Etan, but I'm rooting for them to do well in their new homes. Songaila is in New Orleans, playing the same role for the Hornets he played here -- last night he had 10 points, 2 rebounds and 2 steals in the OT victory over Dallas. Etan has been solid for Oklahoma City.

Miller has been playing this same tough game since he was a high school whiz in Montana. I hope EG makes the deal that will keep him here.

I think Caron's problem is figuring out how to fit into a new scheme. He's forcing his offense a bit too much right now. He needs to let the game come to him, work on getting rebounds, playing solid defense.

The Cleveland game showed just how much we miss Jamison.

The Miami game showed that Gil isn't quite "money" yet. But I think he'll get there.

And, yeah, Foye ought to be in the backcourt with Gil against Indiana. Young just needs to be ready, and keep his head up.

Posted by: zinger1 | November 5, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Please do not blame AB, he is so consistant.He is contributing in all areas,his touchs are minimal in the last two games.If there is o assist from the point gard how do you expect your PF to score?
The wizard are still trying to find how to play against defensive teams.Flip need to start to use DM at 2 for defense instade of inserting bad DS? why on earth he has to run for that ball as if he is a good scorer from the charity line.He is responsible for last night's loss.
They all are NBA players , they are paid to play this game,they need to contribute on the defensive end even if they have no talent to score.CB is not himself, he was lost under the shadow of Richardson? hyow could he fail to play him better.If they decide to handle DW how on earth they have to allow richardson to shoot 5/7 from behind the arch?
Shame wizard, mr. presedent EG you better get some defensive players before midseason other wise be ready to pack your staff to leave the city, this team is not showing us any quality to be a playoff team.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 5, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | November 5, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Is it the really poor game he had last time out? Probably.

Posted by: original_mark | November 5, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________

Have you been watching the games. NY doesn't even belong in the D-League.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 5, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

I agree, he shouldn't have been back but to be fair to Flip, Miller with 1 hand is better than the alternative (Deshawn, NY).

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Critter down.

MeTawn down.

Caron down...and back.

Eminem down.

Dropping like flies.....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"Rip down, Tayshun down, Yi down, Blake down, Devin Harris down, Vince Carter down, J Howard down, Yao down, McGrady down Gasol down..Big Baby down, Kevin Martin-season over, Love down, ......

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse "

They don't have the curse tho.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

They don't have the curse tho.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse
Hmmm..I don't think Houston fans would agree...

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"They don't have the curse tho.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse
Hmmm..I don't think Houston fans would agree...

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse "

Why would anyone in DC care if other teams have players that are hurt? It doesn't make DC's situation any better.

BTW, Houston did have a nice streak of competitive basketball back in the Olajuown days. That wasn't over 30 years ago like it has been for Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Injuries=part of the game. Not surprising no championship in 30 years... not because of injuries. Last time this organization had a championship, they started 2 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

"Injuries=part of the game.
Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse "

Which is why it's ludicrous for EG to use it as an excuse for the team to suck.

It's up to the GM of the team to do his job to make trades, not excuses.

There was absolutely no reason for the team to be the worst in the league last season with two healthy all stars.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm out.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

"Injuries=part of the game.
Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse "

Which is why it's ludicrous for EG to use it as an excuse for the team to suck.

It's up to the GM of the team to do his job to make trades, not excuses.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

These are utterly ridiculous statements.

1. Injuries matter. I seem to remember the Spurs sucking when David Robinson got hurt despite the fact that they had Sean Elliot (All-Star) and Dominique Wilkins (All-star, 2 yrs removed). The difference is the Spurs got lucky in the lottery and drafted Tim Duncan. Conversely, the Wiz slid as low as possible in the lottery and missed out on Blake Griffin. Luck matters, too.

2. EG made the trades he was allowed to make. Remember, up until this year, Abe had been adamant about not going over the luxury threshhold. That's why Roger Mason was allowed to jet.

3. The GM can't do anything without the owner's input/blessing.

Do you know anything about basketball?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Agree they should not have lost 63 games but I am not sure they had anyone on that team anyone wanted in a trade besides the two all stars that would have made them better. The two veteran additions this year will help because the best teams don't rely on 1st and 2nd year players off the bench. I think they will be ok. I know you don't like Gil but honestly, Gil's able to get to the basket at will (not with as much lift in finishing) but I just he needs to pass out of it more often when the defense collapses but it seems like Flip is telling him to stay agressive so I got to trust Flip knows what he is doing.

I'm out.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 5, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse "

I like Gilby better this season b/c he's shut his yap and is just playing basketball.

There was interest in MeTawn, but EG was not willing to give him up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

"There was interest in MeTawn, but EG was not willing to give him up."

You're kidding right? Do you just make things up? They begged teams in the offseason to take him in any deal and nobody wanted an overweight, bad-back, non-shooting two-guard, who can't see his face when he makes a jumper once a game.

Posted by: davedaily2000 | November 5, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

"These are utterly ridiculous statements.

3. The GM can't do anything without the owner's input/blessing.

Do you know anything about basketball?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse "

Handle aptly selected.

Did DRob have 3 knee surgeries? Um, no.

As you stated that the Spurs got lucky...well, Les BouleS can't count on luck.

EG could have traded either Caron or MeTawn. Both had drawn interest, and both still probably have trade value.

Yes, Roger Mason was allowed to "jet" so that they could sign Juan Dixon who made zero impact while Roger thrived in SA. And, now we have Mike James making almost $7 mil as a bench warmer while Les BouleS are over the salary cap. Nice.

Dishonest Abe isn't like Snyder. Abe will allow a trade if EG suggests.

Did you not read Wilbon's article today about how deserted VC was...the 2nd home game against a division rival with Gilby healthy? That is sad.

Wilbon:

"It really wasn't a feel-good night at the Phone Booth. The crowd was small, but that's what beeeez (to quote Moses Malone) in this economy on a weeknight. The upper deck was largely empty. Half the suites appeared to be unused. There were blocks of empty seats in the lower bowl. It was like a Mystics crowd in the early oughts."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

""There was interest in MeTawn, but EG was not willing to give him up."

Posted by: davedaily2000 | November 5, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse "

Are you stupid or blind?

I said "MeTawn," not "MeShawn."

dipsh!t.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"Did DRob have 3 knee surgeries? Um, no."

Doesn't have anything to do with the team "sucking" while was out, does it?
Two healthy all-stars or not, if you're best guy is hurt you can lose A LOT of games. BTW, Spurs only won 20 games that year.

Dixon was cheaper. Don't you get it?

Whether EG suggested a trade or not, up until this year Abe's marching orders were clear: No luxury penalty.

Agree with you about the Wiz's luck. SNAKEBIT.

Handle selected in view of what we ALL enjoy doing.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | November 5, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"Doesn't have anything to do with the team "sucking" while was out, does it?

Dixon was cheaper. Don't you get it?

Agree with you about the Wiz's luck. SNAKEBIT.

Handle selected in view of what we ALL enjoy doing.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse "

Two all stars should not result in lottery. Absolutely not.

If so, then these two dudes are token all stars and don't deserve their big money contracts.

Even with Gilby, and the two all stars, they've never made it out of the 2nd round.

Dixon was cheaper, but you paid for nothing as he did nothing to help the team.

Now how cheap is Mike James sitting on your bench?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davedaily2000 | November 5, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

"Geez, sorry I can't recognize your 47 childish nicknames and thanks for the namecalling genius.

Posted by: davedaily2000 | November 5, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse "

Then STFU until you can get your act together.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"I was at the game last night, am I the only one noticed that RF didn't get much pt in the second half. He was in for a short peroid if memory serves me, but for me ( I know there was some defensive match-up problems) he was not in there nearly enough minutes. There probably would have been several trips down court with different results with his handling some of the offensive sets rather tha Gil every possesin. As for AB,he is making some very good decisions on the court with his passing and shot selection. I hope you guys dont expect 20-30 pts an outing. Just look at his overall game to date. We may later say some of the things mentioned,but for now he is very consistant. Just hope he keeps it up and be ready when the team jells and the will.

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | November 5, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse "

Chances are AB will regress once MeTawn returns and is back in the starting lineup.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Dixon was cheaper, but you paid for nothing as he did nothing to help the team.

Now how cheap is Mike James sitting on your bench?

Posted by: DC_MAN88

James arrived in the trade that sent AD to the Hornets. AD and James both had one year left on the books at nearly identical salaries, so the salary would be here regardless.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

"Again, Abe was looking to save money and perhaps draw a fan or two with the local kid. No one considered him an upgrade.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse "

It's called penny wise, dollar foolish.

You skimp on Mason for Dixon, but still end up over the salary cap and in the lottery.

STUPID.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 5, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

It's called penny wise, dollar foolish.

STUPID.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Absolutely, 100% AGREED!!

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 5, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Miller needs to attempt more three point shots anyway. Shoot jumpers and stop driving Mike.

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | November 5, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Mike, I haven't been able to watch the games, but I've noticed from the highlight reels that Gilbert is wearing a protective sleeve on the left knee again, after not wearing it the first couple games. Any particular reason for this, or is Gil just being Gil?

Posted by: NWDC3 | November 6, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I would bring 'jack-em-up' James in the game before I would use D-Brick.

Posted by: wiz_fan | November 6, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

@rphilli721

I have yet to see GA in a "championship" moment bc his team has never made it and never been good enough to do so through no fault of his own. Before injury he was making a case for himself to be on the exact same "level" as a Wade and is climbing his way back to that level now. Also, don't get your point about him making excuses. What excuses? When?

you r clearly strengthening my point about gil coming up short in "championship" moments by saying "he has never made it and never been good enough" gil played in at least two playoff series and as the best player on the team and the one who is normally taking the critical shots (and free throws) at "championship" moments/critical parts of the games...the wiz have yet to advance on his leadership...and to say that is no fault of his own just sounds like another excuse to me...as far as the excuse statement that i made concerning gil all you have to do is listen to his statements after losses..."once we get everybody back" "caron needs to just shoot"...how can he shoot if you driving to the basket and throwing up lobs at critical junctures of the game...i think gil is w/o doubt the best player on the wiz...i just don't know if he is the best player to move them into the upper level of the NBA...i hope he is because the owner has a lot invested in the guy (and I am a wizard/bullet fan)...right now i see him as someone working to get back into game shape which means he should be utilizing his teammates more (thats called basketball 101)...if u were honest you would agree that (at this point in his career) he is somewhat immature as far as basketball IQ...is he "championship" material? time will tell...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | November 6, 2009 2:57 AM | Report abuse

miller should not have returned...it was not that important of a game to risk furthe (and more serious injury) to a key player...are the guys u have on the bench that "sorry" that u have to send a 1 armed player back out there flip? if so then maybe u and ernie are not the evaluators that you're pump up to be...play the multi-million dollar cheerleaders with the best seats in the house flip...(man i wish i was a wizard bench player...all that dough and no work to show)!!!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | November 6, 2009 4:02 AM | Report abuse

I think a spot start might get his head back in the game.

He can't be any worse than DeBrick.
I mean really. It's impossible

Posted by: elfreako | November 5, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

elfreako,

With all do respect, it is obvious that Nick Young is lost when out on the floor. He does not seem to understand the various sceems the team is running and it seems when things break down (in his mind) the answer is to jack-up an ill-advised shot. While we may enjoye Nick's one-on-one basketball skills, Nick will have to learn the team game. I'm just as frustrated, but its just that simple.

As to Nick being no worse than DeBrick, (I asume you mean DeShauwn), you are correct offensively, but DeShauwn will play defense.

Love him or hate him... He will play 'D'!
Just my thaoughts.

Posted by: bazteal | November 6, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

DeJuan Blair update:

7-10 from the field
14pts, 9 rebounds, 1 block in 21 minutes.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with kalo's post that stated:

"It's not necessarily about numbers with Blatch, as far as consistency goes. He's not s superstar player you expect to carry a team, so a game with nonspectacular stats isn't a surprise or necessarily a problem. If he were capable of putting up a double-double every game no matter what, he wouldn't have been the 49th pick of the draft."
_________________________________________________________
I think that Blatche is demonstrating that he can indeed achieve superstar status and is well on his way toward averaging a double-double. All the essentials are in place. The guy is naturally gifted with size and athleticism. He's also got excellent shooting ability. And finally, his head seems to have gotten screwed-on right. They are few and far between, but there have been superstars drafted in the 2nd round. I believe one of them presently wears # "0" on the Wiz.

Posted by: phil27 | November 6, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

DeJuan Blair can put the numbers that he puts up because the Spurs have a competent medical staff.

The Wizards have witch doctors and quacks who seem to have trouble getting the wrappers off a band-aid. Fire them NOW!

Posted by: mabkhar | November 6, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Reality check. If Young tried to guard DWade he scores 60 points. As frustrating as it is to see DS put up bricks and miss free throws and make turnovers we cannot minimize what he does. I agree that DMac should have been inserted. He will pass better, not put up poor 3's and I think make Wade work jut as hard on defense.

Putting MM was so stupid that I posted it even before the second injury. Looking back now, even if we had won the game and he had not gotten hurt again, it was a POOR DECISION. Flip needs to realize that our med staff cannot be trusted. He should have trusted his own eyes. anybody could see MM's pain.

Butler clearly is adjusting to this new system and Gil is also. After 20 games we will have better feel for how this is going to work than now. Gil needs to just play within himself. Best thing about this evening's game is that the ESPN spotlights will not be on. I expect to see those 10 assists tonight.

BmoreRev