Morning brew

Happy Friday the 13th!

The Wizards welcomed veteran guard Earl Boykins with open arms yesterday. Michael Lee describes the "reunion" in today's newspaper. And on our blog, Caron Butler explains why he is still optimistic about this season.

* The Washington Times' Mike Jones says Boykins feels right at home with the Wizards.

* Bullets Forever's Mike Prada analyzes Andray Blatche's improved play.

* Truth About It offers more on Boykins's arrival.

Around the League ...

* The Hornets fire Byron Scott and replace him with General Manager Jeff Bower after nine games, but Yahoo! Sports' Marc J. Spears writes that Chris Paul had nothing to do with it. However, Paul's all-star teammate David West sounded as if the firing was good riddance. He blames Scott's "pride" for his dismissal. Meanwhile, Avery Johnson is reportedly open to coaching in his hometown team next year.

* LeBron James plans to change his jersey number from No. 23 to No. 6 out of respect for Michael Jordan (Wouldn't he be honoring Jordan by wearing the No. 23?). Then gives three reasons why he likes the No. 6. (Um, three sixes?) Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer breaks down James's wild 48-hour stream of consciousness. Funny thing about James's tribute to Jordan. He's switching to a number worn by Bill Russell. Yeah, Russell never did anything for the NBA.

By Alexa Steele  |  November 13, 2009; 9:51 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Butler optimistic that things will turn around
Next: Jamison sits, Miller practices and reaction to D-Wade's dunk

Comments

1st

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

NO looked terrible weds night. i was telling my boy "this is the type of game that gets coaches fired." Too bad for Byron though, i think it's more management than the former coach of the year. they get rid of tyson chandler and then stand pat with guys like Peja, MoPete, and West to go with the new Steve Nash. they've become way less athletic and way less exciting.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

lilhollywood

naw, I aint train with Grover. And I do have hope that Gil can regain his top end speed after another year with Grover. It does effect you mentally as you tend to watch your landing.

As for his mental fragility, Gil has rejection issues already and needs attention, thanks to his mother. That is the whole basis for his going from a zero to hero second round pick stuff. He always has something to prove. This new drama could break him, but I doubt it.

By the way, doesn't it seem that he has almost as much hate around here as Kwame?

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 13, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

LeBron James: "Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."

Wow, this is something!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

bron actually said no one should wear the # after someone referenced how Miami retired the number. he then said how the number should be retired, and his last comment was that he would be changing his number next year. but nice spin on it, any other random nonpertinent shots at the reigning MVP.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"any other random nonpertinent shots at the reigning MVP."

he whines more than any player in the league, guy is biggest crybaby in the nba

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

M-V-P.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

btw how did it go the other night starting DS against Wade? Goes to show u that i doesn't matter how a guy gets 40 if he's gettin 40. DS "contained" Wade while he was on the court, but Wade still scored from the line, in transition and in the flow of the offense while DS was on the bench. maybe with a guy like Wade u don't put in the guy that looks the best gettin 40 put on his head, but rather the guy who'll catch all 40 of em but give back 15-20 pts of his own. that's one of my issues with DS, he plays "Lockdown D" (40+pts from Flash) and gives u single digits in scoring. Whoever DS is "Locking Down" (40pts from Flash) doesn't have to worry about him on the other end and gets to save energy for offense.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

G-Man11"
Its does seem as though he has a lot of hate around here.
I guess if you make a lot of money or get any attention you should have zero personality so not hurt anyones feelings.

Posted by: millineumman | November 13, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"so not TO hurt anyones feelings"

Posted by: millineumman | November 13, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Not only Bill Russell wore number 6 but the Doctor, Julius Erving wore number 6 for the 76ers

Posted by: ptp23 | November 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

i understand that everyone thinks Bron is a jerk and all these great players wore 6, but MJ is considered the best ever, regardless of rings or awards. Jerry west even said he wouldn't trip if they changed the logo to the jumpman. there should only be 1 23 clowns like Devin Brown make the number look ugly.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 13, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"I'm only one guy," James told reporters in Orlando last night. "If I could clone myself, we'd be all right."

Ahh yes, it's refreshing to hear a star being so modest and understated for a change...oh wait

Posted by: bford1kb | November 13, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

what lebron failed to notice is that despite his individual statistical output, he hurt his squad by completely dominating the ball, especially in the fourth quarters, he's the person most responsible for his team's good play and so he trashes his teammates for not producing, don't you think his stutter step to 26 foot jumper had anything to do with the 5 game beatdown the cavs took? They can only score when he doesn't have the ball

Posted by: bford1kb | November 13, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand LeBron. Never has there been so much hype for an athlete who has never won anything. He is right about one thing. He's not in the same league as MJ. And, looking in my crystal ball, I don't see him winning the title in the next 3 years. So, how old does that make the prodigy?

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 13, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Just listened to Flip on The Fan and when asked whether Earl was just an insurance policy or not his response was interesting.

Without committing point blank, it does appear that Earl might actually get a chance to shore up the point responsiblities.

It may or may not be with Gilbert but it certainly appears Flip sees Earl as performing an active role with the Team and not just as a limited back up.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Sure Boykins will have an "active role" with the team . . . for as long as it takes for Foye to come back from his ankle, at which point Atom Ant is headed back to the bench. Or out the door.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Flip also indicates that Gilbert is still learning the offense and his body after being out for so long.

He says Gilbert is still trying the right measure of being the attack player that he is and also when to set his teammates up.

It appears that Flip is of the opinion that Gilbert can and will do both once he gets more comfortable as things goes along.

He says that you would not want Gilbert to give up what he does best.

Attacking and scoring the ball which is what he does best and setting the table for the Team is another facet altogether.

Setting the table for the Team, I think Gilbert can help at, but he should not be primarily responsible for it.

IMO Flip would be wise to give help to Gilbert in setting the table and though he did not say that today, he may already realize this.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

at which point Atom Ant is headed back to the bench. Or out the door.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 2:42 PM

Ha! Ha! I laugh because I remember when the Wiz signed that other short guy last season you seemed to be quite astonished as well.

I can't say that I blame you atall so thats why I'm laughing.

But one point though, that short guy from last year did provide a spark on the floor for the offense when he did play and I am hoping that Earl can do the same, but better, or else and I am sure you would agree that his signing was pointless.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm hardly "astonished" by Boykins' signing. As I said before, I have no issue with it, I just don't think it'll make any difference. And, assuming that the "short guy last season" is Dee Brown . . . two things: (A) 19 wins (B) they ditched him for Juan Dixon. So much for "providing a spark."

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2009 3:06 PM

I'm laughing again, and contrare my good fellow, I do have a great idea what I am talking.

The fact that you think the signing will not make any difference indicates astoundment that it was done in the first place.

To be astounished indicates disbelief, indifference, and begs the question of why do it, if, it will not make any difference.

And the fact that Dee Brown did provide a spark on floor last year when he did play is not undone because we had a clueless coach that did not realize it.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

...what I am talking about.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Dee Brown did provide a spark on floor last year when he did play ---

BUT he couldn't shoot the ball.

Earl is a threat if left alone.
He's smart and can drive & dish or shoot the 3 but needs help in the post.
I don't hate the signing but It's notgonna make a big difference. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: VBFan | November 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse