Morning brew

Plenty to digest from an emotional Tuesday for the Wizards franchise. For complete coverage of the passing of owner Abe Pollin, go to this splash page. We won't link to every single story here. It's all on the splash page. Take our word for it.

From Steinberg's Bog: Agent Zero's reaction to the death of Pollin, and Daniel Snyder's reaction.

As for the game itself, the Wizards held on to beat the Sixers 108-107. Michael Lee has plenty more to say on the game in his postgame thoughts.

Mike Jones was also on hand for the Washington Times, while his colleague, Tom Knott, remembers Mr. Pollin.

NBA.com's David Aldridge (a D.C. native and former Postie) pays thoughtful tribute to Mr. Pollin, with plenty of video links available, including the moment of silence held before the game and highlights from the 1978 championship season.

As usual, highlights from NBA.com:

Around the League...

A six-game slate on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Fourteen losses and counting for the Nets. Durant and the Thunder win in Utah. Kobe carried the Lakers past the Knicks.

Here's NBA.com's Daily Zap:

By Ed Guzman  |  November 25, 2009; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew  | Tags: Abe Pollin; Washington Wizards; NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 108, 76ers 107
Next: Morning brew, Thanksgiving edition

Comments

Gobble gobble

Posted by: closg | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If Javale looks lost out there I wish everyone else on the team would get lost!
Seriously though, he IS still learning his assignments but I have always thought this "confused" thing to be an exageration. Considering the blocked /altered shots, effort and energy, does it screw us up THAT BAD if he is out there?

Posted by: millineumman | November 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

6 frickin blocks in 14mins! get after it young fella!

Posted by: divi3 | November 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

millineumman,

No. McGee makes his share of mistakes just like everybody else. If he's constantly making the same mistakes that's a different story altogether. I haven't heard him mentioned as a lazy guy or anything like that so put him in and let him learn. Last night his positive plays outweighed the negative by far. When it goes the other way, he sits more. He's the best shot-blocker on the team and if our defense gets any more porous he'll erase a lot of shots. Or pick up a lot of fouls. lol.

Posted by: tgif11 | November 25, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

tgif11;

agreed,
by the way, great name!

Posted by: millineumman | November 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I told one of the poster here, back in Sept, that i would apologize and say I was wrong if Mcgee wasn't taking up Haywoods minutes by the end of the year.

Well, haywood came out strong and Javale was benchridden, so I was preparing my concession speech.

Lo and behold, javale out played Haywoon one night and now I am thinking I can spwend time on something else.

Go get it Javale. Make us all proud.

Posted by: Blurred | November 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Great win last night.
Haywood's ego may be what we're talking about in the coming weeks if McGee continues to take baby steps toward being a more consistent performer. If McGee's minutes get into the 15-20 minute range and Haywood's minutes somehow drop below his holy grail of 30 minutes (and the team is winning), it'll be interesting to see how Brendan reacts since his numbers will undoubtedly drop. Yes I'm fully aware of the fact that McGee hasn't shown he's up to the task. Yet.
Did Flip put that hypnotist on Nick Young again or what?? The kid played his most complete game as a Wizard and actually looked like a living, breathing (and most importantly, THINKING) basketball player.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

like learning how to type...sorry about all the mistakes.

Posted by: Blurred | November 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Nick Young was great last night. Here's hoping that he keeps performing at that level, so that Flip has to find minutes for him. Same thing for Javale.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | November 25, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see the whole game, but McGee does seem to be getting better at the fundamentals. I'm pretty sure, however, that a big center can shove him right off the blocks (maybe not Dalembert, but somebody like Greg Oden or Marc Gasol). Maybe if Saunders uses McGee judiciously, in spots, he can be a real addition to the club.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 25, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Looked to me like Nick did what Saunders has been wanting him to do: come off screens and shoot. Rip Hamilton made a career of it, and so could young Young.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 25, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see ABE POLLIN's passing. He was a genuinely good guy. Rest in peace. That said, here's hoping we get new ownership closer to TED LEONSIS than DAN SNYDER. I hope IRENE doesn't decide to pick up ABE's crusade with the WIZARDS and carry on.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

An eight-man rotation for this team is not a good strategy because it is so injury prone.

Flip should manage to his players, not to his system. He should play 10-11 Wizzes.

And Arenas is not a good ball-handler when he is the only ball-handler on the floor.

There are defensive liabilities (Arenas, Jamison, Boykins and potentially Young and McGee) so Flip needs to manage to it.

There are offensive liabilities (DS, DM, BH, FO) so there needs to be three shooters on the floor at all times.

If Flip pays attention to his players' capabilities and limitations, he'll have more wins by the end of the season.

Posted by: Izman | November 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed most of the game last nite---all but the last 10 minutes.

Javale needs to play about 3 or 4 minutes a quarter. He can't play at that energy level much longer and be effective.

Earl gets the Wizzies in a much faster tempo than anyone else. He runs the ball upcourt and gets the players easy shots.

Which Nick will show up in Miami?

Remember Dom?

Blatche needs to keep his focus and not regress to what he was last year.

Gilbert still ain't Gilbert.

We'll need everyone at the top of their game in Miami.
I expect Flip will get DS on Wade early in hopes of slowing him down in the 4th Q.

We already got one in a row. Two in a row could be the start of a nice long streak.

Posted by: VBFan | November 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Which Nick will show up in Miami?

how long wil flip wait to see?
after he misses a jumper or 3 is flip gonna pull him? we will always wonder which NY will show up because we only see him whe the coaches allow him to make select appearances. maybe if he had a role on the team and a consistent place in the offense we'd be able to see the same NY all the time, or at least he would learn how to play the game. all he knows is I score a lot they keep me in, i miss a few (indiana game) i'll be benched for a month. i'm not sayin Ny doesn't need to be consistent, but there a other players on this team that are allowed to play through their mistakes. NY has to earn his time, but the coaches could get rid of that deer in the headlights look by giving him some game time. he tends to look clueless at times, i think this is because he hasn't had to deal with certain situations in a game vs at practice (like when the play breaks down and everyone is looking at him).

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Which Nick will show up in Miami?

how long wil flip wait to see?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

sorry bout the repost, blame my janky gubment computer. any gubment types on here,getting off at 2 while my branch is makin me and my coworkers stay til 5?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Young just needs to stay in front of D Wade and not go for the pump fakes or reach. He can't stop Wade but at 6'6", he can at least contest his shots if he doesn't go for the fakes. McGuire plays touch D but he is slow to recover on the pick and rolls. He's a good on the ball defender but as soon as they pick, he is slow to get back to his man. I agree that Gilbert is not a good ball handler and still makes quirkey decisions. Why try to split a double team at the end of a game? That's always a risky play. I hope his shot comes around it would make a big difference. I thought Blatche played well last night, including defensively. After watching him get torched by Villanueva a few weeks ago, it was good to see him block an outside shot. Wiz have won 2 of their 4 games without Caron on the floor. These guys can't revert back to how they alwasy felt comfortable playign becasue that type fo play got them no where. Comeon guys, time to listen to someone whose been out of the first round multiple times. I did think they shared the ball better last night.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 25, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

McGuire needs to play during those stretches when guys decide not to close out on shooters he's a big enuff guy and good enuff defender that he could replace guys at the 2-4 defensively. guys start being late on rotations or lazy on the close outs bench'em on right then put in DMac and let them watch him take their mins. i bet that's what got NY killin in practice, he had to be sick of people tellin him DS was better than him. I mean street clothes against the spurs? pure embarassment. flip sent a message i hope the kid is getting it.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

As mentioned by others after the first and second Miami tilts, Dom might be a good defensive matchup for Beasley if he starts getting off. I'm afraid Beasley might be a little too quick for Jamison and Blatche and too big for Butler (if he's back).
I just don't want to see Flip coach scared and limit himself to AJ and AB.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

folks should start to evaluate flip and the job he's doing. eventhough he's got an injury depleted roster, he still hasn't showed the "stuff" that 50 win seasons are made of. i don't see high powered offense and creative, imaginative playcalling. i see a guy who thought he could get 50 wins out of a team that was percieved as talented and realizes he's got a mash unit and may actually have to do some real coaching. BTW where's this defense folks were talkin bout?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Great point, lil.

If Nick can get it in his head to bear down even more on defense when his shot isn't falling I'd bet Flip would take notice of it. I was very pleasantly surprised by Nick's attempt to play an all-around game last night and if he continues on that path the Wiz might just have a guy who can help the team this year.

Posted by: tgif11 | November 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

if it's defense that will keep him in the game then he needs to watch more tapes of guys like bruce bowen, ron artest, and his idol Kobe playing D. it'd be great if he worked his way into becoming a stopper on D. last night was a good start. prior to the game folks talked about trading CB for Iggy. the consensus felt that Iggys youth, athleticism and ability to finish at the basket put him head and sholuders above CB in terms of trade value. well NY held Iggy to 2 of 10 with one fg coming from a layup in transition with elton blocking NY and AJ like a pulling guard. If he can put the straps on a talent like iggy i think he can develop into a decent defender if he applies himself.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

how about flip's comments about NY having to stop his little shoulder brushing after every bucket? being perceived as cocky while having achieved jacksquat keeps him on the bench as much as anything.

last night was the first time NY seemed to care on the defensive end, and that's what will keep him in games.

agree 110%, put Dom in the moment we start getting torched ESPECIALLY like last night with a lead. He will play well enough to earn more minutes.

if flip is a good coach, young players like Dom, Foye, Javale, and NY will develop enough so that we never see Oberto or DS. Consistent heavy minutes from those two is sign of the coaches failing.

Flip has got to get Javale to where he is taking the lion's share of backup 5 minutes, and then AB carries all the PF reserve minutes, and Oberto gets garbage time.

Same with DS relative to Dom, NY, and Foye

Posted by: divi3 | November 25, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

div3,
like i said in the last thread, flip has nothing to say about DS " i can't feel my face", or the "hibachi hands" or BTH holding his hand in the air after a tip in to signal the scorers table that it was his tip. if he's trying to get more outta NY i get it but it sounded petty. Of all the NY haters, or people who genreally just don't like his game, how many times has anyone seen this lil brush your shoulder move? all the times folks have talked about his smile, his demeanor, body lingo, not once have i heard any mention of the brush your shoulders. If he's been doing it forever, i never noticed it. I did notice AJ not getting back on D b/c he was busy arguing with the refs last night. that might be something to talk about, being that it can effect winning or losing a game. the shoulder brush coming during a complete game 20 pt outburst following 5 str8 DNP-CDs seems like a trivial gripe.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think NY just started the "brush off" thing. I never noticed it before. Once every 8 or 10 buckets is OK but not after every score.

Maybe dodn't notice it cause he ain't been scoring that much before.

Flip gotta let him play thru a slump or two as long as he plays decent "D".

I hate when "any" player fails to get back cause he's arguing the last non call. Not AJ's first time doing this. A good coach should correct "this".

Posted by: VBFan | November 25, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I like it when our stars argue no calls and uneven officiating. May not make a difference, but I've seen a lot of "make-up" calls come a play or two afterward. Also saw Arenas get a call after the fact when he missed the shot, came down glared at the ref and THEN the ref blew the whistle.

Dom needs to run back...NY needs to run back, DS needs to run back, but Arenas, Butler and Jamison need to run back AND let the refs know they blew it.

Posted by: Blurred | November 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

i would venture to say AJ argues after every shot. as a captain and team leader he defintely has to step up for the team and be vocal, especially in cases of terribly uneven officiating (2nd Q @Cleve). however as a captain and a player known for being a defensive liability it'd be a good look to try to get back and stop somebody too. When young guys and role players see Superstars hustle and fight and leave it on the floor (both ends not just the offensive end) they feel compelled to do the same if they want to get on the court. lead by example on both ends of the court.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Nick gets a bad rap as a poor defensive player. His on the ball defense is actually good. He doesn't get beat off the dribble that much and he can often recover and contest the shot without fouling.

He moves his feet fairly well, doesn't reach much and occasionally blocks a shot or two.

Running through screens and switching on pick and rolls is where he struggles but then again so does every other player on this team.

I think NY will make DWade work twice as hard as DeBrick did the last two meetings. Checking Black Beard is a day at the beach compared to Trojan Man.

Posted by: elfreako | November 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I thought Flip almost made us lose again by sitting NY so long in the 4th. Earl started off well but both him & Foye made like 4 bad plays in a row each and he still left NY sitting. I said by time he brings NY back, he will now be cold from sitting too long. Anyways, his O was great. He's still probably my favorite player to watch besides maybe Gil. I just love Nick's moves and the way he shoots that J.

However, by far the best thing from NY was his D. Did you guys see that? I thought he was our best defender tonight. He was all up in Iggy's face. He was on him on every shot, never fell for the pump fake, and both used his size & speed well. If he keeps that up then he will be a beast, espically right now because I think Gil is going to go into more of a setup mode until he finds his way in the system

Posted by: dlts20 | November 25, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought when the season started that our lineup would be the basic 4 with NY at the SG and then we come off the bench with Foye & Miller in the backcourt and Blatche up front to go along with either Oberto or McGee on a game by game basis and I still feel thats our best lineup. I love Boykins and the good thing about him is that I think he's the one guy along with probably Miller who you can throw in at any time and he will play well. Like I think a guy like NY & Foye needs minutes every game to play well but you can always throw Earl in for just 5min and he will be fine. However, I still think Foye is the better player and I think our team would be better all around with the lineup I talked about.

I like that lineup because as I said at the start of the year, I dont like the thought of maybe having a true vets on the starting group and a ton of young guys on the bench. I would like to put the young guy in NY in the starting group and have Miller on the bench because this guy has won a 6th man of the year award and you can tell that he's one guy that you can count on every game even off the bench. It makes us that much more deadly. Then I love him off the bench with Foye because he can help Foye with his handles & playmaking. To me, the 5 man rotation at the 1, 2, and 3 spots should be Gil, NY, CB, Foye, and MM. 5 guys for those 3 spots. There should be a main 3 man rotation up front with AJ, Wood, and Blatche. Then you can throw in Oberto or McGee whenever you like. Thats the potent lineup for both units.

Again, I just dont think we can be fully great if Flip is going to try to play Gil, NY, CB, MM, Foye, Boykins, and DS. Its too many guys. Only 5 out that group should play every game. DS has to sit in that group and as good as Earl is, he also has to sit. Him & DS can be used for special purposes only

Posted by: dlts20 | November 25, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

good stuff elfreako last sentence was gold. even i will say that i need to see NY do this type of thing consistently before i say what he is and isn't on d definitively. but you are 100% right he did all of those things well last night and one would think he's capable of doing it again. the issue with wade isn't him beating NY on the bounce but in the post. i think he had his way with NY in the post last time they played here (or there i could be mistaken), it was like MCGee checking Shaq, sure the kid has the height but he can't hold his ground. NY can keep most guys in front of him, the question against MIA is whether he'll be able to handle wade's post game.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

good stuff dlts20 only one complaint. there is no such thing as a 5 man rotation in basketball being that all five of the rotating players would actually be playing i think they call the 5 you speak of as a starting 5 or a lineup. but i kid i kid

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

oops let me bomb myself out for not fully reading your post dlts20.i jumped the gun.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 25, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

AI was atrocious and Gilby had 6 TO's to go with his 8 assists. Gilby with the only minus in the starting lineup.

Sixers should have had Jrue Holiday take the last shot.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

When Ted Leonsis bought the Caps and a % of Verizon/Wizards, he also got right of first refusal to purchase the Wiz and Verizon Center when Abe passed it on.

Leonsis says he fully intends to follow through with the agreement and will be the new Wizards owner as soon as the formalities are taken care of.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Leonsis:

Please hire a new medical staff.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 25, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"If he's been doing it forever, i never noticed it. I did notice AJ not getting back on D b/c he was busy arguing with the refs last night. that might be something to talk about, being that it can effect winning or losing a game."

I was happy to see AJ argue that call, and he did to the point he almost got T'd up. GOOD. He was clearly fouled and he should get that call EVERYTIME.

The shoulder brushing stuff is lame considering NY has never hit a big shot for us, played well for more than 2 games, accomplished anything whatsoever as a pro, etc etc

BUT, i dont really care if he does it or not.

Flip does though, so NY should play it smart and cut it out (for now) rather than start pissing off the coach who is finally letting him out of the doghouse.

Posted by: divi3 | November 25, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"lead by example on both ends of the court."

If every player on the team brought it the way Jamison does every night, we'd have no problems. He may not be a good defender, but the effort level is always there which is more than you can say for Gil, NY, AB

Posted by: divi3 | November 25, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I do not agree With the 8 men rotation it is not a good fit to wiz.A minimum of 10 players need to play daily.Every body need to be told why he is going to be inserted.Every body has to do what he can do better, JM block, NY run and gun?,Oberto to fight for position against big PF,The little man to spark the team and some times to close game in 4th quarter.Defense is a kind of new to wiz, multiple pull out will help every body to get energy for an effective defense.
Washington does not need to think about a special formula against wade, he will get his 40 points, they just need to stop others and do not allow him to go close to the rim the way he want.If they shoot 47% and protect the 3 pint shooting, they can easily win in miami.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 25, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Iverson retired

Posted by: ptp23 | November 25, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | November 25, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I like it. What we need is 100% from "everyone" every minute they play. No taking off a play. If Flip sees someone dogging it -----take him out ASAP (no matter who it is). Eventually they'll get the message. Playing like this also wears on the opposition and pays off late in games.

Playing reduced minutes should keep everyone healthier. Injuries happen when your exhausted and trying to do something that your body is just too tired to do.

Posted by: VBFan | November 25, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | November 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree

Posted by: ptp23 | November 25, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with Javale that playing time wouldn't solve, what worries me? is the kid getting proper coaching i say it time and again i'm not impressed with Flip's assistant's but that's just me,I'm wondering if CB is on the trading block secretly that is,Butler misses EJ i think Thaddeus Young for CB might be a possibilty if the Sixers throw in a draft pick or maybe Carney or a Willie Green.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 25, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Gil Looked Slow Again Last Night!

Didnt watch the full game live, only bits & pieces. So when I rewatched it today I saw that Gil I saw for about half or more than half of the games this year. In alot of these games he just looks like a shell of himself physicaly. I thought he was the slowest guard on the court last night for both teams. Everything physicaly looks like a struggle and thats when he gets stripped sometimes because he's physicaly inferior to this opponent. The only thing that saves him during those games is that he has great ball handling moves and knows how to position his body. Still, some games he looks like such a shell of himself. Thats why I dont understand how people can rip him or try to compare him to guys like Wade when right now you cant even compare him to Gil. He use to be like the quickest guard in the league and sometimes now that still shows up but there are alot of games where he has nothing. We have no chance if he's not the old Gil. I dont care if he masters the system, plays differently or what, he still has to physicaly be the old Gil just to dominate a game.

Right now most of the time he's a glorified role player or a guy who looks great if he was an average player. Like if he was Westbrook or one of these guys then he would be ok by putting up 17 & 8 but if you watched that Philly game, he looked alwful with his movements. Thats why some of his shots are bad because they seem like a guy who cant even go pass a backup and then shoots a J from ground level that has no shot. He runs full speed at time to finish at the rim and barely gets an inch off the ground before shooting up something that is a prayer. Man I hope that burst gets back. You add his lack of burst to the fact that he's struggling with the system and it spells disater.

I still hold out hope that it will click one of these games but right now Gil is actually a dependant player. He wasnt that way at 1st but now he needs guys around him to play well because he cannot take over a game or even come close to it. Again though, there are some games where he clearly does have a pep to his step. Not like the old Gil but still pretty good. I wish we could have that guy for all 82 games and not just 40 or whatever. Sometimes he's had the pep and played bad but I can live with that because I know it will get better when we find the chemistry. However, I cant live with him looking like an old man with bad knees on the court for a ton of games. Thats my biggest problem right now and that guy again showed up against Philly

Posted by: dlts20 | November 25, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

p1funk:

Thanx for the head's up on ownership. If TL does for the WIZARDS what he has done for the CAPS I'm a happy man, although I can't wait ten years for the metamorphosis into a butterfly from the worm of a team we now have.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 25, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

dlts20,

I hear you and see the same thing. But, let's not forget that for 1 game there against the Mavs, he basically looked like the old Gil and has shown flashes since. So "it" is still there physically.

imho, he hooked up with Grover too late in the year to be all the way back every night. The whole story about how weak his leg was and then how it improved so dramatically with Grover in a short time...that's all well and good, but if you are that crip in July you can only be so good by Sept

Posted by: divi3 | November 26, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse