Morning brew

We had a double dose of Michael on hand for Wednesday night's 93-89 loss to the Miami Heat. Lee not only wrote the game story, but he also gave us the big picture in his postgame blog post. Meantime, Wilbon writes about Dwyane Wade, who dropped 40, while also taking inventory of the Wizards' situation.

The D.C. Sports Bog writes about the latest Wizards injury, this one to Mike Miller. Imagine that. It had been days since the last one.

Here's how the Washington Times saw it, and here's the game story from The Miami Herald. The Herald also took note of Michael Beasley's homecoming, which he handled much differently than last season.

NBA.com's highlights package:

By Ed Guzman  |  November 5, 2009; 7:57 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heat 93, Wizards 89
Next: Mike Miller's return causes more pain

Comments

Guess who led the Timberwolves in points and rebounds last night in a near upset of the Celtics.

That's right... OLEKSIY PECHEROV !!

He scored 24 and had 8 rebounds. He also outplayed Kevin Garnett (12p,11r).

Pech was 9-14 from the field. He's getting minutes and he's proving people wrong. As perhaps the ONLY Pech supporter here over the years, I'm glad to see he's doing well.

Good thing we don't need a big man. Yep, we're all set in the middle. And to think we played DSong at C last year rather than give Pech a chance. What a frickin joke the last coach was. It sure wouldve been nice to let Pech stay long enough to let Flip take a look at him but I guess someone had to go in the trade.

Posted by: original_mark | November 5, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

It is still better to have Foye and Miller than Pech.

Let's see how Pech plays over a season, and if his play and numbers are still good, the we will all stand corrected.

Posted by: cannontl | November 5, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Actually, you may have point about perhaps not giving Pech enough of a look in games to evaluate him better.

Posted by: cannontl | November 5, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Foye + Miller > Pech

That's for sure but I think Pech was probably a throw in and someone else (MJ or Song maybe) would've sufficed.

As as starter (granted, he's only started 3 games for them) Pech is averaging 24 mpg, shooting .594 and giving them 15 points and 6 rebounds. Not bad for 24 mpg.

PECH IS FREE !!!

Posted by: original_mark | November 5, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Tapscott reminded me of Barney Fife from the old Andy Griffith show...fully prepared for any contingency with his one bullet.

Possibly the least qualified and most obstinate person ever allowed to coach in the NBA. Former head of player development whose seemingly sole focus was to insure no player had any opportunity to develop. Some folks can receive all of the education imaginable and still remain hopelessly stupid.

Happy for Pech to be given a legitimate opportunity.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 5, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"AT BEST. I've never heard of a SG shoting avg. in single digits and Stopper of what. Wade had 40..."

Well, DS didn't stop Wade, but he did slow him down. Before DS came in, Wade has scored 11 points in 7 minutes. Miller and Foye picked up 3 fouls together in that span as his primary defender.

Wade played 42.5 minutes total; at 11 points per 7 minutes rate, he would have scored 66 points (and forced 18 fouls on his defenders)!

As Saunders said, the game was lost mainly in the beginning.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 5, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"That's for sure but I think Pech was probably a throw in and someone else (MJ or Song maybe) would've suff"

If I recall correctly, the trade Grunfeld proposed was Thomas, Pecherov, and Stevenson for Miller and Foye, and the Wolves insisted on Songaila instead.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 5, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

We are missing true point guard play. JCrit may be the answer to the flow for this Team. GA and Foye can play point, but the Team dosen't really flow.

We need Gilbert's playmaking and his scoring.

But I think he needs to do it from the two position and not the one.

I could be a dumb butt, but JCrit I think is the answer.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 4, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

Here are Gil #'s

Dall 10-21 8-9 9 ast 3 to = W
Atl 9-22 2-4 4 ast 7 to = L
NJ 9-13 11-12 7 ast 3 to = w
Clev 7-18 7-11 5 ast 3 to = L
Miami 9-27 12-15 3 ast 3 to = L

The team wins when Gil (Our PG)has some ast's right now is is average = 1.8 a game

I think Gil has always been an undersize 2 and not a 1. He tried to out score Wade last night but as a point gurad you need to get your team involved first.

Larry,

I don't know if Critt is the answer either but if he could guard the other teams 2, run the team and let Gil get his shots I think this would a better "TEAM".

Butler said, "I know my role, it's just obviously you just adapting to the new situation and having guys back and just got to stay aggressive and always be aware, stay aggressive, don't get caught watching (Gil shooting and going to the line)the show."

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 5, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Pech gets the chance he did not get here. Taps and Eddie for some inexplicable reason always plugged ETan and DSon.

If Pech continues to fair well, then some might have to chew a little crow villifying EG for signing him.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Possibly the least qualified and most obstinate person ever allowed to coach in the NBA."

I think you may be giving Tapscott too much credit. He was selected to do exactly what he did. And that is what Ernie Grunfeld wanted him to do.

Least qualified and most obstinate? There's a lot of competition for that honor.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 5, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think a main part of the problem right now is the team is still getting adjusted to a new coach and a new system (and also new players). This is echoed in Lee's previous post.

Gil and Caron (and others) have played the last 4 or 5 years in the Princeton. I think it will take a while for things to flow consistently on offense.

Actually, it surprises me they played as well as they did in the first game against Dallas. Since then they have been up and down and lately more down.

Posted by: cannontl | November 5, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It's past time to stop the DSteve is our defensive stopper talk. LeBron, DWade and Kobe will ROAST him in crunch time. Hell that fool would have his hands full with Nate Robinson.

I believe at this embryonic stage of the season the best defense is a good offense. Try to make the stars work hard guarding Foye or maybe even NY on the other end. This would make a guy like Wade that much more fatigued.

Anyone checking Stevenson is getting rest on defense. Why would anyone even chase him around a screen?

He can't hit open 3's, finish above the rim or make clutch free throws. Other than that he's a baller.

Posted by: elfreako | November 5, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Last season the Wizzies were going nowhere on the way to a 19 win season and AJ & CB were playing 38 min/game. And the "player Development" guy was allotting minutes.
OP, JM, JC, & NY didn't get developed.

Am I a genius for realizing this???

Posted by: VBFan | November 5, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Samson151,
Agreed, it would be very competitive. Our own Wes Unseld would certainly be in the running as a head coach.

Tapscott was special though...I remember before one game he was asked about our game plan and, paraphrasing here, he said, "AJ to the right, AJ to the left, AJ up the middle." Now how does your opponent prepare for such complexities? Just a staggering intellect, I know he was thrown into a no-win situation but I would have liked for the organization to have at least pretended they were looking for an answer.

This reflection does actually help buffer the last two losses for me though.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 5, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Was at the game last night with some firsthand observations:

*DeSauce Stevenson needs to get useful for this team quickly. He clanked a couple 3s, choked on his free throws w/44 secs left, and did NOT D-up Wade last night.

*If we are relying on randy Foye and Stevenson to provide legit perimeter defense this year, we are in serious trouble.

*The only thing Quentin Richardson ever does in the NBA is shoot 3s. Can't understand why he was left open at the arc all night...

*Mike Miller gets serious props for playing w/one arm and making some real nice plays.

*Beasley was destroying Oberto off his dribble. Oberto is gonna be a liability against athletic forwards, and he's not stout enough to bang with real big-men. Not sure what we expect him to bring to the table.

*Flip is wrong for saying this game was lost in the first quarter. The Heat were on the ropes in the last minute, and the Wiz muffed the game by failing to D-up Wade and failing to execute on their possessions.

Posted by: p1funk | November 5, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

What does Oberto bring: setting block, passing out of the paint and hitting mid-range jumpers. I don't think anyone would expect him to matchup well against athletic forwards. I doubt he can defend AB.

And yeah I agree the last 2 coaches (Taps and Jordan) didn't do anything resembling player development. As much as the Wizards want to win now, there are a lot of young players on the squad.

Posted by: tundey | November 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | November 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

So Oberto is just another soft power forward to go with our present collection of softies.

Gotcha.

Posted by: p1funk | November 5, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

JCrit has to be answer, for I believe you have to go with you got.

Gilbert is a floor general only in the sense of scoring. That whats makes him good. Assists is not his forte, though he can clearly contribute assists, but only as a part of his attack mode.

That is why his assist totals are not consistant.

A true point like Crittenton will allow Gilbert to concentrate on what he does best and he will keep the Team in flow as well as bringing the assist total up for everyone.

Now I am not foolish enough to think that JCrit just steps right in at the one and Gill moves over to the two, but good Teams and coaches find ways to maximize their talents and Team effectiveness.

Ty Lawson is getting some PT in Denver because he brings something special to the table.

This Wizard Team needs that special intangible that comes from good point play and Javaris Crittendon is as I see it that guy.

Gilbert needs to be free to run this Team in the mode like DWade, Kobe, the way MJ did and not worry about the mundane responsibilities of a point guard.

Majic, Oscar, Big Shot, Isaiah Thomas, Mark Jackson, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, John Stockton, are all points.

MJ, Kobe, DWade, Earl The Pearl Monroe, Vince Carter, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen are shooting guards.

Gilbert Arenas right now is rated as one of the top NBA shooting guards. He is also listed as a PG because he is playing point.

However, the point is, GA is a shooting guard that can also handle the ball well. To make him hande the point duties compromises his true attributes and diminishes the point play of the Team.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, sitting Gilbert so long in the 4th Q' was twofold IMO.

Managing his minutes is the obvious one, but I also felt that Flip wanted Gilbert to go back in when attacking the basket and scoring was more important than point guard management.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I think with Miller out we are somewhat forced to start Foye and experiment with him at the 1 and Arenas at the 2.

I think it is also reasonable to note that both teams were on the 2nd of a back to back and fatigue was a factor in last night's game. I think when they meet again soon in Miami it'll be a very different pace.

Posted by: jon_quest | November 5, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

As Wade said, Gil is not what he is gonna be later on in the season. I agree that Gil needs to average about 22 and 6 or 7 assists per game. But there is also times when he will have to be Agent0. What you saw the last 2 nights was Gil trying to run things early, while balancing Agent0 and the assists while getting rid of the 2year rust. As Mark Jackson said during the game, Flip told Gil to basically take advantage of who was guarding him. That is being Agent0.

The hard part with Gil getting assists is that outside of Miller, how many players on the Wizards are catch and shooters? Caron is not. Is Foye? Jamison is but he isn't playing right now. Blatche? I think he is somewhat of a catch and shooter. Nick has been working on that but he ain't getting no time.

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 5, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Point guard play is very important for any Team to play well and certainly to win a championship.

It could be argued that Orlando by switching from 'Skip To My Lou' to Jameer Nelson hurt there chances of beating the Lakers.

At best Gilbert IMO is a caretaker PG.

There have been many posts that if Gilbert could facilitate his Teammates, avg around 10 apg, and score around 20 ppg, this would make this Team great.

I am hear to tell yawl', that ain't GA and it ain't going to happen.

Gilbert Arenas is a shooting guard and the quicker we get him back to Agent Zero, Hibatchi, The Assasin, the better off this Team will be.

Sure, we can beat Teams with Gil at the one, but we will not be the best Teams with him playing the point.

The best Point Guards have never won Championships without having other true great stars on the Team at other positions.

It is a farce to think that Gilbert can accomplish a feat that has never been done in the NBA.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Stevenson was in there because Flip felt Foye and NY could not handle Wade on defense. Wade had Foye for dinner posting him up numerous times and scoring with no effort. Yea, in hindsight McGuire should have got a look at the "2". His jumper could not be any worse then Stevenson.

Now, I am not a Stevenson fan, and I knew he was going to miss those two free throws. His whole shooting motion is so un "text book" like. He starts his shooting motion from below his hip and finishes the shot with a weird "corktop spin" type motion. He has a "sidespin" on his ball which is never good when you are shooting a jumper. His shot never looks good when it leaves his hand.

CB seems lost now that Gil is back. I kept forgeting he was in the game. However I knew when Gil, Mike Miller and Haywood were in the game and when they were not. CB has to step his game up. Where is Gil's "Robin"....?????

Lastly, glad to see my man Haywood getting his just due now. I think it was Org. Mark and I who were constantly calling for more playing time for him the last two years on this blog. I knew all Haywood and AB needed was a different coach who actually had "people skills".

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 5, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, you guys got your panties in an uproar. Relax. It's a long season and who gives a you know what about last season's coach.

Quentin R hit a couple of ridiculous 3's last night with guys all over him. What are you talking about?

Our defense in general is much improved regardless if you guys want to gripe about Oberto and DS. Isn't that what we've been saying for so long? If only our defense could improve to......

The rest is about adjusting to a new system to go along with the injury bug already. And, our early schedule has done us no favors. If we start losing to cupcakes then I might start to get worried. Atlanta and Cleveland on the road and Miami at home is tough for a team getting adjusted. Deep breathes!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 5, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Another thing this team is missing is a big guy who can dunk and block some shots!

Sorry, McGee isn't there yet.

The one time BH dunked he hung on the rim?

Wade backed Foye down all night because he knew Foye wouldn't get any help?

I think the team would be better with AB starting and bringing Blair (if they would have drafted him)off the bench instead of Oberto starting and AB coming off the bench.

AJ could have been the 6th man like GM suggested a long time ago.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 5, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

That's right... OLEKSIY PECHEROV !!

He scored 24 and had 8 rebounds. He also outplayed Kevin Garnett (12p,11r).

Posted by: original_mark | November 5, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

SO WHAT??????????
He plays in the NBA, he is bound to have a performance like this from time to time. That doesn't make him an all star!!!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11,

That is all good, but I do not think that it is realistic for Gilbert to do this without another point guard on the floor that can run the Team.

The attitude of a shutdown killer shooting guard that Gilbert developed into cannot be maintained by switching mindsets between the one and the two.

I think that without a true point guard, it is a failed proposition that we have put Gilbert into.

We can bank it on early season adjustment and say it will get better as time goes on, but I donot agree with that.

Gilbert Arenas is a shooting guard that needs a true point to run with him.

Read My Lips!!!

IT IS A FAILED PROPOSITION TO MAKE A POINT GUARD OUT OF GILBERT ARENAS AND ALSO EXPECT HIM TO BE AGENT ZERO I.E. THE STAR OF THE TEAM.

I ain't playin' wit' yawl'. As my father would say. Yawl' beddar' listen' up'.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, McGee isn't there yet.

The one time BH dunked he hung on the rim?

Wade backed Foye down all night because he knew Foye wouldn't get any help?

AJ could have been the 6th man like GM suggested a long time ago.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 5, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan78 - Haywood is leading the league in dunks per game....??? How is it the Wiz don't have a "dunking big man"...??? That stat has been stated the last two games. He and McGee also block and alter numerous shots.

As proof, in the Cleveland game; the Cav's only started driving to the rack when Haywood left in foul trouble. McGee does his fair share of altering shots also. I am not quite sure what you are talking about right there.

Also Haywood had 3 dunks last night, not 1. As for Foye how can he get help when the other four folks on his team have to stay with their men who are all standing on the perimeter. If they leave their man to come and "help Foye", they would be called for illegal defense. Foye needed to play better low block defense. That was on him, not the lack of a "helping "5" or "4".

Lastly, Oberto is in there instead of AB because Flip wants balanced scoring on both 1st and 2nd units. You can not have Oberto out there with McGee on the 2nd unit at the same time for long amounts of time.

Look what happened when AB and Haywood got in foul trouble in the Cav's game. Oberto and McGee were both out there together and the Wiz basically had "NO SCORING" in the block. I think Flip is doing a great job at calling games.

Now I am one of the biggest NY fans out here, but even I know he does not deserve any run right now. The youngsta needs to mature more. If you put McGuire's brain and mindset in NY's body, we would have an all star "2" guard without question.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 5, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

dom needs deshawn's minutes

Posted by: bford1kb | November 5, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

and richardson is as one-dimensional as anyone in the league, if you stand next to him he'll do nothing, but if you let him stand there open he will bang shots

Posted by: bford1kb | November 5, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

JCrit has to be answer, for I believe you have to go with you got.

That is why his assist totals are not consistant.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse
_________________________________________
If we are counting on Crit to bail us out, then we are in more trouble than I thought we were.
He will be a nice player down the line but he is still learning the game...

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The physical exertion of being one of the best scorers on the floor cannot be maintained by playing two positions simultaneously.

Anyone that does not see that Gilbert Arenas is being asked to play two roles on the floor right now have a whole lot of trees blocking your view.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

also the lack of a call on caron's dunk is inexcusable that's as obvious a call as there is in this league but guess who would've gotten the foul, it was #3 whoever that is, gil was also hammered by o'neal with no call, but it's the wiz's fault for playing so poorly that two no call's and deshawn's beautiful form from the line beat em

Posted by: bford1kb | November 5, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

With Miller out for a bit, Nick and Dom will get a few more minutes. They best make the most of them, if they want to see more PT down the road.

I generally am a defender od DS, but last night's shooting debacle has me a bit pissed at him.

He played a pretty good game generally, but damn, if you can't hit a shot, then don't take one. He made the right move by driving straight to the basket on that steal. Too bad he couldn't have sunk one of the two shots. I also have to say that no one from our team was exactly working hard to get the board on his miss, though.

I will miss Miller the next 2 weeks.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does all of the Wiz offensive sets include a jumper or dribble penetration. I mean, they ran zero post plays. Well Haywood did post a like two times but that's the equivalent of posting a one year old against Shaq. Brendan is good on defense but a liability in the post unless he is dunking on a put-back or off of dribble penetration.

Posted by: KingAsphodel | November 5, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Larry,
Gil is trying to do it all. No way any team can be successful doing that.
I'm surprised Flip is allowing this.

Posted by: VBFan | November 5, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 5, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

original_mark:

Apparently the Timberwolves don't share your enthusiasm regarding Pecherov's upside. As recently as this Monday, they declined to extend his rookie contract to pay him $2.3 MM for 2010-11. That makes him a free-agent at the end of this season. Of course, the T-Wolves decision was before last night's "breakout performance". But as I recall, even Kwame Brown while with the Wiz had several outings that surpassed what Pech achieved last night.

Posted by: phil27 | November 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"As for Foye how can he get help when the other four folks on his team have to stay with their men who are all standing on the perimeter."

Let me add to that, the last jump shot O'neal got (that pulled Miami to 89-89) was when his man left him to double team Wade. On play-by-play it reads: O'Neal Jump Shot: Made (4 PTS) Assist: Wade (5 AST) .

Posted by: sagaliba | November 5, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

He will be a nice player down the line but he is still learning the game...

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:15 PM |

Utilityman1,

JCrit will not be bailing us out. All he will be doing is allowing Arenas not to have to focus on running the Team and being it's number one scoring threat also.

By morphing Gilbert to a one, we are putting to much emphasis on point guard play, when basically all you need is someone to facilitate the flow of the game for you.

It becomes to burdensome for Gilbert especially since he is really a two and the STAR of the Team.

Rajon Rondo isn't really a great player, but he is good at controlling the point for the Celtics.

Controlling the point is all JCrit would have to do. Then everybody else is allowed to flourish at what they do best.

With JCrit controlling the one and Gilbert out there with him, the guard play won't be lacking to much of anything.

It would be extremely hard for most Teams to match up and Gilbert thereby becomes an extreme threat.

Right now Gilbert is not the threat he could be because he is responsible for point guard play.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 5, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhh...Kwame Brown.

Posted by: Blurred | November 5, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we are in trouble for the next couple of week. We won games when Blacthe was playing like an all-star (72% FG, r u kidding?). But when he does not play like an all-star (doesn't mean he play bad, just not on all-star level), we lost, as in the last two games.

Oberto is a non-scorer (whoever said he has a mid-range jump shot, he doesn't). Haywood can only score assisted or on putbacks. DS is not an offensive player, and Butler hasn't completely adjusted to the new system yet. We are already thin on scorers, now with Miller out, what are you going to do? Can NY suddenly morph into a dependable player and not this hot-and-cold, cannot-be-trusted player? Can DS find his shooting touch? If not, a long two weeks ahead.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 5, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse
_____

Relax ding dong. I was making the point that our overall schedule has been extremely tough thus far. And, yes, right now with Jamison out, Miller out, and growing pains they are better than us. They are also a playoff team.

There have been many bright spots and many not so bright spots. But, it's early too early to freak out about much of anything.

Let me ask you this: Do you think we will be able to score with the best of them especially when AJ gets back? Answer: Yes.
Have you not seen a lot of good signs as far as improved defensive play and concepts? Answer: Should be Yes.

You build a contender. You don't think like it one and then it happens.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 5, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | November 5, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Could not agree more Sagaliba. Just to think I was reading on this blog after the first game people were saying Jamison Who? Just like Haywood, sometimes it is best to not play for awhile to have people see you are more vaulable then people give you credit for.

Once AJ and Miller are back and everyone is healthy, we should be the 4th or 5th best team in the east behind Boston, Cleveland, Atl, and Orlando......

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 5, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

With Foye and Gil in the game Wade did whatever he wanted, can you imagine what Kobe will do to these two guys? But the consensus on here is the Wizards can win with Foye and Gil in the backcourt together.

Posted by: bulletsfan78

When have the Wizards over the past 5 seasons every stopped Wade? Hasn't happened yet and probably will never happen. If we can get a clone Gary Payton from 1996 then maybe we could. Remember in the 2005 playoffs 2nd round when D Wade was averaging 31 points, 7 rebounds, and 8 assists per game against us? Yeah I was at those games watching a great player sweep us 4-0.

The Wiz will be fine, but we still can't stop Lebron, Kobe, D Wade, Melo or Howard. We have to beat the Celtics, Magic or Cavs on the road during the regular season, if we want to be a serious contender this year.

And to the person who didn't include Wade as your top talent in the NBA, what NBA have you been watching during the last 5 years? Wade, Kobe and Lebron are the top 3 players/certified Hall of Famers. Dwight Howard, Chris Paul & Melo are a notch below them right now, but not by much. Next game at the Pacers tomorrow. Go Wiz!

Posted by: wizfan81 | November 5, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

In 5 games so far, Blatche's performance seems to be indicative of the team's success more than anyone else. Here is his stats in 5 games with team's win/loss denoted at the end:

Game 1: Blatche 20 pts, W
Game 2: Blatche 13 pts, L
Game 3: Blatche 30 pts, W
Game 4: Blatche 7 pts, L
Game 5: Blatche 10 pts, L

Looks like we need Blatche to score around 20 pts or more in order to win. Before Jamison is back, someone needs to pick up the scoring load when Blatche doesn't have a great game.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The same comment can be made about Foye.

Game 1: Foye 19 pts, W
Game 2: Foye 9 pts, L
Game 3: Foye 17 pts, W
Game 4: Foye 7 pts, L
Game 5: Foye 6 pts, L

Total those..

Game 1: 39 pts, W
Game 2: 22 pts, L
Game 3: 47 pts, W
Game 4: 14 pts, L
Game 5: 16 pts, L

As I said after game one.. if those 2 can collect 30 points between the two of them the 50 win scenario is very realistic.

So far, it seems like it's not going to happen. Once Jamison is back and Arenas has shaken off the rust, I think they Foye/Blatche stat will be less important, but until then, those 2 really define our ability to win. They need to account for a lot of our scoring.

Posted by: jon_quest | November 5, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Responding To: No Miami at home isn't considered a tough schedule!!!!! It's not even a top 12 team in the league! I thought we were supposed to contend and beating a mediocre Miami team at home should have been easy if we were as good as advertised. Your tolerance for mediocrity is a joke. This is not the attitude that San Antonio, Boston, Lakers fans have. If you tolerate mediocrity, all you are going to get is mediocrity. If you consider Miami tough, then don' be surprised when we are behind them in the standings (and they won't be higher than 6th in the East) and we quickly lose in the 1st round!!!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 5, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse
_____

First, how exactly is our tolerance (or lack thereof) going to affect the team? You've got to be joking by getting all upset about what the fans are tolerating here and what they're doing in Boston and San Antonio. Do you really think Duncan is saying "I better play even harder because the fans won't tolerate it otherwise."

Second, Miami is for sure a tough game. A playoff team with a top 3 NBA player and the #2 pick in last year's draft. It's just silly to assume otherwise. Anytime Wade is on the court (as with LeBron and Kobe), it's a tough game.

Posted by: Urnesto | November 5, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Flip talked about pace and that means point guard management to get the Team in the proper flow (Kalo_rama, in case you don't know)."

And what basketball dictionary did you get that out of.

Your TV must be picking up signals that mine doesn't, because in the broadcast I saw, Flip was shown exhorting Gilbert to "give us some pace" and immediately followed that by saying "go by him, take him." "He was also picked up in the huddle calling the game "ugly" and saying they had to "grind it out."

I'll take the obvious meaning of Flip's actual words over your cockeyed misrepresentation of them any day.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

In case you don't know.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

excuses are like comments...listen guys in this city we except the "excuses" that we hear from the players, coaches and reps of these area sports teams...i'm sick of it...every year you hear how extremely optimistic these franchises are about how they have put together a "contender" and how much excitement there is throughout the organization and the city/area...and then bam!! REALITY!! and here comes the barrage of excuses...it happens almost every year...i personally believe that the players for these average (WIZ) to below average (SKINS) teams are not on the level that mentally tougher teams are...it seems like if you punch washington area teams in the mouth they will back up (then DOWN)...the one exception to this is the CAPS!! i like the way ted builds/runs this team...the CAPS will restore pride to the d.c. area...put an OVIE on the wiz/skins and watch it percolate baby!! the wizards are shaky right now...the season is young so of course there is still hope but they need to take a punch and then return some "combinations" and get tough! they have the pieces to do this if they are not afraid...or are they?

Posted by: ronniecope106 | November 6, 2009 3:54 AM | Report abuse