Morning brew

In this morning's newspaper, Michael Lee writes about how the Wizards' offense is not flowing. And here on the blog he asks if Mike Miller should have returned to Wednesday's game after hurting his shoulder.

Also, DC Sports Bog notes that the Wizards' television ratings are up this season.

In the Washington Times, Mike Fratto reports on Antawn Jamison's recovery from his shoulder injury.

Here is further analysis of Wednesday's game from Bullets Forever's Mike Prada and Truth About It.

Elsewhere in the league:

Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix examines the New York Knicks' "dangerous" plan to save salary cap space in hopes of luring LeBron James, who makes his first trip this season to Madison Square Garden tonight. James, a front-running Yankees fan, will surely get Knicks fans excited when he arrives in his "NY" cap.

Howard Beck of the New York Times asks the question: Does LeBron need New York or the Knicks?

Last night the Cleveland Cavaliers lost to the Chicago Bulls, 86-85, and some were surprised about the "no call" during James's final drive. You make the call (2:30).

In the other TNT game, the Jazz beat the Spurs, 113-99, about which Deron Williams Tweeted: "A lot more fun when we win! All it took was 48 min! Now I can stop being a craby patty as my daughters would say..."

Fran Blinebury of NBA.com talks to Hakeem Olajuwon about working out with Kobe Bryant and teaching him some low post moves.

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling just paid a $2.73 million settlement in a racial discrimination case involving his rental apartments in Southern California. Does anybody even care? Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel takes a look.

By Alexa Steele  |  November 6, 2009; 8:05 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Miller's return causes more pain
Next: Book review: 'When the Game Was Ours'

Comments

DeJuan Blair update:

7-10 from the field
14pts, 9 rebounds, 1 block in 21 minutes.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

re: Caron....

I've thought (and wrote) for a while that Caron is one dimensional offensively. His 'move' is an iso dribble in place, head fake, pull up for a jumper. When good defenders know what he is going to do, they can defend him. That's why he has a hard time getting it going in the playoffs. To stop CB, all you need to do is play up on him and make him drive. I'm not saying that doing it is easy but a solid defender can take him out of his game.
Gil is spot on about this. Rarely if ever do we see CB catch and shoot. He's a guy that needs to play with the ball for a few dribbles to feel comfortable shooting. Gil is forcing shots now because we're short on offense. In order to get the flow we're looking for, CB will have to start looking to shoot more and not just via his signature move.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

RE: Pech and AB....

I agree to a point that Ab's maturity has increased. Kal notes that a sign is that he hands the ball off rather than dribbling upcourt.
My contention is that if a player is coached properly, he does what he's told. The complaint I used to read about Pech is that he would stay outside and would not stay in the paint. I didnt believe it then and dont believe it now. If either of those guys had actually been coached, they'd both be years ahead of where they are now, IMO. If you tell a 22 year old guy that he needs to hand the ball off or stay in the paint, they'll do it. If you punish them rather than teach them, OTOH, then you get no progress.

Sure, they've both probably matured over the years. They're 23 years old and some level of immaturity is to be expected. But they could BOTH have been established Wiz assets had the team done right by them development-wise.

Fortunately we held onto AB and he's starting to flourish. It would have been nice to have kept both, though.

(or draft Blair) ;)

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Half of the time Caron doesn't take the shot from the 1st pass, the other half of the time, Gil comes down the floor and jacks it up ... no one else gets to touch the ball. I'm not sure its a good thing to have the ball in Gil's hands 90% of the time, right now, as he has a habit of jacking up shots. Just a thought ... cause I luv Gil and feel that he is just a month or so away from getting back to his old self.

Posted by: original2cents | November 6, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Did LeBron really think he should get that call? He put his shoulder down at a 45 degree angle in order to fly halfway across the lane and draw contact from Noah, an obvious no call. Also, did anyone see earlier in the game when Lebron got the "And1" call after taking at least 4 steps, c'mon refs!

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | November 6, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Crab dribble! He shuffled his feet before he began dribbling the ball, and then it looked like he may have taken more steps at the end. The call they missed was a turnover.

Posted by: satchmore | November 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if or how much Caron can change his game. He is not a catch-and-shoot player. After he got the ball, he always likes to turn and face the defender first. Antawn, OTOH, cam flourish in Saunders system, as the ball usually left his hand in nanoseconds after he caught it.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

satchmore,

LeBron last night got an "and 1" call on his crab dribble. The replay clearly showed that he walked after being foul, the basket should have never counted.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz actually have had something of a rough start in terms of injuries; everybody's attention is focused on Gilbert, however, so it sometimes goes unnoticed. The injuries haven't been the major disasters of previous years, thankfully, but they're enough to slow the team's development as a cohesive unit.

I did have a suggestion that's a holdover from last season. To the folks who believe themselves right about players like Pecherov and DeJuan Blair -- would you mind posting all your gloat posts on the subject tomorrow, instead of continuing through the entire season? Otherwise this will be a replay of the guy who kept posting Javale McGee's PER after every game.

Here's hoping none of those longshots gets hurt.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 6, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Any point in mentioning that even though we're been out of sync offensively, and have had injuries to key players, we're still in these ballgames?

Take a step back and a deep breath. Ignore that hysterical voice in your head. It's the second week of the season.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I am sure that Lebron could play a great game within the rules, but I can just imagine a game where he was called the same way Mike Miller is called.

He'd have 3 turnovers on his first 5 drives and 3 fouls in the first quarter.

It's almost enough to make me follow all my friends' lead and quit the NBA all together. basically I only watch Wiz games anymore anyway because the NBA is so rigged. And we wonder why we often have trouble in international tourneys even though our players are 100% better than any other national team? It's because the international game actually has rules and enforces them.

Then again, I'm 41, so my days of buying jerseys and shoes and posters are all but over. When they allowed the 3 pt shot, a lot of old guys hated it. If the 14 year old kids want to see LeBron drive from half court without a dribble, then I guess that is what we will see

Posted by: Blurred | November 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I have approx. 70+ more gloats in me. Make that 140 since they each deserve one per game.
Actually it's not really a gloat. I'm actually upset about it. I hated DSong at C last year while Pech sat on the bench. Even in a throwaway year, you should showcase your assets to try to bring in talent that suits your team. Pech was never gonna fit in here so it wldve been nice to pump him up so we could get value for him.

I'll try to limit my Blair and Pech updates to once per week. How's that for a compromise?

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

...but you won't hear a peep from me when Pech shoots 3-12 or Blair gets 3 boards.
Promise.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | November 6, 2009 10:19 AM

sincerely wish you would.

Then again, I'm 41...

pathetic rofl

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope you never make it to 41.

Posted by: Blurred | November 6, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

And its nice your comments are targeted to the game, not the personalities of people you don't know.

Posted by: Blurred | November 6, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm so in the tank for the Zards at this point that I can't bring myself to complain about what I've seen so far.
It's just too early. And given a Summer and fall of Nats and Skins, it doesn't take much to provide watchable entertainment.

The Zards look organized on the defensive end and will grow in to a comfort level with the offensive scheme. I mean,it worked with Marbury at the point!

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | November 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse
_____

Thank you! And, why are we in these games? Bc we now play a modicum of defense. We are no longer a sieve defensively, which will bode well once the offense gets going and that is only a matter of time. We're fine.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"If you tell a 22 year old guy that he needs to hand the ball off or stay in the paint, they'll do it. If you punish them rather than teach them, OTOH, then you get no progress."

Clearly, you've never actually been or spoken to a 22 year old. Or, well, anyone of any age, really.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Uncle. I was hardheaded at 22, too. But the one thing that young players cherish above all is playing time. PT leads to endorsements, money, fame, etc. I'm fairly certain that a strong coach who the players respected would have been able to command attention.
I think were lacking in the 'who the players respected' part.

BTH, AB and Pech all probably underachieved and rebelled in part because they didnt like or respect the coach. In any case, Flip appears to have gotten AB's attention and we're all seeing the results...so far.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

That is, positive results

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"I'm fairly certain that a strong coach who the players respected would have been able to command attention. "

I'm fairly certain that's a sweeping generalization so broad that it lacks any practical value.

Not all players are the same, nor do they respond to the same stimulus. To suggest that players never respond to negative reinforcement is as simplistic and wrong-headed as suggesting they only respond to negative reinforcement.

Are there times when a pat on the head works best? Sure. But there are also times (and players) that require a swift kick in the ass. It's not the same for every player, nor is it even the same for the same player in every situation.

Did you perhaps consider that if it hadn't been for Jordan being tough on him, Blatche might not have been in position to take advantage of the opportunity he has now under Saunders? Of course not. Also, given that you're such a diehard proponent of the "big men take longer to develop" theory, did it occur to you that perhaps this is simply Blatche's time, and that nothing Jordan (or any other coach) did differently would have produced better results because Blatche himself wasn't ready to produce them?

And then there's the fact (and it is a fact, undeniable and easily verifiable) that, contrary to what the Jordan haters' club would like to believe, Blatche did show improvement under Jordan, which puts to lie the notion that his handling of Blatche didn't work.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 6, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If they win indiana too night i am going to believe in our defense.As you all said it offense will come when chemistry is maturing and every body come back from injury.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse