Nick Young to start vs. Indiana

In a rather surprising move, Wizards Coach Flip Saunders has decided to insert Nick Young into the starting lineup against Indiana in place of the injured Mike Miller. Miller sprained his left shoulder during the Wizards' 93-89 loss against the Miami Heat on Wednesday and isn't expected to return until next week at the earliest.

Young didn't play against Miami, receiving his second DNP-Coach's Decision of the season, and has been used sparingly in the other three games. Young, a third-year guard, has scored just nine points in 27 minutes this season, after averaging 10.9 points last season. He started the preseason opener against Memphis but his inability to grasp Saunders's system on both ends of the floor pushed him out of the rotation. He missed his first nine field goal attempts of the season.

Randy Foye started at shooting guard against New Jersey on Saturday but Saunders said he wanted Foye to get used to his routine as the combo guard off the bench with the ability to play either backcourt position. Saunders also said that Young has been playing well in practice, which led to this temporary promotion.

"It's another opportunity," Saunders said. "I'm giving him a shot to see what he can do."

Young didn't respond well the last time he was placed in a similar position. After Caron Butler injured his left knee in Atlanta, Saunders let Young start the second half but he quickly sat down after missing his first two shots.

"When you're on a team where there is a lot of competition at those spots, what you need to do is take advantage of any opportunity you can get," Saunders said. "Usually good players, that's what they do."

By Michael Lee  |  November 6, 2009; 3:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Book review: 'When the Game Was Ours'
Next: The Other Side: Indiana Pacers

Comments

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

yet another opportunity for Young. I hope he can rise to the occasion or else he'll be collecting a lot of splinters while riding the pine this year.

From a different perspective, what does this say about stevenson? Did he play so poorly against the Heat that we've pretty much seen the end of him?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope the kid can make the most of it. I like him.

Posted by: Matte | November 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

good move. It is better to keep foye and Blache on their rhythm,The action is very helpful to AB whose game has a tendency to get inconsistant with situations.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 6, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Foye is not starting because they need to keep him as the PG off the bench, at least for now.

If Young does awful, we might see Foye starting until Miller returns. We can't have DS start because GA and CB would be the only scorers on the floor.

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 6, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

This is Young's audition. If he doesn't get the part he'll have no one to blame but himself.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i would love to see dsteve take a seat and let Dom get his minutes. Doms much longer and doesnt make nearly as many bad decisions with the ball as dsteve does.

come on flip!

Posted by: DMoney28 | November 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think its a very good decision to start Young in Miller's abscence. I hope that Young realize that they're depending on him to deliver. He's making a fair wage to do so.

On the other hand, I like Coach Saunders. I think he has this team headed in the right direction. It looks like he's going through the process of teaching the Wizards "How to Win".

Posted by: carterm1 | November 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I like this move, I hope McGuire can get some PT in stead of DSteve.

Posted by: Gooddad | November 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@ DMoney,

I agree 100%, just read your post after mine. D Steve should be behind them and Mike James. I think before all is said and done, everyone will get an opportunity as more (hope I'm wrong)injuries are bound to happen.

Posted by: Gooddad | November 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Good, I like to give NY one more chance. He played well when he started in the preseason. Let's see if he can take this opportunity and run with it!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

NY starting, ha ha ha ha ha.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | November 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I like this move also.
NY needs to just play the game.
Don't try to force anything.
Move without the ball and don't stand around.
Play D. Stay between your man & the basket and make him shoot over your out stretched hand.
Rocket Science????

Posted by: VBFan | November 6, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Good move on Flip's part. However, Flip dropped the ball in that Heat game by not giving DMac a look at guarding Wade. "We" already knew Stevenson was not going to give them anything on the "o" side of the floor.

But, to not have him defend either is what I think surprised Flip. Granted, Stevenson did stop Wade from posting up at will like he did with Foye. I am not going to go Riggo on the dude, but he should only be in the game if his "corkscrew, waist to chest push shot, sidespin" jumper is hitting on the regular.

I also think Mike James should get the first look off of the pine over Stevenson. I hope Flip got a chance to see Stevenson is not the defensive stopper he used to be. Next time he needs to give DMac a chance to stop the other teams hot "2 or 3".

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's not true for Gilby's sake, but Laura is one scary looking woman.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I always knew I hated shaq justifiably, the media eats his crap up but he's just an arrogant behemoth, gil needs to get his beyonce on and upgrade

Posted by: bford1kb | November 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Put up or shut up time for NY.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Nick.
Hopefully DMac gets a little run tonight against the 6' 8" Granger.

DeShawn works hard on the defensive end, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he's effective at it. He knows where to be, but he looks really slow this season.

Even more troubling is his lack of:
Shooting,Ball handling,Passing,Rebounding,
Shot blocking and Free Throw shooting. Did I miss anything?
Oh yeah, and he has no post game...

He plays the 2. He's got to be able to do more than get into a text book defensive stance and watch quiker 2s blow by him.

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 6, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Listen I'm one of the few big Nick Young Fans here but this makes no sense. Saunders is really screwing with Young. He doesn't play him at all in the opener. Then in the 2nd game he starts him in the 2nd half and promptly pulls him and doesn't put him back in. Then he doesn't play him at all the next game. And now he's starting Young? YOu think Nick will play with any confidence? Not!

Starting to wonder about ole Flip. Young is going to be so tight he'll make a couple of bad plays and then Flip will bury him again. And old Flip aint getting much love especially in light of him not being able to see that Mike Miller's arm was jangling down to the floor. Me thinks the bloom is off the rose.

Posted by: dovelevine | November 6, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse