Wizards 108, Cavaliers 91

If one thing stood out from the game tonight, it was how important it is for the Washington Wizards to have all three of their all-stars on the court. Not one. Not two. But all three. The Wizards are not like Cleveland or Miami, teams that are fortunate to have one transcendent superstar to carry them over the course of 82 games. They need that trio to compete with the other big dogs in the NBA and this win served as a friendly reminder.

Unfortunately, the Wizards have rarely been able to get those guys on the floor together, which explains why they've never won a playoff series since the so-called Big Three was formed.

Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler have struggled with their shots all season, and it was no different on Wednesday night, as Arenas and Butler combined to shoot just 12 of 38. Any other night, the Wizards probably would've succumbed to the LeBron James one-man show.

But on this night, the Wizards had Antawn Jamison to fill the gaps, and he did that and more, as he scored 31 points with 10 rebounds, keeping the Wizards competitive in the first half, until Arenas was able to wake up in the third quarter, scoring 14 of his 18 points, and Butler was able to take over the game completely in the fourth, scoring 13 of his 19 points.

Three stars were able to trump one humungous star, as the Wizards passed the scoring load off -- with cameos from Mike Miller and Earl Boykins -- and finally put an end to that miserable six-game losing streak.

"It was great having him back out there," Arenas said of Jamison, "especially for me because they can't kill on me as much because most of my pick and rolls come off Antawn and he came out stroking it. He dominated that first quarter, Mike Miller dominated in the second quarter, I dominated in the third quarter, then Earl Boykins and Caron came in and dominated the fourth. We just had a real balanced effort tonight."

The Wizards will continue to need a complete team effort, because it's obvious that Arenas is not ready to carry the team as he once did -- not yet. He is still fighting with his mind, which is telling him that he can still dominate, while his body is saying otherwise. He seemed to really get stubborn in the third quarter, when he decided that he was going to shoot himself out his funk, no matter how many missed shots it took. Coach Flip Saunders said afterward that Arenas is still trying to regain his form and that it might take a few months before he truly resembles the old Gil. Arenas admitted the same after the game.

"I see myself getting to the rim whenever I want to, I need to just say, 'I'm just going to" stop thinking so much, Arenas said. "Just little things mentally I was faster in the game. In my mind, I know Delonte West jumps every time he shoots the ball. In my mind I know that! I've watched too much gamefilm not to know that. But in the game, I see him coming, and I'm not using the pump-fake, and as soon as it gets blocked, I'm like [crap], I already knew what he was going to do. It's just getting that timing back."

Jamison said he felt fine after missing the past five weeks. He looked odd with that mummy-like padding and sleeve on his right shoulder. He said it was good to test his arm in game situations, adding that he survived the early tests, such as when Delonte West blocked one of his shots, he dove to the ground for a loose ball and he got tangled with Brendan Haywood for a rebound. But I did notice what happened the first time he crossed paths with Zydrunas Ilguaskas. If you recall, this whole thing got started when Jamison chopped down on Ilguaskas last month in Cleveland. When Jamison defended Ilguaskas on Wednesday, he quickly slapped down with his left hand.

"When I see him, that's when I think about it," Jamison said with a laugh. "It was hard to deal with because it was just a fluke play [last month]. Those are the things that are hard to explain. That's about the only time I was conscious [of the injury] and said, 'Let me use this left instead of that right.' "

But the unsung hero of the night was DeShawn Stevenson. It was a crazy turnaround for Stevenson, who heard boos upon his entrance in the third quarter but was dribbling out the clock in the closing seconds, as fans gave the Wizards a standing ovation. It happened to be Stevenson bobble-hand night, and he provided a clutch defensive performance on James, the player he loves to hate. The feeling is obviously mutual.

It's amazing to me how James is probably the most dominant force in the NBA but Stevenson, who had the gumption to call James "overrated" nearly two years ago, can still manage to get into his head. The first time he matched up with James, Stevenson forced him into an errant three-pointer. He later batted away the ball late in the shot clock, leading another errant three-point airball as the shot clock expired.

"He came in very professional and played 'meat and potato' basketball," Coach Flip Saunders said. "He didn't give them any antics. He just put his nose into it and played solid basketball."

James scored just six points and shot 3 of 7 in the fourth quarter after getting 28 points on 9 of 13 shooting in the first three. The capper came with 3:22 left in the game when Stevenson appeared to wrap up James but was credited with a blocked shot. James was irate and protested, picking up a technical foul. Afterward he played down his interaction with Stevenson. "It is not even about that for me, I don't know about anyone else's mindframe," James said. "We don't try to do that, we just try to win games."

Jamison's return couldn't have come at a better time for the struggling Wizards, but they certainly didn't play a great game for 48 minutes, especially after falling behind by 17 points early. But they came out energized in the second half, outscoring Cleveland 64-40 in the second half. They pulled away in the fourth quarter as Jamison and Arenas sat back and watched Boykins, Butler, Miller, Andray Blatche and DeShawn Stevenson.

"We take it however we take it," Jamison said. "I'm not going to say everything was fixed. We did what we set out to do, defend our home court. The energy level, competed a little bit better. But let's not kid ourselves. We still have a lot of room for improvement. But I like the way we competed. I liked the way we found a way to get it done."

By Michael Lee  |  November 19, 2009; 12:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cavaliers (8-3) at Wizards (2-7)
Next: Morning brew

Comments

first!!

good game for the wiz tonight...long way to go though...team just needs to stay healthy (the shoulder injuries on this team is worrisome-c'mon training staff get these guys strong and in condition)...flip will regret leaving miller in the game he first injured his shoulder (and they let him go back out there)...this guy is key and its gonna take all season for him to get right from this injury...gil gets a pass for his up and down play because of the last two seasons...but he only gets that pass if he plays smarter and moves the ball around instead of forcing shots...AJ is gonna make teams respect the wiz more because of his ability to score in the paint, make threes and rebound...caron can be the teams best defender if he makes it a priority and not worry about scoring as much (tayshun prince type role)...boykins is breath of fresh air! i hope they sign him for the remainder of the year...this was a "must" win as far as i was concerned and the wiz did it!! now here comes kevin durant...stay focused wiz (hope miller is alright).

Posted by: ronniecope106 | November 19, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

This was a tremendous win. Its huge what a player like Jamison brings to this team. I really hope these guys can stay healthy.

By the way, I hope LeBron leaves the worthless city of Cleveland and all those dumb Buckeye fans.

Posted by: Roman5 | November 19, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Put four scorers on the floor with Haywood, and there is no need for him to handle the ball. He rebounded well and played great defense. The offense doesn't get bogged down. He's the unsung hero of this game.

The team is back to operating on 5 cylinders. Flip still has some work to do.

Posted by: Izman | November 19, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

For all of the Jamison haters, "How you like him now". GO WIZ!! Great game. I just don't understand why people would want to see El Capitawn traded. He brings a lot to this team on and off the court.

Posted by: ivyleague | November 19, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Mike Lee, you can say all you want about Stevenson, but the second most important contributor last night was Mike Miller. He was a great catalyst on offense and he decided that he had to shoot the ball. Great player. Love his game.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 19, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

ZardsFan1

I agree. I in previous games this season that Miller was passing up open shots and ending up forcing passes. The game turned when he forced Cleveland to not let him shoot. If you can shoot but nobody thinks you gonna shoot because you don't, why have the ability. He is making himself a must to resign.

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Yep. Mike Miller is the key to this team. If Gil ever gets his old game back, maybe the old big 3 can try to do some damage but MM gives us a 3 point threat, rebounding from the 2 and good passing.
That draft day trade is looking like a brilliant move (besides Jennings in Milwaukee).

Posted by: original_mark | November 19, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Other than Crybaby James, Wizards kept the other folks in check. Have to love that he hurt his wrist on that slam.

What a positive Mike Miller is!! He is always positive and hustling.

Arenas and Butler still need to get going.

Great defense by Haywood last night.

Boykins was a great pickup. With him, doubt we will even need to keep Crittendon.

McGuire-why does this player get minutes? Definitely not his shooting!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 19, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

And to think, Arenas didn't play at all in the 4th is testimony of the backcourt depth becuase when Arenas went out for a rest, he was getting his swag while LeBron was resting as well. When Boykins replaced Arenas, he had his swag going too, so Gil didn't need to come back in.

On a side note, I was hoping the wizards sign Boykins last year. Wonder why they didn't?

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Nick Young might just be done in DC.

Posted by: tundey | November 19, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Miller had +- of 2+26. Jamison had +4.

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Miller had +- of +26. Jamison had +4.

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

For all you Stevenson haters, how do you like him now? I know, it's probably about the same.

I think he gets criticized a little too much on this board. He seemingly has something to offer this team, as a role player off the bench.

Has anyone noticed the minutes that Haywood is getting this year? He consistently gets more than 30 minutes, even over 35 minutes many nights now. Even when he had his so called breakout season two years ago, he would usually get only about 25 minutes a game.

With AJ back last night, I noticed Blatche got a lot of his minutes at backup center. I don't remember him playing at center too much, if any, in past games this year.

As alluded to in Michael's post, for this team to be all it can be, Gil needs to get back to clicking on all cylinders, which has not happened yet and may not for a while. It is more than just becoming the dominant player he once was, he has to learn how to become an effective PG in Saunders' system.

Posted by: cannontl | November 19, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

three words: Jamison And Miller

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

the reason jamison's +- is so low is because he had to provide 75% of the Wizards first quarter scoring since nobody else could make a shot and the Cavs were shooting 68% at that point.

+- is a decent stat to check over the course of a season, but is much better suited to a game like hockey or soccer that has low scoring. In a fast moving/scoring game like basketball, esp over such a short period of time as one game (and really just like 36 minutes of that game) it fails to take into consideration all the other aspects, such as a hot streak or a slump by other players.

Of course Miller helped himself by scoring or setting up a score nearly everytime he touched the ball! Hope his shoulder is OK

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

great win for us. didnt see the game so im wondering why foye only played 4 mins last night? is it cuz of his injury? because if it was then i dont see why they put him in the game in the first place

Posted by: bullets8890 | November 19, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had started AB instead of AJ.

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Exactly. Stevenson is our best defender and while they say Wade scored 80 on him...it's not true and I think I showed that before. That's 2 of the 3 best players on the planet and DeShawn went head up with both of them.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Someone help me out. Why did the Wiz fans boo Deshawn Stevenson when he entered the game? Maybe they were mistaking it with LeTravel's boo's.

Posted by: musicman65000 | November 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

G-Man11 - I was thinking the same thing last year. However, he was playing over seas and I think he was already locked into that contract so the Wiz could not sign him.

Points of Interest:

1/ Mike Miller should get an extension. I knew about him since his Orlando days, but I did not realize how good this dude really is and what he brings to the table. Love his game. He is still ballin with one arm.

2/ EG does not look all that bad now signing AJ to that large contract. Never was a basher of AJ other then on his lack of defensive skills. But having him out made me realize the dude is really needed and that he has serious game that helps open up the floor for CB and Gil.

3/ NY looks like all of his confidence is pretty much gone. Flip has given him numerous chances and he does not look like he has improved his game. I was a big supporter of NY, but something is just not clicking with that kid. He might need a change of venue.

4/ Now I think McGee should at least be getting about 10 mins a game backing up Haywood. Can you imagine him and Bokins on the floor together? Talk about a "high octane" unit. (McGee - 5, AB - 4, CB - 3, DS - 2, and Bokins - 1). DS gets the nod over Foye because Foye is a liablity on the defensive end. Flip try that combo and see what happens.

5/ Lastly, much props to my man Haywood. I always knew with regular mins. that dude could do well. I gurantee anybody even after he signs his new contract next year, you will not see a dropoff in his performance. The dude loves the game and wants to get better. He is getting a chance to vindicate himself now after EJ tried his best to kill his game. I am glad he is getting a chance to shutup a lot of his naysayers from the last two seasons....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 19, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly sure why Foye got so few minutes, but it could be because Boykins was effective.

FS chose to play Boykins down the stretch in the fourth quarter along with Blatche, Miller, Butler and Jamison, leaving Gil Haywood and others on the bench.

Posted by: cannontl | November 19, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I like what Boykins brings...but it's not hard to tell why he is a journeyman...he can be a serious liability...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Why did the Wiz fans boo Deshawn Stevenson when he entered the game?"

Same reason LeCrybaby got cheered, there were many Cavs fans there last night. Most of whom have probably never set foot in cleveland of course

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

If anyone saw the Jamison interview on Comcast last night it speaks volumes about who the leader of this team is; without exceptiom it is Jamison he has taken upon himself to be the vocal leader and to hold everyone including himself accountable,i for one applaud him.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

So far, I like Boykins, too. He was not taken advantage of too much last night. He seemed to be agressive on defense. We'll see how it goes.

Posted by: cannontl | November 19, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bullets8890 | November 19, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

bullets8890 - Foye is a liability on the defensive end at the 2 spot. He gets posted up and shot over with no problem. People try to call him a combo guard, but he is really a point guard. He has to defend the 2 on the defensive end when he is in there with Bokins or Gil. That is not his strength.

This has nothing to do with his ankle. If you remember in the Miami game, Wade was posting him up all night and Flip "had" to put DS in there to stop the post up of Wade which he did. However Wade burned DS on the perimeter whenever he wanted to.

Bokins has now probably hurt Foye's future mins. more then DS's. But you can not deny what Bokins brings to the table and the energy and smooth ball movement he brings to the team.

Lastly, the man has a great looking "j" that normally hits. Mike Miller, AJ, Foye, and Bokins are the only ones on the team who shoot their "j's" with follow through and proper rotation. Gilbert, Caron, and NY "pull the string" on all of their "j's" and DS has a waist to chest push shot corktop spinning "j" that never looks good.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 19, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

In five years, when you look back at it, I think you are going to find that Haywood's season this year is going to be his best. He is playing with fire and going after rebounds like the junkyard dog.

Is he playing for a new contract? Yes. Will he play like this next year with 40 million under his belt? No. He'll go back to being an okay big, but one with a big smile on his face.

I'm not hating, I'm congratulating.

Posted by: chinatown | November 19, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Was Boykins signed to a 10 day contract or long term?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 19, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe Stevenson got booed for the same reason that this board is full of people saying he should be cut/traded/benched/etc.

he screwed up badly at the end of two games, costing us possible wins. (missing both FT and then fouling before the inbounds)

He plays tough and I loved the way he tied up LeBron.

But they booed him before he did any of that

I thought he would sink a 3 as time expired just to piss off LeBron some more, but glad he had more class than that.

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Boykins was signed to a season-long, nongauranteed contract.

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

at least that is what the ESPN announcers said last night.

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

DS played great d on Lebron down the stretch can't take anything away from that, he also didn't take one shot, which was really great for me.
AJ killed last night. He looked like the same 'ol AJ i don't enjoy watching but always "gets it done" (20+pts 9+rebs). he looked like he was in midseason form, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when he plays against a team that has a 4 that he'll have to guard (jackson and hickson don't count, eventhough they kept getting wide open dunks somehow).
I luv Eminem right now he's my Wiz MVP possibly he and Haywood should split it. Gil's gotta play through this rough patch and Caron Butler's gotta pass the ball (40 mins 6-16 shooting 1 asst 3 tos).
I think the other guys looked good in the second half escpecially the group that played with AB in the 4th. i guess i'm most worried about CB. Gils recovering from major knee surgery and is real just learning how to play again, i dunno CB's excuse. The refs stayed outta this one for the most part even T'd Tha Kang up for cryin. Good overall win, something to build on.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Boykins was signed to a season-long, nongauranteed contract.

Posted by: Blurred

Great! Thanks!

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

good post chinatown, i guess it's kinda easy to have a carrer year when you're career avg is 10 pts and you are a full time starter. while his numbers can be attributed to the crew of jackers around him, no one can doubt BTH's work ethic and focus this year. that being said, it'll definitely be interesting to see if he gets complacent when he gets that big deal next summer (and it should be reasonably big, BTH might make the all star game this year)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Miller is really the key to balancing out the Big Three (Big Four if you count Haywood who is the team's best rebounder and defender.) He's the team's best 3-pt. shooter, very unselfish, excellent passer, and a tough rebounder for his size. I didn't realize what a good all around game he had having seen him on bad teams in Memphis and Minnesota. EG is going to have to pay him some serious $$'s to keep him here next year since he'd be a great six man on a number of contenders.

Arenas doesn't appear to have the lift in his legs on his 3-pointers. The only time he hit one was when Miller set him up and he had 3 seconds to shoot a set shot. I think it's going to take him time to get back his 3-point range on a consistent basis and he should be looking to get Miller and Jamision open shots when his aren't falling. He took a lot of forced shots early in the shot clock in the 3rd quarter.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 19, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Jamison makes all the difference for this team, he's the MVP and leader.

Caron hit some important shots down the stretch and was key in sealing the game. BUT, he was missing point blank scores all night.

Gil looks off on his shot and even moreso on his timing. The TOs are just terrible, passes that have no chance.

But Gil's game will come back to him. Caron? Not so sure.

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Great win!
This is the same type of game the Zards have played all year. They got up on Atlanta, then folded. They got up on Miami here and in Miami, then folded. They were up on Cleveland in Cleveland then folded.

The difference last night was Boykins. He gave Flip and opportunity to ride some one else at the point. I think Gil's losing his legs late in games.

Regarding Stevenson, and yes I'm a basher, one game in ten ain't enough to convince me he isn't a liability on the court. He was inspired last night, but I honestly didn't see him do anything DMac could not have done. He'll get his chance to prove me wrong at OKC. And speaking of feuds...

BRENDAN TODD HAYWOOD V. THE POET

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 19, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Caron seems like he's hell-bent on scoring on his isolations, like he just can't fathom driving and dishing.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Evidently, Flip told Gil to "shoot through it." At the half when CSN had the quick interview with Flip, Flip acknowledged this and said something along the lines of "Well, he sure is shooting...I hope he gets through it soon."

As far as Caron goes, he just seems fuzzy, almost like he needs a jolt of caffiene to shake the rust off. Some of his TO's are errant passes. That means he was at least trying to get the assist and is not "hogging" the ball as much as is indicated. If he is going to throw the ball into the scorer's table, I'd rather him shoot.

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I was glad to see Gil trying to "shoot through it", it's the only way.

He got to the basket well a few times, but I agree he looks like his legs are done in the 4th quarter.

Nice job by DeBeard on James, but watching King and Dom stand next to each other- I'd like to see Mcguire on his crybaby a*s, the size is there

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 19, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I disagree. I am a big DMac supporter and wish he could get more minutes this year. But no way he even comes close to defending Lebron like Steezy did last night. Other than the fast break dunks...Lebron did not get one good shot when Stevenson was on him. That's damn near impossible to do esp the way Lebron was playing last night.

Posted by: VaWizard85 | November 19, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse
Is that the standard for an all star? NY is burried on the bench (justifiably) because of his miscues, but somehow CB avoids the same level of scrutiny despite haveing more experience in the league. CB is playing at an NY level, the only diff is the green light. CB can take whatever shot he wants (and he often does) regardless of situation, and to poor results, but as soon as NY comes in and jacks one it's "off with his head". I'm not comparing CB's body of work with that of NY, but i don't see CB as a guy who's earning his mins right now. while a guy like AB rededicated himself to his game this summer maybe CB dedicated himself to......

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

If CB continues to shoot terribly, does Miller eventually get the nod at 3?

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

and with NY, i'll bet the way he practices and his attitude (all fun and games) keep him buried on the bench just as much as his errant play.

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaWizard85 | November 19, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

the thing about Steezy(????????????) is that he's so much of a liability in other areas that flip only played him in 16 mins of the game so that great d is minimized. granted most of his contributions came down the stretch or crunch time when cle tried to go all eastern conf finals on us with the 1 on 5 show,, but DS has to find other ways to contribute offensively so that Flip can trust him to be on the floor more if he deserves it. Right now he's more of a specialist than a complete player (like a lot of our guys), like a closer in baseball or a great faceoff guy in lax.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards really needed this win.

It will be interesting to see how they play in the next couple of games.

To win a championship, Gil needs to unserstand he has players on his team that can score and he doesn't have to put up so many shots without passing the ball first.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

But you want NY to get minutes...he's really complete. He can't follow instructions on offense...AND he sucks defensively.

He's complete alright...completely lost.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Wizfan89, I saw exactly what you saw. Gil has no legs in his shot - even his free throws. Hubie Brown kept pointing out his lack of explosion. This is especially worrisome given that they were coming off a huge layoff, and they're only 10 games into the season. You would think that he would be fresh and explosive last night. I'm not sure that this will improve as the season progresses. the offseason is devoted to getting stronger, while maintenance is the key during the season.

I also have to think that something is wrong physically with Caron. There is no other reasonable explanation for his declining play. He, too, looks like he's got no legs in his shot or first step.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good one Blurred on AB starting in place of AJ. Maybe in Bizarro World.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 19, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I am impressed with Haywood's hustle. He got 6 offensive rebounds (10 total rebounds in the 1st half). Ended up with 13 rebounds and 3 blocks. Only 6 points, but 100% FT and 100% FG! Perfect game! :)

Sure, Jamison and Miller provided the scoring, but Haywood also help hold down the fort in the 1st half.

Posted by: drawde02 | November 19, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | November 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he should go back to pounding the two liters of Mountain Dew during his pregame ritual. I heard he gave it up to get in better shape...

Posted by: MBUSA | November 19, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Caron and Gil will shoot through it(hopefully!) all good shooter's have semi-slumps so not to worry.Earl Boykins is fun to watch, man i hated it when he played for the opposition he is nerve wracking and hard to guard so i'm glad he's on our side,Haywood played well again he rarely disappears and is a fierce rebounder. Nick is buried on the bench for now and with the addition of Boykins we might not see "LA Smooth" anytime soon that's too bad but it just goes to show EJ was right.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Not a good sign when your superstar "point guard" asks another player to play for him down the stretch. This is the time when superstars want the ball in their hands. Arenas is not a true point guard and should stop this experiment.

Starting line up should be:

PG Foye or Boykins
SG Arenas
SF Butler
PF Jamison
C Haywood

Oh and the crying baby sound clip after Letrabel was T'd up for his usual crying after carrying and doubledribbling the ball in the same play and the refs had the termerity to call him on it was classic.

Posted by: Fontana1 | November 19, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

When the Wizards are playing at full strength they can compete with any team in the NBA. MM and RF were excellent pickups that will pay dividends during the course of the season. We have to be patient with Gil and remember that he has been out for over 2 years. I expect to see big things from him in a couple of months. I like CB but cringe whenever he handles the ball, he is a turnover machine. Nice game from BH and AJ. AJ is class act and should be appreciated more by the fans.

Posted by: jahjank | November 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Lebron on his wrist:

"I hit it pretty bad on the rim," said James, who iced his wrist in the locker room after the game. "It's like you hit your funny bone, but it's not funny at all."

a knee slapper from the king.

Posted by: crs-one | November 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yea, but he was on the floor with Boykins, Miller, Butler, and Blatche. That's more than enough offense to offset him. All he has to do is play in the offensive system and pass to the open man. He had a nice assist to Butler wide open underneath the basket. He just needs to do the little things like that. Also take the shot when it's open. I mean if he gets a good look and misses, that's alright by me. A good look is a good look.

Posted by: VaWizard85 | November 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Lastly, the man has a great looking "j" that normally hits. posted by bulletsfever"

It might be great-looking, but he's not a great shooter. Highest FG percentage in his career (when he played in 30 games or more) was 42.7%. Career average 41.5. He hits in around 35% from the 3 point line, which helps a little.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed but everytime the Cavs lose a game as soon as the horn sounds LeBron always starts limping or grabbing his arm or wrist. Not just last night but he always does it. It's hilarious. He's like of course we didn't win I wasn't 100%. I respect his talent no doubt, but the constant crying for standing within 10' of him is just crazy. He gets away with murder as well, someone needs to take out his legs under him when he goes into that crab dribble b.s. I'd send out a thug to submarine him or give him a hard foul when he goes for that move.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

deshawn FTW!!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | November 19, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

He's complete alright...completely lost.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

when's the last time i mentioned NY deserving some mins? stop being a jerk and take the post for what it is.and if i was sayin NY deserved time it would be to see if he could stay in front of someone and if he can follow instructions given the right amt of pt, CB gets the luxury (albeit an earned luxury) of playing 40 mins per regardless of how poorly he plays offensively (6 of 16, 1 asst 3 to) or defensively (checking Tha Kang most of the game when they were both playing) and there's not a pee. but like i said nowhere today or in the past 5-10 posts have i mentioned NY deserving more pt. maybe previously, but that horse been rode off into the sunset.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

musicman65000, A few people booed Deshawn but not many. He came in for Miller and I think a lot of folks wanted Miller to stay in the game. Most of the booing was for James...clearly.
LeBron had his game face on last night. He cried to the refs on EVERY SINGLE CALL that went against him. When he got to the line (a supposed hit to the head that didnt come close to touching him), he walked to the line like he deserved it.
What an aho!

Posted by: original_mark | November 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Love Mike Miller. Excellent shooter, nice passer, more than anything a team guy. Playing hurt and running over to pick guys up off the floor. Hope his hard work is contagious.

Closeouts on shooters weren't too bad, defense was feisty. Wizards looked like they cared last night. Hopefully that continues.

Posted by: saltine182 | November 19, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@SD

if u recall i was trashed on here for proposing a hypothetical trade scenario to the clips featuring NY and whatever it would take to get thornton or gordon. i was trashed for that trade proposal by u and kal (per ususal) but today u wanna trash me and the NY playing time straw man ur building.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I believe I may have been the only one saying that CB is a little overrated, one dimensional offensively and easy to stop. Just play up on him and ignore the superfluous dribbles and he won't shoot the jumper...at least he wont make it.
I can believe that Gil will shoot his way out because he's missing open quality shots but am not so sure about CB. Let's hope so. In any case, we have enough talent for one of the guys to be cold. W4e still havent sprung NY, JM on folks when the big 3 is hot. Not to mention Foye.

Good win but let's not forget Shaq and Sideshow were out. Shaq got a bunch of ridiculous calls against us last time and probably would have gotten them again. Sideshow always kills us with second chance rebounds. Plus, the refs were clearly on the Cavs (NBA) payroll and were trying to give this game to the Cavs the way they were calling things. We beat a team without 2 of their starters. We should have. Lets' beat some contenders now.

Posted by: original_mark | November 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If CB continues to shoot terribly, does Miller eventually get the nod at 3?

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I might venture to say that we r looking at next years staring 3 with Mike Miller. He may play CB out of washington if Cb keeps on trying to play himself out of town. Both have to be re-signed this summer and miller's shooting touch, rebounding and overall heart/tenacity/want-to is gonna make a lot of folks in dc buy jerseys other than the no 4 or 0. i don't think it's just the shooting, something's wrong with CB he looks like a shell of the "all-star" we once called tough juice

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Good win, I hope we can build upon it.

With Stevenson, I think he is doing an okay job on D. You can more afford for one player to concentrate on that when you have alot of other scoring. In the past thats what kills about people like him when you add in his antics. I think thats what gets people on his case. Truthfull I think that has been my gripe over the years w/our roster. Mostly jack on one trade guys.

One guy has D but cant shoot.
One guy can score but plays no D
One guy can handle the ball but can't shoot.
ETC....
It would be great to have one or two guys with a great skill SET, but I guess we are still waiting for that.

As far as NY, I hope our coaches are intellegent enough to seperate ones personality from what he does on the court.
If he is really not taking his job serious I agree, but hope we are all not making dumb assumptions.

Posted by: millineumman | November 19, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes Cleveland was without Shaq and Varejo, but I have been saying all along I want to see a healthy Wizard team play with an equal(referee) playing field. I was never scared to play Cleveland healthy.

Yes Shaq can draw fouls but the real issue with the refs is that they don't call the game the same on both ends. If they did that, then we will see what's what because Shaq at this age can't play a ton of minutes anyway. Last time in Cleveland, the Wiz were up 18 and Cleveland started going to Shaq who drew fouls and got our bigs in foul trouble. OK. They came back because the refs would not make calls on the other end so the wizards would not score, make turnovers, and would get no free throws.

Posted by: G-Man11 | November 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bozomoeman
________________________

Posted by: VaWizard85
_________________________

VaWizard85,

No apology necessary. We are both Wizards fans and only want the best for our team. Differing opinions are the driving force of any discussion!

And in light of that, Stevenson did indeed play extremely well against LeTravel.
He got in LeTravel's head and in the process forgot about playing the game with the four other players on the floor.

That's great, unfortunately DSteve will not play against LeTravel every night, he going to have show me that he can be effective against someone who isn't caught up in a personal vendetta.

I'm not hatin for the sake of hatin'
Below are DSteve's last 5 games +/-.

Cleveland +14
Detroit -6
@Mia -25
Phx -2
Ind -10

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 19, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I have also gotten killed on here for critisizing CB. I also think that his game has been one dimensional for a while. The ability to shoot while being guarded comes from people cheating back a bit for fear you may drive to the hole on them. That threat seems to be leaving his game which brings the forcing things.

Just because you make an observation does not mean that you "Hate on Players"
Most of us want our guys to do better!

Posted by: millineumman | November 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

No one booed Deshawn entering the game, that booing was for Lebron. I can't remember the exact what happened but I think Lebron was making a big show about not getting an offensive foul called on the Wizards on the prior possession.

Posted by: ZachMorris | November 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

There were no shortage of bandwagon LeCrab fans at the game last night, and many of them booed DeShawn when he came (at least that's how it seemed to me).

The faces LeBaby makes while whining on EVERY play....just cant stand it, ez to hate on that guy.

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If I recall this week you were asking why Flip never calls plays for Nick...you're his biggest fan...it's cool though. Everybody needs a hero.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

since u can recall me ASKING why Flip doesn't run plays for NY while he's in the game, maybe u can recall when; if ever, in the past 5-10 posts have i mentioned NY deserving MORE pt. if not why don't u write about the wizards and stop worrying bout NY. NY hasn't played in a while and prolly won't play anytime soon. i don't know why u feel the need to burn NY everytime u sign onto wiz insider, but it'll b ok. if NY and the fellas G'd ur girl after the club or something like that don't trip just think to yourself " It ain't that bad, there are pro athelets going through what i'm going through"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

if not why don't u write about the wizards and stop worrying bout NY.

'scuse me i meant the game, write something bout the game and the players who participated.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jamison obviously gave the team an offensive boost, but until the 4th quarter, Mike Miller was the key to this team. When he was on the floor the team was passing well, the players were spread out, and people were taking high percentage shots. He also had loads of energy and aggressiveness. When he was on the bench, no one seemed to know what to do, would get jammed in the key, and the team was disappointing to watch.

I'm sure his role and importance will evolve as Gilbert continues to return to old form. But just from watching last night's game, I took away that Mike Miller is a key to this team.

Posted by: voteprime | November 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike Miller (aka: White Chocolate) played great and I have a man crush on Jamison...that dude brings so much heart to this team...

Posted by: authorofpoetry | November 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If Miller starts at the 3, who starts at the 2?

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah NY G'd my girl...sure.

You and rbrown are the only people who bring him up. All I hear is CB and comparisons to NY which just sound stupid. I swear last week you were blaming Flip for not giving Nick enough opporunities. If that's not playing time I don't know what you meant.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah NY G'd my girl...sure.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

it's actually pretty clear : here's what u said u recall being said:

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

now, asking why a player doesn't get plays called for them when they're in the game doesn't sound remotely close to saying that someone deserves more minutes; but more so it begs the question whether the player is being used effectively whenever they do get minutes. it's u that has the hardon for NY. This season, I haven't once said that he's played well or is playing well. despite my initial distaste for the trade ( i really didn't like MM coming in) i have completely reversed field and claim MM as my fave wizard at this point. NY is one of my fave young wizards and i think he will become a good player. but i ain't been politickin for his mins. and it's a fact that yall would be riding NY like seabiscut if he played 40 mins per and gave us some of the performances CB has this year. i made a comment about DS being a defensive specialist after complimenting him on his D on lebron. you took that as an opportunity to get a pots shot at NY. just let him be he doesn't even play.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 19, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it nice that the Front Office is now willing to spend the money it takes to bring in a guy like Boykins, when the injuries come.

As I said this Summer, 90% of the NBA is going to end up going over the luxury tax this season so the Wiz might as well go with the flow.

Hopefully, Boykins is able to stick around and fill that need for a quick point that can stay in front of the knats that other teams have. The Wiz have needed that kind of role player for years.

Posted by: SportzWiz | November 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Tell Abe to spend some money!

Posted by: and_1 | November 20, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse