Wizards (2-3) at Pacers (1-3)

Wizards starters: Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young, Caron Butler, Fabricio Oberto, Brendan Haywood

Pacers: T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Dahntay Jones, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert

Line: Pacers by 1.5.

Shaquille O'Neal's hard foul on DeShawn Stevenson has officially been upgraded to a flagrant one penalty foul. O'Neal flattened Stevenson in the second quarter of the Wizards' 102-90 loss in Cleveland on Tuesday, delivering a body shot and a chop to the head that elicited cheers from Cavaliers fans. Stevenson said he landed on his surgically repaired back and received some treatment after developing a "knot" on his shoulder.

"Part of basketball," Stevenson said. "He hit me and I fell straight on my back. I'm alright, though. I think it's just he's a big dude, small dude got fouled."

At halftime, O'Neal apologized to Stevenson for nearly decapitating him. "I known Shaq since the summertime. We hung out a lot," Stevenson said. "Shaq's like that. If he likes you, he apologizes, if not he might say something smart. He apologized. That let me know, it wasn't something serious."

Antawn Jamison said on Friday that he has been progressing as expected but doesn't have a target date for his return. The Wizards estimated that he would be gone four to six weeks from the initial injury, suffered in a preseason game on Oct. 14. Next week would be the fourth week.

"If it was up to me -- you know," Jamison said, without even stating the obvious -- he'd be out there right now. "They just want to make sure it heals. Don't rush anything and make sure it's set in place.

"As far as what I'm doing, I'm going hard. They allowed me to go hard when I work out," he said. "I'm pushing it. rehabbing has been going hard now. We're doing any and everything we want to as far as range of motion. We just make sure we give it the proper time to rest and heal and take it from there. I feel good."

As Jamison was talking, Brendan Haywood walked by and joked, "He's coming back tonight."

Jamison laughed. He added that he has been lifting for two weeks and started participating in non-contract drills. He said he'll wait until the time is right before he returns.

"That's on the training staff. They've done a great job of making me feel back to normal. I've been shooting it with no kind of limitations whatsoever or running and things like that," Jamison said. "I just haven't been able to do any kind of contact. Whenever they allow me to do that, I think it's a go."

Nick Young got his first start of the season after the Wizards lost Mike Miller for what is expected to be another week. Miller sprained his left shoulder in the second half of the Wizards' 93-89 loss to the Heat on Wednesday. He initially left the game to get some treatment and returned to play seven minutes. Coach Flip Saunders said that he has no qualms about putting Miller back in, even though Miller aggravated the injury when he landed on the same shoulder after getting fouled by Miami's Earl Anthony.

"When I'm out there coaching, they just tell me if the guy can play or not," Saunders said. "Like I told our guys at the beginning of the year, I can't judge guys whether they're hurt or not hurt. They have to be able to do that. It was kind of freak type thing in that he probably hurt it more when fell down on it, the second time. If he hadn't fallen down, would he have been okay? I don't know."

Saunders said he already knew that Miller was pretty tough, but that was supported by the fact that Miller came back and still contributed despite the injury. "He made four plays with one arm. The rebound, two assists, the three-point play," he said.

He added that Miller would be missed, since he was averaging 8.4 points and 8.2 rebounds while shooting 56.5 percent from the floor and 60 percent from beyond the three-point line. "It will hurt us a little bit not having, but it's early in the season, so it's a thing that gives other guys opportunities," he said. "I think he'll be back sooner [than the estimated timetable]. The thing is, he can't hurt it any more. It's just a matter of getting the swelling out, getting the soreness. When that's done. he's got pretty good range of motion."

Saunders also explained why he elected to go with Young over Randy Foye, who played well starting at shooting guard last Saturday against New Jersey. "I know what Randy can give us coming off the bench and I thought if you put him in there with other group, you know that he'll not only be able to score but being able to lead us," Saunders said. "I didn't feel comfortable putting all those young guys on the floor at the same time."

Caron Butler has been struggling to get into the flow most of the season, but Saunders said that he expects his two-time all-star forward to find his rhythm again.

"The Cleveland situation, even though he had a good game early, he's matched up against the best player in the league [LeBron James], so offense is almost his second focus," he said. "Last game is one of those situations where you fall behind by 19 and it's like a running team in football and now all of sudden, you've got to starting passing. Gil did some things to try to take over the game and we almost kind of forgot about him at times. We've got to make more of a conscientious effort to get him more shots and not just for him scoring wise, but for him as a playmaker. He averaged four assists last year, so he can do that to."

By Michael Lee  |  November 6, 2009; 6:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Indiana Pacers
Next: Pacers 102, Wizards 86

Comments

Michael, could you correct the Pacers starting lineup? You listed the Heat lineup from Wednesday night by mistake.

Posted by: JekyllnHyde | November 6, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Is there a delay to the game?

Posted by: amorris525 | November 6, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | November 6, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

this is some heinously ugly basketball right now, losing to the pacers would be really disheartening

Posted by: bford1kb | November 6, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Awful, awful, awful, awful

Flip is probably sitting in the locker room wondering what he got himself into. Offense really needs Antawn back - but that's not going to solve everything.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz look absolutely pitful on offense so far, like a bunch of guys who've never seen each other before, much less played together. There's no purpose to their movement.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 6, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

pitiful

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 6, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Hard to express how bad they are playing. Just awful. If they don't get reamed at halftime, well.... Just awful. I almost don't want to watch the second half. Arenas sucks. Caron sucks. Young terrible. McGee terrible. McGuire terrible. Blatche nothing. Foye ok. Haywood ok. Stevenson decent. James is the only player that actually looks like a professional basketball player making good moves and actually trying to get the offense in a
flow.

I'd start James second half. NY's confidence is toast and so is his game. He is a baby.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Disgusting. For those who argue for DMac to replace DS, I don’t know why. He couldn't shoot FT either, couldn't stop Granger, and turned the ball over twice in 6 minutes!

As a team, Wiz seems dazed, do not know what to do, and turned the ball over 13 times in 1st half vs. Indiana's 3. Well, if you give away the ball 10 times more than your opponent, you probably should consider yourself luck down by 12!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I really think the team is wallowing in self pity. They are not playing with any heart. A woe is us mentally right now. Time to man up and put some effort out there. Tire of the lackadaisical bs.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a LONG 7-10 days until Miller recover, because we look HORRIBLE. Man please comeback Miller and Jamison. I'm tired of this 4 on 5 basketball on the offensive end. I'm looking foward to both coming back and I may just mail it in until they then...

Posted by: ATLredskin | November 6, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Is there a law that says we can't run a fast break??? Very few the entire season, but I think it would benefit us now with all the injuries. Not like the set offense is doing anything.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

what's going on? James and Foye are starting? Man, Caron is a turnover machine.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Small ball. I guess it can't be any worse than that disaster we saw the first half.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 6, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

again, there is only one guy you've got to stop, granger, and you can't do it. pathetic. this defense looks just like last year, give up wide open threes. nice.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

would someone please contest an open jump shot? where's the ball movement? same old one pass, catch and shoot in someone's face. not a good sign.

Posted by: thickman22 | November 6, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen Andray Blatche?

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Where are you, NY lovers?
Do you really expect to win a game where NY starts? This guy doesn't even belong in the D-League yet he will be clogging up 3 million of cap space the next 2 years.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

so how'd mike james do? yea... taking the ball away from gil to give it to mike james is so dumb it's incredible it actually happened and where the hell is blatche, this team looks dead

Posted by: bford1kb | November 6, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope we dont play this bad on sunday cause the Suns gonna run us out of the building! This is just sad.....we getting spanked by IDIANA! WOW....this is very sad!

Posted by: rf2litenva | November 6, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope we dont play this bad on Sunday cause ... I'll be there!!!

Posted by: original2cents | November 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

We all have to cheer for Nick Young to play well - so that some deperate team will take him from us before the trade deadline.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to wonder what they are doing during warmups. They're always very slow starting games and that puts them behind the eight ball. I'm starting to think the Dallas game was a fluke. Too sloppy, no flow in the offense, and no defense as usual. This is not good at all...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 6, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god, they really suck! I really do not see any improvement at all! I can not believe they chose this game over the Capitals to show on CSN. That station suck too!

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 6, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Flip looks like he's in shock.

Posted by: VBFan | November 6, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

wow, this is awful. Before tonight, the effort has been great. not tonight. lackluster, indifferent, apathetic. Whatever you want to call it, it is unacceptable, and is reminiscent of year's past. What is gil doing? Is he trying to make a point - that if he isn't assertive they aren't even competitive?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

And what's up with all the missed free throws?!

I'm still gonna remain optimistic because we're still 2-4, unlike last year when we were 1-10. But this team HAS TO start faster!! They can't afford to fall behind 10 points early on.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 6, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

do they even care? wizards look awful. terrible effort tonight.

Posted by: saltine182 | November 6, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Flip has made a bunch of "you suck so f*cking bad, I'm putting this guy in for you" moves. The latest being Paul Davis.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the wiz just yelled UNCLE. Game over, man. Game over!!!

Posted by: original2cents | November 6, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | November 6, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
Yeah, I think the problem is warmups. It's not starting a player in NY that wouldn't belong in the D-League, it's not having your franchise player (the $111 million man) looking all disinterested, it's not having your second best player brick the majority of his jumpshots.... It's none of that, it's gotta be the warmups...

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Nick looked fine in the 1st quarter. Flip can't keep starting Oberto. Having 3 1/2 scorers to start the game is not working. NY, GA, CB can't get open because they don't have to check FO.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | November 6, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope we dont play this bad on Sunday cause ... I'll be there!!!

Posted by: original2cents | November 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________
You don't have to worry about them being this bad. It's all going to be fixed up. Nick Young is going to start again and he will score 40 points and play great defense. Oberto will start playing like his mentor Tim Duncan, he will score 30 points and have 15 rebounds... You will have alot if fun.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"OUR TIME" to win another 19 games. My goodness Indiana makin the Wiz look like a high school team.

Posted by: t-train | November 6, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Four depressing things:

Just awful in every way tonight (well, not Foye shooting and BTH rebounding)

Are Miller and Jamison really able to transform that steaming poop into the playoff team we're expecting?

They will be playing in a morgue on Sunday - and there's no sign that this team can get up for quiet crowds (Atl, Miami on Weds and tonight)

Verizon will be a morgue because people will be watching the horrid Redskins

Ugh, the DC sports torture continues

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

OK everybody listen up. And I really mean LISTEN UP!! As much as everyone in this city is hating on Dan Snyder, guess who is even worst? Abe Pollin. His franchise is terrible. The last 20 years have been terrible. To compensate Unseld Sr, Grunfeld, E. Jordan, Flip Saunders is asinine. Actually , you can tell Saunders is a joke. You talk about stealing checks. Grunfeld is terrible. What is he seeing? Mike James? Stevenson? Alberto? Defense wins in the regular season. It's replicated in the playoffs. Gilbert Arenas is GOSSLY OVERPAID!! SO IS JAMISON AND BUTLER. Tear it up start over. Suck it and accept up your dumb a$$ decisions. Another thing, get rid of Unseld and his son. Why is this guy an NBA assistant coach? Abe you are the problem. Sell this team NOW!!!! Goes to show as an athlete. If you want to get paid, go to DC and live the good life. Screw the fans...

Posted by: jimmyragler29 | November 6, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

GOOD:

1/ Haywood shows up again. Only positive constant so far this year......

BAD:

1/ Gilbert game?? Where did it go..???

2/ Caron game was very uneventful. I did not even know he scored 20 points.

3/ NY looks like a lost cause now. He never attempts to attack the basket. He is very passive and only depends on his "pull the string" jumper.

4/ DMac too many turnovers and missed open jumpers. Also did not hang with Granger too well. I am surprised at that.

5/ Too many Turnovers and missed Freethrows......!!!!!

6/ Where is AB...?? Again shows "flashes" and then disappears. Still like his game though.

***Overall, Man do I now see how valuable AJ's 20 and 10 are now. There should not be anymore AJ haters anymore on this blog.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

16 ASt 19 TO = Another Loss

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

33dgriffin,

3 1/2 starters might just cause you to start slow. I would be inclined to start McGee. Think it would help McGee, change his mindset and give us 4 1/2 starters.

Thats some handle you got.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz played like a team that just found out their best player's wife is having an affair with a certain center of a rival team!
Cue "The Butler Did It" music.

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 6, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

First, as bad as this game was it was all on the offensive end. Do you guys even watch the game? The Pacers shot 40%!!!! 30% from 3 pt range!!! It just seems worse bc when you can't score worth a damn any shot they make is magnified.

Fast break pts 6-23. Pathetic!

-Arenas' shot selection is atrocious to go along with the whole offense.

-Mike James actually was the crispest player on the court. He deserved to start the second half.

-I just don't get anything they are trying to do on offense. A lot or way too many dump downs in the paint to Haywood, which is always an adventure. Stagnant does not begin to cover it.

- Can we not run? It's like we are a station to station team on offense. Get some easy buckets! I think we got a total of 0 easy shots tonight.

-Finally, honestly, Arenas played like he didn't care. Is he hitting an early season wall from being out so long? I don't know, but if he keeps playing like this we will be struggling to make the playoffs.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I recorded the game, haven't watched it yet....but I think something's distracting/bothering Gilby.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

-If NY doesn't start to take his career seriously, he will not be in the league much longer.

-Andre Blatche sets the worst picks I've ever seen!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Four depressing things:

Just awful in every way tonight (well, not Foye shooting and BTH rebounding)

Verizon will be a morgue because people will be watching the horrid Redskins

Ugh, the DC sports torture continues

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________
Now the expectation is to make the playoffs (with 3 all stars???). It's no longer contending I guess.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

It would be both sad and disgusting if Gilby's baby is in Laura and Shaq is hitting it during the pregnancy.

I know I've been hard on Gilby, but no man deserves that kind of BS if it is true.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering what the hell you guys were talking about. What? Normally I wouldn't believe that crap, but that is exactly how he played. Totally out of the game. Almost makes me feel better, but, if true, sure not Arenas. Dude, she's ugly in those pics. Arenas and/or Shaq could do much better I am sure.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Agree with you, however, how can you possibly tear the team up? This is the NBA and contracts are guaranteed and most of those stiffs are on long term expensive contracts. We can only get rid of them if we take back similar bad contracts.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

33dgriffin,

Thats some handle you got.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________
Yeah, I think that's the problem right there. We didn't start McGee. I hope Flips starts him Sunday. Him and the 40 points we'll get from NY will do it. That's totally gonna transform this team into contenders.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

- Suns looked great! Dragic looks like a faster slightly bigger version of Nash. Where the hell did he come from?

- Cruising league pass. The stands are empty everywhere.

- Gallinari is a player!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

You cannot make a point guard out of your star player especially if he is really a shooting guard and one of the best in the League.

Gilberts talent has quite a few believing that it is OK for him to play point.

It is not going to work. Gilbert can control the ball, but he has to do it from the two with the mindset that it is his job to blow the other Team out of the Gym.

He cannot be the point guard set up guy. He is the star of this Team and he is a shooting guard.

He has to play with the mindset of rivaling Kobe, Wade, James, and the top shooting guards who played the game.

That is Gilbert Arenas's niche. Gilbert is not an Oscar Robertson, or an Majic Johnson, or an Chancey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash, or an Chris Paul.

Gilbert Arenas is Agent Zero, The Hibatchi, The Assassin, in the mode of Kobe, Wade, James and Michael Jordan.

FORGETABOUT' this point guard crap, ya heard me.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721

I don't think Arenas is a point guard. Other than the Mavs and Nets games, he's looked like a 2-guard playing point. I don't think Gil can consistently run a conventional NBA offense (as opposed to the Princeton offense, where, according to him, he'd make one pass and move to a spot for a shot). Obviously, I'd love to be wrong on that point, but he hasn't shown he can do it consistently.
I think the team will regret not picking up the option of Crit, a big point guard that would allow Gil to move to his natural position of 2-guard on offense, while Crit could guard the opposing 2-guard on defense. I'm in no way making Crit out to be the second coming of Magic Johnson, but Gil's huge contract means Gil's not going anywhere. The Wiz should put him in the best position to succeed.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 6, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Gilberts talent has quite a few believing that it is OK for him to play point.

FORGETABOUT' this point guard crap, ya heard me.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
Arenas can't even defend point guards, how do you suggest he defends Kobe, Wade, Roy, Carter....as a 2-guard?

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: t-train | November 6, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
I have seen high school players better than Young and Oberto.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | November 6, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Well at least DS is consistent:

15 mins, 2pts, 1stl, 1TO (which negates that steal). He's earning his money...riiiight

Blatche still doing his 'Copperfield' act

Now all the gossip blogs saying Shaq boning Gil's babymama for the past 5 years; He probably got a million hits telling him that. He played like he was somewhere else.

All those turnovers and no one holding on to the ball, was Carlos Rogers coaching tonite?

Throw in Ovie hurt and the Skins headed for the iceberg

What a sports town we are...as the Junks would say 'This is a DEBACLE'

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 6, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

@kahlua87
The Capitals won. That is the only real team in town.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

lol...where are you guys coming up with this Gil's not a PG crap? He has been a PG his whole career. Maybe not a conventional PG, but a PG nonetheless. I think you got to give this team 25 games before we make too many rash judgements, but this game was god awful.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"I came hard about this the last game and I am going to give you all a little bit more.

Gilberts talent has quite a few believing that it is OK for him to play point.

FORGETABOUT' this point guard crap, ya heard me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse "

Dude, you need to get over yourself. You have no reasoning ability or logic. You just talk hype just to talk.

Gilby when he was jacking the ball up nonstop, Les BouleS still couldn't get out of the first round.

Put this in your head. Gilby is good for about 30 pts/game when he's on. Guess what? Teams usually score around 85-100 pts per game.

This team is not just about Gilby. It requires a team effort.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I think this year, refs allowed a lot of hands stripping the ball without calling fouls. Somewhat, when Wiz don't get the call, they got frustrated, and then they just totally lost their focus, and throw everything out the window. There is just no excuse, since Indiana has several players injured too.

As I predicted, this gonna be a long couple of weeks. Fortunately, Wiz only play 4 games in two weeks. Hopefully, by Nov. 18 against Cleveland, we can see both Jamison and Miller.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Jump off the wagon why you can. I am staying on. Flip will figure it out. Cleveland's 3-3 with no one injuries. They look scary bad. All that money on away past his prime center to try and get the NBA's King a ring. You guys laughing at Ernie. Ferry's going to be the laughing stock of the NBA by midseason with this team pitiful looking team. At one point in the CHigao game they had Shaq, Varejo and Ilgaskus on the floor at the same time. That has to be the slowest most unathletic 3 in the NBA. LeBron looked like he was out there playing with an over 40 league.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 6, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

hmmm. Listened to part of the 1st half on radio and knew it was already over. Without even seeing the action, it was clear there was no effort.

Funny post above about warm ups being the issue, obviously this is not it. I can say though that when I saw them against the Heat I was scratching my head watching warm ups. They were literally making about 50% of their shots...uncontested of course. It was a little scary. I had never seen that before at an NBA game. Just a symptom of something greater.

I personally see no correlation between effort and players being out injured. Virtually everyone I know is working in an understaffed environment these days and have only doubled their efforts to compensate and to also ensure their own employment. Pretty troubling to see folks making the sums these players are and not laying it all out.

What has happened that has sapped the life from this team in such short order? Certainly does not bode well. I never made a prediction for the year, feel it is rather silly, but clearly the team is underachieving now.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 6, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Dealing with people is a funny thing sometimes. I know a guy that has a mouth so bad that he always put people off and scared them away.

If you asked him to do something that needed to be done he would flat out curse you out and give you bigtime grief.

However, I found out that this same guy was one of the hardest working guys around and he would work when others were home sleeping to get whatever needed to be done, accomplished.

I often think of this guy when I am on this blog because there is one blogger here that is the most obnoxious, insult hurling, shoot from below the belt scoundrel, just like this guy.

This same guy wanted a position that he would have been good at, but he did not get it because most of the people did not know that behind all of the insults he was really a great guy and really was the best candidate for the position.

The blogger here that I am referring to, when you really read his posts actually does know a thing or two and more.

But, I wonder how many bloggers miss your points DC_Man88 because you are such a tough son of a gun.

That was a valuable lesson I learned about my friend DC_Man88. I pass it on to you.

I know that my friend wanted that position badly and he felt terribly wronged when he did not get it. But, it was not his loss, it was the organizations loss for they never knew how good this guy really was.

It was only the few that really knew him or shall I say the few that really check out your posts.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2009 10:58 PM

My friend. Google NBA shooting guards and you will find that NBA.com has Gilbert Arenas as one of the top active shooting guards in the League to this very day. He has not always been designated as the point guard.

This point guard is actually being disignated just this year.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I always thought that you start games with your best five.

No matter what criteria you are using, you have to start with your best five.

If your best five is not starting, then you run the risk of falling behind.

I question whether Oberto and Young should be starting.

Having somebody for the second Team means nothing if you are always in the hole.

Put your best five on the floor at each position and you might find out that the second Team is not an issue.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah what goes around................. fired Eddie Jordan after ten games last year even though he took this team to the playoffs without it's best player(Arenas)the year before and then forced this fan base to suffer through one it's worst seasons in the history of this franchise then the so called "GM" goes out and hires Flip and then gets Flip help that he didn't even attempt to get Eddie Jordan yeah i'm gonna sit back and watch this train wreck and all of you who lambasted Jordan and thought Grunfeld was right in firing Jordan, and now what? they don't have any offensive continuity and don't talk about injuries because Jordan had more than his share so let's see what Flip can do yeah this is gonna be good can't wait and with Phoenix comming to town Sunday can you say four loses in a row.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

This team is not just about Gilby. It requires a team effort.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2009 11:05 PM

There is no way that a player like Gilbert Arenas should be trying to play like Chauncey Billups.

It ain't him, It ain't gonna work.

And the last time I checked when Gilby was throwing up 30 ppg they were the best in the East and then Eddie Jordan decided he wanted to change that and play defense the second half of the season and they barely made the playoffs.

You gotta come better than that DC_Man88 and forget about the insults while you at it, too.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag,

Do you really think Grunfeld controls the purse strings of the Wiz?

Do you really think Ernie was the one insisting on not paying a luxury tax all these years?

I understand your argument about Eddie being unjustly fired, but Grunfeld didn't hire Eddie. Abe did. Grunfeld brought in his own guy and if it doesn't work he will have cleared a path for his own dismissal.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 6, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

@Dargregmag,

Even though Gilbert is playing out of position and things look dire right now, this Wizard Team is going to do just fine.

And the only train wreck you gonna see is Teams wondering how they keep get beaten by this Team.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Having the ball in Gilberts hands 80% of the time is a mistake. He is a shoot first guard. Start Foye and let he and Gil split the guard duties.

Brendan was a beast tonight. Where is this coming from. Oh I forgot. Contract year. But I'm not complaining. Glad he finally understands that he's a BIG man ... or he finally gets how a big man should play.

Posted by: original2cents | November 7, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah, you are right that it requires a team effort and that is why you must take the point duties away from Gilbert and give them to a point guard.

It ain't him, It ain't gonna work.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 6, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse "

Please dude.

Everybody knows that Gilby isn't going to give up handles on the ball.

And, get your your "best in the east" BS. As I've said many times, that season ended with Les BouleS barely hanging on to playoff hopes. It's not just about what you do in the regular season. It's about what you do in the playoffs.

Me talking to you is like an adult talking to a child. You are like Forrest Gump on this blog.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Larry ... I think when the wiz were the best in the east, Jamison went down and the team fell apart.

I think when Miller comes back, and there is another facilitator on the floor, the offense will flow better. Right now, of the starters, you facilitators are Gil and Oberto. God bless Oberto. Good luck getting the ball from Gil.

Gil will pass the ball early on, but you better make your shots, or he might not be inclined to keep giving it to you.

Posted by: original2cents | November 7, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

@Dargreg,

Your posts are trite and tired. EJ blah blah blah EG blah blah blah. I can't read more than 3 words of them anymore. Lame.

@Larry,

I could care less that NBA.com has GA listed as a SG. He has been the PG for the WW for what 5 years now. You disputing that fact? Now whether you would like to see him play SG is another story and a grave mistake bc he is not a pure SG either. In time, Flip will get the ship headed in the right direction. He had success with Marbury at the PG position for crying out loud. I think we've seen some good and bad thus far and it's still way too early for any assessment although tonight they played some god awful basketball on offense.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 7, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

"Also, everyone knows that Gilby can't guard any of the 2's in the league which most of them are much bigger and more athletic than he is."

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

@Larry,

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 7, 2009 12:12 AM

You should care because it is no coincidence that Gilbert is at his best when there is another guard on the floor who he can interchange with to handle the point duties.

And yes I am disputing the fact that he has been the point for the Wizs, for if he had NBA.com would never have him listed on the list of the best active shooting guards.

Arenas may be named as the point for the Wizards but he has really excelled as a shooting guard. The NBA has recognized that Gilbert is a shooting guard and have ranked him as such.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

"88'er for that matter, he dosen't do such a good job guarding the one's either. So, it is a wash. But, if I have a point guard on my Team that is 6' 5" that can handle that position, you best believe it would be better to have him play the point.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse "

Not so simple...

Not all PG's in the league are good scorers. PG's also have value in handling the ball and setting up the team.

Most SG's in the league can score and are very athletic.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

You are like Forrest Gump on this blog.
Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2009 12:06 AM