Wizards (4-9) at Heat (9-5)

Wizards starters: Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood

Heat: Mario Chalmers, Dwyane Wade, James Jones, Michael Beasley, Jermaine O'Neal

Line: Heat by 7

Caron Butler tested his sore right ankle in shootaround and is set to give it a go after missing Tuesday's game against Philadelphia. It will be just the fourth time this season that the Wizards can put Butler, Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas on the floor together.

"It helps us because we need to get our main guys to play together and get into a rhythm. It's been one of those things that either Antawn was hurt so much and we get going, and then Caron sits out," Coach Flip Saunders said. "We just need those guys to play together, because where want to get, all three are going to have to play together and play well together."

I came across an incredible statistic this afternoon. Gilbert Arenas has never defeated Dwyane Wade head-to-head in the NBA. He's 0-19, losing 15 times in the playoffs and four more times in the 2005 playoffs. Arenas hasn't had much success against the Heat in his career, winning just one game on Dec. 15, 2006. Wade sat out that game. All time, the Wizards are 10-34 in Miami.

It got lost in all of the emotion surrounding the Wizards' victory against Philadelphia on the night Abe Pollin passed, but reserve center JaVale McGee had a career-high six blocked shots in 14 minutes against the 76ers. McGee has had nine blocks in the past two games against Philadelphia and San Antonio, giving Saunders more confidence in using him earlier in games.

"He's gotten it here over the last couple of weeks. He's played with energy and he's played under control," Saunders said. "He's a play changer. Not a lot of guys you can put in this league that have the ability to change plays. he can erase mistakes that guys make around the basket that guys make defensively and he can do a lot of things as far as controlling the paint. He blocked Tony Parker's shot. Tony kind of looked around like, 'Where'd that guy come from?' "

McGee said he is learning the art the shot blocking, which will allow him to reject and alter more shots, without getting called for so many goaltending. "It's timing and knowing when to jump, not too early and not too late, just at the right time," McGee said. "I want to block some shots that are above the rim, and some of them will be blocks, but I feel like the refs will call it as a goal tend so I just don't even try it."

McGee said he used to study great shot blockers like Hakeem Olajuwon, but he stopped "because they were more old school. Like, they'd be there early or hands straight up, like that. I just started trying to figure it out myself."

By Michael Lee  |  November 27, 2009; 6:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Miami Heat
Next: Wizards 94, Heat 84

Comments

This game and season comes down to Gil and its all about his movements. Its part physical & mental. He cant play slow like he did against Philly. Even if he wants to fall back for awhile and tell all the other guys to be aggressive, that doesnt mean that he shouldnt play fast. Even if you just set out to mostly pass, you still can do it at a fast pace like Kidd. He was the slowest guard on the court against Philly and he's played like that in half our games or more. I want to see him pick up his tempo because there is no way you can play slow and try to pick it up at key times.

He plays slow and then wonders why he cant finish at the rim or anything. Its because your not getting off the ground. Its not just about the injury because he was playing with alot of burst & lift in our first few games. Some of it is mental and he has to get it figured out. If he figures it out then we are on a different level than the Heat. We should also get Caron going good this game. Jones is far too skinny to guard him. I think Wade will try to go after NY so hopefully his D is good like last game. Even if it sucks though, I hope he can atleast try to get it back on O and make Wade work. He's capable of doing that if he's not intimidated

Posted by: dlts20 | November 27, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a link to where I can watch the game online!?

Posted by: earlech | November 27, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

NY leads the team with 4 assists in the first quarter.

Posted by: cannontl | November 27, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I just came to say that...I can't remember the last time Nick had 4 assists in a game let alone a quarter...good to see.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 27, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Halftime observations:
Nick is unquestionably getting more confident as he is making quicker decisions with the ball and is starting to win his isolation battles.
Brendan looks a step slow again tonight but is doing a good job on the boards.
McGee is bothering O'Neal.
If the Wiz lose this game they'll have to look no further than their FT shooting.

Posted by: and_1 | November 27, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I have not ben come on here in about 2 weeks, but are people calling for Boykins to start??? Because if not then I will start the chant...

Posted by: ATLredskin | November 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

coming*

Posted by: ATLredskin | November 27, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Jamison extends the lead to 14 with 3 and change left and thats what we call the dagger. Big win for the Wizards tonight. Fended off all the runs that Miami made.

Nick Young dominated Dwyane Wade on both ends tonight.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 27, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason for Boykins to start, he is fine coming in off the bench.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 27, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason for Jamison to shoot that three that early in the shot clock with the lead!

Posted by: and_1 | November 27, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

To everyone that laughed at me such as kalomara when I said a few weeks ago that Young can play Wade and his length gives him trouble I accept your apology.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

How about that. The Wiz beat Miami and Gil doesn't get off the bench in the fourth quarter.

Posted by: cannontl | November 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice job by Flip tonight recognizing that Chalmers was giving Arenas the blues in the second half. Miami's second-half adjustment was obviously to attack Gil and they did a damn good job of it. If Boykins had not come in and played well there's no telling how this would have turned out.
Are the Wiz really in the midst of a two-game winning streak?!

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Flip is adjusting. He seems to be using a good number of his players.

He does not appear to be sour atall that he sits and others do well.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Just in case you guys forgot.

Again-Put Nick or Dom on him. Their length bothers Wade.
Posted by: ptp23 | November 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Some people just don't get it. If Foye got bodied down low...WHAT DO YOU THINK HE'S GOING TO DO TO YOUNG? He would put that little scrawny boy in the basket WITH the ball.
Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 10, 2009 1:35 PM
Their length bothers Wade."
Wade is at or near the top of the league among guards for both dunks and blocks. So I'm pretty sure length doesn't bother him all that much.
Posted by: kalo_rama | November 10, 2009 1:39 PM |
Do the research before you say dumb stuff like put Nick on him.
Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 10, 2009 11:44 AM

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

One thing when Boykins is in the game you're not nervous that he will turn it over like Gil and he is money from the line in the fourth quarter.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@ptp,

Certainly NY has the ability to do a lot of things, but will he work and focus and be consistent. I thought the Philly game was the best all around game I've even seen him play. Well, tonight you can put this win against Miami in Miami on NY's shoulders. Best game of his career. I think Wade got to the basket about twice the entire game and shot 4 foul shots. That is amazing defense.

I've given FS the business for a couple of games where his strategy and lineups just didn't seem to make sense to me. Unconventional things like Boykins, Arenas, Foye on the court at the same time. Too much Oberto and DS when we were struggling on offense etc... But, I think he is learning the team himself. Tonight was a perfect 10. McGee got just the right amount of mins. Young got a ton of minutes as he deserved. Arenas sits the 4th bc he did not outplay Boykins tonight. Blatche was solid again and he and Young were in the game during crunch time. Who would have thought that would happen? Great game that goes to show this season may be a roller coaster thus far, but the season is far from over.
As the greatest analyst in the history of the NBA said (Hubie Brown in case you live in a cave...lol), wait til January bc this team is going to be tough to handle.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Gerald Wallace gave LeBron a nice poster. Wonder if Nike will try to confiscate the tape.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 9:34 PM

PTP23,

What you have recognized is an intangible that comes from just playing the game. Young has been villified on this post, but it is apparent now that what Young knows best is just playing some ball.

It is emblematic of what I have been saying all along. Just put them out on the floor and let them swim or sink.

Too often we have assumed that players will sink and we really don't give them a chance.

It looks like Flip is going away from that approach and it appears to be working.

The only way I know for players to earn playing time is to let them play.

I just don't get how knowledgeable posters like Kalo_rama just don't seem to understand that.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Tonight was clearly a BTH night.

Not from his stats/play, but by his philosophy of "it doesn't matter who gets how many points, rebs, etc...as long as we win."

Both Caron and Gilby didn't do much, and the team was carried by the stats guy and NY.

Who's screaming for Eminem now? Too many cooks might just spoil the broth.

One thing that I must say is that DWade is one reckless offensive player. He didn't used to be like this, but he is now.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, where is the poster that likes to deride EG with one claim being that NY was a terrible pick who belongs in the D league. Where are you donkey? Any guy that has the talent to do what he did tonight is not a terrible pick late in the first round. No way no how! NY is not the starting SG until further notice and that is great to see.

The DNP's and recent inactive designation might be the catalysts that jump start NY's career. He looks like a totally different player. FS sucks as a coach right DarGreg?

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Hubie Brown made also a telling comment about this Team. He said despite the injuries and the fact that it takes time for all the things to gell with any Team, but one thing for sure about the Wizards is that when they play good, they are Very Good.

I don't think that is homer talk coming from Hubie.

Go Wizards.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I remember a couple of days ago a certain "person" said I must be on hallucinogens for calling Mr. Bokins "a pure point guard"..... (lol). Man oh man that is funny.

I guess the mushrooms that I have been eating in my salads must be really clouding my basketball smarts. I might want to stop eating on those things because next thing you know I might be saying "Lebron is overrated".......

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young, good game. Do it consistently and i'll sing your praises. You're 2 for 2 so far...

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"NY is not the starting SG until further notice and that is great to see."

If he keeps this up MM is a sixth man for sure.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah. GO BULLETS!

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Young did not get on the floor to be allowed to sink or swim. He kept working hard. FS said in the last several practices, NY was the best player on the floor.

That is a major reason he got to play. He earned it.

Posted by: cannontl | November 27, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

@Larry,

Have to disagree. NY was been given plenty of opportunity to "just play" and has largely failed. Particularly with anything to do with all-around basketball when he has every tool necessary. FS did just the opposite. He basically told NY, if you want to play, you play defense, you play within the offense, and you play like you care every night. And, now, he has *earned* the right to start at SG, which has made him a much improved player at least for two game. That was an all-star caliber performance tonight!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | November 27, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Who's up next? Two in row baby. I can feel something in my gut.

Flip Saunders and his co-horts seem to be up to the task.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Ed: "NY is now the starting PG until further notice."

Sure that was an obvious typo, but still bugs me especially when it is copied...lol.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Oljakers - I agree, but watch out calling Mr. Bokins a "point guard" around here, because certain people (i.e. Kal) will say you are on hallucinogens. Those mushrooms taste pretty good though, don't they..???

Lastly, kudo's to Flip for letting Bokins finish out the quarter and not just sticking Gil in because he is the highest paid player. That move sent a major message to the team that Flip is "running this ship" and not the players....... Good job Flip....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

"I'll say it again, Gilbert Arenas is a push. He makes a team no better or worse. He is NOT a point guard and, unless Sam Cassell can work a miracle, he never will be. Earl Boykins IS a point guard. I like him coming off the bench, but-- considering Flips offensive , point guard driven, philosophy--i think it's worth trying him at the start and Arenas at the 2. Of course, i don't know if it would work, but i think you have to try it. Take the pressure of learning the point guard position off of Arenas and allow him to be a slasher and shooter, which is his natural game.

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse "

Finally we get to see what we've been hearing about in past practices in how NY tears Gilby a new one every time they play one on one.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Who's up next? Two in row baby. I can feel something in my gut.

Flip Saunders and his co-horts seem to be up to the task.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Charlotte. Since they got Steven Jackson, they are playing well. Beat Cavaliers in Cleveland tonight. Shaq is back. Looks about 400 lbs.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

NY is earnings his minutes with BOTH his offense and defense. The last two games he's been assigned the top scorer on Philly & Miami and forced them out of their rhythm. I also liked that he also set up other guys for open looks and took his shots without dribbling. It may not hurt us as much as I thought with Miller coming off the bench when he comes back.

Not impressed with Arenas who appears to have no confidence in his 3-point shot and couldn't stay on front of Chalmers. Boykins is looking like he runs the offense better and is more of a compliment to Butler and Jamision. For those who like to rip Jamision on this blog, how many double doubles is that since he returned? No way the Wiz could beat Cleveland or Miami without him.

Great to break that 0-6 streak against Miami early in the year. Big game tomorrow night against Charlotte who looked good beating Cleveland.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 27, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

A great win!! Seeing Young play D like that and hit shots is surprising and absolutely astounding.

The bigs all played about the right amount of minutes and played well.

Boykins? amazing! But I disagree with those who say start him. Flip should continue to use Boykins as a second and fourth quarter back-up. Long term this team wins nothing with him as a starter. This gives Gil time to find his game. He has been trying to carry the team via a new role while learning a new system and getting his legs baack and it has not worked. My hope is that Flip, Cassell and Boykins can show Gil how to play the point and we can really cruise down the road.

BTW- don't forget: we need to hit free throws. It was horrible watching those bricks. But why did we overcome that problem? Let's not forget that this team actually contests shots now! The defense is probably the biggest change.

Lastly, isn't Hubie Brown the best! Every comment is spot on and adds to the enjoyment of the game. He described the early struggles of this team as injuries, a new coach, a new system. He said we will be tough in January if we have no more injuries.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | November 27, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Ed: "NY is now the starting PG until further notice."

Posted by: rphilli721

lol. We understood what you meant.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

BulletsFever

Amen. I think the "star" of this team has been putting all of his money in the pockets of his game shorts... He just doesn't seem to jump as high

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I tell you what is nice is now we are starting to see the embarrassment of riches this team potentially has. Oberto sits. DS sits. Arenas sits the entire 4th quarter. And, we basically controlled the game the entire time. Add in Miller being out and Butler having another sub par game yet we win by double digits on the road?! Nice.

Which makes me think FS has to be more open with rotations. Find out who is hot on a particular night and ride that player. If there is a bigger crafty veteran going off on the other team who is not terribly athletic, play Oberto. Same spot duty with a DS or a few of our guys. Would like to see Foye find his niche too. MM might be the traditional 6th man when he gets healthy if NY keeps this up. Just nice problems to have as we gradually improve.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

RPHilli721,

Don't take what you said as disagreeing at all. In fact what you said I absolutely agree with you.

But still, Flip put him out there with the instructions and observations that you point out.

You see, it is apparent that Flip is setting the rules of the playground, whereas before, the playground rules had no meaning atall.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Flip give Young a couple of plays in the post. He already has the fade away and at 6'6" he'll have no problem getting it off. Also. I think they should go to Blatche more on the post and he needs to not shoot that fadeaway when he has the height advantage.Overall though, Blatche I feel has been doing a nice job. Not making those crazy fouls and crazy turnovers. Shot and rebounding is more consistent as well.
Brandon Jennings come to town next Wednesday.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Butler forced a few tonight as well but he actually took and made a few catch-and-shoot jumpers. A beautiful sight.
WRT the Bobcats, they're starting to get some confidence after winning three straight so I expect the game to come down to the wire tomorrow. And Gil better watch out when Gerald Wallace is flying around!
Dom might be the only guy we have who matches up with him so, like Nick on Tuesday, he might be brushing off his jersey tomorrow (after a defensive stop though).

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stanlong23 | November 27, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Stanlong23/Bmore - Agreed. One mistake the Wiz may have made was letting Hoopla walk. Those free throws are really going to catch up with them sooner or later.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Got a chance to peek at the Cavs.vs.Cats,Gerald Wallace and Stephon Jackson are a force they had LaTravel in foul trouble(five before the start of 4th qtr.)you know he didn't foul out but they beat the Cavs we'll see how the Bullets handle the Cats, DJ Augustine is an excellent point guard and Brendan's whipping boy(Tyson Chandler)now plays for the Bobcats this should be very interesting.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 27, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@Stan,

Absolutely agree with your post 100%!!!

Boykins has been a largely great pick up, but lets not forget his few sinkers as well with blocked shots, sloppy turnovers etc... He is not immune, but is a great change of pace and as you say a great bridge until GA's game comes around. I'm of the opinion that GA's game is still more physical than he is letting on.

Why:

He never has turned the ball over like this and he has always been a ball hog.

He has never had his shot blocked so frequently.

He has never missed so many open shots.

He has never been so poor at finishing at the rim.

That is called no being the same physically after three knee surgeries and being out two years. A lot of these things will improve I believe over the course of this season and into next. If not, he might have to learn to be a craftier player ala Sam Cassell. But, honestly, I don't believe for a second it has to do with him being a PG in Flip's system. How hard is it to dribble down the court and make the first pass in a set offense? Not very. He needs more time to recover!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@Dargreg,

Some nice points for once without any EG bashing or EJ reminiscing. Nice!

@Larry,

Well, that's good! lol But, your post came off as "just play the young guys and let them play through mistakes no matter what." But, McGee and NY keep playing the *right* way and I'll want them to get their mins every game (McGee was just ok tonight, but last game should have played 5/6 more mins).

Thankfully, Blatche is finally off my radar as a guy you have to worry about contributing. He has contributed something virtually every game this season. Kudos! I am a firm believer in 7 day Dre now.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Carmello might get 60 tonight. Has almost 40 in hte third quarter in a close game with the Knicks

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Seven Footer behind the back dribble penetration, up for the shot, fake, pass of to fellow seven footer for two handed dunk.

Wow!

Hubie Brown was thoroughly impressed. So was I. ESPN highlights for reel baby.

Blatche and Haywood playing together, Blatche and McGee playing together.

Anybody miss small and slow ball.

Hallelujah!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh..how about the behind the back move by Blatche in the paint with the flip pass to BH for the dunk? That play typifies his talent level for a 6 11 guy. Of course, it's gotten him in trouble before too, but he has gotten much more selective in those sorts of plays.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"Butler forced a few tonight as well but he actually took and made a few catch-and-shoot jumpers.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse "

Calm down...

Caron took 9 shots in the game....made 4 and had 7 rebs. He's been shooting way below his average so far this season.

It's still comical that Gilby called him out.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

"Don't give up on Gil. He will play well again and likely be a force for the Wiz in the future."

He can't when he's on the bench for the ENTIRE 4th quarter.

I dunno about you guys, but it really says something to me when a guy who didn't even have a team like 3 weeks ago comes in off if the street and runs a team better then the guy making 100 mil.

I remember before Gil got hurt a lot of TV commentators felt that Arenas said he was "too selfish," "not a team player," "couldn't be a leader," and then he got hurt and they gave him all of that money.

Even more telling was his satement this past week about "going back to the old Gil."

If he is sincere then he should watch what Boykins does WHEN HE DOES NOT HAVE THE BALL. What makes him so good is that he passes the ball, finds the open spot, and then gets it back and shoots.

Gil just stands around and forces up shots from anywhere on the floor.

I know it's early, but it ain't working with Gil and I don't ever see D.Wade sitting the bench during the 4th quarter...like ever.

"I also like the smile on Gilberts face when he congratulates the players coming off the floor."

But shouldn't he be one of the guys coming off the floor? I mean seriously.

Hey, congrats to NY. I have been hard on him here and while he still has his moments he has been improving.

And it kills me so many people want to trade Jamison on here when all the guy does is show up to play every night.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 27, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Behind the back dribble, quick feed to Haywood= highlight reel. No. 7 shines on SC tonight. Kid put in the work during the off-season, he's a different player this year.

Tomorrow night? Hard fouls= W

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Ray,

You're a freekin' genius... and that's a fact

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"Ray,

You're a freekin' genius... and that's a fact"

Sweet! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 27, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

"I remember a couple of days ago a certain "person" said I must be on hallucinogens for calling Mr. Bokins "a pure point guard"….."

And you should really lay off of them, because they're making you say ridiculous things.

Boykins had a great game, but he's still not, never has been, and never will be a pure PG. Hubie Brown said it several times during the game: Boykins is a scorer in the NBA. That's the basis of his game, and that's how opponents game plan for him. Can he use that in his favor to draw defensive attention and then move the ball to an open man? Sure. But that simply makes him a SG with good court sense. Iverson has had at least 6 or 7 seasons where he averaged 7 or more APG. Does that make him a "pure" PG? Of course not. So Boykins having one game where he dishes out 9 dimes sure as hell doesn't make him one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 27, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The NBA: Where you can get a nickname like 'Toughjuice', when all you do is play perimeter offense and let defenders blow by you.

Posted by: awb9h | November 27, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

"Boykins had a great game, but he's still not, never has been, and never will be a pure PG."

And yet he's running the team better then the guy making 100 mil who sits the bench in the 4th.

In Flips offense he is a good PG, and 9 assists is pretty darn good for any PG.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 27, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

And Nick Young's play is exhibit A in the counter argument to the idea that guys can only get better by playing and don't learn anything by sitting and watching. If you don't think that time on the bench helped him get his head right (and really, that's always been the only thing holding him back from success) then you need to take another look. I'm a long-view kind of guy, so a two-game sample isn't enough to declare he's finally gotten it, but he seems to at least have his head pointed in the right direction.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 27, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"In Flips offense he is a good PG, and 9 assists is pretty darn good for any PG."

Boykins is a good player who had great game. But Arenas has had 9 assists games before. Did that Make him a pure PG? Nope. Same with Iverson.

Boykins is what he is, and what he is can help the Wizards, but he's not Stockton or Nash, and there's nothing to be gained by pretending otherwise.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 27, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Good timing on those posts Larry! lol

I guess we have to put up with the hiccup games for a while, but nights like tonight are why I get so pissed with our play in the OKC and SA games. We are so much better than those performances. Then, you also have to put up with the pessimistic posters after every one of those types of games. Fire EG, Fire FS, GA is terrible, D-league Young, our draft picks suck, Curse Les Boulez...yada yada. I can be critical but I don't lose all perspective as many do!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

"The guy making the most money in the building should not be on the bench in the 4th quarter.

Gil just stands around and forces up shots from anywhere on the floor.

But shouldn't he be one of the guys coming off the floor? I mean seriously.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 27, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse "

The shocking thing wasn't that Gilby was on the bench in the 4th quarter.

The not so shocking thing was that the team didn't need him to win.

Gilby with the -4 and Earl the Pearl with the +14.

MeTawn shows up every night to play offense.....defense? Not so much.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Wiz game on NBA TV tomorrow night

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

This team will NEVER win a championship with a Gilbert Arenas who resembles the one we once knew (selfish, arrogant, streaky). It could one day compete for one with a new and improved, humbler, team oriented, G. Arenas. Does such a player exist? Not likely, but one can hope

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@Kal,

You sir are absolutely 100% correct about Boykins. Well said.

@Ray,

Boykins coming off the street totally healthy after missing 3 games to start the season is not such an in depth knock on GA. Why is it so hard for you guys to figure out that he doesn't have his legs back yet? He missed two years. He needs more time before any long term prognostications can be made and any conclusions at the moment are premature at best.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Is that all you think a point guard does???

Posted by: bpybay | November 27, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

this is what we needed to see!

Kind of game that makes EG look like a genius. Yes we all want to win NOW.

but look at the talent level of AB, NY, Javale...all 3 showed why they were drafted tonight!

Enough of the "Mcgee only plays well in spurts" too, kid is earning every minute on the floor.

AB actually looks like a seasoned pro, if this is how he plays now- the sky is the limit. Looks like he finally gets it.

NY did things other than score, which made him effective during the few stretches his shot was off etc- so he stayed on the floor.

Caron was terrible for 75% of the game, but then hit the catch-and-shoots in the 4th. Hopefully he sees that as his role.

And what to say about AJ? I hope all the haters saw the stat: active players to score 17k w/6k rebs- TimVP, Shaq, KG, Dirk, and ANTAWN. The Man for this team, and he is great on the floor with the youngns.

AJ at 3 works with AB at 4.

Last- Gil played fine and controlled, let him build on that each game and bring him back slowly. By the post-AS break wait and see where he's at....

Pistons were the "no star" team and that's what we looked like tonight. Good stuff, and now Flip hopefully sees how deep the rotation can be

Posted by: divi3 | November 27, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: divi3 | November 27, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse"

Hey Kool-Aid man...

You almost made me hurl my thanksgiving dinner.

Oh Yeah!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

MeTawn shows up every night to play offense.....defense? Not so much.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:11 PM

Posted by: divi3 | November 27, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse "

Calm down...

It's still comical that Gilby called him out.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Sorry my factual assessment of his night was over-the-top in your view.
I thought he was being asked to do more catching and shooting and tonight he did on a few occasions and it was nice to see them drop when he did.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@bpybay,

Do you remember a PG named Stephon Marbury getting a huge FA contract after blossoming under FS?? You consider him a "pure" PG or a basketball savant?? How about Chauncey Billups? He used to be considered just a scoring PG as well. Is it a slight oversimplification? Yes. Does it make my point that it is his health and rust that is to blame for his struggles more than Flip's system? Yes.

Your right, I've never seen GA blow by his man and kick it out to an open jump shooter before, which is basically what Boykins is doing. As Kal pointed out quite correctly, he is not any more a "pure" PG than GA. And, a 5 5 one to boot! He is just healthier and less rusty at the moment.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 27, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Kal - Hubie said Bokins is capable of being a scorer when "called upon"..... Big difference. I remember when Bokins first came into the league. Yes he was a "scorer" then. He was a little dude who felt like he had something to prove.

What better way to prove you can play in the NBA at 5 foot 5? You guessed it, show you could score with the best of them. Fast forward 9 years. Bokins is not that same little dude that came into the league.

He has figured it out. When he comes in now he is looking to "dish" and "dish only". He only shoots now when he is "WIDE OPEN" or the time is running out. A guard who looks to "dish" first is defined as a "pure point guard".

Would you call Steve Nash or Jason Kidd a pure point guard? Of course, I would too. Is Bokins at their level, Heck no. But he still looks to "dish" first at this stage of his career then score. Just watch tommorrow's game and see how many times he looks to actually score. It is not that many, so I disagree with that he is a "scorer" only.

He can score if he has too, but that is not what he is looking to do anymore. AI was a gunner and still is, just like Gil. Bokins used to be years back, but he is not anymore. He thought scoring was the only way teams was going to keep him because he felt he would not get a fair shake because of his size.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Rphilli721,

You know kind fella, I'm the type of fella to agree rather than disagree.

But, it always amazes me how some posters here always disagree with everything you post when they comment.

I just don't get that. One can't be all wrong as well as they can't be all right.

I keep tryin' to get one poster in paricular to be a little personable, but he hasn't bugged yet.

I'll keep tryin' though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry my factual assessment of his night was over-the-top in your view.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse "

Not over the top.

Just ridiculous to critique a guy who had little impact in the game because MeTawn and NY took most of the shots.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721

100% right, rphilli721!!
We all jump down his throat when he says something out of school, so congratulate him when he's being a good teammate and being cognizant of the fact that it's not all about him.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll keep tryin' though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Keep trying LarryInClintonMD, Kalorama will come around one of these days.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"SO WHAT. It's unreal anyone would focus on the negatives in AJs game rather than the positives. Shows a lack of bball understanding to think Jamison is the problem with this team at any point.

Posted by: divi3 | November 27, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse "

We all know MeTawn is going to get his numbers win or lose.

We also know that he puts very little effort into playing D.

Why is this acceptable, nevermind to a homer like you?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Condescension, as defined in Websters: A painfully obvious tool of the insecure.

Who among us is being paid to coach an NBA team? Anyone? Bueller? Can we please refrain from ARGUING hypotheticals? Can we, instead, respect that each of us has an opinion-- as does he or she have an A-hole-- and cease with the bashing.

Posted by: oljakers | November 27, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

League wide note:

For those of you with the NBA league pass, have you noticed how empty the stands are in most arenas on most nights? Wow. Sign of the times. OKC has one of the best fan bases in the league already.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Anyone who steps on the court is subject to critique.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

"Arenas smiling and congratulating players coming off the court is a sign of maturity and being a team player. How you can twist that around into a negative is beyond me. Seems he has checked his ego as Haywood suggested the team needed to do.

Posted by: rphilli721 "

Nah, Gilby's just happy that he's paid and doesn't need to stress about that anymore.

He's in CP mode (Clinton Portis).

I didn't hear any of his fellow players saying right before he got max money.."why should Gilbert get max money when he's been out 3 seasons and has had 3 knee surgeries and is not a team player?"

Only Gilby would stab his fellow ballers in the back, which is sad.

Caron made a correct statement when he distanced himself from Gilby's words and said that he was going to be an adult about it.

-----------------------------------------

"I'm a man before I'm anything. And I'm an adult. So when gestures or anything are made, I don't turn to the media or anything like that. I go directly to the source, and that's what I did," Butler said.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

We all know MeTawn is going to get his numbers win or lose.

We also know that he puts very little effort into playing D.

Why is this acceptable, nevermind to a homer like you?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

DC_MANN88 - I used to be stuck on that whole AJ not playing any defense also, but after seeing dude out the first 9 games I finally realized how important that 20 and 10 actually means to the team.

You can not teach what that dude does on the offensive side of the floor. As goofy as his shots look, guess what? That is how he looks and is on defense. I think the dude really does try to play defense but he is simply not athletic enough to succeed.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

"There you go again,DC. I didn't imply that Butler impacted the game one way or the other. He caught and shot a few times. The shots fell when he did.
Anyone who steps on the court is subject to critique.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse "

I think you missed the point.

Let me give you an analogy.

You critiquing Caron's game tonight is like you saying the turkey was ugly if someone asked you how your Thanksgiving dinner went.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

"Lastly, I only know two dudes who are pure scores and are not "5's" who score and play defense and their names are Wade and Kobe. Offense and Defense skilled players don't grow on trees. AJ is good for what he does so I am not looking for him to play lockdown defense. He just does not have the footwork to do so. He kind of like has two left feet. But I ain't mad at him........

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse "

If only he could man up and admit that instead of bashing the young kids for not doing their jobs.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

You guys are really trying to down play Boykins performance. He does everything GA dont. He makes his free throws, he create shots for hsi teammates, he don't jack up horrible shots, he don't turn the ball over, and even with his size he play defense. I don't know about GA anymore. 100+ milli and he's playing like this??? I don't know much about this Leonis guy, but I hear he is a good owner so hopefully he don't dish out money like that to anybody with a question mark. Next time I hope we can dish out that kind of money to a real deal young, healthy talent. Hate to say this, but we don't need GA...

Posted by: ATLredskin | November 27, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

keep tryin' to get one poster in particular to be a little personable, but he hasn't bugged yet.

I'll keep tryin' though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Keep trying LarryInClintonMD, Kalorama will come around one of these days.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 27, 2009 11:42 PM

Well, for LOL BulletsFever, did not think it was that obvious whom I was speaking of.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 27, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

"League wide note:

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 27, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse "

There's not that much of a market for garbage.

The good thing is that hopefully this will reign in the ridiculous salaries that most of these ballers are paid.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

"Of course that never stopped you from critiquing NY or McGee this season when they've had little impact on game's bottom line, now has it?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 27, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse "

My comments were in response to Mr. Kool-Aid Man, et all hooping and hollering about a dunk or a block by JaTravel in a blowout loss.

BTW, I spent little if any time writing about NY.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 28, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@DCMAN,

What is the point in constantly bashing AJ for not being a good defender? It's redundant and ridiculous bc we all know that he is not. But, you are incorrect in stating that he does not even try. He tries to be in the right position at all times and that is one reason for his consistent rebounding numbers. He simply is too small for some matchups and too slow for others, which is much different from say a NY who has every tool necessary to be a good defender as we have seen the past two games.

What is very encouraging to me is FS is starting to move AJ between the 3/4 to get him better match ups, which is very smart coaching on his part. How many times was AJ at the 3 under EJ? I can't remember a single time to be honest. FS has already done it 2/3 times in the few games he has played.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 28, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 27, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

DC - My bad, I had a couple of spelling typo's in my last post, but yea AJ might man up behind closed doors with them and he lets them know he does try to play defense. We might not hear that part from the media. The dude does give his all. As for Sir Gilbert, you can clearly see he wants to have nothing to do with playing defense. AJ at least trys to play some even though it might look like he is not.

I will take AJ's game over Gilbert's anyday. At least he scores over 20 and rebounds at least 10 "every" game. Can Gilbert say that? I would think not. Now I will give, as you call him "Gilby", a pass for a couple of months so he can get his legs back under him before I pass full judgement on him.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 28, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

"@DCMAN,

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 28, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse "

And what's the point in complaining about lopsided blowouts when we know Les BouleS are consistently inconsistent?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 28, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

We know what "Gilby" will be doing if he "gets his legs under him". That's right, chuckin' up 34 foot jumpers and saying " hey man, i gotta' do what i do", while his team gets swept by the Celtics/ Hawks/ Magic in the first round.

Posted by: oljakers | November 28, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@DCMAN,

Amen to the ridiculous salaries comment. Seems out of whack when guys that play games for a living make hundreds of millions. I've had many friends over the years so disgusted by it they starting boycotting sports. Millions maybe. Tens and hundreds of millions for often mediocre players - ridiculous!

Everything involving finance and money has a bubble. Throughout the 90's until now salaries in all sports have exploded at a rate that is simply not sustainable. I think athletes are headed for a long period of leveling off or even contraction in most cases. Their own version of the housing crises and it's a about time!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 28, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

@DCMAN,

What? The old diversion tactics again, huh? Can never just agree with someone ever can you?

Commenting, dissecting, griping, praising, whining, rejoicing or whatever verbs you want to use on a game to game basis is what this whole "Insider" thing is about along with opinions on the team. But, game to game observations are dynamic. Griping about the same players for the same things for an entire season is trite and redundant as I said. You got that market cornered!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 28, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Gil shot the ball 14 times against Philly and 7 times tonight.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | November 28, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

"Hubie said Bokins is capable of being a scorer when "called upon"..... Big difference."

No difference at all. Scoring is what he's been "called upon" to do his entire career, which was Brown's pretty obvious point. It's what kept him in the NBA for all those years.

"But he still looks to "dish" first at this stage of his career then score. "

"This stage of his career" has lasted a total of 6 games, in which was averaging about 3.5 apg (and 2 TOs) per game. He's averaging 11 pp. in 21 minutes, and taking about 1 FGA every 2.5 minutes he's on the floor (before tonight). That doesn't sound like a guy looking to "dish" and "dish only." You can spin all of the revisionist history you want, but Boykins' entire career has been built on his ability to come off the bench and put the ball in the basket. Everything else he's done has flowed from that, and that's still the case. Has he learned to mix it up a little more? Maybe. Again, 6 games is way to small a sample size to be making definitive, career-altering proclamations (but hey, don't let that stop you). Like most scorers with any court sense, he uses the defensive attention his scoring draws to move the ball around when his shot's not there. But the notion that he's suddenly an elite playmaker after a half dozen games in the NBA is wildly overblown hyperbole (which seems to be increasingly the stock-in-trade around here).

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 28, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptp23 | November 27, 2009 10:53 PM

Almost. He went for 50 -- one more than his previous career high vs. Washington in Denver on 2/9/08.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | November 28, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"Gil shot the ball 14 times against Philly and 7 times tonight.
So far, Gil's talk earlier this week about "I gotta do what I gotta do" appears to be nothing more than empty words. I don't think it's lost on him that the Wiz won both games."

lol...maybe shooting less until he shakes the rust off is what he has to do. It seems like where this is all heading. I believe him when he talks about rhythm, but I don't know if that's all. Would love to hear percentage wise where he thinks his knee/leg is? Probably not an answer he wants to make public though.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 28, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse