76ers (7-20) at Wizards (8-17)

Wizards starters: Gilbert Arenas, DeShawn Stevenson, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood

Sixers: Jrue Holiday, Willie Green, Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Samuel Dalembert

Wizards by 1

Flip Saunders will use his 11th different starting lineup tonight and insert Randy Foye at shooting guard. Saunders said that he hopes that Foye can get going again now that he will get more minutes. Saunders said the thought Foye was pressing a bit since he returned from his sprained right ankle and looking over his shoulder whenever he hit the court.

DeShawn Stevenson was bumped back to the bench, but Saunders said he would still like to use Stevenson as a defensive specialist off the bench.

During his last two seasons in Washington, Eddie Jordan seemed to always be waiting to get Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler on the floor together. That trio made started just eight games together in 2007-08, going 3-5. Since Arenas, Jamison and Butler have reunited this season, the Wizards are just 5-10 with them starting together. Jordan said he isn't surprised by the early struggles.

"Gil hasn't played in two years, so it's going to take time for them to mesh. You have to have time," Jordan said. "It's a shock to the system when you're coming back all of a sudden. You have to find that chemistry and that's what they need to find. It takes some time. I'm not surprised."

Jordan added that he expects to Wizards to eventually start having some success. "They do have talent and they do have depth. They got three deep at every position, from what I've read in the past," Jordan said, cracking a smile. "And they have it, if they are healthy. Mike Miller is out and again, he's new. Randy [Foye] is new. [Earl] Boykins is new. It's a fairly new team. Talented, but new. They need to know how to play together."

While the Wizards head to Milwaukee to face the Bucks on Wednesday, Javaris Crittenton will be in Indianapolis visiting foot specialist David Porter. Crittenton's left foot hasn't made much progress since he was removed from the cast a few weeks ago. He experienced a setback last week on the West Coast trip.

Crittenton also told me that has switched representation from Wallace Prather, his agent since he left Georgia Tech in 2007, to Mark Bartelstein.

By Michael Lee  |  December 22, 2009; 6:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Philadelphia 76ers
Next: Wizards 105, 76ers 98

Comments

Big boys in the house.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Flip with those dumb sub patterns again. If Gil was rolling then why sit him so long and let him get cold? Its stupid. Im also so sick of Caron & AJ's horrible shot selection. Im sick of all the long contested 2 pointers early in the shot clock. The thing I always hate the most is how AJ automatically shoots it as soon as he gets it off the pick & roll when half the time its a super long off balance shot where he cant even see the rim when he recieves the pass. Yet he's always the 1st one to cry about the younger guys play

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out why Flip played Oberto for almost 10 minutes in the 1st half. NO point, No rebounds and Brand ate him up. It was a total waste!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 22, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Wholesale substitutions by Flip!!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 22, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I applaud Flip for pulling the starting five.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

McGuire hustles his @ss off.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 22, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how Blatche gets playing time at the expense of Haywood whom has been one of the most consistent players this season for whatever thats worth.

Build on what you have going even if it is not enough. To sit Haywood and play Blatche dosen't add to team effectiveness.

It is a Team game and not an individual game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

You just cannot drive the lane with such ease if both Haywood and Blatche is in the game. We give up inside effectiveness with just Haywood or Blatche by themselves.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Foye is the only starter who hasn't been inserted back into the lineup. Boykins to the rescue?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 22, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Flip for making a point to his starters. What a difference in tempo. MacGuire deserves more PT.
From the effect the wholesale benching made, it appears to me that the problem ain't Flip or Ernie, it's "Allstar Ego"

Posted by: bozomoeman | December 22, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

We talk about defense so much but I am convinced that most don't really understand what good defense is.

Team defense will beat individual defense all day.

Why we don't play a combination of BH, AB, or JM together for major minutes for the sake of defense is beyond me.

Those three players have the talents to make our frontcourt play a formidiable group to reckon with.

Why we keep trying to solidfy our paint play with one guy shows a lack of intelligence.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Score one for Flip tonight. He probably wanted to send a message to the Big Three, but knew better than to take just those guys out so he made all the starters sit. When they came back in it looked like they actually cared.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 22, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I wish Flip would hire a butler or a stylist or whatever. He always looks like someone in a horror flick or the confused detective thats been on the beat all night with coffee and doughnuts.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I wish the Zards could play Philly and NJ every night!

Posted by: bozomoeman | December 22, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is the start of something good. Those of us whom have been the optimistic prognosticators for this team have really taken a beaten.

And maybe deservedly so.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Did Flip Just Save Our Season?

When he benched the starting 5 and they came back in, I dont think I saw really one bad shot the rest of the way and they attacked the hoop and went forward more in the 4th then theyve done like the whole season combined. If we play like that then our O is hard to stop but these guys just want to settle for long contested 2's and pass it around the perimiter. Hopefully this carries over and we start attacking, espically Gil. If Gil mixes in the hard drives with his outside game then he will score an easy 30 every night and the other guys will feed off his aggression

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Tough to watch tonight.

Two bad teams with no discipline going at it.

* Boykins....must be auditioning for the next team b/c there's no shot that he doesn't like.

* Gilby.....can he take any worse shots towards the end of the game?

* AI.......no impact.

* MeTawn....had a tough time getting pushed around....no impact.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Why did we win??

Jamison averages 37 min and only 1 assist a game this year... Tonight, Jamison increased his assist production by 200%, or 3 assist. He needs to be a better all-around player, and if he can accept coming off the bench, we got a really well-balanced team. Hopefully, he can sacrifice for the team, and he becomes 6th man of the year. He's got a big ego to swallow

Posted by: BulletsForEva | December 22, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

DCman88, I didnt think Gil took any bad shots late. They just look bad when they dont go in but most of his misses were layups. I did feel that he was still being dumb and trying to draw the foul more then he was just trying to lay it in and they didnt give him any calls. Still, alot of that is just his injury and not being able to fully elevate but I felt they were good shots. He took 1 three and thats it but I didnt even think that was bad. His stuff may have looked bad because he missed like 3 shots on one possesion but he was the hot man and 2 of them were aggressive drives so I wasnt upset

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Flip is still trying to get this team to play the way he wants it to. Taking the starters out en masse turned out to be a good move. Old and bad habits apparently die hard.

Posted by: cannontl | December 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Gil seemed to play a nice, efficient game tonight, shooting at a high percentage. He also got 8 rebounds, made some clutch free throws and made a smart play in helping the Wiz to get a crucial tip late.

Posted by: cannontl | December 22, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Missed the game, but box shows Dom grabbed 5rebs (3 offensive) in just 8mins?

play the man Flip!

Posted by: divi3 | December 22, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse "

A bad shot is when you just cross the line, someone passes to you, and then you take a long 3 while someone is in your face with much time on the clock.

That's called a bad shot whether you make it or not.

Also, I think the refs will/should be calling Gilby on his offensive foul everytime he drives to the basket. Notice how he extends his left arm to clear out the defender before he shoots.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Well finally a coaching move(benching all 5 starters) Flip must have watched a John Wooden video, McGuire should get more pt and thank goodness they made they're free throws down the stretch,nice win but i still miss my man EJ,now let's see if Flip can coach em up tommorow.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 22, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I did not see the 1st quarter,The only bad shoot arenas took is the 3 point attempt at which result in a fast break point and also ended up to be one of the reasons to pull out all starters.I think GA needs a ball handler in this game,a 6.5 gard ,I am not sure if Af is a good defender but could help in ball handling and offense.I am convinced that AJ need to rest his shoulder or has to come from bench to take some minutes.He is afraid of contact, DM should be the 7th man of the team and should take major minutes in any position.He can defend any body and could be a good reason not to see DS again.I do not think we will do well if we continue to relay on EB, teams can score over him , he also has atendency to keep the ball in his hand, in This game it is hard to have an effective offense in the absence of ball movment.

Posted by: gtefferra | December 22, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

And before you respond with an insult, save it.

I too criticize this team, but I also make optimistic comments as well.

Do you ever make any good comments about this team?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"DC_MAN88, you must wear some super dark shades. To be critical all the time is not good. To be negative all the time is even worse.

And before you respond with an insult, save it.

I too criticize this team, but I also make optimistic comments as well.

Do you ever make any good comments about this team?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse "

If I said something incorrect, then that would be odd.

If you said something that made sense, that would be odd also.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"yeah, he does push off every time but he deserves to the way the refs havent been giving him any calls on his drives this year. That 3 you are talking about is what got him and the rest of the guys benched. I agreed with that and thats why I said that it saved our season but after they came back in, I didnt really see any bad shots. Thats what I was speaking on. You said Gil took horrible shots down the stretch and I didnt see any. He took I think one 3 late but thats because Daly was on him and gave him alot of space. He also had already hit a few. He missed but we got the board and gave it back to him and the next time he drove hard but barely missed the layup. I thought those were good plays

Posted by: dlts20 | December 22, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse "

I guess you like to see more one on one ball from Gilby.

That's proven to be a playoff winning formula.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

If you said something that made sense, that would be odd also.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 10:52 PM

If you said something that was nice about the team that would be odd also.

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 22, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

"If you said something that was nice about the team that would be odd also.

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 22, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse "

Compliments aren't handed out nilly willy like welfare checks, food stamps, and toys for tots.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

willy nilly....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2009 11:28 PM

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 22, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Two bad teams played each other, one is bound to win.

Posted by: sagaliba | December 22, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

FLIP wins the coaching derby - this time.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 22, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Dom energized the 2nd unit.
Sometimes it just takes one player to play all out and it rubs off on the others.
Like Nick diving for a loose ball---haven't seen that before.
If one of our "big 3" could get motivated to play some hustle ball maybe the Wizzies could start climbing up to the expectations that some of us had preseason.

Posted by: VBFan | December 22, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Was at the arena and it was totally dead...until Flip pulled the Dean Smith and subs for the staring five after 6 minutes in the 2nd half.
We all had enough of no hustle, pump it up, no defense no energy bball.
The game was getting away as Philly had all the momentum.
Enter a whole new 5, they couldn't get in fast enough.
My only complaint was that Boykins was in instead of NY. Granted Ny was off by a lot, but let him and Foye, and AB JM and DM take the cp ourt together and see what happens.
I say it again, BH is the killer on this team. It is the only thing I agree with EJ about. He is dead and a killer. Yes he flashes moments of energy, but he is static, lifeless and non athletic.
When BH is in we have abolutely no inside game. He is at best a 10-15 minute reserve.
Now for Oberto. Retire him...he is slow no skills, and is in fact afraid to touch the ball, and throws it like it is a hot potatoe.
It is time to let JM play with a good unit. He is the only one with hustle, energy and some skills.
CB and AJ seem disinterested ot just hurt and unable to perform. AJ's shoulder injury is definitely more than reported. He is lost and costing this team big time.
CB seems like he is the one recovering from 2 knee surgeries...he can not complete at the basket, and doesn't even consider passing the ball. He is just another offense killer. He along with the other starters did show some energy after the embarrassing team substitution. But there is something terribly wrong with him.
He is playing very small, and just seems over matched against every team.
This team needs Flip to continue to substitute and experiment, as other than GA no one is consistent to any degree.
And GA is showing flashes of old.
As for the Defense, forgediboudit...this team is going to have to outscore, unless a major trade is made to replace so many feeble defensive parts.
Also you EJ apologists please shut up forever.
This 76 er team was one of the hottest teams down the stretch the last 2 years, and played strong playoff ball.
This team with EJ at the helm is pathetic even with tall, strong athletic and talented players. His substitutions are abysmal, as we all learned. There is no way the 6ers should be this bad , unless you take EJ into account.

Posted by: mricklen | December 23, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mricklen | December 23, 2009 12:06 AM

I do not think the facts on the floor verifies this. I think you are hung up on what you think a center should be doing and what you would like the inside presence to be.

Eddie Jordan applied the same faulty criteria to Brendan instead of using what talents he has and facilitating them by giving him help in the paint.

Eddie Jordan did try to make him a 10-15 minute reserve. I think that panned out worse for the Team. Whereas, letting him play played better for team.

You make a huge mistake in evaluating players. Individual shortcomings do not always mean a players play is not an asset to the team.

LarryInClintonMD

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"I would not know about that I have never ever been given anything even my dad told me if i wanted it to go get a job!! LOL and it paid off because i probably give to charity more in 1 year than you earn.

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 22, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse "

Who cares what your dad tells you?

I probably throw away more in 1 year than you earn in salary!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse