Arenas overshadowed by $111 million deal?

My contract does not define me. (Photo by Rocky Widner/NBAE via Getty Images)

Gilbert Arenas wants to be viewed as a basketball player, not someone who makes a lot of money playing basketball. But he feels that one has overshadowed the other ever since he signed a six-year, $111-million contract in the summer of 2008.

Granted, no one forced Arenas to sign that deal. As a matter of fact, moments after signing the contract -- the second nine-figure contract the late Abe Pollin ever doled out -- Arenas bragged about shunning a maximum deal and giving back $16 million to the Washington Wizards so that the team would have more money down the road for future deals.

But those boastful comments about his financial sacrifice won't be heard any time soon, mostly because Arenas's late-game heroics have been replaced my gruesome, heartbreaking finishes this season. After Arenas helped bring back the Wizards with a breathtaking fourth-quarter surge against Sacramento on Wednesday -- scoring eight points in the final 3:20 -- he was again unable to put a cap on it.

Having already blown a layup against Toronto and clanking two free throws against Boston and Indiana, Arenas added another poor finish to his now un-clutch resume when Sacramento rookie Tyreke Evans slapped away his crossover dribble and secured a 112-109 victory for the Kings. Arenas appeared despondent after the game and I asked him if he felt a lot of pressure to deliver for the organization.

Arenas had to understand when he signed the deal that he would be viewed as the $111-million guy -- if he was unable to produce. No one talks about Kobe Bryant's salary or LeBron James's salary or Dwight Howard's salary because they are getting things done for their organizations.

Right now, Arenas is struggling to regain the form that earned him the salary, but when you put your name on the dotted line, criticism comes with the territory. The bigger the money, the bigger the profile, the bigger the scrutiny. You either live up to the deal by winning games and nobody mentions it, or you don't.

When Arenas made three all-star appearances and produced a playoff series victory from 2004-07, most viewed the six-year, $65-million contract he signed in 2003 as a bargain. But with the team going 26-79 since he started his latest deal (with Arenas playing just two games last season), the contract is going to be figuratively tattooed on his forehead.

Arenas tried to clarify that this is really the first year of his current deal, since he opted out of the sixth season of his original Washington contract, which would've been completed last season.

But Arenas isn't running from his responsibility of being the franchise player for this organization. He actually took a very mature stance after the Kings loss by saying that he personally lost four games for the Wizards during this six-game losing streak. But he added that it might take some time before he can don a cape and rescue the Wizards as he once did.

Patience is a word folks don't like to hear in professional sports, but it's likely necessary for a guy who has had not one, not two, but three surgeries on his left knee and had never played more than 10 games in a row, let alone 23, in more than two seasons.

"I'm getting back and feeling the vibe again. People don't understand that," Arenas said. "If you're a bodybuilder and don't lift for two years and come back and try to live 400 pounds, you'll break your arm. I'm happy where I am, progress 20 games into the season, but I know where I need to be."

He's not there yet.

By Michael Lee  |  December 17, 2009; 6:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew
Next: Morning brew

Comments

Gil let the Wizards buy you out for a million and let the fans off the hook.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas wants to be viewed as a basketball player?

Gil then learn how to play the game!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Good job...

Arenas had to understand when he signed the deal that he would be viewed as the $111-million guy -- if he was unable to produce. No one talks about Kobe Bryant's salary or LeBron James's salary or Dwight Howard's salary because they are getting things done for their organization.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

So he didn't get paid over the last two years?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Gil isn't worth $1.11

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I've never met Gil but man does he stupid!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I've never met Gil but man does he sound stupid!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert Arenas wants to be viewed as a basketball player, not someone who makes a lot of money playing basketball."

Oh, thats too f-in bad!

It's not like he said "No Abe, don't give me that money."

He said,"I'm giving you a discount."

A discount!

OMFG! How arrogant! Sounds like someone who is trying to hide to me, not the other way around.

Be a man for once in your life Gilbert Arenas and stop being a cowardly little boy!

Jerk.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me?

What did Arenas think would happen after inking that contract?

I'm willing to wager that he wasn't too upset he signed it nor when his family, friends and teammates congratulated him on getting it.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 17, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

He's a trip! Is he guilt ridden in his bait and switch contract? It also reminds me of the Juan Howard fiasco.

Posted by: Max231 | December 17, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

WAAAAHHH!!! WAAAAHHH!!! WAAAAHHH!!!

Posted by: artiesliver | December 17, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I want the 42 % to man up and try to prove to us why Gil is being unfairly judged.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how DC_MAN88 is going to vote?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Any person on here would have taken the money if they had a boss as stupid as Ernie.

The only difference is we all would admit we robbed the organization...except for Gil and kal.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Gil,

You have enough money quit talking and just pay the fines, you will be better off in the long run.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again with blow it up and trade this guy and package this and that and our guys are soft and yada' yada' yada'.

Unless some superstar is gonna materialize from nowhere none of these proposals mean squat.

This Team of players that we have right now needs to play better and they can and have the abilities to do so.

And those of you that believe a different crop of players will make a difference with this organization are not seeing what is really wrong.

If this organization cannot figure out how to use a Javale McGee and also realize that they need a big portion of at least two of either JM, AB, and BH on the floor together to solidify the paint and stop this Mexican Cha Cha, by having Blatche playing center by himself, that he is not suited for, they also are not gonna figure out how use some new player that is brought in.

And all of you that is bemoaning who we did not get with our 5-pick need to realize that if we had gotten any one of those guys yawl keep bringing up, what makes you think that they would not be on the bench not playing just like Javale McGee.

I guarantee they would not be being used, because Flip Saunders hasn't shown that he would use a young player.

The biggest problem with this organization is it is hell bent on the philosophy of how traditional NBA players should play.

A tough big guy that rebounds and blocks shots and smacks guys when they visit the lane.

Power forwards that play shutdown defense.

A big shooting guard.

We are so obsessed with what a good traditional NBA Team should play like that we don't even allow the players that we have to excel at what they can do best.

Note to the wise. Flip Saunders system is not worth the paper it is written on, if it dosen't allow or get his players to succeed in it.

Maybe his system isn't for these players. If it isn't and we need to find players that fit his system then we hired the wrong guy as coach.

Lest we forget all you guru's, the most successful systems allow the players to excell. None of these players are excelling in Flips system, not a single one.

CAN YA HEAR ME KNOW.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Did you ask him if he's not up to the challange yet then why doesn't he pass the ball to someone who is?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee, get real. Is this drivel about moral outrage or selling blog? GA is not worth 111 million dollars for six or even ten years but neither is anybody else when a dollar a day is the going rate in some parts of the world. That said when you look at what everybody else connected with this racket is making, management, sponsors, media the question becomes absurd.

You want outrage? the Post ran an article today about what's happening to once middle class working people and vets coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan; no jobs, no health insurance, unable to find jobs, some are living under bridges.

I find it hard to believe that any of the people objecting to GA's pay would have turned it down in his place or even kicked back 16 million. GA took the money like anybody with the IQ of a cauliflower would
have.

One other point mentioned at the end of the article, he's been away from the game
for most of two years and there is a lot of rust to shed, he may be more or less on schedule for a return to form. If not, pile on if you want but it all sounds pretty damn silly.

Posted by: midlevex | December 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Arenas needs to shut up until this team starts winning some ball games. That and get Shaq's boxer python out of his fiancees mouth.

Posted by: awb9h | December 17, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask a question since some of you know the rest of the NBA better than I do. How long did it take D. Wade to come back to form after his various injuries several years ago?

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Larry, it's not that.

It's Gil attitude. He says "I am not a leader" but wants paid like one.

It's true, he's not a leader.

Why they ever gave him all that money is beyond me. I kept telling my friend 2 years ago who also loves the Bullets/Wiz they are going to regret that deal and they are.

Gil acts like a little kid, he needs to grow up. That's the problem I have with the guy. He needs to man-up.

The Wiz are losing because they need to learn to play defense and make thier FT's.

Nobody has been in Gil's face when he's been at the line, that's all him. Lebron and Kobe don't miss those.

Gil does.

Those guys put thier teams on thier backs,

Gil doesn't.

Maybe that will happen one day.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Dear Bulletsfan78:

It appears you're losing your mind. When no one responded to your first 30 posts, it meant we didn't care about your cheap Abe rants and complete $ fixation and were ignoring you. It did not mean you should lay down 30 more posts. (PS - Mike Lee, you need to get the you're/your right in the 2nd to last paragraph, otherwise you sound like these posters and we need you to sound more intelligent than that.)

Posted by: Urnesto | December 17, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you think Gil is "worth," Golden State offered him max (5 year, 100 mil, more yearly salary than he is making for us) and he had many other suitors.It's a big scary contract but it was either that or let him walk for nothing. Still wouldn't have had cap, so basically the other option woulda been letting him AND Jamison walk and rebuilding totally.

I understand the choice they made, even if it has worked horribly, and what's more, I still love Gil and as he said, he's getting better by the game. The TO was very frustrating but cmon... 33/6/6? Maybe he will recover to old form and make the contract worth it.

And again, he may not be worth the money, not at all, he may be crushing our team, but that's what he was offered. In the NBA contracts are 100% guaranteed. He gave away $16 million in guaranteed money. Out of his pocket for no reason. How often is this talked about, and then how often does it actually happen? He's a unique personality among star athletes and it's great.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | December 17, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

What did Michael Jordon play like when he left basketball and came back in mid-season (or later) in the 1990's. Did they win the championship that year like they had been? And he wasn't recovering from injury on top of not playing.

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow,Cannont1 as I was reading this and looking at everyone's post being negative towards Gil, I was going to bring the DWade example up to and it looks like you already did it.

However I can add more to that example. Correct me if I am wrong Gilbert naysayers (which I am sure someone will), DWade only had one surgery on his knee and was out 3/4's of 1 season correct?

In contrast Gil had "THREE" surgeries on one knee (not two knees) and was out almost 2 years...??? Now if I do my calculations correctly, and you are a player whose whole game was built towards getting to the rack, don't you think he is going to have a little trouble instantly getting back to his old form?

It has only been what 20 games? How long did it take for TMac, Amare, DWade, and Jason Kidd to get their games back from knee surgery? Exactly, it took more then 20 games. As I had already said in earlier posts, you can see the man's game coming around. All of the those miscue's at the end of games are just signs of rust coming off.

2 years ago, Gil would have crossed the young rookie up with that crossover and would have blown past him. Gil's body is fooling his mind right now, but the body will catch up with more minutes played.

Cut the dude some slack, for everybody hating on his contract you all know dang well if your boss offered you a crazy new contract for your past body of work you would not take it???

Even if you thought it was a bit too much, would you say "oh no thank you boss" 50% of what you offered me is what I feel I should get. Yea right, everybody should stop hating and being hypocrites........

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 17, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

Power forwards that play shutdown defense.

A big shooting guard.

Are you sure you are a Tar Heel fan?

I could see you saying that if you were a Terps fan since their C is usually 6'7" but NC recruits guys that fit the mold of the positions they play?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey LarryInClintonMD...do you realize that they didn't hire mark jackson or someone like Avery Johnson because of Gilby? Do you really think they would put up with his crap? He wouldn't sniff the 4th quarter with his ball hogging, turnovers, and selfishness. We are hijacked because of Gilby. They wanted to humor the child...not install discipline to him.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | December 17, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

If Gil started this season at close to form he was before he was injured, then the Wiz win at least half the close games they have been losing and the Wiz are probably a .500 team and we are probably not having this discussion.

Now what could it be about Gilbert that made him not start the season at close to the form he once was? What is it? Oh, that's right he had three knee surgies and has barely played in two years.

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BulletsFever.

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Urnesto

I don't post on here to get people to respond.

I happen to run an internet business and this is my busiest time of year, so I spend a lot of time online.

I can't help it if I was right about Abe, but if you noticed I haven't written anything about him since he died.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear Gil is starting to feel it again, just as it appears on court. 2yrs off is an eternity in pro-sports, it's gonna take some time.

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

when amare first returned from micro-frac surgery, there was a substantial period of "what a shame, he'll never be the same player again. Poor guy is done"

how'd that turn out?

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"The team has two options...

1) Hope for some reason that the current will change course?

2) Jump out of the canoe and swim to shore

I believe it's time to jump ship (canoe) and start over..."

you're the very person who goes on and on everyday about how lousy Gil and AJ are...so how exactly do we start over given they are both under contract?

what EXACTLY should be done?

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 8:08 PM

Yeah, you're right, but thats my point, the Wizards need to stop wishing for what they don't have and use what they do have to the best of their abilities.

Do you realize that Brendan Haywood played a lot of power forward at Carolina because together with their center the paint play was a non factor.

We harp and moan about our center play, but Flip Saunders will not use his three best defensive paint players together. BH, AB, JM should be controlling the paint for this Team, but no, thats too much like right for Flip to even try it.

At least two of them should always be on the floor together for major minutes.

And the reason why Carolina gets the players for the positions required is because recruits know that coming to Carolina means they are going to play some ball.

For sure they know they will play in a system, but a system that will allow them to mature and excell.

The learning curve for Flips system is like taking Calculus. I took and passed Calculus, but truth be told I never needed it to understand what mathematics was all about.

You see you have to go with what you got and stop making decisions based upon expectations that you may never have.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"Ummm...the no IQ is showing itself again. Agree with Van Gundy, go to Jamison. Flip, are you not calling his number? WTF.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 16, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse "

Both Van Gundy and Mark J. were complaining about the lack of D all night.

VG: "MeTawn, you can't just wave at the guy driving to the basket."

MJ: "I'm not convinced they can start playing defense at the end of the game when they didn't play defense for the first 45 minutes.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

how'd that turn out?

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Divi3 - Exactly my point. They were about to run the GM out of town for resigning Amare to that big contract after coming off that major surgery. Sound familiar Gilbert haters?

Now fast forward, Amare finally has his old form back after a year. Is anybody calling for the Sun's GM head now? As a poster said earlier, the Wiz had NO CHOICE but to match or make that 111 mill. Gil would have walked and they would not have had nothing to show for it. Not even good cap room.

Now is Gilbert a 111 mill player, no? But if that is what the market was set at (Golden State 100 mil) then that is what his salary is supposed to be. Can't hate or be mad at the man and judge him. Again, everybody here knows dang well they would have took the contract too if it was offered to them. Folks need to stop faking on here and be real.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 17, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

"So is DCMAN88 going to start defending this team now, just to rile people up?

Posted by: chinatown | December 17, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse "

Every season, my arguments get vindicated.

I'm so used to it by now.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna address everything from the other post here.

1. Petrie's moves vs. Ernie's moves
What has he done so great? Built a soft team that played no defense and scored points with Webber, Peja, Divac, Bibby etc. and didn't do anything but complete one of the biggest choke jobs ever. (And that's who you want to replace Ernie with? Didn't he do the same thing in your opinion?) In the 6 years since they've both been there Petrie is 237-255 and Ernie is 215-277. Sacremento has been 4th or 5th in the division for the last 4 years. Haven't been out of the 2nd round. Kevin Martin was a good pick, Tyreke too maybe but you act like he's made all these wonderful moves to end up with the worst record in the league. (You are what you are right?)

Seriously. You call Petrie the guy that traded for Webber...IN 1998.

2. Eddie was fired because of his rotations and issues with dealing with players.

3. All-Stars

You said last year Sacremento won 2 less games but we had 2 all-stars. It's amazing how they're trash players...except when you wanna put down the team. Then they're all-stars again. Butler and Jamison are COMPLIMENTARY players. They just happened to have made 2 all-star games. They are not superstar players.

David West, Mo Williams, Mehmet Okur, Ben Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Ilguaskas, Shawn Marion, Rashard Lewis, Jamaal Magloire, Kenyon Martin, Brad Miller, Andrei Kirilenko, Sam Cassell, Steve Francis, Peja Stojakovic, Stephon Marbury, Jamaal Mashburn, Antoine Walker, Wally Szczerbiak, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, Anthony Mason, Antonio Davis, Glenn Robinson, Michael Finley.

All all-star players. So what. Most of them multiple all-stars. Take any 5 of them and you'd STILL be hard pressed to win a championship. They are good but are better with a superstar. They can't be the LEAD player on a team. Would you build AROUND any of them? Pau Gasol was good but how was he as the lead player of a team? Add Caron and Jamison to that list. Caron and Jamison have played at very high levels.

I'm just tired of people being like they won 19 games with 2 all-stars. It wasn't Kobe and LeBron or anything close. Besides, you STILL need complimentary players. When your comp. players are your lead players...who are you compliments? McGuire? Young? Juan Dixon?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 17, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl

Posted by: and_1 | December 17, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I love it. I said my opinion...and I'm gonna stand on it all day.

I'm not gonna duck and hide when they win or try to spin it like...yeah they won 4 out of 5...BUT THEY ARENT GOING TO SIGN MILLER NEXT YEAR. Who does that?

Who wants to live their life like a skirt?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 17, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

"He dropped 55 on the Knicks and he averaged 26.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.3 assists."

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

That's the kind of thing I was referring to, divi3.

Posted by: cannontl | December 17, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | December 17, 2009 8:10 PM

Sorry Ole' Chap. That would be so incorrect. They hired Flip because they thought that with his experience that he would be the right fit to make this Team successful.

So far it has proven to be incorrect and they also did not know that he would continue not integrating young talent.

Also, I believe though I have no proof of it, that it was Flip's urging why EG did not use the 2nd pick in the draft.

I believe that Flip thought he had enough veteran corp for his system without fooling with young players to include McGee.

Do you realize that Javale McGee with all his youthfull inexperience is still one of the best players on this Team?

To not use him practically at all, to me brings anyone's coaching acumen into serious question.

They did not pick Mark Jackson or even consider him because they were afraid to to take the plunge like the Nicks too, on a Coach that hasn't ever coached in the League.

However, something tells me that had they chosen Mark Jackson, this Team would have a better record that they do now.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midlevex | December 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

midlevex

The reason people from all around the world hate Americans and are happy we are going through a depression is because we base our priorities on sports, music, movies, and gossip?

Soon will no longer be the superpower we once were unless we get back to what made this country great.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

gil is averaging 23/8/5 on 42%fg in december.

after 18/6/4 on 36%fg in november

Baby steps....

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

"You can say Flip hasn't locked down a steady rotation yet...but he's been here all of 22 games. Eddie was here FOR 5 YEARS. I personally didn't feel like he had much control over the team and his on court choices were often puzzling. How many years can you try to play small ball?"

---------------------------------------------

How long does Flip have to be here to realize that DeShawn (6-4) should not be guarding Mike Dunleavy (6-9)?

I'm all for giving the guy a chance because he's all we've got and I'm still hoping they'll make something of the season, but let's not gloss over everything.

Posted by: and_1 | December 17, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

"The reason people from all around the world hate Americans and are happy we are going through a depression is because we base our priorities on sports..."

i've heard soccer is popular in a few places around the world, i could be wrong though.

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Gilby can be counted on to take bad shots at the worst times.

He used to make some of them, but past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Oh well...nothing new there.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call it glossing over. I'm talking about rotations in general. I didn't catch the Pacer game so I don't know what happened with that.

I just youtubed it. That's crazy...but yeah I think Flip said that was a bad idea after.

Even still a bad decision doesn't mean Flip is the worse coach ever blah blah blah

and so on and so forth.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 17, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"he also got embarrassed by the knicks in the playoffs, remember his pocket getting picked at halfcourt to seal the deal?"

---------------------------------------

At least Gil has mastered the getting-his- pocket-picked part of his comeback.

Posted by: and_1 | December 17, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I swear I saw Gil say he would retire before he had another surgery and at least get them off the hook for that money.

Keep in mind this is Gil...but who knows.

Yes they do.

Those guys put thier teams on thier backs, Gil doesn't
Yes he has. He basically did in the 4th quarter last night. He CAN'T do it yet.

Funny thing is someone says if Gil can't carry the team yet pass it to someone that can. When he does it's "HOW DO YOU MAKE $111 MILLION! YOU'RE THE FRANCHISE AND YOU PASS?!!"

Make up your minds.

Posters on this board are less consistent the actual Wizards.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 17, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

""It's only pressure whenever somebody mentions my name, they mention one-eleven. They don't just call me a basketball player, they put a number behind it, like that defines who I am," Arenas said. "There is no pressure playing the game of basketball. But every time you read an article and they mention me, it's like, 'Yeah, one-eleven guy.' But I'm a basketball player.""

Hey boy.

You called yourself a "max money" player, now earn your keep.

You drew attention to yourself, and now you feel agitated that people are calling you on it?

All I can say is this:

STFU!

You "get" almost 200k/game.

Again,

STFU!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

"And oh, by the way, those of you that keep underestimating Gilbert, when you wake up one day with your foot in your mouths, I hope that you bathed the night before.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse "

You of all people should know what feet taste like.

Get some floss for that piece of toe jam stuck between your teeth.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to bulletsfan78? He never comes around anymore.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 17, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

and so on and so forth

------------------------------------------

I don't think he's the worst coach in the league but he has not been impressive.

Posted by: and_1 | December 17, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I am a cynic when it comes to the Wizards but to have an expectation for Gilbert Arenas to be a consistently "clutch" Player in the mold of Kobe, LeBron, Reggie Miller (a few years back), is futile. Gilbert is an exceptionally talented Player but has a very fragile Psyche and is certainly not "Tough Minded" as the others are. Those guys are "assasins" with killer instict. Gilbert does not possess those qualities except except on rare occaisons.
We have appointed him the Leader of this Team based on a handful of game winning shots predominantly in the regular season when he was 100% healthy. I believe GA will improve greatly as this season goes on but it will be to no avail. Watching closely the defense "played" by Jamison, Gilbert, Blatche and others is almost comical if it was not so disheartening to Fans of this Team. The Chemistry, or lack of, of this group of Players is simply not there. When a very good role Player like
Earl Boykins becomes a "go to" guy at the end of games, your destiny is sealed.
This Team is not, I repeat not well coached. Flip is simply another in the long line of recycled NBA insiders that amass some measure of respectability when all the cards are on their side, the stars align and most importantly, they had "Studs" truly leading their teams such as Garnett and Chauncy.
Mark Jackson was the ideal fit for this group of undisiplined and weak minded Players but once again, the "old boy network" of the coaching fraternity won out. What a shame.

Posted by: jshavatt | December 17, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

@Jshavatt,

The wisdom of your statements I am sure will surely be dismissed by the O' great ones on this blog.

But I, totally see where you are coming from and agree.

This Wizards group is truly not a traditional group of players and Mark Jackson would have been a great fit.

When Flip Saunders kept replacing Antonio McDyess for Chris Webber even though Chris Webber flowed better with the team even with his limited abilities, I felt then that Flip's judgement at Detroit was suspect.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Gil deserves more time to get back to his closer status. He has been out for 2 years, for heaven's sake. He is getting closer and playing much, much better. We need to be patient.

But he is certainly not the only problem on this team, and his missed free throws, buzzer beaters, etc. would not even be an issue if the rest of the team played better as well. If one other player made one extra bucket, or got one extra defensive stop, Gilbert wouldn't have to close out the game in the last second. It's on the whole team, not just Gil.

Posted by: gdiddy7 | December 17, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

gil is averaging 23/8/5 on 42%fg in december.

after 18/6/4 on 36%fg in november

Baby steps....

Posted by: divi3 | December 17, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert has pretty good numbers. Ordinarily fans would be thrilled to have a player with those numbers. Unfortunately for him his contract is overshadowing the fact that he is still a pretty good player.

Personally, I liked how agressive he was driving last night in Sacramento. It was the first time he reminded me of his old self.

Posted by: MeviousMan | December 17, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

As I look around the League I see so many rookies and 2nd year players contributing on a regular basis to there Teams.

And I wonder why the Wizards never got that memo.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

And I wonder why the Wizards never got that memo.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Because the Wizards rookies and 2nd year players suck!

Give Ernie a raise?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

And I wonder why the Wizards never got that memo.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Hard to contribute while sitting.

Posted by: VBFan | December 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"DWade only had one surgery on his knee and was out 3/4's of 1 season correct?"

Very bad example and yes I know you're referring to surgery recovery, but....

D.Wade is everything that Gil is not.

And he also has a ring on his finger.

D.Wade name commands respect.

Gilbert Arenas name does not.

He wants to be the man, but doesn't even act like a man. He acts like a little boy.

They let him go to Golden State like they should have, they could be making a run at D.Wade for 2010.

Or many other players that will be available this offseason.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree...comparing D. Wade and GA is like comparing brandon jennings to kobe bryant! you just don't do it! gil is one of many very good guards in the NBA...D. Wade is a perennial MVP in this league...here is the list (an it's arguable)
1. Kobe Bryant
2. Lebron James
3. D. Wade
(honorable mention: Carmelo)
this ranking changes throughout the season but it's always those four names...GA is not even close...he could be if he commits but do you think he has?

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 18, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

"The one reason why Mark Jackson was my vehement choice is because I knew he would not come in with some traditional NBA system crap.

Mark Jackson as coach would have been more dependent upon the abilities of the players rather than some system."

And if Mark Jackson had wings and a harp he'd be an angel. But he doesn't so he isn't.

I've been saying for years that I thought Jackson would make a good coach, and I'm surprised he's not one already. I think he has the smarts and the insight to run a team. But w/o the benefit of a crystal ball there's no way anyone can predict that he'd be better than X or Y coach or that he'd run this or that system. That's ridiculous. You have no effing clue what Mark Jackson would specifically do as a coach because you have absolutely no evidence on which to base such a determination, given that he has never coached a nanosecond of basketball in any forum where you'd be able to observe him.

"CAN YA HEAR ME KNOW."

Of course we can, because you won't shut the f&*k up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

no one has ever been "OBSERVED" doing anything until they have been given the opportunity...the one thing mark jackson does have on his resume' is:

tv analyst
articulate
intelligent
former NBA player (very good one i might add)

qualities which seems to be a good starting point to being considered for a head coaching position in this league...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 18, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

The money spent has not translated into games won. In professional sports, people like competition and winning championships.

For 111 million, what does he expect fans to focus on? Does he think he could just drive around town in expensive cars, build million dollar grottos, and impregnate his girlfriend every nine months without anyone taking notice?

One thing I like about Kobe is that he brings it every night. He has that killer instinct that allows him to play at a high level.

If Kobe didn't play like a highly-paid franchise player, the media and fans would focus on his past. In professional sports, winning equals forgiveness and love.

Until Gil plays with the intensity of KB, KG, DW, or LJ, he will continue to be haunted by his salary and off-court antics.

Posted by: syvetteavery | December 18, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Hellow Arenas ,I am your fan.What makes me fell bad is not your game, it is your attitude towards your temates and the way you try to be a leader.If you want to win,you do not need to try to take over.When you take over the out come could be negative as it is so far,I want you to say i will try to make my temates better.If you try to make every body better,you will be recognized as a real leder and a super star level matured player.

Posted by: gtefferra | December 18, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

syvetteavery: "The name of the game is accountability. The fans who finance the games have a right to hold the players responsible for quality entertainment."

Players don't sign themselves. GMs do. Players don't determine their market value. Owners do.

Players are responsible for playing hard every night, to the best of their ability. For working with their teammates to win games. For representing the club and adhering to a standard of behavior in the community (lots fall down on that one.)

Who made Gilbert Arenas the $111 million dollar man? We did. We watched games and cheered and wrote letters to the editor that convinced Abe Pollin that Gilbert was worth it. OK, maybe we didn't know it at the time. Is that an excuse?

It's how free market economies work. And don't work very well.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 18, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Arenas fan but I dont thin he's judged unfairly. He SHOULD be judged based on his status as the team leader (salary-wise). I don't, however, blame the teams' losses solely on him.
If he keeps choking in the clutch, why is he in the game at the end? Boykins was supposed to be our 4th quarter hero so why not let him continue to play that role til Gil gets his mojo back? Where the hell is Foye?

Posted by: original_mark | December 18, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Figuring out why this Team isn't is what needs to be resolved period. Thats it folks. Nothing else is as or more important than that. Even if you make a trade or whatever, if you still haven't figured out how to make this Team play better it will mean nothing.....
Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 17, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Since I signed on late, I had to read all the other post before I commented. Here is my take: Larry, YOU ARE DEAD ON IT! It appears some post just to talk "barrel chatter",and that's cool, and then there are people who make a well thought out assessment of what the problem with the Wiz seems to be. I say: LarryInClintonMD For GM! That's my vote, and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Posted by: bazteal | December 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

If Gil had not been injured and missing pretty much 2 years, and then was consistently missing free throws down the stretch, or getting his pocket picked while trying to get the last shot, while averaging 23, 6, and 6, and earing $111m, all of this criticism would be fair. But in reality, what would you expect? Do you really expect Gil returning from the surgeries and 2 year layoff, to average 30, 6, and 6, and perform in the clutch like he had before right out of the box? That shows your ignorance. Give Gil credit, for when he is trying to take over the 4th quarter, he is trying to get that swagger back. As memory serves me correctly, he was the best thing to happen to this franchise since what, Wes was playing? He blew it against the Cavs in one playoff series where he nearly matched LeBron. Then everybody forgets what he had done up until that point. Then he got hurt and people turned on him. Y'all act like he is out there screwing over his wife and has umpteen women coming out the woodwork saying they dated him.

Y'all are ridiculous judging a man over a 2 month period after more than 24 months off and 3 injuries. Give him a year at least.

And don't hand me that bullcrap about you want somebody else on the team to have the ball in the 4th on THIS team. You would be lying!

See, I see how fake a lot of y'all all, cause it wasn't too long ago that those same ones was riding Caron, now y'all turning on him too.

Posted by: G-Man11 | December 18, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Also, the consensus around here was that y'all wanted Gil to average about 20,7, and 6.

Posted by: G-Man11 | December 18, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Will Gil's presence allow the Wizards to make $111 more than they would've had he not been here?
If yes, he's worth it. If not, he's not. It's THAT simple. It's a business.

I'd guess that he earned Abe more than the $65 million he was paid and is still in the black. He has time to get it going. Considering he's coming off an injury that was career threatening and is learning a new system, I think he's doing ok. He aint Agent Zero yet but we shouldnt have expected that. He's averaging a career high in assists and is still getting over 20ppg (albeit at a low 40%). He's getting it done but not quite at the level that we are used to seeing. Give him time.

On a related note, I wondered why we let our shooting coach go when EJ left. It seems to me that our shooting (particularly ft%) has suffered since he left and it's not just Gil. He definitely made a difference because it improved markedly as soon as he got here.

Can someone call Dave Hopla ...and quick ??

Posted by: original_mark | December 18, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I dont care if Gil blows a few games getting his thing back. He needs to be in there. Boykins is a good change of pace and a short term solution but Gil is our closer.
The only way he gets his mojo back is by being on the floor handling the ball in these clutch situations. I think it's an issue of self confidence. He can get it back by hitting a few late shots.

Posted by: original_mark | December 18, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Another assumption is coming back after 2 years to a new coach and system would not hinder the team.

Posted by: G-Man11 | December 18, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"CAN YA HEAR ME KNOW."

Of course we can, because you won't shut the f&*k up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2009 2:47 AM

The evidence is his playing career and his continued involvement with the game as an NBA sports announcer. He has just as much knowledge about how this game should be played equal too if not moreso than Flip Saunders.

Just because Flip has actually coached and Mark hasn't doesn't mean that given the same opportunity that Mark Jackson would not outperform him.

You of all people should know that. I know that you are from the traditional basketball purist camp and my comments rattled your cage...but your comments about whether Mark could have outperformed Flip so far are just plain wrong and show an extreme lack of insight.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't think that is evidence at all honestly Larry. Vinny Del Negro was a former player. There are a lot of former players that didn't translate. Let alone announcers who used to be coaches and players that didn't get it done.

By your reasoning Flip is more qualified. A former player who has ACTUALLY coached and won games. You can't magically assume that Mark Jackson is going to be a great coach from being an analyst.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 18, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Mark Jackson would find it's easy to sit there on tv making funny comments about AJ not playing D, quite another to actually bench him when he's 8 for 10, rolling, and the only player on your roster who can be counted on to score every night.

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we can't count on Jamison to rebound every night.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 18, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

8+ board per night...more than Dirk or KG

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Aside from Gil choking this is 95% of my problem with him. He is just a plain fool and doesn't know what to say out of his mouth. When your team is losing this compounds and magnifys what the FRANCHISE PLAYER says and does.

Gang LarryInClintonMD, is dillusional, and has been for quite a while. Ask Larry what he posted the Wiz record would be in December. Post what you said Larry, along with how great a hire Flip was, and how the Wiz would finish in the top 4 this year, and how Gil is in the top 5 PG, and how Gil..blah.blah.blah

I not only watch but observer EVERY
Wizards game and even if Gilbert was 100% you're never going to seriously contend with him as your featured/franchise/highest paid player. It's that simple. Add into the mix that he's a complete fruit-cake, nut job and you have what you're seeing on the court.

Again, I was the biggest Arenas supporter there was, but after CHOKING at the FT line against Cleveland, undermining Eddie Jordan with silly antics becuase YOU WERE LATE and he disciplined you, not shooting until the 2nd half, comments like "time to get serious" after I spent my $$ for sesaon tix, I had enough!!

I said it once and I'll say it again, the should've hired Avery or Mark to coach this team.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

8+ board per night...more than Dirk or KG

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:02 AM

And quite a bit more than the ZERO he grabbed against Charlotte or the two he snared a few games later. No, he doesn't rebound EVERY night.

Too bad he doesn't win like Dirk or KG.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 18, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

what has dirk won? the mvp? maybe we should start calling him "MeDirk"?

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

kevenjones, i hears you.

however it seems to me the totality of gil's recent comments are a positive as far as his maturity and potential leadership. He flat out blames himself for losses and takes sole responsibility for righting the ship.

that's a good thing right?

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Dirk kicked Jamison's butt to the bench and forced him to be a sixth man. So I guess he "won" their head-to-head matchup.
Dirk also "led" his team to the Finals and Jamison is no "leader".
When Jamison takes the Wizards or any team to the Finals, get back to me.
As it stands Dirk's accomplished more than Can'tTawn Jamison.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 18, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 18, 2009 10:33 AM

Am not saying that Flip isn't more qualified, am only saying that Mark's body of knowledge about the game may well be equal too or just as good as Flip's.

I googled Flip some time ago and if my memory serves me correctly he never played in the NBA. So you are wrong about that. So Mark gets way more points for actually playing the game at a high level for so many years.

However, to assume that Mark Jackson would not do well as a coach has no more validity than my assuming that he would do well.

So it does not bolster anyone's argument to shoot down my assertion when their own assertion has no more factual or non-factual basis than my own.

I am just stating that because Flip Saunders had coached before does not necessarily translate to success for the Wizards and it currently isn't and at the same time the fact that Mark Jackson hasn't coached in the NBA before does not necessarily mean that he would fail.

For anyone to dispute the basic principal in that says a lot about their intellect. We do not know whether Mark will fail or be successful, but my guess is he would succeed and would have been more successful than Flip up to this point with the Wizards.

For anyone to say that I cannot possibly know this has no more validity than my statement in the affirmative.

The bottom line is that either position can be argued, but to say my position has no validity and the opposite one does is absurd.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Dirk also "led" his team to the Finals

did you put led in quotation marks because of how he looked to Jason Terry to win games in the 4th while the Mavs blew a 3-1 lead in the Finals? Is that what you mean by "led"?

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I put it in quotes because leading his team to the Finals is "more" than Can'tTawn has done.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@KevinJones,

Those rankings of what I said about Gilbert are not my own. You might want to try googling NBA top shooting guards or point guards, and you might find where Gilbert really rates in the scheme of things.

And yeah, I did expect the Wizards to win twice as many games than they have so far, but I expected also that Flip would be doing a much better coaching job.

We can point to the players playing badly and they are, but Flip Saunders is actually coaching just as bad.

And to top it all off, we now have bloggers coming on here indicating that we may have the wrong players for Flip's system to succeed.

Well Gag me with a maggott. If we have the wrong players for Flip's system then we hired the wrong coach, but too many of you guru's would rather blame the players instead.

Give me a break.

Now, some are talking about blowing it up and finding the players that fit Flip's system.

Word to the wise you NitComPoots', you don't find players to fit a system when the players are already there and the ship has sailed. You have to fit your system to the players or guess what you knuckleheads', YOUR SHIP MIGHT START TO SINK.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Well they had the Coach, and the System and they fired Eddie Jordan.

This is the pickle with Arenas. He had an absolute great 4th quarter and overall great game on Wednesday. He did some really stupid things as well, and I guess all players are guilty of that. For example, a few times no one touched the ball but Gil, and he jacks up a jumper, or just soft ticky tack fouls.

So with the game on the line, as great as of a game he had to that point, he turned the ball over. That bascially blanks your entire game. Not a missed shot but a facing the basket turnover.

I just would like to bring Gil off the bench and until he gets his legs maybe he doesn't need to be in the game the final few minutes.

Yeah, he took the blame for these last few losses which was big of him.

But who here doubted that the missed layup, 2 back-to-back games of missed free throws in the final minutes of both games,and the turnover against the Kings, blamed anyone other than Gil??? So I'm saying he stated the obvious. Well good for you.

Now shut the f' up and fix the problem. He needs to be in a reserve role while gaining his form and his mental together.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Beep. Beep.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

people are always going to be fair weather fans in the sadly eclectic area we call home, it's easy to root for winners but not for losers, go to a caps game sometime and then go to a wiz game sometime, two wholly different experiences, people hold his injuries against him and this is a shame, the contract he signed was offered to him, if someone asked you wouldn't you take 111mil? Gil actually listens to the whiners and haters and thats his biggest issue right now, he's trying to be a "true point guard" all the while salivating over his old familiar jumpers playing a sort of half and half game where he ends up forcing passes to haywood of all people after he has already gotten 3 feet from the hole
And one more thing, I've never met bullets fan78 but boy does he sound like ignorant as hell, crybaby, parasite, glad you unleash your agony upon us all, I'm sure "cheap abe" is to blame

"Every season, my arguments get vindicated.

Posted by: bford1kb | December 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this. Gil hasn't looked himself. And I know I was one who expected him to, after all the preseason hype.

Posted by: Matte | December 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"But I'm going to give the guy a pass. I think he's going to get it back. He's still young enough, and I'd say at this point the knee has proven that it's strong enough. So it's just the mental aspect ... knocking off the rust. 2 years is a long layoff. And before he went down, he was the most exciting player in the league, bar none. So give him time. He'll get it back. He'll get it back.

Posted by: Matte | December 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse "

Based on what?

Just the mental aspect?

It's the mental aspect when there's the physical aspect, and the latter is clear in that he's physically not the same anymore.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 18, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"people hold his injuries against him and this is a shame, the contract he signed was offered to him, if someone asked you wouldn't you take 111mil?

Posted by: bford1kb | December 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse "

Gilby is responsible for his prolonged outage.

He was the one also, who demanded max money, or he would walk. He got it, and now he must measure up to it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 18, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"I'm so used to it by now." SAD SAD MAN, you two should really just go move to an island together and enjoy the the misery you have to offer one another

Posted by: bford1kb | December 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse "

As I tell all the homers here, you all have a hate for the truth. Suck it up and live with this sad team and sad season.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 18, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"so many people love to trash Gil and AJ for being horrible defenders....but how often do the same people praise Dirk and Nash? Two of the worst defenders at their positions in the entire nba, and 2 guys whose stats have gotten them individual awards while their teams win nothing.

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse "

Just win baby....Dirk and Nash do...MeTawn and Gilby don't.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 18, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

what exactly is sucking it up? and gil is not responsible for he prolonged outage the team bears that. I'm under no illusion that we aren't awful I just don't get the need to spew negativity constantly but that is and forever will be your only goal, nice, be proud my man I hope it gets your rocks off, we suck so rejoice

Posted by: bford1kb | December 18, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

1. We should be talking about Jamison's contract. He's old/injury prone and can't play defense to save his life - contributing to the team's biggest problems the past to years. I don't know why everyone thinks he's such a leader. I have never heard him blame himself when things go wrong even if he has one of his no-show games. And he continuously trashes the young players (reference last season).

2. That Amare deal is looking pretty sweet in retrospect, considering Caron's stats are the worst they've been since he came to Washington.

3. I think Javale would foul out of every game and average 4 goaltends/game if he got significant minutes.

Posted by: ericw1 | December 21, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse