Arenas getting probed for gun possession [UPDATED]

Gilbert Arenas is under investigation by the NBA and the Washington Wizards for possibly violating league rules because of alleged gun possession. CBSSports.com first reported the news, which was confirmed by a league source on Thursday afternoon.

Arenas isn't expected to receive any criminal charges, according to the source. The source wouldn't divulge where Arenas had the weapon, but the NBA's involvement suggests that he possibly brought the weapon on NBA property or during league business.

Players are allowed to legally own firearms but the collective bargaining agreement does not allow them carry weapons on league property. Arenas could receive either a fine or suspension. As CBSSports' Ken Berger reported, Sebastian Telfair was fined an undisclosed amount for carrying loaded handgun registered to his girlfriend on the Portland Trail Blazers' team plane.

Arenas was suspended for the season opener in 2004-05 after he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor weapons and vehicle charges for possessing a concealed weapon and driving without a license in 2003. The investigation is expected to be completed soon, according to the source. A team spokesperson could not be reached for comment. When reached by text message on Thursday, Arenas said he would release a statement later today.

UPDATE: The Wizards and NBA both released statements acknowledging the situation.

"The Washington Wizards have learned that Gilbert Arenas stored firearms in a locked container in his locker, unloaded and without ammunition," the Wizards' statement read. "The Wizards organization and Arenas promptly notified the local authorities and the NBA, are cooperating fully with law enforcement during its review of this matter and will have no further comment at this time."

"We're aware of the situation and are working to gain a full understanding of the facts and relevant legal issues," the NBA said in a statement.

Arenas will not release a statement.

By Michael Lee  |  December 24, 2009; 4:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 109, Bucks 97 [UPDATED]
Next: Foye discusses return to Minnesota

Comments

Arenas u fawkin dumbass!

Posted by: Evomaniac | December 24, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope it was an honest mistake, you never know.

Posted by: zxhoya | December 24, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It's a league made up of thugs anyway. Why anyone watches is beyond me?

Posted by: hounddog1 | December 24, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, he didn't shoot himself in the leg now did he?

Posted by: richs91 | December 24, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, he didn't shoot himself in the leg now did he?"

Lol, yeah really. :)

Here's the thing...all pro athletes are targets for criminals. Now, if he legally has it but carried into MCI then he should be fined.

I used to look down on athletes carrying weapons, but if I were a professional athlete I would probably carry one also and hate the things.

Arenas is no thug, maybe a big dummy but that's how I see him.

Maybe they will fine him that $111 mil he was crying so much about last week. ;)

- ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 24, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel like this happened when Cleveland was in town ? Don't need CSI to figure this one out.

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess the NBA feels it's above the US Constitution. I guess they'll learn the hard way.

Posted by: askgees | December 24, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Happy Holidays to all! BTW F - Dallas

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | December 24, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan | December 24, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

This prohibition is part of the union agreed upon rules or CBA.

If you don't like the rules, don't join the union.

If you aren't in the union, you can't play.

It's one of the problems with unions even though we must acknowledge the great achievements for working people through the years by unions.

They ain't perfect.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 24, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

If I made the kind of coin Arenas makes, I'd be packing heat as well. There are a lot of nuts and extorionists out there. The constitution provides the right to have a weapon. I have no problem w/ this. If he violated a league policy on where he had his weapon, he should pay the fine and move on. This is a very minor story....

Posted by: randysbailin | December 24, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

NEWS FLASH! He was keeping it under the bench in case Haywood tried to rough him up.

Posted by: DaleGribble | December 24, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

He is not a felon, so he can possess a gun if he wants. This is a non story. I guess he cannot possess one in Wash DC, so this makes it a story, but w/no police involvement, again it is a non story.

Posted by: cr10 | December 24, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Arenass, is an idiot.

Posted by: dashriprock | December 24, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

They should be allowed to carry guns. Can you imagine the amount of crazy women fans and their husbands who might be after their butts?

Posted by: charlietuna666 | December 24, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the NBAPA and the NRA and CATO Institute need to get together an come up with a common sense plan to let the thugs in the NBA carry open or concealed in any caliber they want. They could bring it up at the next collective bargaining session. If they can't agree maybe come up with a plan were the wanna be thugs in the NBA developmental league could carry on league property. We don't need any Plaxico issues right here in our hometown.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, Navyblues_23452 that was a well thoughtout racist remark, the league is not made up of thugs on the contrary the NBA players association has league wide seminars to discourage it's players from carrying concealed weapons of any kind,in light of the Sean Taylor tragedy you'll find high profile athlete's wanting to protect themselves, maybe Mr.Arenas has been targeted by someone and felt the need to protect himself and his family,the fact that these players are well paid makes them vulnerable so i wouldn't refer to them as thugs no more than i would refer to players in MLB as "rednecks" or "crackers"try using a little perspective the next time you post it might open your eyes,oh yeah, happy kwanza.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 24, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Not much to it. Like wrongly having alcohol in his locker. Guns are not illegal and neither is alcohol, but laws and policies control where you can possess and use each.

But the guy who carried the loaded gun on the team airplane... now there's a good story. Oh the times I've become annoyed with the bad service and rude fellow passengers and wished I had a gun at 33,000 feet. More guns in the sky, that's what America needs.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 24, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Well with hounddog1's comment I guess racism and stereotype still exist in America. What a shame!!!

Posted by: mertmyers | December 24, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Take it easy dargregmag. Don't go there with the race card. The NBA has its fair share of European players. Our struggling team the Wizards needs its one real star on the court. We don't need him getting hemmed up like the Cav's Delonte West did right near here in PG county. Relax on the use of the word thug. Look around at all the tatoos and listen to the rap music of today. It praises the gangsta lifestyle. That post was about sensible gun policy not race.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he wanted to do "shots" with Ron Artest at halftime next month.

Posted by: elfreako | December 24, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Becareful elfreako about saying anything bad about Ron Artest. You might offend someone. He has been arrested for domestic violence and couldn't be bothered to feed his dog in Sacramento but as of late no weapons charges. He may not be a thug but the Post's own Michael Wilbon refered to him as a King-Sized nuisance back in 2006.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 5:58 PM

jthicks,
I felt the same thing and pray that it wasn't when cleveland was in town. Anyway, the league knows more than we do along with a few other players if you know what I mean. This could be the beginning of a big story..Maybe bigger than Tiger. Stay tuned.

Posted by: MILLER123 | December 24, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Is rapper The Game a thug? He is like Hibachi's best friend. Arenas is listed on his albums. The more you learn about Agent Zero the more you have to worry.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, Atheletes are targeted by criminals. The man has a right to protect his safety.

Posted by: MeviousMan | December 24, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse "

Hey apologist idiot...that's why he should have hired a bodyguard.

What good will an unloaded weapon do for your "protection" anyway?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 24, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to break such a huge rule by having a gun, why would you not have bullets? That's just extra stupid. The gun is pretty useless without bullets. Unless your plan is to scare somebody, in which case buy a toy. Oh well, maybe Arenas' agent can explain to him that he doesn't live in the wild west.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | December 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 5:58 PM

jthicks,

Miller123
I have never wanted to be so wrong before. YIKES !!

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 5:58 PM

So lee, you removed my post because I felt the same way jthicks felt? All I'm saying is stay tuned. This could be a big story, especially if Gilbert doesn't release a statement and squash this thing now.

Posted by: MILLER123 | December 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what kind of trash talk he will hear on the court after hr found toting a gun with no bullets?

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas everybody...

I thought you guys would find this funny...or completely stupid.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 24, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok the post had disappeared for a minute.

jthicks, I'm with you man. I hope we are both wrong. If we are, we'll wipe the sweat off our foreheads, take a deep breath and go..Whew! If we'll right, we still do the same being Gilbert fans and all. I getting to the point where I'm going to watch tv with the sound muted.

Posted by: MILLER123 | December 24, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag -in light of the Sean Taylor tragedy you'll find high profile athlete's wanting to protect themselves??????!!!!!!

Taylor was charged in 2005 with aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and misdemeanor battery. He used the gun to threaten some one , not the other way. This was well before the break-in at his home and his unfortunate death.

"After my daughter was born, I was just like, 'I don't need these anymore.'"

This is an interesting position. I would think having a child would make you more protective. If he lived in DC where they are illegal, ok. But it shows that he had one for just the same reason many athletes do, to be follow the image.

Posted by: bal503 | December 24, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Sounds "innocent/good intentioned" enough, if you believe him, but still stupid.

Question now is when's the paternity test.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 24, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Miller123:
I think the theory is a stretch ... but it does make you wonder. His play on the court for that couple of weeks sure wasn't reflective of a man who had his bearings. It was a tough period.

Posted by: jthicks | December 24, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Shooting blanks on the court....shooting blanks off.

LOL!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 24, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

If you conspiracy types want to go back and look at the night in question. On Dec 1oth the Wiz were home against the now first place Cetics. Agent Zero had a good night he shot 11-23 with 3 Reb and 8 Ast for 25 points. Caron Butler and Randy Foye on the other hand both shot 3-10 from the floor. The Wiz lost a close one 102-104. The officials were Eric Lewis, Dan Crawford and Courtney Kirkland.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rcupps | December 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Locked away in a box and unloaded? Non-issue. The real issue here is Agent Zero playing point guard. He needs to be out on the wing , slashing and scoring, spotting up for open looks, not dishing the rock. The Wizards need to trade for a good point guard. And a center. And a stopper on defense. And more depth. And...

Posted by: rcupps | December 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse "

That's what happens when Boinkins gets into the game.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 24, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.....Gilby says that he doesn't need guns any more in his house after the birth of his daughter...

Will he now be throwing stinky diapers instead at burglars? I'll bet he misses.

Oh, BTW, which tooth of Gilby's got knocked out at the Bucks game?

Gilby E. Neumann

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 24, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts20 | December 25, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts20

Gun owners do that all the time

At some point we all are stupid kids Gilbert as we know maybe took longer than others. I think we could be watching a growth experience for Gilbert.

Posted by: lightagent | December 25, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lightagent | December 25, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe Gil feels like his kids are starting to get of the age where they could find the guns and shoot

Posted by: dlts20 | December 25, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse "

That's why there are things called "gun locks."

Ammo can be locked up also.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"BTW...Give me several million dollars and star power @ 21 and I guarantee I'm in the news all the time....and Im known as a very responsible person in real life.

Posted by: lightagent | December 25, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse "

Still no excuse.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 25, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Question is: is it the same gun he pointed at Grunfeld for the $ 111 million?

Posted by: horace1 | December 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Question is: is it the same gun he pointed at Grunfeld for the $ 111 million?

Posted by: horace1 | December 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah!!!! LOL funny. Thanks for starting CHRISTMAS ofrf on the right foot.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

bal503:

"If Arenas has been targeted by someone and felt the need to protect himself and his family, call the police."

"Hello police, SHAQ has been prowling around the outside of my crib. Send over a squad car - check that, send over the S.W.A.T. team. Out."

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 25, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Question is: is it the same gun he pointed at Grunfeld for the $ 111 million?

Posted by: horace1 | December 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah!!!! LOL funny. Thanks for starting CHRISTMAS off on the right foot.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 25, 2009 10:02 AM

Its more sad than funny... Merry Christmas anyway.

Posted by: horace1 | December 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Let's keep it real though, if Gil played in Memphis, Houston or San Antonio this wouldn't even be news.

Regional reaction to gun possession varies wildly around North America.

Fans in Tennessse or Texas might be asking "Why wouldn't a player have a gun in their locker?"

Posted by: elfreako | December 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The NRA ought to get Arenas to teach a gun-safety course. If every gun owner stored and transported weapons in such a meticulously safety-conscious manner, there wouldn't be any accidental shootings.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | December 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This from ESPN.com:

"It happened like Dec. 10. Right after my daughter was born," Arenas said. "I decided I didn't want the guns in my house and around the kids anymore, so I took them to my lockbox at Verizon Center. Then like a week later, I turned them over to team security and told them to hand them over to the police, because I don't want them anymore. I wouldn't have brought them to D.C. had I known the rules. After my daughter was born, I was just like, I don't need these anymore."

Posted by: pjkiger1 | December 25, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Question is: is it the same gun he pointed at Grunfeld for the $ 111 million?

Posted by: horace1 | December 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse "

I'm sure EG wishes he had that gun right about now...given his success to date.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 25, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"This from ESPN.com:

Posted by: pjkiger1 | December 25, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse "

Which is why I replied that Gilby will be throwing dirty diapers at any burglar instead of shooting guns.

Gilby might still miss though, unless he's 5 ft. away.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 25, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That post was about sensible gun policy not race.

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 24, 2009 8:50 PM

lol @ suggesting the Cato Institute could create a sensible policy. the racist, ignorant comments must stop.

Posted by: prescrunk | December 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Looking over the prospects for next year's draft, seems like the bloviators continue to like John Wall of Kentucky. He's a fabulous athlete, all right, and seems to be developing an outside shot. After him comes Derrick Favors of Georgia Tech, Evan Turner of O-State (who's hurt), and Ed Davis of North Carolina.

I dunno, I've seen them all at least once, and the only one who looked vaguely NBA-ready was Turner. But then he's a junior, isn't he? The kid at Syracuse, Wes Johnson, is getting a lot of attention because of his shooting and defense. He's older too, having spent a couple seasons wandering through the college ranks.

There's no obvious choice like Blake Griffin. Yet.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | December 25, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by prescrunk:the racist, ignorant comments must stop.

Hey preskrunk stop giving a free pass to millionair athletes. He has made a real bad choice here. One not knowing NBA policy. Two not knowing the local laws. Ask yourself what was going on on Dec 10th. The Celtics were in town that night. Why was he carrying? What was going on in his head? I don't buy that I just because his daughter was born. I am sorry if you anyone was offended by the term thug. How about thug hockey player Alex Ovechkin leading the team in penalty mins. Shame on him.
Back to Arenas, look at who is friends are. Like rapper The Game. Listen to his lyrics. Agent Zero is no hero. He hangs out with a tough crowd. Maybe he should pick better friends and make better choices. Does that give you a warmer fuzzy?

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 25, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you can't argue with guilt by association.

Posted by: djnnnou | December 25, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Gil lives in VA...We Virginian's are pretty adamant about our gun rights.

You can take a gun through DC if you have it locked and with no bullets.

Evidentally you can't have it in Verizon Center.

Gil - keep it locked up my man and then do some target shooting to make sure you know how to use it.

And trust me...Gil doesn't have to worry about b&e's where he lives. It's not Maryland or DC afterall.

Posted by: Blurred | December 25, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"I don't buy that I just because his daughter was born."
Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 25, 2009 6:23 PM

Arenas decided he no longer wanted firearms around his home, regardless of what his reason was.
Arenas erred in taking firearms to an NBA facility and he will answer for it, period. Nothing else. There is no need to bring thugs, rappers or Ovechkin into it.

Posted by: rickgonz | December 25, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who discovered the fruits of the crime. Was it a trainer, player, coach or the towel boy? Who ever it was put Gil in a bind. So what is the easiest most PC statement to make? Its child safety! Oh yea we can sell that to NBA and the cops. They will love it. Maybe they will just give him a slap on the wrist?

Posted by: Navyblues_23452 | December 25, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Wait.

What "tough" crowd does Gil hang out with? No Gilbert Arenas is a thug? Are we being serious here?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 25, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 25, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Arenas getting probed for gun possession?

Damn. Sounds painful.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 26, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

"By the way, among tall guys who can score inside (the Wiz' most obvious need), there's Favors, Cole Aldrich of Kansas, Cousins the bulky freshman at Kentucky, and a couple Europeans. Everybody else looks like a real project."

That'll only matter if they go into the draft still thinking they're one player away from being a title contender. If so, it'll only prove that they haven't learned anything from this season. If, as most suspect, this offseason will be ground zero for some major renovations, they can afford to wait a year or two for the payoff. What other realistic choice do they have?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 26, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Hope we get lucky on this one and Gilbert gets fined only. Cannot afford for Gilbert to miss games now. We need him. Hope the NBA conspirators see it the same way.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 26, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Forget need or position and take the best talent on the board. If the guy can play they can find a way to use him (either on the team or as trade bait).Posted by: kalo_rama"

Thus begins the argument about who's the best, right? That'll start in earnest around mid-February and continue til about two weeks after the draft.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I find it very odd that a responsible gun owner like Gilbert Arenas who has his firearms without ammo in a locked box is criticized and derided by supposed Wizards fans, while there is not even a peep of an issue about Delonte West carrying two loaded handguns and a shotgun in a guitar case while riding his Can-Am Spyder around the beltway.
There are some people who shiver in anticipatory delight wanting something, anything to go wrong with the Wizards. Are you fans or trolls?

Posted by: rickgonz | December 26, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Thus begins the argument about who's the best, right?"

Not from me. I haven't even begun paying enough attention to college bball yet to hazard a guess. And, really, at this point I don't even care. I'm simply saying that, given the Wizards' circumstance, it doesn't matter what position the "best" player plays. They can't afford to be that choosy.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 26, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse