Celtics (17-4) at Wizards (7-12)

Wizards starters: Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young, Caron Butler, Andray Blatche, Brendan Haywood

Celtics: Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Kendrick Perkins

Line: Celtics by 8

The Wizards will unveiled a court black logo and a patch on Thursday to honor the legacy of Abe Pollin, who died three weeks ago at 85. The logo features his first name, "Abe," and is on both sides of the court. The patch will be on their home and road uniforms.

"To be honest, I wish we didn't have to wear it," Wizards Coach Flip Saunders said before the game. "I wish he was still here to watch us play, but he's not. We know that he's always going to be watching us, and he's going to be our biggest fan."

"He's such a big part of what this city has when you talk about basketball," Saunders said. "It's a great honor. It's good for people around the NBA when they go on the road, they'll see the patch and they'll want to know why. It will be a good situation to explain not only the influence he had with our team, but the NBA."

In a prepared statement, President Ernie Grunfeld said, "We're proud to honor Mr. Pollin as a team by wearing the patch on our jerseys. It's also appropriate that his name will be featured on the court at Verizon Center, a building that stands as a testament to his vision, generosity and commitment to making his community a better place."

Saunders was asked to compare Gilbert Arenas's comeback from a left knee injury to Celtics forward Kevin Garnett's comeback from a right knee injury. "The difference is, KG missed half a year. He had one surgery. Gilbert had three and he's missed two years. You have to be patient. I think everyone does," he said. "I think like everything, when you step on the court, no one cares that you had an injury or whatever. On the contrary, they are going to try to test you out. at times he's showed he's got his explosiveness and his quickness. At times he shows when he comes down, it's going to be a little bit stiffer. And what happens is the stiffer times will be fewer and far between."

Guard Mike Miller was walking around with a bounce in his step on Wednesday. "I got my swag back," Miller boasted. He added that he might start running next week.

Mike James is back healthy, but he remains on the inactive list. "I haven't even thought about it," Saunders said. "He's had one practice. He hasn't been around for five weeks and right now we've got a lot of people at that spot."

By Michael Lee  |  December 10, 2009; 7:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Boston Celtics
Next: Celtics 104, Wizards 102

Comments

Here we go. Looking good against a top opponent. The type of play that would have us at 12-7 and not the other way around. I knew this would be a ball game. Glad to see a lot of minutes for AJ, AB, BH front court. Seems CB will start seeing less minutes as he should.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Everytime Gilbert turns the ball over, Shaq busts inside his baby mama.

Posted by: awb9h | December 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...what is this retarded lineup to start the 2nd??? No wonder we lost the lead. There is not enough offense or defense with this lineup. C'mon Flip. This is a game where the starters are going to have to play 40 mins if they want to win.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you! McGee is in. Oberto should have never seen the court.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So Gilby accuses his teammates of having ulterior motives and now he says he wants to be in the all star game.

Any shred of credibility has evaporated.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@awb9h,

Dude. Your reported. Ridiculous comment moron!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

How many times are we going to read a quote from Jamison saying that they fell in love with the 3 and then watch him chuck it up from 3?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Such a promising beginning ruined. I guess Flip thought Rasheed was too crafty for McGee and I've yet to see these guys push the ball off misses.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

And this team is completely embarrassing. Arenas' is a tenth of a player he was, Jamison is his own worse enemy, and Caron appears to be washed up.

Posted by: awb9h | December 10, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Zardsfan1,

If I'm not mistaken Jamison's first shot was a three. He probably took three of 'em in the first quarter alone or at least three deep jumpers.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Don't get these lineups in 2nd. McGee had hosed and he gets pulled although his last foul was a classic knucklehead play by him. Haywood should have been in much earlier. Boykins is doing ZERO and should have been pulled after 5 mins of giving Arenas rest. You think Arenas looks better off the ball?? Yeah, right. And, it looks like he has his legs this game. Get Boykins out of there. He can catch lightening in a bottle but he is not an everyday every opponent player. That's why he was out of the league. NY was playing well too and no 2nd quarter mins. I put the second quarter on FS.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS BOYKINS IN THE GAME???? I'm getting so pissed. He's destroying us this game!!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I love watching him dribble for 15 secs of the shot clock at the top of the key without passing and when he does he has not angles bc he is too small!!! What f'ing game are you watching FS???

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

If the Wiz would show some patience and work the ball inside they could make a game of it.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

This has to be the sorriest team in the NBA. At least the Nets play with a purpose and are building a future with a strong inside/outside presence in Lopez and Harris and loads of cap space.
And all of you that have been saying that the Wiz are good defensively are either blind or misinformed.
The scary part is that they seem totally lost and I still can't pinpoint a strategy.
As much as I like Flip, I am questioning his leadership and he has to take the blame for these sorry performances.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 10, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Any shred of credibility has evaporated.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he will be selected to the all star game, the cowboys dome is too cold.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 10, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

"Everytime Gilbert turns the ball over, Shaq busts inside his baby mama."
this should not be allowed on here and I'd feel bad for you if I didn't wish you were every bit of the horrible person you are and gil being a tenth of what he used to be? so he used to average 200 points a game and 60 assists?

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert really sucks too! He plays no D and never goes for any rebounds! I have not seen any offensive rebound yet by the other Wizards. I hope the Ernie makes a move soon and just stop this lousy experiment. It is not working!!!

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 10, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

dcman give it up, no one cares about your tireless hate

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I was waiting until people would finally see what Boykins is. You can't change what you are. He is a career what 41% shooter? That can be a spark but should be a player you depend on. LET ALONE a "closer"

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

either way this squad is sad

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, zero rebounds in second.

Embarrassing.

That is on FS. This game screams for the AB,AJ,BH front court. Inserting Oberto was absurd as was the entire lineup to start to the second. Boykins should have been yanked after about 4 mins. You saw as soon as FS went back to GA and NY back court we started scoring again. Too bad that was 5/6 mins too late!!!!

Second half - Boykins gets 5 mins max or we have no chance. FS has to go with a bigger front court. I would actually start with it. CB is MIA again and getting mins for no reason.

Finally, any calls not go the Celtics way????

lol..yeah, of course, they throw up a stinker so Charles can roast them on national TV. But, then again, they deserve it.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Geez I need to stop typing on this iphone...he SHOULDNT be a player you depend on.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Geeeee, I wonder why they haven't been doing that, this would resolve all their issues!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 10, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

either way this squad is sad

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a sad squad built by a phenomenAl GM!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@SDM,

Thank you! I've been saying the same thing. He is not a "true" PG. He had a couple of nice games. Great. Like I said, he can catch lightning in a bottle particularly against lesser teams and you can ride him on those occasions. This game he was pathetic in the 2nd and FS should have recognized it much sooner than he did. After about 4 possessions, I knew he should be pulled, but GA did need some rest. Then he kept him in the game when GA returned which was moronic when you consider that NY played well.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

FS might need to get ejected in the second half! lol

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the best thing that can happen for this team is that Boykins gets hurt...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1

What's your point?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

EMBARRASSING!!! Flip being outcoached; and just in case any of you EJ haters have forgotten(rphilli721) EJ swept the Celtics the 07-08 season and Caron had his way in every game,no offensive continuity whatsoever and EJ didn't have the depth that Flip has now and he outcoached Doc Rivers in every game that year,see gentleman when EJ was here this team had an offensive identity something that they lack right now, listen Flip's a good coach in a bad situation(yeah Flip you got Ernie to thank for that)just heard Sir Charles say on TNT that the Bullets stink for the umpteenth time and now he's telling Tiger that he's there for him(yeah you both got something in common)anyway it will take a miracle for this team to finish at.500 this year.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

How about the one fast break where Butler didn't cut off the ball and allowed Ray Allen to go the distance for a dunk?? Pathetic. I am so sick of CB at this point. I will say this about Charles statement. He is right when he says there is no leadership on this team or certainly not enough of it.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn Stevenson starts the second half??

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Kenny Smith says basketball 101. In transition find the ball and stop the ball.

Zero rebounds in the 2nd Q. Ties an alltime NBA record.

If this keeps up, I gonna start bringing up Mark Jackson. Yawl know he was my choice.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Have they finally figured out they should be pressuring the defense inside?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it refreshing to watch a well analyzed game on a real sports network? Yes, I'm talking about TNT.

Charles Barkley: "Wizards stink....I've been saying it for the past 3.5 years...they need to blow the team up....they have no leader."

CWebb: "Effort and talent is not there...the whole team went without a rebound in the 2nd quarter."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

"dcman give it up, no one cares about your tireless hate

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse "

What you hate is the truth.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Zero rebounds in the 2nd Q. Ties an alltime NBA record.

I don't think you can break that record.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Butler is a moron. Had his classic stupid turnover and blew a dunk. WTF? Every game the same thing.

Nice 3rd quarter though and we are actually getting calls?? No. DS making some plays for all you haters.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Our starters are thoroughly outplaying theirs. If we go to Boykins for extended minutes this game, we lose. Only players off the bench the rest of the game should be Blatche and Boykins just enough to get GA a few minutes rest.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

A fastbreak!!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys just hear that? Brendan Haywood turned down a 32-33 million contract this summer from the Wizards.

I don't recall that ever being a subject of this blog.

Am I the only one that missed that?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Haywood's bad hands just cost a basket.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Bad play by DS. Blew a 3 on 2 fast break before. Fundamentals. Zero spacing on the break.

How bad does CB have to play before AB gets his minutes? This is getting ridiculous!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

If I was coaching Steveson, he would never get off my bench again for what he just did. That was totally uncalled for and classless and destroys the momentum. Let the guy have the layup. Geez.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Caught it too Larry. And I don't blame him for not wanting to resign. He's having a great season (minus the free throw line) on both ends of the court. He's also the only one trying on the team, I'm sure he can't wait to get out of the toxic Wizards locker room.

Posted by: awb9h | December 10, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

BLOW.THIS.TEAM.UP.

Posted by: awb9h | December 10, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

EMBARRASSING!!! Flip being outcoached; and just in case any of you EJ haters have forgotten(rphilli721) EJ swept the Celtics the 07-08 season and Caron had his way in every game,no offensive continuity whatsoever and EJ didn't have the depth that Flip has now and he outcoached Doc Rivers in every game that year,see gentleman when EJ was here this team had an offensive identity something that they lack right now, anyway it will take a miracle for this team to finish at.500 this year.

And you see how Eddie is working out in Philly. I don't understand your man crush for Jordan. They've played 19 games...no they dont have it together yet. They may not have an offensive identity yet....but the 76ers have no heart.

A weak coach that says I'll let Iverson play as much as he wants. I wouldn't want Eddie to run my team. He has no control just like he didn't have any here.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Dumb deep two by Jamison early in the clock. They came back working the ball inside and now they fall in love with jumpers again.
They can still win this game if they don't panic.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I think that blown fast break then subsequent foul by DS was the game. We get a lead and just go to sleep again. I am getting tired of this team. Then AB was put in and I was hoping for him to replace Butler after he just missed a layup and he replaces BH??? WTF. Just tired of this complete ignorance. Now Boykins will come in and stink up the joint. Game over!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@SDM,

He's stupid. EJ is a second rate coach compared to FS. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Oh god, here comes Boykins and Foye. Game over!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

No not Boykins....Put Foye in before him...Foye and Young...just not Boykins...

I might eat my words...but whatever.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Way to get the break going, Foye!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a bad team at just about every position. Jamison makes absolutely no effort on defense and loves the 3 only when he shoots it. Caron can't dribble without turning it over. Gilby can barely run without stumbling.

Larry, I agree. I would have pulled Dsteve and sent him to the locker room for that crap.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 10, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

That's funny we put up Boykins comments at the same time.

Geez...Everytime down court he's dribbling for 15-17 seconds on the shot clock.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Damn I'm good. Blatche is tearing it up. Staying in the game despite Boykins making no plays, shots, and getting abused on defense. Enough rest for GA, time to pull Boykins or we will lose.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I like this lineup...let's see what happens.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Jamison with another three??? What's wrong wih this guy??!!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

C'mon FS. You take Boykins out. Great. Then you go with Blatche at center. Just don't get it? Where's BH?

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Blatche providing the inside presence!!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS HAYWOOD NOT IN THE GAME??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Blatche has to rotate quicker to contest Rondo...that hurt.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Boston is going to score on every possession.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Quick three by Jamison. WTF is wrong with him?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind Blatche being in the game...Doesn't let the defense collapse.

Damn Gil...free throws...I was just about to say he looks quicker in the 4th than he usually does.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Arenas missed 2 key free throws. Didn't Verizon Center personnel get the memo to turn up the heat, Gil doesn't like it when it's cold.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 10, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Right now I would take BH shooting foul shots over Arenas so that can't be it. Arenas looks terrible at the line.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

That seemed like a 5 second violation....

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 10, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

What was that??!!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy with the performance in the second half. Aside from the terrible free throw shooting, it looks like we might have the return of Agent 0

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 10, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why Haywood was not put back into the game. I can understand Blatche getting PT but not at Haywoods expense, especially the game he was having.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, the collective IQ is not too high. Foye - stupid stupid play. Bad shot selection. AJ jacking 3's. When is this team going to realize that they should not shoot 3's unless you are wide open after ball movement or your name is MM.

We win this game if GA hit his free throws though.

The lineup at the start of the second was the biggest reason we lost this game IMO. Just pathetic coaching. Yeah, they played poorly in the second, but the lineups made absolutely no sense until the bleeding had begun big time. I think players were playing together for the first time together ever in a real game and it looked like it. That is on FS!!!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

These guys came out of that last timeout in panic mode. Plenty of time and Gil takes a quick three, then Foye shoots with NO IDEA how much time he has. This team is frustrating to say the least!

Posted by: tgif11 | December 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

No whisper of sweet nothings into Gilby's ear needed this time.

He choked on the free throw line and cost the team the game.

Reggie Miller had a classic quote with Gilby's prayer 3 at the end:

"Is that the best shot you can take coming off a timeout with 14 seconds left? A couple of dribbles to your left and a long 3?"

Good gracious!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

"However, they lost but I still feel pretty good about this game. They did not go out like that punk second quarter they played.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse "

Moral victories and a $1 won't buy you a cup of coffee at 7-11.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@Larry,

I know. Poorly coached game. Worst coaching I've seen from FS was in that second quarter. He got things mostly correct in the second half including little to no Boykins, but no center down the stretch was a mistake. Notice Boston drove to the basket on 3 straight possessions with no center there?? That is called team IQ. Something we sorely lack.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

AB clearly should have gotten more touches in the game, but instead, Gilby took 23 shots and MeTawn took 14.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

AJ stunk it up along with Butler tonight. Come to think of it, not sure how it was so close. Guess that would be bc of Blatche, Haywood and Arenas. Thing that really got me though was AJ on 3/4 occasions was right there in front of a jump shooter and didn't jump and get his arms up. I know he is bad defensively, but he was flat out lazy on those plays. He usually gives effort even though he is disadvantaged most of the time. Those are the types of plays that would get a NY or a McGee benched.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

@DC_MAN,

Hey, a constructive good comment...lol. It goes to team IQ. Blatche is hot, but doesn't get enough touches. He did on three straight possessions, which I loved, but then doesn't get another set call the rest of the game. Instead we get AJ jacking 3's and Butler finding ways to blow plays.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

What I see as the problem is controversay amongst the player personnel. We need to move some folks in favor of solid citizens who play ball unselfishly. And that shove by DeSHAWN was un-necessary. Poor citizenship in my book. This is what lack of accountability by ownership brings. But a new day is a-dawning with the WIZARDS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"Poor citizenship in my book.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse "

Did he commit a crime, or did you mean "poor sportsmanship?"

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

0 rebounds in the second. And how many dimes for the game?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

If Flip Flop called the play where Gilby took 3 steps to the left and launched a 3 after having 14 seconds at the TO, then someone should slap Flip.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 10, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

No, citizenship. I'm referring to team chemistry, to respect for himself, his team-mates and the game. His responsibilities as a part of a squad of professional players. Citizenship in relation to the WIZARDS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I think our problem is not a talent issue 1-12. It's an intangibles/leadership issue. We play stupidly and have a losers mentality especially when it counts. Yeah, we have enough talent to compete with the very best teams as we saw tonight, but we can lose to bad teams easily as well. That makes you very average at best.

I'm starting the trade CB bandwagon. He is by far my least favorite player at the moment (talk about loser mentality) and is our most tradeable player. Since about mid-season last year it seems to me he has quit on this team.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

"Poor citizenship in my book."

"Did he commit a crime, or did you mean poor sportsmanship?"

lol...yeah, right. I think you could easily call DS a dirty player. I do wish more players on our team played with his hustle and hard-nosed mentality though. If they did, we would be a vastly improved team. He is the real "tuff juice" on this team.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

0 rebounds in the second. And how many dimes for the game?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:23 PM

Don't get your point.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

He seems to want out of D.C. and has since last mid-season. I read you 5 by 5.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

0 rebounds in the second. And how many dimes for the game?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:23 PM

Don't get your point.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

How many assists did the WIZ have tonight. I thought the slang for assists was "dimes."

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

When you don't have the mental discipline to play properly it not only reflects on the entire team, it hurts the result. The opposing players see that and become more determined to overcome it. Playing hard is fine, but there's a line that must not be crossed. He did unfortunately.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

But back to this Haywood thing. Was he really offered 32-33 mil to resign this summer and turned it down?

I don't recall it being a subject on this blog. If so, why am I the only who missed it?

For all the time that Haywood has been bantered around here for whatever reason, I don't recall ever seeing a posting that the Wizards offered to resign him this summer.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:46 PM

True, but I still don't get your point.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

1) why was Nick Young pulled so fast?
2) Why doesn't CB not have to pay for his bad play?
3) Why is FS afraid to play AB BH together?
4) Why can't this team play faster?

I would love to see this line up in the game together once:

GA
RF
NY
AB
BH

Posted by: lemekdivine | December 10, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

@Larry,

DS did have the best +/- on the team. If you take away that dirty play, he was great.

We outscored Boston every quarter except the second. What a horrendous coaching job by FS in that quarter!

Hopefully we never see this lineup again:

Boykins PG
Foye SG
Oberto C
Blatche PF
Butler SF

Why in the world did FS think that lineup would be successful? Then after 3 straight fouls on Oberto we get McGee instead. Yippee!!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 10, 2009 11:49 PM

Now this I get and he certainly crossed the line. And Flip left him in the game. To Boston's credit they did not respond in kind which shows the discipline and professionalism of there Team.

I commented in the past when Taps was the coach that the crazies was running the asylum, but when Flip came in that type of thing would be a thing of the past. I hope he dosen't prove me wrong.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

with the score tied 98-98. Gilbert letting Rondo drive baseline for a dunk is UNEXCUSEABLE!!!!! (can't remember if you drop the e or not on this word)

Posted by: lemekdivine | December 11, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@Lemme,

Fantastic questions. I have the exact same ones. Don't know about NY at SF though in your lineup. No thanks. I would play AB, AJ, and BH frequently and often though.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 11, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

lol...GA is not exactly known for defense. What was bad was not having Haywood in the game to guard the rim.

Barkley just said Unseld is "rolling over in his grave." Idiot!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 11, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@Larry,

RP, I must admit that I don't really know whether +/- really translates to success for your team.

But what I do know is that when that play was committed, the run was over for the Wizards.

What some players don't realize is that when a player has clearly beaten you in most cases just let him score. But whilst he scores if you needlessly hack him, or commit an egregious unprofessional play like DSteve did, it gives them more points, spurs them on and destroys your own momentum.

How does +/- figure into that.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

They play 15 games in Dec, how many wins will they have come New Years Day?

@ Tor win w 106 - 102
@ Pho loss BB game
vs Phi win
@ Mil loss BB game
@ Min win
@ Mem loss
vs Olk loss BB game

I have them going 7-8 since nobody knows when Miller is coming back.

That puts them at 12-18 with 52 games left.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 11, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

getting hard to stick with this team. was at the game tonight and defensive rotation was terrible. no one (particularly gilbert) could stop rondo off of the dribble and poor decisions down the stretch. i need stories of how gilbert is taking 5,000 free throws a day and waking up rebounders to shoot jumpers at 2 am on off nights to stay motivated to sit through 2-3 hours of ultimate disappointment.

Posted by: thickman22 | December 11, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

78, excuse my igness' but what do you mean by BB game?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

THE WASHINGTON WIZARDS ARE TRYING TO WIN BALL GAMES...THEY ARE DOING THE BEST THEY CAN WITH WHAT THEY HAVE ON THE ROSTER...THE EFFORT IS THERE. THIS WILL GET BETTER...I WILL BACK THIS TEAM BECAUSE I AM A SUPPORTER OF THIS SQUAD! THE WIZARDS WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS...AND IF THEY DON'T THEN THEY WILL NEXT YEAR! WW 4 LIFE!!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 11, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

name 7 guards in the nba with better skill sets than gil arenas...be serious and evaluate their all-around game.

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 11, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

@Larry,

What? Yeah, that was a bad play, but that does not nullify all the good he did on the court or the team did with him in the lineup. During the minutes he played we were up 9. Nothing deceiving about that. Then again, Blatche was on the court with that ill-conceived lineup of FS in the 2nd quarter and he had one the worst +/- ratings when he played a better game than AJ and CB.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 11, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Very disappointing game. We are not nearly close to the eastern elite yet despite the close score. Our defense was atrocious. The only reason we came back was because the Celts had lapses.

Blatche deserved to have some of Butlers minutes tonight, not Haywood's. AB is in a major funk right now.

Stevenson, though he played solid defense, is a total embarrassment- the dirty foul, the face waving...horrible.

Regarding the TNT broadcasters it was as usual an honest but tough to hear accessment of our beloved team. I wish the players could have heard the comments. Sadly all those TNT guys do is share what is obvious but we seldom hear from the locals: no transition defense, Celts had match-up advantages, too many jump shots, poor interior defense, etc.

The west coast trip will either bond this group together or will be the end of this groups run. A major implosion is not out of the question either unless Flip pushes the right buttons and gets a reign on things.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | December 11, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

"Gil shows no more lift at all. He now drives seeking to pass because he is afraid of his shot being blocked. Each game he exhibits less and less explosiveness. He needs to turn himself into a midrange shooter and forget trying to drive and forget the volume of 3s. His handle is also not back. He never made the kind of turnovers that we now see."

What? GA actually looked fresher, faster, quicker tonight than he has in a couple of weeks. He also absolutely needs to continue to drive to the basket and put pressure on the defense. That is what he does best and we saw that tonight. Does he elevate quite as well as he used to yet? Perhaps not, but then that would be a good reason for him to know where his teammates are for the open shot his drives create. What PG is not worried about getting his shot blocked when in the land of the giants?

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 11, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

That play was infuriating. Ab clearly put a body on perkins b/c he thought CB was gonna try to make a play VS. giving ray and escort to the basket. by the time he realized CB was just gonna watch the play it was too late,now AB's on a poster.

I kinda felt like AJ left Gil hangin on the Rondo drive too. Gil was definitely beat, but AJ seemed like he was in no hurry to get around perk to seal off the baseline.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so now YOU'RE starting the trade CB bandwagon. You can park yours next to the one we've had running for the past 2 weeks LMAO

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 11, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"The Wizards will unveiled a court black logo and a patch on Thursday to honor the legacy of Abe Pollin"

mike lee what the hell is a court black logo??????????

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 11, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse